Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station

Page 1 of 1[ 35 posts ]

Xenoblade Chronicles/Xenoblade Chronicles XTopic%20Title

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

I just realized we don't have a thread in the Police Station for these two amazing masterpieces. So I decided to make one right now. Feel free to discuss anything related to Xenoblade Chronicles and Xenoblade Chronicles X.

WARNING: I have finished XC, but not XCX. And if there are others who don't have/aren't that far in either of the games, ALWAYS TAG YOUR SPOILERS, PLEASE!
POHLKUNKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!
Re: Xenoblade Chronicles/Xenoblade Chronicles XTopic%20Title

Do you see the black one...or the white?

Well, guess I can come in here now to talk about XCX since I've been playing it often enough.

I'm currently in between Chapter 6 and 7 of the game right now just tackling sidequests. Really enjoying this game so far. While I feel there are some things that Xenoblade did better than X, holy cow does this game nail down the exploration aspect so well. Making the world feel natural while giving me a sense of curiosity and alertness at the same time, it just all feels so great. =)
On April 3, 2016, Court Records Forums experienced a miracle upon that day.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Man...that looks dull...this actually makes me worried for KH3 (since that team worked on the battle system)

I feel the same

In Justice We Trust

So which BLADE division did everyone go with? I chose to be a Prospector. Now if only I had more Storage Probes for all the Miranium my Mining Probes are digging up... I could also go for more Research Probes. Keeping everyone well-equipped (especially if I want to use Fashion Slots) is expensive--to say nothing of how expensive a well-equipped Skell is.
I'll always love you, Max.

1000% Knight

Prospector, but only because it's the top division, in order to get the best division rewards. The division system is pretty badly designed. People move into the top division because it's the top division, and then it gets even farther ahead because it has more people, which makes even more people move in, etc. And since divisions are kind of completely pointless except for the division rewards...

I'm not really enjoying XCX as much as I expected to, to be honest. I think it's because I went into it expecting it to be another XC, and it just isn't. It's mostly in the plot and characters, which were great in XC, and just aren't there in XCX. I believe the phrase I used before was that your party feels like a bunch of interchangeable fleshbags. Maybe I'm missing something, but even in battle it feels like your party doesn't matter. I mean, you need them to be there, but they don't matter in the sense that you just need 3 NPCs standing there dealing damage for you--but it doesn't matter what party members you have, your build and what you do is going to be the same. In XC, your party composition mattered a lot, depending on who you controlled and what your party was, and also had very different feels/strategies. If you controlled Shulk and your party members were Sharla and Melia you needed to tank, but if they were Reyn and Dunban you were doing to glass cannon dps. Melia-Sharla-Riki would be a very defensive, DoT-based team, whereas Dunban-Reyn-Seven would topple lock. Whereas if you're going for an ether Blossom Dance build in XCX, it really doesn't matter which NPCs you bring along.

Right now I'm between Chapter 6 and 7 too. I got my first Skell a couple of days ago, and... haven't touched the game since.
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

I always prioritize Dunban for agility, so I equip him with Agility Up gems, light armor, and I always have Serene Heart in my Arts Palette.

In XCX, my division is Reclaimers. I still need to survey at least 15% of Primordia to get to the next story mission.
POHLKUNKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

1000% Knight

RayquazaSenpai wrote:
I always prioritize Dunban for agility, so I equip

Equipping Dunban? You're playing the game wrong.

I was Pathfinders, but now I'm Interceptors. I really had no idea about top divisions or anything as I haven't touched online yet and I've been staying as spoiler free as possible.

And yeah Bad, it's not Xenoblade Chronicles. I went in not expecting that anyways. I think that helped me to like the game more as I hear that it's a worse experience if people come in expecting a Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Whereas the first game emphasized character and plot, this game emphasizes a whole lot more on exploration. I do enjoy the very few characters I get to learn about somewhat, but I do agree that the previous game had better characters. The reason I keep playing is because I really enjoy discovering the new environments and I do enjoy the battle system. Granted, I can't change who I control, but getting to change my classes and abilities makes up for that for me.

But yeah, I do think it helps if you know what you're getting into before you actually play it. It's definitely not for everyone, but I personally think overall, it's a really great game.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Man...that looks dull...this actually makes me worried for KH3 (since that team worked on the battle system)

I feel the same

The Real Human Being

I'm not having fun at all but I can't stop playing until I get a mech.

If the game isn't fun after that then it's shit.

In Justice We Trust

dullahan1 wrote:
Whereas the first game emphasized character and plot, this game emphasizes a whole lot more on exploration.

That's a big one, but there's also the matter of tone and setting differing between the two. I feel as though Xenoblade Chronicles has a lighter tone (though that's not to say the game couldn't be serious) and a high fantasy setting. By contrast, Xenoblade Chronicles X strikes me as more subdued when it comes to fantasy elements--not to mention its tone strikes me as darker.

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

Bad Player wrote:
RayquazaSenpai wrote:

That's not what chuggaconroy said!

Gettin' Old!

Bad Player wrote:
RayquazaSenpai wrote:

All Dunban needs is his sword, not even gems.

In XCX I joined the Curators! First on the scene, gathering everything we can find! I liked how they were the actual pioneering group for it. Then again so are the Pathfinders...but the lines are blurry.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

1000% Knight

RayquazaSenpai wrote:
Bad Player wrote:
RayquazaSenpai wrote:

That's not what chuggaconroy said!

Well he was wrong.

In Justice We Trust

There is no "wrong" way to equip Dunban (or any character for that matter). I've never cared for the "naked Dunban" build, either, though that's probably more a matter of me not liking the idea of people fighting with so much skin exposed.

1000% Knight

General Luigi wrote:
There is no "wrong" way to equip Dunban (or any character for that matter).

Tell that to my friend who thought Sharla was a DPS unit.

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

Bad Player wrote:
Well he was wrong.

THAT'S ENOUGH! (Uses Monado Purge)

If you get the reference, you get one level worth of affinity.

In Justice We Trust

Bad Player wrote:

Well, that's Sharla, not Dunban. More to the point, I will concede that some builds are more effective for particular tasks than others. That doesn't make less effective builds "wrong," though.

Gettin' Old!

General Luigi wrote:
Bad Player wrote:

Well, that's Sharla, not Dunban. More to the point, I will concede that some builds are more effective for particular tasks than others. That doesn't make less effective builds "wrong," though.

Eh he's entitled to his opinion General. From what I can decipher, naked Dunban is a (depending on your perspective) funny little thing that works surprisingly well but can really drop off for late/postgame difficulty when the use of rank V gems means you get diminishing returns.

I use him as a more DPS-y tank compared to Reyn who is a surefire defence. Though recently I started figuring out how to use the last party member in a way I find exhilarating now that their Skill tree has grown a bit.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

1000% Knight

I liked Dunban way more as a tank than Reyn, since I felt the evasion gave him more effective health, and the evasion also effectively multiplies the power of your heals. (Ex. If the enemies does a 1000 damage attack three times on Reyn, he takes 3000 damage, so you need 3000 worth of healing to counter that. But if the enemies do three 1000 damage attacks against Dunban, but only one attack lands, you only need 1000 worth of healing for undo it.)

Gettin' Old!

But the counter is Dunban takes more damage than Reyn and has less health. That 3000 will come a lot easier and might kill Dunban. Especially on undodgeable attacks.

Then you have to dig into the party gauge resource which is a greater cost than healing a bit more.

Edit: Additionally I feel Reyn has more Aggro-drawing moves and mechanics than Dunban and so will take those 3000 hits more often than the DPS
Made by Chesu+Zombee

1000% Knight

Dunban takes less damage than Reyn--because he dodges it :P I never had any problems with Dunban holding aggro, or taking too much damage and fainting. I also needed the effective healing multiplier from dodgetanking later in the game. Reyn and Dunban might have had roughly the same effective health when factoring in Dunban's dodging, but the party lasted a lot longer with Dunban at the helm because my healing effects were so much stronger. (I actually did try using Reyn once, but I couldn't beat the the tougher enemies because Reyn only had so much health, and my healers couldn't keep up with the enemies' damage.)

Gettin' Old!

Hope is just such a lovely person :kristoph:

I hope I can find a way to fit her into my regular team. Seems like she calls for a lot of buffs. I can do that sure, working my way down the buff/debuff classes to get more of them.

Also DoMaya, was looking to hire you yesterday but saw you had no skills set. Should check those out because they can really amp your gameplay.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Saying this because I'm dumb and didn't find this out until chapter 6, but you can level up your skills as well, just like you do your arts. I don't feel so bad because someone I was talking to told me they didn't find out until after they beat the game. XD
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:

I feel the same

In Justice We Trust

Pierre wrote:
Hope is just such a lovely person :kristoph:

I hope I can find a way to fit her into my regular team.

She's easily one of my favorite characters in the game. I'm still trying to figure out how each of the classes work and what the ideal team composition is, but I'd love to make her a regular on my team. I expect to be railroaded into having Elma and Lin on my team for story missions and most affinity missions, so I arguably only have one spot available for the character of my choice. Admittedly, I like Lin and Elma, so I'm not complaining about being stuck with them so much as I'm complaining about being stuck with them. Here's hoping the best fit for that final spot will also be a character I'm fond of.

1000% Knight

Final slot always goes to HB or Lao when possible, they're my favorites~

So far I haven't felt much need for team synergy. Your 3 computer characters deal damage and call out soul voices... That's all they do, they seem to do it relatively equally (given equal levels/equipment/etc), and they don't really interact with your skills. It's nice to have a tank (that is, Lin) but besides that party member selection hasn't really felt like a super-important decision to me.

Gettin' Old!

Lao's alright...but I just met Boze who is the same class as him with a more interesting personality and (what I'd consider) better Soul Voices.

Team Synergy matters quite a bit to me. I really feel it (in a bad way) when I go back to main plot and deal with Lin and Elma not syncing with my SV in any meaningful way.

I also wish the other characters mattered more...like I realise I'm only allowed 1 extra character per mission. Would it be too much to give them some small amount of dialogue so they don't just feel like hired muscle?
Made by Chesu+Zombee

In Justice We Trust

Quote:
Commonly-quoted gun safety rule: Do not fire if there is someone or something next to or behind your target that you are not willing to shoot.

I'm guessing gun safety rules do not apply to rayguns. Doug and Yelv seem very prone to using Ether Blast and other "damage all enemies in a straight line" arts when one of the indigens behind the target isn't involved in the fight. For added "fun," sometimes the indigen in question is so far out of my league that it can pull off a one-hit TPK.

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

Beating Chapter 5 was so hard, I had to have a high-level scouted BLADE in my party. The affinity missions also had some humor (I wonder what would happen if Lin actually cooked Tatsu), especially the part in
Spoiler:
Renewed Will, I think
when you want to get into that fight.

Last edited by Yash K. Productions on Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gettin' Old!

Which was chapter 5 again?
Made by Chesu+Zombee

In Justice We Trust

The one in which you help out the Ma-Non.

On another note, I'm considering doing a new playthrough. I've beaten the game and have a better sense of how things work now. Maybe I'll choose a different division this time around.

Gettin' Old!

General Luigi wrote:
The one in which you help out the Ma-Non.

On another note, I'm considering doing a new playthrough. I've beaten the game and have a better sense of how things work now. Maybe I'll choose a different division this time around.

Ah yes I remember. That was.pretty difficult,I remember using stealth to beat it.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

I was decently leveled for that Chapter, but I had terrible, terrible luck. First time in Oblivia and, no lie, 90% of the time the weather was Electromagnetic storms for me, so I was going into most fights at around half health. Did not have a great first impression of that area. XD

And yes, I know I can spam warp points to change the weather, but I didn't have any good ones to Oblivia at the time.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:

I feel the same

In Justice We Trust

My favorite would have to be when the weather turns nasty in the middle of a big fight. I recall one time in Cauldros when I had a particular tyrant close to death, but then the weather turned on me. Since fast travel during combat's impossible, I had to either finish off the tyrant ASAP or get the fluorine uranium carbon potassium out of there. It was close to death, but not so close that I thought I could take it out before the weather took my party out. The blasted thing pursued me until the weather had taken out all four of our Skells. Right when my Skell exploded, the storm let up. There's rotten luck, and then there's the RNG giving you the finger in five different languages.

I mean, I gripe about it at times, but I really like how weather plays a bigger part in X than it did in Xenoblade Chronicles. Iirc, the only thing weather really did in the first game was just make certain enemies appear, whereas in X you get buffs and debuffs and the like. It's a neat mechanic.

And yes, I still haven't beaten the game yet, but considering my circumstances, I do get into the game about once a week. I'm currently prepping for chapter 9, but I did want to say that I really enjoyed Chapter 8. Required me use my Skell for the first time. Granted as of now, I still don't really now how to use them effectively as well as I can with Ground combat. The boss fight for the chapter was definitely my most intense yet though and I loved it.

So at the time, I only had one skell for myself. When I got the boss to half health, both my party members died. When I got him down to a third, my skell nearly blew up. I got lucky and evacuated when it had 6hp left. XD And somehow by the skin of my teeth, I still managed to beat the boss first try. All those circumstances definitely made the fight feel very epic, so even though it was stressful at the time, it was a fantastic experience. I was just happy at that moment that I mastered ground combat to be effective enough to save that fight. XD

I just hope somewhere down the line, I actually learn how Skell combat actually works because right now, all I know what to do is to grab and spam arts, which I don't think is a very effective strategy. XD
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:

I feel the same

In Justice We Trust

I feel the same way. Actual harmful weather effects can be annoying, but overall, I'm glad they're there. I feel they add more depth to the game. We're not on Earth anymore, and the weather is just one of the many things out there to remind us of that fact.

And yes, I also loved the boss fight in Chapter 8--probably not so much because of the battle itself, but rather the setup and where the story was going at the time. I could be mistaken, but I think that was also the first time "NO.EX01" played as the background music. The whole chapter, but especially the boss battle, really drove home the point that the bad guys aren't fooling around anymore.

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

So, who else
Spoiler: Chapter 7
misheard Elma saying "Samaarian bitch" instead of "Samaarian witch"?

Page 1 of 1 [ 35 posts ] 

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station