Board index » Present Evidence » Sprites

Page 1 of 2[ 48 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sprite TheftTopic%20Title

nuuuuu, stoooooop

It's been brought to my attention that there's sprite theft going on in here, which is completely unacceptable (neither is art or fic theft, for that matter). So I'm here to remind everyone of the rules and let you know what I've just told the mods about how it's going to be handled from now on.

What is theft?

-Using someone else's sprite without credit or permission. If you see a sprite someone else did and say, "Hey, look at what _____ did!" and post it in your thread, that's not the same, but it's still rude - better to post a link to where it came from. This section is only for posting art YOU did. By all means praise your fellow artists but don't go reposting their sprites, and especially do not try to take credit for them. This includes using them in sprite comics and fan games.

-Using someone else's sprite as a base without their permission. Do not edit someone else's sprite and try to pass it off as your own unless they have given you very clear permission.

What should I do if I spot a theft?

-Report the thread with the report button. It'll be a lot easier for us mods if you include a note of "I know ____ actually made this sprite, it's in their thread," or even provide a link if you can. A mod will be by as soon as possible.

What will happen to me if I'm caught stealing?

-Your art will immediately be taken down and you'll be suspended for a week. Repeat offenders will be banned permanently.

I know some people may say that we're all just "stealing" the game sprites to make ours anyway, so it shouldn't make any difference. But the point is the credit. No one on this site is claiming they created the Phoenix Wright sprites - we all respect Capcom for the work they put into the game. But with fan sprites it's not always obvious where the work came from, which is why credit is so important. Please have respect for your fellow artists and their work.

Thanks for your support guys. If you have questions please feel free to ask them.
ImageImage
Re: Sprite TheftTopic%20Title

Property of Big Corporate Things Inc.

Sprite theft is SRS BSNS.

I have a question though, what happens if you're wrongly accused of stealing sprites?
If a sprite you have does look familiar to another one, and really looks as it used
the one as a base, for example... (Though I don't think it's likely to happen.)
Or in a worst case scenario, a spriter may steal a sprite, put it in his thread, claim
he made it and report the original creator. (But that would be unlikely as well.)

Anyways, one other thing, I feel like the 'victim', the original creator should have
at least a little say in what happens to the thief.

Otaku, #1 Machi fan, #2 Machi Fan

Greeny wrote:
I have a question though, what happens if you're wrongly accused of stealing sprites?
If a sprite you have does look familiar to another one, and really looks as it used
the one as a base, for example...

*coughKeithNJcough*
ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOGANT

I'd say

Dramatica, Keith and i already settled that, no need to bring it up again.
@Greeny: In most of those cases, There will always be pixel differences then with the original source. a.k.a. Sprite markings, invisible if you don't know where to look.

Property of Big Corporate Things Inc.

Yes, but my concern is if there will be sufficient investigation.

Ceres wrote:
Dramatica, Keith and i already settled that, no need to bring it up again.

I'm never understood. :edgeworth: Pointing out an example? Crime? No.

i think i sh** my pants

i have a question can you use a other pesons sprite a a base such as........jetis' appolo front sprite if you give credit?

Jeti's front facing Polly is official, actually.
http://www.court-records.net/screenshots4.htm

i think i sh** my pants

oh yea iknow that but hers is cleaner and i wondered if that counted she made it cleaner and made it talk so thats why i thought..........

I'd say

Normally you would need to ask permission first, But Jeti has been absent for quite some time now.
So, If you decide to use it, give credit and if later she objects to this, then you can take it down. (wich i doubt she'l do, as long as you give credit)

Personally, I haven't seen any sprite theft :yuusaku:

But these rules are important, even though I personally may not have seen it :oops:
^ Click for my graphics ^

nuuuuu, stoooooop

Greeny wrote:
the one as a base, for example... (Though I don't think it's likely to happen.)
Or in a worst case scenario, a spriter may steal a sprite, put it in his thread, claim
he made it and report the original creator. (But that would be unlikely as well.)

The second example is easy to spot just by looking at the posting date. But in general, I don't think it'll be too hard to spot ones that have been stolen vs ones that just happen to look similar. Most of us are pretty familiar with these sprites by now, and we'll be careful about making sure the evidence is solid before punishing anyone.

Of course, hopefully this warning post will keep people from feeling the need to steal at all. The eye of Gant is upon you....! :hair:
ImageImage

Obviously not the guy from Ceres' topic...

Do the impossible. See the invisible.

Croik wrote:

Of course, hopefully this warning post will keep people from feeling the need to steal at all. The eye of Gant is upon you....! :hair:

Ahh! Not "The Eye"! Not that I would steal in the first place, but that is an automatic sign NOT to steal sprites, if it means Gant will stare into your soul and mindrape you!

Also, anyone know if Android still frequents this site? I have a feeling he doesn't...but the reason I'm asking is because he has some awesome Gregory Edgeworth sprites that I really wanna use in my new video series, and would it be ok or not to put the animated sprites in my video and post it, as long as I give credit?

Same goes for Apeman's edits.
"Rule #1 of Lawyer Stuff: If it's in the Court Record, it's gonna show up in the trial somewhere"
Credit to Tajiri Ami for the Phoenix sprite and Cup_of_Law for the Payne sprite in my signature.

i feel pretty

Travolta3335 wrote:
Croik wrote:

Ahh! Not "The Eye"! Not that I would steal in the first place, but that is an automatic sign NOT to steal sprites, if it means Gant will stare into your soul and mindrape you!

Also, anyone know if Android still frequents this site? I have a feeling he doesn't...but the reason I'm asking is because he has some awesome Gregory Edgeworth sprites that I really wanna use in my new video series, and would it be ok or not to put the animated sprites in my video and post it, as long as I give credit?

Apeman was recently around, but it's been about a week now...

As for Android, i'm pretty sure he's gone.

Lind_L_Tailor wrote:
Travolta3335 wrote:
Croik wrote:

Apeman was recently around, but it's been about a week now...

As for Android, i'm pretty sure he's gone.

Damn, so what should I do about his sprites? I mean, I'll give him credit, but I'm unable to ask permission, so should I just forget about it and ask someone else to make some?
"Rule #1 of Lawyer Stuff: If it's in the Court Record, it's gonna show up in the trial somewhere"
Credit to Tajiri Ami for the Phoenix sprite and Cup_of_Law for the Payne sprite in my signature.

Mostly human

Yeah, don't use it without permission. You could have a look at their profiles to see if there's an MSN or other messanger address, or give them a pm on the slight chance they'll return once in a while, it can't hurt to try.

Nose wrote:
Yeah, don't use it without permission. You could have a look at their profiles to see if there's an MSN or other messanger address, or give them a pm on the slight chance they'll return once in a while, it can't hurt to try.

I dunno, I searched him in the members, but he didn't appear (I tried all other varients of his username).

Damn! Why are those sprites so good and I can't use them!

Mostly human

Well, I had another look. Apeman hasn't been on for about 2 weeks now, and has no contact details. No contact details for android either, other than her Deviantart page.

http://androidgirl.deviantart.com/

Make a account, and ask for permission on the page, they appear to still go there.

Nose wrote:
Well, I had another look. Apeman hasn't been on for about 2 weeks now, and has no contact details. No contact details for android either, other than her Deviantart page.

http://androidgirl.deviantart.com/

Make a account, and ask for permission on the page, they appear to still go there.

Thank you for the help Ear Foot Pelvis NOSE!

I got the right body part correct, right?

Heh heh, I'm joshing you, pal. But yes thanks for the hookup!

What do you see behind the mask?

I hope Apeman comes online again. His stuff needs to be animated. Travolta, just send him a PM and he'll hopefully answer to it once he comes online again.

Perrydotto wrote:
I hope Apeman comes online again. His stuff needs to be animated. Travolta, just send him a PM and he'll hopefully answer to it once he comes online again.

Yeah, I haven't forgotten. :redd:

I hope so, too.

I just blue myself

I just want to ask you one thing. If the spriter has been perma-banned (like Lind_L_Tailor and BlackJack), can we use their works/sprites/anything else they have?
I'm So Meta, Even This Acronym

But in all honesty, META humour sucks.

Dahlia x Kristoph supporter.

ReturnofthePhoenix wrote:
I just want to ask you one thing. If the spriter has been perma-banned (like Lind_L_Tailor and BlackJack), can we use their works/sprites/anything else they have?

it's still concidered their stuff so it would still be sprite theft.
Sig by me.

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOWAKANA.

Moving on up!

ReturnofthePhoenix wrote:

There contact information should be correct in their profiles. You could ask for their permission through that means (instant messaging or other sites they go to).
Thanks to Blinq for the awesome sig. Click the sig, see my stuff.
Edgeworth/Maya Community. A friends, as lovers, as part of OT3s. All Welcome.
"Yeah, I wouldn't go asking random guys if you can lick their penor." crouton December 2009

this may sound stupid and already asked but if someone hasn't logged on for a year, can you use there sprites if you give credit? :will:
Sig.

I hate Klaviema >_>

Well, it's better not to use them, or find another way of contacting them.
ImageImage
ImageImage

nuuuuu, stoooooop

DefenceLawer wrote:
this may sound stupid and already asked but if someone hasn't logged on for a year, can you use there sprites if you give credit? :will:

If you want to use someone else's sprites the only option is to ask them first. If you can't find any way to get in touch with the creator, you'll just have to go with something else.
ImageImage

FINE

so ... using normal characters sprites is not stealing, right?
i mean this ones http://www.court-records.net/sprites1.htm

But using other guy's customized sprites THAT'S stealing, right?

Pearl Fey: Ace Magican

Question: If I use a sprite pose from someone other and redesign it, is that Sprite stealing?

Mostly human

Auraion wrote:
so ... using normal characters sprites is not stealing, right?
i mean this ones http://www.court-records.net/sprites1.htm

But using other guy's customized sprites THAT'S stealing, right?

Correct.

Sprite-boy wrote:
Question: If I use a sprite pose from someone other and redesign it, is that Sprite stealing?

Well, your question isn't very specific. But if you mean using someone else's work as a base, it still counts as stealing. Ask permission and give credit if you do.

Pearl Fey: Ace Magican

Nose wrote:
Well, your question isn't very specific. But if you mean using someone else's work as a base, it still counts as stealing. Ask permission and give credit if you do.

yes I mean that. (and where the other smilies? i can't see the others.)

FINE

Sprite-boy wrote:

Look in this thread
Got a question. If i make a sprite for someone (sprite requests), and he/she uses it without giving credit. Is that stealing? :eh?:

Auraion wrote:
Sprite-boy wrote:

Look in this thread
Got a question. If i make a sprite for someone (sprite requests), and he/she uses it without giving credit. Is that stealing? :eh?:

I would consider to be stealing as all requests must have credit used if the requester posts the completed work.

Ptapcc

My name is Judge.

Auraion wrote:
Sprite-boy wrote:

Look in this thread

Only if you explicitly asked for credit really, it's a nice thought if someone credits you without asking, but really, doing a request for someone is like giving someone a gift that they were hinting for. You don't ask the recipient of the gift to go around saying that you got them that.

If it is a problem for you, I'd recommend approaching (PMing) them and asking politely if they'd give you credit on your work. The most likely situation is that it's a simple misunderstanding.

Also, @Ptapcc, there is no rule stating that. I don't know from whom or where you heard that.

Percei wrote:
lso, @Ptapcc, there is no rule stating that. I don't know from whom or where you heard that.

I've always considered it common courtesy to give credit to whoever did the request for you. It's my personal rule- though I thought everyone would follow something similar.

Ptapcc

FINE

Ummm i can't find the "facing front Apollo" on the sprites.
I found one on imageshak, but i don't know who made it.
If i take it, am i a Theft?
or, where i cand find the sprite?

The front Apollo can be found here: http://www.court-records.net/screenshots4.htm. Scroll down to the end of AJ Case 4 Screenshots.

FINE

Ptapcc wrote:
The front Apollo can be found here: http://www.court-records.net/screenshots4.htm. Scroll down to the end of AJ Case 4 Screenshots.

Thanks Super P! you saved me!
haha thank you very much. :phoenix:

I hate Klaviema >_>

That's not a sprite, it has anti alias around the outside and a lot of colours. It's easily edited into one though.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Page 1 of 2 [ 48 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Present Evidence » Sprites