Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Global Studios

Page 2 of 3[ 101 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Re: Detective Conan/Case ClosedTopic%20Title

Ash wrote:
It's been established that Magic Kaito and Detective Conan are indeed set in the same universe, and there's definitely magic in Magic Kaito. Heck, his classmate is a witch.

Then Aoyama can go bend himself, I do not want to see those stupid ConanxKaito Kid crossovers anymore. "Ooooh, lookie at this treasure... Kaito Kid will never get it! Oh no! Kaito Kid got it! ...quick, we must establish which one of us is Kid! Oh no, he got away!"
Kaito Kid is displayed as this EXTRAVAGANT AMAZING THIEF in Conan. Would be fun if he could actually be all, "Hi guys! I'm taking your shit. Bye~" without this rigghamarow around. A thief is supposed to take things stealthily, not announce things or get a giant audience to stroke his ego. (Unless he steals stuff to exorcise demons from it, but since he doesn't, he fails at the principal of being a thief)

C-A

迷探偵

It's explained in Magic Kaito; his father (the original KID) was murdered by an organisation (no details whether the same from Conan, they use different codenames though), and Kaito initially donned the hat and cape, and commited showy crimes to lure the organisation into a confrontation. Somewhere in volume... three, I think, Kaito discovers the organisation is looking for the Pandora Gem, a special stone that is said to grant immortality (which is why Kaito mostly goes for jewels, he too is now looking for the Pandora Gem. He returns the loot every time after checking whether it's the Gem or not). It is presumed he still goes out as KID to provoke the organisation.

And setting the revenge-plot aside, Kaito absolutely looooooves the attention he gets as KID.

Edit: It's not completely clear whether Aoyama's other series, Yaiba, is also part of the universe or not. There's that KID vs Yaiba crossover chapter and Hattori mentions having lost in a kendou fight against Okita, argubly the strongest character in Yaiba, but then agan.... magic swords from the gods, Miyamoto Musashi, frog-demons and bunny-aliens on the moon bent on conquering Earth.... well, yeah, it's bit more troublesome joining Yaiba with Conan than Magic Kaito with Conan.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

Last edited by Ash on Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

If he wants attention, he should remove his disguise stuff and openly walk around and steal as Kaito Kuroba.

C-A

Well, just saw the first episode of Conan since I bought the first season at an anime convention today. Really enjoyed it. Only 735 episodes and a crap ton of movies left to go. :basil:

With this talk of shared universes, I guess it's confirmed without a doubt that Lupin III is in the same continuity as Conan?

I think it was revealed that the Lupin III and Conan thing was just a dream and not actually happening for real. Or so. I dunno. I gave up on watching the movies when one of them was shown as a three-parter on the normal anime episode slot. (If I want to see the movie, I'll go to the cinema or buy the DVD... it didn't help that it was a Kaito Kid one...)

C-A

迷探偵

The Lupin X Conan crossover special and movie are probably set in a seperate universe (not dreams though)... The opening of the eleventh Conan movie (Jolly Roger in the Deep Azure) where two cops are robbers wearing Lupin III and Fujiko masks, and it seems like they (Lupin and Fujiko) were refered to as cartoon characters, rather than actual persons living in the same world.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

While it'll probably take me until the planets align on a Friday the 13th during a leap year on a blue moon for me to get up to speed with all the Conan episodes, I have been listening to the gorgeous soundtracks by Katsuo Ohno. I love jazz, and it's reminiscent somewhat of the music from Lupin III. However, Katsuo Ohno's style is pretty distinct from Yuji Ohno. I can tell the difference of who composed what, but they're both fantastic composers.

Anyways, my favorite tracks are the Detective Conan Main Theme and Ran's Theme.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dIM2d_ZWVk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szVHp9KcWpc

On another note, BY GOD WHEN WILL THIS SERIES EVER END!? Seriously, at least Lupin III keeps it reasonable by only releasing a television movie every year. The recent Fujiko series was only 13 episodes as well. For as long and formulatic as both franchises are, at least Lupin knows when to hold onto the reigns and not spiral out of control. :viola:

I'm sort of hesitant to truly "marry" myself to Conan because I know that Funimation only officially released the first five seasons and the first six films. Granted, that's still dozens of hours of content, yet it's only a small fraction of the whole series. From what I read, expectations were really high for this series to do well in North America and it even aired on cable television. Despite all these great chances Conan had, none of that translated into enough profit, so Funi's basically dropped it like a hot potato. What a shame. :payne:

Well, as interesting as some of the executions of the murders can be - although some I wonder how the hell the murderers came up with them - there's only so many times you can have Conan and about 5 other people (Ran and Kogoro/Sonoko + 3 Suspects... it's always 3 suspects) go, "This is a locked room murder!" and actually be surprised by it.

I mean... after about SEVEN HUNDRED CHAPTERS of majority of them seeming like impossible or locked room murder cases, you'd think they'd kinda stop being shocked. Be more like, "Oh no... a locked room murder..." And the motives all end up the same partway through the series. "That asshole caused this friend's suicide/actually murdered them/said something insensitive about them! I had to kill them!"

C-A

Don't call me Shirley

CatMuto wrote:
Well, as interesting as some of the executions of the murders can be - although some I wonder how the hell the murderers came up with them - there's only so many times you can have Conan and about 5 other people (Ran and Kogoro/Sonoko + 3 Suspects... it's always 3 suspects) go, "This is a locked room murder!" and actually be surprised by it.

I mean... after about SEVEN HUNDRED CHAPTERS of majority of them seeming like impossible or locked room murder cases, you'd think they'd kinda stop being shocked. Be more like, "Oh no... a locked room murder..." And the motives all end up the same partway through the series. "That asshole caused this friend's suicide/actually murdered them/said something insensitive about them! I had to kill them!"

C-A

Well, there are some fresh motives here and there in the series. Not many, but it's still better than the Kindaichi case files.

The tricks are what makes the series worthwile IMO, even in the more recent cases where things tend to become awfully formulaic, you can definitely tell that Aoyama puts a lot of thought in them. Especially since the show has started to improve recently, after a big dive in quality that started around episode 400 and hit its peak between the 600-700 mark : "everyone saw", "KK and the blush mermaid", "the treasure chest filled with fruits" and "the ex boyfriend living next to the crime scene" all tried various small things to bend a little the usual structure and had clever tricks. (Well the one in everyone saw wasn't believable for a single second, but Aoyama definitely tried). I mean it's still a far cry from the series golden age, but at least we can reasonably hope that the age of terrible plots like "froth, steam and smoke", "Yusaku Kudo's cold case" or "deduction showdown at the haunted hotel" is behind us (though "sweet and cold delivery service" was downright dumb).

I dunno, I stopped watched the show. I only read the manga now. I overall have nothing against the cases, although they all seem to be... a group of 4 or 5 people. One of them is a total asshole, so you know he's gonna die. 3 suspects. And some overly complicated way of killing someone.

Like that guy who made his cousin lose all sense of time, make it think it was the next day, when it was a bit earlier. The one with the calico cat was overall sweet, since it had cats, but still boring. Or the recent one, with the tea party. But yes, "Yusaku's Cold Case" was kinda... dumb. I mean, if that person died by puking blood, why are there holes in the blood? I mean, yes, there was money placed on it. But if that was put there after he puked blood, wouldn't that mean the Shi shape would not be there?

Then again, I want Aoyama to finish this damn series. I don't CARE that Shinichi and Ran, after about SEVENHUNDRED AND FIFTY CHAPTERS, finally got a step closer to admitting they like each other, because by god, I hate childhood friends who become lovers. I don't CARE about Amuro or Bourbon or whether Akai Shuuichi IS still alive or what not. Just END the damn series already.

C-A

DetectiveTohru

Actually I finished reading the Red Woman case recently and it was surprisingly good.

Don't call me Shirley

Yeah, I noticed that the red woman murder case was the first whodunnit since like forever to span more than three files. I'll keep an eye on the anime adaptation !

EDIT : mmmh it looks like there's on average one anime case per month taken from the manga, so we should see the red woman case in october. My, that's a long wait.

I really like the Moonlight Sonata and Vampire Villa cases.

Don't call me Shirley

Smithee wrote:
I really like the (...) Vampire Villa cases.

The old one, or the recent one ?

I hate how, after giving us some actual PLOT ADVANCE, Aoyama goes back to a freaking side case about Yumi's potential love interest guy. I don't CARE about a minor character's romance! Finish the damn plot already!

C-A

Don't call me Shirley

CatMuto wrote:
I hate how, after giving us some actual PLOT ADVANCE, Aoyama goes back to a freaking side case about Yumi's potential love interest guy. I don't CARE about a minor character's romance! Finish the damn plot already!

C-A

It just hit me that if Aoyama wanted to clean up all sub character plots left hanging, even if he started now and focused merely on them and abandoned the one shot cases, it would take like what, 5-6 complete volumes ? With the current ratio of one volume out of seven focused on the plot, I'd say Aoyama wants some more money before he quits.

DetectiveTohru

This weeks episode was animated really damn well for Conan, probably even most consistently in the entire series so far, with new opening too (meh OP with some decent parts in my opinion but been ages since the last one changed, so...)

Check it out...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_UE9_-wh64

Hatshinit wrote:
This weeks episode was animated really damn well for Conan, probably even most consistently in the entire series so far, with new opening too (meh OP with some decent parts in my opinion but been ages since the last one changed, so...)

Check it out...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_UE9_-wh64

They might've used Opening 37 for some time to give promotion to Valshe.

C-A

DetectiveTohru

The latest volume (83) gets two thumbs up, that was great. I feel like I liked the Hattori case more than I should have, probably because the Private Eye in the Distant Sea was so damn good. It also made me laugh a bit.

Which case is that?

C-A

DetectiveTohru

CatMuto wrote:
Which case is that?

C-A
Drug Trading Case (Ebisu Bridge), and btw, in the Lupin vs Conan Movie, Takagi says that Lupin was Sato's first love, lol. I wonder how that affects this talk about the verses.

Hatshinit wrote:
CatMuto wrote:
Which case is that?

C-A
Drug Trading Case (Ebisu Bridge), and btw, in the Lupin vs Conan Movie, Takagi says that Lupin was Sato's first love, lol. I wonder how that affects this talk about the verses.

Isn't that Lupin VS Conan one a dream sequence? Or it was officially said it does not take place in the actual universe.

Oh that case. Yeah... I kinda hated it cause Hattori had the stupid Jealousy part. Urgh, wish Aoyama would keep the dumb jealousy-childhood-friend-romance stuff out of the cases. They're annoying.

C-A

DetectiveTohru

CatMuto wrote:
Hatshinit wrote:
CatMuto wrote:
Which case is that?

C-A

Isn't that Lupin VS Conan one a dream sequence? Or it was officially said it does not take place in the actual universe.

Oh that case. Yeah... I kinda hated it cause Hattori had the stupid Jealousy part. Urgh, wish Aoyama would keep the dumb jealousy-childhood-friend-romance stuff out of the cases. They're annoying.

C-A

Well the way the case was done was kind of interesting though I guess, but it would have been atrociously slow had it been a longer case like most of the Hattori cases seem to be.

Nah it wasn't a dream, I don't think there's been any official statement about it but the Special is directly connected with the Movie, and the characters even do things like I think Kogoro got a permission to do something because he "solved" the things relating to the royal family in the Special.

迷探偵

It's been (movie-)canon for ages that Satou's first love is Lupin III: it was already mentioned in Jolly Roger in the Deep Azure (Satou and Takagi chase two robbers with Lupin & Fujiko masks at the start of the movie).

As for canon-status, the Lupin VS Conan special & movie are connected and also not dreams, but it is unclear whether they are really part of the movie-universe (no decisive points for or against). So it's either [manga-universe], [movie-universe]+[Lupin VS Conan]branch, or the latter two form one universe.

I quite liked the code cracking story in 83; it was actually very solvable for a change. Also, 83 is quite old by now, volume 84 will be released in less than two weeks! [/preorder ready]

About the opening/endings of Conan; I hardly watch the anime, so I am not always up-to-date with the OP/EDs, but I can't help but feel that studio Being might have had some trouble the last few years. For the last few years, Conan has been missing good 'regular' OP/ED providers, save for Breakers and B'z once in like five years. They used to have regular singers like Kuraki Mai, Aiuchi Rina and Garnet Crow that really helped shape the 'musical' image of Conan, but it seems like lately Conan has been mostly featuring musicians that kinda disappear as fast as they appear...

But then again, I'm just a Garnet Crow fanboy.

DetectiveTohru

The code was decent, but the most surprising thing about the case was that Gosho actually made the fact that the DB think Heiji is Conans detective master, a recurring plot point. It was kind of hilarious and I personally didn't even remember it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiuBBH8JsCM

OBJECTION.I object that is objectionable

I use to watch it and I have 5 season and first 2 movies on region 1 dvd which I still go back to from time to time, In the anime I just finished the arc that reveals who Burbon is and not gone futher than that but don;t have the motivation. Also I notcied when the series frist started you would get the clues that conan got so you could try link it together. Now they have just given it up and don't do fair play ( when the detective see's the evidence but it is kept from the audiance until the reveal)
When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth- Sherlock Holmes

Don't call me Shirley

davech1987 wrote:
I use to watch it and I have 5 season and first 2 movies on region 1 dvd which I still go back to from time to time, In the anime I just finished the arc that reveals who Burbon is and not gone futher than that but don;t have the motivation. Also I notcied when the series frist started you would get the clues that conan got so you could try link it together. Now they have just given it up and don't do fair play ( when the detective see's the evidence but it is kept from the audiance until the reveal)

You might be right, come to think of it. Though technically, they just hide the evidence that's so obvious that it would reveal the culprit's identity instantly : we still get to see enough evidence aside from that to piece everything together.

Shtak wrote:
davech1987 wrote:

You might be right, come to think of it. Though technically, they just hide the evidence that's so obvious that it would reveal the culprit's identity instantly : we still get to see enough evidence aside from that to piece everything together.

Some of the cases are incredibly difficult to figure out... if you don't have the original Japanese version. Lots of hints end up having a certain meaning or flat out revealing something in Japanese, where as the translated languages... don't have that. Favorite example is the Mahjong case of ESNW (or... whatever it was) where the husbands said weird things like, in the translation it said, "I'm going to the doctor" or similar. Makes NO sense at all in English. Turns out, it's mahjong talk that DOES make sense in Japanese.

C-A

Don't call me Shirley

CatMuto wrote:
Shtak wrote:
davech1987 wrote:

Some of the cases are incredibly difficult to figure out... if you don't have the original Japanese version. Lots of hints end up having a certain meaning or flat out revealing something in Japanese, where as the translated languages... don't have that. Favorite example is the Mahjong case of ESNW (or... whatever it was) where the husbands said weird things like, in the translation it said, "I'm going to the doctor" or similar. Makes NO sense at all in English. Turns out, it's mahjong talk that DOES make sense in Japanese.

C-A

Yeah, I've always hated the code cracking cases for that very reason. There were a ton of them around the episodes 300-500 mark, but thankfully Aoyama has more or less stopped doing them.

I overall wish he'd end the series already. I dunno, maybe he's trying to make this his life work and use all his theories on how to kill people for the manga so they're out of his head, but end it already. I especially hate it when we have something that advances the story... and then, like now, we get a dumb sidestory that focuses on the romance of a minor character who I'm sure will not have a big role when it comes to the final showdown against the black organization.

I kinda wonder if the manga will end with the BO ended, but there's no cure for APTX and Conan reveals himself to Ran and/or has to age properly again, staying Conan for the rest of his life. (Haibara, too, although she seems somewhat happy about a potential second chance)

C-A

What if Aoyama croaks it before he finishs where would that leave us :(:(
When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth- Sherlock Holmes

davech1987 wrote:

FANFICTION! :redd:

C-A

CatMuto wrote:
davech1987 wrote:

FANFICTION! :redd:

C-A

Easier option :hobohodo:

DetectiveTohru

Apparently the fansub site is down so now people who read it on the net can pretend that the case ended the entire series or something. I'll just keep to the volumes myself since they don't require weekly waiting.

I remember when they took down the anime subs.

Don't call me Shirley

Hatshinit wrote:

Eh, they can do that ? I thought no one held any rights for the series in NA past the 200something episode ? Oh well, it's not like it had much impact in the end, anyway

1000% Knight

Shtak wrote:
Hatshinit wrote:

Eh, they can do that ? I thought no one held any rights for the series in NA past the 200something episode ? Oh well, it's not like it had much impact in the end, anyway

Even if they aren't making official subs/dubs, someone can still purchase the rights to the show in America, and if they do, they can take down the fansubs.
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

迷探偵

Bad Player wrote:
Shtak wrote:
Hatshinit wrote:

Even if they aren't making official subs/dubs, someone can still purchase the rights to the show in America, and if they do, they can take down the fansubs.

Actually, it's always protected under copyright (as long as you're in one of those countries that actually acknowledges them); the worldwide (i.e. copryight-protected world) rights of the original work and derivative works like subtitles all belong to the original creator (in the case of the Conan anime, TMS/Shogakukan) and even if the series wasn't sublicensed to Viz/FUNImation in the States (or other countries), TMS/Shogakukan still would have all the right to take down the subs/scanlations, as it's their property. But it takes a lot of trouble starting lawsuits all over the world, so these cease & desist orders are usually started by the local sublicensees to protect their investments, for obvious reasons.

And in the case of Viz, Shogakukan is part owner of Viz, so basically they own all of Conan. Always. Including all that hasn't been published it.

So there is no way to watch new episode of Dc online anymore ? I just started to rewatch the old episode i have on dvd lol Still fun to watch the old ones. I also think the older ones have better music to the chime that plays when it all clicks in conan's head to the music that plays when you find out the motive from the killer etc , There is alot of I killed that p[erson due to a crime they commited 5 years earlier used alot though and I notcied if the case has a president of a company living to victim it is normally the secectary of said president who joined there team under a different name

1000% Knight

davech1987 wrote:
So there is no way to watch new episode of Dc online anymore ?

Even if there is, watching it would be a method, and I'm suuuuure there are no CRers who would (publicly) show how to do an illegal activity like that.
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Bad Player wrote:
davech1987 wrote:
So there is no way to watch new episode of Dc online anymore ?

Even if there is, watching it would be a method, and I'm suuuuure there are no CRers who would (publicly) show how to do an illegal activity like that.

Eh... my ideas are always, "If I don't know something, google it for about 10 pages"

C-A
Page 2 of 3 [ 101 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Global Studios