Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Global Studios

Page 2 of 2[ 51 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Re: Good Dubs in AnimeTopic%20Title

johnny rainbow wrote:
Also, let me say on the record that the first few seasons of Sailor Moon had really good dubbing. The voice actors and actresses all fit their parts well. The only problem was the scripts were terrible. Then when it got revived in Cartoon Network, everything about the dubbing was awful.

Yeah the American Sailor Moon DiC Seasons had butchered Episodes and some good voices... the Cloverway Seasons had good episodes, but also butchered ones and it seems like they gave a middlefinger to the executive meddling they did, forcing them to re-edit an episode to put an obviously-drawn-on-bikini onto a naked monster (and ruining the scheduling because of that), by having the voice actresses all sound like they're having orgasms just by running around.

El Hazard - the Magnificent World OVA has a really good English dub! First time I watched their first episode, it was in German. The German dub was good, but since I love Japanese, I watched it in Japanese with subtitles when I got the DVDs. Noticed that the timing for speech and subtitles was a bit off during the last two or three episodes, though...
Went to the English dub and that was really good! The voices fit well, the woman who voiced Ifurita did a decent enough job at sounding emotionless, whoever voiced Jinnai did a good job at that cackle and even Queen Deeva's voice was seductive. Overall, all the voices in it were really great, they did a good job.
If I were to watch it again, I'd probably choose to watch it in English to avoid the timing problem. My only complaint is how they pronounce the Names, but that problem was in the German version as well.

C-A

Golf anyone?

Probably the best Ive heard is from Hellsing Ultimate. Which is a good thing, seeing as there are lots of long speeches in it. My favorate is the one at the end of Volume V.
Living on a prayer.

Last edited by Bloodfox05 on Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

.: Hyperactive ecstasy dreamer :.

.: Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, and that Disgaea anime has good dubbing.

A Seeker of Truth

Steins; Gate, Death Note, Monster, any works by Key, Persona 4: The Animation... maybe it's just my tastes, but there are a lot of works out there with great dubs :phoenix: Of course, as I normally watch only dubs anyways, I'm not REALLY in the position where I could comment on the superiority of those animes' dubs vs. there subs in the first place :phoenix:
"No one can change the past. The only thing we can do is strive to make up for our mistakes. Why must we make up for our mistakes, you ask? Because in so doing... we can find the way back to our path. And once we've found our path, we can move on from our past mistakes toward a brighter future."- Phoenix Wright

Quote:
Persona 4: The Animation...

My personal problem with that dub, aside from having Yuri Lowenthal, Laura Bailey and Troy Baker in it is the following...

Spoiler: Kinda "spoiler" for Persona 4
They got a voice that is so obviously a woman for Naoto. I mean, it's freaking obvious within the first minute that Naoto is a chick, but the English version didn't even seem to try.

At least in the Japanese version, Naoto was voiced by Romi Pak, who has a deep, husky and rather androgynous voice and was known for voicing young men, so the fact that Naoto is a girl is a little harder to figure out immediately. Now I think it's still freaking obvious, but at least it was made a little ambiguous.

C-A

Do you see the black one...or the white?

CatMuto wrote:
Quote:
Persona 4: The Animation...

My personal problem with that dub, aside from having Yuri Lowenthal, Laura Bailey and Troy Baker in it is the following...

Spoiler: Kinda "spoiler" for Persona 4
They got a voice that is so obviously a woman for Naoto. I mean, it's freaking obvious within the first minute that Naoto is a chick, but the English version didn't even seem to try.

At least in the Japanese version, Naoto was voiced by Romi Pak, who has a deep, husky and rather androgynous voice and was known for voicing young men, so the fact that Naoto is a girl is a little harder to figure out immediately. Now I think it's still freaking obvious, but at least it was made a little ambiguous.

C-A

I have to agree on this. I do think it was handled a "little" better in the game, though it was still completely obvious. I did hear though they had to get a different actress to handle Naoto in the Animation and the extra scenes in P4G due to the actress not being available. I believe the same thing happened with Troy Baker getting replaced by Matthew Mercer in the 2nd half of The Animation and the extra scenes in Golden, but I think he had just gotten married or something. I do think Mercer does an excellent job overall, but he does seem to lack a little bit of "oomph" that Troy Baker had when Kanji goes on his angry rants.
On April 3, 2016, Court Records Forums experienced a miracle upon that day.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Man...that looks dull...this actually makes me worried for KH3 (since that team worked on the battle system)

I feel the same

Quote:
I do think Mercer does an excellent job overall, but he does seem to lack a little bit of "oomph" that Troy Baker had when Kanji goes on his angry rants.

I think my problem with Troy Baker is that his voice is just way too deep for a 15 year old teenager. It just makes it sound really odd, seeing Kanji and then this supremely deep voice coming out of him. Tomokazu Seki voiced Kanji in the Japanese and while he did have a deeper voice, it wasn't too deep. And Seki's Shadow Kanji was freaking hilarious, giving him a really high, foppy voice - more than just the lisping that the English Shadow Kanji had.

As for the last few episodes of P4 Animation, I haven't watched them. Haven't found them subbed on YouTube yet...

C-A

Do you see the black one...or the white?

CatMuto wrote:
Quote:
I do think Mercer does an excellent job overall, but he does seem to lack a little bit of "oomph" that Troy Baker had when Kanji goes on his angry rants.

I think my problem with Troy Baker is that his voice is just way too deep for a 15 year old teenager. It just makes it sound really odd, seeing Kanji and then this supremely deep voice coming out of him. Tomokazu Seki voiced Kanji in the Japanese and while he did have a deeper voice, it wasn't too deep. And Seki's Shadow Kanji was freaking hilarious, giving him a really high, foppy voice - more than just the lisping that the English Shadow Kanji had.

As for the last few episodes of P4 Animation, I haven't watched them. Haven't found them subbed on YouTube yet...

C-A

I personally love it, but then again, I've had 15 year olds in my high school with voices that deep, so it's nothing new for me. In fact, his voice isn't even as deep as some of the guys I sang in choir with, so it fits in quite well to me.

As for Rise, I'll take Laura Bailey over her JP actress any day. I've watched the JP voiced version before and I've loved all the voices... except for Rise's. I'm fine when she's singing, but her speaking voice just grates on my ears too much. It has too much of that squeaky Japanese female anime voice that I just can't stand. I much rather enjoy Laura Bailey's performance, and I was a bit surprised to hear that she has a decent singing voice in P4G.
On April 3, 2016, Court Records Forums experienced a miracle upon that day.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Man...that looks dull...this actually makes me worried for KH3 (since that team worked on the battle system)

I feel the same

blazin all day

black lagoon is one of the only time ive liked the dub alot more than sub really wish theyd continue with the series

YuYu Hakusho is one of the best english dubs out there in my opinion. I also enjoyed Trigun was also good as well as of course DBZ.

wings of justice

I don't really watch anime any more, and when I did was a subtitle snob, but I do have to give credit where credit's due to a few good dubs that are worth mentioning:

Cowboy Bebop: Good voice acting crew, both in terms of voices and style. They really fit into the overall tone of the anime in a way the Japanese voice actors just couldn't quite make. I think it helps that the story in general was very western-oriented.

All of the Disney Miyazaki/Ghibli dubs: Say what you will about Disney, but they know voice acting. Spirited Away is the most memorable, I think, but all of the dubs they've done have been done incredibly well and are a pleasure to watch and listen to.

Honourable Mention for Nostalgia:
The original Sailor Moon DiC dub: They butchered this show like nobody's business and most of voices made no sense (what was up with Molly's NJ accent?! And Luna being an old British lady, wut?) but I can't help but enjoy the dub on some level for all of the memories I have of watching that show back in the 90s. They're burned in my memory a lot more than the Japanese seiyuu will ever be.
Page 2 of 2 [ 51 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Global Studios