Board index » Present Evidence » Present Testimony

Page 1 of 1[ 38 posts ]
 


What kind of fics do you like to read/write?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Fantina's perfect little Franny!

Gender: Female

Location: UK

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:33 pm

Posts: 3466

I enjoy reading all kinds of fics. I've been really enjoying the kink meme again because of how fun filling prompts and making prompts are. Also very fond of crossovers, gen fics and shippings, especially ones about obscure characters and pairings.

I'd love to write another crossover for Ace Attorney/Pokemon and would also like to try and make a novelization of Trials & Tribulations, which is one of my favourite games in the series.
Re: What kind of fics do you like to read/write?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Sheer badassery

Gender: Female

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:15 am

Posts: 47

When it comes to reading fanfics, I like to read well-written yaoi fanfics. However, I also like to read fanfics that are so horrible and stupid that it's hilarious *coughMyImmortalcough*.

As for writing fanfics, I don't really know what kind I like to write, as I rarely write fanfics.
Re: What kind of fics do you like to read/write?Topic%20Title

Gender: None specified

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:44 pm

Posts: 1410

None, because the majority of them are terrible. And why do there have to be fan fics for these hundreds of episodes long shonen anime!? Are you so starved for content that you have to resort to some crappy fanmade story when there's literally hours of official episodes you could be watching? And must I remind everyone that 50 Shades of Grey started out as Twilight fan fiction!?

I do enjoy adaptions of certain types of media into other media. For example, video games to comics, books to movies, etc. IF they're done right. Because when they good, you have two excellent companion pieces that work of one another masterfully.

I wrote an adaption of the original Metal Gear MSX games for the Punk Effect which I'm particularly proud of.
http://thepunkeffect.com/?p=14748
Re: What kind of fics do you like to read/write?Topic%20Title
User avatar

I'm not mad! I...I'm just angry.

Gender: Female

Location: The Bostonius

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:00 pm

Posts: 2775

TopHatProfessor1014 wrote:
None, because the majority of them are terrible. And why do there have to be fan fics for these hundreds of episodes long shonen anime!?


Because people write them.

Quote:
Are you so starved for content that you have to resort to some crappy fanmade story when there's literally hours of official episodes you could be watching?


Why do you assume the fanfiction writers haven't watched them all?

And people will write stories because they like a series. Believe it or not, being "so starved for content" isn't the number one reason for creating a fanwork.

Quote:
And must I remind everyone that 50 Shades of Grey started out as Twilight fan fiction!?


What does that have to do with it? I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

Image
...NAILED IT
Re: What kind of fics do you like to read/write?Topic%20Title

Gender: None specified

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:44 pm

Posts: 1410

Quote:
Because people write them.


And because pretty much anyone can write them, regardless of writing skill, that's why they're terrible and why I don't waste my time reading them.

Quote:
Why do you assume the fanfiction writers haven't watched them all?

And people will write stories because they like a series. Believe it or not, being "so starved for content" isn't the number one reason for creating a fanwork.


I don't know about you, but I'd be satisfied enough if I simply finished a long series. It'd be like climbing a tall mountain and finally reaching the peak. I wouldn't need anything else to prolong it.

Quote:
What does that have to do with it? I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here.


Because this trash is becoming a cultural phenomenon and starting a whole new fanbase. We don't need another Twilight ripoff franchise that's even worse. And besides, it's not even an original idea. This woman is going to make millions on the upcoming movie. Fanfiction is the direct cause of this travesty, IMO. :dahlia:
Re: What kind of fics do you like to read/write?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: None specified

Location: I'm at soup.

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:18 pm

Posts: 1504

TopHatProfessor1014 wrote:
Quote:
Because people write them.


And because pretty much anyone can write them, regardless of writing skill, that's why they're terrible and why I don't waste my time reading them.

It's not like all fan-fiction is terrible. Only 99%.
Quote:
Quote:
Why do you assume the fanfiction writers haven't watched them all?

And people will write stories because they like a series. Believe it or not, being "so starved for content" isn't the number one reason for creating a fanwork.


I don't know about you, but I'd be satisfied enough if I simply finished a long series. It'd be like climbing a tall mountain and finally reaching the peak. I wouldn't need anything else to prolong it.

Well, sometimes a series doesn't always cover all the loose ends, or had a plot point that while interesting, didn't get fleshed out properly. People who were interested in those write fics about them, and sometimes it turns out pretty good.
Just like...
just...
like...
@#$% it.
Image
(avatar image source)
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls
Re: What kind of fics do you like to read/write?Topic%20Title
User avatar

I'm not mad! I...I'm just angry.

Gender: Female

Location: The Bostonius

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:00 pm

Posts: 2775

TopHatProfessor1014 wrote:
Quote:
Because people write them.


And because pretty much anyone can write them, regardless of writing skill, that's why they're terrible and why I don't waste my time reading them.


Okay. Then why waste time commenting on something you consider garbage when you don't even read it in the first place?

Quote:
Quote:
Why do you assume the fanfiction writers haven't watched them all?

And people will write stories because they like a series. Believe it or not, being "so starved for content" isn't the number one reason for creating a fanwork.


I don't know about you, but I'd be satisfied enough if I simply finished a long series. It'd be like climbing a tall mountain and finally reaching the peak. I wouldn't need anything else to prolong it.


Hey, that's fine. But you can't dictate how others should express themselves in fandom.


Quote:
Quote:
What does that have to do with it? I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here.


Because this trash is becoming a cultural phenomenon and starting a whole new fanbase. We don't need another Twilight ripoff franchise that's even worse. And besides, it's not even an original idea. This woman is going to make millions on the upcoming movie. Fanfiction is the direct cause of this travesty, IMO. :dahlia:


No, a willing publisher, hundreds of thousands of people who enjoy terrible literature, and a movie team who sees an opportunity are "the direct cause of this travesty." Fanfiction isn't the reason shitty stories get published. It's true how 50 Shades started out, but can you tell me how Twilight began?

There's always going to be something shitty in the mainstream, and it'll be a nutty, corny stench some people can't get enough of. Sorry but you can't control it. But you can join in on the mockery.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

Image
...NAILED IT
Re: What kind of fics do you like to read/write?Topic%20Title

Gender: None specified

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:44 pm

Posts: 1410

Quote:
Okay. Then why waste time commenting on something you consider garbage when you don't even read it in the first place?


Well to quote the Angry Video Game Nerd: "When something's fucked up, it's fucked up."

Perhaps because I'm baffled why people would actually read this when the majority of it is garbage?

Quote:
Hey, that's fine. But you can't dictate how others should express themselves in fandom.


Of course not, it's my OPINION. That being said, I still don't understand the thinking behind all this. And fandom can be a pretty dangerous thing that ruins things for a lot of people.

Quote:
No, a willing publisher, hundreds of thousands of people who enjoy terrible literature, and a movie team who sees an opportunity are "the direct cause of this travesty." Fanfiction isn't the reason shitty stories get published. It's true how 50 Shades started out, but can you tell me how Twilight began?

There's always going to be something shitty in the mainstream, and it'll be a nutty, corny stench some people can't get enough of. Sorry but you can't control it. But you can join in on the mockery.


Yeah, but 50 Shades is a hundred times worse than Twilight. Sure, it was a pretty awful series to begin with, but did there really have to be fan fiction of it? That's basically the root of the evil here if you catch my drift. At least Twilight is an original work. 50 Shades is simply a shitty rip-off that's created an even worse fanbase.

Yeah, I could join in on the mockery occasionally. Or I could just try my best to ignore it. :viola:
Re: What kind of fics do you like to read/write?Topic%20Title
User avatar

I'm not mad! I...I'm just angry.

Gender: Female

Location: The Bostonius

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:00 pm

Posts: 2775

TopHatProfessor1014 wrote:
Quote:
Okay. Then why waste time commenting on something you consider garbage when you don't even read it in the first place?


Well to quote the Angry Video Game Nerd: "When something's fucked up, it's fucked up."

Perhaps because I'm baffled why people would actually read this when the majority of it is garbage?


Because it's fun? Because people like the original source? Because it's yummy, gooey crack?

Honestly, who cares? They're having their fun, and it isn't hurting anyone else.

Quote:
Quote:
Hey, that's fine. But you can't dictate how others should express themselves in fandom.


Of course not, it's my OPINION. That being said, I still don't understand the thinking behind all this. And fandom can be a pretty dangerous thing that ruins things for a lot of people.


Ruins... what? For... what people?

I don't see what the mystery is. It's a fun thing to do. People do it because they love a series. Yes, sometimes they want to explore something they felt wasn't explored in the series. But mostly it's for fun.

It sounds like you're questioning why people would bother revisiting something good they experienced in their lives. If that's the case, why bother being in the fandom at all? Why chat with other fans, roleplay, or hang out at message boards where people discuss characters and storylines and clues and possible future outcomes and backstories? ...Why do novel adaptations of a video game? You already experienced the thing once and should be satisfied. According to you, going back to it is the equivalent of dwelling on the past, and is a pointless thing to do.

Quote:
Quote:
No, a willing publisher, hundreds of thousands of people who enjoy terrible literature, and a movie team who sees an opportunity are "the direct cause of this travesty." Fanfiction isn't the reason shitty stories get published. It's true how 50 Shades started out, but can you tell me how Twilight began?

There's always going to be something shitty in the mainstream, and it'll be a nutty, corny stench some people can't get enough of. Sorry but you can't control it. But you can join in on the mockery.


Yeah, but 50 Shades is a hundred times worse than Twilight. Sure, it was a pretty awful series to begin with, but did there really have to be fan fiction of it? That's basically the root of the evil here if you catch my drift. At least Twilight is an original work. 50 Shades is simply a shitty rip-off that's created an even worse fanbase.

Yeah, I could join in on the mockery occasionally. Or I could just try my best to ignore it. :viola:


I am aware of how bad 50 Shades is. Its only redeeming trait is the occasional reading by a random celebrity, especially if it's a man.

I don't think you can blame fanfiction for shitty mainstream literature. For one, the overwhelming majority of fanfiction writers are just doing it for fun and have no intention of ever going professional. Second, there has been fanfiction of original works that didn't turn out so shitty (of course, the only one that comes to mind at the moment is Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead). Third... hey now, you leave them old ladies alone. They're just trying to have a little fun in their lives. :wendy:
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

Image
...NAILED IT
Re: What kind of fics do you like to read/write?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Location: France

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:02 pm

Posts: 70

Well... 99% percent of litterature in general is pretty bad, it's not only fanfictions (but it's true that with fanfiction anybody can publish anything so it can reach a whole new level of nonsense). But sometimes you can find cool things.
Honestly I don't see why you think there is a problem with fanfiction. Some of them are really interesting and well written (it's rare but it happen). For some people it's just a way to express their creativity. You won't yell at someone because they draw fanarts instead of drawing their own characters right ? Well, fanfiction is the same.
Re: What kind of fics do you like to read/write?Topic%20Title

Gender: None specified

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:44 pm

Posts: 1410

Kaiwatt wrote:
Well... 99% percent of litterature in general is pretty bad, it's not only fanfictions (but it's true that with fanfiction anybody can publish anything so it can reach a whole new level of nonsense). But sometimes you can find cool things.
Honestly I don't see why you think there is a problem with fanfiction. Some of them are really interesting and well written (it's rare but it happen). For some people it's just a way to express their creativity. You won't yell at someone because they draw fanarts instead of drawing their own characters right ? Well, fanfiction is the same.


You've pretty much proved my point. "It's rare, but it happens." That's what I'm trying to say. If it's so rare to find GOOD fan fiction, especially when people who don't know how to even spell can write them, why the hell should I bother with it?

"Express their creativity?" Tell that to people like Justin Bieber and Rebecca Black, poisoning music with their horrid songs. But hey, they're just "expressing their creativity," aren't they?

And if the fanart is bad, I will say that it's bad. It's even easier to spot good art from bad art since it's a visual medium. We ain't talkin' no Claude Monet or Pablo Picasso here. If it's drawn by amateurs, there's a far higher chance of it being bad.

That's why I only write original stories or for professional websites. I've dabbled in some adaptions of Metal Gear, and while they turned out pretty well, I'd much prefer writing something that I wrote on my own 100%.
Re: What kind of fics do you like to read/write?Topic%20Title
User avatar

I'm not mad! I...I'm just angry.

Gender: Female

Location: The Bostonius

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:00 pm

Posts: 2775

TopHatProfessor1014 wrote:
Kaiwatt wrote:
Well... 99% percent of litterature in general is pretty bad, it's not only fanfictions (but it's true that with fanfiction anybody can publish anything so it can reach a whole new level of nonsense). But sometimes you can find cool things.
Honestly I don't see why you think there is a problem with fanfiction. Some of them are really interesting and well written (it's rare but it happen). For some people it's just a way to express their creativity. You won't yell at someone because they draw fanarts instead of drawing their own characters right ? Well, fanfiction is the same.


You've pretty much proved my point. "It's rare, but it happens." That's what I'm trying to say. If it's so rare to find GOOD fan fiction, especially when people who don't know how to even spell can write them, why the hell should I bother with it?


I don't know. Why should you?
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

Image
...NAILED IT
Re: What kind of fics do you like to read/write?Topic%20Title

Gender: None specified

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:44 pm

Posts: 1410

Quote:
I don't know. Why should you?


You just answered your own question.
Re: What kind of fics do you like to read/write?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Location: France

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:02 pm

Posts: 70

I get that you don't think it's interesting for you to read fanfictions and nobody forces you to read them.
But (and I may be wrong) I feel some sort of disdain from you when you're talking about people who enjoy reading or writing them while they are doing nothing wrong, they're just having fun. That is an attitude I deplore.
And who cares about Justin Bieber ? He's doing his music. Yeah, before you go and say it's shit or something let me tell you this : I don't care. That's what he likes to do, some people enjoy it. Maybe he's a bad singer, maybe he's a good one. I don't know and I don't care (I never listened to his albums) but even if I thought he was the worst singer on the whole planet I wouldn't forbid him to sing and sell his albums.

Let me ask you something. If you're not ready to search for good things, why do you even bother discovering new things ? There are plenty bad creations out there and few good ones. It's true for EVERYTHING. So why do you bother ? Why do you bother searching for good music, good games, good movies ?
Re: What kind of fics do you like to read/write?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gardevoir lover

Gender: Male

Location: Puerto rico

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:20 am

Posts: 2022

I have a Digimon fanfic.
Image

My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/
Re: What kind of fics do you like to read/write?Topic%20Title

Gender: None specified

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:44 pm

Posts: 1410

Kaiwatt wrote:
I get that you don't think it's interesting for you to read fanfictions and nobody forces you to read them.
But (and I may be wrong) I feel some sort of disdain from you when you're talking about people who enjoy reading or writing them while they are doing nothing wrong, they're just having fun. That is an attitude I deplore.
And who cares about Justin Bieber ? He's doing his music. Yeah, before you go and say it's shit or something let me tell you this : I don't care. That's what he likes to do, some people enjoy it. Maybe he's a bad singer, maybe he's a good one. I don't know and I don't care (I never listened to his albums) but even if I thought he was the worst singer on the whole planet I wouldn't forbid him to sing and sell his albums.

Let me ask you something. If you're not ready to search for good things, why do you even bother discovering new things ? There are plenty bad creations out there and few good ones. It's true for EVERYTHING. So why do you bother ? Why do you bother searching for good music, good games, good movies ?


I honestly don't give a damn if you read fan fiction. If that's what you want, fine. I'm criticizing fan fiction ITSELF and not the readers.

People like Justin Bieber represent the absolute rock bottom of American culture. From his voice, pathetic songs, and conceited messages, he's nothing but white trash.

If the majority of fan fiction is bad, I'm not going to bother sifting through all that crap. It's not worth it, and I have better things to do with my time. And unlike music, games, and movies, there's even less good fan fiction. Granted, the majority of anything is probably junk, but about 99% of fan fiction is. With music, games, and movies, it's more around 95%.

And personally, I don't see any need for fan fiction to exist. There's far better literature out there, and it only distorts and perverts the original author's intentions. That's also why there are so few good movie adaptions of books, but even that's miles better than fan fiction. At least with that, they're trying to capture the spirit of the original story in a different medium. To me, fan fiction is pain medicine for people who don't want a particular franchise to end. Just let it go.
Re: What kind of fics do you like to read/write?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Location: France

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:02 pm

Posts: 70

Well. That's not how I see fanfiction. For me fanfiction is just a way to have a different interpretation of the story and it's not necessarily uninteresting. I think that whole "oh that's horrible you're destroying the original story" is irrelevant. On the contrary, if the writer can make a good story using a pre-existing universe but add his own style, I think that makes it a good work.

Our whole litterature, our whole art, and even mythologies and religions are about different interpretations of the sames stories. That's how people create, how they are inspired. Classic theater for example is like a plagiarism of Greek tragedy. Most paintings are just representations of myths, historical events, etc.
I think we just don't see things the same way. But hey, you aren't completely wrong, I kinda understand your point of view. I just disagree.

You said you were writing original stories ? That's cool. What are they talking about ? :)
Re: What kind of fics do you like to read/write?Topic%20Title

Gender: None specified

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:44 pm

Posts: 1410

Kaiwatt wrote:
Well. That's not how I see fanfiction. For me fanfiction is just a way to have a different interpretation of the story and it's not necessarily uninteresting. I think that whole "oh that's horrible you're destroying the original story" is irrelevant. On the contrary, if the writer can make a good story using a pre-existing universe but add his own style, I think that makes it a good work.

Our whole litterature, our whole art, and even mythologies and religions are about different interpretations of the sames stories. That's how people create, how they are inspired. Classic theater for example is like a plagiarism of Greek tragedy. Most paintings are just representations of myths, historical events, etc.
I think we just don't see things the same way. But hey, you aren't completely wrong, I kinda understand your point of view. I just disagree.

You said you were writing original stories ? That's cool. What are they talking about ? :)


I'm sure that they exist, I'm just saying that they're so few of them out there. Who knows? Maybe there is a fan fiction out there that's on par or even better than the original work.

I wouldn't call that example plagiarism. More of inspiration. Look at Star Wars for example. That's a combination of John Campbell's Hero's Journey, Eastern philosophy, samurai films, spaghetti Westerns, homages to classic films, and tons more. It's not plagiarism, more of a celebration of culture put into one film. Today, it's extremely rare to find an original idea that's 100% your own. I even admit that with my own writings, I've been heavily inspired by some other stuff.

Awhile back, I started writing a detective novel called "Neo-Noir." It's in the style of those old film noir movies from the 1940s, but set in a contemporary setting. It takes place in this decadent city called Neo Haven and in the near-future. There's also a smaller district within the city called Old Haven, which is more in line with what you'd see in a black and white movie. Trench coats, fedora hats, old-fashioned fire arms, etc. The rest of the city, "Neo," is way more modern with people having computers, smartphones, etc. I'm trying to describe it as a combination of eras and cultures, not unlike Ridley Scott's futuristic vision of L.A. in Blade Runner.

Crime is at an all time high, and the government is overwhelmed with so many cases. Because of this, they team up with private detective agencies and start a special forces unit nicknamed "Gumshoes" to investigate these crimes. The main protagonist, Jack Johnson, is one of these detectives. He's graduated from the academy is moving in to Neo Haven to take over the private agency of his late older brother, Ray Johnson. He was mysteriously murdered months ago, and Jack wants to find the truth. However, he becomes preoccupied with what seems like a standard murder case that's happened at a nearby hotel. As he investigates this death, he soon uncovers a large conspiracy that will change his life forever.

My inspirations consist Humphrey Bogart films, Blade Runner, Snatcher, Policenauts, L.A. Confidential, and even Ace Attorney. While the themes are similar to those works, I'm trying to make it original with the plot and characters. I've been writing it for over two years, but life has gotten in the way. I'd like to return to it eventually, but I'm busy writing for professional sites The Punk Effect and Video Game Music Online.

For English class recently though, we've been given the assignment to write a short story in the style of Ernest Hemingway. I'm very wordy when it comes to my writing, but how I tell my stories with dialogue is similar to Hemingway. What I'm writing is a yakuza crime drama set in the style of The Killers. It's again very similar to film noir, but it has a distinct Japanese setting and I've tried very hard to get the names, places, and culture down with accuracy. I want it to be authentic as possible. I've called it "Giri," which roughly translates to "duty" or "obligation." It follows the story of Kenji, a relatively new member to the Inagawa-kai syndicate of the yakuza. He and his partner Daisuke are given orders to assassinate an influential leader of a rival clan so they secure important territory from him. The attempt on his life fails, and Daisuke is severely punished for his failure since he was the one with the sniper rifle. Kenji is then ordered to go back in alone to finish the job. But when he does infiltrate the HQ, he finds himself hesitating to kill the clan leader. It turns out that he cares greatly for his men, treating them like members of his family. He's happily married to his wife and has young children. The leader isn't a bloodthirsty person, but someone who is genuinely human in a business that's about illegal activities.

The main theme I'm trying to evoke here is the place of duty against human emotion. The opposite of giri is "ninjo" which means just that. It's a story about humanity among a gang of mobsters, so it'll be interesting to see how much philosophy I can put in to something that's only supposed to be a few pages long. I've always been fascinated by the yakuza and their code of honor. It makes me wonder what it's like being part of it.

Sorry for the wall of text, but that's what I'm working on currently. :jake:
Re: What kind of fics do you like to read/write?Topic%20Title
User avatar

I'm not mad! I...I'm just angry.

Gender: Female

Location: The Bostonius

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:00 pm

Posts: 2775

TopHatProfessor1014 wrote:
Quote:
I don't know. Why should you?


You just answered your own question.


And how did I answer my own question?

TopHatProfessor1014 wrote:

I honestly don't give a damn if you read fan fiction. If that's what you want, fine. I'm criticizing fan fiction ITSELF and not the readers.


Quote:
fan fiction is pain medicine for people who don't want a particular franchise to end. Just let it go.


Sounds like you're criticizing them after all.

Just let it go? Maybe you should consider taking your own advice.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

Image
...NAILED IT
Re: What kind of fics do you like to read/write?Topic%20Title

Gender: None specified

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:44 pm

Posts: 1410

Quote:
And how did I answer my own question?


Because I said that there's no point to reading fan fiction if 99% of it is bad.

Quote:
Sounds like you're criticizing them after all.

Just let it go? Maybe you should consider taking your own advice.


Nope, I'm still just criticizing fan fiction itself. Never in any of my posts have I specifically said something like, "Anyone who reads fan fiction is an idiot." I called fan fiction "pain medicine" because I view it has being written to prolong a particular franchise. It has nothing to do with the people themselves.
Re: What kind of fics do you like to read/write?Topic%20Title
User avatar

I'm not mad! I...I'm just angry.

Gender: Female

Location: The Bostonius

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:00 pm

Posts: 2775

TopHatProfessor1014 wrote:
Quote:
And how did I answer my own question?


Because I said that there's no point to reading fan fiction if 99% of it is bad.


No, you asked why you, personally, should be reading fanfiction. No one has ever stated or implied your participation is mandatory.

If you don't like it, don't read it, to use an often-abused phrase. It makes no sense to repeatedly attack something that doesn't affect your own life in the least.

Quote:
Sounds like you're criticizing them after all.

Just let it go? Maybe you should consider taking your own advice.


Nope, I'm still just criticizing fan fiction itself. Never in any of my posts have I specifically said something like, "Anyone who reads fan fiction is an idiot." I called fan fiction "pain medicine" because I view it has being written to prolong a particular franchise. It has nothing to do with the people themselves.[/quote]

By calling it pain medicine, you are comparing people who read/write fanfiction, a completely victimless, perfectly healthy hobby, to people who are sick enough to need medication, which sounds like criticism of the people to me. You are implying something is wrong with someone if enjoyment of fanfiction ranks anywhere on their list.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

Image
...NAILED IT
Re: What kind of fics do you like to read/write?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Worthy's Girl. Den Mother. PxE Shipper

Gender: Female

Location: Somewhere In Dream Time (Maine) having tea with Miles Edgeworth and discussing fanfiction.

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:27 pm

Posts: 2919

I like to read well-written yaoi pairing [99.9% of what I read], straight pairing and yuri pairing fanfics in a wide range of different anime series and video games in varied settings-serious, comedic, sexy, mature, teen, fantasy, realistic setting-depending on my mood.

I write Phoenix x Edgeworth yaoi fanfics mostly-and other yaoi couples, either in game or my own preferred shipping such as CabanOwd [Detective Jowd x Inspector Cabanela] in Ghost Trick; Watanuki x Doumeki in XXXHOLIC, John Watson x Sherlock Holmes and Gregory Lestrade x Mycroft Holmes in BBC's Sherlock, to name a few-in all kinds of different settings and moods [ie AU, Vampire, historical et al.] I did write one GrimgriMoire yuri fic for my husband, DezoPenguin, as a 10th wedding anniversary gift in 2009 but have not written one since.

PxE is, and always has been since I first started writing yaoi in 2007, my main fic couple that I write for and the yaoi pairing I love the most. :edgey: :phoenix:
Image
Kickin' AWESOME Sig By Elriel! Avatar Artwork by Enrychan (Commission)! Thanks! :)
"Bravo! Another triumph for deductive reasoning!"--SH (Michael Caine)
Re: What kind of fics do you like to read/write?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Obsession ♥

Gender: Female

Location: Austria

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:38 pm

Posts: 1227

I mostly read yaoi-fanfics, preferably PxE and AxK, but also other yaoi pairings, for example Eren x Levi from Shingeki No Kyojin. When I'm writing fanfics, there's most likely a chance that I'll definitely write yaoi, but I'm also writing about nongay pairings (femalexmale) and I even wrote a yuri-fanfic, so when I'm writing it differs a lot, but at reading there's only yaoi for me.
You took my heart, smashed it with your bare feet and you still wonder why I left you?
Re: What kind of fics do you like to read/write?Topic%20Title
User avatar

heh

Gender: Male

Location: Canada

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:48 pm

Posts: 756

I prefer yuri or femslash. I also like to read about my favourite pairings.

50 Shades of Grey came from fanfiction, like Twilight is a novel. That doesn't make all fanfictions and novels bad. What's sad is the amount of people who got entranced by such horrible writing.

It will surely die off about a year after the last movie. The only mentions of Twilight these days are from the people who hate it so much.

Edit: I found a really good fic about Blackquill's life in prison. It isn't complete, but the last update was two weeks ago.
http://archiveofourown.org/works/177831 ... rs/3808246
:simon:
Lang Zi says: "Localize Gyakuten Kenji 2."
Re: What kind of fics do you like to read/write?Topic%20Title
User avatar

I've vanished, like a ghooooost...

Gender: Female

Location: Unfortunately, in school...

Rank: Medium-in-training

Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:01 am

Posts: 583

I just like reading fanfiction sometimes.

As for ones I write, I usually write fanfiction that close up plot holes in certain cases, tell certain stories from another person's point of view, and making WAY better endings to some stories. I will now proceed to drone on about them.

As for the plot hole cover-up, an example of one that I've written is a fanfic about what happened during the courtroom bombing in Dual Destinies. Not really a plot hole, but I kinda made up a separate plot line in which Prosecutor Blackquill saves Apollo from getting hurt by the bomb, he he.

As for the "telling certain stories from another person's point of view" thing, I wrote a fanfic from Godot's POV telling an unnamed person (that's totally not Mia at all) about how he got poisoned by Dahlia. Not a long fanfic, but I like it enough.

For the way better ending one, well, this one'll need a spoiler tag probably.
Spoiler: Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy
Oh, did I forget to mention I write Professor Layton fanfics a lot too? Oops.

Anyway, I wrote a fanfic that begins in the cave, right when Emmy grabs Luke. I changed the story to where Descole knocks Emmy away and holds her at swordpoint. He then explains that he read a part of the Azran Pillar in the Nest that explained how to destroy the key. He wasn't actually betraying Layton, he was just putting on a show for Bronev. Later on, Descole still gets hurt by the Azran guardian, and he still tells Layton that he's his brother, but I changed one plot twist that no one needed - now, their real parents are both dead, NOT BRONEV!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I really loved this fanfic. And no one dies in the end and then comes back to life!

:shoe: Hurrah!
I AM IN SCHOOL, SO IF I END UP NEVER POSTING HERE AGAIN THAT'S WHY :larry:
For me, tumblr is more easily accessible on a day to day basis, so if you REALLY want to, go there. :think:
Re: What kind of fics do you like to read/write?Topic%20Title
User avatar

I've vanished, like a ghooooost...

Gender: Female

Location: Unfortunately, in school...

Rank: Medium-in-training

Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:01 am

Posts: 583

I just like reading fanfiction sometimes.

As for ones I write, I usually write fanfiction that close up plot holes in certain cases, tell certain stories from another person's point of view, and making WAY better endings to some stories. I will now proceed to drone on about them.

As for the plot hole cover-up, an example of one that I've written is a fanfic about what happened during the courtroom bombing in Dual Destinies. Not really a plot hole, but I kinda made up a separate plot line in which Prosecutor Blackquill saves Apollo from getting hurt by the bomb, he he.

As for the "telling certain stories from another person's point of view" thing, I wrote a fanfic from Godot's POV telling an unnamed person (that's totally not Mia at all) about how he got poisoned by Dahlia. Not a long fanfic, but I like it enough.

For the way better ending one, well, this one'll need a spoiler tag probably.
Spoiler: Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy
Oh, did I forget to mention I write Professor Layton fanfics a lot too? Oops.

Anyway, I wrote a fanfic that begins in the cave, right when Emmy grabs Luke. I changed the story to where Descole knocks Emmy away and holds her at swordpoint. He then explains that he read a part of the Azran Pillar in the Nest that explained how to destroy the key. He wasn't actually betraying Layton, he was just putting on a show for Bronev. Later on, Descole still gets hurt by the Azran guardian, and he still tells Layton that he's his brother, but I changed one plot twist that no one needed - now, their real parents are both dead, NOT BRONEV!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I really loved this fanfic. And no one dies in the end and then comes back to life!

:shoe: Hurrah!
I AM IN SCHOOL, SO IF I END UP NEVER POSTING HERE AGAIN THAT'S WHY :larry:
For me, tumblr is more easily accessible on a day to day basis, so if you REALLY want to, go there. :think:
Re: What kind of fics do you like to read/write?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Location: Germany

Rank: Decisive Witness

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:42 pm

Posts: 216

As rarely as I read fan fiction, when I do read it, it's usually because I want to read a specific scenario that did not happen in the official material. Occasionally it's because I want to see how other fans interpreted an ambiguous, but canon event. I don't enjoy reading fan fiction. I would prefer to find what I'm looking for in canon or a healthy discussion, but sometimes that's simply not possible, and you know, everyone gets desperate once in a while. :ron:
More often than not, I have to save the fic into a text file and run the "replace" feature through a couple of keywords to make it less cringe-inducing (one of my major pet peeves is when a writer uses the wrong names for the characters, or uses completely out-of-place vulgar terms for random things). Even so, some fics have a really interesting story, and if they weren't so badly written, they could actually be fun to read. I sometimes use those for inspiration to feed my own headcanon.
Re: What kind of fics do you like to read/write?Topic%20Title
User avatar

The Angel

Gender: Male

Location: Where else but Here?

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:53 pm

Posts: 3385

Image
>MFW I'm writing a MLP EQG fanfic
>mfw it's over 10k lines long
>mfw I'm more proud of how long I've been working on and and how well it was received than how autistic I feel for writing it
>mfw it's full of smut
>mfw it's purposely written in the second person format
>mfw this was harder for me to do than it was writing it in a normal style
>mfw a group of haters dislike it because they say it's just another shitty self insert fapfic
>mfw this design was intentional.

Re: What kind of fics do you like to read/write?Topic%20Title
User avatar

heh

Gender: Male

Location: Canada

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:48 pm

Posts: 756

Right now I'm into Justicykes smut.
Lang Zi says: "Localize Gyakuten Kenji 2."
Re: What kind of fics do you like to read/write?Topic%20Title

Gender: None specified

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:48 pm

Posts: 3

I mostly like to read stories that are well written and have good characters and stories. Stories and characters that I can relate to, and stories that really hook me in. Some of my all time favorite fan fics are Pokemon and My Little Pony fan fics, and there is one Pretty Cure one, too.
Re: What kind of fics do you like to read/write?Topic%20Title
User avatar

a fine collection of robins

Gender: Male

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:00 am

Posts: 44

I usually just read/write terrible humour fics. Though sometimes I check out the really bad ones for a blog I run. Anything with Blackquill/Maya/Franziska in the same story pretty much guarantees that I'll read it >_>
Re: What kind of fics do you like to read/write?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Edgeworth... You Baka.

Gender: Female

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:56 pm

Posts: 3

I love writing Angst fics and I will die happy if I get some good P x E fanfiction thats Fluff/ Angst/ Tragedy
Re: What kind of fics do you like to read/write?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Fantina's perfect little Franny!

Gender: Female

Location: UK

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:33 pm

Posts: 3466

milaza wrote:
I usually just read/write terrible humour fics. Though sometimes I check out the really bad ones for a blog I run. Anything with Blackquill/Maya/Franziska in the same story pretty much guarantees that I'll read it >_>

Three very great characters.
Re: What kind of fics do you like to read/write?Topic%20Title

Gender: Female

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Mon May 09, 2016 11:49 pm

Posts: 16

I love to write and read sickfics. I don't know why, but I enjoy reading fics where my favorite character gets sick or injured :3
Re: What kind of fics do you like to read/write?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Αψε Αττορνευ

Gender: Male

Location: ???

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:42 am

Posts: 2467

I suck at writing fanfics. I like reading crackfics and trollfic sometimes,but only if they're written bad in a good way,if you catch my drift.

I do like reading fanfics that take themselves seriously,but I hate it when those flop.
Hi,I'm Southern Corn,but you can call me SC. My friends are great,and my enemies irate.

Story CrafterSC's Case Rankings™SC's LinksMysterious QR CodeCountdown to the Apocalypse

What is a quadrilateral with one 90° angle called? PM me the answer. Those who succeed get a free cookie! :cookie:
Re: What kind of fics do you like to read/write?Topic%20Title
User avatar

I do what the good girls don't

Gender: None specified

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:31 am

Posts: 8

In terms of reading, I'll be honest in that I tend to often read either my friends' works or a writer that I enjoyed their writing style a lot. For certain fandoms it might be for a pairing I like.

With writing, I tend to like to write scenarios that I want expanded or hasn't been shown in canon. Before I often wrote several domestic fics (for a different fandom), haha.
Tumblr | FFnet | AO3
Dancing With Butterflies and Dragons (aa6 spoilers, some suggestive content and other warnings)
Re: What kind of fics do you like to read/write?Topic%20Title

Dark makes everything cooler.

Gender: Female

Location: In the clouds.

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:07 pm

Posts: 44

I read and write fanfiction a lot. I mean it - an enormous lot.
In reading, I like Hurt/Comfort fics a lot, and anything with a parental pairing. I also like friendly pairings, main being PxE for the AA fandom. I don't read romance a lot comparatively (but I do have an OTP for the series: Minix). Parental stuff always makes me smile.
In writing, I tend towards friendship or hurt/comfort fics. I don't think I can write humour well, so I avoid it.
Re: What kind of fics do you like to read/write?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Ace Procrastinator

Gender: Male

Location: USA

Rank: Medium-in-training

Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:47 pm

Posts: 308

My fics tend to have a lot of angst and suffering in them. I might write a humorous fic one day.
Page 1 of 1 [ 38 posts ] 
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

 Board index » Present Evidence » Present Testimony

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum
Jump to:  
News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list
Powered by phpBB

phpBB SEO