Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Wright & Co. Law Offices

Page 2 of 2[ 60 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Re: C-R D&D (and/or other tabletop games)Topic%20Title

An Enigma Among Humans

So, when do we get our character sheets to fill out?

Gettin' Old!

Lord Doitsu wrote:

Presumably when we decide on a game to play and what players are in it.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

aka Ami <3

Pierre wrote:
Lord Doitsu wrote:

And when I get resources. But we can take our time on that front, for now. My baby sister is visiting from college again, so I've got my attention split.

Gettin' Old!

genodragon1 wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Lord Doitsu wrote:

And when I get resources. But we can take our time on that front, for now. My baby sister is visiting from college again, so I've got my attention split.

I'm waiting to find out what game we'll play before I send resources so I don't bog you down in needless files
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

An Enigma Among Humans

I just wanted to say this, and I figured it was good a place as any. I am writing my own table top RPG. It is a Tradewinds style formula where you play as a group of merchants, as you must perform the deed of all merchants and deliver good (and services) to the walled-off cities in this apocalyptic future, in which the world has been turned into a desert wasteland.

Gettin' Old!

Sounds interesting but I've not ever heard of Tradewinds what is it?
Made by Chesu+Zombee

An Enigma Among Humans

It's an older PC where you play as a captain of a merchant ship delivering goods and services to ports on the Caribbean island. Sometimes you encountered pirates and other enemies while traveling between ports. It was very fun, and more or less the basis of this game.

An Enigma Among Humans

Reviving thread.

SO, regarding your new story, genodragon1, does it perchance have to do with economics?

Gettin' Old!

Yeah Geno I saw you had a plan in place and I'd like to know so we can get things underway.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

An Enigma Among Humans

I'm getting that this is one of those things that sound good, and then no one does anything with it once the hype goes down.

Gettin' Old!

Lord Doitsu wrote:
I'm getting that this is one of those things that sound good, and then no one does anything with it once the hype goes down.

Perhaps it's difficult to organise anything and like you said the hype has died down.

I guess we've established that the game to be played is NWOD: Hunter however.

Geno hasn't been on in a while but she's been thinking up ideas for plots supposedly, so when she does show I'll give her the book now we've got a rough idea on what game we want to play and we'll work it from there.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

An Enigma Among Humans

Great. Hate to pick and annoy, but does that mean we can work on our character sheets? I really want to play around with all the options I can pick from.

Gettin' Old!

Lord Doitsu wrote:
Great. Hate to pick and annoy, but does that mean we can work on our character sheets? I really want to play around with all the options I can pick from.

Right. Since you are so eager to get started give me your Skype (if you have it) and I'll send you the PDF so you can tinker and go ahead with basic character gen I suppose.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

High level play

Í'm also down for this RP but since I have 0 experience with this kind of thing I'm going to abide to the will of the majority in terms of settings/rules/etc.

I just hope that this RP will not move as slow as the Fire Emblem one on this site. I checked that one out thoroughly and that RP has died more times than Sean Bean.
Face your emptiness don't be afraid. The danger is often smaller than your fear.

Gettin' Old!

Sjibbey wrote:
Í'm also down for this RP but since I have 0 experience with this kind of thing I'm going to abide to the will of the majority in terms of settings/rules/etc.

I just hope that this RP will not move as slow as the Fire Emblem one on this site. I checked that one out thoroughly and that RP has died more times than Sean Bean.

Ah sick burn!
Made by Chesu+Zombee

An Enigma Among Humans

Does anyone know, in a RPG, what numbers like 5/4/3 mean in the character sheet?

Gettin' Old!

Lord Doitsu wrote:
Does anyone know, in a RPG, what numbers like 5/4/3 mean in the character sheet?

Y'gotta understand Doitsu, each RPG uses different systems. Based one what I've sent you however I reckon it's probably NWOD's system you are talking about.

Ok so I'll run a brief explanation of the mechanics. The 5/4/3 is probably referring to the number of dots you see on the stat sheet in places.

You'll see "Mental" "Social" and "Physical" stats at the top which each have three forms, these correspond to "Offence" "Defence" and "Skill" variations on those attributes.

So pretty much every roll you ever do will take the core attribute and combine it with one of the skill stats which also have dots. Think of skills as talents and knowledge learned and focused over everyday life whereas the "Mental" "Social" and "Physical" attributes are like innate inbuilt things that affect everything.

So most rolls are a combination of the attribute dots and a corresponding skill.

Wanna shoot a gun? Need a quick hand, you would roll dice equal to your dots in Dexterity and Firearm. In NWOD successes are measured by whether you get an 8, 9 or 10 on a D10, and if you roll a 10 you can reroll 10s for additional successes.

So I've got 3 Dex and 5 Firearms so I get to throw 8 dice down on the table, out of that in successes I get 2 10's and a 8. I reroll the 10s and get a 8 (success) and a 3 (failure). I have 4 successes total from those dice. I'm fuzzy on the rules but generally the action gets better the more successes with anything of 5 or more considered an "Exceptional" success. Pretty much the difference between busting a door open and busting a door off it's hinges and down the hall.

Some other examples of skill rolls:
Int/Academics: Conducting extended research
Craft/Dex: Sewing or other fine handed work
Strength/Athletics: Sprinting
Int/Firearms: Knowing a lot about guns
Manipulation/Subterfuge: Lying
Presence/Intimidation: Threatening a person.

Of course some things don't require any particular skill and are done based on basic attributes alone. A simple strength test for example, or if you are resisting a drug it's a stamina roll (or maybe mental resistance who knows). Prolonged strength tests probably would be strength and stamina. A really common one is Wits/Composure which is essentially your perception roll. Resolve and Composure is about coping well with mindscrews and other things difficult for the psyche.

Of course, the dice rolled are always up to the GM as it comes. I've been in some bizarre roleplay events so I know almost any strange activity can come up so GM gets the final say in whatever dice need rolled for a skill. So if you are trying to debate that your great 4-dot Expression stat could be used to shoot someone (because you are an action movie actor and have held realistic guns before) and the GM looks at you like :ron: Odds are you are stuck with your crappy unskilled Firearms stat.

There's also a penalty for having absolutely no dots in a skill, after all if you are clueless about something you are just detrimental to it. If you have no idea how to work a gun you might flub it with the safety or just miss entirely having miscalculated the trajectory. This penalty is steeper for the "Mental" skills as those are just often so niche that you would need some experience in them to even make any headway. For example Jim might not know how to drive a car but could make a fair shot at it anyway even if he probably crashed he could at least get it started and moving. Ask him to discuss astro-physics and he'll give you an answer roughly equating to "Uhhh...." and nothing else.

That's all for tonight.

Edit:

A new day new answers.

I was wrong about 5/4/3 before, it seemed odd to me because my GM done it differently before using experience points instead of the actual way but 5/4/3 is actually your dots you are given for a starting character.

So, basically when you make a character you assign a primary, secondary and tertiary set of attributes. These basically make up how your character functions and what their natural talents are.

Let's take Phoenix, he has to hold his own in court and not flub his words, so his primary stat would be the Social Attributes giving him 5 dots to spend in those as he wishes. Then he needs to spend some time making sense of the evidence and studying crime scenes so he sets Mental to his Secondary attribute set giving him 4 dots to spend there. Lastly he doesn't really do much physical stuff other than desk-slamming and walking/cycling between crime scenes so he sets his Physical Attributes to his Tertiary set allowing him only 3 dots to play with.

Every character starts with 1 dot in everything for free, this represents basic human condition essentially (having no dots in stamina is practically being dead). So Nick puts 3 of his Dots into presence so he can hold his own in court. 0 Dots into Manipulation (because he ain't really that sinister Blackquill would probably get more dots in this) and 2 Dots into Composure because he needs to keep a clear head at times and think of a new way around problems.

So Nick would have 4 Presence, 1 Manipulation and 3 Composure as his Social Stats. Any stat in NWOD goes from 1-5, certain things go beyond this but 6+ is reserved for the realm of superhumans. 5 in a Physical stat is essentially Olympian levels of Fitness for example.

You'll probably be wondering about 11/7/5 as well, it's the same sort of thing for Skills since they are also divided into three sets. You get 11 dots for your Primary Skills, 7 for the Secondary Skills and 5 for the Tertiary Skills.

The last dot in anything, requires 2 to buy up though. So if you wanted to go from 4 to 5 it would cost you 2 dots instead of one.

You'll also get 7 dots worth of merits and don't get me wrong merits are a whole lot of fun and help you define your character but perhaps you might wanna hold off until you get a GM before you do anything like that.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

An Enigma Among Humans

Thanks. This looks harder than I thought. I'm just glad I have people I can ask these things. :edgey:

I have another question though, what does Chronicle and Group name equate to?

Gettin' Old!

Lord Doitsu wrote:
Thanks. This looks harder than I thought. I'm just glad I have people I can ask these things. :edgey:

I have another question though, what does Chronicle and Group name equate to?

Chronicle I'm not sure

Group name is pretty self explanatory. If you have a group name "the wasberry wallopers" put it there. I reckon both are probably really optional though.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

An Enigma Among Humans

Ok. That means I'm done with my character. Yay.
Page 2 of 2 [ 60 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Wright & Co. Law Offices