Board index » Present Evidence » Sprites

Page 7 of 8[ 284 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Re: Need to know how to make sprites?Topic%20Title

I am Legen..wait for it...dary!

Cheers Sandwich! Thank you for the Tutorial.

OC Attorney At Law!

Marshmello wrote:
Whenever it was that I last looked at this thread, I asked how to make animated *.gif's in Photoshop, and I have finally found my answer. One cannot make animations in Photoshop itself, but packaged with Photoshop 5.5, 6, 7, CS, and CS2 is a program called Adobe ImageReady, which is slightly tedious but can be used to make animated *.gif's.

If anyone's interested I'd be happy to make up a tutorial.

Or you could just do the animation sprites in several layers and click 'save for web' in photoshop like I do....
It automatically animates the sprites IN THE ORDER FROM BOTTOM TO TOP. So keep that in mind.

What I am doing for my videos right now (well, video) is a somewhat complex process.
1: Download the free program called 'format factory' and install it.
2: Open up your animated GIF in photoshop (or your photoshop equivalent that has a 'save for web' feature)
3: Using the bucket tool, fill in any and all backgrounds with a color not on the sprite, bright green is the color I personally use. do this for all layers of the animation.
4: Once you're done, click save for web on your program and export it as a gif, make sure that it's animated and that you set the delay to 0.0 seconds.
5: Open the gif in Format Factory and click the video formats option; select your export format(Make sure it's a format compatible with your video editing software. I personally use WMV) file destination, and name.
6: Click the click to start button and let the format factory do it's job :)
7: Congratulations, you can now use your animated gif in video editing programs! Just be sure that when you use them that your program has a 'chroma key' effect. Use multi track editing for everything else that you need to put in your video. Good luck and happy hunting :phoenix:

?

Narutard 1.5 wrote:
Marshmello wrote:
One cannot make animations in Photoshop itself, but packaged with Photoshop 5.5, 6, 7, CS, and CS2 is a program called Adobe ImageReady, which is slightly tedious but can be used to make animated *.gif's.

Actually i use Imagesready to animate gifs, but i use a different method
There is an option called Import / Folder as layer.
That can be used when you save your layers at a .png format
*Example animating Apollo blinking
Inside a folder called @Apollo blink
are 3 .png files
1 Apollo / Eyes open
2 Apollo / Halo opened eyes
3 Apollo/ Closed eyes
then Using imagesready select that option and import the folder, i think its A-z 1-9 Order based.
then a screen should appear with your layers
and you are able to choose the duration of all of them so the animation use that time instead of in this case Blinking like there is no tomorrow.
Thats just my method that i would like to share if someone is interested:phoenix:

OC Attorney At Law!

Marshmello wrote:
How do you make animated *.gif's in Photoshop?

(I = Photoshop noob)

Dunno if this is answered yet....
You make each frame of the animation a layer (frame one = layer one, frame two = layer two and so on) and then click save for web...
So.... yeah....

You can save as a gif normally, but save for web lets you put a time delay inbetween frames..

Before you believe me, please feel your

To make sprite please start it with microsoft paint after that. If you want these png becoming gif you just combine many png as much as you want.

Is there a tutorial on downscaling? I've seen other users take an HD sprite and "downscale" it to the standard size (What even is the standard size, by the way?) (I use Photoshop CS5)

Aquabreeze wrote:
Is there a tutorial on downscaling? I've seen other users take an HD sprite and "downscale" it to the standard size (What even is the standard size, by the way?) (I use Photoshop CS5)

It's similar to the tutorial here.

Basically it involves resizing the sprite to fit a DS screen (256x192px), and compare the sprite with DS ones to check if it's the right size. If you want to reduce the palette, that's a different step in "Save for Web and Devices" that hasn't got a tutorial for it yet.. but there should be like a thing that says "Colors" with a number. The drop-down which should be to the left of it with "Adaptive" "Restrictive" changes the way Photoshop chooses the colours. The last time I checked, there wasn't a guide on the internet for how to manually select a palette, rather than automating it, so if you want that then play around a bit with the thing. You can select a colour with the eyedropper, and then a box should appear over that colour in the swatch area, and the lock icon will lock that colour there and forces the algorithm to use it. Double-clicking on one of the colours can bring up a dialog for shifting that colour, so all of the bits with the original colour become the new colour, and there's another button somewhere that can unshift. There's a little menu that can 'unshift all' or save and load palettes. It's also possible to save a palette via the same menu that controls image colours, where the "Grayscale" "RGB" options are there should be something called "Indexed color". AJ sprites have 32 colours, PW have 16.

Sorry I'm going off memory here so someone correct me if I'm wrong.
AAO general / C-R dead-ish / deviantart slowly filling

So, I've got a question on anti-aliasing. I'm working on a Fire Emblem/Ace Attorney crossover and making my own sprites from scratch, and I'm mostly happy with the results, but they look a little sharp for the Ace Attorney style since I was only using the binary pencil tool. It seems like there's some anti-aliasing done on the canon sprites, but I'm not sure what brush settings to use to get that effect and I just don't think I can pull it off manually. I'm using Paint Tool SAI if anybody's familiar with that, but I can switch to Photoshop if necessary. Thanks!

Art Person

I think it looks really good as it is! With Anti-aliasing, I do it manually as a final step so pixel by pixel, putting in the slight shading around the inside of the outline. You could use the brush tool at 1 px and sharpen the outlines with the pencil afterwards. (And clean the ousides of the outline). Whatever works best for you.

I should mention the official AA sprites were full sized drawings scaled down and with a decreased colour palette, so you can always draw them larger and scale it down?

SuperAj3 wrote:
I think it looks really good as it is! With Anti-aliasing, I do it manually as a final step so pixel by pixel, putting in the slight shading around the inside of the outline. You could use the brush tool at 1 px and sharpen the outlines with the pencil afterwards. (And clean the ousides of the outline). Whatever works best for you.

I should mention the official AA sprites were full sized drawings scaled down and with a decreased colour palette, so you can always draw them larger and scale it down?

I had done a bit of the manual anti-aliasing on the sprite I posted, but since I'm doing all these sprites on my own I wanted to see if there was a faster way I could do it that would keep to the style of the games.

Scaling-down might be viable. The first fake screen I made was with a scaled-down drawing, though I didn't impose the color limitations on it. Looks like somebody covered how to do that in an earlier post here, so I'll have to try playing around with it! Thanks again. :)

Art Person

It's definitely faster scaling them down, then just doing minor edits. That way the bulk of it is all done at once.

Athena

Thanks so much! :kristoph:

Winter Flag Trademark

Umm, did you had to necro this thread with a compliment rather than a question or a problem you're facing..?

This account is dead. Link to my DeviantART.

um...hi your honour?

Can you tell me the PROCESS of making a sprite.

This isn't necessarily helpful.

What do I DO when I make my sprites.

Step-by-step guide pls? :larry:

Art Person

HeroMan66475 wrote:

Spriting in the AA style can be done 2 ways. Either you draw an image digitally and then scale it down into a sprite, or if you don't have a graphics tablet or a good program, you can do it pixel by pixel.

Either method, start by drawing the outline. Either use an existing sprite or just a reference image and try to outline the pose you want. If you're pixel spriting, use the shift key so you can juat click point to point and the line will draw for you.

So I guess step by step:
If using a graphics tablet:
- base sketch
- outline
- base colours (put each colour on a serparate layer under the outline if you can)
- shading (use the base colour's layers or create new ones above them)
- resize to fit into a 256x192px box and index

The reason I mention layers is so it's easier to then change things up if you change your mind.

For pixel spriting:
- trace out an outline in black (within a 256x192px canvas as that's the size of a DS screen)
- base colouring
- shading
- change your outline from black to a darker version of the colours used around it. (ie. If your character has an orange jacket, use a darker red/orange for its outline)
- then you manually anti-alias.

Anti-aliasing is just putting a lighter shade of a colour inbetween the points of an outline to make it look more smooth.
For example: (Using the "Orange Jacket" I mentioned as an example)
On the left is before anti-aliasing. On the right is after.
It's just a smaller touch, but you use your existing palette and add a little smoothness between the lines to blend them in.

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

POHLKUNKA!

So that's what the "anti-alias" function does! I'm such an idiot!
POHLKUNKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

um...hi your honour?

SuperAj3 wrote:
HeroMan66475 wrote:

Spriting in the AA style can be done 2 ways. Either you draw an image digitally and then scale it down into a sprite, or if you don't have a graphics tablet or a good program, you can do it pixel by pixel.

Either method, start by drawing the outline. Either use an existing sprite or just a reference image and try to outline the pose you want. If you're pixel spriting, use the shift key so you can juat click point to point and the line will draw for you.

So I guess step by step:
If using a graphics tablet:
- base sketch
- outline
- base colours (put each colour on a serparate layer under the outline if you can)
- shading (use the base colour's layers or create new ones above them)
- resize to fit into a 256x192px box and index

The reason I mention layers is so it's easier to then change things up if you change your mind.

For pixel spriting:
- trace out an outline in black (within a 256x192px canvas as that's the size of a DS screen)
- base colouring
- shading
- change your outline from black to a darker version of the colours used around it. (ie. If your character has an orange jacket, use a darker red/orange for its outline)
- then you manually anti-alias.

Anti-aliasing is just putting a lighter shade of a colour inbetween the points of an outline to make it look more smooth.
For example: (Using the "Orange Jacket" I mentioned as an example)
On the left is before anti-aliasing. On the right is after.
It's just a smaller touch, but you use your existing palette and add a little smoothness between the lines to blend them in.

Actually your guide is not half bad.....for the pixel spriting thing, the obly thing I have available is paint.

So for base colouring....I just colour in my sprite normally before going to the next step which is shading?
I hope I'm saying it right. Well let me go and try to do shit.

Dracarys!

HeroMan66475 wrote:
Actually your guide is not half bad.....for the pixel spriting thing, the obly thing I have available is paint.

I'd recommend not using Paint, since it doesn't have a transparency function (meaning your backgrounds will all show up white, rather than see through). There are lots of free art programs that you can download which let you do this. Lots of people recommend Gimp.

Art Person

HeroMan66475 wrote:

So for base colouring....I just colour in my sprite normally before going to the next step which is shading?

Thank you :will:
And with the colouring, use the bucket tool to just fill in your outline (Paint doesn't have layers), and then draw the shading on top of it. Give it a try first and see how it comes out. I think Paint can work if you have the patience, but you might not be able to trace a sprite in it (because lack of layers).
I've heard GIMP is a good program? Haven't used it myself but it's free.

um...hi your honour?

SuperAj3 wrote:
HeroMan66475 wrote:

Thank you :will:
And with the colouring, use the bucket tool to just fill in your outline (Paint doesn't have layers), and then draw the shading on top of it. Give it a try first and see how it comes out. I think Paint can work if you have the patience, but you might not be able to trace a sprite in it (because lack of layers).
I've heard GIMP is a good program? Haven't used it myself but it's free.

Paint is all I have, can't use anything else....buuuuuuuuuut...........I'll give your colouring advice while I can, when you say use the paint bucket tool for the outline....you do mean all the colouring within the lines, right?

Art Person

Yes. To colour inside the lines. Use the pencil tool to draw the lines.

um...hi your honour?

SuperAj3 wrote:
Yes. To colour inside the lines. Use the pencil tool to draw the lines.

Got it! Just confirming and stuff.

Ropfa wrote:
HeroMan66475 wrote:

I'd recommend not using Paint, since it doesn't have a transparency function (meaning your backgrounds will all show up white, rather than see through). There are lots of free art programs that you can download which let you do this. Lots of people recommend Gimp.

Indeed, I'm having that exact problem with MS Paint. I want to create a trial where both Maya and Kay are forced to substitute for Phoenix and Edgeworth as defense attorney and prosecutor. Unfortunately, I cannot make Kay's sprites transparent in MS Paint. How did you make your sprites transparent, Ropfa?

Art Person

Hi! If you want a transparent background you'll need a different program to Paint.
If you want to make animations, I recommend a free program called "Beneton Movie GIF". It has a transparency feature that removes the colour from the bottom left pixel of all your frames of the animation, and so it does the transparency for you.

What program do you use, SuperAj3? Is it also Gimp?

Also, how do you get your sprites to line up perfectly spaced vertically?

Art Person

I use photoshop, personally. So my method of lining this up would be different.
For you I would say make the first frame, then when you edit the 2nd, line it up in your editing software over the 1st frame, then control Z to undo and see if there was any weird movement. If there was Ctrl z or Y to redo, move it a little then try again.

Thanks. I'll let you know if I have any success.

I just discovered this site yesterday. The Ace Attorney world is even bigger than I could have imagined.

Everyone, Gimp is a more amazing editor than I could have imagined. I can now make a sprite sheet transparent with the greatest of ease. Next I'll figure out how to line up all the sprites one on top of the other.

If Ropfa is among the PhD elites of making fan cases, then I am a preschooler who finally learned how to put on his jacket by himself.

I'm still working on Kay Faraday's sprite sheet. I'm facing a problem where whenever she blinks, she bounces up and down. Has anyone else run into a problem with their sprite staying in one place?

Art Person

You may have to reposition that frame to stabilise it. If it's only one part of the animation that's jumping, you either cut and pasted a part into a slightly different spot, or drew it at a different size.

I can't say for sure as I can't see the sprite, but try to refine it. Take the part that's off, cut it out and try to place it over a copy of a previous frame. That way all other parts stay the same, and only the part you want to see moving is moving.

I originally spaced all the frames vertically equal distance apart. I'll try moving them closer to each other. Maybe that will work.

While I've been doing that, I had a crazy idea. Do you know if anyone has ever made a Phoenix Wright / Danganronpa crossover game?

Art Person

NetNeutrality wrote:
I originally spaced all the frames vertically equal distance apart. I'll try moving them closer to each other. Maybe that will work.

While I've been doing that, I had a crazy idea. Do you know if anyone has ever made a Phoenix Wright / Danganronpa crossover game?

Best of luck with your animations! (if you're still having problems, feel free to share what you've made so far and I'll try to help point out anything I see.)

Also I've seen 1 or 2 people mention a crossover fangame, but haven't seen any.

Thanks. And you're really awesome for replying so quickly.

I tried putting Kay's sprites in a row instead of a column, but now the problem is that her frames shift back and forth. I would love to share my sprite sheet with you. Do I need to upload it to mediafire, or is there a simpler way?

For someone as inexperienced as I am with art and animation, I am probably getting way ahead of myself, but I'm thinking about making a game where I take the plot of the first Danganronpa game and make the class trials into Ace Attorney trials. I think I could manage it because all the Super Duper High School talents have sprites, and in Ace Attorney, all I'd have to animate are their eyes and mouths.

Art Person

I normally upload my sprites to http://imgur.com/
it's easy to use, then just copy the link post it inside the [img ][/img] brackets (without the space) to make it appear on the forum

I'm going to learn so much if I keep talking with you folks.

For Kay's sprite sheet, I put in the least amount of effort as possible. I just took her sprites from Ace Attorney Investigations and added the top of her hair that's always cropped out.

Art Person

(first off, very clean editing of the top of her hair!)
And ahh I think I see the issue. Your sprites are taller than the size a normal DS sprite exceeds. They should be a max of 192 pixels tall, and 256 wide. If you keep things within this box, it should make it easier for you to animate it.

Best way to do that is to make your opening image that size. Then paste your first sprite onto the canvas. Then you can just add the other frames on top to help you work out their position.

I edited a sheet for you to test animating. See if this may help you out. I spaced them all out and put them all into that DS-screen sized box.
Spoiler: large image

Thanks, SuperAj3. That means a lot coming from you.

I should have taken the 256 x 192 rule more seriously. I remember reading about it in Ropfa's tutorial.

Thanks for the edited sheet! I'll let you know later today how it goes.

No good. I even tried your frames, and Kay still levitates whenever she blinks.

I wonder if the problem is in my text files. Here's the script for the setting:
Spoiler:
Quote:
clearcourt

set prosecutor_nt Kay
set judge_nt Judge
set _prosecutor kay
set _judge judge

startcourt

judge
"Is the prosecution ready?"

scrollprosecutor
"..."

Here's the text file for when Kay blinks:

Spoiler:
Quote:
horizontal 1
vertical 5
length 5
loops 1

And here are my new frames for Kay, 256 x 962.

Spoiler:

I wonder if moving Kay's blinking frames a few pixels south in their 256 x 192 spaces would help.

Art Person

I put 5 pixels between each frame (thinking maybe you were using an animation software).
But if it's PYWright, just place each frame next to eachother with NO spaces.

Ah. That was the answer. Finally, Kay is perfectly still.

Thank you SuperAj3. You are very good indeed, to be able to recognize that I'm using PyWright just from the text files, and to know how frames are meant to be positioned for it.
Page 7 of 8 [ 284 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Board index » Present Evidence » Sprites