Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Global Studios

Page 2 of 3[ 84 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Re: We should talk about lesser known manga.Topic%20Title

I know, Wright?

RobbieValiant wrote:
I'm a fan of a somewhat obscure OEL manga, Return to Labyrinth. The manga itself is a sequel to the 80's movie Labyrinth, and has a lot of references for Jim Henson fans to catch- lots of small nods and even a Fraggle cameo.

I've saw that in a book store once, but I've never read it. I love Jim Henson though, so maybe I'll pick it up next time :gymshoe:

yabadab wrote:
Addicted To Curry is very humorous and nicely drawn.

I just started reading this and I completely agree :edgy: I'm only a chapter in, but it's very well done.

LySs wrote:
Saint Young Men

It's about Jesus and Buddha as roommates sharing an apartment in Japan. FUCK YEAR.

I started this too, because it sounded to awesome to pass up. I'm not 10 pages in, so I can't say anything for the story yet, but the art is wonderfully done.

:)

Anyone here ever read Fake or Dolls.

I only have volume 3 of Fake but I really like the art and storyline to it same with Dolls. <3

Resident Bookworm

Two more titles that you've probably never heard of/read...

Gimmick: Not to be confused with Hot Gimmick (which I HATE), it's about a SFX artist named Kohei and his sidekick Kannazuki, a talented stuntman, and the various jobs he does. It's actually a lot better than it sounds as the stories range from celebs trying to deal with crazy managers or stalkers to a guy trying to bomb a monster based theme park to catching crooks all through the magic Kohei creates when he works and seeing exactly how things to come together and trying to figure out what's real and what's just SFX. The story for the most part features on the small arcs but there's an overreaching arc focusing on another SFX artist going around and doing sorts of challenges (usually illegal/dangerous) to Kohei. Overall, the series is fairly unique and a fun read that knows when to hit you with comedy and when to whack you over the head with drama (ex: the arc explaining why Kohei left Hollywood and returned to doing small-time work in Japan).

Kamui: I haven't finished it yet but it's one of my favorite sleeper titles. The first volume or two is on the side of boring but if you can outlast that you're in for a nice read. Basically the setting is in a post-apocalyptic Tokyo where the people are guided by a single organization/school called NOA that is led by young people specifically. These people are infused with powers called Tousen that allow them to control things like wind or fire. Enter Asuma, stereotypical talented, young, foul tempered, loner who comes to NOA in search of something called Okikurumi, setting off a series of events dealing with the truths behind NOA's operations, the true role of the students, and a mass of very screwed up relationships (both romantic and platonic). While the story itself is about average what sells the series is the characters and art.

some sort of diabolical mastermind

I'm currently reading Bakuretsu Tenshi. The story's about a totallitarian Japan that has done very little so far except restrict firearm ownership, and a rebel syndicate who appear to be comprised of approximately seven people. Drawing's decent, though it degenerates in some parts.

Having said that, it does explain that even rebel groups have cash, and bullets aren't cheap. Something I never noticed in other "rebel group" stories.

LySs wrote:
Saint Young Men

It's about Jesus and Buddha as roommates sharing an apartment in Japan. FUCK YEAR.

That is so absurd I'm reading it right now.

derp

Currently I'm addicted to Eyeshield 21 :3
I can't believe how underrated it is. It's too fucking awesome.
Also, Yu Yu Hakusho really good too. Although I stopped watching after the Chapter Black Saga...

Fool!

I really like Takeru Opera Susanoh Sword of the Devil.
Based on a play, written by the author of Gurren Lagann. It's short, decent and well-drawn. Available from Tokyopop.

Also, you should read/watch Toward the Terra/Terra e/To Terra (yay for multiple titles!). One of the most unknown-but-awesome series ever. The manga is 70s, the anime from 2007. <3
"Who needs enemies when you've got friends like detective Gumshoe?"

derp

Let's see...
Aoi Destruction
Only 5 chapters :sadshoe: I liked the first 3 though, they were awesome. They should have just sticked to the plot in the first 3.

Pita-Ten
Finished it all. Serioiusly. Really funny. And sad at the same time. I actually cried.

Fabu♥

I'm currently reading this manga called GE - Good Ending. Not sure if it's well-known or not.

Good Ending follows the main character Utsumi 's interactions with Kurokawa Yuki, a member of the school tennis team, in order for Utsumi to confess his feelings to the captain of the tennis team.
ImageImage

Is still absolute trash.

ObjectionEarthbound wrote:

I was going to go check out the anime for Eyeshield 21, but maybe later~.

(Uzumaki by Junjo Ito)
Ahaha.....ah......
Uzumaki (Spiral) is based around a small Jap. town that becomes possessed by an obsession of spirals, and how the spirals end up becoming something that's probably much worse than "2012". :D It has officially burned into my mind.

(Magic Kaito by Gosho Aoyama)
There are two things I like about this manga; Kaito being a kaito (haha) and magic tricks. But after three volumes, Aoyama stopped working on it..... *sob* (Which is why we now have the Detective Conan anime/manga!)

(Sapphire: Ribbon Knight by Pink Hanamori)
Based off the old Ribon no Kishi manga by Osamu Tezuka. I think it (Ribon no Kishi) is relatively known, but I don't doubt that this version (Sapphire) is not as well-known as RnK.

(Saga of Darren Shan/Cirque du Freak by Takahiro Akai)
Dunno if this is lesser-known due to the Cirque du Freak movie and the actual book series by Darren Shan but it's really good! I'm currently on Chapter 16 ♡♡!
*trumpet sounds*

Do you see the black one...or the white?

I'm currently reading Cage of Eden and so far I'm really enjoying it. Call me a fan of gory stories, but this one is pretty neat and it has some great characterization as well as some great character derailing. It's pretty much about this class returning from a class trip on a plane when something goes wrong and they crashland on an unknown island full of deadly extinct prehistoric monsters who are out for their blood. People from the plane are out trying to survive anyway they can which ranges from running away to killing your closest friend to use them as bait to keep the monster away from you to trying to fight against them and dying from their carnivorous nature.
On April 3, 2016, Court Records Forums experienced a miracle upon that day.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Man...that looks dull...this actually makes me worried for KH3 (since that team worked on the battle system)

I feel the same

The Heir to the Planet

Location: the place bewtten space and time, mind and matter. Yes, I am in the velvet room

I got Princess Lucia. It's about a demon princess whose goal is to have sex with the main charter. If she succeeds, a fierce demon will be born that can engulf the world in chaos for 7 days.

2 angels are trying to stop this, and one is the main charaters-Yuta-'s crush..

Hilarious and Sexy. A definate reccomend
Son to electroboy . engaged to the lovely-girliedinosaur24 that's right: be jealous Oh yeeah, OriginalBubs is my crazy uncle., and I love sending him into oblivion
Time to feed the sandwitch and eat the baby!

I'ma gonna blow you out of the water.

Right now I'm reading a series called Muhyo and Roji's Bureau of Paranormal Investigation (which will probably be labeled Muhyo to Roji if you look for it.) Why did I pick it up? Because Muhyo looks like a little Phoenix, and the series is about PARANORMAL LAW. Yup, you read that right. They sentence ghosts that have overstayed their welcome, which is much more exciting than it sounds.

Overall, it's a really good series. Great characterization, interesting plot points, and the fights that go on between Muhyo and Roji are pure hilarity. I mean, I'm only nine volumes in and I'm hooked. :) Still, it's a shame that it didn't get picked up to become an anime. Also, I'm not sure if this is "mainstream" or not, because while it used to be in Shonen Jump, it didn't get the sort of publicity that other Jump manga have.
Fanfiction~Yotube

Thanks go to Floran and TheBaronAndEma for the siggy and avy respectively.
They rock, so go request something from them!

Wherever you go, I will be there.

Animal Academy.

Signature by Myself
Sister of BSX and ChocolateXCheese

Captain Ascot and the Survey Corps!

Not sure how appreciated it is, but have to say, possibly my favourite manga is Jing: King of Bandits, both series. About a young boy who's basically the most insanely brilliant thief with an awesome jacket, and a sword up its sleeve which looks far cooler than the wrist blades in Assassin's Creed. He always steals the most impossible of things, and has a talking bird companion who hits on women all the time. Also, Jing's the one who's popular with the ladies, with as many of them after him as after James Bond. It's quite hilarious too, and I'd definitely recommend it. There is an anime, but it's different in a number of ways.

Some lesser known mangas I can think of that I liked were The Dreaming (An OEL horror/mystery) Kare First Love (Romance/Drama/Slice Of Life), and Yureka (Aka "Id_Entity", this one was manwha though).

Truth, Duty, and...ugh?

yabadab wrote:
I read some, and 2 manga really stood out in my list:
Addicted To Curry is very humorous and nicely drawn.
The Drifting Classroom is an old manga from the 70s, so the drawing style may be a bit different, but it's a addicting and original story.
Definitely worth reading! :redd:

I used to read the Drifting Classroom, but over time it just got too random of my liking and I ended up giving them away.

A lesser known manga that I absolutely loved was Pretty Face; it's perverted, funny, but has a great storyline.

I refuse to change my avatar

Lets see...

E'S
Kamui
Enchanter
Knights(In funny font)
Er....Devil Princess?....Sorry, I think thats the name but I think I'm wrong since I can't find it right now.
Shoulder-a-Coffin Kuro (I like this one)

Murder Princess and Princess Resurrection are good but are becoming more well known so yeah....
Orange Crows is cool but I dont quite know if fits here....

Yeah....Bye. Oh, Animal Academy was mentioned but It's pretty good so read it!
Thank you Delsy for the Awesome Game Over Sig! If you're still here, I still love it!

Pita-Ten.

CONTAINS NUDE SCENE :redd:

Signature by Myself

The master of Judging 64

I was reading Ghost Sweeper Mikami till it ended. Don't know if it known or not. One of the worst ending ever. Was this canceled? Reminds me of that one manga that cut way too short and the ending was really bad because of it. It was my daily thing once a day it get updated. Now I don't know what to do with myself I would wait all day for it to update.

btw it about Ghost hunting.

Q.E.D. -something like Conan but it not all about murder and when someone dies it not always when the main character showed up. There no underline plot that get shove out of the way to make 500+ chapters. Also the kids does NOT have to hide about them solving any freaken murder case.

Usagi Drop(english version is Bunny Drop). I don't know if I should read this. At first I liked it but then

Spoiler:
They put a freaken Time skip in it. Naruto make sense. Wtf want to read 3 years of training? but this was stupid. You think the guy would of got married to that one woman or something more would happen to the douche of mother

Baby, Please Kill Me. This is where my avatar is from. It about two people. One being some underage assassin(make me wonder how good is she the way she acts in the manga) and someone who is kind goofy. It kind of boring with only two characters. There a third one but she rarely show up. This is mostly due to the manga being about that two person comedy group thing(where one person is serious and the other isn't)

derp

Dylia wrote:
Pita-Ten.

CONTAINS NUDE SCENE :redd:

LOL I CRACKED UP AT THAT PART TOO.

'One who should not exist..'

I love reading Gakuen Alice. I haven't finished it yet, but i like the story so far.
It's about a (in the beginning) 10 years old girl whose friend moved to some special school. Mikan, the girl, followed her and found out that that school is actually a school for people with special abilities called alices. Mikan found out she had the nullification alice and becomes a student there. all contacts with the outside world were forbidden.
Mikan does a lot of things with her friends who all have different alices.
i really like the drawing style to.

FINE

~Utsurowazarumono~ The unfading ones.
(Breath of Fire IV manga)
http://somethingorotherscans.com/boff.html
It's a manga based in the game, but it's getting better in the latests chapters.
Spoiler: yeaaaah big spoilers
Like Ryu going berskerk ( he god mad because a soldier killed every people from a town, and in that town, everyone had a kid's body, even if they were adults
Oh, yeah, and the Emperor's (Ryu's other half) girlfriend got sacrificed. He went crazy.

A True English Diva-To-Be <3

dullahan1 wrote:
I'm currently reading Cage of Eden and so far I'm really enjoying it. Call me a fan of gory stories, but this one is pretty neat and it has some great characterization as well as some great character derailing. It's pretty much about this class returning from a class trip on a plane when something goes wrong and they crashland on an unknown island full of deadly extinct prehistoric monsters who are out for their blood. People from the plane are out trying to survive anyway they can which ranges from running away to killing your closest friend to use them as bait to keep the monster away from you to trying to fight against them and dying from their carnivorous nature.

This is such a good manga- it gets really tense when the survivors begin turning on each other.... Trouble is, it's only scanlated up to Volume 32 and it's a currently ongoing series, so having read all the available volumes, I've been left on a cliffhanger until more recent volumes are scanlated =( Also not really a fan of the COPIOUS panty-flashing that's featured in pretty much every volume, but overall, it's very, very good.
Click on Janice for graphics ^^

I refuse to change my avatar

DEADMAN WONDERLAND IS HERE!!! WOOOOO!!!!

WEE!!! SO AWESOME!! AHHH!!!

Whoops...My love of this series popped out. Seriously though, READ IT! Warning, Contains much bloody deaths, Fighitng with Blood, Killing with Blood, The Mysterious Red Man and more!!

Also, I rather like Sket-Dance.

Also, Break Blade is a uber Awesome Manga.
Thank you Delsy for the Awesome Game Over Sig! If you're still here, I still love it!

Railgun Girl

Barajou no Kiss,Stray Love Hearts and Ghost Only are really good mangas!

Alice Kanon wrote:
Barajou no Kiss,Stray Love Hearts and Ghost Only are really good mangas!

Hm, good tastes.

Signature by Myself

A True English Diva-To-Be <3

I just finished reading Blue Heaven. It's basically about this luxury cruise ship (no prizes for guessing that, yes, its name is Blue Heaven) which takes pity on a fishing boat that's drifting out at sea and sends some crew members aboard to see if there's anyone there. They find everyone is dead apart from two men, who are taken aboard. One wakes up and tells the steward that the other man was responsible for the killings but by the time they go after the other man, he's already disappeared into the ship and begun killing...

The main characters are really believable and even though the main villain's presumably meant to be the one you're supposed to hate- it's actually one of the supporting villains who's the most despicable (gah, I absolutely HATED this guy DX)

TL;DR.... A really good read and very gripping
Click on Janice for graphics ^^

Don't worry, I don't bite... hard...

Fang of the White Lotus; it's about a wolf who becomes a fighting dog to avenge his mother. It's written by the same guy who made Ginga Nagareboshi Gin (Anime/Manga about dogs that's very popular in nordic countries), but it never really took off.
Gamu the Armored Fighter; By the same guy as above. It's about dogs called Ganins who can speak with their masters through telekinesis.
Epic avatar drawn by Flann, colored and avatar-ified by me. Banner by GS.

Ace Sidekick!

I Love My Younger Sister, also know as Secret Sweethearts in the US.

This manga is about 15 year old junior high school student Yori who ever since he was a little boy has had dreams of marrying his twin sister Iku. His parents brushed this off as an innocent dream but now that he's 15 he is still madly in love with Iku and has fantasies of them having sex. He tries to rid himself of these feelings hy having sex with a girl who likes him but to no avail.

Warning: mature content.

Do I really need to explain why this is lesser known/unpopular?

I like the manga Kuragehime. http://myanimelist.net/manga.php?id=17904
I also really like Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro: http://myanimelist.net/manga/674/Majin_Tantei_Nougami_Neuro
I also think the manhwa Noblesse seems good: http://myanimelist.net/manga/29983/Noblesse

Heh heh.

Fight no Akatsuki. Basketball manga. I dare you to tell me you've heard of it.

Akuma Bengoshi Kukabara. Something about demon defense attorneys.

M.C. Law. Former crime boss turned youngest lawyer in history (not younger than :franny: , but meh).

Saijou no Meii. Pediatricians.

Wild Life. Veteranarians.

GodHand Teru. Surgeons.

Asklepios. Medieval surgeon.

I'm reasonably sure these are lesser known. None of them have been adapted into other media, no one I know has read them (except maybe one other guy), and they were all under 100 chapters, last I checked.
So I finally grew a brain and remembered to give myself a signature... Whoopee.
Snackoos IRL. They are delicious and are covered in real chocolate. #so-grateful-I'm-Filipino

Excuse me if I contradict myself. I do that.

zydrate comes in a little glass vial~

ObjectionEarthbound wrote:
I can't believe how underrated it is. It's too fucking awesome.
Also, Yu Yu Hakusho really good too. Although I stopped watching after the Chapter Black Saga...

um dude. they're by no means underated. Yu Yu Hakusho has a very devout fanbase, as does Eyeshield.

Replay always!

Mirii-chan wrote:
I like the manga Kuragehime. http://myanimelist.net/manga.php?id=17904
I also really like Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro: http://myanimelist.net/manga/674/Majin_Tantei_Nougami_Neuro
I also think the manhwa Noblesse seems good: http://myanimelist.net/manga/29983/Noblesse

I'm a fan of Noblesse :maya:

The art is great, although it varies from time to time (the artists probably get tired) and the story-telling is good. One of the best with cliffhangers, they make me want to shake my screen in the vague hope of making a new chapter appear immediately -- it's one of Noblesse's charms.

Expert bluffer

9mayasato9 wrote:
Fight no Akatsuki. Basketball manga. I dare you to tell me you've heard of it.

Akuma Bengoshi Kukabara. Something about demon defense attorneys.

M.C. Law. Former crime boss turned youngest lawyer in history (not younger than :franny: , but meh).

Saijou no Meii. Pediatricians.

Wild Life. Veteranarians.

GodHand Teru. Surgeons.

Asklepios. Medieval surgeon.

I'm reasonably sure these are lesser known. None of them have been adapted into other media, no one I know has read them (except maybe one other guy), and they were all under 100 chapters, last I checked.

I have read every single one of these, you and me should high five.

My throw-in would be Itsuwaribito Utsuho I guess. Historical manga that has a lying protagonist. Pretty great series actually.
"Your argument is like a naked banana--it simply lacks a peel." --Phoenix Wright

"I'll gladly take your 1 cent!" --Miles Edgeworth

Gettin' Old!

Monster Hunter Orage.

It's got some real manly bits and plenty of speeches about friendship and trusting in your comrades. Everything the heart needs to stay strong and shine bright.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Do you see the black one...or the white?

Been enjoying Wagatsuma wa Ore no Yore and Yamada-kun to 7-nin no Majo for well over a year. Both are quite funny and I find them to be terribly addicting. The former is about an awkward high school student who can randomly jump through time, finds out he's married to the girl he idolizes, and in the present, tries to figure out how he won her heart while attempting to find the triggers that did so only to end up in awkward or hilariously embarrassing situations. His group of nerd friends really help make the manga as well. The latter is written and drawn by the same mangaka who did Flunk Punk Rumble/ Yankee-kun to Megane-chan, so it was easily an instant hook for me.
On April 3, 2016, Court Records Forums experienced a miracle upon that day.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Man...that looks dull...this actually makes me worried for KH3 (since that team worked on the battle system)

I feel the same

1000% Knight

Pierre wrote:
Monster Hunter Orage.

It's got some real manly bits and plenty of speeches about friendship and trusting in your comrades. Everything the heart needs to stay strong and shine bright.

Hiro Mashima is a boss.
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Gettin' Old!

Bad Player wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Monster Hunter Orage.

Hiro Mashima is a boss.

Same guy who did Fairy Tale was it?

I heard the characters were pretty much foils for Fairy Tale characters but hell it was still great, the art was good too. If anything it makes me want to give Fairy Tale a shot.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Walking the path of heaven, ruler of all

I want to talk a bit about Fukomoto. Sure I guess he isn't that less known. Kaiji and Akagi has gotten a bit of reputation now. But I just want to say that you should really read some of his other works. One of my favorite mangas is The Legend of the strongest man kurosawa. Wich is about a lonely adult man that don't have anything in life. During all his life he was dealt a shit hand. The only thing he want his some compassion and some friends and some warmth. But somehow he ends up in a fight with some high school delinquents and this somehow starts to bring in some changes in his life.
Awesome sig made by Nadindi.
My otp's are. MayaxLarry and PhoenixxFranziska

1000% Knight

oddy wrote:
I want to talk a bit about Fukomoto. Sure I guess he isn't that less known. Kaiji and Akagi has gotten a bit of reputation now. But I just want to say that you should really read some of his other works. One of my favorite mangas is The Legend of the strongest man kurosawa. Wich is about a lonely adult man that don't have anything in life. During all his life he was dealt a shit hand. The only thing he want his some compassion and some friends and some warmth. But somehow he ends up in a fight with some high school delinquents and this somehow starts to bring in some changes in his life.

My favorite manga of his is Gambling Emperor Legend Zero.

His art style is certainly... unique, but he has some really great stories once you get past that.
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!
Page 2 of 3 [ 84 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Global Studios