Board index » Present Evidence » Present Testimony

Page 1 of 1[ 8 posts ]

A Day in the Life of Dick Gumshoe (RATED G)Topic%20Title

Do you see the black one...or the white?

Well, here it is... my first attempt at a fanfiction ever! I'd like to give a big thanks to my good friend EdgeworthFanGirl for proofreading and helping me out with editing my draft. You've been a great help!

Anyways, like I said, this is my first attempt at a fanfic ever and my first one-shot at that, so I hope you enjoy! Thanks in advance for taking your time to read this! :D

A Day in the Life of Dick Gumshoe

It was the dawn of a new day; the bright orange glow from the rising sun crept over the once darkened streets of Los Angeles and shone brightly through the broken windows of a beat down apartment building, Sandy Beach Apts.

One of the tenants in one of the apartment rooms was not too pleased about the sight of the sun shining through his broken window and his name was none other than Dick Gumshoe.

“Uhh…. Just five more minutes….” moaned the detective, turning over and pulling the covers over his head before he was brutally awakened by a phone call.

Dick Gumshoe slowly rose from his dirty stained mattress lying on top of a heavily rusted iron bed frame. The sheets were covered in coffee stains, pieces of noodles, and had holes in many places.

Gumshoe walked across the screeching floorboards of his apartment building, past all the empty containers of ramen and broken glass that lay on the floor and picking up the phone.

“Hello?” answered the detective into the phone receiver, taking his pinky finger and digging out some gunk from his ear as he half-listened to the person on the other end, wishing that they would get to the point.

As he nodded sleepily, swaying a little from side to side, the person on the other end mentioned something that immediately caught his interest.

“A homicide you say? And Mr. Edgeworth will be working on it as well?! I’ll be on my way, pal!” Gumshoe said excitedly, hanging up the phone with a loud bang, now wide awake.

“Finally, I get to work on a case with Mr. Edgeworth again! I can’t wait to show him how much better I’ve gotten since last time!” Gumshoe cheered as he hurried to the bathroom which was filled with scum and all sorts of mold. It was obvious that Gumshoe was not very tidy or wealthy.

Gumshoe proceeded to get ready for a shower when he realized that he hadn’t picked out his clothes for the day. He playfully slapped his forehead and shook his head like a big buffoon as he went to the drawers and got out a fresh set of clothes…. actually they were the same old clothes he had on the night before.

Gumshoe looked wistfully at his clothes and sighed.

If only I had enough change for the washateria…. and some more money so I could have more than just one pair of clothes, Gumshoe thought as he walked back into the bathroom with his unwashed white undershirt, a pair of dark slacks, a white dress shirt that had unsightly stains in the armpit area, and a dirty pair of tighty whiteys. He did have to wear something, after all, and this was all he had.

Gumshoe started up the water in the tub as he stripped down, putting his hand under the bathtub faucet as he waited for the water to warm up. He waited and waited and would have waited for about ten minutes more if he didn’t hear a scream coming from his front door.

“The pilot light is out again!” yelled the landlord through the door with a screech that could rival Wendy Oldbag.

Gumshoe sighed at the bad news and turned on his shower. As he got in, he almost slipped and fell, but he caught himself.

“Heh, you almost had me that time,” he chuckled at the tub, little knowing that his shower head was loose until it flew out and struck him on the forehead, knocking him unconscious.

He recovered about ten minutes later, completely soaked, freezing, and his head pounding; he decided to go ahead and take a normal, cold bath as his shower head was obviously done for.

“I’ll need to remember to buy a new one…. if I ever get the money.” Gumshoe sighed, mentally adding it to his shopping list.

After his horribly cold bath, Gumshoe put on some deodorant and got dressed in his nasty old clothes. He then walked up to the mirror and took out his razor, looking at the white patch on his cheek in the mirror and carefully peeling it off.

“Hopefully, I won’t make any mistakes today!” Gumshoe smiled as he proceeded to shave the area that was just covered up by his patch; he didn’t realize, of course, that his razor was all old and dull so all it ended up doing was making a new, deeper gash in his cheek where his patch was.

“I hate shaving…” moaned Gumshoe as he took out a new white patch to cover up the wound, tossing the old one in the trash. He put away the razor since he figured he was through and walked back into the main room to grab his favorite green coat, stopping briefly to pick up a bottle of Febreeze and spraying himself with it, reasoning that no one likes a smelly detective and the least he could do was to cover it up.

He grabbed his keys off of a small table by the door and headed out of his room, jumping up and down as he headed down the hallway of the apartment building. He was excited that he was getting to work on a case with Edgeworth. Who wouldn’t be?

Gumshoe made it down to the parking lot, his cop car gleaming in the sun in the parking lot. This seemed to have been the only nice thing that Gumshoe seemed to have had since the car was paid for by the Police Department. He got into the car, inserted his key and turned it, only to see that the car wouldn’t start because the gas gauge was on E.

“I need to remember to buy more gas for my car too when I get the money,” Gumshoe muttered, remembering his empty wallet. “Well, another walk to the station won’t hurt, but I’m going to hear it from the chief again for sure. Oh well, getting to work with Mr. Edgeworth will definitely make my day better. Nothing beats working with your best friend!”

With that, Gumshoe crossed the street, only to almost get hit by every single car on the way because he forgot to wait until the crosswalk told him to go. In fact, he wasn’t at a crosswalk at all. He sure doesn’t seem to pay attention a lot.

Within two hours Gumshoe finally made it to the station, completely worn out and out of breath. As he walked inside, he made his way to the water cooler to grab a nice cold cup of water in order to quench his thirst when the chief came up from behind Gumshoe and hit him upside the head.

“Detective! What are you doing here? You’re supposed to be at Gourd Lake by now! Didn’t you get the message in your inbox?” roared the chief, his face beet red.

“I…I’m sorry sir! I just got here and…” Gumshoe stuttered.

“Get your sorry butt down to Gourd Lake! Now! We can’t start examining the crime until the head of the investigations department gets down to the lake!”

“Well, tell him to get down there,” Gumshoe sighed as he started to drink his cup of water, only to have it slapped out of his hands.

“You’re the head of the investigations department! Get down there now or expect another salary cut!” yelled the chief, who now had three different pulsating veins throbbing on his forehead.

“Y…Y…Yes sir!” replied Gumshoe as he saluted the chief and made his way on foot to Gourd Lake. He was still very thirsty and very tired.

Luckily, Gourd Lake was only ten minutes on foot so Gumshoe made it there quite quickly. All the other members of the investigations squad were quite relieved to see him there as they had a hard time holding a witness, which turned out to be a young girl.

Gumshoe quickly approached the cops.

“Where’s Mr. Edgeworth, you guys?” he asked, looking off into the distance wistfully.

“He’s not here yet, sir, but he did say that he’ll be down here in a few minutes. By the way, this girl is giving us a hard time.”

Gumshoe looked hard at the blonde hair, blue eyed girl who appeared to be around thirteen years old and was wearing a beautiful sunflower dress, her eyes filling with tears.

“Miss, what exactly happened here?” questioned the detective.

“I….I….I saw a man shoot that hot dog vendor! It was scary!” She started to cry, her tiny frame shaking.

Gumshoe looked at the gun she held in her hand and looked at her suspiciously.

“Why do you have a gun in your hand?”

“I got it because I thought I could show it to the police as evidence, I swear!”

Gumshoe looked at her even more suspiciously than before.

“Miss, your name if you will.”

The girl bit her bottom lip. “My name is Ima N. O’Cent,” she replied, sighing heavily, her eyes wide and frightened.

Gumshoe’s eyes widened, as if he had just seen a ghost. “Your name sounds too suspicious to me! Boys, lock her up!”

With that, the cops took the poor innocent girl and threw her into the back of the police car just as Miles Edgeworth stepped out of his red Mustang and witnessed the scene.

He stared and cringed as he watched the crying girl getting thrown into the back of the car, giving a cold glare to Gumshoe as he walked toward him.

Gumshoe smiled as he watched the overly dressed, cravat wearing prosecutor walking toward them. He gave out a friendly wave as a ‘Hiya, Pal!’ came out of his mouth. Edgeworth’s demeaning stare did not go away, but seemed to have intensified the closer he came to him.

“What is the meaning of throwing that child into the car like that?” huffed Edgeworth angrily.

“She’s guilty," Gumshoe replied happily. "We have evidence that she killed the victim here at the scene!”

“What is this evidence, then? I’d like to see it since you didn’t even let me have time to investigate myself and decide if she is guilty or not,” said Edgeworth, crossing his arms.

“Well uh….”Gumshoe began, scratching the back of his head. “She... uh…. was there at the scene of the crime, holding the murder weapon and her name is Ima N. O’Cent!!! I think that’s enough proof!”

Edgeworth let out a grumble. “You mock the justice system, detective. From what I understand, you haven’t even begun to search for clues and you arrested the witness on account of her name?! Come now! On all the cases I’ve ever worked on, anybody with that kind of name is never the culprit! People with names like DeKiller and Sahwit are the kind of people you need to look for!”

Gumshoe gulped. “I’ll search for clues once Mr. Wright gets here! He’s always such a big help!”

Edgeworth’s eye twitched at the mention of Mr. Wright's name.

“Who's side are you on and what makes you think that he’s going to be the defense attorney in this case?!?" he demanded crossly. "Besides, my investigative skills are superior to that rookie and, just for that crack, expect another cut from your salary. Now start searching!”

Edgeworth pointed towards the lake as Gumshoe moaned but turned and loped off.

Sure, he may not be the most competent person around, but he couldn’t help but wonder why Mr. Edgeworth got so angry. Was it because he mentioned Phoenix Wright? It couldn’t be; Phoenix and Mr. Edgeworth were the best of friends.

Gumshoe then remembered that he and Mr. Edgeworth were best friends, too, and Mr. Edgeworth yelled at him a lot. Maybe that was just how Mr. Edgeworth treated all his friends. Poor, disillusioned detective.

With evening fast approaching, Gumshoe began his search; it didn’t help that he would get constantly distracted. Staring out at the lake every five minutes or so to see if Gourdy would ever pop up, spending an hour talking to Maggey Byrde after happening to run into her at the park (it didn’t help that she claimed to have lost a pendant that Gumshoe couldn’t find).

In fact, he was searching for that pendant when Phoenix Wright and Maya Fey showed up at the scene, wanting to investigate as well. Gumshoe of course told them that they were free to do so just as long as they didn’t disturb his investigation… which really consisted of looking for Maggey’s lost pendant.

Of course, Phoenix and Maya didn’t know that and went to investigate on their own. Gumshoe figured that he was smart in having been able to trick them into doing the search for him but now he forgot what he was originally looking for in the first place. Something about clues to a murder he was sure, but he couldn’t remember any details.

As evening approached, Gumshoe decided to call it a night, especially when Edgeworth yelled out to the detective that he had found everything he needed for court the next day so there was no point in staying.

With that, Gumshoe invited himself into Edgeworth’s car as he stared at Gumshoe sitting comfortably in the passenger’s seat of his car.

“Detective….. do you mind?” Edgeworth questioned, his eyebrow raising slightly.

“I thought you could take me home," Gumshoe chuckled, somewhat embarrassed. "My car won’t start right now.”

Edgeworth sighed with feeling as he started the car. “You do know that I have to spray in here every time I take you home because you have such an unsightly odor.”

Gumshoe looked down at his clothes and back at Edgeworth. “I made sure to smell my best today, Mr. Edgeworth! I swear!”

Edgeworth put his foot on the gas and let out a heavy sigh. “I’ll take your word for it, detective, but what is wrong with your car? You’ve been claiming it won’t start for over six weeks now.”

Gumshoe looked down at his feet. “It’s not something that can easily be fixed, Mr. Edgeworth sir.” He didn’t want to admit to that his living conditions were poor and he couldn’t afford gas, but deep down, he was sure that Edgeworth already knew.

“We’re here,” Edgeworth muttered, pulling into the parking lot of the apartment building, relief plain on his face. “Oh, and before I forget-” he reached into his pocket and pulled out an envelope with Detective Gumshoe written on the front. “I believe your paycheck is in order since I picked it up from the head of police today.”

Gumshoe smiled as he opened up the paycheck and was happy to discover that he had received a whole twenty dollars. He was pretty excited since it was the most he had gotten in a while. Of course, he’d be down to around five once the government took everything out but still, he had money to buy enough instant ramen to last him the rest of the week.

“Thank you so much, Mr. Edgeworth! This means a lot to me!” Gumshoe smiled, stretching out his arms in order to embrace Edgeworth.

“Of course….. Detective, could you please get out now? I have somewhere to be shortly and you’re making my car smell bad.”

Gumshoe quickly stepped out of the car and watched Edgeworth drive off, staring in that direction for about five minutes, a wide, happy smile on his lips.

Another great day, indeed! I’m so lucky to be alive and know such great people! he thought to himself as he walked to his room and proceeded to brush his teeth.

After he was finished, he put on his pajamas and hopped into bed. He slid under the covers and lay on his back as he looked up at the ceiling, a wide smile on his face.

“Hey, if Phoenix Wright wins that case tomorrow, I may be able to convince him to treat me to another meal. Mr. Edgeworth might get mad, but I know he’ll be happy to eat out with us. I hope Phoenix wins!”

Gumshoe’s mouth started to drool with thoughts of food as he hugged his pillow and, in a few moments fell fast asleep, ready to let his dreams take him into realms unknown.

Well…. that would have happened except his bed collapsed from underneath him right then and there, startling him to no end. Once his heart had returned to his chest, he stared at the now broken rusty iron bed frame.

“I’ll have to remember to buy a new one once I get enough money for that, too.”

With that, he went to lie back on the mattress and fell into a deep sleep, a smile lighting up his face as he dreamed about all the wonderful times that he had that day.
On April 3, 2016, Court Records Forums experienced a miracle upon that day.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Man...that looks dull...this actually makes me worried for KH3 (since that team worked on the battle system)

I feel the same
Re: A Day in the Life of Dick Gumshoe (RATED G)Topic%20Title

Where's Pikachu? ...I mean Wally!

I really enjoyed that and it was well written...

Aww poor gumshoe, his bed collapses and his car won't start..and yet he still stays happy and gratefull...that must be what we love about him so much...

:eh?: :edgeworth: :phoenix: :maya:
Please click my signiture to read Mia Fey - The Story
A second chance - Gumshoe centric oneshot
Finding Mr.Wright - Phoenix/Maya
. x

Thank you so much for the comment!!! I didn't think I'd ever get any! lol.
I tried my best to keep him in character the best I could so I'm glad you really enjoyed it! ^^
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Man...that looks dull...this actually makes me worried for KH3 (since that team worked on the battle system)

I feel the same

hell, I don't know

D: Now I wanna buy Gumshoe clothes and food and gas and a bed and a shower head.

I really liked it, nevertheless. And for a first try, it's pretty good. But it also makes me sad. DARNIT EDGEWORTH STOP CUTTING HIS PAYCHECK D:<

Thank you so much! :D
Poor Gumshoe needs more love.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:

I feel the same

machinimator

Man, you do everything possible to make Gumshoe poor, don'tcha? I mean...as a writer. Not like...you're embezzling from him or something...never mind.

The writing style felt like it could use some work in a few areas; instead of saying something like "Gumshoe was happy to see Edgeworth again" try to do things more in-character; "Prosecutor Edgeworth was a good face to be seeing; while his relation to the famed "Demon Prosecutor" had gone on and off, Gumshoe always considered him a friend."

Overall, it wasn't too bad. I just tend to note room for improvement before complimenting...I guess that's my own room for improvement, huh? "Stop criticizing first."
I'm gone for so long, and the colors got all psychedelic! Woohoo!

Listening to K.K. Slider

I love the smell of Febreze! It must make Gumshoe smell really good too. So much stuff on the detective's to buy list too. I feel sorry for him.

I really enjoyed reading. It really felt like a typical day for Gumshoe.

@Katana: Lol! I really appreciate the constructive criticism! I definitely need some of that. If I don't, I'll never know what to improve on. If I ever write again, I'll be sure to try to take what you said to me to try to improve. Glad you liked it!

@Lilwasyu: Yes, Febreze does smell good, sadly it doesn't cover Gumshoe's scent that well! Thanks for the comment! :D
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:

I feel the same
Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Board index » Present Evidence » Present Testimony