Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station

Page 256 of 274[ 10935 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 253, 254, 255, 256, 257, 258, 259 ... 274  Next

Re: What are you playing now?Topic%20Title

In Justice We Trust

I've been playing Tyranny lately. I got it for Christmas. I'm told it's similar to Pillars of Eternity, though I haven't played that game, so I wouldn't know. So far, I'm enjoying it. I don't know how many of the party members I'd want as friends in real life, but I like all of them as characters.
I'll always love you, Max.

Happy Maria

I'd think you would play DD first myself for SoJ to make sense.

Southern Corn (SC) wrote:

It's AA. Whatever you may have missed will be repeated to you ad nauseum.

C-A

Gettin' Old!

Ignore Cat she's biased by years of bitterness towards AA and sees the only value in it as yaoi bait for her headcanon.

Yeah you would need to, otherwise Case 4 would make no sense and any appearance of Athena would be weird.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Happy Maria

If she hates it so much then why is she even here?

Anyway,even if you don't like SoJ,it's still a weird place for new players to begin. Mainly due to the amount of references.

I've felt worse.

If she [Cat] hates it so much then why is she even here?

This question has been asked at least four times now.

On-topic, I'm taking another look at ŌkamiDen. I remember kinda liking it, even if it wasn't as good as the original. Looking at it now, well first I have to get past the rather slow opening.
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

C'mon, nobody really needs to be a fan of certain subject, or even like most parts of a subject, to participate in a forum about the subject and be a valuable contributor. This kind of site would be hella boring if all people were die-hard fans and nobody presented criticism or opposing viewpoints.

Plus, this Non Phoenix Wright part of the forum exists for a reason... there are other interesting things here, that don't involve talking about AA.

--

I'm re-playing Final Fantasy VI, VII and IX. Just want to see if I still think the franchise in general is kind of overrated.

Gettin' Old!

Thelema wrote:
C'mon, nobody really needs to be a fan of certain subject, or even like most parts of a subject, to participate in a forum about the subject and be a valuable contributor. This kind of site would be hella boring if all people were die-hard fans and nobody presented criticism or opposing viewpoints.

Plus, this Non Phoenix Wright part of the forum exists for a reason... there are other interesting things here, that don't involve talking about AA.

--

I'm re-playing Final Fantasy VI, VII and IX. Just want to see if I still think the franchise in general is kind of overrated.

Just cause folks like a franchise doesn't mean they can't still be critical or have a different opinion of it.

You can get opposing viewpoints while still liking something as a whole or in part.

Joining a fan site and then only insulting the thing the site is based on however? That's trolling (though I'm not saying Cat does this).
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Anyway,even if you don't like SoJ,it's still a weird place for new players to begin. Mainly due to the amount of references.

I was talking about in terms of plot or character things, not references. References are fun and something that is better if one knows what they are based on; but in terms of important things, AA will tell you over and over about things - like how you can barely play through AAI and not have at least one dang reference to Karma being responsible in DL-6.

Quote:
If she hates it so much then why is she even here?

To be honest, I joined this forum at a time when I hadn't finished the first three games yet and was still playing. I felt the game was a bit... stupid... and extremely loose with its law, but decided "first game, c'mon, it probably improves"... well, it didn't, for my tastes. The law became looser than old underwear's elastic and the cases became dumber and too easy to figure out.

So... I was naive when I came, then became bitter as AA disappointed me more and more.

Quote:

VI is awesome.

VII is the most overrated piece of dated, horrible crap that was outdated even back in 1997, when it was new.

IX might be good, I dunno - haven't played it, though I do recall looking things up and feeling a bit confused about some parts of the plot.

Quote:
Joining a fan site and then only insulting the thing the site is based on however? That's trolling (though I'm not saying Cat does this).

Correct; at least, I don't think that's what I'm doing.
I am fully willing to admit that 2-4 is a good case based on the message it tries to convey - but I feel it failed in its execution and having pretty much forgotten it for the next game.

C-A

Phoenix Wright SOJ. I'm at the very beginning of the 3rd case right now where
Spoiler:
Maya gets arrested for the murder of the head monk.

The Mechanic wrote:
Phoenix Wright SOJ. I'm at the very beginning of the 3rd case right now where
Spoiler:
Maya gets arrested for the murder of the head monk.

...Maya being arrested for suspicion of having committed a murder is not a spoiler. For any AA game.
This isn't me hating on AA; that's just the truth - if Maya is there, she needs to be accussed of murder.

To actually get back on topic, my Sims 3 100 Baby challenge is now done this way: I started with a teen household and had her age up from there, doing the usual teen thing. Since she aged into a young adult now, I got her pregnant by the first guy she met at the beginning - Maximus, who has been a potential romance since teen years. Fun little thing.

Also, Pokémon Moon.
I wonder why the developers decided to give Hala's Mankey "Anger Point" as its ability. Like, penalizing the player in the very first, big battle for getting a crit? Which is technically an RNG thing?

C-A

Do you see the black one...or the white?

Thelema wrote:

I honestly don't feel Final Fantasy is as overrated a franchise as it used to be. I will say though, I feel that FFIX is a very underrated game in comparison with most of the franchise. It seems to me that it's constantly overlooked. In my opinion though, it's one of the best Final Fantasy games and I feel overall it's held up very well.
On April 3, 2016, Court Records Forums experienced a miracle upon that day.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Man...that looks dull...this actually makes me worried for KH3 (since that team worked on the battle system)

I feel the same

The only major complaint I had about FF IX was it took freaking forever to get going

Then again that applies to a number of RPGs generally held in high regard (Persona 4, Suikoden V, etc.) so

★ I wanna Yabba Dabba Die ★

A coworker had me for the Secret Santa thing and she bought me a $20 PlayStation card. So far I bought Tomb Raider 2 and South Park: Stick of Truth. I've been playing South Park for two days and haven't even touched Tomb Raider yet. I'll probably play it later.
FacebookKidd & Milky ArtPersonal/18+ Art InstagramArt Merch
Twitter: @miilkyweiPSN: Saebyeog ☆ Switch: SW-6480-0576-7900 ♡
*HMU if you wanna die or request commissions*
Currently (Re)Watching / Playing: Chainsaw Man / Pokemon Scarlet

In Justice We Trust

Franzise Deauxnim wrote:
The only major complaint I had about FF IX was it took freaking forever to get going

Then again that applies to a number of RPGs generally held in high regard (Persona 4, Suikoden V, etc.) so

Funny. I was just thinking that about Tyranny. Slow starts strike me as a staple of RPGs. I suspect part of it is that RPG plots are rarely simple enough for the game to "get going" quickly.

I'd say FFIX takes maybe 30 minutes to 45 minutes to get into a dungeon proper. While I agree it takes a bit before it gets into the meat of the game, at least they give you stuff to do in the beginning of the game, such as throwing in a couple of mini-games, getting to walk around, and having a couple of mock battles. Way better than Persona 4 in that regard, where it's non-stop dialogue for about 2 to 3 hours with minimal walking around.

I love both games though, but I personally don't think FF9 is bad about that at all. If anything, I'd say the biggest gripe I'd have with the game is the loading times when getting into battles and the frog mini-game in disc 3, but that's nitpicking for me.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Man...that looks dull...this actually makes me worried for KH3 (since that team worked on the battle system)

I feel the same

Dullahan, minigames? Reminds me of the entire, stupid Juno section of FF VII. You know. CPR minigame! Jump-off-the-dolphin minigame! Walk in the parade minigame! Perform in front of Rufus minigame! Proceed to wipe your ass minigame-Okay, that wasn't one of them, but still.

In general, I don't mind minigames in videogames... if they aren't really forced onto the player. Just optional. Like... in Tales of Symphonia, you need a Palmacosta Wine. It costs 1.000 Gald, which can be expensive at that point because of equipment and all. If you happen to have money for it, buy it. If you don't, the game tells you of the waitress minigame at the nearby cafeteria.
Techncially, you are required to do it at that point, but it does give you a plot mandated item. (Also, a title for Collet) And it can be skipped.

Though I recall I absolutely loved WHIZ in Tales of Eternia. Screw whatever the plot was, I wanna play THAT minigame.

But yeah, Persona is getting notoriously bad for actually getting to the game.
I believe I've mentioned it: my first play of Persona 5 ended up taking me 4-6 hours to get to the ACTUAL dungeon gameplay and not mandated go-only-here parts. Yes, part of that was because I was listening to dialogue and all, but still.

C-A

Save for one mini-game, which is pretty easy and not troublesome, most of the stuff in the beginning of FF9 I remember being optional. You can rush straight into the plot no problem. In my opinion, aside from the forced mini-game in disc 3 dealing with a certain frog, FF9 does mini-games a heck of a lot better than FF7, with most of them being optional and not forced like FF7's. I swear people tend to forget how many mini-games that game forces on you when they talk about the game.

From my recollection, FF9 forces I believe 3 mini-games in the whole story, one which you are allowed to lose and still progress with the story. There's a match a button prompt game, a required card battle game, and the frog mini-game. As opposed to FF7 which had the barrels with Aeris, timing the button presses with Tifa and Barret, doing squats, the bike section, the lung breathing, dolphin jumping, chocobo racing, snowboarding, the submarine mini-game, the excavation mini-game, Fort Condor, the Junon parade section, and I'm sure there's more I'm missing. All of these required in the main story as well to progress. It's freaking insane.

In my opinion, most of these mini-games have very clunky controls as well. As someone who just 100%ed this game with Steam Achievements earlier this year (FYI, this is a terrible idea and I don't recommend this to anyone), I feel my stance on this game is pretty much the same. It's not terrible, but it's far from the best. After doing everything I can with this game, I doubt I'll ever go back to it again considering this game really doesn't have anything that draws me to it. I'll probably play the remake, but that's about it.

FF9, I can do all I want with the game, and I still find myself coming back to it as, aside from one part of the game, it lacks all the tedium that FF7 provides and I feel it has a better, overall experience for me. And unlike FF7, getting a Golden Chocobo is a lot more fun and way less confusing and tedious as all you need to do to get one in this game is play Choco Hot and Cold and Treasure Hunt. Not mindlessly grind and mate chocobos for hours upon hours. Also, in my opinion, Choco Hot and Cold is easily one of the best mini-games in the Final Fantasy franchise.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:

I feel the same

I'm in the middle of FFVI now. My opinion about it now is similar to the opinion I had before... what makes this game good is the pacing and the plot. How things flow, and how they keep you interested in what comes next. But similarly to FFIV, I feel the game focus more on breadth than depth. Many characters, but a somewhat superficial exploration of them (and some innocuous dialogues). Not being harsh on my criticism here, because hey, we have to take into account the fact that this game came out during the early 90's. Tbh, it was the first FF game I played that actually made me feel something...
Kefka is fun - he is basically just a caricature or archetype of the evil clown/jester who is evil for the sake of being evil and wanting power, but still entertaining compared to the villains of previous games. Celes and Terra are good female characters (despite the whole cliché about Terra's powers... "u the only one"... "u r special"... though this kind of stuff is common in most JRPGs)
Anyway, I would still place this game in the "good" box, not in the "amazing" or "outstanding" box.

I might disagree with CatMuto about FFVII being shit... I would agree that the game doesn't deserve all the praise it gets, and I don't think it aged extremely well (the graphics - ouch), but it actually brought something different to the series. The way the game focuses on Cloud and Sephiroth is a whole new thing... how it focuses more on the main character's psychological world, and how even the villain is somewhat an extension of the main character's inner world. It doesn't deal with the main character's issues on a superficial level ("hey, you have powers, you are good, you have to save the world from an evil empire/king") - and I think this is a huge improvement when it comes to how RPGs develop, and create more nuances in their characters. When I finish FFVI, I will play it again, and some of my opinions here may change, but I doubt it.

And I think I agree with Dullahan about FFIX being kind of underrated... Even though Zidane/Garnet is not one couple I enjoy a lot and all, I remember finding them way better than most "canon main couples", for example, like Cecil/Rosa or Tidus/Yuna, and most characters decent.

As much as I love VI, I do kind of think they could have easily trimmed the playable character rooster. Going by terms of importance, you have Tina, Celes, Locke and maybe Edgar or Cyan... I know that Rem and Strago, you know, they have a nice little plot and all, but they kind of really fall into the background very fast. Even Cyan, who is one I count as a bit more important, because his plot ties in with Kefka and begins to show you just how deranged that psycho is - he still has his plot in the world of ruin, which goes well.
And, of course, everybody seems to love Shadow.
I got nothing against him, I just don't see him as that amazing.

Plus, with the whole Esper-magic-learning, it's easy to make any character pretty much whatever you want; which defeats the purpose of the larger cast again.
If one looks at XIII, they do a decent job - six characters in total, they all have their place in the plot (though Snow disappears off-screen for half of it) and, while you can learn every role with them eventually, some are still better than others and they have their 'best' role: Vanilla is a great SAB and RAV; Hope is more MED and RAV; Lightning is all-round; Snow is more for defense...
Of course, you can use whatever party member you prefer. It's just that some of them are better suited for certain roles, battles or plot sections.

See, I get what you mean about Cloud.
It's a nice idea, but I found him so boring and unlikeable in the beginning. He does get better at the end of the game, but there is a chunk of the game where he's... not there. I find it difficult to really care about a character (especially if it's supposed to be a main character!) and what they are going through, if they are not on-screen and have their thing going off somewhere else. (Similar to my Snow example above; he has his place and his motivations are shown through flashbacks, but he spends the times between those flashbacks where I don't see him - instead, I get a lot closer to Vanilla and Sazh or Hope and Light. He just feels like the thumb sticking out - even Fang feels more intergrated than him)

Now, where I found a protagonist's plot was done well is Tales of the Abyss.
Luke starts off as super arrogant and can be unlikeable to some. But he gets better over the course of the game and I never am without him (exception: the Rugnica Deathcap sidequest... which is an optional sidequest), so I see him go from arrogant to annoying to pitiful to want-to-encourage-him. Even if he spent a section of the game 'comatose' akin to Cloud, he still was present and I saw him react to how things were going down 'without' him.
...thinking about Luke just makes me realize how much Namco has started to drop the ball with later games...

C-A

PS: Oh, in my Moon Nuzlocke, I had a Smeargle... I barely used it, before exchanging it for a Rockruff.

I had already watched a walkthrough DD, actually, so I decided to get SoJ first since I hadn't watched that yet and DD would be a bit more boring, due to knowing what the tricks to the cases are and all that.
Signature loading, please wait...

Happy Maria

Fair enough then.

Yabba Dabba Doo

Just started Skyrim, which for some reason I've yet to play. Only a few hours in, but I can tell that this will consume me at least until the end of January.

I've felt worse.

I'm playing Assassin's Creed III. Maybe it's because I haven't played the other games in the series, but the narrative just feels off. It's lile they wanted to make a game about the American Revolution, but they also wanted to make a game about secret societies investigating ancient alien technology so they can avert the apocalypse, and ended up making a QTE sequence where you fight a bear.
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

In Justice We Trust

I'm playing Pokémon Sun and trying to catch a Passimian who keeps calling in reinforcements. I've only had a chance to throw a Great Ball at her twice. She's summoned around ten Trumbeak so far. I knock one out and she summons another immediately. At this rate, she'll knock herself out with Struggle before I get a chance to catch her.

Edit: Friggin' finally. The ground in the Lush Jungle is now littered with unconscious Trumbeak, but I finally caught that blasted Passimian. Right after I made this post, she stopped calling in reinforcements, giving me a chance to chuck two balls at her in a row--the second worked.

In my Pokémon Moon nuzlocke, I am about to meet Kukui's wife... honestly... I can't remember if my own Trumbeak is technically dead... did it faint during the Grass Totem battle? I don't remember... not that I would mind much, I have a Vullaby in my box if I need a spare Flying type. The Eevee hatched from the egg I made a Leafeon this time - so I have my Fire starter, a Poly...whirl? The one before needing a Waterstone to evolve for Water and Leafeon.
I also have a Miltank and Magnemite, which finally evolved into a Magneton.
I lost my Bee (Golbat), though... and I had it hold the Soothe Bell ever since I got it... Screw you, Salazze Totem! Freaking CRIT Flame Burst.

Also, my current 100 Baby challenge is going okay. Here is a post where you can see the first and secondborn's CAS pictures of growing up. I'm currently at 11 children for Generation 1 and can't wait for the next few kids to become YAs so I can have them move out.

C-A

Gettin' Old!

Final Fantasy XV...

I think I really like it guys.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Ace Explorer

Lately, I've been using Enter the Gungeon as my stress-relief game of choice. And I've needed the stress relief.
Well? Are we going or what?

Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...

Just finished playing The Beginner's Guide. Not sure what I think about this one, really. It's not worth the full price tag, but if you can find it for $1 or something, it might be worth it. I'm still trying to process how I feel about the narrative.

TheDoctor wrote:
Just finished playing The Beginner's Guide. Not sure what I think about this one, really. It's not worth the full price tag, but if you can find it for $1 or something, it might be worth it. I'm still trying to process how I feel about the narrative.

I watched someone play it - can you even call it 'playing' if you are walking through various sets of incomplete games while a guy narrates about someone else? - I couldn't finish the entire thing.

On the one hand, it's cool to see assets that someone created for games.

On the other hand, it sounds stupid how this guy is trying to psychologically analyze the asset creator based on what assets he created. (YanDev is making a game about being a Yandere girl and wanting to 'get rid' of your rivals to get Sempai - does this mean YanDev is a homicidal maniac? No.) Plus, he basically admitted that he did this to hopefully reach out to the asset creator and get him to do things again.

Comes across as... weird...

C-A

Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...

Assuming the story is even true to begin with.

I'm at the second half of Case 5 in SOJ. I'm still at the investigation stage.

Project Diva Future Tone

Project Diva X, aside from a few cool new modules and a couple songs including this absolute masterpiece, was fairly disappointing (to me anyway)

Future Tone drops the weak story mode along with the Room Designer Sim and Vocaloid-Amie stuff from previous games and just gives you freaking two hundred twenty-four songs to play (including alternate vocals for a handful of them) for about $54

That's

That's just amazing, I don't even know what else to say

The only real downsides I can come up with is there's no physical version (oh well) and no song edit mode where you can make your own music videos (never felt up to dumping the hours and hours that takes to do one anyway)

Tenattaten

Pokemon Moon nuzlocke. You know, I enjoy nuzlockes in general. But I don't really like the "grab 1st Pokemon you encounter" rule. Mostly because I always notice that I easily get the same team, no matter how many times I start a nuzlocke. My current team is the starter. I got a Caterpie from Route 1. Hau'oli City gave me Magnemite, which I got there a lot. Gastly from the cemetery. Spearow from Route 3. If I am not mentioning Route 2 or the Meadow, that's because I purposefully did not get those two - they were Smeargle and Oricorio, respectively. I don't like Oricorios that much and Smeargle sucks, plain and simple.
Half of that team, not counting the starter, is what I tend to get from those locations a lot.

I should go back to doing the "2nd encounter counts" part. Or third.

C-A

I'm replaying Phoenix Wright JFA. I'm on "Farewell, My Turnabout."

Luigi Time!!!

Alex Kidd in Miracle World 2: A ROM hack for the Master System classic, very nice, way harder than the original.

I'm playing Deep Sleep. It's a short indie point and click horror game. There's actually a series of them. Deep Sleep, Deeper Sleep, and Deepest Sleep. I discovered this game while I was on Markaplier's channel.

Got Atelier Sophie on a whim. Really enjoying it so far. One of the most comfiest games I've played in a long time.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:

I feel the same

The video game boy; the one who wins

I got some money for the nintendo eshop for my birthday and binged on cheap stuff. I am now playing Super Mario Land, Cave Story (a relatively new platform game I had heard was good) and just started Chase: Cold Case (by the same director as Hotel Dusk, which I love, plus it was really cheap). Also I've been craving AJ lately, and it was nearly two years since I last replayed a case from it, so I think I'll give the whole game a go sometime soon.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

Ace Procrastinator

Playing Fire Emblem 6 which is my first fire emblem game. It's an good game but man do I hate Roy. If only someone told me about him being the worst Lord ever sooner rather than let me assume that he was good based on Smash.
Page 256 of 274 [ 10935 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 253, 254, 255, 256, 257, 258, 259 ... 274  Next

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station