Board index » Present Evidence » Cosplay

Page 1 of 1[ 3 posts ]

Cockatrice's Apollo Cosplay AdventureTopic%20Title

Mmm, bacon.

Pics in spoiler tags to save space.

Spoiler: Showing the front of the vest, the tie (which I made out of fabric that we had... cheaper and less time-consuming than trying to look for one of the right color), the badge, and the shirt.

I sewed black fabric to the back of the vest, and the pants are just... red pants kinda like the ones he's got. So you're not really missing much. I know Apollo's shirt isn't a turtleneck, but I don't care because turtlenecks friggin' rock.

Spoiler: Close-up of the badge

I made it with Sculpey, painted it with acrylic, and then my mom hot-glued a tiny safety pin on the back. Unfortunately, there's kind of a big glop of the glue that makes it hard to open or close the pin. :P

The bracelet was why I wanted to cosplay as Apollo in particular, but it ended up being painfully tricky to figure out how to make. I tried making it with Sculpey, making it into several segments that I could attach with elastic so it could fit over my hand and snugly on my wrist. You see, because of its physical properties mentioned in the game, it had to be stretchy.

Unfortunately, I got lazy and put it off until the night before the cosplay thing I was going to (not a convention because it's way too small for that, but they had a cosplay contest (which we missed), anime trivia, and a sale on anime, manga, and pocky), and the Sculpey pieces ended up being too heavy to work well. So after failed attempts to find a bracelet in the house that looked similar enough, I decided to try stretchy fabric with stuffing. Great idea, right? The stretchiness gives the expanding/contracting effect, I have fabric that's a good color for it, and it's comfortable. So what was the problem?

Well, I had this kickass idea to make the eye designs by hot-gluing multi-colored yarn to the fabric. That would look awesome. Except it didn't because it ended up as a mess of stupidly-placed yarn and permanently glue-ruined fabric that needed to be thrown away after I also burned my finger on the tip of the glue gun. Also, I found that when making a plush bracelet, you have to start with a strip of fabric much longer than the circumference of your wrist because it will get shorter as you put the stuffing in. So then I ended up making the shape of the bracelet, then drawing the design on with a Sharpie marker.

Spoiler: A few bracelet pics

Good thing I'm happy with the result, because I stayed up all night trying to make this thing while in pain from my finger burn.
Re: Cockatrice's Apollo Cosplay AdventureTopic%20Title

One K, one R, two V's. Gawd.

Hot glue guns are mean... I burn myself every time XD
Awesome job! I like the little teeny badge
ImageImageImageImage
Married to Don- Mom to Obby, Wassa, Gavinner, and someone whose name starts with a C... :P
Comics Updated August 13th
Re: Cockatrice's Apollo Cosplay AdventureTopic%20Title

I love the badge! It looks really cute.

As for the hot glue, if you use it in the future, you shoul keep some aloe handy. It really helps the burns. (Or you can grow an actual aloe plant...either way.) I've burned myself with hot glue guns more times than I'd care to admit.
Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Board index » Present Evidence » Cosplay