Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Wright & Co. Law Offices

Page 14 of 18[ 690 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Re: What Are You Reading Now?Topic%20Title

Still reading Doctor Sleep. I FINALLY finished Part 1 and started Part 2. Oh man, close to 250 pages for Part 1 and it feels like nothing happens the entire time. That's probably how Stephen King writes but... geez... it's like Harry Potter Deathly Hallows, I turn pages and nothing happens at first and it feels like I'm not actually turning pages...

C-A

Mrs. Jeon Jungkook ♥

Reading some german book. Oh, you have no idea how much I love this book.

The beginning was quite fun, just with all the ups and downs
But suddenly, we’re tired, from a waste of meaningless emotions

시작은 뭐 즐거웠었네 오르락내리락 그 자체로 어느새 서로 지쳐버렸네 의미 없는 감정소모에

Trivia 轉 : Seesaw

I am starting to read Death Note now, since I hear people praising it. Then again, kinda know spoilers, but lack of context.

C-A

Surf's Up!

I'm currently reading The Count of Monte Cristo.

A few chapters away from finishing Death Note. And I have realized what the big problem is with the manga: it's explaining. And explaining. Over and over. You see events, but before the proper reveal, you get flashbacks to aaaaaaaall the things you had previously read, telling you exactly why and how and when they happened and how it was all arranged and rearranged and prearranged and everything-arranged by Near and Light and L and Kira and everyone.
They know that you know that you know that they know that he knows that she knows that this will happen.

STOP EXPLAINING AND JUST LET THINGS HAPPEN! If I wanted goddamn long EXPLANATIONS, I'd read the Death Note BOOKS!

C-A

[Whip the cream!]

I'm reading The Horrific Sufferings of the Mind-Reading Monster Hercules Barefoot (phew, what a damn title - the Swedish title is Den vidunderliga kärlekens historia - The story of portentious love) by Carl-Johan Vallgren. (The 54:th book I'm reading this year. I have a lot of free time and sleepless nights.) I love how Vallgren writes, I love his imagination and my expectations (I have only read 89 pages) are quite high.
Gimme a "P"! Gimme an "I"! Give me a "P" and an "E"! What's that spell?! Pipe!

Gettin' Old!

CatMuto wrote:
A few chapters away from finishing Death Note. And I have realized what the big problem is with the manga: it's explaining. And explaining. Over and over. You see events, but before the proper reveal, you get flashbacks to aaaaaaaall the things you had previously read, telling you exactly why and how and when they happened and how it was all arranged and rearranged and prearranged and everything-arranged by Near and Light and L and Kira and everyone.
They know that you know that you know that they know that he knows that she knows that this will happen.

STOP EXPLAINING AND JUST LET THINGS HAPPEN! If I wanted goddamn long EXPLANATIONS, I'd read the Death Note BOOKS!

C-A

Then people would complain that "That makes no sense" and "Why didn't they explain that?" and "PLOTHOLLLLEEE!!"

It's not like it's an action-intensive series, explaining things is the thrill of mystery/detective novels.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Oh I damn well complain about the final chapters in Death Note, too. Not in the "you didn't explain this" way but in the way of "that makes no sense, you pulled this out of your ass".

Spoiler: Death Note Spoiler
The whole switching the Death Note thing. How come it can be done in ONE day? It's impossible to COPY SOMEONE'S HANDWRITING to the extent that it's practically identical in such a short amount of time. You need to practice a lot to do that - and until they got their hands on the Death Note (Fake or Real) they had no comparison. And how Mikami, who is so meticulous about things, doesn't NOTICE this?

Really, Death Note went down the drain after the first half and the finale is just stupid. No I do not think Light is a "Draco In Leather Pants", he does mistakes, but he still shouldn't have ended up the way he did in the final chapter. That felt like such a terrible way to end the series. For me, the series ends after the first half. Done.

C-A

I tried reading Ou-sama wa Shitsuji-sama (The King Is A Butler). Keyword being tried. Obviously, it's shoujo and girl works in a place where there are lots of hot men and the main guy, of course, is sexually harrassing her from the get go while also being an asshole to her. I thought maybe I could stomach it, but then I saw this page (Yes that's only about 10 pages into the first chapter) and all I could think was "This looks awfully lot like a dojin between an original character and Sebastian from Black Butler in a slash fic with bad smut." I stopped a few pages after that one.

I just don't understand the Japanese idea behind how tolerant and okay they think the "Bastard Boyfriend" is. I mean, okay, there's parts of it I understand but there's only so much of it that I tolerate before I'd tell the guy to stop being an asshole or I'd make him a new one.

C-A

I decided to start reading One Piece all over again because I didn't start it from the beginning since I skipped a few chapters because the anime was already on toonami at the time.

Look behind you! A three-headed monkey!

Going to start reading Inherent Vice by Thomas Pynchon after I finish this semester. I bought it at the beginning of the year and it's been sitting next to my bed collecting dust this whole time.

[Whip the cream!]

I'm reading Mary Reilly by Valerie Martin at the moment. I didn't have any expectations, really, I just wanted to see what the author did with the Jekyll and Hyde-story. I've only read 52 pages, but I have already said ewww to myself a few times. Oh, a young faaaair maiden with a traaagic backstory and some disgusting teeeensssiiooonnn between her and Jekyll. Blergh. Retellings can be fun, but this one sure isn't.

[Whip the cream!]

I'm rereading Waiting for Godot. How meta. :godot:

★ I wanna Yabba Dabba Die ★

I'm reading Yuru Yuri~ <3
FacebookKidd & Milky ArtPersonal/18+ Art InstagramArt Merch
Twitter: @miilkyweiPSN: Saebyeog ☆ Switch: SW-6480-0576-7900 ♡
*HMU if you wanna die or request commissions*
Currently (Re)Watching / Playing: Chainsaw Man / Pokemon Scarlet

Look behind you! A three-headed monkey!

Rereading Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. It's essentially The Matrix meets Willy Wonka meets literally every bit of pop culture made in the 80s. And it's just as awesome as it sounds.

1000% Knight

Slowly but surely, Ellery Queen is winning me over.
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

迷探偵

Ellery Queen is awesome. While the quality of the books is kinda uneven once we get the Hollywood and Wrightsville novels, Queen is still the standard to which I compare other detective novels in terms of fair-play and logical deductions. I only recently finished the series by the way (that is, the novels starring the character Ellery Queen, which were either written by the Queen cousins, or by ghostwriters based on Queen/Dannay scripts).
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

1000% Knight

I read House of Brass and Face to Face a while ago, but recently I started from the beginning in order. He's not nearly as showy as Carr, but once you've gotten into it the situations seem just as crazy and elegant. Right now I'm in The Greek Coffin Mystery. You can't ever fully judge a mystery until it's all over, but I can't believe so much has happened already and I'm only 60% of the way through.

迷探偵

Strangely enough, Greek is one of the novels you could potentionally already talk a lot about even at 60%, as you probably already have an idea about the particular structure of that masterpiece. The nationality novels are Queen's best, coupled with the short stories (which are often horribly overlooked!). Face to Face was one of the couple books I read recently, and it was an okay book for that particular period of Queen's career, but it kinda feels like a rehash of familiar Queen tropes, which had been done better in earlier years.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

Bad Player wrote:
but I can't believe so much has happened already and I'm only 60% of the way through.

Is it the bad kind of things happening where you lose oversight or is it written and structured in a way that you can still follow what's going on and make your own conclusions?

C-A

Reading the latest chapter of One Piece. Ugh why Doffy need to be so overpowered :ron: Can't wait to see his ass get handed to him in the next chapter :edgeworth:

1000% Knight

Ash wrote:
Strangely enough, Greek is one of the novels you could potentionally already talk a lot about even at 60%, as you probably already have an idea about the particular structure of that masterpiece.

Nope! :larry2:

Quote:
coupled with the short stories (which are often horribly overlooked!).

I don't think I have those... although I have tons of Queen novels to go through before I need to worry about how to get his short stories.

CatMuto wrote:
Bad Player wrote:
but I can't believe so much has happened already and I'm only 60% of the way through.

Is it the bad kind of things happening where you lose oversight or is it written and structured in a way that you can still follow what's going on and make your own conclusions?

C-A

I meant it in a good way, but I read the books too infrequently to remember everything and solve it myself xP

迷探偵

Bad Player wrote:
CatMuto wrote:
Bad Player wrote:

C-A

I meant it in a good way, but I read the books too infrequently to remember everything and solve it myself xP

I'd even say that The Greek Coffin Mystery is one of the best detective novels that is actually completely built around logic and deductions, as it follows a structure of [deductions] -> [revelations forcing some party's hand] -> [new information] -> [new deductions that build on earlier deduction, but includes new information] -> etc. It's really one big chain of logic from start to finish that drives the whole plot.

[Whip the cream!]

Les boulevards de ceinture by Patrick Modiano. I really, really like his way of writing, the atmospheres and all.

I read a few chapters of Absolute Boyfriend. I don't care how often I read it, I'm still inclined to cry a waterfall when I just THINK of the ending...

C-A

In Justice We Trust

An English translation of Ruslan and Lyudmila (Warning: I have not read the whole thing yet, so I cannot guarantee the text is SFW--though I don't think Pushkin would go there). I've had a recording of the opera adaptation for several years, but never bothered to read the original poem. Just reading over the first chant, I'm reminded of my time reading through Eugene Onegin (another of Pushkin's works). Ruslan and Lyudmila isn't split into a consistent arrangement of sonnets the way most of Eugene Onegin is, but the meter and rhyme scheme are the same: iambic tetrameter, sometimes with an extra unstressed syllable at the end in the case of couplets (and occasionally triplets) whose rhymed words end in an unstressed syllable.

And just in case someone's concerned about the legality of sharing the text online, I'd like to point out that the author died in 1837, meaning his work is in the public domain.

Edit: Maybe I should seek out a different translation. Some of the words in the one I linked to have the stress on the wrong syllable. I hate it when poems and songs do that.

Another edit: And it also appears the translation doesn't clearly identify any of the remaining chants. Imagine reading a book with no clear boundaries between each chapter.
I'll always love you, Max.

[Whip the cream!]

^ That sounds really interesting. I'll have a look even if the translation is flawed.

As for me. The body in question by Jonathan Miller. About the human body and medical history. I'm very much humanities-oriented, so it's really interesting to read about something completely different that the subjects I usually read about.

meowza

Currently reading Watchmen on the recommendation of a friend. Not too far in yet but I'm enjoying what I've read!

Last edited by Sissel on Fri May 08, 2015 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reading The Secret Garden again though I'm gonna stop early. After a while, it has too much Yorkshire talk and it just because too sickenly happy-dandy sweet.

Also reading Pride and Prejudice on the side, though I sometimes have to discuss or ask things with my mom cause I try to understand the language and society, how it was back then.

Also The Client cause I wanna give John Grisham another try.

C-A

Call me Ishmael.

I'm gonna start reading The Emigrants by Vilhelm Moberg, a tale of a bunch of Swedes emigrating to the Americas in the 19th century.
Wife: sparkleranger78, daughter: feedmechocolate247

[Whip the cream!]

Marche Tobaye wrote:
I'm gonna start reading The Emigrants by Vilhelm Moberg, a tale of a bunch of Swedes emigrating to the Americas in the 19th century.

Oh! That book is great, in my opinion.

Call me Ishmael.

WaitingforGodot wrote:
Marche Tobaye wrote:

Oh! That book is great, in my opinion.

It seems that way. We watched a bit of the movie adaptation in History classes during high school. It had Max von Sydow (of The Seventh Seal fame) as Karl-Oskar. Sweden has a lot of really good literature that seems relatively obscure in other countries.

[Whip the cream!]

Ah, I think the movie is very good as well, very true to its source. As for Swedish literature; det har v... Yes, I agree, and it definitely seems that way - the obscurity.

[Whip the cream!]

Religio medici by Thomas Browne.

Finished reading the latest chapter of One Piece....Doffy needs to get his ass official beat already :ron:

[Whip the cream!]

L´eau et les rêves by Gaston Bachelard. Read it six years ago and the impression is the same; so darn beautiful.

Call me Ishmael.

The Judas Priest wrote:
Finished reading the latest chapter of One Piece....Doffy needs to get his ass official beat already :ron:

I'm over 50 chapters behind myself...

The King of All

I've been reading Heart of Darkness, Siddhartha, and To Kill a Mockingbird, and all three are fantastic and eloquently written.
The king of all, Sir Duke

I am currently reading Presumed Innocent by Scott Turow.
According to my mother, there's a huge mistake in there that anyone with a decent brain can figure out - since she said I should "remember that glass" I mentioned early on, I am. Have yet to see that, since I'm only a third into the book. But I will say this: she sees one giant mistake? I see a whole lot of issues with this book.

The protagonist's name is barely ever mentioned, and the book is written present tense 1st Person - I personally don't like those a lot, but whatever - and I have no idea how I am supposed to feel sympathy regarding anything since I barely even remember his name. It's only been mentioned, I think, twice or thrice now. Who is this guy!? (Also, he cheated on his wife for a while, so I already hate his guts and hope he gets into a horrible accident - Karma, bitch!)

Carolyn, the victim, is an obnoxious woman. She sleeps with everyone, regardless of their marital status, is unprofessional by not just sleeping with practically every co-worker in the office or surrounding buildings but also can obviously not keep her own history - which hasn't been revealed yet - out of her prosecutor job. Speaking of her history, it hasn't been revealed yet, but I am sure as hell that she was sexually abused as a child and/or was sexually abusive herself. Everything about this person REEKS of that. And I fucking hope they don't try to make her sympathetic when they reveal her background.

These police officers and attorneys are morons - found a female, unidentified hair at Carolyn's crime scene? Who cares! She OBVIOUSLY was raped, or at least there was semen in her corpse, so there's no way a woman could possibly have anything to do with that. YOU DON'T FUCKING IGNORE POTENTIAL EVIDENCE CAUSE IT DOESN'T "FIT" WITH YOUR CONCLUSSION!!
Speaking of, these officers tend to have nicknames. Sometimes it works, cause you get their name mentioned and the nickname in close succession, so you make the connection. They refer to one guy as "Painless" and when he finally appears, he's called by his actual name "Kumagai" which just makes me wonder WHO THE FUCK IS THIS GUY?!

The book also has chapters that flashback to something else, others are apparently Mr Protag's therapy sessions, with no proper timeline given. Oh and those tend to have these really obnoxious dialogues with no tags on anything.
You know this type.
What did he do?
Well he did that. And then this happened.
But that makes no sense.
It does.
It does, repeated.
DIALOGUE TAGS ARE YOUR FRIENDS! USE THEM!!

I honestly think I hate EVERY person in this book I have met to date - except one: Nat, the protagonist's son. Why? Cause he's a goddamn NON-ENTITY. I don't think he's even had a single line up to now. If he was the one who killed Carolyn, I'm gonna fucking celebrate.

And my mother said this is a good book cause law is properly portrayed.
Not with the police obviously being part of the AA-verse.

C-A

1000% Knight

Finished The Greek Coffin Mystery and... wow. Absolutely amazing. That's really all I can say.

I accidentally skipped The Egyptian Cross Mystery, so now I'm about a third into The American Gun Mystery. Ash, all of a sudden I understand exactly why you called GK2-2 Queensian...
Page 14 of 18 [ 690 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Wright & Co. Law Offices