Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station

Page 39 of 48[ 1897 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 48  Next

Re: Dangan-RonpaTopic%20Title

They updated the site for Danganronpa v3! http://www.danganronpa.com/v3/

Seems the Robot guy's a classmate, I was wrong earlier. I Wonder how he'll get along with Akamatsu. I'll try my best give a quick translation of the text here:

"The newest entry "Danganronpa v3 New Semester, New Killings" will have a fresh setting and characters.

Introducing new gameplay features like, 'Lie to gain the upper hand' or mechanics such as 'Two Sided Debate' where you split into teams to argue.

The 'Psycho-Cool' artstyle has drastically improved the the visuals and presentation, giving this semester an all new edge.

Breaking through contradictions in class trials, pinning down the culprit, it's Danganronpa as you know it.

The story is set in 'Saishyou Academy (I don't know how to translate this)'.

Kaede Akamatsu

Cheerful and forward thinking, she's also the organized type. Her strong will and demeanour puts her in the lead and drags the others around.

Monokumas (Monokumars?)

The self proclaimed children of Monokuma. They manage Saishyou Academy's killing game under Monokuma's command. Their personalities greatly differ, and it might be a bit difficult to keep track of their conversations.

(Red one to the right)

MonoTaro

The often digressing leader-like figure. He has a child-like clumsy side though."

Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...

Spoiler: Future 11
Well, that sucked. Now, I don't necessarily expect mysteries to follow Knox's Decalogue, but I'm kind of a stickler for Knox's 8th if we're meant to have any chance at solving the mystery. So, what did we know about the deaths? The victims were close to monitors (big fracking whoop, there's monitors all over the dadgum facility), the victims were killed by some kind of bladed weapon, and that somehow, everyone could be considered the attacker. Now, I'm not going to call out the brainwashing thing as violating Knox's 4th, since it's relatively easy to understand the concept, but exactly when was this clue ever given? If you say during the Despair Arc, I'm going to have to call BS, because viewers who didn't know the stories were meant to intertwine like that might not have watched the Despair Arc, and thus missed out on that vital "clue."

Also, it figures out of the four people that supposedly died in episode 10, it'd be one of the least likely survivors that ends up surviving. Seriously, Sakakura getting impaled like that, then chopping off his arm in order to stay awake this round. How in the world did he survive that? Wasn't he impaled just prior to the sleep round? He should have bled out during that time, but not only did that NOT end up happening, he still had enough blood left in him to chop his arm off, then survive to the conclusion of yet another sleep round? I know Danganronpa isn't exactly hard science or anything, but this completely breaks my suspension of disbelief.

Plus, Sakakura has the bright idea to lop his arm off, just so he can stay awake to catch the attacker, but you're telling me Kirigiri would rather die than lose her arm? Give me a break, you idiots. I'm sure I've said this before, but were I in Kirigiri's shoes, I would have kept my arm until the third round, and then lose it before the fourth if it meant keeping myself alive. Kirigiri's been one of the few to show any sense in this series, so why does she choose now of all times to act like a complete idiot!?

Honestly, the writer better have some trick up his sleeve for the last episode to make up for this baloney. I don't even care if it's revealed to be a dream or another simulation, but it's gotta be something capable of fixing this lunacy.

1000% Knight

TheDoctor wrote:
Honestly, the writer better have some trick up his sleeve for the last episode to make up for this baloney. I don't even care if it's revealed to be a dream or another simulation, but it's gotta be something capable of fixing this lunacy.

You know that this is Danganronpa we're talking about, right...?
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Bad Player wrote:
TheDoctor wrote:

My point exactly. You can't expect any decent twists out of DR. Especially the really big ones, with tend to appear out of nowhere... and then are represented in a way that I am unclear if I should hysterically laugh or be actually frightened. I mean... monokuma heads on monuments? Gimme a break, that's just... dumb.

At least be like Planet of the Apes and have the monument destroyed.

C-A

Spoiler: On The Subject of Plot Holes/Oddities…
Something that's been bothering me is how people fall into despair. So in Despair arc, seeing someone you care about die or a killing game is what sends you into despair? But what about Future arc… or any of the Danganronpa games? People watch their friends die all the time. It always seemed like Enoshima individually pecked at people's weak points to get them on her side. At least the brain thing with Chisa is more than just watching someone die.

CatMuto wrote:
Bad Player wrote:
TheDoctor wrote:

My point exactly. You can't expect any decent twists out of DR. Especially the really big ones, with tend to appear out of nowhere... and then are represented in a way that I am unclear if I should hysterically laugh or be actually frightened. I mean... monokuma heads on monuments? Gimme a break, that's just... dumb.

At least be like Planet of the Apes and have the monument destroyed.

C-A

I'll be the first to admit the state of the world being portrayed as it was in DR1 was really dumb, but really, while the endings haven't been particularly amazing, I still enjoyed getting to the endings (I mean, DR is a solid enough concept, just make the mysteries harder, and I'll be more or less okay). But in DR3 Future, I haven't been particularly fond of the journey to get to the ending, so I'm mainly hoping that's because the ending is well written for once.

TheDoctor wrote:
(I mean, DR is a solid enough concept, just make the mysteries harder, and I'll be more or less okay).

Well, yes, but they need to alter a few other things, too.
1. Make the characters actually relateable and not majorly exaggerated stereotypes; it's difficult to care about a stereotype
2. Less whacky designs. Ties with the first point, but I much prefer the beta prototype designs.
3. BLOOD IS RED!! At least give me an OPTION; it really ruins the drama of the deaths.
4. Better villains.
5. Make your plot make sense.
6. Don't make your revelations come across as pretty fucking stupid (re: Monokuma-ments)
7. Don't leave dozens of questions open; I don't care if you plan to answer them in a sequel, not everyone who has questions WILL play the sequel.

C-A

CatMuto wrote:
1. Make the characters actually relateable and not majorly exaggerated stereotypes; it's difficult to care about a stereotype
2. Less whacky designs. Ties with the first point, but I much prefer the beta prototype designs.

C-A

Or at least, make up your mind if this is supposed be taken seriously or not. If it's meant to be a murder mystery comedy, go all out. If it's meant to be taken seriously, tone down the idiocy. I mean, DRAT took the characters and made them even more exxagerated stereotypes than they were, but it works because we know we're not meant to take it seriously. But if we're actually meant to care, give us a reason to.
Spoiler:
(and while we're on that note, don't kill off the characters we care about while leaving the bums alive).

TheDoctor wrote:
CatMuto wrote:

C-A

Or at least, make up your mind if this is supposed be taken seriously or not. If it's meant to be a murder mystery comedy, go all out. If it's meant to be taken seriously, tone down the idiocy. I mean, DRAT took the characters and made them even more exxagerated stereotypes than they were, but it works because we know we're not meant to take it seriously. But if we're actually meant to care, give us a reason to.
Spoiler:
(and while we're on that note, don't kill off the characters we care about while leaving the bums alive).

That, too. I mean, I don't mind making a joke here and there, even about someone's death.
But DR just couldn't seem to decide if I'm supposed to give a crap that X just died, because everybody keeps making fun of their death. I mean, here and there, okay, but constantly? Uh, yeah, I'm really sad now that X died. And they just repeat that with Y and Z. Even demanding I care about the characters that die in the very beginning, when the only way I can get to know them better is by doing NG+ - at which point, I've already finished the game, probably stopped caring and found better characters to care about.

Spoiler: DR
I do not count Mukuro, because we knew nothing about her when she died as Enoshima-Clone and what we found out post-mortem did nothing for me. You can't tell me she's an amazing soldier who probably killed a ton of people, then turn around and expect me to see her as nothing but the poor little sister of the villain, who only did this to make her sister like her.

C-A

So they've just announced another arc of the anime-the hope arc. Is this their way of telling us the Future Arc won't resolve anything? Typical Danganronpa. It does use the mystery box trope a lot. I'm expecting a bunch of mystery boxes at the end of future now, trying to get us into this next arc.

lonechallenger wrote:
Is this their way of telling us the Future Arc won't resolve anything?

Of course it won't. If they ever bring out something about DR that actually resolves things properly, the entire universe of it would explode and end. And then, no more money.

C-A

You know what would be great? Danganronpa V3 taking place in an alternate universe where the crap with Junko never happened. Wrap up the existing plot threads in the anime you've given us, and have the new game be something completely new. Monokuma can stay since he's the series mascot, but let's have the mastermind have motives completely unrelated to despair.

Spoiler: DR3 Despair/Future
I mean, it took 2 games, a spin-off game, tie-in novels, and an anime series for them to finally explain Junko's obsession with despair in a way that made any kind of sense. And even then, the explanation given seems more along the lines of anarchy and chaos than despair.

I know this is asking a lot of the writers, but I'd just like for the mastermind's motives to make sense without having to go into a lot of detail. Heck...

Spoiler: DR2
Komaeda being the mastermind in DR2 would have been excellent. He wants the students to experience ultimate despair so they can rise above it to become ultimate hope. It's a majorly screwed up motive, but it makes enough sense that I don't have to write an essay to explain it. Despair for the sake of despair needs way too much explanation. Heck, I'd even accept that the mastermind just gets off on seeing a bunch of kids killing each other, which is somewhat close to Junko's characterization, but lacks the part where she gets off on the prospect of her own impending death.

EDIT: So, it looks like the Hope Arc may only be one episode, so it's probably just to wrap up the plot threads from both of the other arcs.

Ah, good to hear. Official site says it airs on the 29th too, pretty soon then. No more mystery boxes now please. I hope it's not a copout like the ending of DR1 and SDR2 to some extent.

TheDoctor wrote:
I know this is asking a lot of the writers, but I'd just like for the mastermind's motives to make sense without having to go into a lot of detail. Heck...

But why explain it at all? Why can't the villain just like despair because, fuck it, they like it? No real reason for 'why', they just do.

C-A

Well, that's the way they had it, but the despair thing went so far that it makes no sense without an explanation. Plus, I find villains with clear motives are usually more compelling (although, I'd say the Joker is an exception, but he's the exception, not the norm).

I watched the final episode of Future-side RAW with a few explanations in a chat because I hate subs delays, and, hmm, how should I put this?
Spoiler: Future #12
Waste of time? I don't think Hope-side can redeem anything. So they should go fan service mode, resurrect Kirigiri and make her do awesome stuff. And kill off Mitarai (along with Komaeda if he isn't dead, just for the hell of it).

In Justice We Trust

CatMuto wrote:
But why explain it at all? Why can't the villain just like despair because, fuck it, they like it? No real reason for 'why', they just do.

C-A

Frankly, that's one thing that's bugged me about the DR1 mastermind ever since I completed DR1.
Spoiler: DanganRonpa 1
The villain just being a sadist who enjoys seeing other people suffer is something I can at least understand. I think Monokuma made a fine villain in that regard. Heck, even the revelation that the whole world had descended into a chaotic state of anarchy was something I could associate with the villain liking it when other people suffered. It was when Junko derived pleasure from her own suffering, seeing everything she had worked for come crashing down and culminate in her death, that my suspension of disbelief simply shattered--and that's saying something; between a bunch of teenagers (and all from Japan, to boot) being the best in the world in their respective fields, the villain being a sadistic teddy bear, and the most prestigious high school in the world accepting you for such things as being a huge nerd or the leader of a biker gang, among other ridiculous things, I had come to expect the absurd. Junko enjoying her own defeat and execution somehow managed to clear even that high bar. My inability to like Junko--and eventually Ultimate Despair as a whole--as a villain is probably the main reason my interest in DanganRonpa has been in a steady decline.

Spoiler: DanganRonpa 3; Future Episode 9
Kyoko's death was really just the final straw for me. Frankly, at this point, even if the final episode reveals that she somehow survived, I'll probably be done with the series.

I'll always love you, Max.

I haven't really talked about this series that much but I suppose I'll give my quick thoughts

I actually thought it was really clever how the series was able to form a cohesive narrative despite jumping between past and present every other episode. The NG Codes were also a really nice touch and I like that they subtly reflected the personalities of the characters. The biggest, most awful whatever was also pretty despair-inducing

That's about it. I'll admit there were certain points when I was engaged but in typical Danganronpa fashion, the ending is a catastrophic mess. And I know Danganronpa usually gives development to characters right before they're killed but this was on a whole new level where it happened literally every single time

I thought Mitarai was shaping up to be an obvious villain but was then impressed about midway through the series when it seemed that wouldn't be the case. Mitarai was actually shaping up to be a really interesting character and now they just ruined it all over again

The way the SDR2 cast fell into despair was dumb. I remember talking on a forum about how it was dumb the entire class fell into despair and fans were bending over backwards to justify it, pointing out how each character had easily manipulatable insecurities and were already on the edge

Nope, brainwashed

I guess the series really was doomed to fail for me because I've always hated the hope/despair/kibo/zetsubou emphasis that this series has always thrown out. I didn't like it at the end of DR1 but if I had known that was the most tolerable the series would be with it, I would've been content. I seriously want a script of the first two games and the anime so I could find how many times hope and despair is said in each one. SDR2 probably tripled DR's and I guarantee this 8 hour anime had more than the 30 hour second game

This series could never have a good villain because they're all just brainwashed despair or occasionally a brainwashed hope which might be even worst. It really is just awful writing that detracts from what's laughably called the plot at this point

They did a good job of balancing the new cast and bringing back some old characters I guess. And they did tie up loose ends but I'd hardly call that impressive considering how simple the story is

I'd tell you to spoiler tag some of that, but I honestly don't care at this point.

Let me ask you, how can you tell when you screwed up with writing for your new mastermind? You end up somehow making Junko look sane in comparison.
Spoiler: DR3
I mean, let's say Naegi's right and Tengan started the killing game to force Mitarai's hand into making a hope anime to counteract the despair anime. Really? That was your plan? You couldn't have just talked to him or even forced him to do it at gunpoint? Nope! You've gotta set up a killing game that could end up killing everyone in the building, yourself included, on the outside chance that he'll see this mess and be motivated to atone for his mistakes. I'm willing to give Tengan the benefit of the doubt and assume he didn't originally plan for Mitarai to be there, but you'd think if that were the case, he'd wait until Mitarai left, or at least not drag him to the lower floors of the building along with everyone else. To make matters worse, you ensured that he couldn't use his talent to end the game early? What the frack is wrong with you!?!

Long story short, I think it's time to hang the reins of the series over to someone who knows how to write a good story, because the current writer clearly sucks at this.

1000% Knight

TheDoctor wrote:
Long story short, I think it's time to hang the reins of the series over to someone who knows how to write a good story, because the current writer clearly sucks at this.

And that wasn't obvious during DR1? :ron:

JesusMonroe wrote:
They did a good job of balancing the new cast and bringing back some old characters I guess. And they did tie up loose ends but I'd hardly call that impressive considering how simple the story is

And add in more than they tied up. Because that's what DR always does. (Plus, the way they tied up most of those loose ends was lolbrainwashing.)

Bad Player wrote:
TheDoctor wrote:

That was the first entry in the series, so I was willing to look past its rougher points at the time. The second entry was a marginal improvement, so I was hoping he was starting to get the hang of it. But then the anime comes along and it ends up making the first game look like a masterpiece in comparison? Congratulations, you just lost whatever benefit of the doubt I was giving you.

EDIT: I just thought of the perfect ending for the anime, or at least better than what we likely have in store for us.

Spoiler:
Everybody dies in the last episode. All remains survivors of the final killing, all the surviving characters from DR1, DR2, and even UDG all die. After the end credits, we cut to Naegi bolting upright in bed as he wakes up from that nightmare. Kyouko, who ways woken up by this outburst asks him what's wrong, and he responds by telling her a summary of what happened in his dream. She tells him that it was just a nightmare. "We managed to put an end to Junko's despair a long time ago, remember? Now, go back to sleep."

We never find out exactly how they put an end to Junko's despair, because that's a story that would inevitably lead to more disappointment than it all happening offscreen.

As much as I do agree that the anime was not good (the overall plot was written by Kodaka so of course he's to blame, but I think he was not involved as much as he is with the games), I won't give up on the series yet because I believe Kodaka is better at writing games than animes.
Besides, New Danganronpa V3 is a reboot, so at least there's not a
Spoiler: DR1 mastermind
Junko

appearance nor a brainwashing crap to be feared. Well, I'm not so sure about the latter, but anyways they might take this new story as an opportunity to fix what didn't work in previous entries.
I guess.

1000% Knight

Manecleis wrote:
As much as I do agree that the anime was not good (the overall plot was written by Kodaka so of course he's to blame, but I think he was not involved as much as he is with the games), I won't give up on the series yet because I believe Kodaka is better at writing games than animes.
Besides, New Danganronpa V3 is a reboot, so at least there's not a
Spoiler: DR1 mastermind
Junko

appearance nor a brainwashing crap to be feared. They might take this new story as an opportunity to fix what didn't work.
I guess.

Rebooting means getting rid of Junko. Lolbrainwashing, lolvirtualreality, lolmemoryerasure, etc can all easily still be a part of it.

Also, even though they're saying it's a reboot, I'm not going to completely discount the possibility that it'll be loljunko again (and they're saying it's a reboot so we don't expect it) until I see the v3 mastermind/ending for myself.

Bad Player wrote:
TheDoctor wrote:

Ahahaha, yeah. Pretty much. Even the writing DR1 just fell apart majorly, especially at the end.

Quote:
I guess the series really was doomed to fail for me because I've always hated the hope/despair/kibo/zetsubou emphasis that this series has always thrown out.

Uuuuurgh, it was so ANNOYING at the end of DR1 when they just kept blabbing "bla bla bla HOPE bla bla bla DESPAIR DESPAIR no HOPE bla bla" You are a videogame aimed towards teens, NOT A FUCKING SATURDAY MORNING CARTOON TRYING TO TEACH DUMB LESSONS TO DUMB CHILDREN!

Quote:
EDIT: I just thought of the perfect ending for the anime, or at least better than what we likely have in store for us.

Spoiler:
Everybody dies in the last episode. All remains survivors of the final killing, all the surviving characters from DR1, DR2, and even UDG all die. After the end credits, we cut to Naegi bolting upright in bed as he wakes up from that nightmare. Kyouko, who ways woken up by this outburst asks him what's wrong, and he responds by telling her a summary of what happened in his dream. She tells him that it was just a nightmare. "We managed to put an end to Junko's despair a long time ago, remember? Now, go back to sleep."

We never find out exactly how they put an end to Junko's despair, because that's a story that would inevitably lead to more disappointment than it all happening offscreen.

You want the anime to pull a It Was All A Dream? That would be terrible. It's such a cop-out to write; like, all that stuff that happened? Total waste of your time, since it never happened. No consequences because, pfff, it was a stupid dream.

Quote:
Also, even though they're saying it's a reboot, I'm not going to completely discount the possibility that it'll be loljunko again (and they're saying it's a reboot so we don't expect it) until I see the v3 mastermind/ending for myself.

Reboot with a new cast. I wouldn't be surprised if the mastermind turns out to not actually be Enoshima, but end up to be a character who is ABSOLUTELY IDENTICAL to Enoshima, so it still doesn't work. Rehashing the same villain(-type) over and over doesn't work.

C-A

1000% Knight

CatMuto wrote:
Reboot with a new cast. I wouldn't be surprised if the mastermind turns out to not actually be Enoshima, but end up to be a character who is ABSOLUTELY IDENTICAL to Enoshima, so it still doesn't work. Rehashing the same villain(-type) over and over doesn't work.

SHSL ??? ends up being SHSL Junko Expy? xP

Quote:
You want the anime to pull a It Was All A Dream? That would be terrible. It's such a cop-out to write; like, all that stuff that happened? Total waste of your time, since it never happened. No consequences because, pfff, it was a stupid dream.
Lol, as if everything that happened didn't turn out to be a total waste of time to begin with. :sahwit:

TheDoctor wrote:
Quote:
Lol, as if everything that happened didn't turn out to be a total waste of time to begin with. :sahwit:

You know what I mean. Like, it's a middle finger to the viewer: "were you actually invested in any of these characters? Pffffft! I fart in laughter in your general direction, you loser." I mean... okay, spoilers, but a FF VII story I have planned DOES turn out to be nothing but a dream. But I'm not adding unnecessary drama or anything to make it... you know, dramatic.

C-A

1000% Knight

Welp, finished. Kibou-hen was nothing special.

Thank god this travesty is over.

now for it to start all over again in v3

^Yeah… so many things to wrap up, so little time.

Spoiler: Hope
I'm happy to see the 77th class is alright, but man they haven't changed in the slightest. Tough experiences change people, why are they the same despite the killing game and even being ultimate despairs? Fuyuhiko and Peko only exchanged one line, I really wanted to see a tearful reunion. Komaeda realizing his name's an anagram of Naegi's would've been a cool moment too, but nope, not here. Ah well, here's hoping for v3.

Meaningful consequences? foh

Sigh. That was pretty meh. And the so called payoff at the end was pretty much pointless. If you were to cut out all the crap I ended up sitting through and just skipped to the end, I'd still be pretty disappointed.

TheDoctor wrote:
Sigh. That was pretty meh. And the so called payoff at the end was pretty much pointless.

So, basically just like playing the first game. It's DR, what were you expecting? Meaningful character development that resulted in leaving you feeling peaceful after finishing the anime? It's not Tales of the Abyss.

C-A

Danganronpa's never been very good with endings tbh. They reveal mystery box after mystery box, and when they can't withhold information anymore… sudden 180 'up to the player' sort of endings. I think 2 did it slightly better than 1, but that's not saying much.

Anybody who was looking to get a good story out of the anime will probably be disappointed with the end but I think any big Danganronpa fan should be reasonably happy/pleased with how things left off

Spoiler:
Everybody lives. The events of SDR2 (and even DR3 considering that the Future Foundation lost all its members who we didn't even get time to care about) are pointless. But if you love the SDR2 characters, you should like this ending

Hell, I'll even admit I thought it was a nice touch that Makoto become headmaster. And while Kyoko's revival was terrible, I like that Kimura died finally being able to save someone

I was fine with the resolution. What I wasn't fine with was how they handled it. For example...
Spoiler:
I'm one of the viewers who wanted Kirigiri's death reversed, but they handled it in a way that gave very little catharsis. We didn't find out she survived until the very last minute, so as far as the story is concerned, her survival didn't make much of a difference. We also didn't get to see Naegi or anyone else's reaction to her survival, so there's no emotional payoff in that respect. Finally, all she did in the epilogue was provide exposition that Naegi was the new headmaster, and that role could have been filled by anyone. So, while I was really hoping she had survived, her survival had so little narrative impact that it just felt like pointless fanservice--and it's fanservice that I wanted.

So really, for all it matters to the survivors of the original games, we may have just as well skipped to the part that shows Hajime saying he was able to revive everyone, and then skip to them rebuilding Hope's Peak with Naegi as headmaster. That's something that would have taken no more than 10 minutes to add to the end of Danganronpa 2, but they force you to waste almost 12 hours to get that info. I didn't need to know Chiaki was a real person who died, because it was bad enough when she died in the game and I found out she wasn't even real. I didn't need all that explanation for the first mutual killing (which was one of the most disturbing things I really had no desire to see in an anime, btw), and I didn't really need the explanation for how Junko brought the world to its knees, because once again, it would have taken no more than ten minutes to explain in Danganronpa 2 (or heck, even DR1).

Now again, I need to remind you that I enjoyed the games for the most part, so I really wanted to like this anime, but the way the story was handled makes me feel like it would have been better if they went the "all just a dream" route, because at least then I get the catharsis of realizing all the characters I cared nothing about were never there to begin with, so I'm not meant to care about then in the first place.

Also, regarding the survivor count BS...
Spoiler:
The generally accepted explanation for the 16 survivor is that it's Hagakure, and I'd be inclined to agree if it weren't for the fourth round. Kirigiri, Sakakura, Andou, and Mecha-gahara all supposedly died during that round. That's four people, so the survivor count should have gone down by 4, but it only went down by 3, meaning one of those people must have survived, or the robot's death didn't count (which would also mean there's another hidden participant, but...). However, we find out later that not only did Sakakura survive, but Kirigiri never actually died; so, by all rights, the survivor count should only have gone down by 2. Really the only way I can think to get around this is that either Kirigiri or Andou were in a very early stage of pregnancy, and the survivor count was accounting for the unborn baby, but when the fourth round came along, there's no way Andou's baby could have survived if she had one, and if it were Kirigiri, it's possible that the drug was enough to save her, but not the baby. That would provide a legitimate death for the counter, but nothing like that was remotely implied, so it only falls into WMG territory.

In Justice We Trust

I don't think spoilers are necessary for my post, as I'm avoiding specifics, but I've gone ahead and erred on the side of caution here.

Spoiler: Side: Hope
I think a big part of it is that they only had an episode's worth of time to both include a climax and tie up all the loose ends. The format doesn't lend itself well to that kind of resolution. Once again, I think Kodaka wrote himself into a corner. Giving all the loose ends enough time to be shown fully would have likely led to the ending being so long that it becomes tedious. However, condensing it all into one episode means a lot of the resolution just feels like exposition meant purely to answer any remaining unanswered questions. The only viable alternative I could see was to reserve one episode for just the climactic showdown and then set aside an additional episode as a sort of epilogue--and even then, I suspect an epilogue episode wouldn't go over well.

General Luigi wrote:
I don't think spoilers are necessary for my post, as I'm avoiding specifics, but I've gone ahead and erred on the side of caution here.

Spoiler: Side: Hope
I think a big part of it is that they only had an episode's worth of time to both include a climax and tie up all the loose ends. The format doesn't lend itself well to that kind of resolution. Once again, I think Kodaka wrote himself into a corner. Giving all the loose ends enough time to be shown fully would have likely led to the ending being so long that it becomes tedious. However, condensing it all into one episode means a lot of the resolution just feels like exposition meant purely to answer any remaining unanswered questions. The only viable alternative I could see was to reserve one episode for just the climactic showdown and then set aside an additional episode as a sort of epilogue--and even then, I suspect an epilogue episode wouldn't go over well.

Spoiler:
I don't know about that. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood had an entire episode devoted to what pretty much amounted to an epilogue, and it resulted in one of the best endings I've ever seen in an anime. Unless you're saying that the writing for the epilogue episode probably wouldn't go over well, in which case, I'm inclined to agree with you after this mess.

See, this is why you don't write shit in a medium that gives you a ton of stuff you need to finish, but in an extremely small timeframe.

Personally, I would never do that conclusion for Naegi, but... well, I would never tolerate him in that position. Not one that I would see him as succeeding in.

C-A

Or... maybe you just scale the story to the medium? :ron:

In Justice We Trust

TheDoctor wrote:
Spoiler:
I don't know about that. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood had an entire episode devoted to what pretty much amounted to an epilogue, and it resulted in one of the best endings I've ever seen in an anime. Unless you're saying that the writing for the epilogue episode probably wouldn't go over well, in which case, I'm inclined to agree with you after this mess.

Don't get me wrong; it can be done well. It is a big risk, though.
Page 39 of 48 [ 1897 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 48  Next

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station