Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station

Page 4 of 4[ 150 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Re: Metal GearTopic%20Title

Gettin' Old!

TheDoctor wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I prefer Hayter too, I'm just saying that considering how Sutherland was supposedly an "upgrade," there was so little dialogue that it really wasn't worth the change.

That said, if they release a Hayter voice pack that redubs all of Snake's lines with Hayter's voice, I'm totally buying it.

I would Kickstart a Mod for the PC version that did that.

Part of me thinks they are trying to hide the "not-snake" quality of Kiefer's voice.

That or big budget actors like him cost a lot more money so they didn't use much dialogue.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...

Keep in mind, Big Boss wasn't voiced by Hayter in MGS4 either. So, the change isn't entirely unprecedented. I just think they should have at least talked to Hayter about it and let him know they wanted to go in a different direction for this installment. It's the least they could have done for the man who basically made the series as popular as it is in the west.

Gettin' Old!

TheDoctor wrote:
Keep in mind, Big Boss wasn't voiced by Hayter in MGS4 either. So, the change isn't entirely unprecedented. I just think they should have at least talked to Hayter about it and let him know they wanted to go in a different direction for this installment. It's the least they could have done for the man who basically made the series as popular as it is in the west.

Sure but if they had voiced him with Hayter in MGS4 he would have been talking to himself.
Plus Big Boss' body had been through some pretty crappy stuff. It's understandable if his vocal chords messed up. Even then I'd have accepted it provided they used Richard Doyle from MGS4 as the voice actor.

As it feels it's like a cheesy Celebrity endorsement.

Additionally Peace Walker was after MGS4 and they did use Hayter there.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Gettin' Old!

Bump

So the credits are rolling...I mean proper credits, the big fancy theme has been sung. A giant mech lies pretty wrecked due to my efforts. Man what a disappointment. I can only hope the true story lies in the postgame because...well it's like anything in dramatic storytelling has just been chucked out the window.

The game's big musical number...played amazingly well in MGS4...played at a super dramatic moment in MGS3...is played here in a silent, kind of awkward, Jeep ride through Afghanistan. Not even with dynamic camera shots of the scenery, just simple music with nothing to really invoke any excitement or drama.

People will say "Oh yeah but the Gameplay is great," and it is.

But that's not what I buy Metal Gear for.

Here's hoping post-game is a massive redeeming factor for the plot.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Metal Gear Solid 4 had a big musical number?

Gettin' Old!

TheDoctor wrote:
Metal Gear Solid 4 had a big musical number?

Love Theme is what I'm referring to there.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Huh. Guess it didn't really impact me like Heavens Divide.

Gettin' Old!

TheDoctor wrote:
Huh. Guess it didn't really impact me like Heavens Divide.

True the song isn't as memorable but it's not about the quality of the song.

It's how it was used that's what counts. Musical Direction! Pushing through that corridor with this slightly-depressing song while you see your friends fighting and losing as you become more broken and wounded had a great effect!
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Yeah, they should have had Sins of the Father play over a big intro, like in Snake Eater. That would have been cool.

Advertising-wise, I think the worst thing is that the game was advertised as Big Boss's decent into villainy, but to be honest, I didn't see any of that in the actual story, and in gameplay, it's mostly left up to player choice, and I just have a hard time taking that route when the heroic route is so much more rewarding.

Gettin' Old!

TheDoctor wrote:
Yeah, they should have had Sins of the Father play over a big intro, like in Snake Eater. That would have been cool.

Advertising-wise, I think the worst thing is that the game was advertised as Big Boss's decent into villainy, but to be honest, I didn't see any of that in the actual story, and in gameplay, it's mostly left up to player choice, and I just have a hard time taking that route when the heroic route is so much more rewarding.

If anything it seems more like Millers descent into madness. Like I know at some point Miller and BB had a falling out.

Its not hard to believe that it was Miller doing all the villainous stuff and BB ditching him for his crazy ambitions. Then again the speech at the end of Peace Walker made BB seem villainous enough.

Still apparently there's a whole chapter 2 to go through so maybe I'll see more there.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

I've felt worse.

Well I finally got around to completing MGSV, and I pretty much agree with The Doctor's post on the previous page. Gameplay is awesome, story was meh. Some of the themes and plot points really could have been expanded upon more than the game allowed. And, as it turns out, there was a cut episode (post-game spoilers). It wouldn't have fixed everything, but it's still a less abrupt ending than what we got. Though, if anything, I'm quite surprised at how much
Spoiler:
of a massive dickweed Huey turned out to be.

Quote:
The game's big musical number...played amazingly well in MGS4...played at a super dramatic moment in MGS3...is played here in a silent, kind of awkward, Jeep ride through Afghanistan. Not even with dynamic camera shots of the scenery, just simple music with nothing to really invoke any excitement or drama.

Spoiler:

"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

Gettin' Old!

That little comic strip sums it up pretty well...it was just so awkward. I felt bad for Skull Face. When he spoke at the end of it, it felt like forced conversation in an attempt to break up the silence.

I mean c'mon I know you are desperately trying to hide the Not!Snake voice but Snake traditionally talks to villains about their plans!

Also I signed in today, when the servers were down for maintenance. Somehow Motherbase ended up like 500k in the red because I was offline? I mean I get that FOB resources can't be used but...how can I have MORE than my current money in FOBs?
Made by Chesu+Zombee

It's really stupid. Especially when it kills the gmp you had prior to the update. It almost feels like a form of DRM.

Gettin' Old!

TheDoctor wrote:
It's really stupid. Especially when it kills the gmp you had prior to the update. It almost feels like a form of DRM.

I could understand temporarily losing some GMP till the servers are back but this took ALL my GMP AND THEN SOME. I just don't get how it happened. :ron:
Made by Chesu+Zombee

The worst part is that online resources don't seem to be used up first for whatever reason.

Gettin' Old!

Right beat the game. Credits rolling, listening to post-game cassette tapes.

That's pretty disappointing.

People were right, MGS4 was the perfect ending to the series.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

I've felt worse.

Pierre wrote:

Your wishful thinking just had to be correct, didn't it?
Spoiler:
I did figure it out early though, considering how you can very faintly see the avatar's face in the reflection of the ACC. And then there's the facial scarring patterns:

"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

Gettin' Old!

sumguy28 wrote:
Pierre wrote:

Your wishful thinking just had to be correct, didn't it?
Spoiler:
I did figure it out early though, considering how you can very faintly see the avatar's face in the reflection of the ACC. And then there's the facial scarring patterns:

That's a very subtle clue. I don't mean to sound like Cat but they were really obvious about it. Here's why:
Spoiler: Huge MGSV Endgame spoilers
Lets talk the opening mission in the hospital. No in fact, let's talk the META in the development of the game.

David Hayter, the iconic voice of Snake and Big Boss isn't asked to come back. Kiefer Sutherland ISN'T SNAKE. This new character doesn't talk like or sound like Snake. I thought this might make for an interesting bait-and-switch later on where we hear actual Hayter's voice on the real Snake. I couldn't understand why they would ditch Hayter unless it was to have a character other than Snake.

Now Opening mission.
"You're talking to yourself buddy" when you ask who Ishamel is.
"Try and heal your wounds when you are hiding from your enemies" reeks of MGS3
Ishamel has an identical voice actor to you and his voice is kept hidden.
They talk about plastic surgery in the intro, not much on it's own but when taken together it starts to add up.
I'm no medical expert but I did not think the eye looked especially damaged, it had a scar across it but the eye itself appeared intact in the opening before you get the eyepatch.
Big Boss in the future doesn't have a chunk of debris sticking out his head, especially when they tell you it's inoperable.
The aforementioned Scar on the Stomach (though apparently that was a fake).

There's other clues throughout the game I think.
When you first meet the AI Pod it's all "Jack? Jack? No...you're not Jack..."
This is something that I realised in hindsight but for Big Boss your stats are comparatively low. You aren't even considered a "legendary soldier" by the game's ranking standards (as they need an S rank).
Opening every mission as Venom "Punished" Snake rather than "Big Boss" even though BB came to terms with that title and NO ONE ever calls you Venom "Punished" Snake.

But the twist being a bit predictable isn't the problem. I'm a little scunnered that they blatantly cheated in the initial opening to hide it (by changing things in Truth, that happened in the opening mission. I expect new things to be revealed to give away plot twists rather than changing things. Playing the entire opening mission was a bit of a buzzkill too considering they force you to do all the tutorial stuff again.

The real problem is how incomplete the game is.
Spoiler: MGSV Endgame Spoilers
So Liquid...future world destroyer has an unrivalled Metal Gear, a strain of a parasite that could wipe out the English language...and he's just left to run free?

I also didn't feel we saw a transition in Fake Boss to justify the dark turn Big Boss took. This game always seemed to me to promise that Big Boss would go evil in this one but honestly I saw more of that from Peace Walker with his "I AM a Gun" speech. The literal last action Fake Boss does is an act of absolute mercy, letting a man who had (potentially) committed heinous crimes go free on a boat, even furnishing him with food and water. He saves Children, saves the world, receives nothing but respect and admiration from his men, the World doesn't take any further steps to alienate him like he felt in Peace Walker.

It honestly felt like Fake Boss was kinder that Big Boss was in Peace Walker. Which makes knowing how he went off the deep end just not flow narratively.

Made by Chesu+Zombee

I've felt worse.

Spoiler: Huge MGSV Endgame spoilers
Quote:
I'm no medical expert but I did not think the eye looked especially damaged, it had a scar across it but the eye itself appeared intact in the opening before you get the eyepatch.

Actually the bullet never hit Big Bosses's eye. Going by the HD collection, it was the muzzle flash that blinded him.
Quote:
This is something that I realised in hindsight but for Big Boss your stats are comparatively low. You aren't even considered a "legendary soldier" by the game's ranking standards (as they need an S rank).

Big Boss was also an A++ rank in Peace Walker.
Quote:
But the twist being a bit predictable isn't the problem. I'm a little scunnered that they blatantly cheated in the initial opening to hide it (by changing things in Truth, that happened in the opening mission. I expect new things to be revealed to give away plot twists rather than changing things. Playing the entire opening mission was a bit of a buzzkill too considering they force you to do all the tutorial stuff again.

Yeah, that was disappointing. They cut have at least cut out most of the irrelevant stuff that happened.
Quote:
So Liquid...future world destroyer has an unrivalled Metal Gear, a strain of a parasite that could wipe out the English language...and he's just left to run free?

They cut out the mission that was going to resolve that.Whether it was time constraints, or Kojima being a dick, I can't say, but it's still a dick move.

Call me Ishmael.

What are your opinions on the VR Theory? Personally I think it makes a lot of sense considering Kojimmy did not want to continue the franchise after MGS2.
Wife: sparkleranger78, daughter: feedmechocolate247

Gettin' Old!

Marche Tobaye wrote:
What are your opinions on the VR Theory? Personally I think it makes a lot of sense considering Kojimmy did not want to continue the franchise after MGS2.

Huh whatever that is my phones adult filter isn't letting me see it. Mind breaking it down for me?
Made by Chesu+Zombee

The VR Theory does make some sense, much like the idea that Jar Jar is the mastermind who backed the Emperor, but without confirmation, we'll never know for sure.

I'm personally in the camp that says if MGS2 was meant to be VR, then MGS4 serves as the extension to that. Games prior to that in the timeline could be either/or.

I've felt worse.

Marche Tobaye wrote:

I'd be fine with this theory were it not for the guy implying that his theory is infallible and everyone who doesn't see it can't understand the brilliance.

Call me Ishmael.

sumguy28 wrote:
Marche Tobaye wrote:

I'd be fine with this theory were it not for the guy implying that his theory is infallible and everyone who doesn't see it can't understand the brilliance.

Agreed, he does get a bit passive-aggressive at times. Though it may just be backlash at the reception MGS2 got.

Metal Gear 2 (for MSX2, not the NES one) is a really good game by the way.

Gettin' Old!

Marche Tobaye wrote:
sumguy28 wrote:
Marche Tobaye wrote:

Agreed, he does get a bit passive-aggressive at times. Though it may just be backlash at the reception MGS2 got.

Metal Gear 2 (for MSX2, not the NES one) is a really good game by the way.

Sure is, I have fond memories of playing through that on the Subsistance edition of MGS3.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Call me Ishmael.

On the subject of MGS2, does anyone have any thoughts about whether Solidus or The Patriots were right? It's a very thought-provoking game. I recall sympathizing with Solidus while finding the AI's speech on information control eerily accurate. On that note, Solidus' voice acting was superb. Overall a great villain/character that I wish wouldn't get so overlooked.

Gettin' Old!

I think Solidus' goals were admirable but too idealistic and his methods for achieving it were barbaric. Then again I feel I can say the same of Liquid too.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

I've felt worse.

"How should we interpret the story of MGSV? The expert speaks!"
Spoiler:
Ishmael was originally going to be Huey? ...Yeah, I can see why they scrapped that idea.

Gettin' Old!

And so the first post-Kojima Metal Gear game is born: Metal Gear Survive.

Set after the end of Ground Zeroes, the survivors of MSF find themselves travelling through wormholes to scavenge parts of Mother base and fight...crystalline zombies I think.

I'm happy to hear it.

I was worried the first Metal Gear game after Kojima would be good.

This makes shunning the franchise now so much easier. :jake:
Made by Chesu+Zombee

I've felt worse.

What are you talking about? There is no new post-Kojima Metal Gear game. Oceania is at war with Eurasia.
Page 4 of 4 [ 150 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station