Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station

Page 6 of 6[ 228 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Re: Underrated GamesTopic%20Title

Five episodes are on the App Store. The first four chapters are the "question arcs" and the fifth chapter is the beginning of the Kai series of "answer arcs." I have to say that the pricing is quite ridiculous. I got the first chapter for 99 cents which was a great deal, but the rest are $6.99! Talk about expensive! I might just play the first chapter on my iPod, and then play the rest on PC. Or I could just pay for Ch. 2-3, and download the Kai scenarios for PC. All together, I've heard mixed reviews from both the visual novel and anime. I'll probably eventually check out the anime, just to see what it's like. Some of the box sets go for hundreds of dollars! I'll also download the Umineko games for PC since they're only available in English on that platform. From what little I've played of Higurashi, I can tell that it's very doujin-like. The production values aren't that high, the sound is repetitive, and there's no choices to be made here, but at least the story seems interesting. I'm curious to see how the anime handles the game's story. There's even apparently live action films! It's amazing to think that all this came from a low budget Japanese indie title.

Fate Testarossa

UMINEKO'S MUSIC IS AMAZING I LOVE ITS MUSIC

Fate is made by クロス

1000% Knight

TopHatProfessor1014 wrote:
I have to say that the pricing is quite ridiculous. I got the first chapter for 99 cents which was a great deal, but the rest are $6.99! Talk about expensive!

You're... joking, right?
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Bad Player wrote:
I have to say that the pricing is quite ridiculous. I got the first chapter for 99 cents which was a great deal, but the rest are $6.99! Talk about expensive!

You're... joking, right?

*sigh* I'm afraid not. I don't know what's more ridiculous. This or the fact that other VN companies like 5pb put their games UNTRANSLATED on international app stores and expect people to pay $35 for them. Anyways, here are the prices below. :grey:

Steins;Gate
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/steins- ... 36494?mt=8

Higurashi: When They Cry Ep1
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/higuras ... 52917?mt=8

Higurashi: When They Cry Ep2
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/higuras ... 54244?mt=8

Higurashi: When They Cry Ep3
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/higuras ... 88189?mt=8

Higurashi: When They Cry Ep4
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/higuras ... 69195?mt=8

Higurashi: When They Cry Ep5
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/higuras ... 17361?mt=8

Episode 5 is only the first portion of the Kai answers story arc. It was released actually a full year ago on May 15, 2012. This makes me wonder if they've pulled the plug on releasing these games for the app store entirely. Oh well. I'll probably just play the translation on PC. I still have Ever 17 to play as well.

Fate Testarossa

$7 per EP isn't that expensive, man. Considering Umineko is... ~$35 and Chiru is ~$40?

Fate is made by クロス

kwando wrote:
$7 per EP isn't that expensive, man. Considering Umineko is... ~$35 and Chiru is ~$40?

Which version are you referring to? Either way, I always torrent my VNs since most of them can only be played through an English patch.

1000% Knight

Bad Player wrote:

You're... joking, right?

*sigh* I'm afraid not.

No, I mean... you're joking when you say that that's expensive, right?
It's $7 for a book... Not even $20 for the whole first half of Higurashi. That really isn't bad at all >_>

And the reason they probably have $35 untranslated VNs on there is because... why not? They probably made the iVersion of it for release in the Japanese market. And if the iVersion is made and ready, why not also sell it in the other markets? Sure, they probably won't get them much money, but it won't cost them anything extra and a few extra sales never hurt.

Well I guess if you put it that way it isn't so bad. It's just that I'm not used to paying for stuff that expensive on the app store. I think the most I've ever paid for anything was $10 an app. I think that $35 is ridiculous for a mobile platform that prides itself in saying that its games are cheap and affordable for everyone. Once you put everything all together with tax, that's $30 for the entire Higurashi series. I'm guessing that they priced the first chapter at only 99 cents to "reel people in" and buy the other ones. Still, I think that they'd sell a lot more if they priced them cheaper. Why do you think Angry Birds is so successful?

Fate Testarossa

>complains about prices
>torrents them anyways

OK...

Fate is made by クロス

kwando wrote:
>complains about prices
>torrents them anyways

OK...

I'm torrenting them BECAUSE I think the prices are unfair.

1000% Knight

Well I guess if you put it that way it isn't so bad. It's just that I'm not used to paying for stuff that expensive on the app store. I think the most I've ever paid for anything was $10 an app. I think that $35 is ridiculous for a mobile platform that prides itself in saying that its games are cheap and affordable for everyone. Once you put everything all together with tax, that's $30 for the entire Higurashi series. I'm guessing that they priced the first chapter at only 99 cents to "reel people in" and buy the other ones. Still, I think that they'd sell a lot more if they priced them cheaper. Why do you think Angry Birds is so successful?

That's because Higurashi and Steins;Gate are not iPhone apps. They're games that were made for PC and consoles, and go ported to iOS, and so even on iOS the price is comparable to the price on other platforms.

And you're right, the first EP is only $1 to get people in. But guess what? Higurashi EP1 is free on pc for the same reason.

So yeah. You can't think of the prices of apps that were specifically made for iOS and apps that were ported to iOS the same. Just because most of the iOS apps are cheap doesn't mean you can suddenly get full console games for pennies.

Anyway, if you think the prices are unfair for apps, just buy them for the same price on the computer ;D

Bad Player wrote:

That's because Higurashi and Steins;Gate are not iPhone apps. They're games that were made for PC and consoles, and go ported to iOS, and so even on iOS the price is comparable to the price on other platforms.

And you're right, the first EP is only $1 to get people in. But guess what? Higurashi EP1 is free on pc for the same reason.

So yeah. You can't think of the prices of apps that were specifically made for iOS and apps that were ported to iOS the same. Just because most of the iOS apps are cheap doesn't mean you can suddenly get full console games for pennies.

Anyway, if you think the prices are unfair for apps, just buy them for the same price on the computer ;D

I guess you have a point there, but they should still price them more realistically. I think that $15 would be a more reasonable price for Steins;Gate and maybe $2.99 for Higurashi. Rockstar put GTA 3, Vice City, and Chinatown Wars on the app store for much more realistic prices compared to their console counterparts. Those were originally made for consoles and PC, yet they're only priced at $5-$10. The originals originally cost $30-$60. The point is, selling games on a mobile platform and selling games for dedicated gaming consoles are completely different markets, thus companies should price them in regards to the customer of each one. It shouldn't matter if the iOS and console versions are essentially the "same." It could also be an issue with Japanese currency. Stuff in Japan, especially video games, is priced much higher than what it is in the US. I'm assuming that it has to do with their economy, rate exchange, etc. These games probably weren't even meant for Western audiences in the first place, so like you said before; are only released internationally to just gain a bit more money.

Despite all my complaining, I probably WILL buy Ep 2-4; but torrent the rest.

Star General

The Simpsons: Hit and Run. And I know what you're thinking: 'A LICENSED GAME!? THERE'S ONLY EVER BEEN LIKE 5 GOOD ONES SO WHAT MAKES THIS SO GREAT?' Well, although I'm mainly speaking out of nostalgia, I really like this game. It plays like GTA, and although that may make some cry 'GTA CLONE', I've always enjoyed it more than GTA. The world is massive (even if you are restricted to one of three areas depending on which character you play as) and the attention to detail is impressive, especially for a 2003 licensed game. The missions, while most of them follow a similar format, don't become boring, unlike some games (Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts, I'm looking at you), and give you a proper reason to explore the world. There's a lot of unlockable cars and costumes to keep completionists coming back even after you've beaten the main story. And while it may be looked upon as a kids' game (well, it is rated 7+), the challenge can get quite high as the game reaches its final hours.

All I'm saying as, throw away the idea that it's just another licensed game and give it a try. You won't be disappointed. If you actually give a damn about what I've just said, the game's on PS2, Gamecube and Xbox (and possibly PC, I'm not sure).

"Sorry to keep you waiting"

Kid Icarus. It always seemed like the game was the forgotten brother game to Metroid. Sure I know Nintendo revived the series with Uprising,(Which is my favorite 3DS game by the way.)but I'm pretty afraid that after Smash 4 comes out, Pit will walk back to the corner while Mario is still the King of Nintendo. :larry:

Gardevoir lover

wizkid99 wrote:
Kid Icarus. It always seemed like the game was the forgotten brother game to Metroid. Sure I know Nintendo revived the series with Uprising,(Which is my favorite 3DS game by the way.)but I'm pretty afraid that after Smash 4 comes out, Pit will walk back to the corner while Mario is still the King of Nintendo. :larry:

I'm sure Pit will stay in the minds of those who play 3DS games, isn't hi's game one of the most popular games on the system.

My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/

Don't call me Shirley

Maybe underrated is an overstatement since the series has sold millions, but wherever I go, I always see the saints row series getting a lot of flak...from people who haven't even played it. I don't really know why. Maybe the feud with rockstar was picked up by some braindead GTA fans that feel the need to trash the series even if they know nothing about it, maybe the way saints row 3 and 4 have been marketed hasn't exactly helped since you could get the impression from watching trailers that the series is all about randomly shooting things down in the streets with cartoony weapons (which very ironically is why most people play GTA, rockstar themselves admitted that a vast majority of GTA players don't even complete the story and instead spend all their time playing online or randomly fooling around).

A shame really, when the saints row games arguably feature the very best mission variety and level design out of all recent sandbox games (every mission feature some unique idea or objective, a far cry from latests rockstar games/assassin's creed/watch dogs where nearly every single mission has you assassinating someone or shooting everything in sight), the writing is excellent (good characters, memorable villains which I especially appreciate in a time where you can't even remember the bad guys' names from a game you beat one month ago, strong dialogue, clever use and subversion of stereotypes, perfectly paced plot) and there's tons of side stuff to do.

Oh, and boss battles. Is it me, or is the SR series the only thing left under the sun with boss battles ?

Well I heard there are some... problems with SR III. But I also heard that SR IV improved a ton and was much, much better than IV. But I played neither of those games, mostly cause, I dunno, it doesn't seem like my type of game. *shrug*

C-A

Don't call me Shirley

CatMuto wrote:
Well I heard there are some... problems with SR III. But I also heard that SR IV improved a ton and was much, much better than IV. But I played neither of those games, mostly cause, I dunno, it doesn't seem like my type of game. *shrug*

C-A

Both 3 and 4 definitely were lacking in budget as well as in development time. It was especially obvious with SR3, since it followed on a SR2 that was as good as a sandbox game can get. 3 also amped up the silliness, and made a controversial move by abandoning (due to executive meddling) all the previous plot threads left hanging, something that 4 kinda rectified, if only because they showed they hadn't forgotten about these loose ends.

But they're all fantastic games nonetheless I'd advise anyone to play. If you want to customize your character and just fool around, or follow a great story with memorable missions, or have fun exploring the city, they're great.

OBJECTION.I object that is objectionable

Kenjimurasame wrote:
I'd say the Shadow Hearts games are pretty underrated. Sure, they've all been released stateside, but the reaction to them tends to be a little on the low side. I know they tended to garner good reviews, but the general gaming public seems to have ignored the three games (maybe the first one more than the others).

I have played all 3 and the first 2 are fantastic games but very expensive to buy now ( love the music and setting and charecters)

The 3rd one is still fun but not as good the cast are not a likable the main villians have little motivation and some characters feel like carbon copies of those from the 2nd game due to movesets etc)
When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth- Sherlock Holmes

Gettin' Old!

davech1987 wrote:
Kenjimurasame wrote:
I'd say the Shadow Hearts games are pretty underrated. Sure, they've all been released stateside, but the reaction to them tends to be a little on the low side. I know they tended to garner good reviews, but the general gaming public seems to have ignored the three games (maybe the first one more than the others).

I have played all 3 and the first 2 are fantastic games but very expensive to buy now ( love the music and setting and charecters)

The 3rd one is still fun but not as good the cast are not a likable the main villians have little motivation and some characters feel like carbon copies of those from the 2nd game due to movesets etc)

Actually...the basic main battle music in the first game was largely why I couldn't play it. It's just horrible and makes random battles a real slog.
Plus the production values are astonishingly bad on that first one for me. It came out not far from Final Fantasy X if I recall and the difference in quality is just staggering.

Heard the first was actually just an upscaled PS1 game upgraded so it could rush on the new console.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

lying is bad

Pierre wrote:
davech1987 wrote:
Kenjimurasame wrote:

Actually...the basic main battle music in the first game was largely why I couldn't play it. It's just horrible and makes random battles a real slog.
Plus the production values are astonishingly bad on that first one for me. It came out not far from Final Fantasy X if I recall and the difference in quality is just staggering.

Heard the first was actually just an upscaled PS1 game upgraded so it could rush on the new console.

holy moly you still browse these forums?

Ace Explorer

carbon monoxide wrote:
Pierre wrote:

I'd say he does a little more than 'browse', considering he's the only member with over 10k posts. :gant:
Well? Are we going or what?

Gettin' Old!

Quote:

Heh yeah :oops:

I vaguely remember you, didn't click at first but I recognise the sig.
Surprised ya remember me but yeah I ain't left.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Happy Maria

Mild Necropost,but I always feel that the Bookworm Adventures series never gets much love. A pity,because they're amazing games!

Gettin' Old!

Southern Corn wrote:
Mild Necropost,but I always feel that the Bookworm Adventures series never gets much love. A pity,because they're amazing games!

Yeah I'll admit I've never heard of these games.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Happy Maria

Then I recommend that you buy them both! Very fun games in general.

Gettin' Old!

What kind of games ARE they? They sound like Edutainment so far and I can't see myself buying any of those games (except maybe the Logical Adventure of the Zombinis for nostalgia's sake)
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Happy Maria

Trust me,it is not EDUTAINMENT. It's a mix of word games and RPGs,where you spell words to defeat your enemies. It gets VERY hard later too,so the challenge is definitely there. It gets more varied the further you progress,adding effects to your tiles,beneficial potions,minigames to get these,and a new treasure every stage.

I recommend playing the first ten levels of the first one to see if this is your kind of game.

They're PC only,though,but they're available on Steam,I believe.
Page 6 of 6 [ 228 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station