Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Wright & Co. Law Offices

Page 5 of 39[ 1532 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 39  Next
 


Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Posts: 9767

You know what really grinds my gears? Any talk of "playing God" in medical dramas.

Every medical drama does it at least once, a doctor or even a nurse, does something that results in a patient's death or in their prolonged living, somehow counting it as unethical. They indirectly or directly gave a patient the lethal dosage of Morphine or something like that, having them die without pain or similar.
And everybody says, "It's wrong! You can't do that, you don't dictate who lives and who dies! You are not God, stop playing God!"

Which pisses me off because doctors always play God! Yeah, you know that CPR you do or the defibrillator you use on a patient whose heart has stopped, prescribe some pills against something or anything... you're playing God! You are going against the "natural" way of things. That guy's heart stopped, you do CPR, you're playing God by attempting to prevent his death.

I'm not saying doctors shouldn't use "heroic measures" to help their patients, unless they have a DNR signed and sealed. Just stop giving us this bullshit about "playing God".

C-A
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?βTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:58 am

Posts: 833

/\

Couldn't agree more with this.

Another thing that bothers me is people with the following kind of mentality: "Patient survived? Thank you God, you helped. Patient died? Screw you, incompetent doctor".

Last edited by Thelema on Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?βTopic%20Title
User avatar

Infinite Ammo? Try INFINITE GUNS!

Gender: Male

Location: A land of ignorance and fear.

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:30 pm

Posts: 14032

Eh whether they live or die you could say it was part of God's Master plan anyway. Time Travel is probably the only real way of playing God.
Made by Chesu+Zombee
Image

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?βTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:58 am

Posts: 833

Pierre wrote:
Eh whether they live or die you could say it was part of God's Master plan anyway.


But giving God all the merits if a patient survives and blaming the docs if someone dies is kinda.. uh.. unfair?
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?βTopic%20Title

Gender: None specified

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:44 pm

Posts: 1410

dangerousoffender wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Eh whether they live or die you could say it was part of God's Master plan anyway.


But giving God all the merits if a patient survives and blaming the docs if someone dies is kinda.. uh.. unfair?


Which is another reason why I'm an atheist. I also hate it when people around me "pray" so they can do stupid things like pass tests or score goals. Yeah, because an all-powerful God that can't even feed starving children in third world countries is seriously going to help an upper-middle class white person get a good score. Another thing that makes my blood boil is when fundamentalist Christians tell you to not do perfectly natural and healthy things like sex. If you want to get a sense of how stupid the whole thing is, just look at this picture in perspective. I've put it in spoiler tags because it's LONG.
Spoiler: Remember...
Image
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?βTopic%20Title
User avatar

Magic Key

Gender: Male

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:29 am

Posts: 6

You know what really grinds my gears?
People that refuse to believe that others have the same troubles as them and get hostile if you say they're not the only one in the world that are, let's say, depressed. It seems that they are proud of having problems, and always want the most of problems in the world. E.g. people that get mad if you say a lot more people are depressed but not everybody keeps pestering about it. They seem to love troublesome stuff just so they can brag about it.
And that is what really grinds my gears.
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?βTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:58 am

Posts: 833

TopHatProfessor1014 wrote:
Which is another reason why I'm an atheist. I also hate it when people around me "pray" so they can do stupid things like pass tests or score goals. Yeah, because an all-powerful God that can't even feed starving children in third world countries is seriously going to help an upper-middle class white person get a good score. Another thing that makes my blood boil is when fundamentalist Christians tell you to not do perfectly natural and healthy things like sex. If you want to get a sense of how stupid the whole thing is, just look at this picture in perspective. I've put it in spoiler tags because it's LONG.
Spoiler: Remember...
Image


I always had problems with religion, but lately I'm trying to put this matter aside on my social circles and avoid discussions about this. Most of the time, it doesn't get anywhere. Many people I know say they "believe in God" without following dogmas and religion and I don't have anything against that. Damn, my "catholic" friend talks about sex naturally and supports gay rights. The only thing I really despise is people trying to mix their personal religious views with politics or religious leaders taking advantage of brainless believers. And this happens A LOT over here, specially amongst Evangelists -- things like "churchman promised to believer piece of heaven in exchange of R$ 2.000"

CormagMHFU wrote:
You know what really grinds my gears?
People that refuse to believe that others have the same troubles as them and get hostile if you say they're not the only one in the world that are, let's say, depressed. It seems that they are proud of having problems, and always want the most of problems in the world. E.g. people that get mad if you say a lot more people are depressed but not everybody keeps pestering about it. They seem to love troublesome stuff just so they can brag about it.
And that is what really grinds my gears.


I don't disagree entirely - as I stated here before, it's ridiculous when depressed people think they have exclusive rights because of their condition. But I'd never say to a depressed person "you're not the only one" in an attempt to comfort he/she. Even between depressed people, there are huge differences between the trigger factor that led them to their current mental state. These people need to understand and deal with the roots of their problems, not find consolation with the knowledge that there's more fucked up people in the world.
...Although, some depressed people I've met really think that they're enlightened and they are depressed because they achieved holy wisdom (inaccessible to mere mortals)
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?βTopic%20Title

Gender: None specified

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:44 pm

Posts: 1410

Quote:
I always had problems with religion, but lately I'm trying to put this matter aside on my social circles and avoid discussions about this. Most of the time, it doesn't get anywhere. Many people I know say they "believe in God" without following dogmas and religion and I don't have anything against that. Damn, my "catholic" friend talks about sex naturally and supports gay rights. The only thing I really despise is people trying to mix their personal religious views with politics or religious leaders taking advantage of brainless believers. And this happens A LOT over here, specially amongst Evangelists -- things like "churchman promised to believer piece of heaven in exchange of R$ 2.000"


You could also call me an anti-theist as well because I really hate religion and all the harm it's caused for the world. And yes, I know that not all Christians and other religious folk aren't bad people for the most part, it's the BELIEF that I hate and how it affects everyone else. If you want to believe in God or follow a religion, I don't really care. But when it starts affecting other people's well-being and takes away the rights of others that's when I draw the line. Gay people still don't have rights in America and sex is viewed as a taboo subject just because a bunch of old Christian fundamentalist men and women run our government. We're supposed to be a secular nation with religion out of politics, but that's obviously not the case here. Unfortunately, these politicians want nothing short of a Christian theocracy.

And another thing of religion is that it takes advantage of people like you said. Many people use it as a crutch, and that makes them easily exploited. It also causes people to do awful things or justifies their own bigoted views. And I just get angrier and angrier of religion day by day as I see the stupidity around me. I don't want to live on this planet any more. Or at the very least, in America. :yuusaku:
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?βTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:58 am

Posts: 833

TopHatProfessor1014 wrote:
Quote:
I always had problems with religion, but lately I'm trying to put this matter aside on my social circles and avoid discussions about this. Most of the time, it doesn't get anywhere. Many people I know say they "believe in God" without following dogmas and religion and I don't have anything against that. Damn, my "catholic" friend talks about sex naturally and supports gay rights. The only thing I really despise is people trying to mix their personal religious views with politics or religious leaders taking advantage of brainless believers. And this happens A LOT over here, specially amongst Evangelists -- things like "churchman promised to believer piece of heaven in exchange of R$ 2.000"


You could also call me an anti-theist as well because I really hate religion and all the harm it's caused for the world. And yes, I know that not all Christians and other religious folk aren't bad people for the most part, it's the BELIEF that I hate and how it affects everyone else. If you want to believe in God or follow a religion, I don't really care. But when it starts affecting other people's well-being and takes away the rights of others that's when I draw the line. Gay people still don't have rights in America and sex is viewed as a taboo subject just because a bunch of old Christian fundamentalist men and women run our government. We're supposed to be a secular nation with religion out of politics, but that's obviously not the case here. Unfortunately, these politicians want nothing short of a Christian theocracy.

And another thing of religion is that it takes advantage of people like you said. Many people use it as a crutch, and that makes them easily exploited. It also causes people to do awful things or justifies their own bigoted views. And I just get angrier and angrier of religion day by day as I see the stupidity around me. I don't want to live on this planet any more. Or at the very least, in America. :yuusaku:


I understand how you feel, but you're aware that your views can offend many open-minded believers, right? I used to attack religion in any means I could a few years ago, but it didn't end up well for me and I regret that today. I'm still an activist against religious influences in political decisions and I can relate to your aversion to conservatism, since you're american and overall, U.S. conservatism is all about homophobia, love for war, sexism and authoritarianism. However, some people believe in God without pushing their beliefs on others and some theists don't even follow religious institutions. For that reason, I think that "hating the belief" is a bit radical. I hate some religious dogmas, but I don't hate the faith in God per se.
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?βTopic%20Title
User avatar

In Justice We Trust

Gender: Male

Location: Southern California

Rank: Admin

Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:31 pm

Posts: 4090

I know this is supposed to be a topic about things that really bother us, but please be careful when discussing religion and politics, okay?
Image
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?βTopic%20Title

Gender: None specified

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:44 pm

Posts: 1410

Quote:
I understand how you feel, but you're aware that your views can offend many open-minded believers, right? I used to attack religion in any means I could a few years ago, but it didn't end up well for me and I regret that today. I'm still an activist against religious influences in political decisions and I can relate to your aversion to conservatism, since you're american and overall, U.S. conservatism is all about homophobia, love for war, sexism and authoritarianism. However, some people believe in God without pushing their beliefs on others and some theists don't even follow religious institutions. For that reason, I think that "hating the belief" is a bit radical. I hate some religious dogmas, but I don't hate the faith in God per se.


I've continued this discussion via PM. Check your inbox.
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?βTopic%20Title
User avatar

aka Ami <3

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 5:13 pm

Posts: 1694

You know what really grinds my gears?

Learning to draw. I mean, if just anyone could do amazing works of art, it wouldn't be considered a skill or profession, but... I'm just so frustrated. I got my tablet last x-mas, but... it's October, and my art has improved, but nowhere near the level of professionalism I feel comfortable with. I look at Brawl in the Family, Questionable Content, Shotgun Shuffle, Girly, and other such webcomics where the art style gets better as it goes on, but I don't see myself improving at any such rate (even the Questionable Content guy got better faster than this!). I mean, I know they have natural talent, but some of it had to be taught, right?

I've seen my college contemporaries take art classes, but those require a skill that comes from years of fostered talent. I still have many issues with perspective, basic anatomy, consistency, etc.
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?βTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Posts: 9767

I know the feeling. If I look at my drawings from a good five years ago, I see that I have improved. But over the last few months, it seems my art has stayed the same way. And I don't even have a tablet to work on (well not yet. I just ordered one) I wouldn't say the art is ALL talent, some of it is patience, years of experience and tons of trying.

For anatomy, my best suggestion would be to buy an anatomy doll for artists. Breaks the body down into simple shapes. And I can tell that using that years ago has really helped, because now when I want to draw a pose, I try to imagine how the balls and lines (joints and "bones") would look in the simple shape, draw that and can do the pose.
Beforehand, I tried to do poses freehand... ho boy...

C-A
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?βTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:58 am

Posts: 833

You know what really grinds my gears? When someone makes a comparison between you and some random person talking about how amazing said person is and thinking that you'll change your behavior because of this. Okay, someone doesn't act this way, but I do, so fuck them and fuck you too.
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?βTopic%20Title
User avatar

How ironic

Gender: Male

Location: Canada, eh?

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:05 pm

Posts: 1933

You know what grinds my gears? People on the internet who use the word "Autistic" as an insult. I'm Autistic, and I find this incredibly offensive, as there are just as many high functioning autistic people as there are low functioning autistic people. Look at the Nostalgia Critic, he made an autistic joke and had to remove it because it was too offensive, and considering the stuff he normally talks about, that says something. It reminds me, recently in Canada where I'm from, a family was kicked out of their condo because of the noise their autistic child was making. Before that, a mother of a different autistic boy received a letter signed "one pissed off mother" which told them to get rid of their, quote, "wild animal kid", and how they should, quote, "donate what non retarded boy parts he has to science, as what else good is he to anyone". The letter even said that they should euthanize the boy! Stuff like that really gets my blood boiling.
My let's Play channel! Shameless plug!
Current Project: Sly Cooper & The Thievius Racoonus
My Twitter Account
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?βTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Posts: 9767

Quote:
Look at the Nostalgia Critic, he made an autistic joke and had to remove it because it was too offensive, and considering the stuff he normally talks about, that says something.


I personally didn't think the joke was that offensive, but then I am the type of person who gladly laughs at other people's mental or physical problems, racist jokes, sexist jokes, etc, etc - I have Asperger's myself and we have Bipolarity in the family, yet I would make jokes or laugh at it.

But as for what the Critic usually talks about, well, I feel like he's trying too hard to not sound like a dick. He's all about empowering women and feels like he has to make absolutely sure that if he says anything somehow related to women, that he in no way means that as a sexist thing. Or even a racist thing when talking about whites or blacks. Or even in The Wiz review, saying that his previous comment does not in any way make fun of Schumacher's sexual orientation.

Heck, look at the joke he did about Mako's voice, where he thinks the voice just didn't work for Splinter. People went nuts about that! Why? It was a joke! He wasn't saying anything against the guy himself, he just said that he didn't think the voice suited Splinter.
So he made a smoking joke and Mako actually died of throat cancer... who gives a fuck?

C-A
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?βTopic%20Title

Gender: None specified

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:44 pm

Posts: 1410

Quote:
I personally didn't think the joke was that offensive, but then I am the type of person who gladly laughs at other people's mental or physical problems, racist jokes, sexist jokes, etc, etc - I have Asperger's myself and we have Bipolarity in the family, yet I would make jokes or laugh at it.

But as for what the Critic usually talks about, well, I feel like he's trying too hard to not sound like a dick. He's all about empowering women and feels like he has to make absolutely sure that if he says anything somehow related to women, that he in no way means that as a sexist thing. Or even a racist thing when talking about whites or blacks. Or even in The Wiz review, saying that his previous comment does not in any way make fun of Schumacher's sexual orientation.

Heck, look at the joke he did about Mako's voice, where he thinks the voice just didn't work for Splinter. People went nuts about that! Why? It was a joke! He wasn't saying anything against the guy himself, he just said that he didn't think the voice suited Splinter.
So he made a smoking joke and Mako actually died of throat cancer... who gives a fuck?

C-A


Tell that to the bastards at my high school who got me suspended in my freshmen year. They heard me say things out of context or took me too seriously, and I ended up suffering from it. They told the principal that I wanted to do things like rape and kill people. It really destroyed me and I felt miserable for months. I still feel it to this very day. It just proves to me that there's no such thing as justice or fairness. It's all about pure chance and the right circumstances. There are parasitic assholes at my school who are a hundred times worse and have done way worse things, yet nothing happens to them. But with a decent, average person like me; I'm the one who gets the shaft. I didn't do a damn thing, yet I was the one who got suspended.
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?βTopic%20Title
User avatar

Infinite Ammo? Try INFINITE GUNS!

Gender: Male

Location: A land of ignorance and fear.

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:30 pm

Posts: 14032

dimentiorules wrote:
You know what grinds my gears? People on the internet who use the word "Autistic" as an insult. I'm Autistic, and I find this incredibly offensive, as there are just as many high functioning autistic people as there are low functioning autistic people. Look at the Nostalgia Critic, he made an autistic joke and had to remove it because it was too offensive, and considering the stuff he normally talks about, that says something. It reminds me, recently in Canada where I'm from, a family was kicked out of their condo because of the noise their autistic child was making. Before that, a mother of a different autistic boy received a letter signed "one pissed off mother" which told them to get rid of their, quote, "wild animal kid", and how they should, quote, "donate what non retarded boy parts he has to science, as what else good is he to anyone". The letter even said that they should euthanize the boy! Stuff like that really gets my blood boiling.


Man that sounds awful, couldn't they report them to human rights for that? Or the police? It could qualify as a threatening letter I'd think.
Made by Chesu+Zombee
Image

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?βTopic%20Title

Gender: None specified

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:44 pm

Posts: 1410

Pierre wrote:
dimentiorules wrote:
You know what grinds my gears? People on the internet who use the word "Autistic" as an insult. I'm Autistic, and I find this incredibly offensive, as there are just as many high functioning autistic people as there are low functioning autistic people. Look at the Nostalgia Critic, he made an autistic joke and had to remove it because it was too offensive, and considering the stuff he normally talks about, that says something. It reminds me, recently in Canada where I'm from, a family was kicked out of their condo because of the noise their autistic child was making. Before that, a mother of a different autistic boy received a letter signed "one pissed off mother" which told them to get rid of their, quote, "wild animal kid", and how they should, quote, "donate what non retarded boy parts he has to science, as what else good is he to anyone". The letter even said that they should euthanize the boy! Stuff like that really gets my blood boiling.


Man that sounds awful, couldn't they report them to human rights for that? Or the police? It could qualify as a threatening letter I'd think.


I'm not sure what the laws are like in Canada, but you could definitely have a report of human rights violations based on this. Being kicked out of one's own home because of their autistic child sounds like it could lead to a lawsuit.
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?βTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:58 am

Posts: 833

dimentiorules wrote:
It reminds me, recently in Canada where I'm from, a family was kicked out of their condo because of the noise their autistic child was making. Before that, a mother of a different autistic boy received a letter signed "one pissed off mother" which told them to get rid of their, quote, "wild animal kid", and how they should, quote, "donate what non retarded boy parts he has to science, as what else good is he to anyone". The letter even said that they should euthanize the boy! Stuff like that really gets my blood boiling.


For people like that there's no such thing as an early grave, but that story sounds rather strange to me. How can someone be kicked out of their own home like this? There isn't anything they can do? I'm sure that if they search they will find all the support in the world.
Unfortunately mental disorders are often misunterstood and threated with mockery. If someone has diabetes everyone understands, but if someone has autism or OCD... A bunch of ignorant asses label them as "aberrations".
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?βTopic%20Title
User avatar

In Justice We Trust

Gender: Male

Location: Southern California

Rank: Admin

Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:31 pm

Posts: 4090

TopHatProfessor1014 wrote:
Tell that to the bastards at my high school who got me suspended in my freshmen year. They heard me say things out of context or took me too seriously, and I ended up suffering from it. They told the principal that I wanted to do things like rape and kill people. It really destroyed me and I felt miserable for months. I still feel it to this very day. It just proves to me that there's no such thing as justice or fairness. It's all about pure chance and the right circumstances. There are parasitic assholes at my school who are a hundred times worse and have done way worse things, yet nothing happens to them. But with a decent, average person like me; I'm the one who gets the shaft. I didn't do a damn thing, yet I was the one who got suspended.

I wasn't there, so I don't know for certain why the people who reported you did so, but as a general rule, I advise not assuming malice when stupidity also suffices as an explanation. Just judging by what you posted, it sounds like a very unfortunate misunderstanding rather than an attempt to make you suffer. These kinds of incidents are proof that justice and fairness are still goals rather than universal realities. If people fall through the cracks the way you did, we should strive to seal said cracks. If people game the system the way your "parasitic assholes" do, we should strive to correct the flaws in the system that give them the opportunity to get away with it. I know it's hard to have much faith in these kinds of things when you've been hurt by the very system that's supposed to protect you, but I assure you your case is the exception and not the rule. There's still work to do, but we've come a long way from what passed for justice and fairness in, say, Roman times. We've all got a part to play in either continuing down that road or turning around.
Image
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?βTopic%20Title

Gender: None specified

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:44 pm

Posts: 1410

Quote:
I wasn't there, so I don't know for certain why the people who reported you did so, but as a general rule, I advise not assuming malice when stupidity also suffices as an explanation. Just judging by what you posted, it sounds like a very unfortunate misunderstanding rather than an attempt to make you suffer. These kinds of incidents are proof that justice and fairness are still goals rather than universal realities. If people fall through the cracks the way you did, we should strive to seal said cracks. If people game the system the way your "parasitic assholes" do, we should strive to correct the flaws in the system that give them the opportunity to get away with it. I know it's hard to have much faith in these kinds of things when you've been hurt by the very system that's supposed to protect you, but I assure you your case is the exception and not the rule. There's still work to do, but we've come a long way from what passed for justice and fairness in, say, Roman times. We've all got a part to play in either continuing down that road or turning around.


Yes, it was stupid. But in my opinion, it doesn't make a damn difference whether or not I was suspended because of stupidity or malice. I was suspended regardless and the school system shouldn't have done it. If you want more proof how broken my school's discipline system is, look at this story. It was all of the news in my area.
http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2013/10/ ... suspended/

This student was doing EXACTLY what his theater class told him to do. They were supposed to assume a role and not break character for the entire duration of the assignment. But because he wouldn't properly "identify" himself as a student, the police got involved and he was later suspended. This is complete bullshit. Even when this guy does what the class told him to do, he still gets in trouble.

And as for me, I didn't do a single thing to deserve what I got. Don't tell me that this system properly does what it's supposed to, because it doesn't. If you want an even bigger example, my state has one of the highest rates of wrongful convictions in the entire country. I've seen the stories, and I've seen the thousands of people who's lives have been ruined/wasted.

You have no idea what it's like to be in my position. If you we're, then you'd be thinking the same as I am now. The system doesn't work half the time. It all has to do with chance, like I said before.
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?βTopic%20Title
User avatar

In Justice We Trust

Gender: Male

Location: Southern California

Rank: Admin

Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:31 pm

Posts: 4090

As I've said, Professor, the system's not perfect, but that's why we should aim to improve it. I've never denied that there are ample cases of harmful misunderstandings due to stupidity on the part of one or more people. These things need to be corrected. Wrongful convictions (yours among them) are proof that the system is flawed and that these flaws need to be corrected. I've looked up the statistics, though, and I stand by my claim that such incidents are the exception rather than the rule. You are right; you did nothing to deserve that suspension, and in my opinion, that student in the article did nothing to deserve his. We can't change the past, but these kinds of incidents need to be brought to light so we can prevent them from happening in the future.
Image
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?βTopic%20Title

Gender: None specified

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:44 pm

Posts: 1410

General Luigi wrote:
As I've said, Professor, the system's not perfect, but that's why we should aim to improve it. I've never denied that there are ample cases of harmful misunderstandings due to stupidity on the part of one or more people. These things need to be corrected. Wrongful convictions (yours among them) are proof that the system is flawed and that these flaws need to be corrected. I've looked up the statistics, though, and I stand by my claim that such incidents are the exception rather than the rule. You are right; you did nothing to deserve that suspension, and in my opinion, that student in the article did nothing to deserve his. We can't change the past, but these kinds of incidents need to be brought to light so we can prevent them from happening in the future.


Yeah, some good that's going to do. I don't see any less people getting wrongfully convicted. Do you? It's always happened throughout history and it's never going to change. People like me don't mean a damn to the people in charge. These politicians, lawyers, judges, and policemen just want to have as many convictions on their records in order for them to look good. As long as these kinds of people exist, the system will never change. I've always wanted to be a lawyer, but lately I've been questioning whether that's the right path for me. What's the point? I'll just become another cog in the machine that runs a system that ruins the lives of others. I don't know if I could live with myself knowing that I played a part in being responsible for destroying someone else's life.
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?βTopic%20Title
User avatar

In Justice We Trust

Gender: Male

Location: Southern California

Rank: Admin

Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:31 pm

Posts: 4090

I see it happening. We're seeing an increase in the number of people exonerated as well as general improvements in investigation methods. As I've said, we still have room for improvement, but that doesn't mean we should abandon efforts to improve. If you don't have faith in the current system, that's all the more reason to try to improve the system.
Image
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?βTopic%20Title
User avatar

aka Ami <3

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 5:13 pm

Posts: 1694

General Luigi wrote:
I see it happening. We're seeing an increase in the number of people exonerated as well as general improvements in investigation methods. As I've said, we still have room for improvement, but that doesn't mean we should abandon efforts to improve. If you don't have faith in the current system, that's all the more reason to try to improve the system.

The system generally works. Not that things don't slip through the cracks. Like the gym teacher that made fun of the mentally handicapped person in one of my friend's class, and allowed me to walk away with a concussion marked by a knot on my temple so large that it was once described as "OH MY GOD, ARE YOU ALRIGHT!?" Said gym teacher tried to cover his hinder and the behind of one of the wrestling team kids to the point where it became ridiculous.

Or the time I was taken into the dean's office, searched, and told I had made threatening remarks. It was reported by a janitor who heard two other students gossiping about how I had said threatening things on the bus. Funny thing is, I never took the bus during high school. So I was taken in to the dean's office for something I had never said, for a story that could EASILY be disproved by simply checking if I rode the bus to school, all from a THIRD-HAND ACCOUNT of the story.

Or my perverted US History teacher from middle school that liked the girls a little too much.

Or the principal from my fourth and fifth grade years that had a vendetta against me, whose malice extended to all but ONE teacher and the guidance councilor.

But for every bad teacher/professor/principal/anyone in power, there's decent people out there. I try to focus on that.
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?βTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Posts: 9767

What I have read from the article, the school had every right to suspend him. As said at the last part: "Bodomov was not given the two-day suspension because he dressed up for a classroom assignment. It was because he didn’t identify himself. That is a violation of the student code of conduct."

Exactly. He was not identifiable as a student, school security is told to not let people into the school building or ground if they cannot identify themselves or get a visitor's pass from the office or so. They did that. They saw this guy, maybe he looked pretty old, his costume may have been really good as well as the acting, no ID on him, they do what they are told to do.

C-A
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?βTopic%20Title
User avatar

aka Ami <3

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 5:13 pm

Posts: 1694

CatMuto wrote:
What I have read from the article, the school had every right to suspend him. As said at the last part: "Bodomov was not given the two-day suspension because he dressed up for a classroom assignment. It was because he didn’t identify himself. That is a violation of the student code of conduct."

Exactly. He was not identifiable as a student, school security is told to not let people into the school building or ground if they cannot identify themselves or get a visitor's pass from the office or so. They did that. They saw this guy, maybe he looked pretty old, his costume may have been really good as well as the acting, no ID on him, they do what they are told to do.

C-A

What we have here is a failure to communicate. This is where the teacher failed in saying "hey, my kids are going to be in character for a while, please don't suspend them".
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?βTopic%20Title
User avatar

Ace GalPal :D

Gender: Female

Location: In My head

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:57 pm

Posts: 630

you know what really grinds my gears?
Jerk faces who are rude to people who dont like something that they like something they like :chinami: :chinami: i mean seriously

Image

Siggy Made By Nadindi Avii Made By the Lovely Chloe
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?βTopic%20Title
User avatar

aka Ami <3

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 5:13 pm

Posts: 1694

Well, there's always someone like that. Don't take it too seriously. I don't know how to do it, so call me when you find out. But apparently it's possible. ^_^;;
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?βTopic%20Title
User avatar

Ace GalPal :D

Gender: Female

Location: In My head

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:57 pm

Posts: 630

Hahaha :3 I will let you know if i do find out.
and hopefully not get charged with murder

Image

Siggy Made By Nadindi Avii Made By the Lovely Chloe
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?βTopic%20Title

Gender: None specified

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:44 pm

Posts: 1410

genodragon1 wrote:
CatMuto wrote:
What I have read from the article, the school had every right to suspend him. As said at the last part: "Bodomov was not given the two-day suspension because he dressed up for a classroom assignment. It was because he didn’t identify himself. That is a violation of the student code of conduct."

Exactly. He was not identifiable as a student, school security is told to not let people into the school building or ground if they cannot identify themselves or get a visitor's pass from the office or so. They did that. They saw this guy, maybe he looked pretty old, his costume may have been really good as well as the acting, no ID on him, they do what they are told to do.

C-A

What we have here is a failure to communicate. This is where the teacher failed in saying "hey, my kids are going to be in character for a while, please don't suspend them".


Our school doesn't require students to "check in" or show I.D. And just like genodragon1 said, the teacher of the class should have told the other members of the staff ahead of time. I'm not part of that class, but I do know that it's VERY strict in that the students aren't supposed to break character during these types of assignments. I'm siding with him. He didn't deserve to be suspended.
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?βTopic%20Title
User avatar

aka Ami <3

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 5:13 pm

Posts: 1694

That's weird. I guess it's just the paranoia of The States, but in every high school (and middle school) I've been in, I have been required to keep a photo ID mandated and supplied by the school, and if you lost one? You had to pay for the new one out of pocket.
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?βTopic%20Title
User avatar

Ace GalPal :D

Gender: Female

Location: In My head

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:57 pm

Posts: 630

genodragon1 wrote:
That's weird. I guess it's just the paranoia of The States, but in every high school (and middle school) I've been in, I have been required to keep a photo ID mandated and supplied by the school, and if you lost one? You had to pay for the new one out of pocket.


I know a few people who have that as well.
Image

Siggy Made By Nadindi Avii Made By the Lovely Chloe
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?βTopic%20Title
User avatar

☆☆☆ Kira ☆☆☆

Gender: Male

Location: Nippon-Weeb-Land

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:25 pm

Posts: 2512

genodragon1 wrote:
That's weird. I guess it's just the paranoia of The States, but in every high school (and middle school) I've been in, I have been required to keep a photo ID mandated and supplied by the school, and if you lost one? You had to pay for the new one out of pocket.


My middle school and high school gave us ID cards, but security was never strict since our neighborhood is one of the safest cities in the US
I'm Blak, and I have shit taste.
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?βTopic%20Title

Gender: None specified

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:44 pm

Posts: 1410

Quote:
My middle school and high school gave us ID cards, but security was never strict since our neighborhood is one of the safest cities in the US


Same here. I live in one of the richest, whitest, and "cleanest" districts in my area. Pretty ironic seeing as how the surrounding districts are the polar opposite. That's not to say that I'm happy here, though. The people around me are total snobs and idiots, which makes me want to leave as soon as high school finishes for me. Me and that kid who got suspended are only victims of this shallow and parasitic place.
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?βTopic%20Title
User avatar

aka Ami <3

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 5:13 pm

Posts: 1694

TopHatProfessor1014 wrote:
Quote:
My middle school and high school gave us ID cards, but security was never strict since our neighborhood is one of the safest cities in the US


Same here. I live in one of the richest, whitest, and "cleanest" districts in my area. Pretty ironic seeing as how the surrounding districts are the polar opposite. That's not to say that I'm happy here, though. The people around me are total snobs and idiots, which makes me want to leave as soon as high school finishes for me. Me and that kid who got suspended are only victims of this shallow and parasitic place.

That anger is unhealthy. When you do leave, high school won't matter that much, and holding onto it won't help how you feel. I'm in college now, and I'm sure that when I leave college, college won't matter that much to me, either. Just remember that even if people do act snobbish, vapid, and unintelligent, that sometimes it's a symptom of problems in their own lives, and that there are just as many decent people, if not more.
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?βTopic%20Title

Gender: None specified

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:44 pm

Posts: 1410

Quote:
That anger is unhealthy. When you do leave, high school won't matter that much, and holding onto it won't help how you feel. I'm in college now, and I'm sure that when I leave college, college won't matter that much to me, either. Just remember that even if people do act snobbish, vapid, and unintelligent, that sometimes it's a symptom of problems in their own lives, and that there are just as many decent people, if not more.


Not where I live. And I've been here for all 16 years of my life. How I lived here will never leave me and it's going to have a lasting effect on the rest of my life.

And I don't know what you're talking about. The majority of the people here come from good, well-off families. People are snobbish, vapid, and unintelligent because that's what the majority of our human species is. Hell, I probably act that way sometimes and I don't even realize it. In my opinion, decent people in my life are few and far between. I hardly know people that are worth my time or respect. You don't know what I've been through, so you can't say that my anger is unjustified. It's nothing against you personally, but I always hate it when people make unfounded assumptions about my life. If you don't have my life, you can't understand.
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?βTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Posts: 9767

Quote:
Our school doesn't require students to "check in" or show I.D. And just like genodragon1 said, the teacher of the class should have told the other members of the staff ahead of time. I'm not part of that class, but I do know that it's VERY strict in that the students aren't supposed to break character during these types of assignments. I'm siding with him. He didn't deserve to be suspended.


Well I guess America is just paranoid about strangers doing something bad in their school and not realizing that students or teachers could be the ones to actually cause trouble. Because we all know that amok runs and such at schools are always done by strangers and not actual students from the school.

Now that I've got my snarky, sarcastic comment out of the way...

Germany doesn't have us wear an ID, either. We were simply students registered in the school, no IDs, no big School Security or anything like that. And I'm quite glad about that. Only school I had a student ID was for the cosmetician school and I completely forgot why we had that... it wasn't like we had to swip it through a reader to get into the school.

And of course, here we have two problems.
1. Did the teacher tell security that some students may come in wearing different outfits and acting strangely? According to the story, we can suspect that he didn't. In which case he's terrible and should feel bad.
2. Did the student tell the teacher that he had chosen "homeless man" as his role? Again, according to the story, he probably didn't. In which case, the student is also an idiot in that category, not just for not carrying his student ID with him.

Quote:
That anger is unhealthy. When you do leave, high school won't matter that much, and holding onto it won't help how you feel. I'm in college now, and I'm sure that when I leave college, college won't matter that much to me, either. Just remember that even if people do act snobbish, vapid, and unintelligent, that sometimes it's a symptom of problems in their own lives, and that there are just as many decent people, if not more.


God, I hate that reasoning. Eh myeh, people only act like dicks because they have problems themselves. Is it really that hard to believe that somebody is simply acting like a dick because they are actually just dicks? Not every person that is a jerk to someone actually does it because they are being beaten at home, have too much pressure on them or anything like that.

But I agree with geno, High School and College can pretty much be forgotten as soon as you are out of them.

C-A
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?βTopic%20Title

Gender: None specified

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:44 pm

Posts: 1410

Quote:
God, I hate that reasoning. Eh myeh, people only act like dicks because they have problems themselves. Is it really that hard to believe that somebody is simply acting like a dick because they are actually just dicks? Not every person that is a jerk to someone actually does it because they are being beaten at home, have too much pressure on them or anything like that.

But I agree with geno, High School and College can pretty much be forgotten as soon as you are out of them.

C-A


It's an extreme example, but take Hitler or Stalin. Even if they had the worst childhoods imaginable, can that really justify the atrocities that they've done?
Page 5 of 39 [ 1532 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 39  Next
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

 Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Wright & Co. Law Offices

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum
Jump to:  
News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list
Powered by phpBB

phpBB SEO