Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Wright & Co. Law Offices

Page 1 of 1[ 6 posts ]
 


Phrase - Guilty PleasureTopic%20Title
User avatar

OBJECTION.I object that is objectionable

Gender: Male

Location: UK

Rank: Decisive Witness

Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:20 am

Posts: 202

Does anyone else think the phrase guilty pleasure is kind of pointless as it implies you should feel guilty about whatever you happen to enjoy that others may look down on you for liking. Which I saw bull at the end of the day are should like whatever you want and not feel guilty or ashamed of it ( granted the are definite exceptions to that). I mean I still ike playing pokemon and yu gi oh and on the odd time to time listen to music from tv shows i use to watch and I am 26 and alot of people know I enjoy them and have made fun of me for it , do i care ?

NO

Anyway rant over

What are your thoughts
When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth- Sherlock Holmes
Re: Phrase - Guilty PleasureTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Posts: 9877

Eh guilty pleasure, I personally do feel a bit ashamed for liking something that I know I overall wouldn't like. Probably because I hate the thought of looking kiddy despite being 24 myself. But then, I don't play Pokémon not cause I think it's kiddy, but because it kind of doesn't really appeal to me after a few hours of playing...

Although if I could switch this to an overall "dumb phrases" thing, I'd say I never understood the point of "If you've got nothinc nice to say, say nothing at all". Doesn't make sense. Just cause you don't say it, doesn't mean you don't think it. And repressing the negative thing by not saying it can have terrible medical consequences later... trust me. I know.

C-A
Re: Phrase - Guilty PleasureTopic%20Title
User avatar

The cape is self-fluttering

Gender: Female

Location: The Bostonius

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:00 pm

Posts: 2792

CatMuto wrote:
Although if I could switch this to an overall "dumb phrases" thing, I'd say I never understood the point of "If you've got nothinc nice to say, say nothing at all". Doesn't make sense. Just cause you don't say it, doesn't mean you don't think it. And repressing the negative thing by not saying it can have terrible medical consequences later... trust me. I know.


I don't care for the simplicity of the phrase, but it makes sense. There's nothing wrong with being honest, or asserting oneself. But honesty is not some green light for tactlessness, nor is it a license to deliver unsolicited opinions in every setting.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

Image
...NAILED IT
Re: Phrase - Guilty PleasureTopic%20Title
User avatar

Dine at DuBois'!

Gender: Male

Location: A land of ignorance and fear.

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:30 pm

Posts: 14154

I'm actually a big supporter of "If you've got nothing nice to say..." it works perfectly on paper, we just need more people to believe in it. If someone is actively slacking off at their job you can make an objective report to the right person in order to improve it or a suggestion. Actual ill will directed at others? There's no guarantee it'll accomplish anything, it's just an outlet for you to make someone else potentially feel like crap which might also get you in trouble. There are safe venues for outletting frustration but we shouldn't take it out on other people.

But that's not what we're here to talk about...

davech1987 wrote:
Does anyone else think the phrase guilty pleasure is kind of pointless as it implies you should feel guilty about whatever you happen to enjoy that others may look down on you for liking. Which I saw bull at the end of the day are should like whatever you want and not feel guilty or ashamed of it ( granted the are definite exceptions to that). I mean I still ike playing pokemon and yu gi oh and on the odd time to time listen to music from tv shows i use to watch and I am 26 and alot of people know I enjoy them and have made fun of me for it , do i care ?

NO

Anyway rant over

What are your thoughts


You are right in a lot of ways but these impressions are very VERY deeply ingrained. It's why I don't dare buy a game like Catherine from Atlus or DOA and play it at home...because it's a family household with kids and my folks already disapprove of gaming as much as it is without bringing home something that looks like the game equivalent of a playboy magazine (though that title probably goes to the Leisure Suite Larry series).

In the end it's about approval, if something's a guilty pleasure we keep it secret because we know it'd be upsetting to other people if they knew. Sure it's wrong and it'd be great if everyone could accept it and we ARE getting there.

Of course total acceptance won't ever be around, society would collapse if it was the case, how could we judge a murderer if we just fully accepted them and their behaviour? Relatively harmless hobbies SHOULD be accepted.

It's a world I can't really imagine, the internet both harms and helps the problem and in real life I think society is inching closer to it's own realistic non-judgemental solution in places but I think the phrase will always exist. Even if we get more accepting that bar will just shift and new (arguably more unacceptable things) will become guilty pleasures in place of the old ones.
Made by Chesu+Zombee
Image

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.
Re: Phrase - Guilty PleasureTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Posts: 9877

Sierra Mikain wrote:
I don't care for the simplicity of the phrase, but it makes sense. There's nothing wrong with being honest, or asserting oneself. But honesty is not some green light for tactlessness, nor is it a license to deliver unsolicited opinions in every setting.


Well there is the term brutal honesty. And honesty is so rarely found these days, of course honesty will hurt people. Which is just... you know, just cause you don't wanna hear it, don't make it not true. Heck, one reason why I love Luke so much in Tales of the Abyss. He is brutally honest for the first arc. So rare to see, it's quite refreshing. Then again, at times I would prefer to hear the honest truth, even if it may not be nice to hear. Better than someone who just has this "I am totally holding back something 'rude'" smile.

C-A
Re: Phrase - Guilty PleasureTopic%20Title
User avatar

Dine at DuBois'!

Gender: Male

Location: A land of ignorance and fear.

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:30 pm

Posts: 14154

CatMuto wrote:
Sierra Mikain wrote:
I don't care for the simplicity of the phrase, but it makes sense. There's nothing wrong with being honest, or asserting oneself. But honesty is not some green light for tactlessness, nor is it a license to deliver unsolicited opinions in every setting.


Well there is the term brutal honesty. And honesty is so rarely found these days, of course honesty will hurt people. Which is just... you know, just cause you don't wanna hear it, don't make it not true. Heck, one reason why I love Luke so much in Tales of the Abyss. He is brutally honest for the first arc. So rare to see, it's quite refreshing. Then again, at times I would prefer to hear the honest truth, even if it may not be nice to hear. Better than someone who just has this "I am totally holding back something 'rude'" smile.

C-A


There's also folly in assuming "Just because I think it's so, it must mean it's right!" Your honest opinion might just be that...an opinion. Of course truth is valuable but if it's only the truth to you what value does it have to others?

'Brutal Honesty' is not often used positively. A person needs to earn the right to be so honest with a person otherwise they just come off as a condescending stranger.
Made by Chesu+Zombee
Image

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.
Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

 Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Wright & Co. Law Offices

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: AhrefsBot [Bot?], Google [Bot] and 3 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum
Jump to:  
News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list
Powered by phpBB

phpBB SEO