Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Wright & Co. Law Offices

Page 3 of 4[ 121 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Re: Why do 85% of all fandoms suck?Topic%20Title

「エメラルドスプラッシュ」

The internet is full of people who like to start shit unnecessarily! Fandom is just another opportunity for them to do so.

von Karma stole Alucard's wardrobe!

Firefury Amahira wrote:
Ah, wouldn't be able to tell you, given my experience in this particular fandom is currently limited. Probably the same reasons mentioned above- ease of posting, lack of quality control, and rampant fodder for a breed of fan best described as "the stereotypical scary rabid yaoi fangirl." (No offense to any yaoi/yuri fans that read this- I'm talking about the ones that run around conventions with those stupid "Yaoi paddles" and harass cosplayers to do yaoi poses and spank them with the paddles without permission.)

Hey! I saw someone with a paddle at my one big convention I went to in May. What the hell ARE THOSE FOR? I don't understand!
Play the text adventure where you control the action, like this user:
At any rate, this situation keeps getting weirder all the time. What will you do now?
action>Begin to Chicken Dance

Macbeth wrote:
I had no idea the current Court Records forum sucked. To be honest, it's one of the few places I visit that has a mature atmosphere about it.

Seconded. I'm surprised especially because there appears to be a wide range of ages and we all seem to get along well. Either that or I'm not frequenting the right threads.
At any rate, this situation keeps getting weirder all the time. What will you do now?

OMFG wrote:
I have no problems with pairings and things like that, its when fans get too overzealous in trying to "convert" everybody into their beliefs.

The thing that drives me nuts about pairings is when someone completely pulls a pairing out of their ass AND proceeds to get angry if you say otherwise. If you're going to have some pairing, show some proof!

From the two games I've seen thus far, I can see the Phoenix/Maya and Edgeworth/Fran connection. The game gives you enough hints for it.

Struck by a blunt objection

A.Belmont wrote:
OMFG wrote:
I have no problems with pairings and things like that, its when fans get too overzealous in trying to "convert" everybody into their beliefs.

The thing that drives me nuts about pairings is when someone completely pulls a pairing out of their ass AND proceeds to get angry if you say otherwise. If you're going to have some pairing, show some proof!

From the two games I've seen thus far, I can see the Phoenix/Maya and Edgeworth/Fran connection. The game gives you enough hints for it.

IMO, there isn't any need for actual proof for a pairing. If you want a nice spiffy mature rated fanfiction good comunity time, any wracky pairing will do. It'll both be original AND piss off all the classical supporters. I'll support :gant: / :pearl: alot more than :phoenix: / :edgeworth: or :phoenix: / :maya: to take a random example.

Of course, 'support' is a pretty large word, and for me basicly only covers what I think would be hillarious and/or potential hentai material. :gant:

And for bashing pairings... well, I hate :franny: / :adrian: because I hate the characters, and I equally hate self-inclusions in characters. Creating a fan character to have a relationship with one just isn't good enough. It's not even good at all. It's bad. And nobody cares about a fictional fictional character, right?

Last edited by Mikker on Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

For some people, pairings are serious business. They believe the whole world depends upon the relationship of two fictional characters. Therefore, these people feel the need to make everyone see the light on why their pairing is better than all overs.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a pairing nut myself, but I really don't give a flying fuck what others' preferences are. Yes, I've even pulled pairings out of my ass, even crossover pairings (I've done Eminem/Masaka, Eazy-E/Mia and Eazy-E/Maya. All of them came from MSN RPs...)

@Macbeth: I don't think the current Court Records sucks. It still has a much better atmosphere than other forums I've been to. However, don't think it's all peaceful. I have heard of beef between other users (it happens. However, I try to avoid beef wherever possible)
I yell "OBJECTION!" in the court sometimes!

Am I your wild-type?

A.Belmont wrote:

THAT is a matter of how you view it. I personally did not see any hints to those pairnigs you mentioned. And I'm not the only one who claims that, either.

I'm aware my OTP isn't canon and never will be. I just like it. *shrug* But when people are tyring to claim their OTP's canon (when it isn't, either. Especially in this series.) drives me just as nuts.

But like Ami said... In fandoms, some people just want to start shit.. x_x

P.S. - Edit your posts next time. Your triple posting disturbed me....

myg0t: A good example of people who love to start shit.

Due to a certain degree of anonymity over the internet, some don't feel as morally obligated to others as they do in real life. In short, even nice people can be real assholes online.

「エメラルドスプラッシュ」

So I'd say the problem isn't fandom, but humanity in general... There's vast quantities of twits, assholes, jerks, bitches, and other undesirable personages who love clinging to untenable positions and assuring the unhappiness of everyone around them. Not to mention annoying the fuck out of you.

You'll encounter that wherever you go... It's unfortunate, but it gives life variety.

spr fckn srs peepz

Chinese Infantry wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I'm a pairing nut myself, but I really don't give a flying fuck what others' preferences are. Yes, I've even pulled pairings out of my ass, even crossover pairings (I've done Eminem/Masaka, Eazy-E/Mia and Eazy-E/Maya. All of them came from MSN RPs...)

...were the Mia/Maya ones masturbation pairings?
http://vanderlund.blogspot.com - Because the only fantasy worlds I like are those I write myself.

Paddy O'Reily O'Shwartzenburg

Fandoms are collections of people with no social skills suddenly tossed together, combined with biases, prejudices, and the need for everyone to think like everyone else. They're also the home of elitists who think that being somewhere longer = seniority over other members.

Basically Fandoms are the effect of nerds collecting in one spot. Conventions are even worse, but are basically just houses for fandom combustion.

Just another fangirl...

Location: A land of fires, mudslides, and the occasional earthquake

Kenjimurasame wrote:
Basically Fandoms are the effect of nerds collecting in one spot. Conventions are even worse, but are basically just houses for fandom combustion.

Having gone to Anime Expo for the past nine years, I can't say that's been my experience. Maybe purely sci-fi or comic cons are like that, but for the most part with only a handful of glaring exceptions the people I've encountered under convention circumstances have been enthusiastic but mostly reasonable.

I think it's in part because at a convention, it's real life and you don't have that mask of annonymity that you do on the Net. Sure, you may never see some of these people ever again, but the fact they are real, living people cancels out some of the fandom crap that's on the Net.

And most of the glaring exceptions have been 14 year old girls with yaoi paddles and hyped up on caffeine and lack of sleep :edgeworth: As for the paddles, I'm not sure how they came to be, but I would hazard it has to do with some sort of spanking fetish that may be prevalent in some aspects of yaoi fandom. And the way some people use the paddles at conventions isn't just obnoxious, it's bad parenting. (Seriously, if I ran up and cracked somebody across the ass like I've seen happen, my mother would have kicked my ass from here to next Sunday!)
"Violence is the last resort of the intelligent, and the first resort of the incompetant." -FFA

e × e = e²

So... "yuri fist" counterattack is a go? :D
ImageImageImageImageImage

Paddy O'Reily O'Shwartzenburg

Firefury Amahira wrote:
Kenjimurasame wrote:

Having gone to Anime Expo for the past nine years, I can't say that's been my experience. Maybe purely sci-fi or comic cons are like that, but for the most part with only a handful of glaring exceptions the people I've encountered under convention circumstances have been enthusiastic but mostly reasonable.

I think it's in part because at a convention, it's real life and you don't have that mask of annonymity that you do on the Net. Sure, you may never see some of these people ever again, but the fact they are real, living people cancels out some of the fandom crap that's on the Net.

And most of the glaring exceptions have been 14 year old girls with yaoi paddles and hyped up on caffeine and lack of sleep :edgeworth: As for the paddles, I'm not sure how they came to be, but I would hazard it has to do with some sort of spanking fetish that may be prevalent in some aspects of yaoi fandom. And the way some people use the paddles at conventions isn't just obnoxious, it's bad parenting. (Seriously, if I ran up and cracked somebody across the ass like I've seen happen, my mother would have kicked my ass from here to next Sunday!)

Considering those people attend every convention in recent memory, it's got nothing to do with it being just an 'exception.'

Between them, the people who yell out internet memes, and horrendously unwashed masses of people, that's a bit more than an exception. Granted, what you do personally at a con doesn't really affect the whole--you can have fun even near people who smell bad and wave around yaoi paddles.

MoronSonOfBoron wrote:

Do Yaoi Paddles snap in half easily?

If not, then yeah, I'll write "Yuri" on my first and punch back...

「エメラルドスプラッシュ」

MoronSonOfBoron wrote:

You've just made my day, sir. :redd: Sure, I love yaoi, but I would never dream of smacking people with yaoi paddles and yelling obscenities unless it was solicited by the person I'm interacting with. In the same way, I really hate getting randomly groped by Miroku. For God's sake, ask before you sexually harass someone. >_<

Tajiri Ami wrote:
The internet is full of people who like to start shit unnecessarily! Fandom is just another opportunity for them to do so.

Quoted for stating the truth.

Chinese Infantry wrote:
myg0t: A good example of people who love to start shit.

Due to a certain degree of anonymity over the internet, some don't feel as morally obligated to others as they do in real life. In short, even nice people can be real assholes online.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19

I believe your theory.

Yeah, I'm totally watching you.

Ya know, I like this topic.

Also, these days, whenever I think that this particular message board's gone too far down the tubes, I just spend a few minutes on GameFAQ's Ace Attorney game boards. That always makes me feel better.

(Hmmm... I think I'm the first person in this thread to mention GFAQs. New can of worms go go go!)
And don't you n00bs forget it! (comic courtesy of Brevity.)

Just another fangirl...

Chinese Infantry wrote:
Do Yaoi Paddles snap in half easily?

If not, then yeah, I'll write "Yuri" on my first and punch back...

They make yuri paddles as well. And ones for uke and seme. It's just the yaoi ones are the most popular.

As for snapping, they appear to be made from a fairly cheap wood. I've seen a girl hit somebody across the rear hard enough to break the paddle once or twice. I don't think punching it would be a good idea, but you could easily snap it across your leg or something.

I acquired a heavy cardstock halisen that reads "Yaoi exorcist" on it. It don't hurt more than just a slight sting if you whack somebody with it, and it makes a very loud, very pleasing "WHOMP" sound on impact. I still wouldn't actually whack somebody without permission though. :yuusaku:

As for Gamefaqs... any theories on WHY their forums are so full of suck? It's not just the Ace Attorney one, either. The Boktai/Lunar Knights one is pretty crummy, as are any others I've checked out due to morbid curiousity. Average age of users being far lower than most forums? System of moderation perhaps?
"Violence is the last resort of the intelligent, and the first resort of the incompetant." -FFA

Just for you Baki. can you marry me now?

I find it funny how far this topic has strayed.....

DSL, thanks for that advice. I'll have to try that sometime.

>_>

Quote:
Why do 85% of all fandoms suck?

Because 85% of all fandoms are filled with idiots who take fiction too seriously.

@A.Belmont: Why triple post when there's an Edit button right there? :gumshoe:

Last edited by KitsuneBerry on Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

stirring

Quote:
System of moderation perhaps?

Gamefaqs has the most retarded mods ever. Basically, they have no opinion. If your post somehow violates the Terms of Service (which are basically written so unless you post like a Care Bear, you're out), they will not take their own opinion into consideration, only the fact that it can constitute as offensive to 1/60000 people matters. And by that, I mean honestly. You can counter moderations and keep appealing to higher and higher ranked mods, and I've done it a few times, a couple ended up in the admins hands.

My favorite moderation that never got refuted was when I made a parody thread, making fun of these topics where people post moderations and talk about how unfair they are. Well, apparently, my thread was offensive, despite how it included no personal attacks or anything remotely violating the crappy ToS. After taking it up with a couple of different mods it went to the Admin. His response?

It was offensive to the people that got moderations.

Jesus christ I fucking hate Gamefaqs.
If you come across an older post of mine, sowwy

Prufursurnkfa fushcatchurrr

DSL-69 wrote:
Ya know, I like this topic.

Also, these days, whenever I think that this particular message board's gone too far down the tubes, I just spend a few minutes on GameFAQ's Ace Attorney game boards. That always makes me feel better.

(Hmmm... I think I'm the first person in this thread to mention GFAQs. New can of worms go go go!)

To quote someone of their own boards:
"Welcome to GameFAQs boards, the armpit of the internet!"

seems interesting!

Gamefaqs owns if you find a board where nobody marks things.

Ugh, gamefaq more like gamefags amirite? Just kidding but the only thing I go there for is the pokedex faq for D.P

I still need to find me a Slowpoke
mother of the year~

Comfy and easy to wear.

I've found that the bigger the fandom, the crappier it is.
Because even if the ratio of sensible people : idiots or good fanfiction : crap fanfiction remains the same, the idiots are always louder and more obvious, so it takes just too much time to wade through the crap and find anything good, you know? And by the time you do, your eyes will have been burnt from thier sockets, rendering the whole excercise useless.

I've found Harry Potter, FVII and Naruto to be the worst for this.

The most badly fangirled fandom I've come across (bear in mind I make a point of ususally avoiding them) is Fruits Basket, which is full of terrible characterization, fangirl Japanese (I've seen about three people who can assign the correct honorific to the right person. Of about 30897408743 people.) and fanfiction that is totally inacurrate because the writer never read past the end of the anime.
Spoiler: Fruits Basket
Akito is a GIRL, people.

The worst place for OC fanfiction that I've found is Azumanga Daioh. I think the rationale behind this may be "Azuma didn't write any male characters into the show! We'll correct that for him! :D"

From my experience, the PW fandom is rather nice. Of course there are idiots, but there are fewer of them than there seem (the idiots are always the loudest and the ones everyone notices most). I don't think the PW fans have much to complain about, given the state of other fandoms... though it might be a matter of time.

Desert rose, why do you live alone?

zuddha wrote:
Gamefaqs owns if you find a board where nobody marks things.

There is ONE board like that, and even has a small amount of dumbasses that seem to populate the rest of GF...but I can't tell you what it is. :sawit:

seems interesting!

there's several. you're just not looking.

俺の黄金の魔女

Quote:
As for the paddles, I'm not sure how they came to be, but I would hazard it has to do with some sort of spanking fetish that may be prevalent in some aspects of yaoi fandom.

Not that I know of. They're just...paddles. Most of the ways I've seen them used have been in props for cosplay photos, but I don't doubt that people have been smacked by them, even though I've never seen it. As long as they're not being used to assault people, I have no issue with them or the people that carry them around.

Quote:
And the way some people use the paddles at conventions isn't just obnoxious, it's bad parenting.

Conventions are the only places you can buy the paddles. That's why you always see so many of them there and why parenting probably doesn't really enter into it.

Personally speaking, I don't begrudge fangirls at cons--again, as long as they aren't actually smacking people--and this is speaking as someone who had to stand in front of a mob of veeeeery loud ones to get into AX for three hours one year.

I don't know...when I go to a con, I love watching people having fun. For a lot of these girls, this is probably the only time they get to go a little crazy over something they love. While that doesn't excuse bad behavior, getting a little giggly or loud never bothered me; they'll grow out of it. I can always move. I get more annoyed when I see adults reading BL porn in public places. There are kids around, people. Wait until you get back to your room.

Also, RE: "yuri as an antidote". Yuri fanboys and fangirls can be just as crazy. I really wish people wouldn't pit the two genres against one another like one is the cure for the other bad one. I enjoy both, and actually ended up picking up more girl/girl stuff at Comicon this year than I did BL.

Am I your wild-type?

musouka wrote:
Also, RE: "yuri as an antidote". Yuri fanboys and fangirls can be just as crazy. I really wish people wouldn't pit the two genres against one another like one is the cure for the other bad one. I enjoy both, and actually ended up picking up more girl/girl stuff at Comicon this year than I did BL.

Quoted for truth.

Ok, ok, I won't write Yuri on my fist and use it to attack a rabid Yaoi fangirl. Didn't feel like wiping marker off of it afterwards anyways.

In all seriousness, I'll admit that sometimes, I'm a bit....overzealous in my fanboyism of Yuri. (hell, why else would I have "Yuri King" as a custom title?) However, in all honestly, if you are a Yaoi fan, I won't hate you for it. Hell, I'm friends with some Yaoi fans myself.

I've never actually been to a convention myself, so I can't say anything about immature fangirls and fanboys there. However, hearing about people being forced to pose in poses against their will due to some person with a paddle bothers me to no end. It's one thing if they actually want to do it. I'm cool with that. However, if they tell you no the first time and you continue to persuade, you deserve to have your paddle snapped in half and thrown into a fire...

Desert rose, why do you live alone?

Every time I see the word "paddle", I keep thinking of Weeaboo.

Just another fangirl...

Chinese Infantry wrote:
However, if they tell you no the first time and you continue to persuade, you deserve to have your paddle snapped in half and thrown into a fire...

Quoted for truth! :edgy:

Like with fandom in general, I think it's a very noisy minority of idiots/jerks/etc that give the rest a bad rep. I'm friends with some rabid yaoi fans in various fandoms- we disagree over ships in fandoms we share, of course, but there's that element of mutual respect too. I don't try and ram my favorite straight pairings down their throat, they don't ram their favorite yaoi pairings down mine.

As for the parenting, even at a convention parenting plays a role, if not an immediate one. Several of these teenage girls I see harassing people for yaoi poses or paddling without permission should know better. Didn't their parents teach them basic MANNERS? (God, I must be sounding old or something right now.) Squeals and giggles are fine, the atmosphere is charged, everybody's hyperactive, etc. I freely admit to doing my fair share of fangirl "SQUEE!"ing (though mine's been over particularly lucky deals on Gundam models or something, not cosplayers/guests of honor.) But I always ask permission before doing anything, even if it's just taking a picture of a particularly cool costume.

When I'm the one in costume, I'll humor a lot of people about poses. If, say, I was wearing my Kenshin costume, and somebody asked nicely for a yaoi pose with, say, a Sanosuke cosplayer, I'd be willing to do a yaoi-fodder hugging pose. (No fake-out make-outs though.) Hell, next year when I cosplay Franziska, I don't doubt I'll be asked for yuri poses if there's an Adrian cosplayer at the gathering. So long as they ask nicely and don't want anything too insane, I'll do it.

Now, if they're toting paddles and come running up shrieking "OMG FRAN AND ADRIAN MAKE OUT NOW!" (Seen "requests" like that of cosplayers at cons before.), they're getting told that I refuse to humor the foolishness of foolish fools with foolish manners. If they continue to press the issue.... Well, I do know how to use a whip. :franny:

俺の黄金の魔女

I think I must be going to the wrong cons. ^^;; But, yes, trying to pressure someone into doing anything is wrong. If you feel uncomfortable, a firm no should suffice, absolutely.

But all sorts of bad behavior goes on at cons. As I said, I've never seen anyone smacked with the paddles that didn't, err, want to be smacked, but I HAVE seen men stealthily groping cosplaying women more than once when they thought no one was looking. It's a sad fact of human nature that people will try to get away with things if they think they can.

If squealing wasn't allowed, I'd be in very bad shape indeed. I flipped out like a little girl over my Code Geass keychain, Captain Harlock figurine set, and my 1/35th scale Lancelot model--that one I actually started shaking over, I was so thrilled to find it. (Keeping in mind I've never even put together a Gundam kit before, so I'm kind of staring at it right now, wondering what on Earth I've gotten myself into...)

Just another fangirl...

Heh, haven't ever been groped in costume, though it was odd when I cosplayed Lina Inverse from Slayers- I had a lot of women asking if they could hug me. I would have expected that from guys, but... *shrugs* Got me. The one time I cosplayed a character that I think would have gotten me groped (Rain Mikamura from G Gundam, yay short short skirt!), I was in the company of a seven foot, four inch tall Gundam cosplayer, which might have scared the pervs off. :edgy: And the amount of makeup I had on (and the guitar I could smash heads in with) probably kept the hands off me in my Ember McLain costume.

My friend Master Zero was a victim of a "run-by paddling" at Anime Expo last year. The paddles have been such a recurring problem at Anime Expo that MikomiCon (a small con I work staff for) has a strict policy regarding smacking people with things. And since it's a small con, it's much easier for staff to keep an eye out and sic security on violators.

As for model kits... good luck! I've got a 4 foot high stack of kits I still need to build :nick-sweat:

「エメラルドスプラッシュ」

Yeah, squeals don't bug me, but unsolicited physicality... That's not cool. Groping = Harassment, you would-be Mirokus and alchemists.

spr fckn srs peepz

Chinese Infantry wrote:
I've never actually been to a convention myself, so I can't say anything about immature fangirls and fanboys there. However, hearing about people being forced to pose in poses against their will due to some person with a paddle bothers me to no end. It's one thing if they actually want to do it. I'm cool with that. However, if they tell you no the first time and you continue to persuade, you deserve to have your paddle snapped in half and thrown into a fire...

These people are why I dread going to a convention myself. First of all, I don't like anime. I like particular animated series that happen to have been made in Japan. The distinction is small, but it's there.
http://vanderlund.blogspot.com - Because the only fantasy worlds I like are those I write myself.

~\m/PROWRESLOVE\m/~

Chinese Infantry wrote:

I've been a regular at my local convention, SacAnime, for as long as I can remember. Maybe it's just the bigger cons (SacAnime is still kinda small, but getting bigger), but I've never seen anything immature from the con-goers. Sure, you do see the weeabooish person a lot, but my general rule is "I don't bother them, and they don't bother me." As for "paddling" and posing, I've never seen anyone get hit with a paddle because SacAnime has a strict rule against that kind of stuff, so it's mostly just for decoration. And posing against your will is something that was addressed during last time's "Con Etiquette" panel.

Right way: "Hi, I really like your cosplay. Could I have a picture? And if you don't mind, could you do this kind of pose? Thank you!"
Wrong way: "Hi, I really like your cosplay. Could I have a picture? OMFGMAKEOUTWITHHIMDOAYAOIPOSEPLZPLZPLZOMGYAOIPOSEOMGYAY"
And it's so easy when you're evil...This is the life, you see. The Devil tips his hat to me.
Neither my sig or avatar are PW related...I feel so out of place. ;__;

Just another fangirl...

TehKTness wrote:
I've been a regular at my local convention, SacAnime, for as long as I can remember. Maybe it's just the bigger cons (SacAnime is still kinda small, but getting bigger), but I've never seen anything immature from the con-goers.

Smaller cons I think tend to have better behaved attendees, to be honest. Maybe because everyone is less annonymous or something. But at big cons like Anime Expo (I think they've topped 40,000 attendees each year for the past several), it's very easy to hide in the crowd after doing something obnoxious... maybe a variety of the Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory applied to real world circumstances.

Everyone at every small con I've been to has been awesome- MikomiCon, Ani-Magic, Pacific Media Expo... smaller cons with smaller staffs, but generally very well-behaved nerds. (Who know how to bathe regularly!) But then, the big cons have more publicity, and so may be attracting a larger percentage of weeabos than the smaller cons that rely more on word of mouth publicity.
Page 3 of 4 [ 121 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Wright & Co. Law Offices