Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station

Page 4 of 100[ 3988 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 100  Next
 


Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Close enough...

Gender: Male

Location: A land of ignorance and fear.

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:30 pm

Posts: 14126

Jecht chose Tidus because he knew that like him, he wouldn't really go along with everything that went down in Spira, he knew he'd rebel.

I suppose the only reason Jecht and co didn't succeed in his place was they weren't strong enough to beat Yunalesca when challenging her.

Though becoming a Guardian is a very cultural thing of Tidus to do I'd argue and he learns Al Bhed from the primers which shows an interest in Spiran culture again I guess.

The point of Tidus was that he didn't mesh well though.
Made by Chesu+Zombee
Image

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Posts: 9855

Well Tidus basically chose to become a guardian because Yuna wanted him to. And, as any heterosexual man with his eye set on a hot chick, he agrees. As for the Al Bhed Primer thing, well, we could say they don't "count" as I can think of only... two or maybe three that are mandatory or automatically obtained.
One when he first bumps into Rin at the little pit stop.
The others I don't remember but I think there's one when he talks to Rin on the airship...?

C-A
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Close enough...

Gender: Male

Location: A land of ignorance and fear.

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:30 pm

Posts: 14126

CatMuto wrote:
Well Tidus basically chose to become a guardian because Yuna wanted him to. And, as any heterosexual man with his eye set on a hot chick, he agrees. As for the Al Bhed Primer thing, well, we could say they don't "count" as I can think of only... two or maybe three that are mandatory or automatically obtained.
One when he first bumps into Rin at the little pit stop.
The others I don't remember but I think there's one when he talks to Rin on the airship...?

C-A


My point was more that they are books, just pages with words, he doesn't have to read them and extract knowledge from them but he does.

It's totally not his fault that the only collection of Al Bhed primers are a randomly scattered across the world :ron: Really that's as much a nuisance as anything is.
Made by Chesu+Zombee
Image

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Posts: 9855

Question... which is the first Shin Megami Tensei game? The Super Nintendo or the Gameboy one? Or is one simply a port of the other?

C-A
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

You know, a Mario game!

Gender: Male

Location: Canada, eh?

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:05 pm

Posts: 1941

I have no clue what the heck you guys are talking about. I know next to nothing about Final Fantasy or Shin Megami Tensei. I don't own any non Nintendo systems, so I have no way of playing most of those games, and I had no idea that there were SMT games for the Super Nintendo and Gameboy. Were they only released in Japan?
My let's Play channel! Shameless plug!
Current Project: Sly Cooper & The Thievius Racoonus
My Twitter Account
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Posts: 9855

Yes. SMT was Japan-Only for a long time. And I only know cause I looked up Shin Megami Tensei specifically on gamefaqs, to find out which game is on what console.

C-A
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

You know, a Mario game!

Gender: Male

Location: Canada, eh?

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:05 pm

Posts: 1941

Hmmm.... I guess it's just like Fire Emblem and fortune street in that it took years to get it localized. What was the first game to be localized? Persona 3?
My let's Play channel! Shameless plug!
Current Project: Sly Cooper & The Thievius Racoonus
My Twitter Account
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Fate Testarossa

Gender: Male

Location: Uminari City

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:29 pm

Posts: 901

Wikipedia says the SNES version was the first SMT game.
Image

Fate is made by クロス
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Posts: 9855

You know, it happened again. In Tales of the Abyss 3DS, I have not managed to fully finish the game before. I did get past the halfpoint of the game and then spend a good 2 - 3 hours at the Casino, racking up chips, and I realized that I had forgotten to get the Key of Darkness, as well as see one or two scenes for the Cecille and Frings quest before fighting at the Absorb Gate.

This time around, new playthrough, I recently started playing it again. I had one savefile before fighting at the Absorb Gate and, afterwards, made a new save slot for afterwards. I get about an hour in, I realize that I again forgot to get the Key of Darkness.
So I had to re-load the first save file, get the key, fight the battle again - see the scene and play the previous scenes a second time. Oh man... I know this may seem silly, since the Key of Darkness can easily be gotten on a next playthrough, but I want to manage to do as much 100% as I can at this point. And I'm just glad that, this time, I remembered to do all the scenes for that stupid Cecille and Frings quest, with only two left and those are not until much later in the game.

One giant negative for Abyss: tons of sidequests, but tiny timeframes and easy to miss.

C-A
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Expert bluffer

Gender: Female

Location: On the brink of sanity

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:08 pm

Posts: 135

For some reason I haven't even gotten past the--third boss, is it?--in Tales of the Abyss 3D. No matter how much I whack, smack, and pummel this loser, it's taking forever to defeat it. After using all my health items, I had to run away like a mad headless chicken. I guess this means I have to go back to grinding.
Oh, but actually right now I'm replaying Fire Emblem: Awakening. For the fourth time. Ah, so fun.
"Your argument is like a naked banana--it simply lacks a peel." --Phoenix Wright

"I'll gladly take your 1 cent!" --Miles Edgeworth

Image
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Posts: 9855

DragonCactus wrote:
For some reason I haven't even gotten past the--third boss, is it?--in Tales of the Abyss 3D. No matter how much I whack, smack, and pummel this loser, it's taking forever to defeat it. After using all my health items, I had to run away like a mad headless chicken. I guess this means I have to go back to grinding.


The robot or the little girl and her monsters at the castle?

C-A
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Zoinks

Gender: Male

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:47 pm

Posts: 1911

Funny coincidence, I've been playing Tales of the Abyss too, and I'm getting annoyed at the fact that I seem to be missing alot of sidequests. Guide dang it.

The rest of the game's okay, though! Overall the game feels like a solid jRPG, with the usual stereotypes and all that jazz, but I'm not complaining because for the most part it's executed fairly well.

One thing that I find really weird about the game is

Spoiler:
I'm fairly sure I'm at least halfway through the game, but it's really weird how the motives of every character seem a bit, well, jumbled up. I'm still not sure whether Asch is on *our* side or not, Van seems to be up to some really crazy shit but he seems open to conversation with the 'enemy' so often it's insane, and Mohs is just like FGSFDS. It's kinda funny in a way because usually these scenarios are pretty clear-cut in most jRPGs, but at this point in Tales of the Abyss, there are more shades of grey than bad Twilight fanfiction.

3DS Friend Code: 5129-1407-0950

| -#courtrecords- | -Last.fm- | -Twitter- |
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Posts: 9855

Yeah, that's a problem with Abyss. My suggestion to first time players is always: Fuck the sidequests and just play the game for the story. Afterwards, you can use almost any guide to make sure you do not miss a single sidequest. I only make sure of getting sidequests because, dammit, I have played the game multiple times.

Half point of the game? Exactly where would that be? Cause I can tell you, what may seem like the final dungeon, what with its goal and the conversations and all the build-up, it is not the final dungeon. There's still a whole arc of game to be done.
Although, I think, the 3rd Arc of the game is the shortest.

C-A
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Expert bluffer

Gender: Female

Location: On the brink of sanity

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:08 pm

Posts: 135

CatMuto wrote:
DragonCactus wrote:
For some reason I haven't even gotten past the--third boss, is it?--in Tales of the Abyss 3D. No matter how much I whack, smack, and pummel this loser, it's taking forever to defeat it. After using all my health items, I had to run away like a mad headless chicken. I guess this means I have to go back to grinding.


The robot or the little girl and her monsters at the castle?

C-A

Pretty sure it was the little girl. The one with the pink hair. Either I'm going to have to resort to the 'come back at level 5000' tactic or I'm doing something wrong here.
"Your argument is like a naked banana--it simply lacks a peel." --Phoenix Wright

"I'll gladly take your 1 cent!" --Miles Edgeworth

Image
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Posts: 9855

DragonCactus wrote:
Pretty sure it was the little girl. The one with the pink hair. Either I'm going to have to resort to the 'come back at level 5000' tactic or I'm doing something wrong here.


Yeah, Arietta is usually the boss that people have trouble with the first time around. There are three enemies, one of them is a spell caster, you can't get much EXP at that point and you don't have AD Skills that make spells uninterruptable.

With Arietta, I tried to control my main, Luke or Guy, to wail on Arietta and have Tear only heal - maybe even shortcut her spells so she won't do anything stupid as she is prone to do, despite settings - and then have Jade and usually Anise in the back, Jade as a caster on the others and Anise as a melee-caster mixture.

Arietta has the lowest HP, so I usually go for her first... although the Liger can be pretty bad, too.

C-A
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Expert bluffer

Gender: Female

Location: On the brink of sanity

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:08 pm

Posts: 135

CatMuto wrote:
Yeah, Arietta is usually the boss that people have trouble with the first time around. There are three enemies, one of them is a spell caster, you can't get much EXP at that point and you don't have AD Skills that make spells uninterruptable.

With Arietta, I tried to control my main, Luke or Guy, to wail on Arietta and have Tear only heal - maybe even shortcut her spells so she won't do anything stupid as she is prone to do, despite settings - and then have Jade and usually Anise in the back, Jade as a caster on the others and Anise as a melee-caster mixture.

Arietta has the lowest HP, so I usually go for her first... although the Liger can be pretty bad, too.

C-A

I see, now that sounds like a tactic I could use. I should go resurrect the game in that case, so, thanks.
"Your argument is like a naked banana--it simply lacks a peel." --Phoenix Wright

"I'll gladly take your 1 cent!" --Miles Edgeworth

Image
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Posts: 9855

Question, is Tales of Graces/Tales of Graces f worth it? I mean, what I know from Radiant Mythology 3, I know that the Graces characters cannot jump and that Cheria has some neat skills and Hi Ougi. I also know that there's this robot thing in the party and that there's apparently a Childhood Mode that includes some plot points or so... Is it worth it, to buy it?

C-A
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: None specified

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:47 pm

Posts: 970

I just finished the visual novel G-Senjou no Maou, and I was overall rather pleased. The soundtrack was fantastic, most of the voice actors did a stellar job, the main storyline (the only one I finished) was interesting and Haru Usami, the game's main heroine, is one of the better video game characters I've ever seen.

However, I found the protagonist to be shallow and rather unlikeable, some themes/arcs dragged on for a bit too long and that the 'true ending' was not as satisfying as the 'fake-out ending'. Also, I feel like they could've done a better job of exploring some of the dark themes in the story, like 'what is evil' or 'where does evil come from'. As it stands now, they only scratch the surface of it, and when they do, they either make it sound pretentious or like a bunch of poppycock.

Has anyone else played the game? I'm curious to hear somebody else's opinions.
Image
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Zoinks

Gender: Male

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:47 pm

Posts: 1911

CatMuto wrote:
Half point of the game? Exactly where would that be? Cause I can tell you, what may seem like the final dungeon, what with its goal and the conversations and all the build-up, it is not the final dungeon. There's still a whole arc of game to be done.
Although, I think, the 3rd Arc of the game is the shortest.

C-A


Well, currently
Spoiler:
The gang is on its way to Mt. Roneal. It certainly seems like shit's about to go down...

3DS Friend Code: 5129-1407-0950

| -#courtrecords- | -Last.fm- | -Twitter- |
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Posts: 9855

Yeah that's pretty much close to the half point of the game. As said, there's a 3rd Arc afterwards so... the build up is done nicely.

I bought Tales of Graces f, cause I wanted to try it out. What I know of the Graces characters via RM3 is Asbel is all "I MUST PROTECT EVERYONE! I WILL BECOME A HERO!" but depending on his attitude and English Voice, I may find it more bearable than Snow. I mean, I know Asbel's Japanese voice did a decent job... I still find him a bit silly with the "Friendship! And protecting everyone!" thing, but I blame RM3 for that... after all, they reduce everyone to 1 Dimensions.

C-A
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Apollon Flame

Gender: Male

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:14 pm

Posts: 1638

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/12/23/br ... game-year/

Like someone else said in another forum I visit: looks like a lot of companies nowadays want to annualize their franchises. :/
A King

in name


alone...
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Close enough...

Gender: Male

Location: A land of ignorance and fear.

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:30 pm

Posts: 14126

Scent wrote:
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/12/23/bravely-second-producer-aims-release-new-bravely-game-year/

Like someone else said in another forum I visit: looks like a lot of companies nowadays want to annualize their franchises. :/


Looking forward to Bravely Third! *shot*

Though it's a good game but I get the feeling you are disappointed in the idea?

If they did do it I wish they'd just get over it and call it Final Fantasy....but I guess 13 dragged that name through the mud a bit...it just seems redundant to release great RPG games from Square and NOT call them FF's. Especially when the spells and weapons are all the same.
Made by Chesu+Zombee
Image

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Apollon Flame

Gender: Male

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:14 pm

Posts: 1638

Pierre wrote:
Looking forward to Bravely Third! *shot*

lol my thoughts exactly xD

Pierre wrote:
Though it's a good game but I get the feeling you are disappointed in the idea?

Oh! Do not confuse me! I recognize that Bravely Default is the next Final Fantasy and Square Enix's best IP since TWEWY, but I am not disappointed, I am indifferent, really. I wish them Godspeed and that they DO NOT make a yearly product with the quality such as Activision's Call of Duty. -.-"

Pierre wrote:
If they did do it I wish they'd just get over it and call it Final Fantasy....

Y'know, I was thinking the EXACT. SAME. THING. The "Bravely" series is starting to become to new Final Fantasy, 'cept with some partial continuity. It's like Sakaguchi's "Last Story": Last = Final; Story = Fantasy, derp. :yogi:

Pierre wrote:
but I guess 13 dragged that name through the mud a bit...

As standalone titles, the FF13 trilogy is pretty mediocre, but not bad. As Final Fantasy titles, they represent NOTHING the first nine games established. Fabula Nova Crystalis, which is the world of every Final Fantasy game with XIII in it, was supposed to be a sort of "weird" project where different prospects of Square Enix would let loose their talents with certain specifications. This is where XIII, Agito and Versus come in (which the latter both being better representatives of the Final Fantasy ideal more than XIII). FF13 titles sold satisfactorily, but I wouldn't say they tarnished the FF brand, just that XIII, XIII-2 and Lightning Returns don't represent anything FF, they're just like sidegames. Meanwhile, you have Versus XIII which was delayed AS HELL and got renamed to Final Fantasy XV.

After all this absence from "classic" Final Fantasy, it's about time they make a game where you play as a party of four individuals: a warrior, a monk, a white mage and a black mage, trying to rescue the four crystals in order to save the world from impending doom (I know 4 Warriors of Light was for this, but I'm talking on a bigger scale, on a home console, something big, something HD, and with a simple, yet unique gameplay, nothing about Sphere Grid, License Board, Crystarium, none of that poop, please).
A King

in name


alone...
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Posts: 9855

Quote:
Story = Fantasy


Story does not necessarily mean Fantasy. Just pointing that out.

Also, I fail to see how XIII or its series is what dragged Final Fantasy through the mud. Previous FFs had just as much trouble and had nothing to do with the "classic" FF games. Heck, from VI onwards, you had nothing to do with having to save the four Crystals anymore.

And FF already did tons of other stuff, got scared off and went back to the roots and people hated it. VIII was very different from the previous ones, with monsters leveling up with you, GFs although you could call them Espers, drawing magic rather than owning it, equipping stuff for battle, etc, etc and people hated it.
It was too different.
They go back to their roots in IX, with the animal trait hero, the princess, the medieval setting of the story, the more natural magic and all from the previous FFs. And people were split between liking it for not being like VIII and hating it because it was too much the same.

Fans are unpleaseable, they can't win. I think they should just do what they want and fuck what the fans think. They'll still buy it, just to play it and make their opinion of it. Sometimes it may take a bit, but they could end up loving it. It took me two tries to get through the Intro of XIII (thanks very much, Snow :dahlia: ) and I love the game.

C-A
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Close enough...

Gender: Male

Location: A land of ignorance and fear.

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:30 pm

Posts: 14126

CatMuto wrote:
Quote:
Story = Fantasy


Story does not necessarily mean Fantasy. Just pointing that out.

Also, I fail to see how XIII or its series is what dragged Final Fantasy through the mud. Previous FFs had just as much trouble and had nothing to do with the "classic" FF games. Heck, from VI onwards, you had nothing to do with having to save the four Crystals anymore.

And FF already did tons of other stuff, got scared off and went back to the roots and people hated it. VIII was very different from the previous ones, with monsters leveling up with you, GFs although you could call them Espers, drawing magic rather than owning it, equipping stuff for battle, etc, etc and people hated it.
It was too different.
They go back to their roots in IX, with the animal trait hero, the princess, the medieval setting of the story, the more natural magic and all from the previous FFs. And people were split between liking it for not being like VIII and hating it because it was too much the same.

Fans are unpleaseable, they can't win. I think they should just do what they want and fuck what the fans think. They'll still buy it, just to play it and make their opinion of it. Sometimes it may take a bit, but they could end up loving it. It took me two tries to get through the Intro of XIII (thanks very much, Snow :dahlia: ) and I love the game.

C-A


Not necessarily true. I can promise you I'm not supporting anything else to do with 13 because they "Don't care what the fans think". In fact I didn't even buy a Play Arts Snow or Sazh figure because the money would somehow end up supporting that branch. I bought FFXIII-2 to show my support for Square but I sorely regret that decision.

Also Final Fantasy doesn't have to be about Crystals at all times in my eyes, since at least half the games aren't about crystals it's not intrinsic with what final fantasy is for me. It's not about being like the first few Final Fantasy games, it's about making a high quality story-rich RPG with a good interesting world you can explore. You know one of the best things about Ni-No Kuni? It has a world map, an overworld you can run over and find treasure on and find super secret little monsters with MASSIVE rewards (ala cactuar) like all those wondrous past-gen FF games. 13 screwed any kind of tradition, not just 'classic' FF's and it paid for it. It sold tonnes because hell it was the first next gen Final Fantasy, who wouldn't want that but then people realised it wasn't that great and low and behold XIII-2 suffered in sales and everyone gives the 13 franchise shifty looks for the next few years.

I've heard mixed things about VIII but not that it's especially bad. I know some real diehard fans of it and it's characters and know more folks who claim it's got the best soundtrack of any of the games. Sure it tried things a little different but enough of the systems were the same it worked fine.

VI and VII are also lauded as great games as well for varying reasons, and IX I think is becoming quite the dark horse in popularity with a growing fanbase claiming it's the best. Hell the most problems I ever heard about 9 were the amount of things you can miss and folks who just dislike the cartoony graphics or the fact it's not 'modern'. Basically the folks who wanted more of 7 or 8 at the time but as folks mature I find more people are really praising FF9.

So no...I don't see how past games had "just as much trouble" as FF13. They may have deviated from what you call "classic" FF formulas but they still retain enough gameplay similarity to be identifiable and enjoyable.

Bravely Default is more of a Final Fantasy game than 13 and it's offspring.
Made by Chesu+Zombee
Image

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Posts: 9855

Square has said itself that XIII was supposed to be the Final Fantasy game with the least amount of fantasy in it. And I don't see why people bitch about its linearity. Several of the FF games - or ANY game - are incredibly linear. X was the other most obvious with its linearity. VI was pretty linear, until you got to the World of Ruin. I mean, just because you have a world map to walk around on and all doesn't mean the game ISN'T linear.

XIII changed things a lot from previous ones. And to be honest: I love it!
I found the battle system to be incredibly fun. The characters, for the most part, are NOT cardboard cutouts from any RPG and you can just switch them around with no influence on the story. These characters are pretty realistic in terms of their actions or behavior. Sazh is just a father trying to protect his son and raise him without a mother. Hope... I could go on a tangent how realistically he is portrayed - and I have on the GameFAQs board, especially since I don't blame him for his behavior. Even if he annoys me a bit in Chapter 5 or 7, he's still understandable.

Yeah the story may not seem like much, but then... I can't say any of the other FFs really were. It's like complaining that a ZELDA game has no good story. Zelda games never had a good story behind them, so why bitch about it? And I think XIII did a nice change to the Defy Your Fate story, which I think - in regards to the ending - they didn't defy their fate. (And I am not referring to any Etro decrystalized them)

Going off-track to my Tales of Graces f........ I just got past the Childhood section and I feel like being a dick and saying "The battle system I don't get, it's basically pressing X and some directions and I get some skills" but I don't want to be the dick who talks about XIII's battle system like it's just Auto Battle.
I can see I now have actually Artes to use and not skills-attached-to-normal-attacks or whatever. I'll just have to focus on the battle system and figure it out. Then I'll probably see how it functions. Overall, it's pretty decently entertaining up to now.

C-A
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Close enough...

Gender: Male

Location: A land of ignorance and fear.

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:30 pm

Posts: 14126

CatMuto wrote:
Square has said itself that XIII was supposed to be the Final Fantasy game with the least amount of fantasy in it. And I don't see why people bitch about its linearity. Several of the FF games - or ANY game - are incredibly linear. X was the other most obvious with its linearity. VI was pretty linear, until you got to the World of Ruin. I mean, just because you have a world map to walk around on and all doesn't mean the game ISN'T linear.

Yeah the story may not seem like much, but then... I can't say any of the other FFs really were. It's like complaining that a ZELDA game has no good story. Zelda games never had a good story behind them, so why bitch about it? And I think XIII did a nice change to the Defy Your Fate story, which I think - in regards to the ending - they didn't defy their fate. (And I am not referring to any Etro decrystalized them)

Going off-track to my Tales of Graces f........ I just got past the Childhood section and I feel like being a dick and saying "The battle system I don't get, it's basically pressing X and some directions and I get some skills" but I don't want to be the dick who talks about XIII's battle system like it's just Auto Battle.
I can see I now have actually Artes to use and not skills-attached-to-normal-attacks or whatever. I'll just have to focus on the battle system and figure it out. Then I'll probably see how it functions. Overall, it's pretty decently entertaining up to now.

C-A


Linearity isn't the main issue. X was linear right up until the end at which point there was oodles of things to do. You could also do some of these things earlier. It still maintained a sense of a 'World' in that you can walk back and forth to go between places. With 13 you just swap to a party as plot dictates and you are in a dungeon, with no sense of where you came from or how you got there.

Quote:
XIII changed things a lot from previous ones. And to be honest: I love it!
I found the battle system to be incredibly fun. The characters, for the most part, are NOT cardboard cutouts from any RPG and you can just switch them around with no influence on the story. These characters are pretty realistic in terms of their actions or behavior. Sazh is just a father trying to protect his son and raise him without a mother. Hope... I could go on a tangent how realistically he is portrayed - and I have on the GameFAQs board, especially since I don't blame him for his behavior. Even if he annoys me a bit in Chapter 5 or 7, he's still understandable.


And so far as I've seen, you are either in the minority, or it's heavily contested (which is still bad since you want an overall good) whether it's good or not. The battle system was monotonous and dull. The characters they tried to push on you were unlikeable and dull. Sazh is always excellent and Fang and Snow are alright as well, but the others are awful. The villains and supporting cast even worse since they get nearly no mention in the regular story. I don't go to FF for realistic characters, I want flights of fancy, give me extreme individuals give me something interesting enough to keep playing your game.

Quote:
Yeah the story may not seem like much, but then... I can't say any of the other FFs really were. It's like complaining that a ZELDA game has no good story. Zelda games never had a good story behind them, so why bitch about it? And I think XIII did a nice change to the Defy Your Fate story, which I think - in regards to the ending - they didn't defy their fate. (And I am not referring to any Etro decrystalized them)


You're joking right? There's loads of people who talk about how ridiculously intricate the plots of VII and VIII are, IX as well is pretty praised. The only one I felt where the plot let them down a lot was XII because it just didn't seem grandiose enough to hold interest. FF13's defy your fate story was horrible, because while they didn't defy their fate (which would have been a good message) they act like they did...like they are utter idiots. "WE WON'T LISTEN TO FATE! WE'LL KILL YOU!" "I WANT YOU TO KILL ME! THAT IS YOUR MISSION! YOUR FATE!" then they kill him and are all like "Well we sure showed Fate didn't we?" while Barthandalus is laughing his head off in whatever afterlife Fal'Cie have.

A proper ending would be beating Barthandalus to an inch of his life, finding someway to imprison him (so Cocoon remains functioning) and then accepting their transformation into Cieth. Though the decrystallisation and de-ciething bit is also stupid. Introducing plot elements from the next game in a game without an obvious sequel in the works does not look good. It was implemented poorly and so comes across as "Why did we win?" "Dunno!" Which again is basically how their "Defying Fate" story goes.
Made by Chesu+Zombee
Image

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Posts: 9855

Quote:
And so far as I've seen, you are either in the minority, or it's heavily contested (which is still bad since you want an overall good) whether it's good or not.


Go to the GameFAQs board and, while you may see people bitching about the battle system, you'll find a good dozen people who have figured out the battle system and enjoy it a ton. LewdDolphin, tiornys and destrian have made some great videos utilizing the battle system - LewdDolphin, I think, has a Stage 8 video series of fighting various things with only up to Stage 8 of the Crystarium unlocked.
And they're pretty entertaining to watch.

Quote:
I don't go to FF for realistic characters, I want flights of fancy, give me extreme individuals give me something interesting enough to keep playing your game.


I don't know, don't you easily get bored with the same extreme individual character types after a while? I mean, I know Auron is awesome and all, but it is a bit boring to see the same "quiet, knows more than he lets on, super cool badass mentor" in various games. Or the generic upbeat, hyperactive and dumb hero. Or - in Hope's case - that little brat in the team that at the tender age of 6 was already capable of fighting monsters without pissing his pants and has a rational head during ANY situation.
That just bores me. I don't want extremes that seem unrealistic, I want to think "Hey, I can understand what this guy is going through" and not the extreme that falls for the same thing over and over. (This is a reason why I dislike Snow so much)

Quote:
FF13's defy your fate story was horrible, because while they didn't defy their fate (which would have been a good message) they act like they did...like they are utter idiots.


Just because they BELIEVE they defied their fate doesn't mean they DID. That's where the player has to pay attention what is going on in the ending and what went on in the beginning. Lookig at the ending and the shot of vision of their focus, you can tell that the images are identical.
I say they didn't defy their fate, I think their focus WAS to turn into Ragnarok AND create that Crystal Pillar. Which I like, I like that the game actually spit into the Defy Your Fate story and made it so that, if you actually think about it, they didn't make it.

Plus, what's the point of imprionsing a Fal'Cie, they'd be bound to be able to escape eventually. Plus, just because Barthy would be imprisoned doesn't mean he couldn't do what his Fal'Cie purpose was.

C-A
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Posts: 9855

Hey, sena is doing a commentated Let's Play of Triforce of the Gods 2/Link Between Worlds.
Great, I think I'll watch it and see if the game is worth getting.
I find it in stores for 40€ but I don't think I wanna pay that.
If I get the game.

C-A
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Rebel Scum

Gender: Male

Rank: Moderators

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:06 pm

Posts: 6928

So Nintendo's Current eShop Status page is down.

I can only assume it's from too many people trying to use it.

Amazing.
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Apollon Flame

Gender: Male

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:14 pm

Posts: 1638

Bad Player wrote:
So Nintendo's Current eShop Status page is down.

I can only assume it's from too many people trying to use it.

Amazing.

Sarcasm
Wow, nice deductive skills, very inspiring.
:yogi:
A King

in name


alone...
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Posts: 9855

In Graces, I am currently at a 24 1/2 Hour mark of the game. And now they are finally starting to get an idea that Richard may possibly in some way, MAYBE possessed. So I guess my estimation of it taking a good 20 hours for them to get that idea was correct.
This game is not two things: It's not unpredictable and it's not very clever with its characters.

C-A

PS: I'm heading to a place called Fodra, for a good hour or two, it was called Fodra. Come the FMV where I get to Fodra and Asbel suddenly calles it Foselos. What? Did the translation team fuck up again? Or the proofreader?
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Close enough...

Gender: Male

Location: A land of ignorance and fear.

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:30 pm

Posts: 14126

CatMuto wrote:
In Graces, I am currently at a 24 1/2 Hour mark of the game. And now they are finally starting to get an idea that Richard may possibly in some way, MAYBE possessed. So I guess my estimation of it taking a good 20 hours for them to get that idea was correct.
This game is not two things: It's not unpredictable and it's not very clever with its characters.

C-A

PS: I'm heading to a place called Fodra, for a good hour or two, it was called Fodra. Come the FMV where I get to Fodra and Asbel suddenly calles it Foselos. What? Did the translation team fuck up again? Or the proofreader?


XD You've got your own thread for this stuff I thought.

Though yeah I'm hoping the E-shop is up and running now I'm back home, I WANT to spend a tonne of money on you nintendo, just gotta let me.
Made by Chesu+Zombee
Image

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Apollon Flame

Gender: Male

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:14 pm

Posts: 1638

So Final Fantasy X-3 might happen...
A King

in name


alone...
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Posts: 9855

Scent wrote:
So Final Fantasy X-3 might happen...


Oh God, I do not think I could stand another game where Tidus is present, whether it's as an "important" character, a plot device or just a random NPC, now aged and married to Yuna, with his sperm-results running around as the new heroes with the Wakka Baby grown up.

C-A
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title

The dwarf geeky panda!

Gender: Female

Location: Where am I?

Rank: Medium-in-training

Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:10 am

Posts: 385

CatMuto wrote:
PS: I'm heading to a place called Fodra, for a good hour or two, it was called Fodra. Come the FMV where I get to Fodra and Asbel suddenly calles it Foselos. What? Did the translation team fuck up again? Or the proofreader?


Nah, the name the inhabitant call the planet Fosellos, but it is revealed that the real name is Fodra for those who lived there. Just to mess up with us.


I wanted to buy some games and I want your opinion on it.

Dragon's Crown: I played Muramasa the demon blade and liked it, especially the art. When I saw it I thought it looked like that game, but in much much better.

Shin Megami Tensei IV: I was hesitating between this one and Soul Hacker. I know they both have the same demons and system, but I really want to know wich one is better.

Tales of the Abyss 3D: Just an opinion on the 3DS version. The graphics looks terrible :grey:

Any other game of interest I should look into?
Please don't hit me...
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Rebel Scum

Gender: Male

Rank: Moderators

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:06 pm

Posts: 6928

Shao-Mae wrote:
Tales of the Abyss 3D: Just an opinion on the 3DS version. The graphics looks terrible :grey:

Eh, it isn't bad, but I don't think it's that great. The graphics are fine, imo. Neither the story nor gameplay is that interesting to me.

(For reference, I never played the original PS2 version, and the only other Tales game I've played is Symphonia.)
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Posts: 9855

Quote:
Nah, the name the inhabitant call the planet Fosellos, but it is revealed that the real name is Fodra for those who lived there.


But if it's known to everyone on the world we first are on, Ephinea, that it is Fosellos why was it constantly referred to as Fodra beforehand? It just makes the fact that Asbel, practically out of the blue, calls it Fosellos in one cutscene stand out even more than a sore thumb.

Quote:
Tales of the Abyss 3D: Just an opinion on the 3DS version. The graphics looks terrible


I've played the PS2 version in the localized version, the original Japanese version - and there were differences larger than just the language, and the 3DS version. Also, I will play the Undubbed PS2 version for a Let's Play later on.
But anyway, I can say... I prefer the PS2 version much more.

The graphics don't look so bad to me, they are pretty much what I saw on the PS2 and it was fine there. The story is confusing at first and some of the characters take some time to become tolerable, but overall it's good. The battle system is somewhat a little dated, but only if you played Tales Of games from Vesperia onwards and never any Tales Of before those.

Compared to the PS2 version, there is no multiplayer, but unless you like to play Tales Of games with your friends it's not a big deal. There's also no chance for the World Map Glitch, which allowed you to go to late-game places earlier and get giant superpowered equipment before you should. And the loading times are SUPPOSEDLY better than on the PS2 version.... but I didn't notice much of a difference.

Here are my personal problems I noticed with the 3DS version...

1. Holding the 3DS for a prolonged time gets uncomfortable, so this can cut down in your playing time.

2. The Touchscreen is now used for the Shortcuts, which really seems clunky to me. You have to either have the stylus between your lips and pluck it onto the touchscreen when you want to use a shortcut... or take a hand off of the 3DS, potentially stopping any combo you had during the battle and tap the shortcut for it to be used.

2.1. And even that can result in having to tap it twice for it to register in the damn game.

3. The battle gameplay slows down when something big happens, a character or enemy goes into Overlimit. Two or more spells are on the battle screen at the same time. A Hi Ougi is activated.

3.1. Maybe it's me, but the Sliding Pad seems less... precise than the PS2 controller's pad was.

What I liked about the 3DS versions...

1. Touchscreen now displays the Worldmap when it's obtained. Better than the Minimap in the PS2 version, much less likely to get lost. At least, that's what I thought.

2. Well it IS portable...

Otherwise, well the 3DS version - while it is basically the localized PS2 version and hence has nothing really new for western players who have played the PS2 version beforehand, it does take over the sidequest timeframes from the original Japanese PS2 version.
This means that a certain title can be gotten much easier and earlier, simply by fighting the Bonus Boss on any difficulty, rather than Very Hard or Unknown. And a certain weapon can be used a bit earlier in the game, rather than JUST for the Final Dungeon.

So I have to say...... if you never played Abyss beforehand and don't have a PS2 or any other means of playing the game, get the 3DS version. Otherwise, I'd say grab the PS2 version... I barely noticed a difference in loading times.

C-A
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Apollon Flame

Gender: Male

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:14 pm

Posts: 1638

CatMuto wrote:
Scent wrote:
So Final Fantasy X-3 might happen...


Oh God, I do not think I could stand another game where Tidus is present, whether it's as an "important" character, a plot device or just a random NPC, now aged and married to Yuna, with his sperm-results running around as the new heroes with the Wakka Baby grown up.

C-A

Actually, there's apparently a secret ending audio in FFX/2 HD that states...
Spoiler: X-3 spoilers
Yuna is in-love with another guy, as in, they and Tidus aren't an item, Sin is back and Auron has a daughter (a 20 year old daughter).

A King

in name


alone...
Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Posts: 9855

Scent wrote:
Actually, there's apparently a secret ending audio in FFX/2 HD that states...
Spoiler: X-3 spoilers
Yuna is in-love with another guy, as in, they and Tidus aren't an item, Sin is back and Auron has a daughter (a 20 year old daughter).


That last bit sounds like somebody doesn't realize that Jecht, Braska and Auron were totally gay for each other forced and incredibly bad OC/Self-Insert fanfiction. Also, how the hell would Sin come back?
If that is true, there had better be some fucking good reason for all that. :kristoph:

C-A
Page 4 of 100 [ 3988 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 100  Next
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

 Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum
Jump to:  
News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list
Powered by phpBB

phpBB SEO