Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Wright & Co. Law Offices

Page 2 of 2[ 74 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Re: Manga! (aka Graphic Novels)Topic%20Title

迷探偵

I still haven't read/seen Another, even though I love Ayatsuji Yukito's work! Heck, my thesis is partly about him, and I've even met him once! But I've seen so much different kind of reactions on Another, I'm not sure whether to read it or not (especially as I still have to continue with his main series).

Just finished Yotsuba&! 12, which was absolutely scary. Why does this feel like the final volume (even though it says to be continued on the last page). What is the author hinting at between the lines...? It's like a Twilight Zone episode where everything seems OK, but if you look closely, something is wrong...
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

Ace Sidekick!

Yotsuba&! is cute. ^-^

☆☆☆ Kira ☆☆☆

Ash wrote:
I still haven't read/seen Another, even though I love Ayatsuji Yukito's work! Heck, my thesis is partly about him, and I've even met him once! But I've seen so much different kind of reactions on Another, I'm not sure whether to read it or not (especially as I still have to continue with his main series).

Oh god Another. I'll probably get around to reading/watching it when I become manlier. The things I've heard about the umbrellas in the show kinda make me hesitant to watch it.
I'm Blak, and I have shit taste.

Blak The Great wrote:
Oh god Another. I'll probably get around to reading/watching it when I become manlier. The things I've heard about the umbrellas in the show kinda make me hesitant to watch it.

I admit, the umbrella part in the manga was kinda... disturbingly hilarious. Kinda disgusting, but also funny, cause it did seem like a terrible way to die. Although I think Kubodera was worse...

Read that in the anime, we see a hand/foot twitch... but apparently, there's also a Censor Stream regarding that part. :redd:

C-A

Do you see the black one...or the white?

Bumping this topic because I'm bored.

I've recently been reading 20th Century Boys through again since about 7 years or so ago. I remember the manga being good, but reading through it again, I'm still completely blown away. The story is so well interwoven with its various plot points and excellent story-telling and characters. The art still remains fantastic to me and the pacing of the story is so well done. It's a constant reminder as to why I consider Naoki Urasawa to be my favorite mangaka when it comes to suspenseful, psychological thrillers with a touch of humor and drama. He's such a genius when it comes to it. I have yet to really find anyone else who I can hold at such a high regard when it comes to manga.
On April 3, 2016, Court Records Forums experienced a miracle upon that day.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Man...that looks dull...this actually makes me worried for KH3 (since that team worked on the battle system)

I feel the same

The dwarf geeky panda!

Bumping in alsooooo even if it's been a while since I stopped reading manga! ... Yeah

So Like probably everyone I read a lot of manga in my teenage years. At the time I was a huge fan of:

Bleach, Naruto, Death Note, Sailor Moon, Card Captor Sakura, Fruit Basket, Liar Game, Black Butler, Pandora Heart, Full Metal Alchemist, Ouran Host Club, Vampire Knight (This thing saved me from Twilight XD), The World God only knows, Soul Eater (still love the crappy art), Bakuman (the manga that helped me decide to go in art at college), Chobits (now I don't understand why I loved that serie) and surely a lot that I can't remember (in this case they must have been bad).

Nowadays I only still read a few of them, Bleach being my guilty pleasure (seriously where is this plot going to?). I started Good Ending and realized how much I just don't like slice of life manga, and decided to start NANA, which...is also a slice of life so I don't understand why I like that. A friend of mine, who's a big fan of CLAMP wanted me to start Tsubasa chronicle and XXXHolic but I just can't get into it because of the art... Attack on Titan also rekinkle my love for shounen because, come on, unexpected drastic death. I started also Are You Alice, I find it very intriguing and it's really a shame that those chapter are out so irregulary. I think my main problem is that either my series end or they become boring because they are soooo long. That's probably why I often consider monthly manga superior than their weekly counter part.

Also I read some smut manga... DON'T JUDGE ME!!!!!!!
Please don't hit me...

Some people will find me annoying but mangas aren't graphic novels. 8)

About mangas, well maybe I should try to catch up to One Piece. It's been months since I've done so.

TAkE YouR hEaRT

Mangas I've been reading lately are "Koe no Katachi" and "Dorohedoro" which are both absolutely amazing and completely different from each other. I would recommend to read both but Dorohedoro is really really gory (but funny as hell!) so yeah, if you can't see or don't like gore this is probably not what you want.

Koe no Katachi or "A Silent Voice" isn't gory though and easily recommendable if you like very deep but touching stories. It revolves around a middle school student who has impaired hearing. She transfers into a new school, where she is bullied by her classmates. One of the bullies, goes to the point that she transfers to another school. As a result, he is ostracized and bullied himself, with no friends to speak of and no plans for the future. Years later, he sets himself on a path to redemption.

sounds sad but cute right? well, it's actually really really depressing if you don't believe me, check out the one-shot here: click me!
and if you have been able to go through the entire one shot without crying once (which is immensely hard) then you can also continue by reading the series which is even more horribly depressing.

speaking of depressing, has anyone on here ever read Oyasumi Punpun? if heard it's really good and really depressing and I'd like to check it out.

The video game boy; the one who wins

I haven't read manga in ages until a few days ago when I couldn't sleep and randomly picked up the first volume of One piece from my bookshelf. Now I'm at the eighth one, which sadly enough is the last I bought, but I think my local library has got some more. Now I almost feel like rereading Ranma ½ as well, that was my absolute favourite manga when I was into it, about 7-8 years ago if I remember correctly.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

Let it go and move it move it

The only manga I'm reading now is Shingeki no Kyojin and Skip Beat. I've been meaning to start reading Vampire Knight again, since it finshed, but I can never find the motivation to do so. :ron:
Within Temptation

The dwarf geeky panda!

Lucy wrote:
The only manga I'm reading now is Shingeki no Kyojin and Skip Beat. I've been meaning to start reading Vampire Knight again, since it finshed, but I can never find the motivation to do so. :ron:

I remember I quitted reading Vampire knight when this happen.

Spoiler: A plost twist that make me cringe
I quit when the incest thing came with Yuki and Kaname. I remember I was like NOPE NOPE NOPE.

Please don't hit me...

Shao-Mae wrote:
Lucy wrote:

I quit when the incest thing came with Yuki and Kaname. I remember I was like NOPE NOPE NOPE.

Spoiler:
I kept reading past that point because I thought that maybe, just maybe, they aren't really siblings. There was another plot twist after that that explained the situation more I think. I don't remember what it was though.

Within Temptation

The dwarf geeky panda!

Lucy wrote:
Shao-Mae wrote:
Lucy wrote:

Spoiler:
I kept reading past that point because I thought that maybe, just maybe, they aren't really siblings. There was another plot twist after that that explained the situation more I think. I don't remember what it was though.

Well...

Spoiler: Another detail that make me cringe
Wasn't it official also that Yuki and Kaname's parents were ALSO brother and sister! Plus the triangle with the guy that's trying to kill the Kuran is also their brother?! Maybe I'm wrong but it was too much for me.

For Kaname, well I know that technicaly the first Kuran ate the child that was supposed to be Kaname, but yeah incest thing aren't my type and I don't feel like digging it further.

Please don't hit me...

One manga I've really been enjoying for a while is Liar Game. It's a very smart manga with a very interesting set-up. I find it a little humorous on how it touches on the greedy aspects of people when it comes to money.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Man...that looks dull...this actually makes me worried for KH3 (since that team worked on the battle system)

I feel the same

Shao-Mae wrote:

Well...

Spoiler: Another detail that make me cringe
Wasn't it official also that Yuki and Kaname's parents were ALSO brother and sister! Plus the triangle with the guy that's trying to kill the Kuran is also their brother?! Maybe I'm wrong but it was too much for me.

For Kaname, well I know that technicaly the first Kuran ate the child that was supposed to be Kaname, but yeah incest thing aren't my type and I don't feel like digging it further.

Spoiler:
I forgot about that. It's been a while since I read it, so most of what happened is quite foggy to me. Also, I don't think the guy you mentioned is related to either of them. Of course, there seems to be so much going on I'm not even sure.

It was something like that. I think by the point they explained some of what was happening I was so confused, a lot of it went over my head.

Within Temptation

A True English Diva-To-Be <3

*bumpity bump bump*

I'm stuck in a bit of manga rut currently since my favourite manga Loveless hasn't been produced/scanlated since November 2013 so wondering if anyone has any recommendations they enjoyed?

I tend to prefer seinen/horror manga (Battle Royale, Cage of Eden etc) but I like a bit of comedy too and it's super important to me that the series is well drawn!
Click on Janice for graphics ^^

迷探偵

Horror with a touch of comedy would be Itou Junji. Uzumaki, Gyo, Tomie are all great. I'm also more of a fan of Umezu Kazuo, but his art-style might feel a bit dated to some (even if it's absolutely awesome).Fourteen, The Left Hand of God, the Right Hand of The Devil, Baptism, The Drifting Classroom (An even more twisted version of Battle Royale? An elementary school (including teachers and students) is transported to a different world, and everybody tries to survive in their own way in the twisted world. The first couple of volumes have crazy teachers running over children with cars, a lunatic janitor beating kids up and hogging the food, alien-like monsters...).
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

I'd suggest maybe Darwin's Game? It's not very far, and I wouldn't call it on the same level as Battle Royale, but it does have some nifty, gory scenes in it. And I guess the premise is kinda neat. (Though I wonder why anyone would bother playing a game called Darwin's Game...)

C-A

A True English Diva-To-Be <3

Thank you guys! I've read and loved Drifting Classroom but will definitely try out the others!
Click on Janice for graphics ^^

I can't find Drifting Classroom... now I wanna read it for its implied gore.

C-A

Call me Ishmael.

I don't read much manga anymore but my favorite mangaka is Taiyou Matsumoto who is most famous for Tekkon Kinkreet (or more precisely, the movie based on it) and Ping Pong (again, its anime adaptation from last year). His surreal art style (influenced by European comics) is really interesting and I like the contrast between the goofy art and the storylines that often contain serious themes. I'd like to see Masaaki Yuasa (who directed the Ping Pong anime) adapt more of his works.

I strongly recommend the Tekkon kinkreet manga, it's one of the best graphic novels I've read. The movie is great too.
Wife: sparkleranger78, daughter: feedmechocolate247

A question for those who read Fushigi Yuugi.

Would you be interested/do you read fanfiction of the series? Like, a continuation or a new legend of a Priestess?

C-A

Shojo manga are boring and obnoxious, IMO. I mean, some girl falls in love with some guy and somehow they end up together. The end. You already know everything about the story. No matter what happens, the protagonist is going to end up with this guy, her "true" love. I mean, what could happen in a shojo manga? Something really exciting or interesting? Nothing. It's all boring, dull stuff that happens every day, every time with people who are in love. I have zero interest in that.

About manga in general... Death Note, HunterXHunter, Fullmetal Alchemist and Kuroshitsuji are great. I like Bleach, but it gets awful after the Hueco Mundo arc.

迷探偵

dangerousoffender wrote:
Shojo manga are boring and obnoxious, IMO. I mean, some girl falls in love with some guy and somehow they end up together. The end. You already know everything about the story. No matter what happens, the protagonist is going to end up with this guy, her "true" love. I mean, what could happen in a shojo manga? Something really exciting or interesting? Nothing. It's all boring, dull stuff that happens every day, every time with people who are in love. I have zero interest in that.

It's a very big misunderstanding that romance manga = shojo (= targeted at girl public) manga. Series like Banana Fish, Basara and Reiko the Zombie Shop for example are also shojo manga... There's also a fairly big horror manga scene especially targeting the shojo public.

Ash wrote:
dangerousoffender wrote:

It's a very big misunderstanding that romance manga = shojo (= targeted at girl public) manga. Series like Banana Fish, Basara and Reiko the Zombie Shop for example are also shojo manga... There's also a fairly big horror manga scene especially targeting the shojo public.

I'm ignorant on manga in general. I have never heard about shojo stories that aren't focused on romance before. Sounds interesting. My opinion about the specific kind of shojo I mentioned still stands, though (or about any romantic story for that matter).

Nothing happens in shoujo romance? But what about first times, pregnancy scares and waffling between two guys cause they're nice to you? I agree, the shoujo romance stuff is obnoxious, it bugs me.

I'd like an answer about Fushigi Yuugi, though. I know that the FY Suzaku/Seiryuu arc was a bit... nyeh, at times, especially between Miaka and Tamahome. But Genbu Kaiden was pretty cool. And I have hopes for Byakko Ibun, which started in March though I've only seen the first chapter so far...

C-A

The only Shoujo I've ever read and enjoyed was Kodomo no Omocha. Then again, it was the first manga I ever read so it holds a bit of a nostalgic place for me, but I found the story to be pretty entertaining overall. I don't recall it really having any romance until about the fifth volume either, it was just silly antics with some serious story at times and that's what drew me in. It's funny how I feel I've ended up more into manga than my sister and she's the one that introduced it to me.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:

I feel the same

One of my favorite manga ever is Death Note. I love the manipulative/magnificent bastard character type, so obviously I loved a manga about a battle of wits between these kind of characters. The series had to end with Light killing L and winning, though.

I also love Bleach, it was my first manga so I have kept reading it no matter what. An besides, some of the latest chapters have been actually good. Other than that I generally prefer watching anime first, though I really like some horror manga like Another or anything made by Junji Ito. (Fun fact: that guy used to be a dentist. The evil dentist trope really does have some merit in real life.)
Signature loading, please wait...

cesar26100 wrote:
One of my favorite manga ever is Death Note. I love the manipulative/magnificent bastard character type, so obviously I loved a manga about a battle of wits between these kind of characters. The series had to end with Light killing L and winning, though.

Anything past Chapter... I forget which number... Anything past the 6 Year Timeskip is bullshit. I understand them wanting to take exactly 108 Chapters to complete the story, but... considering how the mangaka HATED prolonged stories in manga, prolonging Death Note to get to 108 chapters seemed hypocritical. And, as said, anything past the time skip is bad for me...

You say you loved the battle of wits going. I loved it, too. The fact that it's gone post-Time Skip is a huge reason why I couldn't stand the second half.

C-A

PS: I ship Light/L (or L/Light) and Light/Misa.

If you liked the first half of Death Note, I'd highly recommend checking out Liar Game. Female Protagonist aside, it's a great manga that focuses on the intelligent wits of a male protagonist trying to manipulate the game he is stuck in to save him and his comrades out of massive debt. It's really creative with the games it comes up with and there's an even an antagonist later that matches wits against the male protagonist. It's pretty much the good part of Death Note, but it deals with greed and manipulating games and people instead of death. The only part I really didn't like was the main female in the story, but it was still worth it.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:

I feel the same

Yeah, I didn't really like most of the stuff that happened after the time skip. It just felt like filler chapters, considering how the main conflict was kinda gone after that point.

I will have to check out that manga dullahan recommended.
Signature loading, please wait...

cesar26100 wrote:
I also love Bleach, it was my first manga so I have kept reading it no matter what. An besides, some of the latest chapters have been actually good.

I love Bleach, too. I am kind of emotionally attached to Bleach. Read it since I was 12 or 13. Every month, on my way home from school, I would buy the newest volume. And the first arcs are pretty good and addictive, lol. I am re-reading the manga all over again now and hope to get to the last chapters soon. I still think the quality of Kubo's writing decreased significantly after the Hueco Mundo arc, though.

cesar26100 wrote:

I also love Bleach, it was my first manga so I have kept reading it no matter what. An besides, some of the latest chapters have been actually good. Other than that I generally prefer watching anime first, though I really like some horror manga like Another or anything made by Junji Ito. (Fun fact: that guy used to be a dentist. The evil dentist trope really does have some merit in real life.)

I've always wanted to start reading/watching Death Note, as I have heard good things about it. Where is the best place to start?

Does anyone have any opinions?
Sig.

DefenceLawyer wrote:
I've always wanted to start reading/watching Death Note, as I have heard good things about it. Where is the best place to start?

Does anyone have any opinions?

You start at the beginning. And when you get to the end... you stop.

In my 100% honest Opinion: Read the manga. Only half. Then, after a certain event (you will know which one I'm referring to) stop reading. After that event, there's a 6 Year time skip and everything after that is pointless, boring and culminates in an ending that feels so unsatisfactory, it'll annoy you.

I guess you can watch half of the anime after that, too. It's kind of a faithful adaptation, although they took out some of Misa's cool moments and played her up to be an airhead.

C-A
Page 2 of 2 [ 74 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Wright & Co. Law Offices