Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Wright & Co. Law Offices

Page 15 of 18[ 690 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Re: What Are You Reading Now?Topic%20Title

迷探偵

And you haven't even read The Tragedy of Z yet! (which is about a prison). The Egyptian Cross Mystery is the most Kindachi Shounen-esque of the novels, with decapitations and stuff, so you'll probably want to get back to that one.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

I HAS A GUN

I currently have a huge backlog of books (and games!), but I'm reading Doctor Sleep by Stephen King right now. Will probably do Mr. Mercedes after.

CoffeeAddict wrote:
I currently have a huge backlog of books (and games!), but I'm reading Doctor Sleep by Stephen King right now. Will probably do Mr. Mercedes after.

Please tell me if Mr Mercedes is good. I started the first few chapters but stopped pretty fast.

C-A

1000% Knight

Ash wrote:
And you haven't even read The Tragedy of Z yet! (which is about a prison). The Egyptian Cross Mystery is the most Kindachi Shounen-esque of the novels, with decapitations and stuff, so you'll probably want to get back to that one.

Well, the essence of Kindaichi Shounen is themed impossible serial murders, not just decapitations or anything. But I'll still look forward to it, I guess~
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Reading The Last Days Of Socrates. Need to finish it up so that I can finally finish up my final essay for Philosophy.

1000% Knight

Welp, The Egyptian Cross Mystery certainly was Kindaichi-esque. If it had ended with Ellery tricking the murderer into giving themselves away, it basically would've been a whole Kindaichi story. So it shouldn't be much of a surprise that I really liked the set-up of the crimes, but I feel like the solution wasn't as 'tight' as in the other Queen books (so far), and left a few things unaddressed. For example...
Spoiler: The Egyptian Cross Mystery
'Krosac's' reason for hiding Brad's note was great, but I just don't really buy Van's. He didn't want his true identity revealed before Megara came? Then wouldn't he want Megara called up ASAP? So wouldn't he want the note found ASAP? Ellery went through great pains to figure out 'Krosac's' reason for waiting so long to kill Megara... but never even addressed Van's. Van also apparently kept Kling captive in a cage for months, apparently, and I feel like the logistics of that are a bit too complex to simply say that he did it.

I figured out the murderer (or rather, he was my top choice--I accidentally read over the final clue which essentially proved it was him) and the general outline of the crimes, but these concerns of mine--which ended up not even being addressed--were the things that prevented me from being 100% confident in the solution.

One last thing I didn't like about the ending is that the solution was basically superfluous. In most detective stories, you need the detective because you have a list of suspects, but you don't know which one did it, and you need the detective to point out which one it was. Here, however, they simply caught scent of the killer after his last murder and hunted him down. You could completely remove Ellery from the story, and it would've played out exactly the same way (as long as they decided to have someone check up on Van after Megara ended up dead).

Looking back on it all, I feel like The American Gun Mystery is simply a better version of what The Egyptian Cross Mystery wanted to be.

Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Reading up on the latest chapter of both One Piece and Naruto. What I noticed is that Oda has been producing less number of pages for each chapter that comes out. I'm a bit saddened by this fact.

[Whip the cream!]

Deadly doses by Serita Deborah Stevens. It's about different kinds of poisons, so first I read about the most interesting ones, now I'm continuing with the rest of them. Interesting as heck.
Gimme a "P"! Gimme an "I"! Give me a "P" and an "E"! What's that spell?! Pipe!

Call me Ishmael.

Moby Dick by Herman Melville. I love whales.
Wife: sparkleranger78, daughter: feedmechocolate247

[Whip the cream!]

I'm reading Gillian Flynn's Gone girl. Definitely not a genre I'm interested in, but to my surprise I really like this book. Creeps me out.

Objection!

I'm reading a biography about Jane Fonda currently. It's actually pretty interesting.

I love reading biographies about past people and events.
Huh!? Hey! You can't just go saying "pal" like that! That's MY endearing character trait!- Dick Gumshoe

★ I wanna Yabba Dabba Die ★

Reading a few of Shintaro Kago's manga. He's my favorite guro manga artist. So morbid and gross, but I can't stop reading. <3
FacebookKidd & Milky ArtPersonal/18+ Art InstagramArt Merch
Twitter: @miilkyweiPSN: Saebyeog ☆ Switch: SW-6480-0576-7900 ♡
*HMU if you wanna die or request commissions*
Currently (Re)Watching / Playing: Chainsaw Man / Pokemon Scarlet

bOIng!

Ranger's Apprentice: The Burning Bridge once again. I love the series.

I'm reading "Man and his Symbols" by Carl Jung. This guy was brilliant. I understand why he broke with Freud. Because Freud believed he could explain every aspect of the human psyche with sex, and Jung didn't.

I just realized that the entire Persona series is based on Jung. This is why it is so awesome. Even "persona" and "shadow" are concepts created by him, lol. Collective unconscious too. This is what the TV World in Persona 4 represents. It is the collective unconscious.

迷探偵

Chiαki wrote:
Reading a few of Shintaro Kago's manga. He's my favorite guro manga artist. So morbid and gross, but I can't stop reading. <3

I'm not sure whether he still does them, but at least a few years back, he'd do little expositions at local cafes and such, where he'd also show his experimental animation films. Which are at least as weird as his manga. I went to one of them once, and got one of his manga signed. He's also on Twitter by the way, and he often posts art.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

I'm starting on Kathy Reichs' books. Yes, the woman whose books inspired the Bones series.

C-A

I've felt worse.

Everything Wrong
With
The Ables by Jeremy Scott aka Cinemasins' narrator
in 500 words or less
Spoilers!!
(duh...)

Spoiler:
1. Reading.
2. Kid, it probably wasn't a great idea to open the novel by telling us that the talk was the single greatest moment of your life.
3. "I have the force!" Except you can't control people's minds, or shoot lightning.
4. Telling the reader about Phillip's dead granddad only makes it obvious who the mystery villain is.
5. Phillip's dad is a dick for not telling his son he's in a special ed class.
6. Phillip's dad is still a dick for not telling his son that he can't use his powers in the school.
7. Does the school even train the kids with their powers? Since the school is in a no power zone, that implies that any use of the kids' powers happen outside of the school, even though they're supposed to be training their powers.
8. Which makes the SuperSim all the more ridiculous. Let's have 12th graders compete with kids who only recently learned that powers exist.
9. The girls exist in Phillip's class for no reason other than to exist. One of them can control the freaking weather and never uses her powers.
10. For a kid with super-intelligence, Bentley seemed to forget that Custodians have their own set of laws.
11. The only reasons Finch would be in the library were: 1. hope that Phillip hears him first before any of the other students, or 2. set up a sequel hook.
12. Bentley looked up all the old people that were absorbers, but didn't look up all the old people named Finch.
13. Phillip thought it was perfectly OK to blow up someone's truck to try and catch a pretend criminal.
14. Blowing up that truck didn't even help them in catching the pretend criminal.
15. There really wasn't any point to Chad tripping Donnie other than to set up that Chad is a traitor.
16. The editor forgot to put Part 4's title in the header, so instead it's kept at the end of the previous chapter, so there technically isn't a part 4.
17. Dick narrator Phillip purposefully leaves out a huge chunk of his plan to trick the readers into thinking he's a genius.
18. Hero, I am your dead family member cliché.
19. Why is no one trying to stop Finch from detonating an atomic bomb? All the people with powerful powers are suspended in the air, outside of his reach.
20. The meta twist is that Phillip isn't the chosen one. But that begs the question, why did Finch focus on his genes and not any other potential candidates? Like Donnie's? Sure, it's rare to have the same power as a parent, but Donnie's genes were completely unknown.
21. Also, how does it make sense for it to be rare to have the same power as a parent?

Total sins: 21
Sentence: Cleveland

On a serious note, the book was... okay. It had some good ideas, but they're surrounded by plot elements you've probably seen done to death already.
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

Great Revival

I'm rereading the "Gone" series by Micheal :damon: err...I mean Grant.
I loved the concept, but never cared for the parts where romance happens... :scientific: But maybe I'm just wearing Ema's rose tinted glasses when I say it's like the greatest book ever. *takes them off* Now I can't see.

★ I wanna Yabba Dabba Die ★

I'm reading Doubt
FacebookKidd & Milky ArtPersonal/18+ Art InstagramArt Merch
Twitter: @miilkyweiPSN: Saebyeog ☆ Switch: SW-6480-0576-7900 ♡
*HMU if you wanna die or request commissions*
Currently (Re)Watching / Playing: Chainsaw Man / Pokemon Scarlet

Chiαki wrote:
I'm reading Doubt

The one with the rabbit mask killer?

...be prepared to be angrily disappointed. :ron:

C-A

I'm giving Elfen Lied a shot.

...I'm only 7 chapters in and I already stopped caring about anyone or anything in the series due to Darkness Induced Audience Apathy. Well, I'll see after finishing the manga, why peope call this a Cult Classic. :ron:

C-A

Read two days ago the latest chapter of One Piece and the hype is real...STRAWHAT GRAND FLEET. :sparkly-maggey:

[Whip the cream!]

Venus in furs by Leopold Sacher-Masoch. I really enjoy the wordings.

Great Revival

I'm not sure what I'm reading, all the pagers are torn, but it's a picture book and I love it.
I honestly can't be bothered buying any better books right now. :yogi:

I'm reading the manga Monster.

C-A

Great Revival

I thought I'd finally try doing something about my depression, so I went to the library for a book about that.

And on the side I'm reading the Official Case Files Phoenix Wright Volume 2: Miles Edgeworth
Or whatever the title is.
It's too silly, I'm not liking it much.
Edgeworth doesn't just fight bears, as the book says, he only does it on Easter.

Yes, yes, how dare Eva show emotions when her father is de-Wait a second! You guys aren't Japanese! You're German! And we German are absolutely okay with showing emotions, including extreme emotions, at occassions like funerals. Stop acting so Japanese! The only person who has a right to do that is Tenma, not you, Mr German With A German Name I Don't Remember Right Now Becker!

C-A

I'm reading Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.

Gregory... Tomorrow, I'm heading towards that fateful place with your son. To find out the truth of 18 years ago...

[Whip the cream!]

^ Niice.

I'm reading Federico Garcìa Lorca - a life by Ian Gibson. Lorca is my current author-crush, and the book is really interesting. I started reading it five years ago or so, I don't know what came in between because I found it extremely interesting back then, but I didn't finish it, so now I'll read it all.

CatMuto wrote:

C-A

Such an amazing manga. Been reading it since my friend let me borrow the volumes. Still waiting for the others to read.

Junko's Successor wrote:
CatMuto wrote:

C-A

Such an amazing manga. Been reading it since my friend let me borrow the volumes. Still waiting for the others to read.

I gave up after about 6 chapters. Couldn't grip me. And the political side of the hospital bizz sounded stupid. Any sane doctor tells you that the patients get treated in order of EMERGENCY. Bullet lodged in brain sounds much more 'needs to be fixed NOW' than Brain thrombosis. The doctors in that story (aside from the protagonist, who needed to grow balls faster than he did) were all idiots who I do not feel sorry for that they died. And the protagonist wasn't very likeable, either.

C-A

CatMuto wrote:
Junko's Successor wrote:
CatMuto wrote:

C-A

I gave up after about 6 chapters. Couldn't grip me. And the political side of the hospital bizz sounded stupid. Any sane doctor tells you that the patients get treated in order of EMERGENCY. Bullet lodged in brain sounds much more 'needs to be fixed NOW' than Brain thrombosis. The doctors in that story (aside from the protagonist, who needed to grow balls faster than he did) were all idiots who I do not feel sorry for that they died. And the protagonist wasn't very likeable, either.

C-A

You give up way too easily on the most trivial things, Cat xD. The story gets much more better as the chapters progress. The hospital part is only a small portion of it.

Junko's Successor wrote:
You give up way too easily on the most trivial things, Cat xD. The story gets much more better as the chapters progress. The hospital part is only a small portion of it.

I read spoilers. I was looking forward to seeing Johan be a wart on Satan's testicle, but as said - can't like the protagonist. Even if he gets badass later. He still questions his morals when he shouldn't. I know what happens, I just see no reason to waste my time if I know I'm getting a 'disappointing' ending. Besides, if Johan is nothing more than a monster, I doubt he'd be an entertaining villain in the long run - being nothing but pure evil filled with nothing... it's boring.

C-A

CatMuto wrote:
Junko's Successor wrote:

I read spoilers. I was looking forward to seeing Johan be a wart on Satan's testicle, but as said - can't like the protagonist. Even if he gets badass later. He still questions his morals when he shouldn't. I know what happens, I just see no reason to waste my time if I know I'm getting a 'disappointing' ending. Besides, if Johan is nothing more than a monster, I doubt he'd be an entertaining villain in the long run - being nothing but pure evil filled with nothing... it's boring.

C-A

Well he is only human, so of course it is normal to questions ones own morals after all the shit he has went through and seen during his journey to kill Johan. I still haven't finished the ending, so can't disagree or agree with you on that matter. As for Johan, i'm sure he is not simply purely evil. Throughout the story, you see more and more of his true nature.

Junko's Successor wrote:
As for Johan, i'm sure he is not simply purely evil. Throughout the story, you see more and more of his true nature.

Yeah, the fact that he has nothing. What goals he wanted to achieve were achieved by the time he initially appears in the manga, early on. The only reason he killed the doctors was because they were mean to the guy who saved his life. If you think about it, Johan is pitiful cause he has nothing - he has no real goal, nothing to drive him. He's just killing. And some of them, not even for reasons.

Which is why he comes across as boring. He's... just evil. With nothing behind his evil. I'm not saying "Behind his evil is more evil", there's nothing there. And while I don't mind a villain who is, well, evil for no other reason than being evil or cause it's fun, if there is nothing beyond that... it's like the old protagonists in RPGs. They had no personality, no dialogue, they were just a semi-faceless chess-piece that was being moved around. They were just... there. (I'd even be inclined to use Cless from Tales of Phantasia as an example of a boring, interchangeable hero, cause beyond his sense of justice and intense hatred and desire for revenge against Dhaos, there's not much to him)

C-A

I'm reading Koe No Katachi. I already hate everyone, including the teacher, for making fun of the deaf girl. Cause, you know, she's deaf and can't sing. Which is OBVIOUSLY gonna be a problem, what the fuck were they expecting? (And if the manga's goal is to make me HATE every single character, then they've succeeded with just one chapter. No, I do not forgive Shouya for his bullying in elementary school, but given how the teacher was just as much of an asshole, I see no reason to forgive anyone)

C-A

I'm reading the manga Parayste. I'm not sure if I should be disgusted or amused...

C-A

迷探偵

『方言学入門』 (An Introduction to Dialect Studies, 2014) by Kibe et al. Like the title suggest, an introduction to various aspects of the study into Japanese dialects. People who have delved into Japanese linguistics before won't find anything shocking here, though the book does provide a very neat overview of the various subjects within the fields and also refers to a variety of interesting studies into Japanese dialects. It's also fairly diverse, addressing both 'hard' linguistics with the difference in accents of dialects and theories of diffussion of dialects (or the disappearance of), but also looking at dialects from a sociolinguistic point of view. I think that people who want to learn more about Japanese dialects will find this book very helpful, as it's really accessible and gives you pointers for further research.

supercalifragilisticexpialidocious?

Jawetz Medical Microbiology.

It's a hard knock life. :'(

I'll start on The Little Prince after exams. I need a little reality check breather.

As for manga, I currently follow, Assassination Classroom, Shokugeki no Soma, Akatsuki no Yona.

Back in it, hopefully for the better

Right now, I have been reading many books and magazine articles for a research paper for my International Baccaulaureate Program. I've been researching about US and its intervention in Iran's foreign affairs back when Iran had a shah (a king). Also, I have been reading Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky for English. A thick but engrossing read IMO.

If I were to be reading for fun, it'd probably be some Stephen King novel I'd borrow from a friend or the Pokemon Adventures manga. Anyone have a sci-fi manga they'd recommend?
Page 15 of 18 [ 690 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Wright & Co. Law Offices