Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station

Page 2 of 100[ 3975 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 100  Next
 


Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:58 am

Posts: 864

Ok, I've just got to get it off my chest: Phantom Hourglass is the only Zelda game I have played.
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Posts: 9852

dangerousoffender wrote:
Ok, I've just got to get it off my chest: Phantom Hourglass is the only Zelda game I have played.


Not... a problem? Although I admit, I am a bit surprised. But then, I guess I shouldn't be. Have you ever tried playing any of the others? It'd be nice to see someone's opinion on the other Zeldas, especially if they haven't grown up with them.

C-A
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:58 am

Posts: 864

CatMuto wrote:
dangerousoffender wrote:
Ok, I've just got to get it off my chest: Phantom Hourglass is the only Zelda game I have played.


Not... a problem? Although I admit, I am a bit surprised. But then, I guess I shouldn't be. Have you ever tried playing any of the others? It'd be nice to see someone's opinion on the other Zeldas, especially if they haven't grown up with them.

C-A



No, but I absolutely plan to. Actually, a while ago I tried to play Ocarina of Time on my PC, but something fucked up the save file and I gave up.
I'd be grateful if you indicate a game to begin the series.
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Posts: 9852

dangerousoffender wrote:
No, but I absolutely plan to. Actually, a while ago I tried to play Ocarina of Time on my PC, but something fucked up the save file and I gave up.
I'd be grateful if you indicate a game to begin the series.


A lot of people would say Ocarina because they think it's the best 3D Zelda game out there... but I disagree. But I don't really want to influence your opinion, especially on Ocarina. Like I said, I would like to see someone play the games without growing up with them and any kind of nostalgia or so clouding their minds.

If you have a 3DS, I would suggest to play Ocarina of Time on that. The Water Temple in the game was never game-breaking or overly difficult as people like to say it was in the N64/Gamecube version. It was mostly tedious, because the Iron Boots had to be put on and taken off so many times that half of the dungeon consisted of changing footwear. That was changed in the 3DS version, by the fact that the Iron Boots were now equipable items rather than just equipment.

If you like 2D games, I'd suggest the Gameboy or Super Nintendo Zelda games like Link's Awakening, Link to the Past and similar. Others say Majora's Mask is great to play, but that it's hard to play it if you don't know Ocarina... I played Ocarina and Majora and, overall, I saw no big things to Ocarina that would somehow require me to play Ocarina before Majora.

I guess almost any game is good to start at...

C-A
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Close enough...

Gender: Male

Location: A land of ignorance and fear.

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:30 pm

Posts: 14115

The oracle games on game boy colour are pretty fun too.

Also about the water temple I think the 3D effects look beautiful underwater if you can handle them.
Made by Chesu+Zombee
Image

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Posts: 9852

Pierre wrote:
Also about the water temple I think the 3D effects look beautiful underwater if you can handle them.


I turned the 3D effect on for a while when underwater and it didn't seem too exciting... then again, I'm not used to 3D effects and overall it hurts my eyes pretty fast.

C-A
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

You know, a Mario game!

Gender: Male

Location: Canada, eh?

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:05 pm

Posts: 1940

Which Zelda game to start with? Well, that depends on your preferences. Do you like 2d games? If so, then Link to The Past is a good start. Do you wanna play another game like Phantom Hourglass? If so, then Spirit Tracks is good for that. Do you like motion controls? Skyward Sword is good for that. Do you simply want an easily accessible experience? I'd recomend Ocarina 3D or Twilight Princess. Hope this helps.
My let's Play channel! Shameless plug!
Current Project: Sly Cooper & The Thievius Racoonus
My Twitter Account
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Posts: 9852

For accessable experience, TP is a good choice. Although that is the only place where I will put my foot down, you should play the Gamecube version of the game. The Wii version is not that great. The motion controls felt off, because they were never supposed to be in the game. You don't proper control of the camera due to the lack of a 2nd Analog stick. Widescreen support is not that important. Plus that whole thing with switching the world mirror-wise...

C-A
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

You know, a Mario game!

Gender: Male

Location: Canada, eh?

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:05 pm

Posts: 1940

Actually, the wii version of TP is the only version of it I've played. The reason they flipped the world is that Nintendo assumes that every gamer in the world is right handed, even though the motion controls in the game all amount to either wiggling the remote slightly, or pointing at the screen, both of which can be done with either hand just as well.
My let's Play channel! Shameless plug!
Current Project: Sly Cooper & The Thievius Racoonus
My Twitter Account
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Posts: 9852

dimentiorules wrote:
Actually, the wii version of TP is the only version of it I've played. The reason they flipped the world is that Nintendo assumes that every gamer in the world is right handed, even though the motion controls in the game all amount to either wiggling the remote slightly, or pointing at the screen, both of which can be done with either hand just as well.


I know, but it's still dumb. What was it, like 10% of humanity or every 10th person is left-handed? Either way, flipping the word for the sake of right-handed players is so dumb. It's like forcing left-handed people to use their right-hand, which was a norm centuries ago, but these days we have special notepads and all, made for left-handed people.

Also, several people who know Link, know him to be left-handed. Especially in the 3D versions of the game. Him suddenly being made right-handed for TP Wii feels off. And one reason what I don't like about right-handed Skyward Link...

C-A
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:58 am

Posts: 864

Thank you guys. Actually, I'm very adaptable when it comes to games - I don't care much if it's 2D or 3D, if the game is good, I can enjoy it either way so I don't attach myself to these designations.
I liked A LOT Phantom Hourglass. Since it's the only Zelda game I finished, I can't say it's great as a "Zelda game", but I do know it's fucking great as a game mostly because it was creative and used the DS in ways that really showed off the potential of the system.

I think I won't begin the series with Ocarina of Time. Reason: I noticed that people put this game on a pedestal. When you start a series with one game, you tend to prefer it in an irrational way. I'll begin the series with another title, probably Majora Mask or The Wind Waker, then I'll probably have a better critical view on Ocarina and on the series in general.

And *sighs* being a left-handed sucks sometimes.
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Posts: 9852

Wind Waker was hated mostly because of the sucky, "kiddy" cel-shaded graphics. These days, though, people seem to like it a lot more. I would suggest to get the Wind Waker HD version for the WiiU. Not cause of HD, but because it altered some things that make it a bit friendlier to players... ie. the Sailing in the game can be faster. The music is not replayed once you finish the song correctly, which didn't seem like much but you could have 2 game hours be nothing but replayed songs at some point. I think they may have altered the Trifroce Hunt... but I'm not sure.

Ocarina is heavily overrated. I think mostly by nostalgia fans, but... well, I was 8 years old when Ocarina came out, I grew up with that game, as well as the Gamecube port of it and I just don't see why people still think it's one of the, if not THE, best Zelda game ever made.

As said, Majora is in direct connection to Ocarina. But as I also said, I do not think somebody is required to have played Ocarina to understand what is going on in Majora.

I think you should try Spirit Track, too. I watched a playthrough and it looked quite fun, especially since the Touch Screen controls are not mandatory. Player can choose to play with buttons, something I disliked about PH. Although I found PH to be rather boring... didn't get very far.

C-A
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Do you see the black one...or the white?

Gender: Male

Location: IN SPACE!

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:06 pm

Posts: 6664

Personally, I like it, but it's not my favorite, but if you're going for 3D Zelda, I'd really recommend starting off with Ocarina of Time, despite it being overrated. My reason is that it's fully accessible, it's an easy enough game, and it gets you accustomed quite well to the 3-D controls in the 3-D Zelda games. One thing I will admit that does make it great is it did do a fantastic job going from 2-D to 3-D play and it still holds up quite well today. This is more of the instance of getting your feet wet before plunging in too deep.

As much as I love Majora's Mask and would love to suggest it as a first Zelda, this is the case where I feel it is more plunging in too deep. Majora's Mask, as much as I love it, I don't feel it's as accessible as Ocarina of Time. It's purposely made to be a bit more difficult and it really goes off the assumption that you played Ocarina of Time first. This game already assumes that you know every control, every gimmick, and whatnot that you learned from Ocarina of Time. Examples include the roll-jump for instance. Ocarina teaches you this stuff, Majora does not. I'd personally say wait on Majora's Mask and tackle it after you've done at least one 3-D Zelda first as you'll be more familiar with the mechanics.

(Just quickly read through Cat's post, glad to see I'm not the only one who feels this way.)

If you're going between Wind Waker and Majora, Wind Waker is a much better accessible game and it's another one I'm quite fond of, so I highly recommend going after that one if that is your choice. It has some references to Ocarina of Time, but I think it handles them quite tastefully and interestingly. I know people complain about the sailing, but to me, it's more fun playing the game when sailing than it is to watch people sailing!

If you're looking for 2-D, there's a lot of good stuff. If you're looking for the very basic, the Oracle games or Link's Awakening is very good. Link to the Past is a bit more complex, but it's still very great for beginners. However, unlike games starting with Link's Awakening, this game is more combat oriented than puzzle based. Most puzzles are solved by killing enemies in a room, but it has some fun weapons and there's a lot in Hyrule to explore and plenty of secrets. Another one that I feel gets overlooked and I think is great is Minish Cap. I consider it to be kind of like the polar opposite of Link to the Past, but not in a bad way. Instead of being combat based, it's more on puzzles. Where LttP has pretty much no story, Minish Cap has a full story. LttP has Ganon, Minish Cap has Vaati. Both are very great games though and deserve praise.


To make it short, if starting in 3-D, my recommendations in order are: Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker. Do Majora's Mask after you've done a 3-D game, preferably OoT.

If going into 2-D: Basically anything you can find on the GB/GBC/GBA or Link to the Past for SNES/GBA. All are good and all are very accessible.

You can easily get OoT, MM, and LttP on the Wii Virtual Console and Link's Awakening, Oracle of Ages/Seasons are on the 3DS shop at a good price so they're not that hard to get to.

Minish Cap, you'd probably have to emulate and with Wind Waker, I don't know of any easy way to get to it other than owning a Wii U and getting the HD collection or trying to find a good Gamecube copy online.
On April 3, 2016, Court Records Forums experienced a miracle upon that day.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Man...that looks dull...this actually makes me worried for KH3 (since that team worked on the battle system)


I feel the same
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: None specified

Location: I'm at soup.

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:18 pm

Posts: 1639

CatMuto wrote:
I think you should try Spirit Track, too. I watched a playthrough and it looked quite fun, especially since the Touch Screen controls are not mandatory. Player can choose to play with buttons, something I disliked about PH. Although I found PH to be rather boring... didn't get very far.

I own a copy of Spirit Tracks. No, you cannot choose to play with buttons.
Though I will say I found Spirit Tracks more enjoyable than Phantom Hourglass.
Image
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Posts: 9852

sumguy28 wrote:
CatMuto wrote:
I think you should try Spirit Track, too. I watched a playthrough and it looked quite fun, especially since the Touch Screen controls are not mandatory. Player can choose to play with buttons, something I disliked about PH. Although I found PH to be rather boring... didn't get very far.

I own a copy of Spirit Tracks. No, you cannot choose to play with buttons.
Though I will say I found Spirit Tracks more enjoyable than Phantom Hourglass.


Really? I thought there was an option... I could have mistaken it, though. I do remember playing Spirit Tracks a bit with touch screen. But that may have just been a memory of making a note on the map to solve a puzzle...

As for Minish Cap, I think it was an entertaining enough game. Not a Zelda game I'll play several times, I felt like the game was too short. And the ending was very lackluster... it felt like, Poof! Done. Although the idea of this game having the sole purpose of explaining where Link's hat comes from was already pretty silly to me...

Something I liked was the little figurines you make, like the pictograph figurines you make in Wind Waker. Downside is, that it seems to be pre-determined what Figurine you get, as soon as you have handed over a number of Seashells, and not determined at random when you pull the trigger.
Although pulling the trigger was a tedious thing to do... I still have the majority of figurines to go, but still.

Minish Cap is pretty friendly. Some of the puzzles are a bit difficult to figure out, those stupid ice-block puzzles, but overall the dungeons and other puzzles weren't too difficult, even for a "seasoned Zelda player". The sidequest of the Kinstones was neat and helpful... although I will admit, it annoys me a little that every single time I pick up a Kinstone, it tells me what it does.

C-A
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Posts: 9852

I have a question about Princess Maker 4. Does anyone other than me play that?

My question is, I seem to have a really easy time getting money in the game. Like, the annual salary I get in September is at least 3.000 G or even goes so high as being 12.000 G! It's not bad, I mean, it's great that I can buy the stuff I may need for certain Endings but there are two downsides.

1. Daratan's visits get really frequent and annoy me
2. It's really difficult to get the Ending of my daughter marrying Daratan, which requires me to have under 99 G at the end of the game.

Is it normal to get that much money in Princess Maker 4? I remember cringing every time I looked at the Per Day payment of classes in Princess Maker 2, but here it's the opposite end of the spectrum and still annoying me.

Just saying, I'm playing the DS version as a Rom... if it's a case of the Rom being the reason, I will resort to importing the PSP version. Because I really want to have voices for all the characters...

C-A
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

You know, a Mario game!

Gender: Male

Location: Canada, eh?

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:05 pm

Posts: 1940

I've heard about princess maker, but I've never played it. Isn't it possible for your daughter to become a prostitute in that game? I don't think any of them have been released in english, which is why I've never played them, as I don't understand Japanese.
My let's Play channel! Shameless plug!
Current Project: Sly Cooper & The Thievius Racoonus
My Twitter Account
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

迷探偵

Gender: None specified

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:27 am

Posts: 2231

Ok, that buy 2 games, get one free (of select titles) campaign of Nintendo of Japan is pretty awesome (mainly because I hadn't registered anything yet, so I was suddenly entitled to a couple of free games). So I just got Fire Emblem and Ocarina of Time, and I can get one other game. Not sure what to get though; Star Fox 64 looks nice, but I already have the original one (then again, I also have OoT), and Mario Tennis Open... doesn't seem as fun as the original one...
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Rebel Scum

Gender: Male

Rank: Moderators

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:06 pm

Posts: 6928

Ash wrote:
Ok, that buy 2 games, get one free (of select titles) campaign of Nintendo of Japan is pretty awesome (mainly because I hadn't registered anything yet, so I was suddenly entitled to a couple of free games). So I just got Fire Emblem and Ocarina of Time, and I can get one other game. Not sure what to get though; Star Fox 64 looks nice, but I already have the original one (then again, I also have OoT), and Mario Tennis Open... doesn't seem as fun as the original one...

It's graphics, not text, so I can't look up all these words I don't knowwwwwww Dx

So if I understand it correctly, if you buy two games from this list, you get one of those 14 games for free?

Also, do you have to be a Club Nintendo member to do it, and register the games you bought and stuff?
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

迷探偵

Gender: None specified

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:27 am

Posts: 2231

Yes, you need to be a Club Nintendo member: you register the games there (or through answering the questionnaire for DL versions) and with every two games you're able to get a DL code for one of the fourteen titles (you can get up to three games).
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Fate Testarossa

Gender: Male

Location: Uminari City

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:29 pm

Posts: 901

Mario Tennis isn't bad. It's just... Similar to the N64 one.
Image

Fate is made by クロス
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Rebel Scum

Gender: Male

Rank: Moderators

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:06 pm

Posts: 6928

Ash wrote:
Yes, you need to be a Club Nintendo member: you register the games there (or through answering the questionnaire for DL versions) and with every two games you're able to get a DL code for one of the fourteen titles (you can get up to three games).

Oh! I just noticed/realized that there are multiple pages to the list! Hmm.......

When going through it, I saw the download version of OoT3D, but not the physical version... That's sort of important, because it'd be my 6th game >_> Whatever, I can just get Pokemon X/Y as the 6th game if I need it, and two free games is still really awesome.

Thanks for the heads-up about this, Ash. I doubt I would've found out about it otherwise ^_^

EDIT: Apparently I have seven, even without OoT3D... I missed both VLR and FF Theathrythm the first time I went through the list ^^"

But yaaaaay. Now to decide between Mario Tennis and Culdcept...
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

迷探偵

Gender: None specified

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:27 am

Posts: 2231

Heh, I had a lot more codes lying around than I had initially thought; a couple of second hand games still had unused codes ^^' Still not sure what I'll take as my last game though. Culdcept seems kinda interesting too now...
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Close enough...

Gender: Male

Location: A land of ignorance and fear.

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:30 pm

Posts: 14115

You lucky Japanese 3DS owners :larry:
Made by Chesu+Zombee
Image

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

迷探偵

Gender: None specified

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:27 am

Posts: 2231

There have been similar campaigns outside Japan, right? I think there was a Shin Megami Tense 4i + Fire Emblem = store credit recently, and a buy three, get one 3DS game free in the summer here Europe too. While I'm definitely happy with my three free games, the non-Japanese campaigns did offer more recent titles compared to the campaign going on now.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Close enough...

Gender: Male

Location: A land of ignorance and fear.

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:30 pm

Posts: 14115

Ash wrote:
There have been similar campaigns outside Japan, right? I think there was a Shin Megami Tense 4i + Fire Emblem = store credit recently, and a buy three, get one 3DS game free in the summer here Europe too. While I'm definitely happy with my three free games, the non-Japanese campaigns did offer more recent titles compared to the campaign going on now.


The SMT + FE one was America only as SMT isn't out here in Europe yet.

Though true Europe did get the buy 3 get a third free deal but I thought the Japanese got a similar deal around the same time as that one in addition to this one?
Made by Chesu+Zombee
Image

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Posts: 9852

Pierre wrote:
You lucky Japanese 3DS owners :larry:


I have a Japanese 3DS but I know nothing about any codes or anything like that...

C-A
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

迷探偵

Gender: None specified

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:27 am

Posts: 2231

^For every two games (from this list; basically all full-priced games) you can get one of the fourteen titles here (DL version, up to three times). You need a Japanese Club Nintendo account; you either register the codes packed with physical copies through the Club Nintendo site (the yellow piece of paper), or you answer a questionnaire for DL versions you bought (within 28 days of purchase, you'll have to connect your Club Nintendo account to your 3DS account though).

Edit: it wasn't within 7 days ^^'
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear


Last edited by Ash on Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Rebel Scum

Gender: Male

Rank: Moderators

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:06 pm

Posts: 6928

Ash wrote:
You need a Japanese Club Nintendo account; you either register the codes packed with physical copies through the Club Nintendo site (the yellow piece of paper), or you answer a questionnaire for DL versions you bought (within 7 days of purchase, you'll have to connect your Club Nintendo account to your 3DS account though).

The DL questionnaire needs to be within 7 days of purchase?! :ack:

...Well, I still have 6 physical games that (should) work ^_^

How exactly do you get your free game after registering the games?
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

迷探偵

Gender: None specified

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:27 am

Posts: 2231

Oh, oops, I mixed up things. You have to answer the questionnaire within 28 days after purchase (through the site; I assume that by linking your 3DS to your Club Nintendo account, the questionnaire will appear on your Club Nintendo profile page).

And just register your games on the Club Nintendo site; it will tell you when you're eligible for a free game.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Posts: 9852

The following 'conversation' took place a few minutes ago while I was playing Kuroshitsuji - Phantom and Ghost. I encountered a story-related mini-game which involved dancing. According to the tutorial and the gameplay, I have to tap the screen and have the constantly moving arrow stop in the turquoise section of the bar to do... something. I dunno, get a good result, I'm guessing although it looks like I'm trying to pass through the various dancing couples to a part of the room.
However, I failed the game due to a lag resulting between tapping the screen and the arrow actually stopping.

> Game Failed
Me: Aw screw you, too, game! Lizzie liked my dancing with her as Ciel! She gave me two Excellent still shots and hearts floating out of her several times!
> Retry/Quit
Me: And most of all, my failing at dancing as Ciel is absolutely canon, because according to the manga I read, Ciel is bad at dancing, whether he does the male or female steps. So being in canon should mean that I win, right? Right? Aw fuck it, I'll redo the mini game...

C-A
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

迷探偵

Gender: None specified

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:27 am

Posts: 2231

I am always surprised when I see (often not very experienced) reviewers starting their story with... an explanation of what every button does in a game. I'd read a manual if I was really interested in what the A button would do in game X (and nowadays, you don't even need to, as they will explain it in-game anyway); why would anyone think this is an interesting way to do a game review? (a random thought I had as I was going through reviews of Disaster: Day of Crisis. Is it really that essential to tell the reader you can run with B?)
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Close enough...

Gender: Male

Location: A land of ignorance and fear.

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:30 pm

Posts: 14115

Ash wrote:
I am always surprised when I see (often not very experienced) reviewers starting their story with... an explanation of what every button does in a game. I'd read a manual if I was really interested in what the A button would do in game X (and nowadays, you don't even need to, as they will explain it in-game anyway); why would anyone think this is an interesting way to do a game review? (a random thought I had as I was going through reviews of Disaster: Day of Crisis. Is it really that essential to tell the reader you can run with B?)


What did the reviews for that game say?

I enjoyed it but I don't know if it was commercially successful
Made by Chesu+Zombee
Image

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

迷探偵

Gender: None specified

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:27 am

Posts: 2231

I don't know how it did commercially, but most reviews seem to agree that it is an interesting, but definitely not flawless game. It's a bit shizofrenic in regards of gameplay and not everything works well (THE DRIVING), but the concept and the (intentional) B-movie-ness is appreciated it seems.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Rebel Scum

Gender: Male

Rank: Moderators

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:06 pm

Posts: 6928

I finished SDR2 a few days ago... MUCH better than the first game. Presents were just as bad but FTEs were handled a bit better, the trial minigames (esp the 'testimonies') tended to be pretty bad, but the mysteries were definitely a LOT better. The first four chapters were all good. I didn't really like chapter five, and I liked the direction chapter six went at the start, but then it just got really silly.

I do, however, LOVE how
Spoiler: SDR2
Hinata won by turning into Ishimaru <3

I didn't like how in ch6, the game felt more like "a continuation of DR1" than its own game, however. I also still find it kinda ridiculous how the apocalypse was engineered by a 15-year old fashionista.



In addition to Fire Emblem, I got Kid Icarus for free, yaaay! It's sorta fun but the controls are just T_T_T_T_T_T_T_T (the fact that I'm a lefty doesn't help at all.) Also I can barely understand what they're saying, though. I should probably keep at it, though... Definitely seems like a good way to up my listening skills.

I also got Pokemon Y (which I'm enjoying a lot more than the Gen V games, although new exp share is way too OP), so if I get one more game before January, I get the third free game...!
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Posts: 9852

Ash wrote:
I am always surprised when I see (often not very experienced) reviewers starting their story with... an explanation of what every button does in a game.


When I will do my reviews, I guess I will not do that. Depending on the game, I will probably start with a snarky comment of revealing a spoiler which is not a spoiler. FF VII I will have so much fun ripping into that particular scene which is not a spoiler, it's not surprising or anything like that.

Only time I can think about talking about what a button does in a game is when it's difficult to figure it out or it's just such a dumb thing to do. Like Blade Dancer, I will mention how you have to press Triangle to focus on something and then another button to do an action - Talk, go through doors, select, etc, etc.

C-A
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

迷探偵

Gender: None specified

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:27 am

Posts: 2231

Bad Player wrote:
I finished SDR2 a few days ago... MUCH better than the first game. Presents were just as bad but FTEs were handled a bit better, the trial minigames (esp the 'testimonies') tended to be pretty bad, but the mysteries were definitely a LOT better. The first four chapters were all good. I didn't really like chapter five, and I liked the direction chapter six went at the start, but then it just got really silly.

I do, however, LOVE how
Spoiler: SDR2
Hinata won by turning into Ishimaru <3

I didn't like how in ch6, the game felt more like "a continuation of DR1" than its own game, however. I also still find it kinda ridiculous how the apocalypse was engineered by a 15-year old fashionista.


In addition to Fire Emblem, I got Kid Icarus for free, yaaay! It's sorta fun but the controls are just T_T_T_T_T_T_T_T (the fact that I'm a lefty doesn't help at all.) Also I can barely understand what they're saying, though. I should probably keep at it, though... Definitely seems like a good way to up my listening skills.


I actually think that DanRon2's chapter five was the best of the whole series. Everything that was said and done in the events up to that chapter worked really well to lead into the motive behind chapter five IMHO. And yes, the game's finale ties in strongly with the previous game, but it works better because of it. A lot of DanRon2 works because it interacts with the previous work at many levels, both story-wise and meta-wise (Komaeda's name and voice actress are an obvious example).

And Icarus has a fantastic script and great voice actors (Takayama Minami really nails Pit / BraPi), so it is really worth listening to.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Rebel Scum

Gender: Male

Rank: Moderators

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:06 pm

Posts: 6928

Ash wrote:
I actually think that DanRon2's chapter five was the best of the whole series. Everything that was said and done in the events up to that chapter worked really well to lead into the motive behind chapter five IMHO.

It's true that the lead-up was really great, but I just really don't like
Spoiler: SDR2
suicide solutions. Even when it's a "decent" suicide (ex SDR2-5) as opposed to "lame" suicides (ex DR1-4).

I also really thought Komaeda was the true murderer. I know it wouldn't have worked for story purposes, but they could have tried it at least! In chapter 2, Monobear seriously considers the "Kuzu was the murderer, and Peko was merely the murder weapon" thing, but they don't even try to argue a similar thing in ch5?


Quote:
And yes, the game's finale ties in strongly with the previous game, but it works better because of it. A lot of DanRon2 works because it interacts with the previous work at many levels, both story-wise and meta-wise

Yeah, I liked the game's connections with the previous game... until the very end, where I thought it jumped the shark. (I really don't like Dangan Ronpa's tendency to come up with crazy-sounding vague incidents, and then for them to make no sense when they do get explained.)

Quote:
(Komaeda's name and voice actress are an obvious example).

Oh! I didn't notice the thing with Komaeda until you mentioned it just now. "It's Naegi Makoto"! xD

Quote:
And Icarus has a fantastic script and great voice actors (Takayama Minami really nails Pit / BraPi), so it is really worth listening to.

Yeah, I could tell that just from the tutorial video :P
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Posts: 9852

Persona 2: Innocent Sin is kinda fun up to now. Talking to the demons and doing a Roulette-ish conversation to form a Pact or get Tarot Cards from the im kinda fun. But I also got really annoyed and bored with it after about 10 battles.
The battle system is so slow!
Move already! If I'm gonna pick Auto Battle, I want you to be fast!

C-A
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

You know, a Mario game!

Gender: Male

Location: Canada, eh?

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:05 pm

Posts: 1940

I don't particularly like RPGs, to be honest. They just seem too slow paced and repetitive at times to me, which is why I love the Mario and Luigi series; you always have to be doing something, you're not just picking commands, waiting for your opponent to attack, then repeating it again.
My let's Play channel! Shameless plug!
Current Project: Sly Cooper & The Thievius Racoonus
My Twitter Account
Page 2 of 100 [ 3975 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 100  Next
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

 Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum
Jump to:  
cron
News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list
Powered by phpBB

phpBB SEO