Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney / Gyakuten Saiban is property of Capcom. This fansite is not affiliated with Capcom in any way and is entirely non-profit, by and for the fans. Content is available for personal download but DO NOT repost or alter any of the fan created works you find here without permission. And please, no hot-linking. For comments, questions, and submissions contact webmaster Croik at courtrecord @ gmail.com.
January 22nd, 2017The first showing of the 15th anniversary event is over, and news is trickling out on Twitter!
While it sounds like there was no new game announcements, DGS2 was shown off with a new trailer and confirmed to be for the 3DS only.
We'll keep you posted with more info as it comes!
A few other things from the event:
-The "Ace Attorney Complete Works 2001-2016" will be released 3/21. 334 pages.
-A new AA 15th anniversary concert will be held on May 6th.
-The DGS2 trailer ends with a mysterious silhouette. Twitter buzz says it's a certain red-headbanded defense attorney... Bolt Storm
January 20th, 2017[center">[/center">
It's been a while since we've had any major Ace Attorney news, so why don't we change that?
This weekend marks the Ace Attorney 15th Anniversary event in Japan! On January 22nd, a slew of AA cast and crew, including directors Takumi and Yamazaki, producer Eshiro, much of the voice cast, and composer Iwadare and his Justice Super Band will be putting on a show at Urayasu's Maihama Amphitheater, with one show in the afternoon at 13:30 JST and one in the evening at 18:00 JST. For those of us not in Japan, that means the first show starts at 8:30 PM PT/11:30 PM ET/5:30 AM CET on the 21st/22nd, respectively.
Ordinarily this would be where we plugged a livestream viewing, but... this isn't a livestreamed event! This isn't too surprising given the need to purchase tickets to attend, but it does mean we'll be largely in the dark on the status of the show unless an attendee whips out Twitter. And it's likely a good chunk of what goes on there (voice cast comments, performances, etc.) won't really make the same impact in tweets or post-performance reports by Famitsu.
But all that said - if nothing else, we can probably expect a good amount of AA news to come out of the event! Five years ago, the 10th anniversary celebration was where they showed off more of Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright, as well as where they announced Dual Destinies for the first time. While we probably shouldn't expect Ace Attorney 7 to be announced (they've still barely started to promote DGS2!) it's likely we'll get more info on DGS2, other non-game Ace Attorney stuff (new musicals, films, plays, concerts, animes, etc.), and maybe a tease for the future of the series.
In any event, prolific Japanese AA blogger @hoso_boso will be attending, and it's likely that Famitsu and other gaming news sites will be posting reports about the event. And if there are major announcements, the official Japanese AA channels will likely post them as well. We'll keep you all posted with news as it comes!
[The Court-Records Original Character Contest is taking entries until the 29th!"> Bolt Storm
January 14th, 2017[center">[/center">
Apologies for pulling this out at the last minute - but then again, if you've been following us for a few years, this may not be a huge surprise!
We recently ran a poll and found that a lot of people had interest in the OC Contest but didn't have the time/weren't fully aware of what it was, so we're extending the deadline by two weeks, to 11:59 PM PST, January 29th, 2017. This way, more people can enter! If you have already entered, feel free to revise your entry.
Finally, we've gotten a few reports of bugs while submitting here and there - please report any trouble you run into! (Such is the nature of the beta.)
Once again, the contest page is this way for all the details. The short version? Come up with an original Ace Attorney character and depict them in a story, piece of art, or sprites, and you could win some solid Ace Attorney swag (and eternal glory, as long as you have a very loose definition of eternal.)
Best of luck! Bolt Storm
January 12th, 2017[center">[/center">
Happy Thursday(/early/not-so-early Friday)!
Itís been a while since weíve done this, so to reintroduce: whenever thereís a livestream of AA stuff (or Nintendo/major gaming things), we like to gather everyone together to watch and chat as things go down using Cytube.
Tonight Nintendo shows off the Nintendo Switch in detail for the first time, with plenty of game announcements expected. While Ace Attorney news isnít likely, why not come watch with fellow AA fans?
The show starts at 8 PM PST, which is a little over half an hour from this initial post. Come on by then! Bolt Storm
January 1st, 2017January 1st is actually over by this point in a good chunk of the world, but oh well!
2017 looks to be an interesting one for Ace Attorney; in just three weeks we've got the 15th Anniversary Special Court event, Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2 is on the horizon, and series producer Eshiro has dropped plenty of hints that there's more AA stuff coming in the pipeline. Oh, and there's a new Nintendo console/handheld coming out; who knows if Phoenix and friends will be making the jump to HD soon?
On the home front, C-R's long overdue redesign is still cooking, so head on over and try to break things - and there's still two weeks (until January 15th) to enter the "2016" Original Character Contest!
This might not be as fancy a post as we had last year, but the sentiment remains - a happy new year to all our members and visitors, and as always our thanks for stopping by and talking shop on Ace Attorney. Here's to a good, non-objectionable year! Bolt Storm
December 31st, 2016
Happy New Year, fellow Ace Attorney fans!
We'd like to kick off the new year by releasing a taste of what's to come with the translated Demo of The Great Ace Attorney - The Adventure of Ryuunosuke Naruhodou. We're sorry we couldn't finish Episode 1 in time for New Year's, but please enjoy this until it's ready. Let us know what you think.
This free fan-translation uses the dialogue font of Dual Destinies, so you will need to own a version of it in order to play our patch. Team If would like to remind you that we DO NOT support piracy - so please, please don't share a completed CIA with other people. We know the patcher is not very user-friendly yet, at the time of the release it was less then one day old. It will be much better in time for our Episode 1 release.
Fellow fan-translators: we would absolutely love to see The Great Ace Attorney translated into many, many more languages, so fans all around the world can enjoy it. We're working on a program to take in "representatives" of other groups to work closely with our translators, so you can get all the nuances right in your native language. We're currently not sure when we can start with this program, because it shouldn't interfere with our releases of the English Episodes, so please be patient and don't just steal our work.
Regarding voice-acting: we're not sure what we're going to do here, to be honest. We may offer an alternative patch with voice-acting in the future, but no promises yet. We'll see.
It's no secret among Ace Attorney fans that our decision not to localize character names and re-locating the story to the US is controversial. We hope you will understand our decision (which was unanimous among our translators), after you've played Episode one. We still tried to keep the typical "Ace Attorney feel" and we do try to localize jokes and references so they work in English, but the nature of the Game - in our humble opinion - makes white-washing the main cast impossible. Yes, we're aware of a completed translation script that does exactly that. As a team, we disgree with the direction it went, we believe the "liberties" it took to fit the Game into previous localisations were way to drastic, even for Ace Attorney standards. The resulting change of atmosphere and even character's personalities were simply too much for us to accept. You can form your own opinion on this matter by playing our take on the translation before condemning it.
Remember - we're fans, too!
-- Team If - DGS Division
[spoiler=Install instructions - PLEASE READ THESE">Prerequisites: You need to have the newest version of FBI (at least 2.4.5), the original DGS Demo and ONE version of Dual Destinies installed on your Home Menu:
* Dual Destinies EU Demo
* Dual Destinies EU Full Version
* Dual Destinies US Demo
* Dual Destinies US Full Version
1) Extract the contents of the archive into a folder.
2) Put the 3DS/DDFontDumper folder into the 3DS folder on your SD card, so it will look like this:
3) Launch it via the Homebrew Launcher. It will dump Dual Destinies' font archive to the root of your SD card:
4) Use Decrypt9 do create a decrypted CIA of your LEGALLY installed DGS Demo:
[Content Decryptor Options"> > [CIA Builder Options"> > [CIA Builder (SysNAND/decr.)">
5) Put both the dd_font.bin and the decrypted CIA (should be in sd:/D9Game/ or sd:/files9/) into the folder you made in the first step and rename the CIA "demo.cia" (without quotation marks, of course).
6) Run build.bat to create "demo_english.cia". If all went well, you can now install this new CIA with FBI. Make sure once again it's at least version 2.4.5![/spoiler">
Last, but not least: we are still looking for a skilled reverse engineer (knowledge of ARM ASM and the 3DS in particular would be great) to help us figure out some of the remaining mysteries of the game. Other helping hands for inserting and proof-reading text can apply as well, but please note that we do not take testers.
[spoiler=FAQs - PLEASE READ FIRST BEFORE POSTING">FAQs:
* The font dumper crashed on me...
- Did you use homebrew launcher 1.1.1? Is Dual Destinies installed? Did you try again?
* Why not make the dumper a CIA?
- Technical reasons. A home menu installed app can't easily access another RomFS.
* I got an error building the CIA: Game CXI hash invalid...
- That means you either dumped the wrong CIA or it's still encrypted. Read the instructions once more and try again.
* The CIA installed, but the label is empty and it crashes when I start it
- Did you see us asking you to update to the latest FBI 2.4.5? Yeah, it was about that. Delete title 000400020014AD02 from the Titles menu in FBI and try again with the newest version...
* Why not just release a CIA?
- Because that would be illegal.
* OK, but why not just include the font?
- Again, because that would be illegal. We don't want to be shut down before we release our first episode.
* Isn't this just going to end up in the usual places anyway?
- Probably, though we urge you - please! - don't do it.
* There's still some bugs/untranslated text/one pixel off
- Yeah, we know. It was either that or no release for New Year's...
* [Generic translation nitpicking">
- Japanese is a contextual language that can't be translated 100% accurate. It will always be more of an interpretation, but our translators know their stuff and did tons of research and revisions together with the proof-readers.
* [Generic technical nitpicking">
- Yeah, we know. That's why we'd like to have a reliable reverse engineer...
* OMG! I LUV YOU GAIS ARE THA BEST!!!1!
- Hehe, we love you guys, too. Happy New Years![/spoiler">
https://mega.nz/#!OM9BEayR!NFcBpu9qTo9C ... mafSzYWgUY
https://mega.nz/#!LBcUiSbR!Bcyfr-w9yXdS ... Li79McxkBM
PS: Yes, "People", not "Profiles"...
PPS: Yes, "Post Mortem" - it's not a complete autopsy and the Japanese word was different, too... Uwabami
December 21st, 2016[center">[/center">
You might remember that a little while back, commemorative CDs for Phoenix and Apollo were announced, to be released in January. At the time they listed two unknown bonus tracks, but today they have been revealed: "Phoenix Wright ~ Objection! 15th Celebration", a piano mix, and "A New Trial is in Session!" a vocal version of Apollo's theme.
Yes, you heard that right. (And here's Phoenix's mix for good measure.)
As a reminder, the CDs are up for grabs in our 2016 OC Contest, and here's the full tracklists:
[spoiler=Phoenix CD tracklist">01. Phoenix Wright ~ Objection! 2001
02. Maya Fey ~ Turnabout Sisters' Theme 2001
03. Reminiscing ~ Heartbroken Maya
04. Dick Gumshoe ~ Detective Gumshoe, Pal!
05. Larry Butz ~ When Something Smells, It's Usually Me
06. Pearl Fey ~ With Pearly
07. Miles Edgeworth ~ Grand Revival 2013
08. Reminiscing ~ DL-6 Incident
09. Confess the Truth 2004
10. Godot ~ The Fragrance of Dark Coffee
11. Phoenix Wright ~ Objection! 2013
12. Cross-Examination ~ Allegro 2001
13. Grand Revival ~ Franziska von Karma
14. Prosecutor's Murmur ~ Until We Meet Again
15. Rayfa Padma Khura'in ~ The Unyielding High Priestess
16. Pursuit ~ Keep Pressing On
17. Turnabout Sisters' Ballad
18. Phoenix Wright ~ Objection! 15th Celebration[/spoiler">
[spoiler=Apollo CD tracklist">01. Apollo Justice ~ A New Chapter of Trials!
02. Trucy's Theme ~ Child of Magic
03. Troupe Gramarye 2016
04. The Guitar's Serenade
05. Ema Skye ~ Scientist Detective 2016
06. Klavier Gavin ~ Guilty Love
07. Lamiroir ~ The Landscape Artist in Sound
08. Bobby Fulbright ~ In Justice We Trust!
09. Athena Cykes ~ Let's Do This!
10. Simon Blackquill ~ Distorted Swordsmanship
11. Nahyuta ~ The Last Rites Prosecutor
12. Dhurke ~ A Dragon Never Yields
13. Athena Cykes ~ Courtroom Revolutionnaire
14. Cross-Examination ~ Allegro 2007
15. Pursuit ~ Gotta Corner It
16. Reminiscing ~ A Smile, No Matter What
17. Won the Case! ~ Our Victory
18. A New Trial is in Session![/spoiler"> Bolt Storm
December 17th, 2016Via Hosoboso: Tsutaya has an entry for an upcoming novel, titled Gyakuten Saiban - Gyakuten no Airport (Tentative) (Ace Attorney - Turnabout Airport). The book will be released in February.
This book appears to be a sequel to last summer's Turnabout Idol. That novel was released in Kadokawa's Tsubasa Bunko line, a line for children's fiction. The author for both books is Mie Takase, who basides writing mystery and light novels, has also written several novelizations of games like Kirby and Fire Emblem.
I love Turnabout Idol by the way, and I was already hoping this would become a series, so yay!
(Turnabout Airport is not to be confused with Turnabout of the Time Traveler, another original story based on Ace Attorney, which will start serialization in Hayakawa's Mystery Magazine starting with the March issue (on sale late January)) Ash
December 15th, 2016While things have been pretty quiet on the news front, we are still technically in the middle of AA's 15th anniversary celebrations - and to, well, celebrate, Capcom has released four new pieces of art commemorating the series!
In tags to save space:
[spoiler=Ace Attorney 1, 2, 3 by Tatsurou Iwamoto">[/spoiler">
[spoiler=Ace Attorney 4, 5, 6 by Takuro Fuse">[/spoiler">
[spoiler=Ace Attorney Investigations by Tatsurou Iwamoto">[/spoiler">
[spoiler=Dai Gyakuten Saiban by Kazuya Nuri">[/spoiler">
[The Court-Records Original Character Contest 2016 is here!"> Bolt Storm
December 6th, 2016[center">[/center">
Well, it's not particularly clear if this was on purpose for the English release (which was slated for Thursday last we heard), but Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney is now available on Google Play worldwide!
Interestingly, this version of the game is USD $15.99 up front from the get-go for the whole game, unlike the iOS version which was USD $0.99 for the first half of case 1 and had the rest of the game a la carte.
[The Court-Records Original Character Contest 2016 is here!"> Bolt Storm
Croik's Current Priorities
The last of the GS1-3 sprites are going up. Before I move on to GS4 I'm taking a break from sprites to update the scripts.
If you want to affiliate, send in your button!
Important AA dates
October 22nd: CR's Pre-T&T Celebration
October 23rd: T&T American release date