Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station

Page 1 of 48[ 1897 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 48  Next

Dangan-RonpaTopic%20Title

Mostly human

Dangan-Ronpa is a 2010 quirky murder mystery title available on PSP and IOS, with the mix of visual novel and adventure game that fans of ace attorney and 999 should be used to by now. Trailer

The game revolves around Hope's Peak Academy, a school that works on an invite-only basis, taking in students who are the best in their field, extending from typical school activities such as swimming to more atypical specializations such as fortune telling and Doujin writing. The 15 students are a very diverse bunch and the game keeps you on your toes in terms of who you can trust by playing with the expectations of the player in terms of tropes and character design.

The character artist obviously had a lot of fun.

This year's group arrive at the school but are swiftly kidnapped and placed inside the school, there they are told by a bizzare two-tone bear called "Monobear" that escape is impossible, unless they play to his rules. They're told they can live in the school for as long as they want, completely isolated from the outside world, but that if they want to get out they must murder another student and get away with it.
After the inevitable murders the game moves into both investigations and court scenes much like the Ace Attorney series; collect evidence, have arguments, point out the contradictions and find the killer!

The game is stylistically interesting, has fantastic music by Masafumi Takada, who has produced music and arrangements for No More Heroes, Super Smash Bros Brawl, Killer7 and Godhand, memorable characters and an intriguing storyline... but there's a catch; Dangan Ronpa has not been localized and is only available in Japanese.

The good news is that a translated playthrough is going on in the somethingawful forums- check it out!
Re: Dangan-RonpaTopic%20Title

迷探偵

I finished the first game quite recently actually (most of my thoughts on it can be found here), and it was really awesome! Seeing the position of the PSP outside Japan, I don't see neither of the two games being released in the West, which is really a shame 'cause it is a really stylish mystery adventure with just enough of timing-based gameplay and collectible things and stuff to disguise the slow pace in storytelling a lot of mystery games. It mimicks a lot of Ace Attorney, but in a good way.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

This game is getting an unofficial (but nearly complete) translation here, as well as an anime.

I'm sad that this topic didn't get much attention, this game is a very good change of pace when compared to 999 or the Phoenix Wright series. It sold like hotcakes in Japan, after all. :grey:

I've heard of this game. I'd really love to play it as I love both mystery and Japanese games. Such a shame it won't come here though, but I don't have a PSP anyway. :larry:

I recommend reading the LP on Something Awful. The same guy also began with his LP to Dangan Ronpa 2.

It's a great way to experience the story, if you don't own a PSP.

Lusankya wrote:
I recommend reading the LP on Something Awful. The same guy also began with his LP to Dangan Ronpa 2.

It's a great way to experience the story, if you don't own a PSP.

Thanks! I'll check that out! :maya:

元・超会社員級の管理人

I heard about this recently, it looks really cool. A shame I haven't got a PSP, I'd love to try the fan translation when that's done (and maybe the originals in another year of Japanese study or so.)
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.

The Midnight Lurker

I finished reading the LP of this game recently, and my god, it's brilliant. Hilarious, and even tear jerking at times. Sakura and Fukawa are forever the best characters in the history of ever.

Read through the entire LP a little while back and there are no words to describe my disappointment at how this game never got localized. The plot is full of twists and turns at every way and doesn't really stay in the same place for long until there's some new, startling development to keep one at their toes. Almost all of the characters are memorable in their own way and to put any one over another would be a crime in some cases.

Really, I can just gush for days on end for how great this game, its plot, and its characters are despite not having played it. But now I can only just direct anyone towards the LP of this game and advise them to NOT go reading about this game in any other place with spoilers; the game is meant to be enjoyed as it unfolds, you can't really get the same enjoyment of the plot by reading of summary of any kind.

With that out of the way, I really wish I waited later to read the DR1 LP so I could've had more of the DR2 LP to read. The wait for updates is going to be painful but worth it.
Inspector Grosky is prepared to arrest you in style with finesse with his chesthair sheltering innocent kittens.

元・超会社員級の管理人

Wound up reading the LP last week. What an awesome little game. In some ways it gives me Ghost Trick vibes with the stylization, just with a much darker atmosphere.

I'll start following the second game's LP, but frankly, now I'm wondering if I can track down a cheap used PSP somewhere.
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.

1000% Knight

I remember searching a few weeks ago, and I thought I had been able to find some reasonably-priced copies of it somewhere (for the first game, at least) but can't anymore. Hm.

Lemme know if you find anything, Bolt.
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

迷探偵

I started in Danganronpa 2 recently, though I haven't gotten into a rhythm (or even to the first murder) yet. The cases are supposedly better though (which wasn't that hard: I loved DR, but it gets a bit boring if every case becomes clear in the investigation part already...) and I love Takayama Minami (=Edogawa Conan) as the voice actor for the protagonist, so I really should get just try to complete the game this week...
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

迷探偵

Sorry for the double post, but interesting for those who want to play the game: the iOS/Android versions of the game are on sale from today until the end of the month (you can get the whole game for 1000Y).

https://twitter.com/spikechunsoft/statu ... 1145074688

Fate Testarossa

YES DANGANRONPA IS AMAZING <3

Also, the LP for Danganronpa 2 is starting up for all of us non-Japanese readers/speakers. He's at part 31 right now.

Fate is made by クロス

迷探偵

I am about halfway through 2 now, I think. Overall a great improvement on the first game in terms of mystery (you can't actually solve the complete mystery in the investigation part already) and argument mechanics. Well, partially. There are new argument mechanics that involve more of the students, which is fun, but the action sequences themselves are once again hit-or-miss (mostly miss). I especially hate the counter-cutting argument segments.

The characters are... not as memorable as in the first game, mostly. Except for a certain character who is definitely somehow related to the first game (no, not the obvious one, the anagram one). In fact, a lot of 2 plays as a parody of sorts of 1, in terms of character types.

Fate Testarossa

Realllllllllly? From what I've read of the LP so far, I've actually remembered more characters in DR2 than I have in DR1... >_>

Fate is made by クロス

迷探偵

I don't how far the LP is in terms of story, but like I said, a lot of the characters of 2 are like variations / parodies / subversions of character types found in 1: so it isn't strange that characters seem more memorable, but that's at least partly also because they share traits with the cast you already know from the first game; this extends well beyond just the characters with familiar names from the first game.

Though Nanami is definitely awesome <3

迷探偵

Double post, but I recently finished Danganronpa 2, so my thoughts on it (The long version is here): overall a great improvement on the original, the murders are better plotted, the main story ties in very nicely with the original game, game mechanics have been smoothed out a bit (instant teleportation!) and the possibility to agree with your fellow students is a really welcome addition to the debate mechanics. But you really need to have played the first game to appreciate the sequel completely, because of the story ties, but also because how much of SDR2 works as subversion of the original game.

And what are people's thoughts about the upcoming anime of the first game?

Blah!

I was going to wait for the Danganronpa LP to hit the archive (especially since the SA paywall was up last month), but now that the game translation is out, I went ahead and got a PSP. Going off to play it now...

I already played a bit of the demo in an emulator, but since I have an ATI graphics card, I knew things wouldn't work properly. It definitely looks fun to play, hence why I got the actual hardware.

If someone else is looking for a PSP, there are some pretty good deals on eBay. The one I got came with several accessories and games, and it was around $50.

I'll be watching the anime after playing a bit of the game. I don't have any opinion of it now, although it is made by the same studio that made the Persona 4 anime. Look forward to derp faces!

Fate Testarossa

Well... The paywall is down right now...

Also, reading the tumblrs for updates now. Because they update a LOT more frequently.

Fate is made by クロス

Blah!

I know the paywall is down now, but I feel like I'd enjoy the game better by playing it. Also, I'm in the middle of another long screenshot LP...

So, completed the demo and prologue. So far, it feels like a mash-up between 999/VLR (the trapped concept), Ace Attorney (trials, but very mob-based and actiony. Probably a bit closer to PL vs. AA in that aspect, but still a bit away), Hotel Dusk/Last Window (the way you move around in free time), and Persona 3/4 (heavy suggestions about spending time with and giving presents to people. No idea how that'll turn out, or if it'll be anything like those games really). And I like all of those games.

So yeah, liking it so far. Not sure if I'll put thoughts down as I go through it like I did for VLR, since nobody else has. But I may if nobody minds (behind spoilers when appropriate, of course).

1000% Knight

I finished DR a few weeks ago. It has some pretty serious flaws... I didn't appreciate it as much as other people seemed to. I mean, it had some interesting ideas, but... those flaws *shudder*

I got DR2 but only got 15 minutes in before I got distracted by other games.

Also, Ishimaru <3

Blah!

Chapter 1 completed. Don't really have much to say though... it was wrapped up pretty nicely. Unlike, say, VLR where you keep on having questions all the way. I mean, there are some, but not necessarily the most important.

Spoiler: Chapter 1
Like, who's behind Monobear? Something tells me we won't find out or, if we do, it won't be anybody significant. If the things on the DVDs were true, then it's probably that random serial killer. Although, it's hard to say why people would think the killings were random if they were friends or related to those who died... doubt they could simply get rid of everyone who might know about the students or the fact that they were accepted to a school without the police making a connection. I wouldn't be surprised if the DVD stuff was all faked.

I do hope that the reason nobody suspects something is wrong with the school gets explained at some point though... Not explaining that would be unacceptable to me.

Kyouko is leading the Chapter 1 class trial too much, imo, at least for the other characters' sakes. She is definitely mysterious too. I expect that she'll be fleshed out more later, but so far I haven't noticed any foreshadowing other than being mysterious.

I wonder if any of the characters that didn't speak up much in the class trials will get any character development. Junko was kinda obliterated pointlessly... And it doesn't seem the free time stuff reveals much about a character, unless it would if you focused on them. Not sure how far that would go though... maybe I'll do some trial and error later. But for sure, the only interesting person who is still alive is Kyouko. I hope they change this soon.

I noticed the tutorial said that if you were on Malicious, the evidence chamber (or whatever) would be loaded with more bullets. Then the rest of the trial only had one because I chose the middle difficulty. I really hope the middle difficulty isn't so easy moving forward, especially considering I can't seem to change it while playing. I do like how they introduced new elements in this over the demo though, the demo kinda threw things at you without a ton of explanation (for example, I thought you had to shoot the person talking, not the words, at first. Oops).

Not really a fan of the machine gun round... it feels really out of place. I can tell the game is supposed to have silly parts taken seriously, but a rhythm game is too much. The way it was used in this chapter seemed pointless too, because you were convincing everyone else afterwards, not Leon. And he was still "baka"-ing during that, so it wasn't like you had to get him to shut up...

Oh, and after the end of the chapter "HURRAY, YOU GOTS A BAT ITEM" and jingle REALLY broke the heavy mood. THANKS!

I wonder if the blood is pink for stylistic reasons or for rating reasons. I'm guessing style. Kinda weird, but not a big deal.

Heh, ok, maybe I did have a lot to say. But not much about what's next. I'm still generally liking it so far for many other reasons, so I'll continue it soon. I think I'll go ahead and watch the first episode of the anime, but it sounded like it was mostly set up, so I probably won't have anything to say about that for now.

BP: I'm guessing I might be starting to notice a few of those flaws.

EDIT:
Spoiler: Anime Episode 1
Definitely condensed down the prologue/chapter 1 act 1 nicely. Felt really fast though, but not sure if that's just because I played the game. They're leaving out some important details though... they may introduce them in episode 2 though. They did address some things the game failed to explain too, like showing that they did try to figure out where Monobear was coming from. So the characters in the anime might end up seeming smarter because of that.

1000% Knight

According to a random Japanese site I found before, the blood is pink for the rating; apparently, they also made the content a bit more milder than they had intended, too.

Blah!

Bad Player wrote:
According to a random Japanese site I found before, the blood is pink for the rating; apparently, they also made the content a bit more milder than they had intended, too.

Ah, ok. Based on what they've done so far, I can definitely see them taking what's in the game a step further.

Spoiler: Chapter 1
Just seeing the execution at the end of Chapter 1 in more detail would have been really gruesome.

Fate Testarossa

The pink blood is for the rating. The mysteries in DR1 are.... most definitely a bit lacking. (Which is rectified a LOT BETTER in SDR2.)

Also, there's a Vita (lol) port of the first and second games. Basically, upping the graphics, adding a "School Mode" (IE: Dating Sim mode) for DR1, and putting both games on one disc, so to say.

Fate is made by クロス

Blah!

kwando wrote:
The pink blood is for the rating. The mysteries in DR1 are.... most definitely a bit lacking. (Which is rectified a LOT BETTER in SDR2.)

Also, there's a Vita (lol) port of the first and second games. Basically, upping the graphics, adding a "School Mode" (IE: Dating Sim mode) for DR1, and putting both games on one disc, so to say.

Hmm, makes sense that they'd add a dating sim mode to DR1. They sorta have that already, but I can't really see any advantages to it right now other than a tad bit of backstory and new SP stuff. Of course, I haven't really explored it enough yet.

Aww man, I hope the other mysteries aren't as obvious as chapter 1. They kinda told you straight out.

Out of curiosity, what is the difference between the original and The Best versions of DR1?

Fate Testarossa

I think they fixed up a few bugs/glitches in the "Best" version. Not too sure though.

Fate is made by クロス

迷探偵

The best version has some minor fixes IIRC. The most prominent change however, is the change in walking speed (it is a skill in the original release).

And I tell you, you want to be able to run. It takes ages to go from one place to another near the end of the game, and you'll be going back and forth a lot...

1000% Knight

...Unless you spam the map function :P

Blah!

Couldn't help myself.

Up front: Gentle is still way too easy, at least on the logic difficulty. Go with malicious if you play this game, as it seems like it would be an actual challenge (at least for this chapter, dunno if it actually gets malicious in the later chapters). As for action, I'm not entirely sure what malicious adds yet, though I have a hunch. Only merciful has had some things stated up front as being removed.

Spoiler: Chapter 2
ANIKIIIIIII! (TL note: BROOOOOOOO!)

Man, the sauna thing between Ishimaru and Oowada was awesome. I guess I should have seen that being a set up for tragedy later, but oh well.

Spinning around in a motorcycle cage super fast until you turn into butter? Now that's just silly.

I underestimated the second case, thinking that Togami was the murderer along the way. Because clearly it wouldn't have been Fukawa, because if you fail and people vote her as the murderer, you would have technically won anyway. Even after she transformed into the serial killer, I didn't suspect her. I didn't start thinking it was someone else until Makoto had doubts because of how confident Togami was.

Oowada being the actual murderer kind of came out of nowhere for me, because I didn't notice any foreshadowing of it. The explanation in the end made sense, but I don't really like how they handled the turnabout by withholding evidence.

Chihiro being male also wasn't something I saw coming, but I actually found that to be an interesting twist. That gave him some actual backstory, unlike Sayaka who was just an idol who reacted strongly to seeing her dream shattered. Nothing about why she reacted that way other than working so hard to get to that point. Which I guess may be a good enough motive, but not as complex.

Oh, and that throws my serial killer being the puppetmaster theory out the window. I didn't expect it to play out that way anyway. I wouldn't have thought it was Fukawa either until she started acting strange.

Back to Togami... he's kind of an idiot for thinking that he could have stepped in if Makoto failed to realize it wasn't Togami, especially when Togami was saying "yeah, it was me." I didn't get a failure this time around, but I suspect if Togami tried to intervene, Monobear would have said "NOPE, vote now!." Also, I don't know how he thinks he can win if he's clearly conniving and will be under scrutiny from now on. Maybe he's trying to be the last person left or something... ugh.

Hard to say who will be the victim next... but Fukawa and Togami seem like high possibilities. Then again, there are several characters left without much development up for picking.

Oh yeah, Kirigiri is still saving us too much, although she isn't the person who talks the most this time around (that would be Togami). I'm getting annoyed with that... but maybe that'll change later because there were still a few extra gameplay things added in this chapter.

I suspect Kirigiri is the one that Monobear is talking to at the end. At least, that's the only suspicion I have because nobody else still alive is suspicious enough to fit.

In the end I feel a bit better about the game, but I'm still upset that Gentle is too easy and I can't change it. The crowd debate model is also causing long times of just talking between people (and often times mainly between just a few characters), which will probably improve as the numbers dwindle.

元・超会社員級の管理人

So the first game is getting an official English release under the title Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc next year! It's worth noting this is the Vita version of the game, not the PSP one, and that right now the second game has not been announced for an English release.

Wooster wrote:

Blah!

Bolt Storm wrote:
So the first game is getting an official English release under the title Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc next year! It's worth noting this is the Vita version of the game, not the PSP one, and that right now the second game has not been announced for an English release.

Cool! I guess the fandom spoke loudly enough. Too bad it's the Vita version though... I probably won't ever get one of those, or at least not for several years.

Interesting choice for the subtitle though... the gun thing only exists as a gameplay mechanic, beyond the fourth wall. Unless something happens later in the game that I'm not aware of, but that doesn't seem to fit with the spirit of the game. The original subtitle was just fine.

Unless the Vita version of the game had a similar subtitle.

Fate Testarossa

Vita? Laaaaaaaaaaame. I would've bought it if not for Vita.

Fate is made by クロス

Now to keep a veeeeery close eye on a Vita price drop...

I'm seriously excited by this announcement. Now for the painful choice of having to either wait for the localization of 2 or to continue reading the LP...
Inspector Grosky is prepared to arrest you in style with finesse with his chesthair sheltering innocent kittens.

迷探偵

blahmoomoo wrote:
Cool! I guess the fandom spoke loudly enough. Too bad it's the Vita version though... I probably won't ever get one of those, or at least not for several years.

Interesting choice for the subtitle though... the gun thing only exists as a gameplay mechanic, beyond the fourth wall. Unless something happens later in the game that I'm not aware of, but that doesn't seem to fit with the spirit of the game. The original subtitle was just fine.

The subtitle is more a reference to the actual title of the game, as a dangan is a bullet.

blahmoomoo wrote:
Bolt Storm wrote:

Well, PSP has been pretty much dead on the retail front in the US, for quite a while... Besides, there's a superior version on Vita, it wouldn't really make sense to release the PSP one instead.

What really surprised me though was the Spike-Chunsoft actually went and make the Zero Escape series, which was a Nintendo handheld exclusive, a multiplatform series with the 3DS-Vita release of VLR.... but on the other hand, keeping Dangaronpa on Sony handhelds.

Not that I'm complaining or anything for ZE, since more people getting to play VLR > more chance to get the 3rd game.

Which is a real shame for Denganronpa, really. Guess I'll just have to stick with the anime adaptation :pearl:
ImageImageImage

1000% Knight

I thought the Vita version was both games in one?

And if they're keeping "Danganronpa" they need some sort of subtitle to convey what it is xD

Blah!

Bad Player wrote:
I thought the Vita version was both games in one?

And if they're keeping "Danganronpa" they need some sort of subtitle to convey what it is xD

Ah... that's the source of my confusion, not knowing what the title roughly translated to.

Should have guessed that it did mean something.

1000% Knight

"ronpa" means "beating someone in an argument"... it doesn't have a very nice english translation ^^"
Page 1 of 48 [ 1897 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 48  Next

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station