Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Wright & Co. Law Offices

Page 22 of 40[ 1583 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 40  Next

Re: The New Vent Station (please read the rules before postiTopic%20Title

In Justice We Trust

I feel as though my point is being missed altogether.

Cat, the matter of "making it up" to minorities is a red herring in my eyes. The overwhelming majority of people contributing to current prejudices such as the one you've brought up are not the same people who caused all those problems in the 1950s and earlier. I'm concerned solely with stamping out existing problems here, not apologizing for past mistakes. The problem the boycott hoped to call attention to is that of black people getting too few "award" roles (i. e. roles that producers, directors, etc. can reasonably expect to be nominated for an award). It's similar to how men are more likely than equally competent women to receive raises and/or promotions (or be hired for anything other than traditionally "feminine" jobs in the first place). In both cases, there isn't any conscious prejudice going on, but rather unconscious prejudice.
I'll always love you, Max.

You'd think that, after such unconscious prejudice happening for a bit, someone would realize it going on, wouldn't you? Or am I, once again, expecting humans to be more intelligent than they actually are?

C-A

Gettin' Old!

CatMuto wrote:
You'd think that, after such unconscious prejudice happening for a bit, someone would realize it going on, wouldn't you? Or am I, once again, expecting humans to be more intelligent than they actually are?

C-A

Sure you are but it's not that humans aren't intelligent, it's just that your expectations are quite high.

After all we have suggested this unconscious prejudice may be a thing. However it's intangible, and impossible to prove when someone is under the effects of it. It's basically what I said before...
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

No, I think if someone flat out said, "Hey. 99% of the time, you say the white guy's performance is better. Like... can you say WHAT makes it better or are you just going by 'my guy' rules?" I mean, usually, if you confront people with their idiocy or subconscious behavior, they realize it. Not saying that it'll change anything, but at the very least they may wonder if something's going on and think twice before making a decision.

C-A

Gettin' Old!

CatMuto wrote:
No, I think if someone flat out said, "Hey. 99% of the time, you say the white guy's performance is better. Like... can you say WHAT makes it better or are you just going by 'my guy' rules?" I mean, usually, if you confront people with their idiocy or subconscious behavior, they realize it. Not saying that it'll change anything, but at the very least they may wonder if something's going on and think twice before making a decision.

C-A

I don't think "No" is a sufficient answer here.

In your example it's a bit more obvious if the person is saying "99%" of the time a white actor's performance is better. There's nothing really subconscious about that kind of racism it's blatant.

In my example subconscious decision sways the mark between two equally good actors. To the point that if you were to say "I think you are unconsciously biased towards white people" the simple reply is "No I'm not...this white actor earned his nomination but it was a close thing." It's a subtle difference, they aren't even aware of the bias. They might reflect on it and wonder if a bias played a factor but both actors were equally deserving so they'll feel comfortable with their decision at the end of the day.

It's not something you can prove, only something you can suspect.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

You can. You don't need to use percentages, you can just as easily say, "You tend to favor the white actors' performances". It's not blatantly telling someone WTF they are doing, but is a bit on the nose in that it's becoming noticeable to outsiders. And once outsiders realize things, you know you are being a bit too obvious about it, even if you don't know it yourself.

C-A

Gettin' Old!

CatMuto wrote:
You can. You don't need to use percentages, you can just as easily say, "You tend to favor the white actors' performances". It's not blatantly telling someone WTF they are doing, but is a bit on the nose in that it's becoming noticeable to outsiders. And once outsiders realize things, you know you are being a bit too obvious about it, even if you don't know it yourself.

C-A

Yeah...you do kind of need to use percentages and statistics to show a meaningful indication in changes in belief. All those kinds of studies need to be empirically valid, more than just two years without a black nomination for it to "prove" anything. You especially need to be well armed when you are discussing the subject of racism as it could even count as slander and then get taken to courts at worst.

Also like I said...

Quote:
if you were to say "I think you are unconsciously biased towards white people" the simple reply is "No I'm not...this white actor earned his nomination but it was a close thing."

Just saying it isn't going to change anything, if they aren't aware of it they might consider themselves very fair-minded. It might not even BE that they are heavily affected by it. I don't know who the nominations are but it's perfectly plausible that none of the black actors this year were distinguished enough in good films to earn a nomination or vice versa.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

In Justice We Trust

It's very easy for people to dismiss accusations of prejudice when they're the ones making the call. They don't realize their decisions were influenced by prejudice, so they're understandably shocked by the accusation and will deny the claims. This in turn contributes to confirmation bias, as they start off convinced they are not prejudiced, so they will be prone to dismissing any evidence that suggests otherwise. It doesn't help that there are large numbers of people who will leap to their defense. As I said when first responding to your post, Cat, prejudice is largely in a stage in which most people are unaware that it's still causing problems. Because it's mostly restricted to subtle things that are easy to dismiss as coincidence these days, a lot of people are convinced that racism and other prejudices are things of the past.

I wish people would stop asking me "Why are you depressed?"
It's not something that can really be explained. Sure, I can give you a scientific explanation in that I am suffering a chemical imbalance in my brain, which could be treated with medication or by getting a job, which in turn would get me to do things a lot I tend to not do and force my brain to send out different hormones and alter itself. But I am sure that if I were to tell them 'why', then they'd just think "Oh, please, you have no problems. Now if I think what I went through...!"
Don't belittle my issues. You don't know what it's like to be me, nor do I know what it's like to be you.

C-A

Mom passive-aggressively snapped at me when I looked in the drawer for socks. Yes, she told me to 'deorphan' them (look through them and put together the pairs) and I didn't do it. SO WHAT!? It's freaking SOCKS! If it bugs her so much, SHE do it! I have BETTER things to do than go through socks! Now excuse me, I'll go cry in frustration for five minutes. :ron:

C-A

★ I wanna Yabba Dabba Die ★

My mum hasn't spoke to me since the 20th of January. I was upset at first because I was always close to her since I was born and she pretty much abandoned me. I know I'm 23 years old, but she's my mother. I'm not sure how to feel about it, but whatever I guess.
FacebookKidd & Milky Art
Instagram (18+ Art)Art Merch
X: @miilkyweiPSN: Saebyeog ☆ Switch: SW-6480-0576-7900 ♡
*HMU if you wanna die or request commissions*
Currently (Re)Watching / Playing: ASTRO BOY / Yu-Gi-Oh Master Duel

Akari wrote:
I know I'm 23 years old, but she's my mother.

That doesn't matter. I'm going on 26 and I'm sure if my mom stopped speaking to me, I'd be dang upset, too. No matter how old you get, your mom will always be your mom. It's just one of those really complicated relationships you have over the course of life.

C-A

Gettin' Old!

Akari wrote:
My mum hasn't spoke to me since the 20th of January. I was upset at first because I was always close to her since I was born and she pretty much abandoned me. I know I'm 23 years old, but she's my mother. I'm not sure how to feel about it, but whatever I guess.

Why'd she stop speaking to you?
Made by Chesu+Zombee

★ I wanna Yabba Dabba Die ★

Pierre wrote:
Why'd she stop speaking to you?

Hell if I know. It sucks, though. She has been speaking to my dad a lot lately though. For money, go figure.
She only talks to me when she wants me to do something for her, but the last time she contacted me was last month.
FacebookKidd & Milky Art
Instagram (18+ Art)Art Merch
X: @miilkyweiPSN: Saebyeog ☆ Switch: SW-6480-0576-7900 ♡
*HMU if you wanna die or request commissions*
Currently (Re)Watching / Playing: ASTRO BOY / Yu-Gi-Oh Master Duel

I feel awful. Our Chinese teacher works really hard to motivate the class to study and do well for our exams 4 months away. The exam is really important for our future. She gives us time to rest before the bell rings, she uses song lyrics to teach us new words and gave us candy to celebrate Chinese New Year. Today is is the day after the cny break and she freaking bought us (I forgot the word)(there's this tradition which people would use chopsticks and toss noodles(?) and shout well wishes and stuff for the new year).

The thing is, I am horrible in Chinese. So is the rest of the class, but I am the worst. I can recognise and write characters that a 7 years old can also do, and I cannot stand speaking for the oral exam. I feel awful, because she is doing so much and yet, I am not putting the effort to learn it. I like Chinese to be honest, but I would rather learn at my own pace and not be pressurised by the upcoming exam. (by my own pace I mean none because I don't take the freaking initiative to learn) I don't want to disappoint her. It's horrible.

I know it's entirely my fault that I'm feeling so bad, not hers but urrgggg
(pardon my mistakes. I'm in a rush)
Feel free to reply.
Or not.
Thanks though!

Asursrus wrote:
(there's this tradition which people would use chopsticks and toss noodles(?) and shout well wishes and stuff for the new year). )

I would say that sounds like Setsubun, but that's done with Beans and is on Feb 3rd.

C-A

Ugh, I wish people would quit treating me like a babysitter. It's not that I don't like kids, but goddamn. This is just too much. I already have to take care of my brother who is 11 sometimes, and now my aunt is coming here all the time with my 2 little cousins. They are always asking me to buy them stuff. Like, some minutes ago, I was tired as hell and wanted to stay in my room, but I had to go out to buy ice cream for a couple of kids. This kind of thing is OK with me, as long as it doesn't happen every week. But as I said before, I'm not a fucking babysitter. I don't have the responsibility to stay available 24/7 to fulfill their whimsical wishes. And I know that if I refuse to do things they want me to do, people will just start saying I'm a coldhearted monster or selfish.

Go ahead. Let them call you 'coldhearted' or 'selfish'. In turn, tell them that repeatedly fulfilling whimsical wishes of little kids (like ice cream when they feel like it) would raise them to be spoiled and expect their wishes to be constantly fulfilled by everyone. Besides, don't you have ice cream at home? Can't they eat that stuff?

C-A

supercalifragilisticexpialidocious?

Got pulled out of studying just a while ago to do something short. After we finished, I quipped that I was pulled out of my momentum and now feeling sleepy. Then my dad goes on this tirade on how it's not their fault I chose to study only today, and lazed around the whole weekend. That is NOT true! Then he brings up what's true: that I went out with my classmates to the mall Thursday night since we didn't have any exams (or anything to do/submit) on Friday. Oh, what now, I'm not allowed a break anymore? Speaking of which, dad also commented the same Thursday night after I came home that I can rest that night since it was already late, but he expected me to make up for it by studying on Friday night.

And he claims he's not pressuring me at all. Just... wow.

You know, a Mario game!

My computer is a piece of crap. It hasn't been working for the past week or so, it turns on, but then just becomes a plain black screen that I can move my mouse around. I just got it repaired last month, and it worked fine for a few weeks, but then just stopped. It's about 3 years old, maybe I should invest in getting a new computer.
My let's Play channel! Shameless plug!
Current Project: Sly Cooper & The Thievius Racoonus
My Twitter Account

That's it. I have to vent about the dang refugees, who keep dominating the news. Firstly, why do you want to go to Germany so badly?!

"Germany is better"
No, it isn't.
"It's easier to get a job in Germany."
Ahahahahaha-No. :ron:

Germany is nowhere near some kind of economical or social paradise of Eden. Our economy sucks, we have over a million unemployed people and more, we have no jobs for them, our schools suck cause they don't have enough money for proper upkeep and getting a place to live is difficult, because Germany is motherfreaking expensive.

Secondly, you left Syria because you were in danger of BEING KILLED in your original hometown. You are in Greece right now! Or Mascedonia! YOU! ARE! SAFE! Sure, you are refugees and are living in camps right now, but you are safe! You are not in danger of being killed by rebels, the government or some random dude who has gone insane. It's not a great life, but, hey! At least you ARE alive and you are safe where you are right now.

As said before, they should build safe havens for the refugees in their own countries, with said havens being under the protection of the UN. Don't force them to take a huge-ass journey into a country where A) they don't know the language worth a damn B) they have no money to get anything started up themselves C) the society and culture is so vastly different from theirs, they will continuously create faux pas or flat-out do something forbidden, because of the big cultural differences. By the time all these people are 'intergrated', which will take years? Syria will be either eradicated and can be repopulated with new people or it will be safe to go back, meaning all of this intergrating? Will be a huge waste of time that cost us millions or billions of Euros.

C-A

The Chocolateholic of CR

Can my life get any more worse? I have my mom and my brother breathing down my fucking neck, bugging me, nagging me, to get fucking job, and just now my mom yells at me because I forgot to take a pound of Ground Meat out from the freezer because she wants to get some meat, well SORRY for not taking it out, but we got tons of canned food that should have MEAT in it...... FUCK! Can this day get even fucking worse than it already is?!
The Dragovian King and Captain Of The Ragnarok Ship and Owner of The Ragnarok Ranch.
I'm a ♌ since 1990 of August 10th. Better Recognize.
3DS FC:2535-5065-3560

Sometimes I hate myself for my inability to create structure in my life, and to establish a linear routine. I never want to do anything I'm not interested in at the moment. I mean, I can, but it is so difficult, and so fucking boring. lol
OMG, my life is completely scattered. I don't know where to direct my energy. Just wish somebody or something could help me with discipline and structure. I really don't know what to do anymore. lol

Enoshima Junko-chan!

CatMuto wrote:
That's it. I have to vent about the dang refugees, who keep dominating the news. Firstly, why do you want to go to Germany so badly?!

"Germany is better"
No, it isn't.
"It's easier to get a job in Germany."
Ahahahahaha-No. :ron:

Germany is nowhere near some kind of economical or social paradise of Eden. Our economy sucks, we have over a million unemployed people and more, we have no jobs for them, our schools suck cause they don't have enough money for proper upkeep and getting a place to live is difficult, because Germany is motherfreaking expensive.

Secondly, you left Syria because you were in danger of BEING KILLED in your original hometown. You are in Greece right now! Or Mascedonia! YOU! ARE! SAFE! Sure, you are refugees and are living in camps right now, but you are safe! You are not in danger of being killed by rebels, the government or some random dude who has gone insane. It's not a great life, but, hey! At least you ARE alive and you are safe where you are right now.

As said before, they should build safe havens for the refugees in their own countries, with said havens being under the protection of the UN. Don't force them to take a huge-ass journey into a country where A) they don't know the language worth a damn B) they have no money to get anything started up themselves C) the society and culture is so vastly different from theirs, they will continuously create faux pas or flat-out do something forbidden, because of the big cultural differences. By the time all these people are 'intergrated', which will take years? Syria will be either eradicated and can be repopulated with new people or it will be safe to go back, meaning all of this intergrating? Will be a huge waste of time that cost us millions or billions of Euros.

C-A

Because the German government is offering handouts for the migrants. This whole shitstorm is thanks to Merkel.

From what I've seen of migrants destroying border fences, they seem to have enough power and coordination to take back their own country if they all gathered together.

Speaking of, the Canadian government is letting in 300,000 more migrants, giving them instant citizenship so they can vote to keep the current government in power.

I'm on a liberal-bashing rampage. The kids who are threatening to move to Canada if Trump is elected? It takes 3 years to immigrate here, unless you're a Syrian refugee.

And here's what I'm getting from the media in regards to the Chicago riot this weekend:
-Trump is responsible for the actions of his supporters
-Sanders isn't
-Trump needs to take rsponsibility for the actions of Sanders supports

MBr wrote:
Because the German government is offering handouts for the migrants. This whole shitstorm is thanks to Merkel.

The refugees are, frankly, idiots if they think their lives will be insta-amazing, if they get to Germany. We have a lot of problems. Ignoring how people are becoming very anti-immigrants because of the events of New Year's Eve in Cologne or that we are being told to spend a ton of money on refugees, money that we may not have, Germany has problems: some places are incredibly expensive to live in. We still have a pretty high unemployment rating.

In fact, Germany is not paradise. What do refugees expect? As soon as they get registered, they'd be handed millions of Euros and get a fine-ass building to live in and a well-paying job? Pfft! Quite the contrary. They seem to romanticize it too much. No-one is going to give someone a job in a place, where they can't even speak the language. Not even if you can semi-brokenly speak it. They don't know our culture. They don't know how society works here. They don't know how rent or payments work, how the traffic is handled and all sorts of other stuff. It'll take them years to get into an adequate position for jobs and better housing. By that point, the kids will likely be close to graduating (depending, likely with mediocre grades, making job obtaining difficult for them, too) and Syria will be safe again. Congratulations, you've wasted years of your life getting acclimated to a place you'll leave for your original home for.

As said before, they are safe in the refugee camps. It's not comfortable or that great, but they are at least not in danger of being killed by rebels, government or similar. I mean, I wouldn't go and live in... say, Turkey and things would go well there. I don't know the language. I only know (likely very old) views on how things work there. It would be beyond a struggle to go and live there.

Quote:

Trump is an asshole and, quite frankly, if he does become President, I hope someone assasinates him. Fast. Either that, or something is done quickly, to make his term be short and get him out ASAP. This guy has opened up business after business after business... and they ALL failed. Who the hell would let a guy like that, who clearly doesn't know how to run anything money-related, run an entire country and give him access to the nation's funds? :ron:

C-A

I've felt worse.

CatMuto wrote:
MBr wrote:

Trump is an asshole and, quite frankly, if he does become President, I hope someone assasinates him. Fast. Either that, or something is done quickly, to make his term be short and get him out ASAP. This guy has opened up business after business after business... and they ALL failed. Who the hell would let a guy like that, who clearly doesn't know how to run anything money-related, run an entire country and give him access to the nation's funds? :ron:

C-A

The majority of Republican voters, apparently. And some Democrats. But mostly the racists who weren't going to vote until they found their views shared by Trump. We heard you the first time, Trump. You don't have to keep repeating the same drivel that's already happened in the 1900s.
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

In Justice We Trust

Plurality, actually, not majority. The difference isn't especially important in our outdated first-past-the-post system, but it's still there. To his credit, he also has had some financial success. That said, running a country is not the same as running a business, and it is incredibly naïve to think otherwise. I can't in good conscience support Trump. He might be good at attracting rabid fans, but he should stick to running businesses, not countries.

Enoshima Junko-chan!

Part of me wants Trump elected just to spite these safe-space trigger-warning liberals.

In Justice We Trust

If an end to political correctness were all that Trump was campaigning on, I wouldn't be so vehemently opposed to him. His jingoistic rhetoric and willingness to paint all Muslims and illegal immigrants with broad strokes are the main reasons why I oppose him.

Danksgiving

this is both sad and hilarious

CatMuto wrote:
Who the hell would let a guy like that, who clearly doesn't know how to run anything money-related, run an entire country and give him access to the nation's funds? :ron:

apparently turning one million dollars into ten billion dollars means that you dont know how to run anything money-related

sumguy28 wrote:
But mostly the racists who weren't going to vote until they found their views shared by Trump.

yeah how dare he try to protect our country

CatMuto wrote:
I hope someone assasinates him. Fast.

MBr wrote:
And here's what I'm getting from the media in regards to the Chicago riot this weekend:
-Sanders isn't
-Trump needs to take rsponsibility for the actions of Sanders supports

you give me hope for humanity

In Justice We Trust

Mister Gruel wrote:

I get the alleged intent behind his plans--or at least how he tries to justify them to people who aren't wearing a white hood on the inside. My problem is with their ineffectiveness and the rhetoric I've heard from a lot of people who support these plans. Blocking all Muslims from entering the country will thoroughly piss off more than a billion people while also failing to prevent terrorist attacks. Any Islamic extremist hoping to wreak havoc in the United States would just pretend to follow a different religion. In addition, there are several million Muslims already living in the United States who would likely be more drawn to extremism by the policy Trump is advocating. The policy might temporarily placate any Americans who hate Muslims and will always consider them dangerous, but it would only be temporary. The policy Trump favors, if enacted, would inevitably lead to another San Bernardino, and then many of Trump's fans would start clamoring for additional laws that target all Muslims. Mass deportation is something I've seen a fair number of Muslim-haters advocate already.

I've felt worse.

General Luigi wrote:
Mister Gruel wrote:

I get the alleged intent behind his plans--or at least how he tries to justify them to people who aren't wearing a white hood on the inside. My problem is with their ineffectiveness and the rhetoric I've heard from a lot of people who support these plans. Blocking all Muslims from entering the country will thoroughly piss off more than a billion people while also failing to prevent terrorist attacks. Any Islamic extremist hoping to wreak havoc in the United States would just pretend to follow a different religion. In addition, there are several million Muslims already living in the United States who would likely be more drawn to extremism by the policy Trump is advocating. The policy might temporarily placate any Americans who hate Muslims and will always consider them dangerous, but it would only be temporary. The policy Trump favors, if enacted, would inevitably lead to another San Bernardino, and then many of Trump's fans would start clamoring for additional laws that target all Muslims. Mass deportation is something I've seen a fair number of Muslim-haters advocate already.

Not to mention Trump basically saying he has no qualms about killing civilians to take out terrorists.
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

Danksgiving

at least youre reasonable
General Luigi wrote:
My problem is with their ineffectiveness and the rhetoric I've heard from a lot of people who support these plans. Blocking all Muslims from entering the country will thoroughly piss off more than a billion people while also failing to prevent terrorist attacks. Any Islamic extremist hoping to wreak havoc in the United States would just pretend to follow a different religion.

a fair point but the same logic also applies to other issues that democrats/liberals tend to oppose

for example even if we have gun control people who want to kill children will still manage to get a gun illegally. we should also legalize all drugs since people are finding them anyways.

every little bit helps, if you ask me
General Luigi wrote:
In addition, there are several million Muslims already living in the United States who would likely be more drawn to extremism by the policy Trump is advocating.

if someone is going to resort to killing innocents over the government trying to stop terrorism then they're already too far gone

then again we just had someone say that they want to assassinate trump just because they think he's stupid so maybe my faith in people is a little too strong

General Luigi wrote:
The policy might temporarily placate any Americans who hate Muslims and will always consider them dangerous, but it would only be temporary. The policy Trump favors, if enacted, would inevitably lead to another San Bernardino, and then Trump's fans would start clamoring for additional laws that target all Muslims. Mass deportation is something I've seen a fair number of Muslim-haters advocate already.

just because muslim-haters want laws targeting muslims doesnt mean trump (and congress) will make it happen

and i think we're both (or at least you are) mature enough to not go the Trump/Hitler comparison route

sumguy28 wrote:
Not to mention Trump basically saying he has no qualms about killing civilians to take out terrorists.

i think youre getting "take out" confused with "kill"

Gettin' Old!

Not to detract from the political conversation but:

*sigh* My bus driver sold me a return ticket from the wrong place. Which led to the bus driver insisting I buy another ticket to get back.

I mean I get that people have to do their job, I don't think less of him for that situation he had no choice but to charge me.

It was just his attitude man...it could have been worse but not much worse without him getting into some serious trouble with complaints later on that he could not justify.

He kept insisting the ticket was correct, that I had bought it at the location it was listed from (which was nowhere near my destination). I kept saying the guy before must have made a mistake, but he kept saying "no this ticket was bought here".

I mean...c'mon man I would know where I bought it from but your insistence on the ticket being bought here means that you are either claiming there's something drastically wrong with me or that I'm outright lying to you. That's the bit that hurts me, that you would assume I'm lying to you before you would consider someone made a little mistake or that there was a miscommunication. This persecute before understanding approach.

Just not a nice feeling. Course money has actually been lost so I'm going to need to make a formal complaint against the guy who sold me the ticket in the first place.

But...ah well..bad feelings.

Back on topic:

That comment about targeting the terrorists families is a really stupid thing to say. Way I see it if Trump does manage to gain some morsel of power he's going to find himself in a very hostile situation with the international community.

It might go very well with many of his voters but ultimately he's entering a worldwide playing field and with his claims and statements that he is making now I believe he's lost that battle before its even started.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Mister Gruel wrote:
for example even if we have gun control people who want to kill children will still manage to get a gun illegally. we should also legalize all drugs since people are finding them anyways.

Sure. Let's legalize everything and remove authority from keeping anything up, they'll find ways to do it, anyway. This won't throw society into chaos. Oh, let's allow people to rape each other, too. Well, come on, they're gonna do it anyway, might as well let them do it and not punish them for forcing someone into something they don't want and stripping that person of control, leaving them with life-long emotional, mental and even physical scars. Also, people who want to kill children? Pretty sure there are adults who want to kill adults, as well as kids who want to kill adults. It's not always adults wanting to kill children. (And kids killing kids, given that Germany recently had the case of a 13 year old getting killed by a same-aged classmate during a fight)

Quote:
then again we just had someone say that they want to assassinate trump just because they think he's stupid so maybe my faith in people is a little too strong

I don't find him stupid, I find him to be a despicable jerk. As my mother says - and she is right - Trump is always, always, always AGAINST something. He is against this and against that, but he never gives anything up for discussion. Well, he's against this. Okay, does he have an offer on how to solve or alter the problem he's against and make things better? No. He's just AGAINST it. It's like he's against something for nothing but principle. He OFFERS nothing in return.

Do I really want someone in any position of authority, who feels like an overgrown toddler throwing a tantrum, whose only contribution to any topic of discussion is to yell and scream about how he hates it, but not doing anything productive? Definitely not.

C-A

Danksgiving

Pierre wrote:
That comment about targeting the terrorists families is a really stupid thing to say.

if he really does mean killing them then i can agree

but then again he might not. and since his other policies arent half bad im willing to give him the benefit of the doubt

CatMuto wrote:
Sure. Let's legalize everything and remove authority from keeping anything up, they'll find ways to do it, anyway. This won't throw society into chaos. Oh, let's allow people to rape each other, too. Well, come on, they're gonna do it anyway, might as well let them do it and not punish them for forcing someone into something they don't want and stripping that person of control, leaving them with life-long emotional, mental and even physical scars.

okay so if your point is that we should have gun control and drug control then you should also agree that stopping Muslims from entering America is also a good thing as it would help prevent terrorism

CatMuto wrote:
Also, people who want to kill children? Pretty sure there are adults who want to kill adults, as well as kids who want to kill adults. It's not always adults wanting to kill children. (And kids killing kids, given that Germany recently had the case of a 13 year old getting killed by a same-aged classmate during a fight)

are we this low on ammunition that you had to condemn my specific word choice

CatMuto wrote:
stuff about what your mom says

don't worry, there's no need to justify wanting to see the murder of a fellow human being. you're beautiful just the way you are bae

I've felt worse.

Mister Gruel wrote:
Pierre wrote:
That comment about targeting the terrorists families is a really stupid thing to say.

but then again he might not. and since his other policies arent half bad im willing to give him the benefit of the doubt

He might also not be willing to carry out the policies that you actually agree with.

In Justice We Trust

Mister Gruel wrote:

every little bit helps, if you ask me

Not necessarily. I do advocate certain restrictions on firearms to mitigate the damage Americans do to each other with them, but I oppose any sort of full ban. Still, I disagree with the claim that every little bit helps. A little bit applied improperly will make things worse, not better. Trump's suggestion is one such little bit.

Mister Gruel wrote:
if someone is going to resort to killing innocents over the government trying to stop terrorism then they're already too far gone

People are more vulnerable than we might want to believe. Those sufficiently passionate about something can be one outrage away from violence. As long as they have committed no violent acts, though, they are still functioning members of society. I've seen plenty of people on the far right calling for rebellion over [insert new liberal policy here] during these past eight years--to say nothing of far-right extremism that has occurred in the United States during these past eight years. Would it be reasonable to forbid all conservatives to enter the United States over such acts? This is all in the alleged name of security, but the primary problem is that as with any wide-net policy, it hurts the innocent far more than it hinders the guilty.

Mister Gruel wrote:
just because muslim-haters want laws targeting muslims doesnt mean trump (and congress) will make it happen

That much is true, but the fact that Trump is openly advocating such laws and being praised for it suggests to me that we are closer to such laws being passed than you might want to believe.

Mister Gruel wrote:
and i think we're both (or at least you are) mature enough to not go the Trump/Hitler comparison route

Trump is not currently the monster Hitler is remembered as and I really hope he stays that way. His demagoguery does remind me of Hitler, though, so perhaps I am not as mature as you think.

Mister Gruel wrote:
and since his other policies arent half bad im willing to give him the benefit of the doubt

Which policies would those be?

Danksgiving

General Luigi wrote:
Not necessarily. I do advocate certain restrictions on firearms to mitigate the damage Americans do to each other with them, but I oppose any sort of full ban. Still, I disagree with the claim that every little bit helps. A little bit applied improperly will make things worse, not better. Trump's suggestion is one such little bit.

I disagree. It has the possibility to stop a terrorist attack and doesn't have any large downsides in my opinion. But I believe we are at an impasse on this issue.

Unrelated, but I appreciate your stance on gun control.

General Luigi wrote:
People are more vulnerable than we might want to believe. Those sufficiently passionate about something can be one outrage away from violence. As long as they have committed no violent acts, though, they are still functioning members of society.

I believe that worse things are happening in this world, and if these people are going to crack over us trying to protect our country, then they most likely don't have the correct mindset to begin with. They would most likely crack over something else. In the end I personally see the benefits outweighing the potential risks.

General Luigi wrote:
I've seen plenty of people on the far right calling for rebellion over [insert new liberal policy here] during these past eight years--to say nothing of far-right extremism that has occurred in the United States during these past eight years. Would it be reasonable to forbid all conservatives to enter the United States over such acts?

People wanting a liberal policy removed and people who want to kill innocents over religion isn't a very good comparison.

General Luigi wrote:
That much is true, but the fact that Trump is openly advocating such laws and being praised for it suggests to me that we are closer to such laws being passed than you might want to believe.

Are we still talking about Muslims entering the United States? Or do you have proof that Trump advocated a different law on Muslims?

General Luigi wrote:
Trump is not currently the monster Hitler is remembered as and I really hope he stays that way. His demagoguery does remind me of Hitler, though, so perhaps I am not as mature as you think.

I was making a reference to the people who start comparing Trump to Hitler right out the gate. Thankfully you don't do that.

General Luigi wrote:
Which policies would those be?

I approve of his stance on taking down ISIS, his Wall idea for keeping out illegal immigrants and just getting rid of Obamacare in general. I can't go into detail right now as I'm in a rush and want to get this posted. My apologies.

Gettin' Old!

Quote:
okay so if your point is that we should have gun control and drug control then you should also agree that stopping Muslims from entering America is also a good thing as it would help prevent terrorism

Nah y'see it doesn't work because it's not a straight comparison. Guns and Drugs are ultimately tools, they achieve a desired effect. It's easy to calculate the effects of limiting them because we know what they'll do in general.

Muslims...are humans, with dreams, goals, desires, aspirations, doubts, fears, flaws and more. They can be capable of any number of things. So you can't safely say the stopping Muslims from entering America would really cull the problem in a fair way.

It'd be like banning petroleum because one of the potential uses for it is making explosives.

Terrorism is one potential thing that ANY human is capable of. Banning Muslims isn't a fair or adequate solution to the problem because there's no guarantee it would do anything to stop the problem other than offend and harass a great number of people.

Quote:

Yeah but it's a situation that it doesn't MATTER what he actually means, what MATTERS is the impression he gives off. If he has a number of people believing he'll go to any lengths to stop ISIS (such as killing civilian families) then he'll have their support. His statement IMPLIES that while still allowing him the fallback that you are using now: that he never actually said "kill".

It's a political move, he gets the support from people who approve of an obscene policy and anyone who challenges him on it he can double back and say "Hey you are misreading what I said," and then he can put out another ploy. It won't matter in the end, the damage is already done and if he gains the Presidency then he can enact whatever he likes.

It doesn't matter that it's not word-for-word, what matters is the message he's communicating and that is that he would kill civilian families of terrorists. He (and his supporters) will always be able to deny it but the fact it's being interpreted that way by so many people already says it's too late, if it's NOT what he's meaning then he's made a real faux-pas in his communications.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Page 22 of 40 [ 1583 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 40  Next

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Wright & Co. Law Offices