Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station

Page 1 of 4[ 136 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Dragon Quest generalTopic%20Title

Call me Ishmael.

There's one for Megaten and one for FF so why not have a DQ thread? :phoenix: I couldn't find one.

Dragon Quest (also known as Dragon Warrior) is a series of RPG games by Yuji Horii. They have been around since the mid-eighties and... yeah. They're really popular in Japan. There have been 9 games (excluding the spinoffs) so far, and the 10th has been announced for Wii.

So, what are your thoughts on this series? I think DQ is Squeenix's only franchise that's still good. Discuss.
Wife: sparkleranger78, daughter: feedmechocolate247
Re: Dragon Quest generalTopic%20Title

I refuse to change my avatar

Marche Tobaye wrote:
There's one for Megaten and one for FF so why not have a DQ thread? :phoenix: I couldn't find one.

Dragon Quest (also known as Dragon Warrior) is a series of RPG games by Yuji Horii. They have been around since the mid-eighties and... yeah. They're really popular in Japan. There have been 9 games (excluding the spinoffs) so far, and the 10th has been announced for Wii.

So, what are your thoughts on this series? I think DQ is Squeenix's only franchise that's still good. Discuss.

I love all of them. Played all of them too.
Thank you Delsy for the Awesome Game Over Sig! If you're still here, I still love it!

Call me Ishmael.

Good to hear, any favourite game in the series?

I liked DQV the most, especially the DS version. I'm also waiting eagerly for DQ9.

Barfight in VIII is one of the best scenes in anything.

*throws a table*

But yeah, out of the ones I've played (IV, V, VIII, and like 20 minutes of the first), V is probably my favorite too. IV was alright, but having the party chat ripped out of it kind of stripped your party members of any sort of personality after their respective chapters wrapped up.

SE is sure taking its sweet time localizing VI; at this rate IX will be out first. :yuusaku:

The master of Judging 64

I started this series around DQIV for DS and when I bought DQVIII so I can get a Makai Kingdom artbook. Now I have 1-3 on GBC, 4-5 on DS, VII-VIII on psx/ps2.

Call me Ishmael.

Franzise Deauxnim wrote:
Barfight in VIII is one of the best scenes in anything.

*throws a table*

But yeah, out of the ones I've played (IV, V, VIII, and like 20 minutes of the first), V is probably my favorite too. IV was alright, but having the party chat ripped out of it kind of stripped your party members of any sort of personality after their respective chapters wrapped up.

SE is sure taking its sweet time localizing VI; at this rate IX will be out first. :yuusaku:

DQV is brilliant. :edgy: For a game from 1992 it had a great story with lots of likeable characters and emotional moments. It also had "catch and train monsters" before Pokémon even existed.

Anime Artist

I agree after Final Fantasy X there series begin to crumble.
in my opinion FF12 isnt very good at all.

DQ is so much fun, i have DQ the journey of the cursed King. they removed the 8 in Europe. :P
I liked the gameplay, the characters and the funny named Items.
Shaian F. Seiei
^Made by Drahcir.

For some reason, I'm a Big Fan of the Ancient Dragon Quest Monster series!

And the Numbers....Hmm... 1,2,3..You get the point.
Thank you Delsy for the Awesome Game Over Sig! If you're still here, I still love it!

Pffft..

From what little I played-I loved it.
I loved the music most, though-sometimes I just let it run on without progressing at all just to listen to the themes xD
Permission to use-Granted by Tonyle414 on Deviantart.com

Call me Ishmael.

^ Which one are you talking about?

A.K.A Very Melon

I've only played Dragon Quest 6: The Journey of the Cursed King. I haven't even finished it yet :/

-SS
Spoiler: StepMania vids

The master of Judging 64

Steel Samurai wrote:
I've only played Dragon Quest 6: The Journey of the Cursed King. I haven't even finished it yet :/

-SS

That actually the 8th one.

Pffft..

Steel Samurai wrote:
I've only played Dragon Quest 8: The Journey of the Cursed King.

That's the one I played.
Permission to use-Granted by Tonyle414 on Deviantart.com

A.K.A Very Melon

Judgemaster64 wrote:
Steel Samurai wrote:

-SS

That actually the 8th one.

I always thought it was 6th... Samurai fail 2 -__-

-SS
Spoiler: StepMania vids

DRAGON QUEST IX IS OUT IN A WEEK WHY IS NOBODY TALKING ABOUT IT

I don't remember the last time I was so excited to play a game. Started playing Dragon Warrior III on GBC to tide me over.

...It's actually better than I expected. I like the personality system; pretty similar to 'natures' in Pokemon.

The Man With The Lethal Pencil

Dragon Quest has been my most favorite next to the Final Fantasy series. Everything was great in it. The story,characters, character designs music. And the creative forces of Yuji Horii, Akira Toriyama & Koichi Sugiyama is what makes Dragon Quest so good.
What we got here is...failure to communicate

Dragon Quest is pretty much miles higher than where Final Fantasy has ever been. The main series never really faltered in quality whereas Final Fantasy VII, VIII, X, X-2, and XIII were pretty bad (FF XI and XIV don't really count).

Now to wait one more week by playing Final Fantasy IX (insert IX joke here) and Dragon Quest V to shave the boredom off waiting for Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies. :grey:
Inspector Grosky is prepared to arrest you in style with finesse with his chesthair sheltering innocent kittens.

Do you see the black one...or the white?

It's really a shame that I got into Dragon Quest as late as I did. I actually got into the series back in 2005, but because of circumstances, was never able to get back into it until late last year. Because of money, I've only had the opportunity to play 4 and 8. I absolutely love the series from what I've played though. I've found 8 to be a bit more humorous than the serious 4 (save for Torneko's story) and I loved seeing the cameos of Ragnar and Torneko in 8.

I think what made 8 good for me though is as recent as it is, it keeps things traditional while adding a fresh feeling to it. The overworld with the accompanying orchestrated music is absolutely gorgeous. Most of the voice acting is surprisingly well done as well, much to my shock. The battle system may not be the best, but it works nicely with this game.

My only complaint, as I'm sure with all DQ games, is the amount of grinding you got to do. Admittedly, I always found myself grinding more for gold than for levels, which was total opposite of 4 for me. I ended up always being a bit over leveled, which made the later half of the game much easier than it should have been, making it feel like I took all the challenge out of the game. It's still beautifully done nonetheless. The overworld theme holds a place near and dear to me now.

I have to say that unlike Final Fantasy, this series holds true to its roots and that's what I like. Being somewhat big into retro gaming, it's nice to see a new game reminiscent of old game play mechanics, yet keeping it fresh.
On April 3, 2016, Court Records Forums experienced a miracle upon that day.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Man...that looks dull...this actually makes me worried for KH3 (since that team worked on the battle system)

I feel the same

Call me Ishmael.

javadoz wrote:
Final Fantasy IX
Dragon Quest V

You have nice taste there.

Yeah, we should totally talk DQ9 more. I'll get it in... two weeks or so. That's when it's out in Europe. I've pre-ordered it and can't wait.

Just beat Dragon Quest V and wow.

Spoiler: Dragon Quest V Final Boss and ending spoilers
That final boss was pretty easy. I had my party consisting of Javado(main character), son, daughter, and SANCHO! :edgy: They were all around levels 39 and 35. With the constant casting of insulatle by the son, the constant usage of the sage's stone from the daughter, and Javado, the son, and SANCHO :edgy: attacking Grandmaster Nimzo and his engrish self was beaten to a pulp.

So everything is now happy and at peace, with Dr. Agon acting like his fiddley diddley self

Now to do see if I can attempt the bonus dungeon or at least wait 4 more days until I get my grubby mitts on Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies and create a 4 girl harem XD well-rounded party.
Inspector Grosky is prepared to arrest you in style with finesse with his chesthair sheltering innocent kittens.

Call me Ishmael.

Glad you liked the ending, javadoz.

Spoiler:
You didn't have any monsters in your team? I'd recommend getting a Golem, they're easy to recruit and INCREDIBLY useful in battle. They should appear near the Knick-knackatory. Also King Slime, but that might take a while. You don't need the daughter once you've gotten the wife back, just saying.

Yeah, the ending kicks major ass. The main characters have killed the equivalent of Satan together, as a family. The hero's parents can finally rest in peace. You fly on a dragon and visit all important cities and everyone is celebrating. The first town you visited, Whealbrook, is back to normal again. And after all that you return home to your castle and dance with your wife all night long. I think it's my favorite happy ending ever.

Also, which wife did you pick? I chose Debora. She seemed lonely, her snarky comments always crack me up and she's the most useful in battle. I mean, in the original bad stuff would happen if you didn't pick Bianca, but I'm glad they removed that in the DS remake.

The wife I picked was Bianca mainly due to I WAS going to marry Nera, BUUUUUUUT lets just say I woke up next to a seemingly level 8 wife at my bedside and that prompted me to restart the game and choose the level 18 Bianca.

As for your suggestion
Spoiler:
I would have the wife as a party member, but because you get her late in the game as you do (and at her original level before petrification) I let her sit out the endgame.

As for the monsters I used a slime knight and the sabercat, but I ditched them in favor of the son, daughter, and SANCHO :edgy:

dullahan1 wrote:
I have to say that unlike Final Fantasy, this series holds true to its roots and that's what I like.

This so much. I used to love Final Fantasy, but the latest entries in the series keep straying further and further from what made me like the series in the first place. DQ fills a void in my gaming that FF doesn't anymore.

I picked Nera first time through because she's a sweetie and because it irked me the way the game tried to guilt-trip me into taking Bianca. Besides, she's one of the strongest mages you can get whereas Bianca is a jack-of-all-trades and master of none. Getting Nera up to a reasonable level isn't hard at all at that point in the game anyway. I just wish she had a better in-game portrait. :yuusaku:

Deborah was my second playthrough wife. She's hilarious.

...Oh, and gameplay-wise, she can get maxed agility very easily and can equip the Hela Hammer. y helo thar metal king slimez

As far as the ending goes...
Spoiler: DQV ending spoilers durp
The ending itself was good, but the fight with Nimzo was sadly underwhelming. Hey, I get to kill a boss I've never met once and who was only mentioned four or five times all game, yay! Ladja should have been the final boss; he murders your father, makes you a slave for most of your life, kidnaps your wife and turns her and you to stone for years thereby robbing your newborn kids of their parents, and when you finally find your long-lost mother you've been searching for the whole game, he pops up and fatally wounds her. Tell me you didn't enjoy killing that bastard.

The Trusty Nudal!

I loved VIII! The storyline and engine were amazing, and the barfight was EPIC!
Signature and Avatar by the wonderful Midnight Jasper! Check out her graphics, you will be impressed!
Check out my sprites!
Creator of Leon Prinze Ace Attorney - Final Judgment (Sprites by Ceres)

Call me Ishmael.

Franzise Deauxnim wrote:
dullahan1 wrote:
I have to say that unlike Final Fantasy, this series holds true to its roots and that's what I like.

This so much. I used to love Final Fantasy, but the latest entries in the series keep straying further and further from what made me like the series in the first place. DQ fills a void in my gaming that FF doesn't anymore.

Seconded. Seconded so hard.

Franzise Deauxnim wrote:
Deborah was my second playthrough wife. She's hilarious.

...Oh, and gameplay-wise, she can get maxed agility very easily and can equip the Hela Hammer. y helo thar metal king slimez

... Now that you mention it, I never met a Metal King Slime.

Franzise Deauxnim wrote:
The ending itself was good, but the fight with Nimzo was sadly underwhelming. Hey, I get to kill a boss I've never met once and who was only mentioned four or five times all game, yay! Ladja should have been the final boss; he murders your father, makes you a slave for most of your life, kidnaps your wife and turns her and you to stone for years thereby robbing your newborn kids of their parents, and when you finally find your long-lost mother you've been searching for the whole game, he pops up and fatally wounds her. Tell me you didn't enjoy killing that bastard.

Spoiler:
Yeah, Ladja should have pulled a Kefka and betrayed Nimzo.

Also Nimzo's name in the original was "Mildrath". I think I prefer that. It sounds so Tolkien-like.

javadoz wrote:
As for the monsters I used a slime knight and the sabercat, but I ditched them in favor of the son, daughter, and SANCHO :edgy:

Both the Slime Knight and the Sabercat are great early in the game, but I never used either of them after the wedding.

3 MORE DAYSSSssssssss til Dragon Quest IX.
Marche Tobaye wrote:
Franzise Deauxnim wrote:

Spoiler:
Yeah, Ladja should have pulled a Kefka and betrayed Nimzo.

Also Nimzo's name in the original was "Mildrath". I think I prefer that. It sounds so Tolkien-like.

Spoiler:
Yeah, Ladja would make a better villain as the game would be even more emotionally involving. Also, wouldn't it be cool to play the section of the game where the son, daughter, and SANCHO :edgy: track down the main character and destone him? But then again they would want you to have an attachment to the main character himself as in this game you aren't the legendary hero, you are helping the legendary hero along to attain peace, but that's just me. :yogi:

Call me Ishmael.

3 days?! You lucky Americans... I have to wait until the 23d July... Australia haven't even gotten a release date yet though, so I shouldn't complain.

On a different note, I bought DQIV for DS. Good game, not as good as DQV though. I'm on chapter 3.

As for DQV,
Spoiler:
I agree that playing as the son, daughter and Sancho would be a cool addition to the story.

http://ds.ign.com/articles/110/1104879p1.html

Reviews are now out and about with IGN here giving it a 8.0/10.

But do these reviews make the wait more bearable? NO! :ron-jazz: A guy can't wait one more day and exactly one more hour (the posting time is wrong). :larry:

And the only reasons it didn't score higher at IGN is because 'the battle system isn't COOOOOOOOL enough' and 'the generated characters don't have their own personalities and backstories'. Both of those things should have been expected by anyone interested in the game anyway, so I'd hardly consider them negatives. It's like whining that you don't get a spread gun in Super Mario.

Oh yeah, Marche, MKSs are in the extra dungeon of DQV, somewhere in the middle to end area. I don't remember what rooms exactly, but try fighting around ten battles in each room. You should run into at least one if it spawns in that room.

DRAGON QUEST IX IS SO SOON! WHY ISN'T IT TOMORROW YET?!?

Can't wait to get me a Map leading to a dungeon full of Treasure or Metal monsters!!!

Now excuse me...Got to pass the time By playing Dragon Quest Caravan Hearts.

IX IS AWESOME

JUST THOUGHT YOU GUYS SHOULD KNOW

ok back to playing now

Dragon Quest IX IS certainly awesome. In fact I stopped right now only to post a picture of my celestrian hero http://twitpic.com/24kt8h. Just beat the Wight Knight.

God, why are all the stories in this game so sad.

I guess it's kind of the point for the hero to go to every town and make things not suck there anymore, but yeah.

Easily DS game of the year. Sorry, HGSS and AAI, you're both amazing, but DQIX is just that much more so.

Just...Barely....Beat...Final Boss...Oww... Really hard...ow...

Must...Start...Post game...Ending sad though to me...Drained....

Out of the 4-5 days I've played Dragon Quest IX, my playtime has been 39 hours and I don't think I'm close to finishing, or am I? :udgy:

Spoiler:
I am at the part where you are at Wormwood creek and have to get to upover from that cave with liquid metal slimes in it

The Twisted Samurai

I am playing 8, but I am pretty much stuck, I got no idea where to go ;_;
oh and I got the newest DS one, forgot the name, though
"The hammer that strikes too fast has no time to aim."

Call me Ishmael.

Dragon Quest Monsters >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Pokémon. Just saying.

Also 6 more days FFFFFFFFFF

javadoz wrote:
Out of the 4-5 days I've played Dragon Quest IX, my playtime has been 39 hours and I don't think I'm close to finishing, or am I? :udgy:

Spoiler:
I am at the part where you are at Wormwood creek and have to get to upover from that cave with liquid metal slimes in it

Spoiler: Actually..
You're almost done. Finish that place up, go to Upover, go through the Volcano there, Stuff happens....And then you only got about 2-3 dungeons left before the Really Hard(To me) final boss.

Oh, what level are you? My entire team was 41 When I fought the Final boss and I barely won.. Maybe I should of farmed Alchemy parts for better armor...? Nah.

Oh, Quick question to all who play 9. Whats your team?

Mines a Minstrel, Thief, Warrior, and Priest. Plan to change them...Eventually...

Currently I'm running a Minstrel training in Swords, Martial Artist training Focus, Priest training whatever the Priest-exclusive skills are, and Mage training Spellcraft. Everyone is trained a few levels as Thieves, though, for Half-Inch and the extra deftness/agility bonuses.

Right now I'm farming gold golems for money, about to head back to Lonely Peak since I skipped it.

My characters consist of:

My main character who's a minstrel and level 41- http://twitpic.com/268erq

My awesome mage with INCOMPLETE MAID OUTFIT :larry: and is level 40- http://twitpic.com/268f70

And last but not least my martial artist who dishes out pain with flailing claws at level 41- http://twitpic.com/268fw1

Spoiler: Where I'm at now
I just traversed the land of the Almighty and am now going up against General Hootingham and got beaten profusely

Another awesome thing I've found is that the Bowhole is a great place to grind with numerous liquid metal slimes about, it's like the developers sent a love letter you.
Page 1 of 4 [ 136 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station