Board index » Roleplay » General Roleplay

Page 1 of 2[ 51 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next

RP revitalisationTopic%20Title

Gettin' Old!

Perhaps I'm gauging this wrong but aside from the long-running spin the bottle RP I think the RP scene on CR is lacking severely.

Which is a shame since when done right it can be good fun and create a nice little story.
So this here is a little topic to gauge interest in roleplaying on CR. Please reply and indicate if you are interested in roleplaying, what kind of roleplay you would be interested in participating in and...optionally what time zone you live in as it can make a roleplay flow better as it's never nice to leave an individual out for too long while the story speeds past them because nature demands they sleep. Ideally the purpose of this topic is to better coordinate and facilitate the creation of roleplays on CR.

For myself:
I'm interested in many roleplays, unfortunately I'm not really interested in romance-heavy roleplays (which is why I avoid the Spin-the-bottle one). I prefer non-original character roleplays to OC's as they often provide balanced characters with weaknesses and thus limit Gary/Mary Sues which annoy the hell outta me in Roleplays. I can be happy with OC's provided they are balanced too it's just a preference at times. My timezone is GMT. I'd like a roleplay with a bit of combat ideally one that requires teamwork to take down serious foes, such as a Monster Hunter roleplay, however this is a bit niche though a similar theme will make me happy.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.
Re: RP revitalisationTopic%20Title

Waiting on Godot...

Pierre, if you're wanting to make a roleplaying game that you like, then make it. If anyone is going to have the same interests as you, then they'll join.

Time zone shouldn't matter if you make sure that roleplayers don't get left behind. I have a 1 RP per week minimum post (unless you advise that you're busy or sick) for my role play so no one holds up the RP. If someone can't RP for a while, we figure out a way to carry on the RP. If two characters want an epic conversation then they can, but if it involves a scene that hasn't progressed or a character that should be there didn't get to react in the scene cause they needed a day or two to get to the post, then I pull the hand break. It's simple. RP does not have to happen real time in a forum. That's the beauty of this set up. If you want live role playing, table top is SO much cooler :)

One thing I stress to new GMs out there- Guys it's not just about creating a story. It's about the players too. If players aren't enjoying themselves, they wont post. If someone doesn't post for a week, just message them and ask if they're cool. I've been in RPs in the past where I got left behind cause the RP was filled with Americans that blasted 20 RPs while I posted one post (cause I have to RP during lunch breaks to be online when Americans aren't at school / work) and left me in the dust. THAT rp I left promply. Another I left cause there was month long gaps in between RPs due to people 'forgetting' to role play. Others I've GMed, people have left cause they never told me that a character made them upset and they couldn't role play with them anymore. This is ALL stuff you need to take care of. You don't? Then you'll be sitting in your thread all alone. The storyline doesn't have to have structure, but DO make sure that everyone is enjoying themselves. If GMs all started doing that, then CR wouldn't have a shortage of good RPs to join.

Also, one other thing- if a dynamic in the game isn't working, or becomes boring, do fix it. Spin the bottle works cause the game has evolved since it was first created 3 or so years ago. It started off with no structure which was boring. Then I suggested forcing spins and that didn't work cause most of the kisses were same sex so we gave the RPers a choice of 3 spins. Then people wanted adults so a second game in the back of the house was made, then mafia started coming to the house so mafia dynamics were added. Kissing only in spin the bottle became boring so I added an optional dare. Adding structure to an RP can help even an unstructured game. IF it doesn't work, take it out. If it needs improvement, do it. Don't feel that the RP you had 1 year ago has to be the same 1 year down the track. If it's stale, make it interesting again ;) Adding a random new bad guy, plotting with members behind people's back for drama... stuff like that can spice the game up. The OOC threads are good for this kind or stuff :)

(Sorry about text wall if it's tl:dr :payne: )
ImageImageImageImage

Gettin' Old!

*sees reply*
*sees it's Arkillian*
*expects some small criticism*
*finds some small criticism* XD

It's not just about finding a game I like, I'm flexible it's about gauging how many active roleplayers are still on CR and what they would like to do. I know timezone shouldn't really matter but I thought I'd throw it out anyway. Though tabletop/pen and paper Rping is pretty cool I'm wrapped up in one game and lining up a character for another presently but I do like my story-driven RP here occasionally.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Waiting on Godot...

I give pointers cause this forum does suffer a little from stable role plays to join. I think if my RP fell, I'd likely leave court records cause if I can't keep StB going, then there was no hope of another RP working out, and the art thread is a ghost town too. I make posts, reply to posts, and dont' get any replies. I passionately want to see this forum crack the handle back to what it was 2 years back. Those days were epic. Even if the rps were badly run in a high percentage of cases, they were atleast active so you could just bail, and find another role play that suited you better.

A roll call wouldn't hurt though I guess. Just don't worry too much if the roll count doesn't get too high- it's only an indication. Alot of RPers only look at threads they're part of. You may have a few lurkers about too that are happy to just watch until an rp takes their fancy. I think you'll be surprised :)
ImageImageImageImage

Gettin' Old!

Arkillian wrote:
A roll call wouldn't hurt though I guess. Just don't worry too much if the roll count doesn't get too high- it's only an indication. Alot of RPers only look at threads they're part of. You may have a few lurkers about too that are happy to just watch until an rp takes their fancy. I think you'll be surprised :)

Yeah I was expecting it would be low but since RP's are so inactive around here it's impossible to tell who's 'Waiting for X' to reply and still here. Hence this, I'm perfectly fine running a small-crew roleplay in fact the best one I'm in elsewhere is down to 15336 posts and most of them are done by me and two others so even if I can get a few it's fine.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Waiting on Godot...

Your favourite roleplay you mean. Everyone has different tastes in things. Yours is not the same as mine- I know this for a fact. The best RPs I've been in are table top ones.
ImageImageImageImage

Prolific Writer

For the record, I'm interested in RPing myself. Personally, I'm still waiting on my fan trial because I'm optimistic, patient, and stubborn (which, by the way, is a very dangerous combination :-P ).

Anyway, I suppose I'm not entirely picky about what RPs I favor. Just as long as it's not a setting I've never heard of/am not interested in or a crossover that makes no sense, I'm game for just about anything. Although I might have a tendency to gravitate more towards the Phoenix Wright-based RPs as far as this forum is concerned (this is a Phoenix Wright forum, after all). Fan trials would be nice, but that section is more of a ghost town than this one, so I don't think I'll be holding my breath for that.
Some call me eccentric. I call myself creative.
My Fanfiction
My Fan Trial, Spirit's Turnabout

Gettin' Old!

Good that's another one then I think I seen Anthony around recently so maybe he'll show up though I've had reservations about him before I'll take whoever is available right now to roleplay.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You’re so small in such a big world...

Erm...*Raises her hand* I'm still interested in roleplaying. I could really get into any kind. I do tend to prefer using OCs because it requires more imagination to make a character up than it does to use one already there, and I like to stretch my imagination as much as possible. However, I'd have no problem RPing PW characters. I do enjoy RPing just about any kind of genre. Also, my time zone is Central Standard Time (CST), not that that's a huge thing. So, yeah. I'm here!
Avatar drawn by MC_Kitten, edited by Slezak

Gettin' Old!

Woo that's three :garyuu:
Nice to know the roleplay scene isn't at all dead. Now is there any kind of roleplay any of you would like to do in particular?
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Prolific Writer

Pierre wrote:
Nice to know the roleplay scene isn't at all dead. Now is there any kind of roleplay any of you would like to do in particular?

Well, I'd be more partial to a Phoenix Wright-based RP, but I'm open to anything as long as it isn't the exceptions listed above. I'm not particularly picky. :edgy:
My Fanfiction

The man who decides the verdict

Count me in this RP.
I definitely want a PW-based RP right now, though.

Just another day.

im still interested in rps personally but...i tend to really join ones that sound interesting to me thus is why i rarely join any...no particular preference in what the roleplay is but i prefer oc characters (as to avoid making the character i play be...well...out of character) and time zone is UTC pacific time :P

Pierre wrote:

Well, as long as it sounds fun and is creative, it doesn't really make any difference to me. Perhaps what would be best is a PW-based RP that allows for OCs. Maybe it could even be a cross-over? That way, everybody's happy! :keiko:

Gettin' Old!

Lida_Rose wrote:
Pierre wrote:

Well, as long as it sounds fun and is creative, it doesn't really make any difference to me. Perhaps what would be best is a PW-based RP that allows for OCs. Maybe it could even be a cross-over? That way, everybody's happy! :keiko:

The problem (in my mind) with PW-roleplays is that by and large the majority of them are trials, and they require a lot of thought and extreme planning to make a unique case for it complete with twists turns and original characters. Plus we would need more people I think in order to fill out all the slots.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Prolific Writer

Pierre wrote:
Lida_Rose wrote:

The problem (in my mind) with PW-roleplays is that by and large the majority of them are trials, and they require a lot of thought and extreme planning to make a unique case for it complete with twists turns and original characters. Plus we would need more people I think in order to fill out all the slots.

Well, there's no rule saying that it has to be a fan trial, is there? You can try something new and different if you want. Like I said, I'm not all that picky.
My Fanfiction

Indeed, there is no rule that says it has to become a trial if it takes place in the PW world...Or, perhaps, the PW characters find themselves in a different world? Or awake to find themselves in a dark room? XD. Anyway, the RP doesn't have to fall in with the majority.

Gettin' Old!

XD Alternate reality where a client's innocence is decided by the prosecutor and defence attorney battling it out in the ring with their allies!
Made by Chesu+Zombee

*Pictures Edgeworth and Phoenix toplessly duking it out in the ring* Lol.

Oh, hey, I have an idea that probably is horrible, but what if we were to cross-over Phoenix Wright and Pokemon? Like, either the Phoenix Wright characters wake to find themselves in the Pokemon universe and must start the epic quest to "catch 'em all" while the PW villains team up to make an evil group of people even worse than Team Rocket, or the Pokemon are transported to the PW world, and thus, trials are determined with Pokemon battles? XD.

...I'll just see if anyone acknowledges my idea before trying to actually make the RP...

Prolific Writer

Lida_Rose wrote:

Oh, hey, I have an idea that probably is horrible, but what if we were to cross-over Phoenix Wright and Pokemon? Like, either the Phoenix Wright characters wake to find themselves in the Pokemon universe and must start the epic quest to "catch 'em all" while the PW villains team up to make an evil group of people even worse than Team Rocket, or the Pokemon are transported to the PW world, and thus, trials are determined with Pokemon battles? XD.

...I'll just see if anyone acknowledges my idea before trying to actually make the RP...

Eh, I don't know. It's a fun idea, but I can't picture myself RPing in that setting. It feels like one of those crossovers that makes no sense (which is not a bad thing per se, it's just something I can't really work with). Just my personal preference, though.
My Fanfiction

Gettin' Old!

Little_Thief wrote:
Lida_Rose wrote:

Eh, I don't know. It's a fun idea, but I can't picture myself RPing in that setting. It feels like one of those crossovers that makes no sense (which is not a bad thing per se, it's just something I can't really work with). Just my personal preference, though.

Pokemon crossovers DON'T make sense *glares at Pokemon Conquest* though I'd say Damon Gant would have to be the lightning gym leader XD

I'd be down for it but best if we can get something we all enjoy any ideas little thief?
The problem I have with a straight PW RP is that I'd feel compelled for it to have a trial and a plot so as to have some direction but I don't feel like planning out the intricate plot twists and stuff for a trial. Hence we need some spin.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Prolific Writer

Pierre wrote:
Pokemon crossovers DON'T make sense *glares at Pokemon Conquest*

Touché. :sillytrucy:

Quote:
I'd be down for it but best if we can get something we all enjoy any ideas little thief?

Well, if we want a Pokémon RP with Phoenix Wright elements, what about a Pokémon film noir RP? True, it might not have trials, but there is an investigation aspect (or at least the potential for one), and the plot isn't as important as it is in the Phoenix Wright games, so you don't have to plan anything that intricate. Now it might get more intricate as time goes on, but it can start out as a simple sandbox RP.

Now, if you want an example of a non-trial Phoenix Wright RP, I suggest a summer vacation/road trip RP. A bunch of characters go to the beach/go camping/whatever and have a bunch of wacky adventures while doing so. If handled correctly, it could have a lot of potential. :edgy:
My Fanfiction

Too bad. Waluigi Time.

I am interested in RPing. I tend to be pretty flexible with the types of RP's I'm in, though I particularly like science-fiction style RPs and PW based RPs.

Gettin' Old!

Detective Luke Atmey wrote:
I am interested in RPing. I tend to be pretty flexible with the types of RP's I'm in, though I particularly like science-fiction style RPs and PW based RPs.

*Cue B-movie title card*

Ace Attorney....IN SPPPAAACCCEE!
Made by Chesu+Zombee

The member who doesn't swear much

I'm interested but it's literally been years so I'd be so rusty and well, I don't even know what I'm interested in. I like OC's if I get time to come up with an idea. xD
Married to KSAT~. Super Cammy (known as Cammyflage) sprite in avvie by Looby.

I Do LPs. Here's a link to watch them on my channel on YouTube.

Yo Dawg!

I also miss RPing. I always loved that about this forum (besides sharing Ace Attorney fandom), and the RP's were always so creative. I remember a Wild West RP that was absolutely magnificent while it lasted, also a Star Wars one...

Maybe a Doctor Who RP would be cool! Or maybe...Doctor Who and Phoenix Wright crossover?

Neon Lemmy Koopa wrote:
Maybe a Doctor Who RP would be cool! Or maybe...Doctor Who and Phoenix Wright crossover?

I like the idea but how could it work?

Yo Dawg!

BSX wrote:

I haven't quite worked that part out yet. But then, that's the nice thing about RP's: it can start as an idea and blossom into a complex story with lots of twists and turns. After all, anyone RPing can change the plot (as long as they do it as their character, of course), so it could just work.

Gettin' Old!

Neon Lemmy Koopa wrote:
BSX wrote:

I haven't quite worked that part out yet. But then, that's the nice thing about RP's: it can start as an idea and blossom into a complex story with lots of twists and turns. After all, anyone RPing can change the plot (as long as they do it as their character, of course), so it could just work.

Dr Who has a box that travels through time and dimensions(?). While I'm not too strong on Dr Who fiction I'm not sure if bringing the Doctor to an AA universe would be too easy/light for his intellect or if bringing some of the Doctor's elements to Phoenix Wright's world would make it too dark for AA characters.

Though I'm torn between OC's and existing characters. OC's can end a bit mary-sueish but when done right they are great fun.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

A bad RPer could turn an existing character into a Mary Sue.

I prefer OC's because you get more freedom.

Yo Dawg!

I've always preferred OC's. More freedom, and if done right, they can make an excellent RP. Especially if I RP as a character I've already made, then I know how to act, the character doesn't become a godmod or too powerful/no weaknesses. I'm not really sure what you all mean by 'mary sue'

Gettin' Old!

Neon Lemmy Koopa wrote:
I've always preferred OC's. More freedom, and if done right, they can make an excellent RP. Especially if I RP as a character I've already made, then I know how to act, the character doesn't become a godmod or too powerful/no weaknesses. I'm not really sure what you all mean by 'mary sue'

A character who seems perfect in almost every way. Strong in combat/not ugly/charismatic/never shaken/also magically power/etc where they can do and will do everything with little to no consequence for them. Some guy around here was really bad for it a while back but hey I'm up for any RP OC or otherwise.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Under-aged Defense Attorney

Huh. This thread has been round for a few months... I'm surprised that I didn't see this...

I absolutely love roleplaying! I'd love to see more active roleplays around here. Sadly. StB is the main reason I even visit CR anymore...

Anyway, to join in the convo, I generally dislike roleplaying as OCs, I don't mind people playing them, but from the multiple OCs I've attempted to create, most of them ended up slightly Mary Sues, and yet, Mary Sues piss me off so much.

I'd much rather roleplay as an existing character. *coughVeracough* It's much easier to portray if you study/understand the character and can get a hold of their speech pattern, but if it's an OC, at least, it happens to me sometimes, the OC doesn't have a set speech pattern, so when I'm angry, my character's speech pattern will be more aggressive, and if I happen to be playing an OC that is gentle and peaceful, then...

However, with an existing character, if I understand them well enough, I know my boundaries and I'm more careful when it comes to roleplaying as them. Which is definitely not the case with me and OCs.

*Wanders back into the thread.*

I like playing OCs and characters from PW, but I prefer playing OCs because it gives me a chance to explore the original character and possibly learn something new about him/her.

And, over the years (the phrase makes me feel old), I've learned that I love my OCs because of their flaws (oftentimes, their many, many flaws), so, muahahahaha! Mine is an evil laugh!

Erm...I'm not at all familiar with Doctor Who. I haven't ever seen the show, though I do plan to sometime. And now I'm thinking of a PW/Firefly crossover, though there's no way I can think of to make that work.

It might be a good idea to start with a generic RP plot to get everyone warmed up and back into the swing of things. Then we could talk about more complex ones. ^_^ I'm a little rusty, myself.

Gettin' Old!

Ah Firefly =D how amazing that show was.

Though sure we should probably think of some basic roleplay where we can make OCs for a bit and have a standard plot.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Prolific Writer

For the record, I have no preference between canon character and OCs. Both have their pros and cons, and I am easily able to utilize both.

Also, here's a thought. Depending on the setting, there can be characters who are hybrids between canon characters and OCs. Though I'm not sure if it would work for Phoenix Wright (the only situation I can imagine are things like Adult Pearl and such), I participated in a long-standing Megaman RP where that was the case nine times out of ten due to the setting. And for the record, I was comfortable using those kinds of characters as well.

I might have mentioned this before, but I am pretty flexible when it comes to RPs. :edgy:
My Fanfiction

Lack of sleep sucks...

Location: Between the Stairway to Heaven and the Highway to Hell.

Alright.... We gonna sit here and talk about Rp-ing or are we gonna do something here!? I quit this site years ago because of the lack of interesting RPs around here! Now, if someone wants to do this......... *tears off sleeves* Then let's rock!

Gettin' Old!

Sure just need one to go with.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Prolific Writer

Dofa wrote:
Alright.... We gonna sit here and talk about Rp-ing or are we gonna do something here!? I quit this site years ago because of the lack of interesting RPs around here! Now, if someone wants to do this......... *tears off sleeves* Then let's rock!

I've actually been contemplating ideas for a Persona RP, but I'm having trouble plot-wise. If anyone has any ideas, let me know. :edgy:
My Fanfiction

Gettin' Old!

Little_Thief wrote:
Dofa wrote:

I've actually been contemplating ideas for a Persona RP, but I'm having trouble plot-wise. If anyone has any ideas, let me know. :edgy:

One of my friends made a pen and paper Persona RP, XD it wasn't entirely balanced.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Page 1 of 2 [ 51 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Roleplay » General Roleplay