Board index » Present Evidence » Fanart

Page 1 of 1[ 9 posts ]

OC Contest Entry: Victoria N. BeldukeTopic%20Title

Court Illustrator

Hello! I've only signed up here recently, but I lurk around here sometimes. I've decided to enter the OC contest along with friends for fun. Anyway, here's my entry!

Entrant's Name: Tryphena
Entrant's Website: tumblr
Character's Name: Victoria N. Belduke
Brief Physical Description:
Victoria is of average height with a slender frame. Her lips are painted in her ‘signature red,’ and her eyelids are accentuated with a shade similar to her lavender hair. Her hair is styled in soft curls, gathered up at one side.

It’s worth mentioning that the ‘signature red’ also grew to be her favourite shade: a fact evident by its prominence in most of her expensive dresses, which are commonly tailored with black lace.

Brief Personality Description:
Victoria exudes an image of confidence and refined elegance, one fit for a proper high-class lady such as herself, and wears a pleasant smile in the company of others. An intelligent and calculating woman: she is quick to assess a situation and act accordingly in response to gain the best result out of it - a skill that comes in handy in the entertainment industry.

The prima donna is very passionate about the performing arts and has the habit of singing or reciting lines while speaking to someone. She’s able to breathe life into her roles, even when poorly written or dull, which made her a favourite for playwrights. Her passion and well-honed skills shine through every performance. Unlike most other prime donne, she keeps herself humble, careful not to feed the ‘inflated ego’ that's notorious with the occupation. Although she's remained humble in an effort to not be deemed difficult to work with, she’s still thought as difficult and demanding to work with on set given her strict and perfectionist nature, traits that arise due to the fact that she wants only the best performances for the audience.

Working in her field made her develop thick skin; she is able to gracefully handle herself under pressure and dance around questions she doesn't want to answer, while wielding her wit and talents as weapons to strike down her critics and antagonists in the same breath. Despite this, she is not an entirely vain or selfish person and does not use others as stepping stones for her own gain.

However, when pressed into a corner, her true nature shows through the cracks of her meticulously made persona. Behind the façade of confidence, Victoria can get rather anxious and conscious of her public image (which she attempts to keep relatively spotless and respectable due to how famous she’s become). She is very aware of the negative connotations surrounding her chosen profession and frets over how it could affect not only her, but also her husband and friends.

Connection to canon characters (if applicable):
An ancestor of Newton Belduke and Eve Belduke. She is a friend of Sherlock Holmes and Iris Watson (prior to the arrival of Ryuunosuke and Susato to London), sometimes acting as an informant-of-sorts for the two on investigations. She has the occasional tea party with the investigative duo, where she gives them information she’s come across due to her hearing things from work, events, and her vast sphere of influence as a famous celebrity. Ryuunosuke Naruhodo’s client.

Brief Background:
Victoria Belduke is an opera singer (the prima donna of her ensemble based in London) married to Aloysius Belduke, the owner of a thriving bell foundry, and is currently suspected of murdering her colleague Stella Fallon during a rehearsal intermission. She had been on break from work but recently returned to the stage. With her return, she had invited her friends Iris and Sherlock (as well as Ryuunosuke and Susato) to watch the rehearsal and have dinner, only to be apprehended for murder mid-intermission.

During the intermission, Victoria returned to her dressing room where she found her colleague’s body, stabbed in the back with the decorative dagger that she was going to use as a prop in the next scene. She called for help, which alerts Sherlock and co. to come rushing to the room, but she’s taken away moments after as the authorities believe that there was enough motive and evidence to single her out as the suspect of the crime.

On Victoria, Stella, and the possible motive: Stella was a fresh up-and-coming talent, who performed alongside Victoria before her short break. While she was away, Stella had filled in Victoria’s shoes and had done it well. With the star rising up to fame, it’s believed that Victoria harboured resentment and jealousy towards the girl, and wished to get rid of Stella before her spotlight and position as prima donna was taken from her.

With the murder weapon, motive, and the general stigma of female performers* stacked against her, the situation was looking bleak for Victoria. Even so, she had given her best dazzling smile and a curtsy to her friends, thanking them for watching the rehearsal, as well as requesting Ryuunosuke to defend her before she was towed away.
Sherlock and Iris are confident they can solve this mystery and save their friend, but Ryuunosuke finds himself having doubts. Was the performer truthfully innocent, or was it just an act?

*During the Victorian era, female performers usually were seen in a derogatory light and often associated with prostitution. Though it had less impact both in theatre and outside of the U.S., the association was still preserved even when the evidence was insufficient.

Link to entry:
Spoiler: Large image; full body 1 and 2

Spoiler: Long image; 'screenshot' and expressions

Trivia:

- As she’s an ancestor of the Beldukes during Victorian times, her name is simply ‘Victorian Belduke’.

- The shape/figure of her dresses are based off of bells.

- Prone to over-thinking until thoroughly stressed out, which makes her moody and even more difficult during work.

- Her husband’s name is a play on the last name Belduke, with him being the owner of a bell foundry. Victorian bells were made with copper, an alloy. Aloysius Belduke - > Alloy Bell Duke. Note: I realised after I named him that 'Aloysius' is Barnham’s German name, but... The pun was too good to pass.

- Stella means ‘Star’, and Fallon is a variation of the last name ‘Fallen’--‘fallen star’.

Spoiler: Possible Barok spoilers?
- She shows great apprehension at Barok van Zieks prosecuting her case, knowing full well of all the rumours surrounding him, as well as his title of “Death God of the Old Bailey”. Thus, she responds rather coldly to him but shows no signs of distress whenever he tries to make jabs at her expense, simply preferring to give him a smile and a counter jab. That is, until later on in the trial when Ryuunosuke presses her into a corner - she then cracks and is visibly upset and afraid, mostly out of fear for what would happen to her and her family after the case.

- A fan of Iris’ books, she sought after Iris and Sherlock to express her love and enthusiasm for their works. They became friends shortly after, with Victoria taking delight at Sherlock’s antics and seeing Iris as a sort of daughter/little sister figure.

- Later on in the case, when the point of ‘why would she commit a murder when she’s invited Sherlock and Iris to the watch the rehearsal?’ is brought up by the defence, it’s argued that since she’s a fan of the Holmes stories she had taken it to the next step so that she’d be directly involved in one.

- The ideal voice I have for her is Susan Egan (Megara from Hercules / Rose Quartz from SU), though she's not a soprano, please just imagine she is. (It's more of how I imagine her speaking voice to sound like)

Spoiler: concept details, spoilers for PL vs AA
- The idea of Victoria being in the performing arts was inspired by Eve Belduke's dramatic flair and ability to act out her various personas as the High Inquisitor and the Great Witch. Though there's quite a gap in generations between the two characters, I wanted to incorporate a bit of acting blood into the Belduke line.

- Like Eve, she has an image of confidence to the public eye, but underneath that she's actually a bit reserved. Victoria is designed to be more confident than her descendant, though.

- The aspect of her gathering information because of her profession was inspired by Irene Adler (both in book canon and from other incarnations of her), but she is not meant to be an incarnation/rendition of the character. In her case, she commonly overhears others in power slip up in events, and she wheedles out information carefully. There are times that there would be someone who'd try to impress her with secrets and the like, though she deflects all advances on her as she's faithful to her husband. She collects information as an insurance for herself; the more she knows about people in power, the less chance someone would try to blackmail her by threatening to stain her image, as she can return the favour.

- Originally, I wanted her to be a prosecutor (before most of her info was written), but that seemed a stretch for her when I was reading up on Victorian times, so I tried to write her as a witness to a murder of someone in her ensemble, but then I wanted her to be a little more involved. Since the negative view on her profession was there, I decided to make her a suspect instead.

- On that note, Victoria is a stranger to Ryuunosuke and Susato, so while Sherlock and Iris are completely convinced of her innocence, Ryuunosuke finds it a bit difficult to fully believe in her. She's intended to come off as being able to do the crime and being seemingly untrustworthy (with her tactic of using her acting skills to steer a situation to where she wants it to go).

-In her case, she is actually innocent.

I’m sorry for the length, I didn't even realise it had gotten quite ramble-y. I'm also sorry about how messy the second image is. I only decided to enter recently after the deadline was extended, but it's currently finals week so I didn't have that much time to fix/draw more stuff. Thank you for looking / reading!
*edited some grammar mistakes
i draw them barnlaws
art blog

Last edited by Tryphena on Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Re: OC Contest Entry: Victoria N. BeldukeTopic%20Title

♥ #LocalizeDGS or bust ♥

Tryph... TRYPH!!! SHE'S AMAZING OH MY GODDDDDDD your art is so gorgeous you blow me away every single time!! SHE'S SO WONDERFUL... when Jane and Janelle get their entries in we've gotta do a group pic of all our OCs during a performance, like a collab or something, GOD I CAN'T GET OVER VICTORIA she's so lovely and elegant and I can tell you put a lot of love into her!!
I'm Yumihiko Ichiyanagi and you're watching Disney Channel.

Court Illustrator

Violet Valentine wrote:
Tryph... TRYPH!!! SHE'S AMAZING OH MY GODDDDDDD your art is so gorgeous you blow me away every single time!! SHE'S SO WONDERFUL... when Jane and Janelle get their entries in we've gotta do a group pic of all our OCs during a performance, like a collab or something, GOD I CAN'T GET OVER VICTORIA she's so lovely and elegant and I can tell you put a lot of love into her!!

WAAH thank you so much Violet!!! Also yeah we definitely have to do that I can't wait to see their OCs to so we can draw a group picture or something!!!

On a related note! Here's that doodle I drew a few days ago of Enrico & Victoria!
Spoiler: Duet

i draw them barnlaws
art blog

Tryphena wrote:

Also yeah we definitely have to do that I can't wait to see their OCs to so we can draw a group picture or something!!!

I am TOTALLY doing that final group picture. I will work on it IMMEDIATELY. I WILL MAKE IT GLORIOUS! I WILL MAKE IT BEAUTIFUL!

By the way, hi! Your entrant looks AMAZING. I'm the tacky person with a tacky OC. (My precious Seizan...so innocent of the evils of this world...) Ah, I wish you luck on the contest. I'm sure your entry will be a contender to look out for :D

Court Illustrator

Alphawave wrote:
Tryphena wrote:

Also yeah we definitely have to do that I can't wait to see their OCs to so we can draw a group picture or something!!!

I am TOTALLY doing that final group picture. I will work on it IMMEDIATELY. I WILL MAKE IT GLORIOUS! I WILL MAKE IT BEAUTIFUL!

By the way, hi! Your entrant looks AMAZING. I'm the tacky person with a tacky OC. (My precious Seizan...so innocent of the evils of this world...) Ah, I wish you luck on the contest. I'm sure your entry will be a contender to look out for :D

Thank you! Good luck too, Seizan seems like a fun quirky character.
i draw them barnlaws
art blog

Another opera singer character, that's p cool! Both Enrico and Victoria could fit in the same overall case. :D

It's clear that there's been a lot of work put into this--the rendering is amazing, and I love how stylish she is!

Also, I think it's pretty neat how almost all of the entrants who had entered defendant characters are performers, although my guy does a slightly different kind of entertainment, haha.

Good luck in the competition! This is a pretty strong entry!

edit: I couldn't resist and drew this little bit of fanart, feat. Victoria/Enrico/my entry, hope you don't mind!

Spoiler: mini comic

Court Illustrator

tofuplusbeast wrote:
Another opera singer character, that's p cool! Both Enrico and Victoria could fit in the same overall case. :D

It's clear that there's been a lot of work put into this--the rendering is amazing, and I love how stylish she is!

Also, I think it's pretty neat how almost all of the entrants who had entered defendant characters are performers, although my guy does a slightly different kind of entertainment, haha.

Good luck in the competition! This is a pretty strong entry!

edit: I couldn't resist and drew this little bit of fanart, feat. Victoria/Enrico/my entry, hope you don't mind!

Spoiler: mini comic

Thank you! I'm also amused that almost all the defendant entries are performers. Your character's concept is cool! With how he's created his own type of genre, and how he's an inspiration for the Steel Samurai. He sounds like a fun energetic character.

Good luck to you too! I'm really touched to hear that!

And oh gosh that mini comic! Different worlds colliding! Thank you for taking the time to draw Victoria aaaa //
i draw them barnlaws
art blog

Neighborhood Friendly Tomato

/insert Queen Victoria fanfare here because you know she is orchestra level wow

(Also I see mention and I AM FOR THIS AAAA--)

Ta-da!

I know I've mentioned it a lot but Victoria is honestly so beautiful and elegant! I love how you designed her hair, too! Truly the ancestor of the beautiful Miss Eve.
Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Board index » Present Evidence » Fanart