Board index » Present Evidence » Present Testimony

Page 1 of 2[ 74 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Crime and Punishment (T&T, GS4 Spoilers)--Updated 9/12Topic%20Title

My son is bored. Care to play with him?

This starts immediately after Phoenix is disbarred. Iris is still in prison and Phoenix is out of his element. Here I attempt to portray their romance through correspondence. I originally intended to contain this within two letters, but my creative instincts are leading me to write more. I will submit the first two letters for your review and collect feedback before writing more. I sincerely hope you enjoy reading it as much as I do writing it. Here goes:

Part I: Captivity in Freedom

Dear Iris,

We both know what a simple sap I become when I visit you at the Detention Center, so naturally I've been meaning to write you for a while. Don't get me wrong. Those visits are the happiest hours of my week and I intend to continue them until they let you out and I can hold you again. There's just so much to say and so little time to say it during those monitored visits. Here on paper I can open my innermost self to you and be sure that the only interested eyes to see me in this vulnerable state are yours. Frankly, you're the only person I can trust to handle this side of me with the necessary care. Now that I've gotten that off my chest, I do believe it's time to end the formalities and begin my testimony. *wink*

Going on, I've been meaning to write you, but until recently I've lacked the opportunity. Work has kept me busy. First let me reassure you that Pearls has not dealt me any permanent nasal damage. After all, she'd never disfigure "Mr. Nick" and thus make him ugly for Mystic Maya to behold. That and Maya has been teasing me relentlessly about you ever since we met at Hazakura Temple. I begin to wonder if she's doing that partly to clue Pearls in. One way or another, Pearls will eventually get the picture. Maya has her work cut out for her learning to preside as the new Master of Kurain, but I think she's up to the task. She's strong, that one. Edgeworth continues to build his resume overseas. I just hope he doesn't get himself detained by some totalitarian power during his world tour. As for me, I have more freetime than usual, which is both a blessing and a curse. It's a blessing in that it spares me the stress of down-to-the-wire courtroom showdowns and above all allows me to converse with you on a deeper level. It's a curse in that Wright & Co. Law Offices no longer makes money.

A few days ago, I lost my second and last case. As might be expected, it was another murder case. I took it on at the last minute. It turned out one of the few clues I had to work with was forged and I got roasted alive for it. I was disbarred on the grounds that I intentionally presented false evidence. The prosecutor himself seemed like a nice enough guy, but I have to ask: Why is it that the prosecution can present falsified testimony and come out relatively unscathed while the defense is only one step away from disbarment? I smell a rat but there doesn't seem to be much I can do about it. I'm free to go, but where do I go? It's alright, Iris; I don't expect an answer to those questions. I should be able to manage as long as I keep my wits about me. That's where you come in. I need you more than ever, Iris. As long as I have you, nothing can keep me down. The phoenix always comes back, after all. No matter how long and dark the tunnel, I'll keep moving forward as long as your love and companionship light the end.

But that's enough about me. My woes are a burden you shouldn't have to bear, especially since I'm sure you have woes of your own there in prison. If there's anything I can do to make your stay more bearable, please let me know. Especially now, while I scramble to find my place in the world, anything I can do to make you happy will help me feel useful. I gladly place myself entirely at your service.

Eternally Yours,

Feenie

Part II: Freedom in Captivity

Dearest Feenie,

You're always good for a laugh with your humility and sharp wit. You don't need to be eloquent when you visit me, Feenie. Your eyes say it all. In fact, I'm highly flattered that my presence has that effect on you. It's so dear that I would lean forward and hug you with all the strength I could muster if that glass wasn't in the way. Even so, that letter was precious. To think you still trust me that much after all you've been through...it's an honor beyond words and one I'll do everything in my power to earn.

Leave it to you to find a cold, practical motive for little Pearl to restrain her hand! That gave me the biggest laugh I've had for some time. Still, I hope she gets the hint soon. Seeing her hit you hurts me as much as it does you. Edgeworth...now he was an interesting fellow. Although a little stiff, he struck me as basically a kind man. Stern, but kind. I do remember, though, that he was surprisingly hostile toward the Kurain Tradition. He said its practitioners were "nothing but frauds". Since you're his friend, would you happen to know why he feels that way?

I'm glad you've managed to glean some good from your current situation, but that's a horrible chain of events! I can't help but admire your fortitude, Feenie. The world has conspired against you and you still put on a brave face for me. Oh, my poor Feenie! If you ever need a shoulder to cry on, you need only come to me. It's the least I can do after all you've done for me. I'm deeply touched that my continued affection strengthens you so, but you don't need to ask for it; you already have it. If I can absolve myself of all the wrong I've done you simply by waiting for you, then my every thought will be with you. Believe it or not, Feenie, prison hasn't been that bad. Sure it gets lonely, but you've done a lot to alleviate that already. Rumor has it that I'm "the happiest jailbird on the cellblock". It's all thanks to you. I need only remember your visits and a soft smile lights my face.

As far as what you can do for me, I have three simple requests. First, stay alive--I nearly lost you twice: once to Dahlia's malice and once to Dusky Bridge. I don't want to risk losing you again. Second, be my eyes--your last letter was an excellent example of that. Just keep doing what you're doing. I realize this last request may be a bit selfish, but please wait for me. You're the one I want to come home to when they release me. Sister Bikini has been very kind to me, but I only stayed at Hazakura Temple as long as I did to purify my soul. If you'll have me, I want nothing more than to spend the rest of my life serving you as your wife. I eagerly await your next letter.

Singing in the Cage,

Iris

Last edited by Gregory Wright on Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:34 am, edited 7 times in total.
Re: Crime and Punishment (T&T, GS4 Spoilers)Topic%20Title

You're too slow!

That's really cute. I can actually sorta see that happening, since Iris seems like someone Phoenix can trust. I didn't read the spoilers on Phoenix's letter (since I didn't wanna spoil myself for AJ).

But I'm glad that you didn't make the two letters super extrememly cliche lovey-dovey and such. You actually made them seem like great friends, a good new start for them (and for future fics if you make them hopefully :phoenix:)

Overall, I think both letters are well done, it's believable, and it detailed some things that I probably didn't think about (like Iris being the happiest in prison, it's probably true, and how much she probably wanted to hug Feenie through that wall).

I wish Iris could come back in Gyakuten Saiban 5/Apollo Justice 2. That would be cool.

Please make more like this (Feenris of course)
Image Image

I'm struggling to find words to describe this....... hmm...

Ah, yes, Awesomesauce. This is Awesomesauce. Feenris in general is Awesomesauce.

Well written! Although it seems a bit too well written on Phoenix's part. Phoenix strikes me as smart, but not that smart. Iris, though, I can definitely see writing like that.

superangelo128 wrote:
0I didn't read the spoilers on Phoenix's letter (since I didn't wanna spoil myself for AJ).

I read it, there's no spoilers that you don't probably already know. It's just about that case 2 months after GS3.

Last edited by Somestickguy on Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

True love is forever.

Very nicely done! I could really feel the emotion in both letters and I thought you nailed the relationship at this point in time. I'm very impressed. Keep up the good work.
Proud Supporter of Phoenix/Iris, Ron/Dessie, Klavier/Ema, and Apollo/Vera
Fanfics Updated-12/25

Faith is for the transient people.

... Wow. I'm very, very impressed, Gregory Wright. Your work has touched me, and I salute you, fellow FeenRis shipper and writer. Please, continue if you have more. :D
Proud supporter of Phoenix/Iris, past, present and future
Thank you Elriel! :D

Wibbly wobbly timey-wimey stuff

I just finished reading this... And I can think of no words that can praise this work enough. You caught the way I thought Iris and Phoenix's relationship was going at the time absolutely perfectly. I... just don't know what to say about it, other than I support you through this the whole way. I'm a FeenRis shipper myself, and your work gives me lots of faith that there are others out there that feel the same way... Please, please continue, but for all that is holy, take your time... I know how badly rushed fanfics can ruin the moment... And I see so much potential in this fanfic that it'd pain me to see anything go wrong with it.

Slezak gives Crime and Punishment...
5 out of 5 stars.
It's currently too short to really give any bonus points, but once more is written (which I sincerely hope there will be...) I'll definitely consider giving you a higher rating.
Thank you for reading. I hope you have a wonderful day.
100% pure Joy.
Excellent source of puns.
Refrigerate after opening.

My profound thanks for all of your replies so far. I now feel free to continue this project. It's funny...when I first wrote these letters, I was pretty proud of them and couldn't wait to submit them. Then when I submitted them, I almost immediately began to doubt myself. You've probably been there, I'm sure. I was almost sweating bullets when I first saw those replies. Your support has emboldened me immeasurably. I shall resume composition as soon as possible and see where it takes me. In the meantime, additional feedback is welcome.:phoenix:

You're too slow!

Gregory Wright wrote:
My profound thanks for all of your replies so far. I now feel free to continue this project. It's funny...when I first wrote these letters, I was pretty proud of them and couldn't wait to submit them. Then when I submitted them, I almost immediately began to doubt myself. You've probably been there, I'm sure. I was almost sweating bullets when I first saw those replies. Your support has emboldened me immeasurably. I shall resume composition as soon as possible and see where it takes me. In the meantime, additional feedback is welcome.:phoenix:

Haha of course. The next fic is still gonna be about Phoenix x Iris right?
Image Image

Ab-SO-lutely, sir! :bellboy:

Absolutely fatabulorific! I cannot wait for the next installment!
100% pure Joy.

Location: Downtown Toronto, Ontario, Canada (yes i live in canada)

Awsome! We have so many new Feenris shippers too! This is amazin and i thought only Xero was doin the Feenris stuff.
sigTolombo conMagic

You're too slow!

Yeah I'm kinda surprised too, though I'm also kinda sad that it's not really that popular.

It's more canon (as of now) than Phoenix/Edgeworth and Phoenix/Maya, yet those two couples are some of the most popular everywhere.

I've wanted to make Feenris fanart and fanfiction, but sadly I'm not good at either...
Image Image

Guys, let's stop with the off-topic posts. Give Gregory time to work on the next installment, however long it might take. Any Feenris discussion should be taken to... maybe the Defendant's Lobby? (Someone needs to make a Feenris Support thread, there we can talk about them.)

Violet Blu; KristophxViola Supporter

This is awesome!
Phoenix and Iris are meant for each other!
:D
I support Feenris!
^-^
I loved the letters.
The emotion was amazing.
Sort of like poetry<3
Don't forget the past...
Sig by Donald_S; Avi by Slezak
Married to Slezak<3<3<3<3<3
Proud mother to IrisWright<3

At long last, I have installments III and IV ready for your perusal! I'm not sure if it's technically here or in the next two letters where I begin to deviate from GS4, but I will deviate from it soon if I haven't already begun, just so there's no confusion. Once again, feedback is welcome and desired.

Part III: Ace of Clubs

Dear Iris,

Reading your letter, I am reminded of why even after the "real" you ripped me to shreds in public and was convicted of murder, I refused to make the connection. Love that sweet and hatred that bitter could not coexist within the same soul. Your physical resemblance to Dahlia may have deceived me about your name, but nothing could disguise your soul and it was your soul that kept my interest. You are a rare treasure, Iris, and I am extremely lucky to have found you however evil the circumstances of our meeting.

Speaking of luck, I have some good news. For starters, the case that cost me my badge has given me a daughter. Her name is Trucy and she's roughly Pearls' age. Since her father is missing and her mother is dead, I took her in. She's a bit of a live wire but after covering so many cases with Maya, that doesn't come as much of a shock. Also, my old friend Larry--you might know him better as Laurice--stopped by and invited me to a poker party at his place. I entered with $20...and left with $200. The skills I honed in the courtroom apparently serve me well at the gaming table. He said I should try "going professional." Larry's not the brightest bulb on the tree, but if my perfect winning streak back there is any indicator, that idea might be worth looking into.

To answer your question about Edgeworth, he has a special reason to hate the Kurain Tradition. It's for that same reason that he fears earthquakes. When he was nine years old, an earthquake trapped him in an elevator and in that same elevator his father was murdered. Desperate for leads, the police used Misty Fey to talk to his dead father. The suspect Gregory Edgeworth named turned out to be innocent. Only 15 years later did Miles learn the truth, and what a hideous truth it was. The man who had taken him in turned out to be the murderer.

On a happier note, it would be my pleasure to grant every one of your three requests. I don't plan to die anytime soon, I enjoy being your eyes, and I have no doubt in my mind that married life with you is well worth the wait. After all, it's not every lifetime that a man finds a woman noble enough to suggest matrimony to him while he is yet in the grip of poverty. No man could ask for more and I would be a fool indeed to discard a woman of that caliber. As corny as it may sound, I have found my "soul mate" and this letter is addressed to her. For this reason, I am willing to wait however long I must. My resolve wouldn't waver if they kept you in prison until you were 82. Physical beauty may fade, but the soul and spirit are eternal and so is my fidelity.

Watching and Waiting,

Feenie

Part IV: Ace of Spades

Dearest Feenie,

I've long known how sweet, humble, and insightful you are but your last letter was nothing short of a revelation. I never knew you could be so charismatic, Feenie! What a pleasant surprise! There is far more to you than meets the eye. The more I learn about you, the more precious you become to me. And that is exactly why I must implore you to exercise greater caution about the company you keep.

I have no doubt that you're clever and prudent enough to make good money at poker, but that game attracts a lot of people who don't respect the rules. Beware of the Spades, Feenie, or they may pay you back in them! Recreational games with a small group of trustworthy friends I have no problem with, but please don't make that your trade. The further into that scene you venture, the more endangered your life becomes! I would be much less worried if you made your money by other means. In fact, disbarment doesn't necessarily disqualify you from working in law. You could almost certainly find work as a clerk or assistant and perhaps even get yourself reinstated eventually. Badge or no badge, you have a fabulous legal mind, Feenie. I know you can do it. ...I hope that didn't hurt too much, but I had to say something. The worst part's over, Feenie. Thanks for hearing me out.

Trucy sounds like a darling girl, if a bit of a handful. I look forward to meeting her. Perhaps you could bring her with you on your next visit? Hopefully, the sight of me won't scare her. *wink* Thank you for explaining Edgeworth to me. Now I feel like I understand him. No wonder he's so inhibited.

In response to your final paragraph, all I can say is "thank you." In the presence of such lavish praise and unearned devotion, I am rendered speechless. That's right, Feenie, you took my breath away. My eyes said a lot more when I first read those lines than my mouth could ever hope to. Tears of gratitude welled up in them and stained your letter. With a little luck, I'll be more composed when we next meet.

Forever in Your Debt,

Iris

Last edited by Gregory Wright on Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wow. Another great set of letters! :D Very well written. I'll give a more detailed review when my parents stop bothering me. Sorry x.x

You're too slow!

Yay! More! Cuteness!

However, I have one little thign to say... for some reason doesn't it seems like Phoenix and Iris are going a bit too fast with the whole marraige and "our daughter" thing? I guess I just don't see them talking about that sutff after only 2 months of seeing each other (presumably once a week or so), and I'm sure they didn't get to talk about that stuff..

Otherwise... GREAT!
Image Image

Allow me to give a possible answer to you, superangelo. This is just from my understanding, but if they realized that they truly love each other, especially because of their past experience, I see no reason why they shouldn't talk about marriage. At least, from Iris' side. I'd be pretty sure that Phoenix, IN PERSON, would be much more... nervous about that. But in a letter you can say your feelings without dissolving into embarrassment.

That's just from my understanding though. I could be wrong.

And, to make a more detailed review, I seriously love the letters. It's cute and it really fits their personalities. I don't see any persona flaws, at least, no major ones. (I'm no good at detecting minor ones XD as can be seen sometimes in my fanfiction)

Anyway, great work, hope to see more!

You raise a good question, superangelo128--one that deserves an answer. If they didn't have the back story that they do, I would agree with you. However, for reasons I will illustrate, I think each recognizes the other as the best prospect s/he will ever come across.

From Phoenix's angle:

In spite of all his outward composure, he strikes me as a very sensitive man and as such would need a wife with an exceptionally gentle touch. Virtually no one else in the PW universe that I can call to mind other than Misty is able to avoid yanking him around, verbally abusing him, or making him the butt of some cruel joke from time to time--not even Mia. Granted, Phoenix is fairly forgiving, but constant annoyances of this type at home I suspect would drive him to stockpile resentment and eventually explode, leading to ugly rows on a regular if not frequent basis. Also, as he places a particularly high premium on loyalty, the fact that Iris continued to carry a torch for him five years after convincing herself she'd never run into him again would likely appeal very strongly to him. Finally, as her weaknesses fall more on the passive end, when she does muster the strength to confront him, more often than not he'll want to listen to her. She would be uniquely free of the "Boy who Cried Wolf" syndrome.

From Iris's angle:

Growing up in Hazakura Temple, she has spent most of her life surrounded by other women on an otherwise uninhabited mountain and the full extent of her independent viability in the outside world is knowing how to use a snowmobile, cell phone, and computer. To the best of my knowledge, she never had a job outside the Temple. Before leaving the care of the temple, she was convicted of cooperating with a murderer and incarcerated. Thus Phoenix is perhaps the only man other than Larry Butz, Miles Edgeworth, Gumshoe, and her father who is even aware that she exists at age 25. Edgeworth is a bit too edgy not to scratch her up a bit emotionally, assuming he's still in the country and Larry is too much of a Don Juan. Gumshoe, of course, has focused his attentions on Maggey. Add to this Phoenix's still existent feelings for her as manifested by his attachment to her demon-warding hood, the extreme measures he took to defend her in court, and his inability to take his eyes off her during detention center visits, and we have a strong pull in his direction. By way of ulterior motive, we also have the strong sense of a debt unpaid that she feels toward him. What better way to assuage her guilt than to offer herself entirely to him?

Common ground:

Having courted each other for six months straight those years ago, each has a good basic understanding of the other to build on. Also, the very cursed nature of that early relationship and the subsequent emotional fallout leading to the courtroom confession years later could be said to be the ultimate test of the strength of their bond. If their mutual love can survive that, their compatibility as a couple is very high indeed. Practically speaking, as they both approach 30, they are doubtless aware that if they ever wish to have children of their own, time is running short. [This I say from personal experience. As a single man at age 24, I have to fight the urge to worry about this.] For this same reason, taking in an orphan would be one way to make sure they can still raise a child should circumstances deny them biological children and the parental instincts of both would be served if they raised the child together. Finally, Iris's prison sentence affords them an enforced opportunity to contemplate the merits of their relationship and discuss the nitty gritty of starting a life together at the same time, all the while leaving them the option of breaking off any "plans" before they're put into motion should he and she ultimately decide that they shouldn't marry after all.

That's my two cents. I hope I'm making sense here. :godot:

Last edited by Gregory Wright on Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

You're too slow!

Cool.

Thanks Xero_Wright and Gregory Wright for clearing things up!
Image Image

The girl who's kicking the coke machine

Hey Gregory Wright? Just wanted to say how great an analysis of that pairing that was. It's not too fairy tale, it's practical and realistic as well, and it makes me love this pairing all the more.

<3

And on top of that, I've been reading this and really enjoying it. Love the letter format and they're both very IC! <3 I'll be following it~

True love is forever.

Another excellent edition. I quite like your portrayals (although I actually agree they seem to be going a bit fast but that's just my interpretation. The fact is while they had a relationship for all that time, they still haven't spoken in five years and she did spend the whole time they dated lying to him. He certainly has forgiven her completely, but I think that they do need time for them to reconnect and it probably wouldn't happen quite so quickly. They aren't really the same people they were five years ago, Phoenix at the very least has grown and changed a great deal from what we see of young and older Phoenix, and just jumping back to where they were five years before seems unrealistic to me, but as I said that is just my reading of the situation and I'd rather not argue about it :edgy: ). I like the story. Keep up the good work!
Proud Supporter of Phoenix/Iris, Ron/Dessie, Klavier/Ema, and Apollo/Vera
Fanfics Updated-12/25

Location: Downtown Toronto, Ontario, Canada (yes i live in canada)

I like the new addition, take your time Gregory im waiting for the next one.
sigTolombo conMagic

...What more can I say that hasn't already been said? I thorougly enjoyed these latest additions and I can't wait for the next ones... I just wish I had more to contribute... ... ... ...Sadly, I can not think of anything to add.
100% pure Joy.

NOW TAKE IT TO THE LAUNCH PAD!

I love these, they are so cute and passionate...you've done some real masterpieces here, Gregory, you get a golden cookie!
Art by the talented Vickinator, thank you! ^_^

You just made my day! All feedback is deeply appreciated. By way of a progress report, I just passed the halfway mark on the next installment and work is progressing smoothly on the second half. I suspect the hard part is already over. If my estimation is correct, we should have more shortly.

My apologies for double posting, but Parts V and VI are ready! You know the drill. All feedback is welcome and desired.

Part V: Resurrection

Dear Iris,

"Life and death are in the power of the tongue." I never realized just how true that proverb is until we started corresponding. During this evil time in my life, your words really have been life to me, Iris. Even your reproach gave me sustenance. Truth be told, I had nearly given up on ever returning to law. The members of that committee spoke so much death over me when they called me a disgrace and stripped me of my badge that I began to think they were right, however unjust my punishment. But you, Iris, nursed me back to health. When I no longer had the strength to stand, you supported me. You are the strength in my legs, the fire in my eyes, my stamina. If up to this point you still owed me anything, this makes us even. We are equals, Iris, and we always have been.

You've resurrected my confidence and my ambition. I may have to let go of Wright & Co. Law Offices, but perhaps Grossberg will find a use for me. After all, he hired Mia and knows me pretty well by now. And, more to the point, I freed him from the clutches of a certain blackmailer a couple years ago. As of this writing, I plan to visit his office tomorrow armed with my resume and your encouragement. What's the harm? After all, even if he turns me away (which I find highly unlikely), I still have you to turn to and that's all I really need in order to face the world with a smile. I must thank you for being so kind as to spare my feelings to the extent that you did, but reading your warning about poker, I realized I had made a gross oversight. I need to set a good example for Trucy! How can I possibly expect her to avoid the company of the corrupt if I don't do the same? For her sake, I'm swearing off of poker entirely.

Speaking of Trucy, I hope she didn't annoy you too much. After all, it must've been hard to savor the moment with her treating me like a jungle gym. Her attention span is about the size of a gnat. She's a sweet girl and I love her dearly, but she can't sit still to save her life. Incidentally, after visiting you, we went to Kurain Village to check on Maya. It appears she is finally closing the gap in her training. Two more weeks, she says, and she'll be able to take the reins. She and Trucy got along famously, as might be expected. Pearls was more reticent, but I think I see the beginnings of a solid friendship between them. Actually, she reminded me a bit of His Honor around Trucy--pensive, always observing, showing every emotion known to man trying to figure her out. It was hilarious to watch.

Even aware as I am intellectually that we are equals, Iris, it is profoundly rewarding to be reminded that I'm giving as much to you as I am taking from you. I hate being a parasite. The more I take part in it, the more convinced I become that mutual surrender is the ideal. You have done a great deal toward teaching me that and for that I am eternally grateful. In that spirit, allow me to return the favor: if you ever need solace, just let me know and I will provide it in whatever way I can.

Rising from the Ashes,

Feenie

Part VI: Ascent

Dearest Feenie,

I figured that it must've hurt when they disbarred you like that, but I never knew you were so crushed until now. You've learned to deal with your pain heroically, but you're still the same Feenie I knew and loved so long ago. This knowledge makes your gentlemanly restraint all the more awe-inspiring. All those tears you must've shed alone! If I may repeat myself, my shoulder is always available to you, Feenie. You don't need to protect me from your grief. I'm always willing to share the load. "We are equals..." Words more soothing have never been spoken to me and I will take them to my grave. Guilt still assails me over that old lie, but armed with your words, I can finally begin to beat it back.

I could never thank you profusely enough for taking my counsel to heart the way you have. You've gone above and beyond what I asked. I can already tell you'll make a wonderful father. I only hope I can measure up as a mother. Sister Bikini has done a respectable job raising me considering the circumstances, but Morgan never had much use for me. She and my dad were always fighting and they were both so cold...I suspect I'll really need your help in this sector, especially early on. With a little luck, your expertise will rub off on me and offset my ignorance.

By the way, Trucy was too cute to be an annoyance. The patient smile you saw on my face was actually meant to restrain my mirth. It wouldn't do to risk laughing at the wrong moment and accidentally mock your affection. It was all I could do to keep from launching into a belly laugh at her antics. Honking your nose, ruffling your hair, climbing your back...she's a real performer, that one--a charmer too. Her smile would light a city block. It looks like she's a little too used to getting her way, but I'm confident you can break her of that. After all, you've brought many a hardened criminal to justice. How much harder could it be to discipline Trucy? You made my morning with that account of Pearl and Trucy's first meeting! Pearl acting like the judge...! Knowing what I do about all those people, I can easily see it all play out in my mind's eye. Like you said, it must've been hilarious to watch. Just remembering your account sets me to giggling!

If it's any comfort, Feenie, you never were a parasite in my estimation. Even before I fell for you, I could tell that you were a generous soul. That's part of what hooked me. I think you helped fill the void my parents left behind. Around you, I felt whole. You had that effect on me then and you do now. The more I interact with you, the more certain I become that no one else could minister to my needs as well as you do. It appears that we're both gaining more than we sacrifice. We're more than birds of a feather. We're each one wing, both belonging to the same bird. Individually, we scrape along the ground. Together, we can fly.

Soaring to New Heights,

Iris

Simply magnificent! Gregory Wright, your works are very awe-inspiring! I can't wait to see more. How long do you think the letters will go for, by the way?

I'm highly flattered by your praise, Xero. I repeat for the benefit of any new readers, all feedback is a welcome motivator. I can't say I know for certain how long I intend to continue this series, but something tells me it's far from over. Who knows? I might continue this for a stretch as long as 7 story years. I've already conceived of a way to possibly tie it in with Dahlia's Vengeance. Of course, that's a very ambitious target, but I'm beginning to think I have a ghost of a chance at pulling it off.

You're too slow!

Yay! More!

Good stuff =)
Image Image

NOW TAKE IT TO THE LAUNCH PAD!

Y'know, this could kinda tie to my fanfic! XD
Anyway, fantastic job, Gregory. You should consider becoming an author, you'd make millions! And get a platinum credit card...and a golden bath tub...:keiko:
Amazing job, anyway.
Art by the talented Vickinator, thank you! ^_^

WOW! These latest chapters are very very nice! I never knew they each had such a large vocabulary and such a poetic nature, but I guess it's real easy when you love someone enough, your greatest writing comes through in a letter to that person. And believe me, this is some of the greatest writing I've ever seen.
100% pure Joy.

What can I say? :udgy: Thanks, guys! Your reviews mean a lot to me so needless to say, you've put me in very high spirits. You bring up a good point about the high tone in this last installment, Slezak, so I shall attempt to answer it.

Both strike me as deep thinkers. They both have very long memories, draw a lot from the past, and listen more than they talk, which would suggest a strong tendency toward reflection and soul-searching.

Phoenix, I imagine, acquired considerable lingual skill while studying to be a lawyer if he didn't have the talent to start with. We know he's a pretty good speaker. He'd have to be to do well in court, especially against a master propagandist like Edgeworth. Since writing allows you to collect your thoughts, organize them, and edit to an extent impossible in speech, I think he could write very well.

Iris--while admittedly not a literature student officially--probably didn't have access to too many forms of entertainment living at Hazakura Temple, so I imagine she hit the library pretty often and spent a lot of her freetime reading. And there's nothing quite like extensive reading to broaden one's vocabulary and deepen literary skill.

As for the poetic feel, I think you're on the right track with the effect of love on the writing. Knowledge that the person on the other end will be receptive to your overtures does a lot to embolden and--at least in my experience--gives rise to a lyrical mood. The more positive reinforcement such outpourings receive, the more license the writer feels afforded to step it up. Since he and she both tend to hold back a bit from the rest of the world, I think they would find needed release in each other that would be unavailable elsewhere.

With that, I begin work on the next installment. Hopefully it will live up to the standard the others seem to have set. :phoenix:

Parts VII and VIII are ready! I look forward to reading your reviews, everyone! Without further ado...

Part VII: Restoration

Dear Iris,

Knowing what a potent healing effect your presence and words have on my mood in and of themselves, it should be relatively rare for me to feel a need to actually cry on your shoulder, but it greatly moves me to know that you will in fact be there to help pick up the pieces when I do break down. I can rest assured that even in my weakest moments you'll be ready and willing to treat my wounds, all the while neither recoiling nor reviling. That kind of reassurance is a prize of such value that should I be deprived of the clothes on my back and the roof over my head, I would still consider myself very rich indeed.

As for the zeal with which I followed your advice, it's only natural. Allow me to explain. First, your requests are voiced both mildly and forthrightly. This satisfies me that you seek neither to intimidate nor to manipulate. Second, you keep your demands reasonable. This does much to convince me that you respect my limits--both materially and psychologically. I've lost count of how many times Maya has impulsively insisted on the fantastical, the impractical, the dubious, and the impossible. Third, your demands are infrequent. This helps convince me that you have your priorities straight and are unlikely to blow things out of proportion or protest without just cause. Fourth, you reward met requests with true gratitude. This tells me you don't take my favors for granted. Put all these virtues together and it becomes a pleasure to comply--not a chore.

I wouldn't quite call my touch with kids "expertise" as I still have relatively little actual experience with them, but your compliment is very deeply appreciated all the same. I can't help but think, though, that you might be selling yourself just a bit short. Granted, you come from a broken home, but you are made of decidedly different stuff from either of your parents. They were both self-absorbed and incorrigible and you are neither of those things. Even though you may lack good examples to draw upon, something tells me that you would learn the ropes of parenting very quickly. After all, you've already demonstrated great insight into Trucy's character. Over the course of a few short hours, you identified a hidden problem that is only now becoming obvious. You're off to a good start. Given the opportunity to learn, I think you'd make a fine mother.

I began work at Grossberg Law Offices just this Monday as an assistant and I must say it's great fun. In this position I can still do most of what I did as a defense attorney, but the responsibility no longer falls on my shoulders. Now I'm free to concentrate and simply advise my "superior" on how to win. So far I've been advising rookies on more or less simple cases, and it's been very rewarding work. Here I can simultaneously embolden the defense and scare the heck out of the prosecution. You should've seen the look on ol' Payne's face when he saw me advising the defense! He'd thought he was finally rid of me, but oh no...! I owe all of this to you. Left to my own devices, I never would've thought to take advantage of that loophole. Iris, you're a genius!

Regarding your last paragraph, you did far more than comfort me. You shed a new light on our relationship, both past and present, and in so doing made me love you all the more. Also, what you said about us being wings from the same bird...I think it's true. I know I've been mostly scraping along up to this point. Life was very cruel to me until I met you. I was just lucky enough to where I would always survive to experience new pain, new setbacks, new disappointments. Quite frankly, our 6-month interlude of happiness--cursed though it was--was all that sustained me throughout my trial and Dahlia's testimony. Were it not for the indestructible bond you formed with me back then, I might well have given up on life right there. Even at the lowest point, you still did me more good than harm. Since then, it's only gotten better. Back then, you sustained me. Now, you restore me.

On the Mend,

Feenie

Part VIII: Fortification

Dearest Feenie,

It sends me into euphoria that you prize my loyalty and reassurance so highly, but in your own words, "it's only natural." Not only did you pull me out of the mire and lift me to my feet, but you swept me up into your arms, nestled me against your bosom, and have been carrying me ever since. Such undue kindness is extremely deserving of repayment. It's only fair that I should make myself perpetually available.

For reasons much like the ones you cite, I view you in much the same light. It is truly a pleasure to serve you--you give so much and ask for so little. If there is one fact about me that's painfully clear, it's this: I have very little will of my own and even less initiative. I am at my best--and my worst--following the lead of another. A better example and kinder leader I could never find on Earth if I spent the rest of my life looking.

By way of explanation, what I meant by "expertise" was "skill" more than "experience." You're a natural. You've demonstrated the exact touch with Trucy that my father lacked with me. This may sound silly, but I felt an irrational envy toward her, watching you two interact. You were simultaneously gentle enough that there was no misreading your intentions and firm enough that there was no escaping discipline. Many men--including, I suspect, her biological father--would've found it impossible to calmly say "no" to so charming a little girl as her. It is also to your credit that in addition to being able to say "no," you were wise and strong enough to make yourself invulnerable to a charge of hypocrisy. Many fail to recognize the folly in the words, "Do as I say, not as I do." I'll probably still be asking for your input a lot as I learn "the ropes," but if you say I have the talent, then I guess I do. Your character assessments are rarely wrong.

Grossberg hired you? That's great! I'm so proud of you, Feenie! It appears you've found your niche there too. In truth, I'm kind of glad you're advising the defense instead of leading it right now. You've had a particularly rough year and stress is generally bad for one's health. You deserve a rest. Also, this will be a good confidence booster in the event that you decide to go through with getting reinstated. Whether you decide to stay here or pursue your old job, I'm rooting for you either way. I trust your judgment.

As I stated earlier, I have very little will and initiative of my own. Dahlia was always the stronger one. Up until I met you, I was virtually at her beck and call. But as we became close, her power over me grew weak. She knew it too and it annoyed her to no end. Finally there came that cloudy April afternoon when we were cuddling in the park and you fell asleep with your head on my shoulder. To prevent you from falling over, I eased your head onto my legs and watched you sleep with peaceful abandon, as ready to weep as the sky above me. At that moment, you broke her hold on me entirely. There must've been a defiant glint in my eyes when I returned because the next thing I knew, Doug Swallow was dead and you were on trial for his murder. Oh, Dahlia rubbed that in my face too, reveling in my every wince, gasp, and sob. I cried myself hoarse several times that day, but you had fortified my will against her forevermore. You had freed me from the grip of a cruel tyrant. And now, once again thanks to you, I have the will and the drive to approach Sister Bikini and announce my intention to leave Hazakura Temple and start a new life with you. When that time comes, I would like you to accompany me.

Standing Strong,

Iris

Last edited by Gregory Wright on Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wow! :D That's awesome. Man, I bet Payne was surprised to see Phoenix again, as a Defense's Aide, no less! XD Your writing is a true work of art. And I see that all of this is beginning to connect to other fanfictions of the same matter. (What I mean is very slight similarities; Soramimi Cake had that FeenRis oneshot about Phoenix resting his head on Iris' legs and sleeping, and Iris reminiscing about the pain Dahlia caused her when she heard her call him 'Feenie' for the first time) Not that it's bad, in fact, I think it's interesting. Connecting things together with slight hints is something that makes some fanfics better.

Long story short, very VERY good work, and I can't wait to see more. In fact, I'm almost wanting to help you by writing a short oneshot on Phoenix appearing in court assisting a rookie against Payne. XD Oh, the hilarity~

You're too slow!

Cool! You're a really great writer!

Hope you write more soon,
Image Image

What can I say that hasn't aready been said by everyone else? I verily enjoy these works and your latest chapters have been nothing but brilliant. It's so satisfying to see such a talented writer doing a work on something I so highly support as the pairing of Phoenix and Iris. Does anyone here think their vocabulary and metaphors are unrealistic to their style and character? Anyone? Good. Me neither. The characterization feels natural, and I'd love to see a spinoff one-shot with Phoenix aiding a rookie against Payne... Ahh, good times, good times... KEEP IT UP, MAN! I LOVE IT!
100% pure Joy.

Original or not, every word of review is a gem as far as I'm concerned and fear not: that last post was a chestful of sapphires--my favorite stone. There's no such thing as a redundant comment. I shall set myself to preparing the next installment posthaste. Incidentally, I second the one-shot motion.

I like a man with a big ... vocabulary.

You do have a very good vocabulary but I am little concerned that this threatens to overshadow the characters' own personalities a little. They sound a tad Victorian when writing and while I'd be prepared to forgive that for Iris as she's been raised somewhat oddly, Phoenix I suspect would be a lot less formal in his approach and especially if he is really in love with her. Just my two cents.

You read a lot of Classic Lit, I suspect, because I have the same issues when writing and have to strive not to fall into the overly verbose when writing. You can kind of get away with it when writing Edgeworth or Von Karma but I would personally rein it in more with Phoenix as we have plenty of evidence in-game for his style of speech and choice of words.

You may also want to consider writing an AU set in the Victorian era and really let your love of the formal writing style go free. I know I had a lot of fun when I did that - it was a catharsis of sorts XD
"Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to do good". - Thomas Paine
Page 1 of 2 [ 74 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Present Evidence » Present Testimony