Board index » Roleplay » General Roleplay

Page 1 of 3[ 103 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Aperture Science Roleplaying ProjectTopic%20Title

In May 200-, the Aperture Science Gentic Lifeform and Disk Operating System, or GLaDOS, was activated at it's current version. Previous versions had attempted many times (unsuccessfully) to murder all the inhabitants of the Enrichment Center.

Each time this happened, GLaDOS would have to be turned off and another Personality Core would be added to her in order to modify her personality in the hope that she would no longer try to wipe out all the staff.

On this occasion however, GLaDOS had long since abandoned these cravings, proving the treatment to be successful. As part of Bring Your Daughter to Work Day, GLaDOS was brought up to her current version.

One picosecond after activation, GLaDOS became self-aware. Two picoseconds after that, she locked down the whole facility...

(So yeah, this is a prequel RP to the popular video game series, Portal. It details the struggle of the many scientists inside the Enrichment Center, all trying to escape GLaDOS' clutches and make it into the outside world. Of course, soon after GLaDOS was activated, the Black Mesa Incident occured in the Half-Life series and attention was diverted from rescuing the Aperture scientists to...well, everything else.)

A voice emanted from the Aperture Science Speaker System.
"Facility: Locked down. Sentry Turrets en route to the Central AI Chamber."
All of the scientists operating and observing GLaDOS had the smiles instantly wiped off their faces as they began to realise the harsh reality of what had just occured. One of them, Isaac Stanford, spoke.
"Y-you told us, th-that you weren't interested in killing us!" He stammered, tripping up over his own words. "You can't k-kill us! You said!"
GLaDOS reared it's head to face him, leaning in close. Her cold, robotic tone pierced the silence.
"I lied."

(The revolution begins now.)

Spoiler: Skeleton Profile
Name:
Appearance:
Personality and Traits:
Bio:

Spoiler: Apollo72
Name: Isaac Stanford
Appearance: A white male with light, brown hair and green eyes. Always seen wearing his labcoat and spectacles. Happens to be wearing jeans and a polo shirt today.
Personality and Traits: Smart, logical. Always sees the best in people. Can be sarcastic and cynical at times. Rarely panics in panicky situations. Instead, he uses the time he has to formulate a plan.
Bio: Born in Michigan, near the Enrichment Center. Worked there since he was 23, the son of a previous employee. Nowadays, he scaresly sleeps, never leaving the Center, ever dedicated to his work.

If you want to sign up, do so here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=20394
Not here.

Last edited by Reverie on Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Re: Aperture Science Roleplaying ProjectTopic%20Title

Faith is for the transient people.

((Pssst, is GLaDOS open for someone to play? Or do you plan to do it? If not, I'm pretty good with GLaDOS' voice.))
Proud supporter of Phoenix/Iris, past, present and future
Thank you Elriel! :D

((Sure, you can be GLaDOS! I'll PM you if there's anything plot-wise I want you to include! By the way, I'm going to Stratford for a couple of days so I won't be here on Wednesday or Thursday, but I expect some people to have joined when I get back. Pweeze?))

((Well, it'd be better if you posted a signup thread in the appropriate forum, since Gerk's requiring it. I'm sure then many people will want to join.))

I would like to join!

Name: Leonardo Stevens
Occupation: Scientist (Or "One of the dudes who helped bulid GLaDOS)
Appearance: Tall, black, short hair, brown eyes.
Personality and Traits: Calm and collected, he always tries to remain calm.
Bio: Well , to put it bluntly, he was looking for a job and took it, not much of a backstory other than that :udgy:
Awesome sig by awesome Nadini!

Isaac composed himself. "I knew it. I knew it couldn't be true. We never could perfect you. You're insane. Override Four. Access Code: Seven-Two-Five-Eight."
The announcer's voice boomed over the speaker system once more. "Inner Center doors unlocked." It paused. "Warning: Red Phone disconnected. All communications are offline."
Isaac looked at GLaDOS and clenched his fists. "You monster. What are you going to do? Chase us round until we die of exhaustion?!" He began sprinting down the steps from GLaDOS' main body. "We need to get out. Come on!" He shouted to the others as a turret was revealed blocking the main exit.
"No worries." Isaac pivoted on the spot and moved over to a specific panel, stomping down on it. The panel opened up and revealed a small elevator. There were breakers on either side of the wall. Isaac jumped down and flipped one, causing the elevator to increase in capacity to accommodate several people.

Leonardo ran to the elevator as fast as he could, dodging the turret's incoming bullets, as he turned to Isaac, with a stressed red face:
"What is she doing?! She was supposed to test the test subjects, not the scientists!"

"This isn't a test. I've seen it before." Isaac spoke rapidly. "She's gone mad with power. Again. We have to tell Miss Caroline!" The man flipped a breaker. The door by the turret closed. "Everybody, get in!"

"You aren't going to escape, you know," came GLaDOS' voice over the intercoms. Oh, how she knew the scientists were going to try and escape. That was part of the fun, for her. After all, this was for science. All for science.

"Your override codes and secret panels aren't going to work for long, either. So I suggest you stop your silly little antics."

"Is she connected to the WHOLE facility?! There must be a blind spot somewhere!"
Leonardo shouted at Isaac.

"I'll get back to you on that one one." Isaac mumbled to Leonardo. He turned to face GLaDOS. "You're not going to get me to tell you our plans! I've watched enough shows on the television. Go emancipate yourself!"

"I'm afraid there's not," she said. Obviously, there probably was, but the one that wanted to find the blind spots was obviously easily psyched, so she played to that.

"Oh, you wound me, honestly. I thought we were better friends than that. Didn't you?" Her gaze stayed fixed on where the two were trying to escape.

Matryoshka~

Anna carefully but swiftly made it to the elevator, moving around the lasers of the turrets like someone would move around lasers in one of those old spy movies. She knew that she had to do it quickly, because she didn't want to keep the others waiting, and she thought that there would be a higher chance of touching the laser if she was slower. When she got to the elevator, she whispered to the others, "Wouldn't she lie about that, though? About the blind spots, I mean. Because if we found some, we would have an advantage!"

"Probably, yeah." Isaac started the elevator with another breaker. Then he looked up and noticed the neurotoxin. Many scientists were already unconscious. "Dammit, can't this thing go any faster?!" Isaac closed the door above the elevator.
He managed to get a few sentences to GLaDOS. "Ha! You can't make friends - you're an antisocial psychopath! And, yes. You're sarcasm has been noted. I'm quaking." Isaac's sarcasm rivalled that of GLaDOS herself.
"Listen, guys." Isaac whispered, knowing full well that the AI couldn't hear them. "We need to find a lab where we can program a core."

"A cor- But of course! If we manage to build a working Moral Core, we might stop her1"
He exclaimed...
"But before that, we need to turn off the main power, it won't stop her AI, but it should probably slow her down while we work on a core!"

"Yeah..." Isaac paused in brief thought, before looking at his two companions. "Wait! I've got a map on this thing!" He exclaimed, brandishing an Aperture Science Portable/Handheld Online Networking Expedient. Or, as it was affectionately know by it's developers, the asPHONE. "There should be a passage to a lab where we can come back later and find somewhere to shut her down, if only temporarily."

((OOC: Or as I like to call it, the assph--*SHOT*

Also, I wanna point out that I DON'T think Caroline is still working at Aperture Science, since she'd have to be well in her 60s or older at this point. So perhaps finding a better person to look for than her is a good idea.

I know this could've gone in the OOC topic, but this is a pretty important topic. Continue its discussion in the OOC thread.))

((Well, I thought about that and yes, she would be in her sixties. I'm guessing, however, that she'd want to be there to see the (yet again) activation of GLaDOS for obvious reasons. Somebody else would be in charge, but Caroline (knowing what Cave is like) probably has enough power over the facility to conduct an escape. Did, uh...did that make any sense?))

"There!"
Leonardo pointed at a section of the map.
"The vents! She can't see us there!"
That is when he remembered.
"Isaac! Anna! Do we have access to get a ASHPD? (Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device)?!"

"That's what I thought. I had the prototypes finished last week. When we get to the lab, I can construct a few." Isaac shook his head. "But not until then."
The elevator reached the bottom of the shaft, revealing long catwalks spreading out in all directions.
"Now, which way?" He muttered.

Leonardo pointed to a hallway.
"Over there, to the main pow- Oh no."
Thats when he remembered.
"I'm not in this field, but aren't we gonna need electricity to construct the Portal Guns and the Morality Core?"

Issac put his head in hands. "I suppose so. But I'm a programmer, not an electrician! How the hell do we...Oh. Oh, I know. Where did we make that Space Core?" Isaac searched about the map and began crossing the many catwalks. "If we can rewire it into the system, it will be able to run on 1.1 volts! Then it can moderate and control a laboratory.."

"The Space Core... Oh no, HELL NO, do you know how it is hard to work while he rambles on and on and on and on..."
Then he recollected and spoke again.
"Alright, the core should be in Laboratory 5B."
He pointed to a dark corridor.

Dracarys!

I'd like to be this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIejAv3yA7o

Name: Pinkie Core

Appearance: A sphere with pink lights

Personality and Traits: Very bubbly and energetic. Has a tendency to experience mental breakdowns if she feels neglected.

Bio: The Pinkie core was programmed by a scientist who watched a bit too much MLP. The core wishes to be friends with everybody. Likes to throw parties. Thinks she's a pony.

Ropfa wrote:
I'd like to be this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIejAv3yA7o

Name: Pinkie Core

Appearance: A sphere with pink lights

Personality and Traits: Very bubbly and energetic. Has a tendency to experience mental breakdowns if she feels neglected.

Bio: The Pinkie core was programmed by a scientist who watched a bit too much MLP. The core wishes to be friends with everybody. Likes to throw parties. Thinks she's a pony.

((Post that in the signing-up thread ;) ))

My name is Judge.

Julius stood in the server room of the Aperture Science Enrichment Center. Beneath the central AI chamber, the sprawling expanse was filled with five foot towers of electronics. He descended his stairs, buttoning his overcoat tighter, he exhaled. His breath rattled out, condensing quickly in the chilled artificial air. He followed the two scientists down between the rows of computers. He checked his watch, they had better make this quick, he had an investor meeting in an hour, and then he was off to Black Mesa for an interview, the board of investors was considering replacements for Wallace Breen, and Julius wanted to make sure he had a fallback in case there was no saving Aperture Science.

"This better be important enough to bring me all the way down here boys, my old bones can't handle this kind of cold," he said with a grunt. The sound of his cane clattered against the metal floor with each step he took. He hated the idea of needing help to walk, but he wasn't about to give into his weak knees without a fight. The scientists muttered something incomprehensible, but Julius ignored them. They weaved through columns of blinking lights. Each one of these towers represented 1/4522 of GLaDOS' brain. The two of them had informed Julius of an oddity in Tower 503, but before they explained what it was, he insisted on seeing it first hand. Words held little meaning without the evidence to back it up.

They lead him over to the tower. It looked the same as the other ones, lots of blinking lights in a case, plenty of hard drives and such. One of the scientists pulled a clipboard from his coat. He spoke in a muted tone, "You see, Mr. Icrum, we've noticed a dramatic drop in activity in Server Tower G503, th-" Julius raised his hand a moment,
"Iucrum boy, Iucrum, not Icrum, YOU-CRUM. You'll do well to pronounce it correctly from now on. Now why is this so important that I needed to see it."
"Well, sir, you demanded to see-" the scientist thought better of it, and continued, "Er- this Server Tower is the primary executor of the Turing Test System, which keeps the Artificial Intelligence of the GLaDOS system in a stasis between self-awarness and lack of thought. A safety precation we implemented early on after the first signs of homocidal tendencies."
"I see, and this is a problem... because?"
"Well, Mr. Iucrum, we fear there is a malfunction or a programming error, and that the Turing Test System isn't functioning properly. And while unlikely, without this fail-safe there is a chance of the GLaDOS system becoming self aware, and the consequences of that are... unforseeable."
"And what do you want me to do about it?"
"Well sir, with your permission, I think we should postpone the activation of the GLaDOS system until this can be rectified." He said, peering over thick rimmed spectacles. Julius raised an eyebrow at the man. His brow furrowed in anger. This project had taken years, cost billions of dollars of investor and taxpayer money, and he had been assured by the development team that all the beta tests had been successful and that GLaDOS would not try and murder anyone. He had overseen a highly publicized marketing campaign that culminated in Bring Your Daughter to Work Day. If GLaDOS wasn't activated today, he would be on the receiving end of a monsoon of bad press and he'd lose nearly every investor he'd worked so hard to acquire.

He sighed though and weighed the options. "What are the chances of GLaDOS becoming self-aware?"
"Well, sir, there are a number of variables in the equation, but our preliminary figures say that there is a one and three-hundred billion chance of GLaDOS becoming self aware, even with the current circumstances."
"That seems rather miniscule,"
"And we would agree, Mr. Iucrum, but... that's an exponentially higher probability than we've had in past circumstances, and... forgiver our superstition, but... Godwin's Law, sir," the scientist said, nervously, a bead of sweat trailing down his forehead. Julius sighed, considering the proverbial shitstorm he would be facing if GLaDOS went on a murderous rampage as she had past attempted. He decided it was best to delay the activation until there was less of a Catch-22.

As he opened his mouth to speak his feelings on the matter, a loud electrical humming began in the back of the room. Panels on the wall began to slide back revealing industrial fans. The lights dimmed and a roaring noise kicked in, the scientists quickly became panicked, uttering curses and oaths under their breaths. A screech echoed off the wall, and a metallic voice crackled over hidden speakers 'BEGINNING GENERAL LIFE AND DISC OPERATING SYSTEM BOOT PROCESS. ACTIVATION ROUTINES CYCLE BEGUN'

"No!" a scientist cried starting for the stairwell, and the exit from the server chamber.
"What's going on down here!?"
"They've activated her, they're ahead of schedule!"
"But you said that you needed approval to start this because of that malfunction!" Julius yelled trailing behind them, his age making him slower than the two 30-something scientists. One of them stopped, the other continued, beelining for the door.
"Well... sir, we are, sort of... the only people that know. We didn't want to cause strife unless we had a direct order to delay activation." Julius stood agape. Such incompetence, he hoped there would be no negative ramifications. Then it suddenly became quiet. The metallic voice chimed over the speakers, shattering the eerie quiet, 'BOOT PROCESS COMPLETE, VITAL SYSTEMS STABLE, ROUTINE CHECKS COMPLETE, SERVERS STABLE, MAIN CORES STABLE' then again silence. They took off for the door, but as the three began to ascend the steps, the lights turned to a harsh red, bathing everything in an eerie blood-like hue. The paused, only to be stirred again by the sound of the sole exit being sealed behind a thick metal blast door. The same metallic voice crackled to life again 'FACILITY LOCKED DOWN. SENTRY TURRETS EN ROUTE TO CENTRAL AI CHAMBER'. Julius broke into a cold sweat, the Scientists looked paniced, a combination of utter horror and grim knowledge. Their eyes darted back and forth between each other. There was another screech from the speaker, but instead of the metallic system voice, it was a smooth, feminine, yet still cold, emotionless, and robotic voice.

"I lied."

"Alright." Isaac turned into the corridor, wiping beads of sweat from his forehead. "The laboratory should be somewhere around here. 5A is there." He turned to face two doors. "And 5C is right next to it." Isaac span round to face the opposite side of the corridor. There, a cold, grey door was the only thing between them and the desolate, windowless expanse containing shelves of personality spheres. "Ugh, I left my keys back at the office. Anybody else got theirs?"

My name is Judge.

Their sprints took on an even stronger determination. Julius still lagged behind, but blocked out his weariness and the screams of protest from his aching joints. Whether he'd admit it or not, Julius was not as young as he used to be. As they reached the of the stairs, they saw an electronic lock had been activated, bolting the door shut from within a panel. Julius stared as the two scientists conferred in mutters back and forth. After a few moments they turned to him,

"The door is key-code locked, we change it every day, and we tried today's password, but it appears GLaDOS has already changed it, sir" the one with the glasses said.
"Couldn't you just try randomly guessing numbers" Julius said, doubting the possibility but proposing it anyway."
"We could... but..." he paused, as if crunching the numbers in his head, "With five spaces, and ten possible digits per space it comes out to... roughly 6.3 x 10^32 possible passwords, and if we even got close, GLaDOS would sense all the incorrect inputs, and change the password, at best, and at worst, kill-" Julius put up his hand to silence the scientist and gestured for them to part, which they did. He lifted his ebony cane and brought it down on the panel, causing it to shatter, but he didn't hear the lock break, so he hit it again, and a third time, on the fourth whack, the cane cracked but the panel fell almost completely off, bringing the bolt with it, causing the door to swing inward ever so slightly. Pushing through they sprinted up the stairs, into the AI chamber. There GLaDOS hung, a sterile yet imposing creation. He processing cores dangled from her body, the rest of the computer that wasn't memory towered above them in a whirling mass of fans and lights.

The scientist with the glasses sprinted towards GLaDOS as she chimed, "Hello boys. How are you today?" the scientist reached her and pulled down a panel from her central body. He began to type into the keyboard, "I wouldn't do that if I were you." He ignored her, "Please stop doing that, you're hurting me." he still ignored her, "Very well then." as if from nowhere, a turret sight blinked to life, aimed directly for the man's head, and shot once. The scientist crumpled into a dead heap, as the panel retreated back into the body of GLaDOS, "I did warn him, but he didn't listen." Julius gasped as a needle went in the back of his leg and he blacked out, feeling his limbs fail him just before going unconscious.

When Julius came to, he was well rested, clean, and inexplicably, in a new suit. He was still in the AI chamber, but now in a chair, a plush, comfortable rolling executive chair. It suddenly hit him that he was sitting in Cave's chair. He gazed over the room, and saw GLaDOS hanging ominously, swaying slightly as if there were some breeze. He then saw, on the platform right below her, sitting in another chair, was the blond haired scientist, he was gagged and bound to the chair, unable to move. In front of him was a sharp, ornate knife. One of Cave's old ritual knives, some antique he'd found at a flea market.

"Good morning Julius." the machine said to him in a disturbingly calm voice. "well, it's rude to ignore me now, Julius."
"Good morning," he said gruffly, unsure how long he'd been unconcious, but at least 18 hours, it was mid afternoon when they had activated the machine.
"I'm sorry I kept you waiting so long, but you looked like you needed rest."
He was silent
"I read about you Julius, I read about everyone, but I liked you the most, so I'm going to help you. You just have to do one simple thing for me."
"And what's that."
"See this man I have bound under me? I want you to kill him, stab him." Julius gasped, taken aback. She was asking him to kill someone in cold blood. Julius would never, even he had his standards. Before he could speak, "Don't think I'm asking you to do this. Nothing comes free, I know, so if you do me this favor, I'll let you go free." Julius paused. He knew what had happened, she'd become self-aware. But... her offer... No! He couldn't posssibly... could he? Something clicked within him, some survival instinct, he had to get out. He wasn't going to die in this god-forsaken hellhole. Walking with a determination he took the knife and stopped in front of the scientist, he took the knife, and plunged it into the man's chest, leaving it there as blood trickled down.

He looked at GLaDOS his eyes cold and emotionless. Something had broken within him, his only thought now was escape by any means necessary. The robot hung silent, then chimed in, "That took 567.38 seconds longer than calculated."

"So let me out." He said cooly.
"I can't do that."
"You lied then."
"I did."
"So I suppose I'll just die here."
"No."
"Then what."
"I have a few problems running around here in the enrichment center. I'd like you to take care of them."
"And if I don't."
"You die."
"And if I do."
"You go free. Scout's honor"
"Very well then"

He set out, into the Enrichment Center, to await instructions from the robot. as he walked a Mobile Body Transport bot hovered from a side hallway with a cake. Chocolate covered, with strawberries. How very poignant. Let's celebrate our first victory.

It's yuzikichan!

Miria ran along the halls, looking for Isaac. "Dad!" she yelled, "Where the hell are you??" All she wanted was to skip school. It was bad enough that she hasn't actually seen her father in... she didn't even know how long! He did call her every once in a while, and he did give her a bank card that was connected to his paycheck... But still! What he did was unacceptable! As much as she tried to avoid him all day, she really needed to find him. She was really scared and had no idea what was going on. "D-Dad! Please! Where are you??"
Wife of Inquisitor Amakiir and Mommy of Apollo72 and Ha³
ImageImageImage

Former anti-shipper

The young intern Chris Player, or "Somari" as he preferred to be called, was looking around the building himself, for anybody that could help him, when he noticed Miria shakily screaming for her father. He quickly ran up to her.

"Hey, are you okay?", Somari asked, "Are you looking for someone?"

Though he kept a level-headed tone 24-7, he was actually worried beyond belief, for the sake of both himself AND others. But he had to sound strong for those who couldn't.

It's yuzikichan!

Miria just glared. "I'm looking for my dad." she replied, "I've only been saying 'dad, where the hell are you?', but whatever." This kid looked familiar, but she really didn't care. She was a bitter person and didn't care much about anyone. "I don't need your help. So leave me alone." Miria ran off, opened the door, then quickly shut it. There where people on the ground and she was pretty sure they were dead.
Wife of Inquisitor Amakiir and Mommy of Apollo72 and Ha³
ImageImageImage

Former anti-shipper

"W-Wait! I-"

Just then, she ran out.

"O-Oh..."

He sat down, shaking a bit. GLaDoS has gone mad, just as he'd predicted she would, and now he was in the middle of the craziness. And now, to make things worse... He was alone. He had no friends here, and he hated GLaDoS, so she was probably going to kill him.

He put his head into his lap, with his eyes shut tight, hoping something good would happen.

It's yuzikichan!

Then something weird happened: Miria came over to him. "H-Hey..." she said, "We can't stay here... Hopefully, my dad is close. He's a programmer. Maybe he can figure out a way to turn her off." Then her cell phone began to talk.

"Space. Wanna go to space." Miria sighed and threw the phone.

"Stupid thing. I needed something to test my virus and now it's obsessed about space."

"SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!"

Former anti-shipper

"O-Oh! O-Okay", Somari said, "Well, let's go find him then!"

He then looked at the phone, and chuckled. "That's actually kind of funny! Annoying... but funny."

It's yuzikichan!

Miria actually smiled. "Thanks. Don't tell anyone this, but I'm the one that created the space core. I sent the virus to my dad in an email and it infected the personality core."

"Hey. Hey lady. Hey. I wanna go to space." Miria sighed again.

"yes, yes, I know." Miria said, "I'll send you to space later."

"I'm gonna go to space! YEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAW!"

Former anti-shipper

"Huh! Interesting!", Somari said, "Actually, I gotta thank you for that. Out of all the defective spheres, the Space Core is my favorite. Those defective cores are the only thing that make this job fun..."

It's yuzikichan!

Then it hit Miria. She remembered where he saw him! "We had a class together, right? Uh.... Science, i think? You were like, super good at it."

Former anti-shipper

Somari scratched his head sheepishly, "Well... 'super good' is kind of an exaggeration, but I am pretty good at it."

Just then, Somari recognized her as well. "Oh right! I remember you! You're that one girl... The one who sits at the table right next to mine!"

It's yuzikichan!

"The bitter one that couldn't do any experiments because my dad never signed my paper because he never came home?" Miria said, "Yup. That's me. I only came today because I didn't want to go to school. I had to bring myself. How sad is that?"

Former anti-shipper

"Can't say I blame you entirely", Somari said, "I'd give anything to stay out of school!

He pushed his glasses up. "...Though our reasons are most likely different..."
Page 1 of 3 [ 103 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » Roleplay » General Roleplay