Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Wright & Co. Law Offices

Page 1 of 1[ 39 posts ]

AUS/UK English vs American EnglishTopic%20Title

Trainer Gold - Johto Champion.

I'm a big Professor Layton fan, and PL vs PW:AA led me to like Ace Attorney as well.
When it comes to Level-5 vs Capcom, it's NO contest. Level-5 is better for a LOT of reasons. For a start, Level-5 is really good in their animations. Just compare this:
Professor Layton and the Pandora's Box

With this:
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Justice for All

The graphics from PL are of higher quality. And that was just with the original Nintento DS!

Anyway, all that aside, Level-5 have done QUITE well with their localisations. They even have localisations for Australia and the UK (and spell things right). Which brings me to this:

Which English is better? American or Australian/British. Personally, I prefer Austalian/British English. You don't spell "fence" with an 's' instead of the 'c'. So why does that change just because you're adding "de" or "of" at the start? I hate "defense!" That just looks wrong! It's D-E-F-E-N-CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC-E!!!!!!!!!!!! :edgeworth:
To all the creepypastas, Romans, etc.
http://pa1.narvii.com/5806/85074bd75bdf ... 9d1_hq.gif
YOU JUST MESSED WITH THE WRONG PERSON!!!

Hydrophyl the Feraligatr is going to rearrange the Phantom's kneecaps! You never know, I used him, and only him - to defeat the entire E4 and all of Kanto's Gym leaders, believe it or not!

I've become a DeviantArt member! Link to my DeviantArt Here:
http://articuno32.deviantart.com/
Re: AUS/UK English vs American EnglishTopic%20Title

Gettin' Old!

I think both are fine? XP
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

The cape is self-fluttering

*blink*

*trying to figure out what gaming company preference has to do with spelling preference* :payne:

Incidentally, the first three PW games were originally GBA games, released years later as DS ports. So I don't think it's fair to imply PL's graphics are superior based on that.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

Jean Descole wrote:
*blink*

*trying to figure out what gaming company preference has to do with spelling preference* :payne:

In the OP, I was only talking about the lead-up to writing this thread.

Jean Descole wrote:
Incidentally, the first three PW games were originally GBA games, released years later as DS ports. So I don't think it's fair to imply PL's graphics are superior based on that.

Hmmm.... What about GS4? Was that on the GBA?

Anyway, back to the topic...
Pierre wrote:
I think both are fine? XP

So you like both spellings? I mostly am one-sided on this matter. I only like British/Australian English. Apparently another name for American English is "English with Mistakes"!

Hydrophyl the Feraligatr is going to rearrange the Phantom's kneecaps! You never know, I used him, and only him - to defeat the entire E4 and all of Kanto's Gym leaders, believe it or not!

Student678 wrote:
Jean Descole wrote:
*blink*

In the OP, I was only talking about the lead-up to writing this thread.

I'm aware it's a lead-up. It just comes off as a rather strange one to me.

Quote:
Jean Descole wrote:

Hmmm.... What about GS4? Was that on the GBA?

No, that one was released only on the DS.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...

Aside from that, Apollo Justice had some pretty good graphical quality. Layton's is more cartoony, while AA is more anime/realistic. Really, it all boils down to which you prefer...

Much like American vs. UK English.

TheDoctor wrote:
Aside from that, Apollo Justice had some pretty good graphical quality. Layton's is more cartoony, while AA is more anime/realistic.

Layton's may be more cartoony, but the graphics was smoother, more animeted and less pixelated. I'm kind of judging this based on the skill level of the developers.

But enough about discussing the lead-up. Let's get back to the point of the topic.

With the 'u' in words like "colour," "favour," and "armour," it makes sense because the 'u' has something to do with changing the way the 'o' sounds. Otherwise, if we take out the 'u,' "colour" would sound more like "col-awr."
Now there's something to throw at those who think that "color" is the way to go. It's colour! COLOUR! COLOUR!
Spoiler: There is a lot of text here...
COLOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUR!!!

Also, I hate how the Americans take out the second 'l' in words like "travelling" and "cancelled." Please think about the 'bossy e' effect! If I was to take out the second 'l' in "cancelled", it would sound more like "can-ceeled!

Call me James

You're forgetting that you've used a screenshot from the Wii port of an Ace Attorney game, which are stretched to holy hell. As said before, it's not really comparable. DS vs GBA/DS port/Wii port. The only fair comparison would be any given DS Professor Layton game vs. Apollo Justice (which does pretty well in the graphical department).

With regards to the English, I come from the UK, so I do prefer our English spelling. Though you can't deny that some versions are spelled slightly better in American English. Like "laser/lazer". While I do spell the word with the former, it's easy to see why Americans use the latter.

Fire the lasers! Or should it be "Fire the lacers!"?

Just one example :yogi:
http://i.neoseeker.com/mgv/9935-Akira_E ... 44a161.gif

"I love the thrill of a good solution!"

Beware of the Dog

Why I somehow agree with the Layton and AA grafics, when it comes to English , I actually choose whatever spelling I prefer, without any real preference for AE or BE. I decide from case to case. And "defence"? I beg you, that looks like a kind of fence and not like one of the most awesome words ever (which it is). Or actually, which DEFENSE is! It's also "defenSive", there is no "defeCive".

I've felt worse.

Professor Yoshi wrote:
With regards to the English, I come from the UK, so I do prefer our English spelling. Though you can't deny that some versions are spelled slightly better in American English. Like "laser/lazer". While I do spell the word with the former, it's easy to see why Americans use the latter.

American here. We don't use "lazer." Wouldn't make sense to put a z in an acronym for "light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation." Maybe you'd see "lazer" if someone was trying to invoke Xtreme Kool Letterz, but the majority of us spell it as "laser."
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

I grew up using British English, but I use American English now. No real deep reason, it's marginally quicker to type, and people around me used it so.

lonechallenger wrote:
I grew up using British English, but I use American English now. No real deep reason, it's marginally quicker to type, and people around me used it so.

And yet those Americans call the "ute" a "pickup truck"! Wouldn't it quicker and easier just to call it a "ute"?
Also, the Ameicans need to r-e-a-l-i-s-e that they didn't invent the English language. That's just how I see it.

Gettin' Old!

I don't think I've ever met an American with such a severe opinion on the British English so I'm not sure where you are getting this from. If anything I think your attitude is the most aggressive regarding languages XD

Really not something worth fighting over, people will have been raised with it as a norm and so it'll seem perfectly normal to them. They are functionally the same and since ease of use varies with individuals it's impossible to say one is objectively better as everyone will find one easier to use based on what they are used to.

Honestly I'm impressed this discussion even kicked off to this level, had no idea people were so invested in such subtle language differences XD
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Student678 wrote:
lonechallenger wrote:

And yet those Americans call the "ute" a "pickup truck"! Wouldn't it quicker and easier just to call it a "ute"?
Also, the Ameicans need to r-e-a-l-i-s-e that they didn't invent the English language. That's just how I see it.

Well, if you want to get technical about it, the Brits didn't invent English either. It was Germanic invaders. It was only over many centuries that the language evolved into something we can recognize today.

...NAILED IT

Pierre wrote:
I don't think I've ever met an American with such a severe opinion on the British English

Um... other way around...?

Pierre wrote:
If anything I think your attitude is the most aggressive regarding languages XD

I'm SURE there are people out there that share my opinion.

I'm just frustrated with the things the Americans did with the English language. For a start, my computer had US spellings, even when I set the system language to English (UK). I installed the language packs from the Control Panel and that got rid of most of those rotten spellings. But they still stayed in programs that I installed. Sometimes, it drives me nuts! And some sites don't let you view things in British English.

Then there are these companies like Crayola, who import their products to the likes of Australia, but don't even localise their spellings. Then out of those products, some are given to children who are probably just learning to spell and it sets a bad example! It even showed in high school!

With all this going on, it really feels like the Americans are starting to think they invented the language. And I'm not the only one! Once, I talked to a shopkeeper abut this and they were agreeing with me.

So... It's kind of a matter of context what we think about this matter.

Jean Descole wrote:
Student678 wrote:
lonechallenger wrote:

Well, if you want to get technical about it, the Brits didn't invent English either. It was Germanic invaders. It was only over many centuries that the language evolved into something we can recognize today.

In this Horrible Histories book, I remember that there was this person who wanted to punish people who DIDN'T spell the American way. Also, even today, people are STILL pressuring others to spell the American way:
http://www.smh.com.au/small-business/ma ... 3pley.html

Which is starting to make me think that the Americans think that they are the ones who invented the language - because they are trying to make us spell the way they do.

Gettin' Old!

Quote:
In this Horrible Histories book, I remember that there was this person who wanted to punish people who DIDN'T spell the American way. Also, even today, people are STILL pressuring others to spell the American way:

That article seems in favour of British/Aus English though? Or it at least says the pros and cons of both sides.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Danksgiving

for pete sake kid calm down it's one letter

Pierre wrote:
Quote:

That article seems in favour of British/Aus English though? Or it at least says the pros and cons of both sides.

There's this thing called context. If it were written by an American, it would be completely different.

Viktoria von Karma wrote:
"defence"? I beg you, that looks like a kind of fence and not like one of the most awesome words ever (which it is). Or actually, which DEFENSE is! It's also "defenSive", there is no "defenCive

It's D-E-F-E-N-CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC*takes a breath*CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC-E!
You're just adding 'de' to 'fence.' What's with adding the 'de' that makes you need to also change the 'c' to an 's'?
Of course there are words like defensive, defensiveness, defensively and defensible, that you can't spell with a 'c' but that's because you're changing the 'e' to an 'i'. Other than that, spelling "defence" with an 's' just looks wrong!

Gettin' Old!

Quote:
There's this thing called context. If it were written by an American, it would be completely different.

Well for starters it's ok :-P I know what context is, you don't need to try and put me down here I'm not antagonising you, I'm just poking your ideas a little to see if they hold up.

It's just that when I said the article seemed pro-Brit Spelling, I had no idea of the nationality so my point really would have stood even without context. The context you are describing is also not the one in the article. If it was written by an American...I'd still see a mostly balanced article that acknowledges the advantages of both sides.

You presented the article with this statement:
Quote:
Also, even today, people are STILL pressuring others to spell the American way:

Which seems to imply the article would support your proposition...but I didn't get that impression from the article.

The only way I'd really see it that way (with the change in context you proposed) is if I just read the headline: "Should we adopt American Spelling?" If it was written by an American then yeah it's fair to say there might be a bit of bias in it. The article's title wouldn't make sense (as Americans would already use American spelling) but then I'd say you would have a reasonable point.

As it is I don't think your argument about people being pressured to spell the American way really is fair, you mention that if the context was different then it would be but the context ISN'T different and so your article is not good evidence of people being pressured to spell the American way.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Student678 wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Quote:

Viktoria von Karma wrote:
"defence"? I beg you, that looks like a kind of fence and not like one of the most awesome words ever (which it is). Or actually, which DEFENSE is! It's also "defenSive", there is no "defenCive

It's D-E-F-E-N-CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC*takes a breath*CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC-E!
You're just adding 'de' to 'fence.' What's with adding the 'de' that makes you need to also change the 'c' to an 's'?
Of course there are words like defensive, defensiveness, defensively and defensible, that you can't spell with a 'c' but that's because you're changing the 'e' to an 'i'. Other than that, spelling "defence" with an 's' just looks wrong!

You know, we have a "You know what really grinds my gears?" thread. I'm not entirely sure this warranted its own topic.

On topic, however, I looked up the origin of the word "defense/defence," and it apparently comes from the Latin word, defensa, which means "vengeance." You'll note the lack of the letter C in that word. That's because in Latin, the soft C sound did not exist. Ergo, if anyone is spelling it wrong, it's you English.

Alright, let's digress...
I went to the shops today and saw packets of pencils and crayons, etc. in the stationery asile. Anyway, one brand can't choose wether to spell "colour" with a 'u' as you can see in these examples:

Spoiler: Examples. Blue for BrE. Red for AmE.
"Festive colors"
"1 color"
"Visacolor XL"
"Turn and colour."

Is this a case of the company trying to do "Xtreme Kool Letterz"? Or is it just me?

Gettin' Old!

Quote:
On topic, however, I looked up the origin of the word "defense/defence," and it apparently comes from the Latin word, defensa, which means "vengeance." You'll note the lack of the letter C in that word. That's because in Latin, the soft C sound did not exist. Ergo, if anyone is spelling it wrong, it's you English.

Why would spelling it differently from a dead language that's not used any more in day-to-day language be wrong?

Also "you English" would also include Australians as he's pointed out.

There's nothing 'wrong' about either of the spellings, it's just small cultural differences based on where you are commonly taught English.

Quote:

Also to digress means to stray from the main topic which we probably shouldn't.

Regarding your crayon conundrum though it's probably just based on where the crayons are manufactured/commonly sold in.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Pierre wrote:

It was a minor digression.

Anyway, I've got some screenshots of people who can't decide which English to choose. Even CourtRecords is not immune!

Spoiler: Saving Space

Gettin' Old!

Sure just saying we shouldn't try to digress :P but what about the other stuff I said?
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Pierre wrote:
Sure just saying we shouldn't try to digress :P but what about the other stuff I said?

You mean this:
Pierre wrote:
Quote:

Why would spelling it differently from a dead language that's not used any more in day-to-day language be wrong?

Also "you English" would also include Australians as he's pointed out.

There's nothing 'wrong' about either of the spellings, it's just small cultural differences based on where you are commonly taught English.

Quote:

Regarding your crayon conundrum though it's probably just based on where the crayons are manufactured/commonly sold in.

With the "crayon conundrum", which are you talking about? Can you provide the quote? Otherwise, everything else you said is fine.

Tux Paint can't decide on how to spell "colour", either. I even have a screenshot for it... but it's on a different computer to the one I'm using now.

Gettin' Old!

Talking about this:

Student678 wrote:
I went to the shops today and saw packets of pencils and crayons, etc. in the stationery asile. Anyway, one brand can't choose wether to spell "colour" with a 'u' as you can see in these examples:

Spoiler: Examples. Blue for BrE. Red for AmE.
"Festive colors"
"1 color"
"Visacolor XL"
"Turn and colour."

Is this a case of the company trying to do "Xtreme Kool Letterz"? Or is it just me?

Made by Chesu+Zombee

This is the BIC Company. What I was talking about here was how they were using both spellings of the word "colour." Will they EVER make up their minds?

The Real Human Being

>Europoor/Britbong English vs Amerifat English
>not using both interchangeably

DoMaya wrote:

I don't get what you are talking about.

The Real Human Being

Student678 wrote:
DoMaya wrote:

I don't get what you are talking about.

I spell color and colour and use both versions of English, neither is better.

Fine then. But... when do you use "colour" and when do you use "color"?

"Colour" when you're trying to appear fancy, and "color" when you're trying to save space on Twitter.

TheDoctor wrote:
"Colour" when you're trying to appear fancy, and "color" when you're trying to save space on Twitter.

I'd probably only use "color" if there were a very strict, short, character limit, (like 50 for example) and I needed that space. But I've never encountered that problem before, so.... I'm always going to use "colour." Colour is the way to go!

Happy Maria

Actually,UK English is very helpful in word games,when you need to increase the number of words.

Also,Layton's character art styles can range from cartoony to terrifying.

The 'u' in 'colour' makes sense, because it stops 'colour' from sounding like 'col-aw.'

Happy Maria

Wait,how can one pronounce 'color' as col-aw without trying to do so on purpose?

Gettin' Old!

Southern Corn wrote:
Wait,how can one pronounce 'color' as col-aw without trying to do so on purpose?

"Or" sounds like "Awr"
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Happy Maria

Awr,not aw. There's a difference.

Gettin' Old!

Southern Corn wrote:
Awr,not aw. There's a difference.

Sure but I merely said sounds "like" not "identical".

I can see why someone would say "or" sounds like "aw" is my point. The "Aw" part is present in both.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Page 1 of 1 [ 39 posts ] 

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Wright & Co. Law Offices