Board index » Present Evidence » Present Testimony

Page 2 of 7[ 247 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Re: That Look (Phoenix/Maya)Topic%20Title

Mr. Step-ladder

That's a great chapter. It's beginning to sound more and more like the Nick we know and love at investigations. I'm pretty sure the ending will unfold itself along the way (After all you write ahead of the next chapter, right?).

Also it seems I've mysteriously stopped finishing the fanart... Well, in reality, I'm perfecting it. Trying to perfectly imitate the GS post-cards. (I'll post them one at a time now... Tomorrow in chronological order. :payne: )
Always strive to improve, not compare to others! - Arkillian
Purple Angel wins infinity cookies for this signiture! Who may come back soon!
Re: That Look (Phoenix/Maya)Topic%20Title

purplepjs

icer wrote:
Ah. Such a tragic chapter title. (And I have enough trouble thinking up titles for entire stories...) Yes, this is sad. I can't wait to see where this is heading... I'm grateful for the frequent updates. Have you thought of an ending, BTW? Is the fic going to include the disbarring/timeline? Let's hope Maya doesn't end up like in that one fanfic somebody wanted me to write...

Yeah I love writing and I write fast which I guess is a good thing. I started this fic as a simple idea to help get rid of some writer rust and now its blown out to nine chapters and still going strong! Holy moly, I think I've even got a sequel starting to form in my head too. Ending is written - the last chapter was one of the first ones I wrote. I have a basic story plan that I am working off and evolving as I go along.

It will fit with the disbarring timeline, though my ending will be in no way tragic and will definitely leave room for my possible sequel.

Ardee wrote:
That's a great chapter. It's beginning to sound more and more like the Nick we know and love at investigations. I'm pretty sure the ending will unfold itself along the way (After all you write ahead of the next chapter, right?).

Also it seems I've mysteriously stopped finishing the fanart... Well, in reality, I'm perfecting it. Trying to perfectly imitate the GS post-cards. (I'll post them one at a time now... Tomorrow in chronological order. :payne: )

Yep it's all planned and it will be finished. Good art takes time man, everyone knows that. I'm thrilled that you're drawing for my fic to begin with, I'm not about to go hustling you along.

Okay, next chapter. Longest yet. Hope you'll like. We need some fluff all up in here.

Spoiler: Chapter 9 - The Simplest Truth
It was late in the evening by the time the weary trio reached Hazakurain. Regardless, both Sister Bikini and Iris were eagerly awaiting their arrival, braving the cold weather down by the main gate.

Maya watched Iris greet Phoenix with an emotional hug and dazzling smile. Phoenix smiled back sheepishly, placing a hand at the back of his head as he often did when he was embarrassed. She studied Iris’s face as she batted her long lashes.

“How could I ever compete with someone like that? She’s gorgeous...” Maya thought sadly to herself, trudging along behind the pair who were now chatting happily.

An audible growl from Maya’s stomach made everyone stop and giggle.

“Awesome, Maya.” She thought sarcastically. “Could you be any more sophisticated right now?”

Embarrassment aside, she was relieved to hear that her hosts had prepared a hot meal of beef stew in expectation of their guests being hungry and tired after making the long trip. After taking their luggage to their rooms, they were led to the main hall where dinner awaited them.

They ate in silence. Pearl was far too exhausted for her usual chit chat, and Maya still wanted to avoid any more of Phoenix’s questions. She decided keeping quiet was probably the best way to make sure they didn’t repeat the exchange from the train trip. Maybe if he thought she was tired, he would let things be.

Pearl and Maya both finished their food quickly, while a distracted Phoenix appeared to be picking at his food. Maya excused herself in order to put Pearl to bed, while Phoenix remained at the small table.

Before long, Bikini entered the room and began cleaning up the plates.

“Mr Wright,” she said happily. “I really can’t thank you enough for everything you have done for my Iris.”

“It was nothing.” Phoenix said, wiping his mouth with a napkin. “Just doing my job.”

“Nonsense! You went above and beyond the call of duty if you ask me.” Bikini said as she continued to gather up Maya and Pearl’s empty plates. “I must say, I was surprised that you wanted to visit again so soon. But I am glad. It’s so nice to have visitors here.” She chirped happily.

Phoenix nodded. She wasn’t the only one. He felt pretty clueless about the whole deal as well. He frowned, wondering again why Maya was so insistent on their trip. The faint sounds of a bell could be heard, ringing off in the distance.

“My goodness! Is that the time!” Bikini exclaimed. If you’ll excuse me, Mr Wright, I have much to do! I still have many things to prepare seeing as Mystic Maya has requested to take the Special Course again during her visit! Ho ho!”

“She what?” Phoenix said, slamming his hand down on the table, a lot harder than either of them were expecting. Bikini immediately ceased her signature chuckle and looked a little startled. Despite the rather intimidating glare on his face, Phoenix was a little startled himself.

“Well...” Bikini started, nervously bringing a hand up to fidget with her hood. “She phoned a few days ago...I didn’t think it would be a problem...I...”

Phoenix closed his eyes and took a deep breath as she spoke.

“It’s fine, Sister Bikini.” Phoenix interrupted. “I’m very sorry for scaring you. I just... wasn’t aware of Maya’s plans.”

Bikini nodded and wasted no time scurrying out of the room, leaving Phoenix behind. He felt terrible for glaring at her like he did; he had once again reacted without thinking. He could admit that he did that a lot when it came to Maya. He stood and made his way to the door, taking a left and heading down the corridor to where the guest rooms were. He needed to have words with a certain spirit medium.

Maya quietly slid the screen door to her room open, stepping through before closing it behind her. She had passed Phoenix’s room on her way back after putting Pearl to bed, and saw no light coming from inside. She assumed he was either still at the main hall, or had already gone to sleep. If he had indeed gone to bed, then that meant he was still mad at her.

She turned around, only to find a familiar figure sitting in the window seat across the room, chin resting on his hands as his elbows rested on his knees. The pensive expression on his face only completed the picture; telling Maya he was not in a good mood.

“Jeez Nick!” she said, bringing a hand to her heart. “You scared the daylights out of me. What are you doing here?”

Phoenix sat up straight, bringing his hands to his knees.

“Bikini told me you’re doing the special course.” He said coolly.

Maya nodded slowly. Busted. “I figured since I’m here, why waste the opportunity?” she said nonchalantly, hoping her flippant attitude would rub off on Phoenix. No such luck.

Phoenix’s jaw tensed. He looked away from her, glowering.

“Any reason why you chose not to tell me?” he asked bitterly. Maya placed a hand on her hip. She was beginning to feel slightly affronted by the way he was speaking to her.

“I’m so sorry Nick!” She said sarcastically. “I completely forgot I have to clear everything with you first.”

“Don’t be so ridiculous Maya,” Phoenix responded, shaking his head at her immature response. “Why don’t you see that it’s too much? The piles of books, the constant studying, the meeting at Kurain and now this. It’s got to stop Maya.”

Maya crossed her arms, looking away indignantly.

“What’s so wrong with me taking a little responsibility? Kurain Master isn’t exactly an easy job, Nick. I had to grow up sometime and I have a lot to learn. A lot of people are going to rely on me you know.” She said sternly.

“There’s nothing wrong with that.” Phoenix said. “But there IS something wrong with you pushing yourself so hard like this!” he finished, raising his voice.

“I know what I can handle, Nick. And I’m doing just fine!” Maya countered. Phoenix stood, raking a hand through his spikes in exasperation.

“No, you aren’t.” he stated. He stared at her disapprovingly. Maya threw her hands in the air. She was getting tired of this conversation.

“You don’t know the first thing about how I’m feeling. You don’t get it. I know you have this insatiable need to save everybody all the time, but we don’t all need saving, Nick. I said I’m fine and I meant I am. Now drop it. Please!” Maya snapped.

Phoenix felt himself getting angry.

“So this is how you’re dealing with it?” he snapped back. Maya grimaced. She knew what he was referring to. “She wouldn’t want to see you like this, you know.”

Maya sighed heavily. She was tired. She didn’t want to fight anymore. Tears started to well up in her eyes.

“She was so great, Nick…” she said, blinking away some tears. “They all expect me to be just like her. To be better than her.”

Phoenix sighed; this was the first time Maya had given him any indication of what was really going on.

“So you’re just going to let them order you around?” he asked her. “You’re going to agree with everything they say?”

“What else can I do?” she asked, annoyed. Phoenix shook his head.

“You’re the Master of Kurain, Maya. Not the slave.”

Maya scowled.

“My mother died protecting my future, Nick. The future of Kurain.” She argued.

“No, Maya. Your mother died protecting YOU. Her daughter.” Phoenix stated. “You’re not ready for what they are pushing you into, and you know that.”

“None of that matters, Nick. This is my burden. Whether I had years to prepare or not doesn’t matter at all. You can’t always argue your way out of things. Life isn’t a courtroom, you know.” She looked away from his piercing gaze.

“It’s not always fair.” Maya finished dejectedly, looking at the floor.

“So what, you’re just giving up your life? Just because they said you have to?” Phoenix cried. He couldn’t believe that Maya was resigning herself to what seemed like a lifetime of servitude. Maya huffed angrily. She just couldn’t make him understand.

“Nick, just leave it okay? I don’t get why you care so much! Why don’t you trust me when I say I’ll handle it?” she said resentfully. All Phoenix could do was stare at her.

“You don’t get why I care?” he asked incredulously. “What kind of friend do you think I am?”

Maya said nothing, refusing to meet his eyes. “Please.” She said quietly. “Just let me deal with it.”

Phoenix was hurt. Angry and hurt.

“Why am I even bothering…?” he said, striding towards the door.

“Nick…wait…” Maya cried out weakly. She didn’t want him to be mad at her anymore. But it was too late. Phoenix was gone.

Phoenix trudged briskly through the snow, his anger seeming to cool off with the help of the frigid air, but his frustration remaining. He couldn’t understand how she would allow herself to be used in such a way, especially by her own family. He growled in annoyance as his steps took a familiar path. It wasn’t long before he reached the rickety suspension bridge that led to the Inner Temple. He stood for a moment, eyeing Dusky Bridge warily as one would if they came across an old adversary. An overturned log sat close by, forming a bench of sorts about a metre and a half from the edge of the ravine. A torch burned brightly next to the bridge. Phoenix decided to sit for a while, and try to gather his thoughts.

He breathed out with a small huff, his breath visible against the cold Hazakurain night. But despite the chill factor and his lack of a jacket, he wasn’t ready to go back to his room yet.

Maya sat for a while after Phoenix had stormed out with her knees drawn up to her chest, crying softly.

“It’s all my fault.” She thought dismally. “I shouldn’t have yelled at him. He’s just trying to protect me.”

“He’s always trying to protect me.” She admitted aloud to herself, her voice tinged with sadness.

She stood up and wiped the tears from her eyes, eyes scanning the room before she located her large jacket. Slipping it on, she quietly slid the screen door open, and headed out into the night. Phoenix couldn’t have walked far. She would find him and apologise.

It wasn’t long before Phoenix heard light footsteps crunching in the snow, getting progressively louder as their owner headed in his direction. He stared straight ahead, looking out over the bridge, as the person approaching him finally reached their destination, taking a seat beside him on the log. Phoenix turned, expecting to see Maya, but was surprised to discover someone completely different.

“Iris...?” Phoenix stared.

The woman in question gave him a small smile as she pulled her hood back, revealing her dark hair underneath.

“I heard you yelling before. I wanted to make sure you were alright.” She said softly.

“You’re not going to push me into the river, are you?” he said, eyeing her with fake suspicion. She shook her head and looked at the ground, a small smile on her lips.

“I can assure you. I am Iris.”

Phoenix shook his head, chuckling lightly.

“I know that.” He said motioning to the hood she was wearing. She had told him that it protected her from evil spirits. Dahlia was a prime candidate for that title. “I’m sorry; it was a bad joke.” He paused for a moment before continuing. “I seem to be really good at saying the wrong thing lately.”

“I understand.” Iris said. The pair sat in silence for a while, before Iris spoke again.

“Did you want to talk about it?” she asked.

“Not much to talk about.” He shrugged, kicking idly at some snow near his foot. Iris seemed to accept his answer, and the quiet night surrounded them once more.

“Iris?” he asked eventually.

“Yes?”

“Have you ever wished things were completely different?”

She looked down, almost bitterly. His words struck a chord with her.

“Sometimes.” She admitted.

Phoenix continued to stare out into the darkness.

“We’ve both been through a lot, haven’t we?” he said, exhaling a breath he had been holding.

“We have.” She agreed, although she knew the question was rhetorical. The flickering light from the nearby lantern cast Phoenix’s face in shadows, making his expression unreadable.

“Who knows, Iris?” He murmured distantly. ” In a different world, we might have actually had a shot, you and I.”

Iris smiled sadly and let out a small sigh. She took one of his hands in hers, gently stroking her thumb over the back.

“Feenie...” she said softly.

He turned sharply to look at her, eyes wide. Her use of his old nickname made his heart lurch... although not in the way it used to. The name reminded him of things he no longer wanted to remember.

“...I’m flattered you would even consider that after everything I have done to you.”

Phoenix turned his attention forward once more, as Iris’s hold on his hand remained.

“You never asked to be born a twin, Iris.”

“Regardless,” she said, “I was.”

“Besides,” she added.” I know I am not the one who holds your heart in their hands.”

Phoenix scowled lightly. Just how badly did he wear his heart on his sleeve?

“So everyone keeps telling me...”

Iris brought her free hand up to pat Phoenix reassuringly on the back.

“I knew the moment I found out that you had tried to cross this bridge...”

Phoenix glared at the bridge. That large, unforgiving, inanimate object was proving to be his undoing.

“Forgive me,” Iris said with a slight pause, unsure whether to continue or not.”But I am afraid I did happen to overhear some of your argument with Mystic Maya...” Her voice was nervous. She hoped he wouldn’t think that she had been eavesdropping.

“I’m not surprised.” Phoenix said. “It did get kind of heated in there.”

Iris’s expression changed to one of concentration, and she blinked a few times before figuring out how to phrase what she wanted to say.

“I know...a lot about obligation...and a lot about how it feels to be manipulated...” she said painfully.

“Mystic Maya...she feels like she needs to sacrifice herself for her position, in the same way that her mother sacrificed her life. The Kurain Elders... they must realise she can be controlled right now...given everything that she has been through…” Iris continued.

“Mystic Maya is hurting because what she wants to do and what she has to do are two completely different things.”

Phoenix looked down at Iris, his heart wrenching at the sad expression on her face. He knew that a similar experience had left what would be a lifelong scar on the young woman.

“She doesn’t need you to protect her right now. She just needs someone to understand.” Iris said her voice barely above a whisper.

Phoenix said nothing, allowing himself a few moments to take in what Iris had said. She was probably one of the only people who were in a position to understand what Maya was going through. Letting go of his hand, Iris stood, and stepped over the log, pulling her hood back over her head.

“You should go back now, you’ll catch a cold.” She said, pausing as she took a few steps backward. She went to leave, but turned back to speak to Phoenix once more.

“You were always destined to be tangled up with the Fey women, Phoenix. I don’t think that will ever change.” She finished, turning and heading towards the main hall. Phoenix was once again left alone. He sat for a few moments longer before standing up and preparing to head back. As he walked the short distance to the main hall, he realised that Iris was right. And not just about the possibility of him catching a cold.

As the path Maya took turned towards Dusky Bridge she realised she had succeeded in locating Phoenix. But it appeared he wasn’t alone. In the distance she could see Phoenix sitting on a log near the bridge, as Iris held his hand and stroked his back.

Tears started to well up in her eyes all over again, and her heart lurched painfully in her chest. She tried to ignore it, squeezing her eyes shut and repeating over and over in her head that it didn’t bother her and that she was happy for them, but each time she did, she believed it less and less.

With a small cry she spun on her heels and ran back past the main hall, not slowing down until she was back inside her room. She closed the screen behind her, throwing off her jacket before moving towards the window seat that Phoenix had sat in earlier. Extinguishing the lantern on the small table as she walked by and grabbing a blanket from her futon, she sat in the darkness, watching the moon as its eerie blue light streamed through the window. She wrapped herself in the blanket and began to cry openly, no longer having the energy to hold back her tears.

Phoenix walked down the corridor that led to his room, pausing in from of Maya’s door. He could see through the screen that the lantern inside the room had been extinguished. Maya was probably asleep. He turned to leave again, but his feet felt as if they were glued to the spot. He sighed. As much as he didn’t want to wake her, he knew he wouldn’t be able to sleep if he didn’t apologise. Slowly, he nudged the screen open and slipped inside.

Maya, he discovered, wasn’t asleep at all. She sat in the window seat, wrapped in a large blanket, staring out into the night. She turned sharply when she heard the floorboard creak as he walked, surprised to see him. Her lashes glinted in the moonlight; he could see she had been crying. But then her expression changed. Phoenix could have sworn his heart stopped beating.

He couldn’t explain what he saw in her eyes then. He saw relief. He saw fear. He saw sadness mixed with happiness. He saw the last three years of his life and everything they had been through. But most of all, he could see how much she needed him.

He could see how much he needed her.

That look… He would remember it for the rest of his life. She had never looked so beautiful.

Transfixed by the beautiful creature before him, he walked silently to the window and sat next to her. A single tear trickled slowly down her face. Boldly, Phoenix lifted a hand to cup her cheek, wiping the tear away with his thumb. They stared at each other. He said nothing and neither did she. Words didn’t seem like they fit. Maya’s lip trembled, and finally, she let go of the anguish she had been bottling up inside.

This time, he was there for her.

He wrapped his arms around her, holding her close as she cried. Her head rested in the crook of his neck, and he could feel the moisture of her tears through the thin fabric of his shirt. They stayed that way for a long time, as Maya cried all the tears she needed to. Phoenix stroked her back as her sobs subsided, and before long she was silent. Thinking she had fallen asleep, Phoenix shifted slightly. He would carry her over to her futon so she could get some rest.

As Phoenix went to move, Maya looked up at him, their noses grazing each other. She clutched lightly at his shirt.

“Stay.” She breathed. Phoenix nodded gently, a silent agreement, their foreheads touching. He didn’t even need to think. He would have done anything she had asked.

He slid off his shoes and leaned back against the frame of the window seat, pulling Maya across his lap. He arranged the blanket so it covered the both of them and wrapped his arms around her waist as she rested her head on his shoulder. He would sleep here tonight.

It was then that the truth became abundantly clear. What he had felt for Dahlia Hawthorne was nothing more than a childish crush. Infatuation. But now he knew, and would finally admit to himself, that he was in love with Maya Fey.

YAY!
Re: That Look (Phoenix/Maya) CHAPTER 9 - 21/04Topic%20Title

So the reasoning behind the title becomes clear. That last part [3rd?] was a truly, truly beautiful scene, and I think it's going to get added to my highly contradictory head-canon. Iris seemed marginally OOC, but who cares.

I asked about the end because I was hoping you would actually finish it. When I first got into this pairing I read this fanfic, and the person updated, and updated, and then they stopped, leaving Maya on trial for murder and Phoenix and Maya in love with each other but unable to tell and oblivious to each other's feelings [and it was one of those awful post-AJ ones] and they have never completed it.

「これが、モノを殺すと言うことだ…!」

Kitty, allow me to kiss the back of your hand with the utmost respect. You just wrenched tears out of my eyes.
If videogames make murderers, then guns kill people and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
MyAnimeList | My PW/AA Stuff and Translations | My fic thread

Mr. Step-ladder

I agree with Shiki Tohno here (Although however sad, I can never ever cry except from getting hit in the head with a baseball bat). That chapter was beautiful, simply novel material. :acro:

To Remain Simple Inside

Your writing style is a gift.

I. Loved. Every. Word.

Did you post this on fanfiction.net? I want to fav+ it.

And... Please, continue soon.
Sorry for possible grammar mistakes. My english is not very good, ya know.
Click here to see my Rise From The Ashes Tribute

purplepjs

Awwww you guys! You sure know how to make a gal wanna keep writing! :sillytrucy:

icer wrote:
So the reasoning behind the title becomes clear.

Haha Yup. There was always going to be that one moment that shattered Nick's perfectly constructed defenses and made him see the truth. I just built the story around it.

icer wrote:
Iris seemed marginally OOC, but who cares.

I know. I had to turn her into someone slightly more three dimensional for the sake of the story. She's going to be OOC in the next chapter too. But I like this Iris better. She seems a little more mature and wise.

HerGoldenEyes wrote:
Did you post this on fanfiction.net? I want to fav+ it.

Yep. http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4960134/1/That_Look. Heheh thanks for your kind words too!

Next chapter in a few days. :-P

kitsune13 wrote:
I know. I had to turn [Iris] into someone slightly more three dimensional for the sake of the story. She's going to be OOC in the next chapter too. But I like this Iris better. She seems a little more mature and wise.

I know. Somebody hit her on the head in prison! =)
Quote:
Next chapter in a few days. :-P

Good, cause provided the story keeps to the same quality, this is definitely making my 'Top 5'. It might even be the favourite fic for this pairing of mine, since I always did want to see a scene like the last chapter between those two :nick-heart:

Trick & Logic

Thumbs up!
Kudos to you!
I like this story!

I never thought I would feel so strong with them! xD
The only time a lawyer can cry is when its all over.
~ Godot

~ You know you love somebody, when this person makes you smile everytime. Even when this person just broke your heart.

purplepjs

Thanks icer! That's a big call. I'll have to keep writing well! ;)

Thanks to you too Daniel, I'm glad people are enjoying reading this as much as I'm enjoying writing it.

Been super busy the last week, but I hope to be back to my usual writing schedule in a few days. (ie, no life and such hahaha)

purplepjs

Drumroll... I managed to write the next chapter in between bouts of hacking up a lung. Maybe I should see a doctor :hotti: LOL

Spoiler: Chapter 10 - The Princess and the Knight
Iris looked up at the sky, happy to see nothing but brilliant blue overhead, not a cloud in sight. It was a nice break from the snow storms that had been plaguing them lately. In all truth she didn’t really mind those either. Anything was better than her cold prison cell, even a blizzard. She hummed lightly to herself as she made her way towards the guest rooms in order to wake her guests for breakfast. She slid the door to Maya’s room open and stepped inside. Opening her mouth to speak to the girl, she stopped short when she realised her bed was empty. Puzzled, Iris turned around to look for Maya, but didn’t need to look far at all. Maya was snuggled under a blanket in the window seat. With Phoenix.

Iris raised her eyebrows in surprise, but decided not to wake them. She backed out of the guest room and closed the door softly. A small, bittersweet smile crept across her lips. She couldn’t deny that what she had just witnessed stung a little, but her joy at seeing the both of them so blissfully content far outweighed any lingering feelings for Phoenix. She was happy Phoenix had taken her advice. She wanted him to be happy, and to follow his heart. This was a step in the right direction.

“Sister Iris!!”

Iris turned around just in time to see Pearl running up the walkway towards her with a huge grin on her little face. Iris crouched down in order to be at eye level with the small girl.

“Hello Mystic Pearl!” Iris said with a smile. “I was just coming to wake you.”

“I’ve been up for aaaages Sister Iris!” Pearl responded. “I’ve been at the main hall with Sister Bikini. She said you’re making pancakes. Can I help?” she pleaded.

“Of course you can,” Iris said with a nod.

“Oh Good!” Pearl cried enthusiastically. “We have to wake Mystic Maya! She loves pancakes!”

Iris quickly decided that it would be a bad idea to let Pearl barge into Maya’s room right now. It was quite possible that Pearl would get the wrong idea and start saying things that would make the two shy away from each other. She had to think fast. She grabbed the little girls hand before it reached the door.

“Mystic Maya has a big day today, Mystic Pearl. She’s taking the special course. We should let her sleep in a little bit longer.” Iris said, leading the girl back towards the main hall.

Pearl nodded, following Iris’s lead.

“You’re right Sister Iris!” Pearl agreed. “She needs her rest. But she wouldn’t want to miss pancakes...”

“We’ll come get her when the food is ready.” Iris said reassuringly.

Pearl grinned, but stopped again, a serious expression on her face.

“I almost forgot about Mr. Nick!” she said. “We need to wake him too!”

Iris gulped.

“Oops!” she thought to herself. “I should have known better than to think that Mystic Pearl would miss a detail like that!”

“He’s already awake, Mystic Pearl.” Iris fibbed. “I spoke to him about five minutes ago.”

“That’s good!” Pearl said happily. “Mr. Nick is grouchy when you wake him. I’m glad you didn’t have to.”

Iris smiled. Pearl was obviously speaking from experience.

“Maybe he’s already at the main hall?” Pearl thought aloud.

“Let’s go find out.” Iris said, leading her away from the guest rooms. Inwardly, she shook her head at herself. Lying made her feel terrible, even over something so small.

“How on Earth did Dahlia find it so easy to lie all the time?” she wondered as they walked.

Maya woke feeling comfortably warm and utterly content. She didn’t open her eyes, nor did she move. She was afraid that any noise or movement from her would shatter this peaceful feeling. Or worse still, she would wake up and find herself alone, the victim of an elaborate dream. If she could stay still and quiet for now, then she could enjoy her contentment a little longer.

She took a breath in through her nose.

“Nick smells nice.” She thought to herself.

It wasn’t just any particular aftershave or cologne either; Phoenix had a scent that was uniquely his. While there may have been a trace of some cologne in there, it was mixed with freshly laundered clothes, hair gel and something that smelled a little like cinnamon. The hair gel Maya could understand, but she had no idea where the cinnamon came from. But she knew she liked it. She snuggled against him and smiled to herself when his arms tightened around her waist.

She wondered if he was awake.

“Hopefully not.” She thought. She wasn’t ready to face the real world just yet.

Unbeknownst to Maya, she wasn’t the first to wake that morning. Phoenix had actually woken long before her, but had remained silent for pretty much the same reasons she had. He didn’t want the night to end, but he was aware from the brightness he could sense through his closed eyelids that the night had ended quite some time ago. The morning sun was no doubt streaming through the window where they slept. He opened his eyes and after a few moments of adjusting to the glare, he could see clearly. The position of the sun in the sky told him that it was roughly around seven or eight o clock. He groaned inwardly. Someone would come looking for them soon. He didn’t feel like explaining to anyone why he was in Maya’s room, not even Maya, he mused. He had no idea how he would even begin.

He didn’t know what last night meant. Would things be different between them? Would things be the same? Part of the reason he didn’t want to wake up was that he was a little nervous about what to say. He knew without a doubt that he loved Maya, but he had no idea how she felt about him.

He knew she needed his friendship and support right now. Last night she had needed his shoulder to cry on. But what now? He wanted things to change between them, but at the same time, he didn’t. Even though the source of them problem was clear to him, the whole thing was still really confusing.

Last night, she had cried all the tears that she had. Maybe now she understood that he wanted to help her, to be there for her. An idea began taking shape. He knew just how to make it perfectly clear.

With a small smile and a devilish plan, Phoenix closed his eyes again, relishing the warmth of the woman in his arms.

“Just five more minutes...” he told himself. She snuggled against him and he tightened his grip around her waist. After the few minutes longer he had allowed himself were up, Phoenix stretched and yawned loudly, his action enough to stir Maya as well.

She placed a hand on his chest and pushed herself upward slightly. He chuckled at her tousled hair and unfocused expression.

“Morning.” Phoenix said with a sleepy smile.

Maya smiled back, saying nothing. It took a few moments for her to register the proximity of their bodies. Their legs were entwined, their faces only inches apart and her hand rested on his chest. His arms were still firmly around her waist. She took a sharp intake of breath and a slight blush crept across her cheeks as she moved backwards, freeing herself from his grip. She smiled at him sheepishly. Phoenix laughed to himself. Having admitted his feelings for her made it a lot easier to remain calm in situations that normally would have had him sweating profusely and blushing like mad. There was no little voice to justify himself to anymore. Everyone in his head knew the score.

He swung his legs over the edge of the seat and stood, stretching. His shoulder joints cracked, and he was surprised that he had slept so well considering he had spent the night leaning against a window frame. He turned back to Maya, who was still sitting in the window seat, wrapped in the blanket, looking slightly dazed.

“I’m going to go take a shower.” Phoenix said with another yawn. “I’ll see you at breakfast.”

Maya nodded as Phoenix picked up his shoes and made his way across the room.

“Nick...” Maya called out as he opened the sliding door. He turned to face her, expectantly.

“Thank you.” She said softly.

The corner of his mouth curved upwards in a crooked smile and he gave her a small nod before turning again and leaving the room. She didn’t need to explain why she was thanking him.

He knew.

Once he had closed the door, Maya let out the breath she had been holding. She felt like a complete bundle of nerves, and yet Phoenix had seemed so calm, so normal.

“Ugh!” she groaned. “You must have looked like the biggest idiot! He probably feels sorry for you!” she told herself. She wrapped herself tighter in the blanket, closing her eyes and taking another deep breath. She smiled.

“It still smells like Nick.”

Maya held Pearl’s hand as they followed Iris towards Dusky Bridge. Breakfast had been sensational. Iris’s pancakes (and Pearl’s too, as she had insisted everyone acknowledge her help) were to die for, but now that she was heading towards the inner temple, nerves were kicking in. She was starting to wish she had refused the last helping.

All through breakfast, she had watched both Phoenix and Iris to see if they had given off any signs that something was happening between them. To her surprise, there were none. She was sure she would catch the two of them stealing glances at one another or exchanging looks, but they hadn’t. They had been polite and friendly with one another, but that was it.

Maya frowned as she grasped Pearl’s hand tighter when they reached the foot of the bridge. She was sure when she had seen Phoenix and Iris here last night that something was going on. But then, he had stayed with her last night.

“He probably stayed because you were bawling your eyes out.” She reasoned with herself. “What was he supposed to do? Say no and leave? Nick wouldn’t do that. He felt obligated to stay.”

Maya sighed. She didn’t want Phoenix to feel obligated to do anything. She would apologise for her behaviour when she got to the inner temple. Phoenix had disappeared as soon as he had finished breakfast, promising her that he would meet her there to wish her luck before she started the course. She giggled to herself. He probably didn’t want her to see his face when he crossed the bridge again. Last time he had almost fainted!

As they entered the small corridor of the inner temple that led to the Sacred Cavern, Maya heard Sister Bikini chuckling, but her head snapped upwards when she heard Phoenix’s voice as well. She couldn’t believe her eyes when she saw him.

Phoenix stood tall, looking strong and proud in a traditional Kurain hakama and kimono. It was quite similar to something Maya remembered her father wearing when she was very young. The expression on his face was serious as he spoke to Sister Bikini, no doubt asking her what kind of trouble he had got himself into. Maya couldn’t tear her eyes off him. The attire...it was so different to Phoenix’s usual blue suit, but nonetheless, he looked every bit the part of the Kurain male in training and Maya would also admit; very, very handsome.

It wasn’t completely unheard of for males in Kurain to undertake spiritual training along with the women. Although they had no spiritual power, the courses were long and arduous and required vast amounts of strength, dexterity and endurance. Her father had done many courses with her mother. Along with the challenges he had given himself by taking on the training, it helped him understand her mother’s responsibilities more. Mia had told her many times how happy her mother had been that he had taken such an interest in her position. He had loved her greatly, but when he had died, that’s when everything started to fall apart. Maya sighed. They were together again at last.

Phoenix looked up and smiled when he noticed the girls had arrived.

“Wh-what are you doing?” Maya managed to stammer.

“The Special Course!” Phoenix said with a grin.

Pearl clasped her hands together excitedly, Iris smiled and Maya’s jaw just about hit the floor.

Pearl stood on her tiptoes and peeked through the gap in the door of the sacred cavern. Phoenix and Maya had already gone inside along with Sister Bikini and would be starting the course soon.

“Mystic Pearl, you know you shouldn’t be peeking through that door.” Iris said, settling herself down on the floor. She had been assigned to first watch, and Pearl had insisted on helping her.

Pearl turned and pouted.

“But Sister Bikini hasn’t put the big red lock on the door yet! So it’s still okay to look...” Pearl said, hoping Iris would see her logic.

“Okay then,” Iris said, letting her stay where she was. “But you better not let Sister Bikini catch you there...” she warned.

“I won’t!” she said, turning back to the door.

“Oh! I can see them!” she exclaimed excitedly.”Mr. Nick is talking to Mystic Maya...and now he’s holding her hand!”

Pearl turned her head to grin at Iris, who couldn’t help smiling back at the girl’s enthusiasm.

“Come on, Mystic Pearl.” She said, patting the floor beside her. “You should give them some privacy, and besides, Sister Bikini will be out soon.”

“Alright.” Pearl said dejectedly, trudging over to where Iris sat. She picked up one of the colouring books she had brought with her and selected the appropriate crayon.

“You know Sister Iris,” she began as she coloured, “Mr. Nick really is Mystic Maya’s knight in shining armour. Just like in the stories.”

“Is that so, Mystic Pearl?” Iris asked.

“Uh huh.” Pearl nodded. “He’s always there to save her, and he always protects her. Mr Nick would walk over hot coals for Mystic Maya. He would do anything for her.”

“You know what Mystic Pearl?” Iris smiled. “I don’t think you’re wrong there.”

“Really?” Pearl said, looking up at Iris with a surprised smile. “They always tell me that I’m wrong, but I know I’m not.”

“Well I think you know more than they do.” Iris said reassuringly.

Pearl grinned and went back to colouring and Iris wondered how this little girl could see it, along with pretty much everyone else, but the two people who needed to see it the most were still completely blind.

“Maybe not completely.” She thought to herself, remembering what she had walked in on that morning. She smiled and picked up a crayon.

“Want some help?” Iris asked.

“Sure!” Pearl said happily, and the two worked together to colour in the picture of the pretty princess and her dashing knight.

Sister Bikini walked ahead of Phoenix and Maya as they entered the sacred cavern. The waterfall crashed against the far ledge of the cavern and Phoenix watched as she moved two large blocks of ice over to the ledge and underneath the flow of the waterfall. Curiously, they didn’t melt upon contact with the water, nor did they move. Phoenix gulped.

“Slow melting Spirit Ice.” Maya said. Phoenix nodded.

“Nick...” she said, turning to face him. “Are you sure you want to go through with this? This is a pretty big deal.”

Phoenix looked at her and nodded, his expression resolute.

“Positive. I can do this.” He stated.

“You don’t have to be here,” Maya said. “You don’t have any spiritual power...you aren’t even from Kurain! Why, Nick?”

Phoenix turned, looking at the ground. He took one of her hands in his, fidgeting with her delicate fingers as he spoke.

“I just want you to know...” he started. “I want you to know...that...”

He paused.

“I care about you a lot Maya, and I want you to know that you’re not alone. I’ll always be here.”

His kind, but completely serious expression made her feel slightly dizzy. There was something different in the way that he looked at her. He’d never looked at her that way before.

“Nick...” she said softly, giving his hand a squeeze. “I know. You don’t have to do this to prove that to me.”

“But I am.” He said with a smile, letting out a big breath. “Now at least I know you’ll never forget.”

He grinned at her and she grinned back.

“Are you two ready to begin?” Sister Bikini’s voice came from across the cavern.

They made their way over to the blocks of ice, and Phoenix took a deep breath, steeling himself before stepping underneath the water and sitting cross legged on the ice.

“Ack!” he cried. “Maya! This is freezing!”

“You’ll be fine!” she yelled over the sound of the water. “Remember the mantra!”

“I am one with the water. I am one with the earth. I am one with the wind. I am one with the fire. I am one with the spirit.”

Phoenix began to repeat the mantra that Sister Bikini had taught him, over and over in his mind, wondering how he was going to make it through the next twelve hours. Suddenly, he became aware of a strange warmth in his left hand. It took him a moment to realise that Maya had reached out from her block of ice and taken his hand in hers.

Suddenly, he felt stronger. He sat up straighter, shoulders back and chest out in a prideful manner. He continued to repeat the mantra. He knew that the hand in his and the warmth and love it represented was more than enough to help him brave even the coldest ice.

Hopefully I'll have the next one done on the weekend :pearly:

lol boobs.

:larry:

Oh.my.god.

I love this story so much, you're an amazing writer!
That was exactly what I wanted to see. :D

Thank you!! xD

I can't wait for the next chapter

"also you meant: Are you from Germany, sorry on the one hand I am not sure about English grammar on the other hand I am a grammar nazi" - Coffee Prosecutor

kitsune13 @ fanfiction.net wrote:
On the topic of Iris, I am aware she is totally OOC, but it is intentional. I think I made her smarter and more human. No offense to Iris fans, but she seemed like a pretty much 2D “Damsel in Distress” when I was playing the games. Booooooring! I needed her to be different for the sake of my story

On the topic of Iris, I think you should invent some kind of 'explanation' to make her sudden character 360 plausible rather than seeming OOC since otherwise it interferes with the suspension of disbelief. Some spectacular revelationary event in jail or something. Iris could recall it to herself, since you already wrote the past chapters. This is the only 'problem' I can see with the fic.

Phoenix doing the Special Course again [?] for Maya? Soooo cute. (And the accompanying fluff? Even cuter.)
Re: That Look (Phoenix/Maya) CHAPTER 10 - 29/04Topic%20Title

To Remain Simple Inside

This is...

Well, I am speechless. :acro:

In a good way, obviously.

I'll be waiting for the next chapter. :edgy:
Sorry for possible grammar mistakes. My english is not very good, ya know.
Click here to see my Rise From The Ashes Tribute

Mr. Step-ladder

Wow! That, I was not expecting at all... (The part when they both woke up of course...) This story just keeps getting better and better, each chapter either focusing on a certain character or on progressing the story. Right now, I can't imagine how it would end, and I dare not, I like a good suprise. :gant:

「これが、モノを殺すと言うことだ…!」

...I think I must officially award those last two paragraphs with the prize of being the Crowning Moment Of Heartwarming of this story so far. Although I'm left to wonder what's going to go on between those two given the obvious Unresolved Sexual Tension left after their little tryst the night before. I do hope it ends well (I'm going to MURDER you if it doesn't, Kitty!) but can't rule out the possibility of a potential (undesired) Gainax Ending or a Bittersweet Ending or even a completely horrible Bad Ending. (And if this last one happens, you might not be seeing me for a while, as I'll have to be imprisoned for the grizzly assassination of Kitsune here.) >_>
If videogames make murderers, then guns kill people and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Mr. Step-ladder

Shhh! Stop speculating about the ending... But then again... I bad ending will be interesting... Damn! Look what you did now!

~~

Shiki. If you kill Kitty, then she won't be able to finish this fabuloooousss story!

Bad Shiki.

Good Kitty.
♥Twatanorm♥
Signature by blinq

Trick & Logic

Plz one good ending.. the capcom story is a bad ending.. so plz let this end good *cry*
~ Godot

~ You know you love somebody, when this person makes you smile everytime. Even when this person just broke your heart.

Mr. Step-ladder

Wow, I sorta started a fad. Hooray! *IS SHOT*

purplepjs

Well in regards to the ending, it's actually already completely written and has been for a couple of weeks now. I'm doing my best to keep this canon-believable, so it will fit with the disbarment timeline (am I giving too much away here?). However, how Maya will fit into that still remains to be seen.

Bad ending?? NEVER. I hate those things. Giving my own story a bad ending would be the equivalent of punching myself in the face. So no need to kill me just yet, Shiki. I've also started planning a sequel, although nothing is written yet. Completely unrelated, but I've also got another one shot bugging the hell out of me. I'll have to write it soon so it leaves me alone.

icer, I agree with you 100% about Iris, and considering I've put so much effort into making this story believable and keeping everyone in character, Iris deserves the same. I'll work something in. Writing this fic has made me like her, and the way that I wrote her was what I felt would be a natural fleshing out of her sweet personality, but you all don't live in my head-canon! Explanations are necessary!

.•°٭blinq٭°•., HerGoldenEyes, Ardee, Amy & Daniel Fairhammer: I'm so glad you guys are so into it. It's nice to see my own self indulgent writing for this pairing is interesting to someone other than me LOL!

Trick & Logic

as I've understood from your post.
you want to fit this sotry between 3-5 and 4-1 ?????

that would be a bad endging ,too....

just loose the whole apolo justice crap :D
in this world...
it never happened!! >_>
~ Godot

Daniel Fairhammer wrote:
as I've understood from your post.
you want to fit this sotry between 3-5 and 4-1 ?????

that would be a bad endging ,too....

just loose the whole apolo justice crap :D
in this world...
it never happened!! >_>

Slightly OT...

AJ - 'I Can't Unsee It'. Ones which don't account for AJ just make me resent AJ happened to disrupt 3-5.

The challenge is making a more palatable version where a distortion of the AJ events happened. If GS5 contradicts a nice ending we make out of this 'cloud', we pretend that the 'bad ending option' of 4-4 happened and invent our own branching timeline off it. :gant:

kitsune13 wrote:
icer, I agree with you 100% about Iris, and considering I've put so much effort into making this story believable and keeping everyone in character, Iris deserves the same. I'll work something in. Writing this fic has made me like her, and the way that I wrote her was what I felt would be a natural fleshing out of her sweet personality, but you all don't live in my head-canon! Explanations are necessary!

Yeah, sorry to be such a pain, but one of the reasons this story is so good is it doesn't contradict what we might expect from or for the characters based on canon [it's all very believable with the Maya-Kurain, Maya/Phoenix etc], so we don't have the problem that it couldn't really 'happen'. Except for Iris. [Personally, writing this requested fic where Phoenix and Iris' misguided post 3-5 engagement failed made me like Iris. *sweatdrops*]

Last edited by icer on Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Step-ladder

I think the best way to make the story 'canon-believable' is by lightly threading on the actual canon, or by not touching it at all, which works well your story, perfectly well. It's interesting that Phoenix lost his badge about 3 months after T&T, right? Maybe you have take that into account?

Also a sequel? I can't wait already!
And I think I'll realise the art after the story has finished.

purplepjs

Well I can't unsee AJ either, which is kinda what makes me want to make it fit with that timeline. The bad part is, we all know that there's something terrible looming on the horizon, so my ending isn't going to be a nice happy fluffy one. But it's not going to be all doom and gloom either. The point of me writing this was to further cement the unbreakable connection between Nick & Maya, despite what the world might throw at them.

My aim is to make it completely implausible that they haven't seen each other in seven years, because I think that's completely ridiculous.
She's totally into that hot hobo action

I'm kinda nervous about posting my ending now! I don't want to be the victim of a witch hunt! The way I see it now, unless the brain goes off on another tangent, I have five chapters to go. I was thinking about ditching the sequel idea and just continuing on but I do feel that where I chose to end it is a logical closure point.

The sequel will pick up close to where I left off anyway, and it will have a happy ending.

I don't think it's too difficult to distort AJ's events to our own agenda, if you will, simply because Phoenix is so damn mysterious vague! It's really not that much of a stretch to think there's a whole side of his life that we have no idea about. We also see everything from Apollo's perspective, and Phoenix doesn't tell him anything.

「これが、モノを殺すと言うことだ…!」

kitsune13 wrote:
Fuck yea, preach it sis.

kitsune13 wrote:
I'm kinda nervous about posting my ending now! I don't want to be the victim of a witch hunt! The way I see it now, unless the brain goes off on another tangent, I have five chapters to go. I was thinking about ditching the sequel idea and just continuing on but I do feel that where I chose to end it is a logical closure point
Don't worry about it. Your writing has gotten me so in love with it, I won't berate you for whatever you do with the story. Unless it ends with Maya in tears of frustration/sadness/RAAAAAAAAGE at not being able to be with Nick, of course.

kitsune13 wrote:
I don't think it's too difficult to distort AJ's events to our own agenda, if you will, simply because Phoenix is so damn mysterious vague! It's really not that much of a stretch to think there's a whole side of his life that we have no idea about. We also see everything from Apollo's perspective, and Phoenix doesn't tell him anything.
True. Nick has an entirely different agenda beyond what we see in AJ, so it's not too hard to think up what he was doing during the times he's offscreen and STILL make it sound and feel believable and consistent with what we already know.

I <3 you, Kitty.

kitsune13 wrote:
My aim is to make it completely implausible that they haven't seen each other in seven years, because I think that's completely ridiculous.

Great mental image...
How could they not see each other for 7 years? It would only be possible if Phoenix moved without forwarding address, and he didn't.
Quote:
I'm kinda nervous about posting my ending now! I don't want to be the victim of a witch hunt!

No witch hunt unless you kill them because you got bored of the story. [Has happened around here...] If we don't like it just means we can't add the end to our personal headcanons. Chapter 9 will stay in, though :) I would say write the sequel separate as intended. It can deviate off as a possibly alternate scenario, too...

What's the timeframe of the sequel?

Quote:
We also see everything from Apollo's perspective, and Phoenix doesn't tell him anything.

We play as Phoenix, but the MASON is possibly a serious distortion of reality. BTW all the dates in AJ don't add up, don't try writing a fic during the onscreen action in AJ, you realise everything re. Phoenix and 4-4 was impossible and a very unlikely set of miraculous coincidences too.

purplepjs

It's 2am, but I wanted to post this *yawns*

Will post replies to stuff tomorrow. Tired. That's also my excuse for any grammatical/spelling errors this evening. It's late :P

Spoiler: Chapter 11 - Someplace Warm
Iris sat in the Inner temple, flicking idly through the latest issue of “Oh Cult!” magazine. She was now on the last four hour watch period, Sister Bikini having taken the second watch. Pearl had stayed back at the main hall this time, but would no doubt return with Sister Bikini to remove the lock. She reached into her pocket, pulling out a small silver pocket watch. It was getting close to nine o clock. Given the time, Sister Bikini wouldn’t be too much longer.

Turning her attention back to the magazine, she thought about last month’s issue. If Sister Bikini had never seen the need to advertise their spiritual retreat, maybe none of this would have happened. Fate had a funny way of aligning everyone and everything, and not always with the best results. She let out a small, audible sigh. Everything happened for a reason and she had learned some things about herself, very important lessons, in the process.

Her jail time in total had been a little less than two weeks, but it had been the longest fortnight of her life. Once she was incarcerated, it didn’t take long for her mother to find her. Iris was terrified of Morgan, and unfortunately, Morgan knew that all too well. Knowing that Iris lacked any of the fire that dominated her twin’s personality, Morgan subjected her to two full days of scathing emotional and verbal abuse, telling her constantly how worthless she was and how she wished she was never born, without having to worry about any retaliation from the meek young woman. As would be expected, Iris eventually reached breaking point. Unable to take it anymore, she tearfully requested solitary confinement. Despite the unusual nature of her request, the bewildered prison guard agreed.

Sitting alone in the tiny, freezing cell, Iris had wondered if her mother was in fact, right. Was she worthless? Should she have never been born? All she had ever tried to do was help the people that she loved, even if they didn’t love her back. Painfully, she realised that by helping those that didn’t love her in an effort to win their affections, she had betrayed the one person who really had loved her.

Phoenix.

Thinking about Phoenix and the web of deception she had helped build brought tears to her eyes. He was a good man, and he didn’t deserve her lies. No matter what she felt for him, there was no denying that she had given her sister’s demands priority over not only what she knew to be right, but also over her feelings for Phoenix. She had no right to claim his love when she had knowingly risked his life simply because Dahlia had asked her to.

Despite what she had done, and despite what was at stake, he’d never stopped believing in her. It made her sick to her stomach to think that her sister’s flippant disregard for human life had almost robbed the world of such a caring individual. She remembered her time with Phoenix fondly. He had doted on her, wanting to tell the world about his “Dollie”. But that... that was a long time ago. Phoenix had changed. Grown up. He was a successful lawyer now. Smart, serious and driven. Iris knew there was no way she would fit into his life now, Feenie was long gone.

But there was someone else who did fit. How strange that the person in question would ultimately end up being her own cousin. Deep down, Iris would admit to tiny pangs of jealousy over the way that Phoenix fiercely protected his assistant. In his eyes, there was no way that Maya Fey could do anything wrong. They had a bond unlike anything Iris had witnessed before. Phoenix risked his life trying to cross the charred remains of Dusky Bridge that night, just to get to her. He had refused to believe that Maya had died in the cavern, doing anything to cling to that shred of belief that she would be fine. It was obvious to everyone that came to Hazakurain on that fateful day that the attachment between Phoenix and Maya ran exceptionally deep.

She, on the other hand, had spent the last five years of her life leaving Phoenix behind. She could have tried to find him earlier; she could have tried to explain. But she didn’t. She knew that the resurgence of feelings that she felt for him now, seeing him again after all these years, needed to be forgotten again, just as they had five years ago. Pushed aside in the same way. Phoenix had moved on with his life, and she wanted him to be happy. When he had done everything in his power to ensure her release from prison, it only reinforced that belief, especially when she had witnessed first hand the look in his eyes when he gazed at his young assistant.

Closing the magazine, Iris smiled to herself. The road they had travelled was a bumpy one, but the final destination was what mattered. Here she was, back at Hazakurain. She was exactly where she needed to be. This was her place. Hazakurain made her happy. She owed her freedom to Phoenix, and if there was any way that she could help him be happy too, then she would do all she could. Even if that meant letting him go.

Her thoughts were interrupted by Pearl’s small voice and Sister Bikini’s chuckle as they approached. Iris stood and prepared for their arrival.

“Good evening Iris!” Sister Bikini smiled. “No problems here?”

Iris shook her head.

“Both candles are still burning brightly.” She said.

After Phoenix and Maya were locked inside the Sacred Cavern, Sister Bikini had performed a small ritual that connected their conscious spirits to a large red pillar candle each, on the outside. This allowed the person on watch to keep an eye on those undergoing the course, without being able to physically see them. If the flame were to extinguish it would alert the nun on watch that their acolyte had fallen unconscious from the extreme cold and required medical attention. Thankfully, that hadn’t occurred today.

“Have the recovery rooms been prepared?” Sister Bikini enquired. Iris nodded.

“Everything is ready.” She replied.

Following the special course, it was customary for participants to spend the next twelve hours after completion undergoing a special recuperation period in what was known as the recovery room. Hazakurain’s Inner Temple had four rooms equipped for such a purpose, each room housing three large fireplaces, one on each wall. The remaining wall consisted mainly of a large wooden door. The rooms themselves were insulated and designed to hold in the heat and the fireplaces could be restocked with wood from a narrow series of tunnels that ran between the rooms. Once retrieved from the sacred cavern, those undertaking the course would be given a change of clothes and placed in one of the warm rooms to rest. It was also required for them to drink a special tea, brewed from an ancient Kurain recipe. The tea helped warm from the inside, while also having numerous medicinal benefits.

“Remember to make sure you put them in separate rooms.” Sister Bikini warned. “You know what kind of side effects that tea can have on those that drink it… ho ho!” she finished with an embarrassed chuckle, her round cheeks reddening slightly.

Iris smiled and nodded as Sister Bikini turned her attention back to the large door and set about removing the lock. It was true that the recovery tea had been known to cause those who ingested it to become somewhat intoxicated, much the same as if they had consumed too much alcohol. Iris smiled to herself. She had no intention of putting Phoenix and Maya in separate rooms for their recovery period, but Sister Bikini didn’t need to know that.

“A little push in the right direction is the least I can do."
Iris thought to herself.

After a few minutes, Sister Bikini had successfully removed the lock. She gathered two enormous looking towels, and headed into the cavern to retrieve the pair, who at this point were no doubt beyond freezing. Pearl clung to Iris’s robes, obviously worried for Phoenix and Maya. Moments later Sister Bikini returned, the two in question trailing quietly behind her, wrapped in their towels. They were exhausted, soaked to the bone and pale from the cold, but other than that, they looked to be in good health. Pearl tugged on Iris’s robe, smiling up at her in relief once she knew they were both okay. Iris gave her an affectionate pat on the head. After instructing Phoenix and Maya to each extinguish their own candle, Sister Bikini gave them both fresh robes and sent them to separate chambers to dry off and change.

“Iris, I’ll leave them now in your care. This cold is terrible on my back…” Sister Bikini said, bringing a hand to the offending area. She cringed lightly.

“Sister Bikini, you should go back to the main house and rest. I’ll stay here tonight and keep the fires stocked for Mystic Maya and Mr Wright.” Iris said, a compassionate expression on her face.

“Are you sure dear?” Sister Bikini asked.

“Absolutely. Mystic Pearl and I can set up another of the recovery rooms and we’ll have ourselves a slumber party.” She said, smiling down at the young girl.

Pearl, who had been silent up until this point, couldn’t contain her excitement.

“Oh I’d love that Sister Iris!” she beamed. Bikini smiled lovingly at the two girls and shook her head lightly.

“You’re such a good girl, Iris.” She said, reaching forward to give her hand a quick squeeze, before turning and making her way out of the inner temple. Iris felt bad, seeing as she was about to disobey Sister Bikini’s instruction to separate Phoenix and Maya for the rest of the night. But it was for a good cause, she told herself.

Phoenix emerged from the side chambers first, handing Iris the soaked towel he had brought with him.

“Sorry…” he said sheepishly. “I didn’t know what to do with this.”

She smiled and took the towel from him.

“I’ll take it, it’s fine.” She said. “You should be very proud of yourself, Phoenix. You’re the first person to complete the special course with no spiritual background.”

He nodded.

“I’m not really sure how I did it to be honest.” He said, shaking his head.

“You did it for Mystic Maya!” Pearl piped in happily. Phoenix laughed.”I guess I did Pearls.” He agreed. Pearl grinned up at him.

“You’re her special someone, Mr Nick!” Pearl said, just as Maya materialised beside her.

“Who is whose special someone?” Maya asked.

“Nothing.”

“No one.”

Iris and Phoenix spoke at the same time. Pearl looked on, a puzzled expression on her face. Grown ups sure were strange. Maya looked at Iris, then back at Phoenix, wondering what they were hiding. That unsettling feeling in her stomach seemed to be returning.

“Anyway,” Iris began, changing the subject. “We had better get you two to the recovery room before you catch a cold!” she finished, leading them down a small hallway. Unlocking the door in front of her, she ushered the pair inside the room. It was quite warm inside already. Fires burned brightly in the fireplaces on all three walls. Two futons had been arranged in the middle of the room, while a pot of tea sat close by on a small table, along with two cups.

“Make sure you drink the tea,” Iris instructed. “It will help boost your immune system so you won’t get sick from exposure to the cold.”

Maya made her way over to the table and began pouring the tea, while Phoenix remained in the doorway.

“Thank you, Iris.” He said earnestly. She nodded in reply, backing out of the room.

“Sleep well.” She said.

“Goodnight Mr Nick! Goodnight Mystic Maya!” Pearl called from outside the room. Phoenix smiled.

“Goodnight Pearls.” He said.

“Night Pearly!” Maya called out to her young cousin.

Iris closed the door, leaving the Phoenix and Maya inside. Putting the large red lock and chains in place, she leaned against the doorway for a moment, her expression one of concentration. Something was bothering her. Something she just couldn’t forget.

She had made the mistake of trusting the wrong people in the past. Doing the wrong thing for the right reasons. She had vowed never to make that mistake again. There was something she had overheard her mother speaking about during a phone call when she was in prison. She hadn’t taken much notice at the time, but it kept bothering her. Maybe it was important. She chewed on her lip thoughtfully. If she had any information that might be of help to Maya, Phoenix or even little Pearl, she had to let them know, especially if it concerned her mother. She took Pearl by the hand and led her to next recovery room.

Iris knew she needed more information to be sure, but she couldn’t get that where she was. She was under house arrest. Presently, she was not permitted to leave Hazakurain.

There was someone though, who could help her. It was a long shot, but she had to try. And she would need Pearl’s help.

Phoenix trudged towards the centre of the room. The warmth in the room was nothing short of delicious. His bones ached and his body was completely exhausted. He barely made it to his futon before collapsing face down on his pillow.

“Nick.”

He frowned at the sound of Maya’s voice. Turning his head to the side, he saw that she was crouched beside him, a small teacup in her hands.

“Mmmrmph.” Phoenix grumbled.

“You need to drink this.” She said, holding out the cup.

“I need to sleep.” He countered.

“Drink this, and then you can sleep.” She said. He grumbled again. “You don’t want to end up back in hospital do you?”

This got Phoenix’s attention. He most certainly didn’t. He pulled himself up on to his elbows, groaning painfully. Taking the cup from Maya, he took a small sip.

“Ugh.” He said, his face twisting into a grimace. “This is terrible.”

“I know,” she said, downing the rest of her cup in one gulp. “Drink it quick, then it’s gone.” Phoenix did as she suggested, handing the cup back to her. She stood, taking their cups back over to the small table and placing them down softly. Instead of returning to her futon, she walked towards one of the fireplaces. She stretched out her hands, wiggling her fingers, warming them in front of the fire. Phoenix rolled on to his side, leaning on his elbow. He watched her, wondering how she still managed to move so gracefully after the brutal torture she had subjected her body to earlier today. Ten minutes ago every inch of his body had been screaming in pain, but even when they left the cavern, Maya appeared to be just fine.

Phoenix’s head felt a little bit fuzzy, but at the same time, his body aches seemed to be lessening so he didn’t mind too much. There must have been something in the tea. Maya remained where she was, watching the flames flicker as she warmed herself.

Phoenix continued to watch Maya as the light from the fireplace seemed to give her skin an ethereal glow. The robe she had been given was a little bit shorter than the one she wore every day, affording Phoenix a rather generous view of her shapely legs, which he could admit, he was quite enjoying. Her silky black hair shone in the light of the flames.

Phoenix’s brain felt like it was on auto-pilot. He knew he was having thoughts, but they were disjointed and he couldn’t seem to make any sense of them. Against what he knew was his better judgement, he stood up and moved towards Maya. His head was spinning a little, and he felt a bit unsteady on his feet. After what felt like an eternity, he finally reached her, placing his hands on her shoulders.

She spun around, probably a little too quickly. Her unfocused expression and general unsteadiness told Phoenix that she was feeling a little out of it too. She clutched at his robe to prevent herself from falling over.

“My head…” she said quietly. “It’s spinning. Or the room is. I’m not sure.”

He could relate.

“We’d better get you to bed.” He said, turning around and manoeuvring her towards the centre of the room. He helped her lower herself down to her futon, but lost balance himself in the process. He fell rather awkwardly on top of her, bracing himself with his forearms on either side of her head. He blinked a few times, trying to clear the cobwebs from his head and assess the situation. His thoughts weren’t making sense, all he could clearly discern was how beautiful she looked.

“Nick…” she said quietly. “I feel funny.”

“Me too…” he breathed.

She brought a hand up, placing it gently on the back of his head, entwining her fingers into his hair. Instinctively, he lowered his head towards hers. Their noses grazed each other lightly, and her eyes fluttered closed.

He could feel her breath on his lips. His heart was hammering in his chest. He could feel her heartbeat too. His head was spinning. All he needed to do was lean forward ever so slightly… and he would be…

But he couldn’t do it. He couldn’t take advantage of her. Not like this.

“The tea…” he breathed. “You don’t know what you’re doing.”

She blinked, as if unable to comprehend what he was saying. He lifted himself up, placing a gentle kiss on her forehead before rolling towards his own futon.

“Goodnight, Maya.” He said tenderly. She said nothing, reaching out to take his hand. Phoenix’s head continued to spin as his head hit the pillow. Everything felt unfocused. One thing was clear though. Tonight, he may not have done what he truly wanted to, but he had made the right choice.

kitsune13 wrote:
Chapter 11

Thanks for the explanation about Iris. It's quite a.. touching concept (for people who don't ship Phoenix/Iris at least.) I think I'll pretend to myself Morgan also punched her in the head so I can believe in this character change in totality - I like this reformed Iris. Still makes dumb decisions though. Was she supposed to psyche-lock them in? What if they don't 'recover' properly?

And drunk on tea! The outcome of the scene was a nice touch, I like.
Re: That Look (Phoenix/Maya) CHAPTER 11 - 03/05Topic%20Title

「これが、モノを殺すと言うことだ…!」

*drool*

Moar. Or I might have to turn myself on fire or something.

Mr. Step-ladder

Wow, LSD moment there. Great job, although now I can see how Iris is a bit different (Which I never noticed before...)

Spoiler:
Also, I can imagine Iris crushing Viagra pills and putting that in the tea...

「これが、モノを殺すと言うことだ…!」

Ardee wrote:
Wow, LSD moment there. Great job, although now I can see how Iris is a bit different (Which I never noticed before...)

Spoiler:
Also, I can imagine Iris crushing Viagra pills and putting that in the tea...
Why am I NOT surprised to read and COMPLETELY RELATE to this...? And feeling that that wouldn't be the last thing I'd heard from this case? =p

Mr. Step-ladder

Which brings me to a point... Who bought those viagra pills? :beef:

「これが、モノを殺すと言うことだ…!」

Not like they can't be bought as regular over-the-counter pills, as far as I know... =p So Iris might just as well have made the purchase by herself. XD

purplepjs

Hahahaha!! Calm down you two :P No one bought any Viagra. It's just *really* funky tea! :redd:

Spoiler: We don't need no stinkin Viagra!
Nick is a virile young man, I'm sure he needs nothing of the sort :hotti:

icer wrote:
No witch hunt unless you kill them because you got bored of the story. [Has happened around here...]

Someone actually did that? :maya-shock:

LOL, Iris did lock them in, and at 1am last night I thought that was a top idea. Let's just say she knew they would be fine hahaha. As for time frame for my sequel, I have no idea yet. I am having random scenes pop into my head that I know I have to write. I just gotta work out how to string them together and make it all fit.

No setting yourself on fire Shiki, I aim to have another chapter in a couple of days. :hobolaugh:

Mr. Step-ladder

kitsune13 wrote:
Hahahaha!! Calm down you two :P No one bought any Viagra. It's just *really* funky tea! :redd:

I KNEW there was something illegal going on in Hazakura! I KNEW it!

Also, Iris is on parole, so only Bikini (Or Pearl?) could buy... Nevermind.

purplepjs

Mid week update! Yay!

Spoiler: Chapter 12 - The New Threat
Iris sat nervously watching Pearl as she entered into a meditative state. She chewed on her fingernail, unable to stop fidgeting. She had never actually witnessed anyone call a spirit before. It was pretty exciting, but unbelievably scary at the same time. Iris was worried too. There was every possibility that the person she was calling on would not be willing to help her. But she had to try. If her mother was up to anything at all, they had to do everything possible to find out what it might be.

Pearl had agreed to help her without hesitation. Iris wondered whether that was a particularly good thing. She hated to think that her young sister would trust absolutely anyone, especially after what happened with their mother. But maybe since she knew the person she was channelling could do no harm, Pearl held no concerns about helping Iris when she asked.

It wasn’t long before Pearl’s appearance began to warp and in a matter of seconds, a completely different person sat across from Iris. She blinked a few times. She wasn’t sure how to begin, or what to say at all. The person sitting across from her narrowed their eyes upon realising who had summoned them.

Frowning, her new guest spoke.

“You’d better be the good one.”

Iris hung her head.

“Mystic Mia...” she began nervously. “I am, I mean, I’m Iris.”

Mia continued to look at her coolly, her expression unreadable.

“Forgive me if I’m not completely thrilled to be here.” She said sarcastically. “But your sister ruined my life, and your mother tried to have my sister killed. If you’re working with either of them, I’d just like you to know before you bother trying that you won’t be able to manipulate me.”

Iris flinched. While she knew without a doubt that she had made a huge mistake trusting Dahlia in the past, it was quite understandable that Mia wanted to know where she stood. She had been anticipating this kind of reception from Mia, but it didn’t change the fact that it stung. Her eyes remained fixed on the floor.

“Where am I, anyway?” Mia asked, somewhat irritated.

“Hazakurain.” Iris said quietly.

Mia sighed, flipping her hair out of her eyes before glancing down at her clothing.

“Mind telling me what Pearl is doing here?” she asked raising an eyebrow. Her facial expression changed as more questions surfaced in her mind. “Wait, is my sister here too? And weren’t you in prison? What’s going on?”

“Mystic Mia...” Iris said, still unable to look at her. “I need your help.”

Mia’s expression hardened.

“Why?” she said emotionlessly. Iris took a deep breath. As expected, Mia wasn’t making this easy.

“It’s Mystic Maya.” Iris said, finally meeting Mia’s gaze.

“What?” Mia said, alarmed. “Where is my sister? What happened to her?”

Mia looked positively panicked. Iris shook her head.

“No... She’s fine. I’m just concerned for her well being. I’m worried that my mother might try to hurt her again.”

“But right now... she is okay?” Mia asked. Iris nodded and Mia’s panicked expression relaxed into one of relief.

“She is sleeping in the room next door.” Iris said reassuringly. “Phoenix is with her.”

Mia nodded slowly, absorbing the information. A small smile appeared on her face. That answer appeared to be good enough for her. She looked up at Iris again, studying her face. Iris seemed timid and fragile. Genuinely so. Nothing like that fake garbage her sister used to spew forth when under pressure. She could see through Dahlia Hawthorne from day one, but Iris didn’t seem to be hiding anything. Relaxing a little, Mia folded her arms in front of her. Iris had seemingly gone to an awful lot of trouble to get her here, and there wouldn’t be any harm in seeing what the girl had to say, especially since it concerned Morgan. She had nothing to lose by just listening.

“You helped Diego, didn’t you?” Mia asked, remembering the last time she had seen the girl.

Iris looked up at her, nodding slowly.

“Then I will help you.” Mia said, smoothing out Pearl’s robe casually. “So tell me, what is going on?”

Phoenix opened his eyes, groaning loudly. His head felt like someone had smashed it repeatedly with a brick.

There was little light left in the room as the fires had died down considerably. They hadn’t gone completely out, but they were no where near the roaring intensity of last night. He wondered what time it was. There weren’t any windows in the room either, so he had no way of even guessing. The warmth on his right side suggested that Maya had somehow gravitated towards him during the night... or perhaps he had moved towards her?

He sighed. It didn’t really matter. They were lying in a tangle of blankets in the space between their two futons – it appeared they had both abandoned their respective sleeping areas during the night, and met up somewhere in the middle.

Pulling himself up to lean on his elbow, he looked down at her, grateful that there was just enough light in the room to make out her pretty features. Carefully, he brushed her hair out of her eyes and tucked it behind her ear.

She stirred lightly, and Phoenix was able to pinpoint the exact moment when the excruciating head pain he was also feeling hit her. She frowned. Then squeezed her eyes shut even tighter. Even though he knew he shouldn’t have, he laughed a little and was rewarded with further pain of his own as his laughter reverberated through his head. That would teach him for his lack of sympathy.

Maya opened one eye groggily. The first thing she saw was Phoenix peering down at her with a slightly bemused expression.

“Your head hurt too?” he asked her.

“Mmmm.” She agreed. “Like someone ran over it with a truck.”

Phoenix flopped back down on his pillow.

“Well, this is certainly the worst hangover I’ve ever had...” he said with a groan.

“This is what a hangover feels like?” Maya asked with a frown. “I’m never drinking alcohol ever.”

“We only drank tea...” Phoenix said, rubbing his temples.

“I remember that it was horrible.” Maya said, screwing her nose up. “But you know, I don’t remember much after that.” She finished, sounding slightly puzzled.

“Me neither”. Phoenix added.

He shrugged.

“Must have been strong tea.”

They were silent again for a few minutes, but neither moved. They seemed content to continue sharing body warmth while lamenting over their pseudo hangovers. Phoenix’s thoughts drifted predictably to Maya. This was the second morning in a row that he had woken up next to her. He decided that he could certainly get used to that.

“So...” Phoenix began cheekily. “You get cold last night?”

It took Maya a few moments to realise exactly what he was talking about.

“Oh...” she said, as she mentally made sense of his question. He was referring to the fact that she was huddled so close to him, sharing a blanket. She sat up quickly.

“Sorry...” she said, feeling her cheeks redden. Phoenix chuckled to himself. She was too easy to tease.

Without opening his eyes he reached up and pulled her back down so that she was lying next to him, exactly where she had been before. He slung an arm over her waist and pulled her closer.

“It’s alright.” He said with a sleepy smile. “I got cold too.”

Within a few minutes, his breathing had evened out and he was asleep again. Maya however, was still awake, trying to calm the butterflies that had just made a grand appearance in her stomach.

She smiled secretly to herself. Something had changed.

Phoenix was... different.

Everything was different.

But she liked it.

One last thought drifted through her mind as she fell asleep once more, snuggling closer to the man next to her.

“Maybe I don’t have to worry about Iris after all...”

Thankfully, the next time Phoenix and Maya awoke, their headaches had dissipated somewhat. More sleep was apparently the miracle cure for the disastrous after effects of Kurain’s Healing Tea. By the time she had eaten some breakfast and packed her things, Maya felt pretty much fine.

Looking around her guest room quickly to make sure she hadn’t left anything behind, Maya spotted her borrowed training robes sitting at the foot of her futon. Picking them up, she headed out the door. There was a small laundry at the end of the hall; she figured she could leave her robes there.

Entering the laundry, she was surprised to find Iris already inside, folding some towels.

“Iris.” Maya said, slightly surprised. “I didn’t expect anyone to be in here.”

“There’s always work to do.” Iris smiled, taking Maya’s bundled up robes from her arms. She set them aside and continued to fold the laundry. Her actions made Maya remember something important.

“Well, that’s actually something I was planning on talking to you about before I left.” Maya said, leaning against the old sink by the door. Iris looked up at her, questioningly.

“I wanted to send some acolytes to train here.” Maya began.

“Oh, that would be lovely!” Iris said happily.

“I was thinking about sending them... permanently.”

“Oh...” Iris said, surprised at first. But as the information sunk in, she couldn’t help but break into an excited grin. “You mean... we would have more sisters here?”

Maya nodded.

“Sister Bikini mentioned to me that she had to cancel all the bookings while you weren’t here and even now that you have returned she still has to turn people away. You’re undermanned here at Hazakurain, Iris, and I’d like to make it my first official decree as Master that we send more resources and funds to help you out. You are, after all, a branch of the Kurain Village.”

Iris couldn’t have been happier.

“That sounds so wonderful Mystic Maya. I can’t thank you enough!”

“Well, I’m glad.” Maya said. “I’ll be really happy if I can always use my position to help people.”

Iris nodded.

“I think you’re going to make a really great Master, Mystic Maya.” She said with a smile.

“Thank you Iris! That really means a lot.” Maya said, genuinely touched.

“I can only hope that Phoenix doesn’t fall apart while you’re away from time to time looking after Kurain business!” Iris said with s mall chuckle, taking her folded towels over to the large linen closet. “Whatever will he do without you to keep him in line?”

Maya laughed.

“I’m pretty sure Nick can take care of himself...”

They looked at each other, before breaking into laughter. They both knew that Phoenix would be hopeless if left to fend for himself.

“Maybe you’d better take him with you, just be to sure.” Iris giggled.

“Not a bad idea...” Maya thought to herself. Time away from Phoenix, especially after this trip wasn’t really something she could say she was looking forward to at all.

“He cares about you a lot, Maya.” Iris said, smiling softly. Maya nodded.

“I know.”

“Take care of him, okay?” Iris asked.

“I will.” Maya replied. She wasn’t exactly sure what was happening between her and Phoenix, but Iris seemed to know something about it, whatever it was. She wondered if Phoenix had said anything to her.

The two girls remained in silence for a moment before Maya decided she should probably get going. She still had to make sure Pearl was all packed and find Phoenix, who had disappeared back to his own room to pack shortly after breakfast.

“Will you be down at the main gate when we are leaving?” Maya asked.

“Of course,” Iris said.

Maya smiled and turned to leave the room. Iris thought for a brief moment before calling out to her. She should probably warn her about what she knew.

“Wait...Mystic Maya,” she called. “There’s something I wanted to talk to you about as well.”

“Yes?” Maya said expectantly as she turned back to face Iris.

“Be careful...” Iris began. “...Of Andre.”

Maya froze.

“How do you know Andre?” she asked, her brow furrowing.

“I think... I think he might be my brother.” She said sadly.

Maya’s eyes widened and her mouth dropped open. Phoenix had been right after all.

Mia had confirmed to Iris that Morgan had indeed been pregnant at the same time as Alana Fey, the woman the rest of the village to this day believed to be Andre’s mother. Although she had been too young to understand what was going on at the time, Mia remembered that Andre’s father Lucas had a reputation as a bit of a womaniser. There had been whispers about the village that Lucas had fathered both children. They had also been told that Morgan’s baby had died at birth, but in retrospect it was quite possible that Alana’s baby had been the one to die. Morgan, divorced and having just given birth to a married man’s child would have likely given Andre up to Lucas to avoid bringing shame upon herself.

“I’m not completely sure yet, but we’ll contact you as soon as we get more info.” Iris added.

Maya nodded, lost in her thoughts. She needed to find Phoenix and tell him.

“Thanks, Iris.” Maya said, dashing out of the room. In her hurry to leave, she had seemingly failed to notice Iris’s use of the word “we”.

Andre shifted uncomfortably in his seat. These visiting room chairs were terrible. He looked back at Morgan, who was still sitting across from him, an intense expression on her face.

“So you understand the plan, then?” she asked him.

Andre sighed.

“I really don’t see what the point of this exercise is. You’ll still be stuck in prison and Mystic Maya gets to ditch her responsibility and live happily ever after with the lawyer. That really doesn’t sound like a very fruitful revenge plot to me.” He said, unimpressed.

“This isn’t about revenge!” Morgan cried. “This is about Kurain. We cannot hold on to petty grudges at the expense of the village. What have I tried to instil on you these last few years?”

“No matter what, Kurain comes first.” Andre said in a monotone voice, as if repeating something he had heard a hundred times over.

“Good boy.” Morgan said, smiling.

“Now remember, in order for this to work, you need to do exactly as I have asked.” She continued. “Do you remember where it’s hidden?”

“Yes.” He said simply. “Are you sure I won’t be suspected of anything?”

“No.” Morgan said. “Not unless you act suspicious. I assure you it will leave no trace.”

“What if the lawyer comes poking around? He has a talent for sticking his nose where it isn’t wanted.” Andre asked.

“He won’t.” Morgan assured him. “If he has Mystic Maya with him, then Kurain will be of no concern.”

Andre stood.

“I understand. I’ll return when it’s done. You can advise me where to go from there.”

Morgan nodded, pleased. Andre was proving to be very easily controlled. This was very much to her liking. She had been concerned for a while that he harboured an independent streak like Dahlia had. Lucky for her, he was more like Iris.

“Farewell, Mother” Andre said, as he walked through the door.

Morgan scowled. How many times had she told him not to call her that?

As he walked back to the train station, Andre went over his mother’s plan in his head. Part of him could definitely understand why she wanted things done in a particular way. If successful, the outcome of her plan would be quite fruitful for not only Kurain as a whole, but himself too.

But he couldn’t just sit back and let Mystic Maya and that lawyer get away with putting his mother in prison. All she had ever done was try to protect the village. She had always tried to do what was best for Kurain. It was a great ‘injustice’ that she had to spend the rest of her days locked up on murder related charges when she never even actually killed anyone.

Andre had been fourteen when he found out that Morgan was his real mother. He had overheard a heated conversation between Morgan and his father about sending him away to a private school to be educated on matters outside of Kurain. At first, he was puzzled as to why this woman would have any say in his education at all. She was claiming that she wanted him to be in a position of power amongst Kurain’s main family as he matured, while his father begged her to just leave things alone. None of what she was saying made sense until Morgan uttered the words that made it all start to fit together.

“He is my son, and I will get what I want.”

He confronted his father after Morgan had left and he finally broke down and told Andre the truth. Against his father’s wishes, he sought Morgan out and began getting to know her. He found that they had a lot in common and he understood and respected her ideals. He grew proud of his close attachment to Kurain’s head family, although everyone around him knew nothing of the reasons for his drastic change from a kind, down to earth boy to the conceited young man he had become. Also, having studied outside the village as Morgan had wished, he was much more educated than all of them anyway.

Morgan’s scheme for the most part was quite sound. Andre was impressed with her meticulous planning, and he admired the way that she had spent many years planting the right people in the right places. He was one of them. If the woman had anything, it was patience.

Andre scowled. There had to be a way to pull everything off without a hitch as per his mother’s directions and get revenge on Maya Fey and Phoenix Wright in the process.

And Andre Fey was determined to find it.

:beef: OHNOES

Oh and btw, Ardee has sent me some art for my first chapter "Edgeworth Knows". It's MUCHO fabuloso (I may have just made up some Spanish right thar). I'm off to go edit it into the chapter post. Yee! Thanks Ardee!! :jazzedgy:

Oh, and Ardee, Pearl is too young to buy Viagra, and I dont wanna know why Bikini would have some lying around... :wacky-edgy:
Re: That Look (Phoenix/Maya) CHAPTER 12 - 06/05Topic%20Title

Trick & Logic

Need.. mooooore... *sigh*....
more.... *moan* mooore...
*streching hand* plx!!
~ Godot

I like cute things

Aww... the Maya/Nick bits are heartbreakingly sweet :larry: I especially liked reading about them getting high off tea =P
I'm keeping an eye on this fic nd I hope the next chapter is up soon :maya: :maya: :maya:
Pocky is love!

:cookie: :kyouya: x :sassy:
:cookie: :maya: x :phoenix:
:cookie: :mia: x :godot:

:cookie: =D

lol boobs.

NOOO
Andre this little bastard :/ (sorry, had to)
Hopefully Mia can avoid this 'revenge'..
I need the next chapter

"also you meant: Are you from Germany, sorry on the one hand I am not sure about English grammar on the other hand I am a grammar nazi" - Coffee Prosecutor
Page 2 of 7 [ 247 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Board index » Present Evidence » Present Testimony