Spoiler: Turnabout in the Shadows Chapter 8: Confrontation: Mystery Zangaru Ninja
The ninja stared at me for a moment. "Say that again, outsider." he spat.
"What would you gain from killing me?" I repeated. "Ninjas do not kill unless it is required of them, or as a last resort. Meaning all you have done is spout off idle threats at me."
"You know nothing, outsider!" the ninja growled, but I could tell I hit a nerve.
"Then why are we still having this conversation?" I asked, tossing back my scarf. "If I had to die, you would've done it already. Clearly, there's something holding you back."
"Nothing but discipline." the ninja snapped automatically. "Trust me, I want nothing more than to plunge my kunai through your back."
"Then I'll ask again." I said. "What would you gain from killing me?"
The ninja snorted. "I suppose it would be proper to grant a dying man his last wish. Very well."
"A Zangaru ninja strikes swiftly, and leaves no trace behind." said the ninja. "You are a trace of our most recent job. Therefore, it is my task to remove you. There is no other reason."
"Need I remind you that if you wanted to kill me, you would've done so by now." I said.
"You have quite a death wish, outsider." the ninja snarled, giving me the evil eye.
"You sure you know what you're doing, Faraday?" asked Badd. "This guy looks like trouble."
"I've already demonstrated that I know more than he thinks I do." I said. "I am certain he has no reason to kill me. Besides, if anything goes wrong, I have my partner to back me up."
Badd gave me a half-smirk. "Just keep your wits about you, Faraday. I'm not always gonna be here... to pull your ass out of the fire."
"Let's focus on the present for now, Badd." I said, turning back to the ninja. "Now then, I have a few questions about your argument."
"You are only delaying the inevitable, but very well." said the ninja. "We'll play it your way for now."
With that, he repeated his argument.
"You are a trace of our most recent job."
"
So you admit that it was the Zangaru clan that murdered Mr. Folovski?" I inquired.
"Even if we did, what good would it do you?" the ninja retorted.
"It would give me a reason to arrest you, for one."
The ninja laughed. "A Zangaru ninja is never caught without reason, outsider."
"Yes, I am aware of that." I said. "Let me ask you something else then. How am I connected to this murder?"
"You know too much." the ninja stated.
"About what?"
"Why should I tell you when you already know?"
That was a good question. He had no reason to expound on what he thought I already knew. But the question remained: What did he think I knew? The answer seemed painfully obvious. But perhaps it was a little too obvious.
"Add that statement to your argument." I said.
The ninja growled, and complied.
"You know too much."
"
" I exclaimed, tossing back my scarf. "I have to disagree with you there."
The ninja's eyes went wide. "What do you mean?! You already know about the Zangaru clan!"
"That's what you wanted me to say." I said. "And that in turn might give you reason to kill me, albeit it wouldn't be nearly enough. But that's not really what you're talking about, it is?"
The ninja merely stared at me, so I continued.
"You said earlier that I was connected to your recent operation." I said. "The only connection I could have in that case is if I already knew everything there is to know about this murder. But that is not the case."
I presented the autopsy report.
"As you can see from this report, our forensic team has been working around the clock trying to diagnose the cause of Mr. Folovski's death. They have reached no conclusions as of yet. If it's taking trained physicians this long to determine the cause of death, how can you expect me to know anything they don't?!"
"Hyah!"
As the ninja recoiled from my logic, a kunai flew past my ear.
"Th-that is not what I'm talking about, either!" he sputtered. "You know the clan was here! That is reason enough to kill you!"
"Is it?" I asked. "Because I have no reason to arrest you right now, at least not on the charge of homicide."
"What are you talking about?" the ninja growled.
"There's only one piece of evidence tying to the Zangaru clan, even though according to you, there should be none." I said. "And this is the evidence I'm referring to."
I presented the kunai Wren left for me.
"
There was a kunai found on the crime scene, tipped with a special neurotoxin. It's obvious from this evidence that the Zangaru clan had intended to kill Mr. Folovski last night. There are two problems with this. One, there's no way to tell that the kunai is the murder weapon, as I stated earlier. There are multiple causes of death, and we don't know which one happened first. Second, for a clan of ninjas who leave no trace behind, it would be unlikely that you would let something like this go unnoticed. From this evidence, I am able to deduce that Mr. Folovski was not your true target! This was nothing more than another Zangaru trap!"
The ninja snickered. "Bravo, outsider. You figured it out. Now, I have reason to kill you."
"WHAT?!"
I recoiled from this revelation, feeling like an idiot. This was part of his plan! Badd drew his gun.
"You're not killing anyone today... pal." he rumbled.
"You honestly think that threatens me?" the ninja scoffed. "Both of you will be dead before you can..."
"Not so fast!"
Before he could finish, Wren appeared from nowhere and grabbed the assailant in a sleeper hold.
"So much for your so-called 'discipline'." she said mockingly. "He's right, you know. You have no reason to kill him."
The assailant sputtered angrily and gasped for air as Wren maintained her hold. Finally, he passed out.
"Now you see why you need me?" she asked.
"I still want to know what you're up to." I said. I then added: "Thanks."
"Don't mention it." said Wren. "Listen, that was some pretty good reasoning there, but you're not even close to scratching the surface."
"Oh, and I suppose you know everything, just like last time." I said.
Wren rubbed the back of her head sheepishly. "Actually, I don't have a clue."
"You don't?!"
This was quite a shock. Thus far, Wren had seemed confident and cocky, to the point where I knew she was hiding something. How was she on the same page we were?
"
I'm not buying it." growled Badd. "How can we trust you?"
"Hey, how about some gratitude?" said Wren indignantly. "I just saved your asses."
"And we don't know why." I said.
"Do I need a reason?" Wren retorted. "I'm just as human as you are, you know."
"Meaning you have vices as well as virtues." I said. "If you want me to trust you, maybe you can start by telling me what you're after."
"And where's the fun in that?" said Wren coyly. "You have a sharp mind, Byrne Faraday. Use it."
With that, she disappeared, dragging the unconscious ninja into the shadows with her.
"That woman seems to have a talent for getting on my nerves." growled Badd, putting away his gun.
"Strangely enough, I've gotten used to it." I said. "Although I still want to know what she's after."
Badd raised an eyebrow. "Why's that?"
"It could be important to the case at hand."
"Well, no argument there." said Badd. "Still, keep your head in the game, Faraday."
"I know, I know." I said. "Well, for now I suggest we put the Zangaru clan aside for a moment. Let's divert our focus back to the Russian Mafia. They are major players in this, as well."
"Do you think Mr. Tevya will have any information?" asked Badd.
"I was thinking more along the lines of Mr. Folovski's successor, Dirk." I said. "Although, he might be less than cooperative."
"Aren't they always." sighed Badd. "Alright, let's see if he's up and around."
"Mr. Faraday, sir!"
A group of officers suddenly rushed up to us.
"We heard some kind of commotion up here. Are you alright?"
"We're fine, but that guy over there needs a hospital." said Badd. "I want all of you on high alert. If any of you see something suspicious, you contact me right away, got it?"
"Yes, sir!" said the officer with a salute. While they got to work, we headed back to the main lobby.
"What would you gain from killing me?" I repeated. "Ninjas do not kill unless it is required of them, or as a last resort. Meaning all you have done is spout off idle threats at me."
"You know nothing, outsider!" the ninja growled, but I could tell I hit a nerve.
"Then why are we still having this conversation?" I asked, tossing back my scarf. "If I had to die, you would've done it already. Clearly, there's something holding you back."
"Nothing but discipline." the ninja snapped automatically. "Trust me, I want nothing more than to plunge my kunai through your back."
"Then I'll ask again." I said. "What would you gain from killing me?"
The ninja snorted. "I suppose it would be proper to grant a dying man his last wish. Very well."
------------------------------
Argument: Why you must die
-----------------------------------
Argument: Why you must die
-----------------------------------
"A Zangaru ninja strikes swiftly, and leaves no trace behind." said the ninja. "You are a trace of our most recent job. Therefore, it is my task to remove you. There is no other reason."
"Need I remind you that if you wanted to kill me, you would've done so by now." I said.
"You have quite a death wish, outsider." the ninja snarled, giving me the evil eye.
"You sure you know what you're doing, Faraday?" asked Badd. "This guy looks like trouble."
"I've already demonstrated that I know more than he thinks I do." I said. "I am certain he has no reason to kill me. Besides, if anything goes wrong, I have my partner to back me up."
Badd gave me a half-smirk. "Just keep your wits about you, Faraday. I'm not always gonna be here... to pull your ass out of the fire."
"Let's focus on the present for now, Badd." I said, turning back to the ninja. "Now then, I have a few questions about your argument."
"You are only delaying the inevitable, but very well." said the ninja. "We'll play it your way for now."
With that, he repeated his argument.
"You are a trace of our most recent job."
"
So you admit that it was the Zangaru clan that murdered Mr. Folovski?" I inquired."Even if we did, what good would it do you?" the ninja retorted.
"It would give me a reason to arrest you, for one."
The ninja laughed. "A Zangaru ninja is never caught without reason, outsider."
"Yes, I am aware of that." I said. "Let me ask you something else then. How am I connected to this murder?"
"You know too much." the ninja stated.
"About what?"
"Why should I tell you when you already know?"
That was a good question. He had no reason to expound on what he thought I already knew. But the question remained: What did he think I knew? The answer seemed painfully obvious. But perhaps it was a little too obvious.
"Add that statement to your argument." I said.
The ninja growled, and complied.
"You know too much."
"
" I exclaimed, tossing back my scarf. "I have to disagree with you there."The ninja's eyes went wide. "What do you mean?! You already know about the Zangaru clan!"
"That's what you wanted me to say." I said. "And that in turn might give you reason to kill me, albeit it wouldn't be nearly enough. But that's not really what you're talking about, it is?"
The ninja merely stared at me, so I continued.
"You said earlier that I was connected to your recent operation." I said. "The only connection I could have in that case is if I already knew everything there is to know about this murder. But that is not the case."
I presented the autopsy report.
"As you can see from this report, our forensic team has been working around the clock trying to diagnose the cause of Mr. Folovski's death. They have reached no conclusions as of yet. If it's taking trained physicians this long to determine the cause of death, how can you expect me to know anything they don't?!"
"Hyah!"
As the ninja recoiled from my logic, a kunai flew past my ear.
"Th-that is not what I'm talking about, either!" he sputtered. "You know the clan was here! That is reason enough to kill you!"
"Is it?" I asked. "Because I have no reason to arrest you right now, at least not on the charge of homicide."
"What are you talking about?" the ninja growled.
"There's only one piece of evidence tying to the Zangaru clan, even though according to you, there should be none." I said. "And this is the evidence I'm referring to."
I presented the kunai Wren left for me.
"
There was a kunai found on the crime scene, tipped with a special neurotoxin. It's obvious from this evidence that the Zangaru clan had intended to kill Mr. Folovski last night. There are two problems with this. One, there's no way to tell that the kunai is the murder weapon, as I stated earlier. There are multiple causes of death, and we don't know which one happened first. Second, for a clan of ninjas who leave no trace behind, it would be unlikely that you would let something like this go unnoticed. From this evidence, I am able to deduce that Mr. Folovski was not your true target! This was nothing more than another Zangaru trap!"The ninja snickered. "Bravo, outsider. You figured it out. Now, I have reason to kill you."
"WHAT?!"
I recoiled from this revelation, feeling like an idiot. This was part of his plan! Badd drew his gun.
"You're not killing anyone today... pal." he rumbled.
"You honestly think that threatens me?" the ninja scoffed. "Both of you will be dead before you can..."
"Not so fast!"
Before he could finish, Wren appeared from nowhere and grabbed the assailant in a sleeper hold.
"So much for your so-called 'discipline'." she said mockingly. "He's right, you know. You have no reason to kill him."
The assailant sputtered angrily and gasped for air as Wren maintained her hold. Finally, he passed out.
"Now you see why you need me?" she asked.
"I still want to know what you're up to." I said. I then added: "Thanks."
"Don't mention it." said Wren. "Listen, that was some pretty good reasoning there, but you're not even close to scratching the surface."
"Oh, and I suppose you know everything, just like last time." I said.
Wren rubbed the back of her head sheepishly. "Actually, I don't have a clue."
"You don't?!"
This was quite a shock. Thus far, Wren had seemed confident and cocky, to the point where I knew she was hiding something. How was she on the same page we were?
"
I'm not buying it." growled Badd. "How can we trust you?""Hey, how about some gratitude?" said Wren indignantly. "I just saved your asses."
"And we don't know why." I said.
"Do I need a reason?" Wren retorted. "I'm just as human as you are, you know."
"Meaning you have vices as well as virtues." I said. "If you want me to trust you, maybe you can start by telling me what you're after."
"And where's the fun in that?" said Wren coyly. "You have a sharp mind, Byrne Faraday. Use it."
With that, she disappeared, dragging the unconscious ninja into the shadows with her.
"That woman seems to have a talent for getting on my nerves." growled Badd, putting away his gun.
"Strangely enough, I've gotten used to it." I said. "Although I still want to know what she's after."
Badd raised an eyebrow. "Why's that?"
"It could be important to the case at hand."
"Well, no argument there." said Badd. "Still, keep your head in the game, Faraday."
"I know, I know." I said. "Well, for now I suggest we put the Zangaru clan aside for a moment. Let's divert our focus back to the Russian Mafia. They are major players in this, as well."
"Do you think Mr. Tevya will have any information?" asked Badd.
"I was thinking more along the lines of Mr. Folovski's successor, Dirk." I said. "Although, he might be less than cooperative."
"Aren't they always." sighed Badd. "Alright, let's see if he's up and around."
"Mr. Faraday, sir!"
A group of officers suddenly rushed up to us.
"We heard some kind of commotion up here. Are you alright?"
"We're fine, but that guy over there needs a hospital." said Badd. "I want all of you on high alert. If any of you see something suspicious, you contact me right away, got it?"
"Yes, sir!" said the officer with a salute. While they got to work, we headed back to the main lobby.

