Board index » Present Evidence » Present Testimony

Page 1 of 1[ 36 posts ]

[Temporarily suspended] Two Topic LimitTopic%20Title

Moving on up!

Notice from Bolt: This is being suspended for the duration of the OC contest, so as to allow people to more easily post their entries.

This board is becoming cluttered with one shots and multiple chapter fics, so a bit of organization is in need.

Two threads for each author should fit the needs of most members here. One thread can be dedicated to stand alone stories, one shots, short stories, and the like. The second thread can be dedicated to any multiple chapter fics you have.

So that means if you have one shot threads, don't make new ones. The same goes for multi-chapter fic threads.

Now don't panic if you have a bunch of threads already. There are some optionshttp://forums.court-records.net/ ... 1&p=947356 if you want to condense everything.

Either you can move all your stories into one thread yourself, and mark the old ones to be deleted. Keep in mind you will loose any reviews in those threads that are deleted. (If you do this, it is a good idea to either report the threads or pm the links to me so they can be deleted)

The other option is to PM me with all the links of the threads you want combined and I'll use Mod powers to link them into on thread. This will allow you to keep your reviews. You'll probably want to update the first post of the thread afterward to keep all the fics together, but you don't have to (it just makes it easier to find things). Keep in mind with this option that all the reviews will be in order or post by date, and not organized by topic.

Some of you are concerned with organizational issues that this will create, but fear not because it can be very easy to organize one-shots and multi-chaptered fics effectively within the same topic(s).

Off site links:
present-testimony/croik-fanfiction-well-frogs-chapter-t263.html
present-testimony/platinum-skye-fanfiction-kink-meme-update-t15699.html

Spoiler Tags:
Examples coming soon, but the basic idea is to seperate the chapters of your stories in spoiler tags.

With each type of organization style you can title the thread with the latest updates of your stories.

Those aren't the only ways to organize your fics, but I think those will be effecitive in keeping them together and easy to read when someone decides to browse the fan fiction threads. Plus, all your works will be in one place, so if someone likes your stuff, it will be easy for them to see everything you've written.
Thanks to Blinq for the awesome sig. Click the sig, see my stuff.
Edgeworth/Maya Community. A friends, as lovers, as part of OT3s. All Welcome.
"Yeah, I wouldn't go asking random guys if you can lick their penor." crouton December 2009
Re: UPDATED RULES: Two Topic Limit (Rules Not Finalized)Topic%20Title

lame alert

I already have some threads for fanfiction, but they are all multiple chapter without just an edited 1st post. Could I make another thread for all future fanfics? If I use one of my current threads it may get confusing. :godot: Pretty please? :pearl:
Image My fanfic fanart
Click the sig for my graphics :) requests taken.
Deviantart
sig nd avvi thanx 2 my boredom:)

....E.S.P is no aid in detecting sarcasm

hmmm wonder if that is okay. thats basically what I have already done. it now has three fics-yay me!
Fan of paramore, ace attorney, drugs, and the will to live.

hubby is the awesome jaydrick0620!
my darling children are Miyako Chinatsu and slezac and apollajustice
sons in law , yaragorm and eliasbloodmoon
love you guys!

Moving on up!

I don't want to tell you yes or know because nothing is final yet.

It wouldn't be diffcult to have only two topics as long as you organized them properly. Spoiler tags help with this. I'll try to find some examples of this to show you what we want.
"Yeah, I wouldn't go asking random guys if you can lick their penor." crouton December 2009

How does thread-combining work?
Do we have to change the topic title ourselves, after they are combined?

Like, from [title of fic] to "Amm's Fanfiction" for example?
Phoenix/Maya Day: Sept. 5th. ♥
Phoenix/Iris Day: September 12th. ♥

Moving on up!

ammchan wrote:
How does thread-combining work?
Do we have to change the topic title ourselves, after they are combined?

Like, from [title of fic] to "Amm's Fanfiction" for example?

I've only done it a few times before, but I think it takes whichever is the oldest topic and makes that the first post, then all the posts are arranged in order of post date and time instead of by topic (so your posts would get mixed).

After that you would edit your first post to change the topic like you said.

Ah. Thanks for explaining! I will probably do this.
I like keeping my reviews, and I even reread them sometimes. They make me feel happy =]
Phoenix/Maya Day: Sept. 5th. ♥
Phoenix/Iris Day: September 12th. ♥

What do you see behind the mask?

I see. I think I'll leave my one-shot topic be and create a new topic for all future stories, one-shot or multi-chapter. I hope this is fine too!

Moving on up!

Perrydotto wrote:
I see. I think I'll leave my one-shot topic be and create a new topic for all future stories, one-shot or multi-chapter. I hope this is fine too!

You can put new one-shots in your one-shot topic. No need to create any unnecessary threads when perfectly good ones exists. I'm going to convert my own topic into a a one shot thread (it only has one story so far). I might not even create another topic for my multi-part stuff.

Sig made by Vicki, Avi made by PA :D

I have a question:

So I have four loose oneshots on this board (which I do apologize for, I probably should have made one thread when I had the chance.) I probably will ask for them to be merged at some point, if it's not too much trouble (I don't want them to be deleted, I enjoy reading the reviews :D) However, I don't plan on writing another story for a few months or so.

OK, now I finally get to the question part: is it all right for my oneshots to be loose for the time being? Or should I just ask for them to be merged now? Or should I ask for them to be merged when I finally write a new oneshot?

Thank you! :)

Moving on up!

WittyVitale wrote:
OK, now I finally get to the question part: is it all right for my oneshots to be loose for the time being? Or should I just ask for them to be merged now? Or should I ask for them to be merged when I finally write a new oneshot?

Thank you! :)

To clear up the clutter, I would prefer to merge them now.

:)

ammchan wrote:
Ah. Thanks for explaining! I will probably do this.
I like keeping my reviews, and I even reread them sometimes. They make me feel happy =]

Same here. That should be easier for me. Usually always nice to go back and look at reviews. So yeah, I'll go with option B. Once I gathered my fics together I'll PM you, Luna.

Moving on up!

Thanks for the pms so far guys. I might have to bump everyone's threads to the first pages to merge them. When I tried to do some the other night, they weren't working, so I'm not sure if it just the system or me that is in error. Rest assured, I'll get them done to and hopefully the fan fiction section will be less cluttered because of it. Still need to find some thread examples to show you what I mean about managing them so they aren't confusing.

how 'bout mine? i think it is quite well organized-i used fanfictions to sort the stories before posting them....with the problem of my setting not allowing annonamys(damn i cant spell that)
reviews, however other people have gotten that to work -platinum skye. oh i reccommend that as an example thread. i havent commented on it but it seemed amazingly well organized. here is mine:http://forums.court-records.net/present-testimony/how-save-life-klema-all-miles-reminisences-stuff-t16794.html
having links makes the thread look less crowded and takes up less space on a thread-i think.

love you guys!
Re: UPDATED RULES: Two Topic Limit (All Fic Authors Must Read)Topic%20Title

Moving on up!

miles*reminisence wrote:
how 'bout mine? i think it is quite well organized-i used fanfictions to sort the stories before posting them....with the problem of my setting not allowing annonamys(damn i cant spell that)
reviews, however other people have gotten that to work -platinum skye. oh i reccommend that as an example thread. i havent commented on it but it seemed amazingly well organized. here is mine:http://forums.court-records.net/present-testimony/how-save-life-klema-all-miles-reminisences-stuff-t16794.html
having links makes the thread look less crowded and takes up less space on a thread-i think.

That looks fine. What do you want me to do with your old threads?

I also updated the first post with some organizational ideas and tips for merged/multi-story threads.

please could you delete any other fanfic threads i have? only one of them i actually finished and i moved that onto the 'all my stories' thread,so the rest are not important. it would be really helpful :)

love you guys!

Oh boy oh boy oh boy!

Phew. I'm glad I only wrote one fanfiction so far... :payne:
Life's a Happy Song when there's someone by your side to sing along!

Just as a future warning to the authors putting all of their stories into one post (especially multichaptered ones):

I'm not sure what the character limit for a post is, but if you exceed it, all your text disappears. This happened to me, but luckily, I copied it right before I pressed 'submit' (since I'm always paranoid). If you go over the limit, your post just goes blank.

So if you're starting a new thread, you might want to reserve the first few posts for yourself for future updates (hopefully, admin can make a little exception to the "no double-posting" rule) (wait...is there such a rule?)

Anyways, I just didn't want anyone to lose all their work! Hope this helps :)
~ Links to my fanfiction ~

One-shots:
Click me~
Last Update: Simply Happy

Multi-chaptered:
Click me too!
Latest Update: Yours to Keep (Diego x Mia)

Moving on up!

Double posting is frowned upon because people are either too lazy to wait to post something else they thought of, or they don't know how to use the edit button and just keep posting stuff.

In this case, that should be fine and I don't have a problem with it.

I'll find out from an admin about the character limits.

It might be a better idea for older fics (or all of them) to post them on one of the fan fiction hosting sites to help with clutter though. It will allow you a broader audience for your work than just users who come to C-R, and you don't have to worry about the forums eating your fiction.

Edit: Failed grammar again. Go me.

lying is bad

Well, can I have two multichaptered fic threads and no one-shot threads? That would technically still be obeying the two thread rule per author, right?

Moving on up!

VeryHappyTaffy wrote:
Well, can I have two multichaptered fic threads and no one-shot threads? That would technically still be obeying the two thread rule per author, right?

That's fine. That designation was just an example of what you could have since some people have more than one type of fic. We just want things more centralized around here. It helps you too because if all your stories are in one place, it is easier for others to read them.

For example: You have five older fics that haven't had any new reviews in a while. You've written something new, and update your topic accordingly. A new readers comes along and reads it, likes it, and sees you have other fics. They read those too and then comment on them.

The other areas of the forum follow this too. Most artists only have one or two art threads: general fan art and comics are commons ones I've seen. The graphics and sprites as follow this to the same degree, but they usually have one thread since rarely would they need too (and there is a separate area for the sprite comics).

If anyone needs more help organizing their posts and other questions about this, you can always PM. I'm still catching up on some requests for mergers and removals because of work, but I should be caught up soon.

So do we know what the character limit for a post is?
LOL parody sig trend. Phoenix/Maya Day is Sept 5!
[ Read my fanfics! =) | Phoenix/Maya 'Evidence' List ]

Moving on up!

icer wrote:

That's probably a question for Wooster since he's the technical master of the forums. I'll pm him about it.

lying is bad

Lunaria42 wrote:
icer wrote:

That's probably a question for Wooster since he's the technical master of the forums. I'll pm him about it.

I hit the upper bound with about 35,000 words. So I'm guessing around 300,000 characters. I'll yield to whatever Wooster says, however.

Moving on up!

VeryHappyTaffy wrote:
Lunaria42 wrote:
icer wrote:

I hit the upper bound with about 35,000 words. So I'm guessing around 300,000 characters. I'll yield to whatever Wooster says, however.

Wooster says he looked for answer, but he can't decipher a number. My advice is to be careful and link to stories whenever possible. It's not going to hurt anyone to have to read something on Objection Archive or FF.net. I can see about figuring out away to link posts (A fic link in the first post linking to a later post).

A beautiful world indeed.

^

Oh I'm allowed to do this for stories that are under M rating?

Thank you.

Moving on up!

neoswordmaster wrote:
^

Oh I'm allowed to do this for stories that are under M rating?

Thank you.

Yes, you can link to any of your stories instead of posting them into the thread directly.

Well, if the preview works, does that mean it's under the char limit? Or does it only catch the error when it actually attempts to post to the [?]database? :sadshoe:
LOL parody sig trend. Phoenix/Maya Day is Sept 5!
[ Read my fanfics! =) | Phoenix/Maya 'Evidence' List ]

Attorney at Law

Here's how I organised mine:

present-testimony/serenity-fanfiction-t17366.html

Hope that helps those who are stumped xD

I also need someone to delete all my threads, all but one is inside my Signature :P
By: VICKINATOR!!!!<- WORSHIP HER.

- My Fanfiction -

Moving on up!

Serenity wrote:

I also need someone to delete all my threads, all but one is inside my Signature :P

Either PM me the links and I'll delete them or report them and any of the mods can delete them.

Attorney at Law

Lunaria42 wrote:
Serenity wrote:

Either PM me the links and I'll delete them or report them and any of the mods can delete them.

Umm... I was going to PM them but they were all already deleted so... sorry for the trouble!
By: VICKINATOR!!!!<- WORSHIP HER.

- My Fanfiction -

Fancy a cuppa?

created a new fanfiction thred. How do you mark old threds for deleting, exactly...?
^Click for link!

Moving on up!

edgeygavin wrote:
created a new fanfiction thred. How do you mark old threds for deleting, exactly...?

You can pm me all the links or change the topic titles to include the words delete me.

Hidden by a mask.

So let me get this strait, If I want to make more than one multi-chapter fanfic I have to put it on the same thread? Is that about right?

Moving on up!

Masked Sensation wrote:
So let me get this strait, If I want to make more than one multi-chapter fanfic I have to put it on the same thread? Is that about right?

Yes.
Re: UPDATED RULES: Two Topic Limit (All Fic Authors Must ReaTopic%20Title

OC Attorney At Law!

First of all, I'm just getting into this series and I already love it enough to write my own fanfiction of it. I have made a three-chapter rough draft of the plot and I'm currently re-writing it as a lengthely one-shot

I have a question though, since it's a one shot, should I separate my story into spoilers based on time/location changes?

I think that this would be a good way to establish a scene change in the thread.
Either way, I can't wait to see what everyone thinks, good or bad of my idea ^+^;

Also I'm working on a video series version of it, the presentation won't be spot on, but I'll do my best :3
Page 1 of 1 [ 36 posts ] 

Board index » Present Evidence » Present Testimony