Board index » Present Evidence » Fanart

Page 1 of 1[ 8 posts ]

OC Contest Entry: Carlene RodgersTopic%20Title

star encounter

Entrant's Name: Kona [ konapop ]
Entrant's Website: [ My personal tumblr. ]
Character's Name: Carlene Rodgers. [ Ancestor of Ada Lovell. ]

Brief Physical Description: Milky brown hair, hazel brown eyes. Hair the length of her back, straight, some pieces tied back into a small bun by a special hair accessory. Light, peachy skin tone. Tall, slim but not slender; holding some weight due to her sweets addiction. Wears a muted, steampunk-esque outfit with a belted corset and high-low skirt with a white under-dress. Two-inch brown knee-high boots with matching belted gloves. Small bags are attached to her corset belt in order to carry small items or ingredients. Additionally, she wears a leather choker with white frills coming from both ends.

Brief Personality Description: Carlene carries a "modern" personality for her time period. She's independent, sassy but sweet, and very much a truthful type. She refuses to lie unless there is a dire reason as to do so. Sly but tactless, Carlene tends to be snarky towards authority figures, especially those older. She is, however, highly considerate toward children and those who come from a similar back story to her. Despite having a charming and likable personality, there are times where she can be inconsiderate -- such as interrupting others in conversation, or interrupting events that she isn't involved in. She takes on a sort of aggressively- kind type of person. As stubborn as she is, she doesn't often take 'no' for an answer unless absolutely forced, especially when she cares to great lengths.

Connection to canon characters (if applicable): Carlene has a minor relation to Sherlock Holmes himself -- he defended her when she was accused of a crime back when she was a child. She's also had a minor run in with Barok van Zieks in the courtroom, of whom essentially dismissed her of her charges due to her age and recklessness. Nowadays, she works in a bakery nearby 221B Baker Street, and occasionally, she leaves baked goods at the door of Sherlock Holmes and Iris Watson's home. It's unknown to her whether they know she's the one leaving them food.

Brief Background: Born to a financially unsupported family in London, England, Carlene was the first of her family to be put up for "adoption". Despite being as poor as they were, they had to raise the young girl along with her older sibling. At seven years old, it was determined by the family that they could no longer support their children, and barely themselves. One day, the children are set free into the city of London for errands. As most small children do, Carlene wandered away from her sibling, opting to look at toy stores or candy stores. She had completely lost sight of her relative. The police had found her wandering, and led her back to her home following her description and family name. However, upon arrival, the policeman and little Carlene stumble upon the gruesome sight of three bloodied corpses laying on the wooden floor. Immediatley, the youngest is ushered out of the room, although the trauma had already been absorbed. An investigation was opened in order to discover the reason for these homicides. Later, the case was ruled as a double-homicide/ suicide. The weight of poverty had been far too much on the family, and it was mutually decided between the husband and wife to end it. The idea was to also murder the children upon their arrival home, although due to Carlene's wandering, she had made it too late, luckily enough. Due to the incident, and due to there being seemingly no one to release her to, Carlene was left on her own (especially as orphanages had yet to be developed at this point in time). She survived on begging and doing small favors for minimal payment. Soon, however, she learned of a different source of income: theft and pickpocketing. Such a criminal act became habit of the ragamuffin for a few years to come. At fourteen, the little thief had decided to pickpocket the wrong man, and in turn, was caught. Even as young as she was, she was brought to the courts to be tried for her crimes. The prosecution, one Barok van Zieks, had, strangely, requested leniency. Now truly scared for her life and her own well-being, Carlene had wandered for hours, thinking of how to reform her lifestyle. Upon her wandering, she stumbled upon a sight -- something she wished she never had seen: the appearance of a battered and bloodied corpse on the corner in the alleyway. Oddly enough, she blacked out almost immediately, likely due to shock.With a small check into her background information, the police had quickly concluded that she was lying. Just as it seemed she was to be taken into custody, a mysterious figure appeared, claiming himself as the famous detective Sherlock Holmes. Using his own weapons of deduction, and a simple, quick investigation, he cleared the young girl's name easily. While she was still detained as a witness, she was clean of any wrongdoing in the incident. Since then, she'd run into Sherlock on multiple occasions, watching as he solved case after case. The more she learned about the detective, the more she was inspired to better herself, as cliche as it might have been to her at the time. It took a year or two, but soon, Carlene found employment among a family-owned bakery in the area. She learns the basics of baking, of which she comes to treasure and adore. However, she develops another occupation on the side... something of a "private investigator". Taking odd jobs such as finding a lost pet or item, she develops her skills in deduction and intuition, similar to Sherlock. Not many people take her seriously, of course, but she hopes to one day be able to be on a similar level as Sherlock, the one who inspired her to be better.

Link to entry:
Piece 1 (colored full-body image)
Piece 2 (sketches of expressions)

[ As an additional note, I've honestly been waiting to enter this contest for a long time so I'm super excited and I hope you like my baby-- ]

Re: OC Contest Entry: Carlene RodgersTopic%20Title

Art Person

Hi! I think your entry's amazing!
I think you're meant to post in the submissions topic ( Here ), so maybe copy and paste your post there, make sure you don't accidentally not get entered!

star encounter

SuperAj3 wrote:
Hi! I think your entry's amazing!
I think you're meant to post in the submissions topic ( Here ), so maybe copy and paste your post there, make sure you don't accidentally not get entered!

Hi yes thank you I realized my mistake like right after I posted this but I was so embarrassed and I didn't know how to delete things and then I realized you can't delete them so yeah
thank you friend
not only for this but for all the comments you've made on my sprites and whatnot ;v;

She's got quite the extensive backstory! It's clear that you've put a lot of thought into her as a character, and she's really cute as well! Good luck in the contest!

♥ #LocalizeDGS or bust ♥

Man, Carlene seems so wonderful! I especially love her design, it's so cohesive and pleasing to the eye. I find it really challenging to put together period wardrobes (What kind of shirt ruffles do I give this guy?) but Carlene has such a look to her that's stylish, true to the century, and cute all on top of that!

The poor girl's been through so much, huh? That's a lot of passion she must have to pursue a career in helping others, especially one such as private investigation which may or may not yield stumbling upon incidents similar to the tragedy that struck her family. She's certainly got guts.

She's a great character, you should totally be so proud! Good luck in the contest! *confetti*
I'm Yumihiko Ichiyanagi and you're watching Disney Channel.

star encounter

Violet Valentine wrote:
Man, Carlene seems so wonderful! I especially love her design, it's so cohesive and pleasing to the eye. I find it really challenging to put together period wardrobes (What kind of shirt ruffles do I give this guy?) but Carlene has such a look to her that's stylish, true to the century, and cute all on top of that!

The poor girl's been through so much, huh? That's a lot of passion she must have to pursue a career in helping others, especially one such as private investigation which may or may not yield stumbling upon incidents similar to the tragedy that struck her family. She's certainly got guts.

She's a great character, you should totally be so proud! Good luck in the contest! *confetti*

I
cries oh my gosh thank you so much
I'm really surprised you took the time to comment on my character even though yours is just???? freaking aMAZING??? like I was confident before but since your entry I'm just-- I'll be lucky to get placed!!
bless you you're so nice

♥ #LocalizeDGS or bust ♥

konapop wrote:
I
cries oh my gosh thank you so much
I'm really surprised you took the time to comment on my character even though yours is just???? freaking aMAZING??? like I was confident before but since your entry I'm just-- I'll be lucky to get placed!!
bless you you're so nice

Oh, gosh, you're too sweet, thank you! No way, Carlene is a wonderful character and she and all the entrants so far are totally amazing. With the kind of turnout I can imagine happening I just know it'll be pretty tough for the judges to decide on the winners!

Speaking of turnouts, I can't help but wonder if there will be an extension on the submission deadline... things seem pretty quiet over in the sprite/fanfic/model departments! :udgey:
I'm Yumihiko Ichiyanagi and you're watching Disney Channel.

Violet Valentine wrote:
Oh, gosh, you're too sweet, thank you! No way, Carlene is a wonderful character and she and all the entrants so far are totally amazing. With the kind of turnout I can imagine happening I just know it'll be pretty tough for the judges to decide on the winners!

Speaking of turnouts, I can't help but wonder if there will be an extension on the submission deadline... things seem pretty quiet over in the sprite/fanfic/model departments! :udgey:

Yeah, I'm also wondering that. Oh well...guess that means less competition but if people don't show up, what's gonna happen to the extra prizes I wonder? Hmm......maybe it's the DGS theme or something.

Oh well. At least this small group of applicants are cool!
Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Board index » Present Evidence » Fanart