Board index » Roleplay » Berry Big Circus

Page 30 of 48[ 1897 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 48  Next

Re: NG7: The Nullification Game (Timeline B)Topic%20Title

Emma almost gasped upon seeing the tear on Ghost's suit. She looked down as Bradley asked about it. "With a virus like Blight-Z...there is no chance they won't be infected after any kind of exposure, and we're in a closed space with infected people. If not now, they would definitely catch it on the time it would take us to fix that." She said grimly.
Signature loading, please wait...

Happy Maria

"Shit!", Albert yells. "This isn't good...now he's infected too, dammit! Can we really afford to waste more vaccines like this?" He sighs. "We seriously need help now..."

Shy guy

Ghost quickly pressed down on Bradley's hand over the tear. "It's... I'm sure it will be alright," they said, though their apparent optimism was betrayed by the shakiness of their arm. "It's such a small tear! I'm sure we can find a way to patch it up like you said. We found another hazmat suit in the bedroom, actually."

"If I just stay positive, it will be fine," Ghost then said, more to themselves than anyone else. "Keep calm. Our room, there was a demonstration of the placebo effect in there. Take medicine for an illness and you might feel better even if the medicine had secretly been fake. But there's an opposite variant, the nocebo effect. If I worry that I've been infected, I might start feeling bad even though I'm fine, which could lead to me doing something drastic that would end with me being actually infected. S-so... I'm just going to keep hoping that I'm fine, okay? Please, everyone, don't try to tell me otherwise!" they added with a note of desperation in their voice. "You'll break the spell."

Midge gives Ghost a concerned look, "Come on Ghost, we'll get you a vaccine. It sucks, but whatever."

"Man, that was a nice way of looking at it by Ghost. I can't say I'd be able to do the same."

She takes out a '2' key, showing it to the others, "We need to figure out where this goes, we've got work to do."

ASCEND

"Ah, so if you're saying that if I believe I don't have Blight-Z, I'll be cured?" Helios asked, "Sounds like an excellent plan! Let's all do that, so we won't need a single vaccine!"

"Oh, and as for the key, perhaps we should try it on that keyhole on the chess clock?" He added.
Vesti and Lauren's Interdimensional Investigations
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

1000% Knight

"If that doesn't work, we found a '1' key," Teddy said, looking in Adriana's direction.
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Happy Maria

"Alright, then", Albert murmurs, eager to move on as well. "Not much in our room, really…we weren't able to figure out the anagram much, though I think 'versus' may be a part of it. There were also some virus samples in the biolab. According to Emma, there was apparently some outbreak of Blight X a while back but the casualties were limited. Speaking of Emma, she took away some secret 'confidential' files involving some weird ass thing called 'Ghost Protocol'. Wouldn't even tell us what was in it. She seemed pretty goddamn secretive about it, if you ask me", he finishes, a little irritated about the situation.

Gettin' Old!

Bradley glared at Helios for making light of Ghost's grave situation "R-right...we'll keep going. You'll have longer than the rest of us anyway so if you did get infected you could put on that new suit and walk to a hospital. Keeping the virus sealed inside until they can quarantine you and heal you" he said hopefully

Looking over his shoulder there was an odd looking assortment of scrap metal that had the words "Created By A. Sherrington" on it.

"All we found in this room was that and this book" he said pulling out a book from under his arm. "We think it's some kind of device for time travel or crossing through realities."

Spoiler: Flashback
The three of them begin to piece the machinery together. What they end up getting is…

“A spaceship?”

“Looks more like a teleporter.”

Violet stared at them. “It looks like junk to me.”

The device somewhat resembled a helicopter without a tail or blades. The doors could close airtight, completely sealing the inside.

“Ah, this was in that book Mr. Helios!”

“Eh? The one I found?”

Helios pulled out the book: A Written Summary of Time Travel and Other Spacetime Theories by Xavier Werner. The book was wrapped in plastic, but it’d clearly been used and was probably wrapped to protect it from the trash.

Bradley grabbed the book and flipped to a page near the middle. The device they built seemed to be in the book, sketched as a diagram.

“Wait a second, I just unwrapped this.” Helios frowned. “How did you know this was in here?”

I read it before.

“Really?” Violet seemed impressed. The book was more like a textbook than a story. “That’s impressive."

Bradley blushed. “It was ok. A lot of it was confusing.”

“So what’s the relevance?” Helios asked, trying to pivot back to the subject.

“This machine is sort of built in conjunction with a certain theory. It’s called Infinite, Infinite Universes."

“Oh I’ve heard of this.” Helios nodded. “…I think.”

“Ok so," Bradley began, “Every time we make a choice, a new universe splits. So if I flipped a coin, I’d create two new universes from this point forward.”

“Or a third if it landed in Helios’ eye.” Violet snickered.

“Continue.” Helios asked, clenching his teeth.

“Well, choices are pretty innocuous.” Bradley said, pronouncing the last word very incorrectly. "We’ve made tons of choices since we got in here, even choosing where to step, when to stop, where to search. And there are thousands of people making choices all the time, and the choices just branch more and more at every outcome.”

“Infinite universes. Right.” Violet nodded.

“That’s just the base for the theory, though.” Bradley nodded. “Just because there are infinite universes, doesn’t mean we have complete free will.”

“That doesn’t make sense. You just said there were infinite possibilities.” Helios put a finger to his head in pain. “Infinite includes everything.”

“Well uh, think about it this way. How many numbers are there?”

“…infinite.” Violet answered, hoping it wasn’t a trick question.

“Right! You’re so smart, Violet!” Bradley beamed. “And how many numbers are between 0 and 1?”

“0!” Helios shouted.

“1!” Violet added.

“Wait.” Helios stopped. “.1, .2, ….10! It’s 10!”

“It’s infinite.” Bradley sighed, raising an eyebrow.

“Oh right.” Helios blushed. “Should’ve known the trick question was coming.”

“Well, that’s the idea.” Bradley shrugged. “We might be in a branch where every single outcome lies between 0 and 1. But we’ll never be in a branch greater than 1 or less than 0. So there are still infinite universes, but it’s not all universes.”

“Makes sense, I guess.” Violet grumbled. “Seems weird though.”

“The theory also holds that what separates those boundaries between branches are [points of convergence]. Basically, because of decisions made in the past, those could have irreversible consequences in the future. Like Mr. Helios, you’re having a hard time with the election, right?”

“…right.”

“Well, we might be in a branch where you never win, no matter what! Because of decisions made long ago, it’s now impossible even though it seems technically possible.”

“Well, how interesting.” Helios waved his hand. “But what some nutjob wrote and what some weirdo built out of junk is of no concern for political implications.”

“Wait, how does the machine tie into this?” Violet frowned.

“Well, whoever built it probably believed in this theory. So they wanted to make a time machine, but just made this junk instead.”

Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Happy Maria

"...Sherrington, huh?" Albert raises an eyebrow. "Mind if I take a look at that scrap metal?" He goes over to examine it.

hi

Violet tipped her head to one side. "You know him or something? Whatever, you can look at it. It's not like it still works or anything."

Happy Maria

"W-well, I haven't ever personally met him", Albert clarifies. "But I guess you could say I've...er, heard of him." He sighs. "So this really is broken, huh. Sucks."

Shy guy

"Ghost Protocol?" Ghost repeated, staring at Emma with what was probably an inquiring expression. "The only thing I can remember about myself is the word 'Ghost'. That must have something to do with this Protocol thing! What was it you found?"

They then turned to Bradley gratefully. "You're right, there's still hope either way, thank you. I can keep going like this."

"Wow, Bradley! That's actually very cool that you know so much about this stuff," Midge says approvingly.

She goes over to the machine, examining it, pushing past Albert. "Hmm, Null is taunting us with stuff like this. Digging up trash from time travelers, all it's going to do is make us long for another world entirely, one where we're not in here, and none of this ever happened."

"So Albert, don't think you can fix it?" Midge says slyly.

Emma glared at Albert as he talked about what they had found in their room, then turned to Ghost. "As Albert said, it's a confidential file. There's a reason it's that way, so I couldn't let just anyone read it."

She took out a a black binder, and looked at it for a moment before sighing. "But we clearly need as much information as we can in our current situation, and this file is heavily censored anyway. So I don't think it'll help much, but..." She opened the file, and let the others view its contents.

Spoiler: 'Ghost Protocol'
The file is mostly marked over by black bars, but a few key phrases were left in every page or so.

-SkyTech's Ghost Protocol is a project meant to preserve the human species.
—faux immortality
—unaffected by viruses, common illnesses, starvation
-They have been identified by several names such as ghosts, zombies, hosts, claydolls, and homunculi.
-Brain operates on a program: Artificial Intelligence is far from ready.

The rest of the file is completely censored.

Teddy picked through the trash that Bradley knocked over. "Bradley, looks like you're fucking around wasn't for nothing."

Where the mound was heavily accumulated had fallen down, revealing a small door behind it. It looked wooden but still had a rusty keyhole covering it. Written on the door was THE REFORMER.

"Is this a trial?"

"Huh. Guess we should choose between this or the chess clock?"

"No, it probably has to be this." Ghost guessed.

"What makes you say that?"

"Well the trial in our room said 'THE PEACEMAKER'. I think the trial names refer to enneagram types, and are meant for the corresponding people."

"That's right." Teddy nodded. "I tried to enter Ghost's trial but got electrocuted."

"Wait, you have a trial?" Bradley raised an eyebrow. "And you didn't do it?"

"No." Ghost looked at the ground.

"Well, that was before you were infected." Adriana noted. "Maybe you should reconsider now?"

"N-No!" Ghost shouted.

Everybody was taken aback.

"S-Sorry. But...I can't do it. Or rather...it's something I need to think about." He awkwardly coughed. "Anyway, we have the '1' and '2' keys. But 'THE ENTHUSIAST' is 7, so we can't activate it."

"Hmmmm...." Midge frowned at the door. "And 'THE REFORMER' is 1 or 2?"

"Yes. Type 1. So we just need to try and accurately match a personality from our group to that." Ghost nodded, satisfied.

He then turned to Emma. "Or...that's what we would do, but we have much to discuss first. Hold on, give me a chance to read this file." He leaned over to read what Emma was displaying.

Gettin' Old!

Bradley blushed slightly at Midge's praise "O-oh I Just really like reading that's all." He muttered embarrassed before slipping out of the rubber suit.

"I'm not quite sure who would be a 'reformer' though...maybe we should just have everyone try a key?" He grimaced at the smell "Though do we really need to do the trial in this room? It's really unpleasant and..." He glanced at the shredder and incinerator "I...I don't really like the look of those."
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Shy guy

"'They' have been identified as ghosts..." Ghost muttered, mulling it over. "I can't tell what this is talking about, but... it seems to be some kind of process that makes people into 'ghosts' and grants them faux immortality? But none of this means anything to me. And before anyone says it, I'm not one of these ghost/zombie/claydoll things! If I was, I wouldn't need this hazmat suit, I'd be immune to the Blight-Z virus anyway. Of course, that only leaves me more confused why the word 'ghost' is all I can remember, if that's not even what I am."

ASCEND

"Perhaps you worked on the project, despite not actually being one of these so-called 'ghosts' yourself?" Helios offered.

((Also I looked up the Reformer and it's described as Rational, Self-Controlled, and Principled))
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

Midge listens to the file, shaking her head matter-of-factly.

"Hey if you want the human species to last longer, maybe just take a picture, okay? No need to cobble together a couple of flesh monsters, thanks," she comments bitterly.

"Is this the great defense against those viruses, like Blight? Gee, SkyTech is more Neolithic than I thought."

After whispering incomprehensibly a little longer, Midge nods to Bradley. "I think we should perhaps not start here. Let's go try the peacemaker, it probably won't be as intense."

1000% Knight

"That trial didn't have a key, but it was in a soundproof... forcefield... thing. So only Ghost knows what the trial entails... and it seems like they don't wanna do it or talk about it," Teddy said. "I think our only options are PEACEMAKER, if Ghost is willing, or REFORMER."

ASCEND

"It seems somewhat odd to me that Ghost would be trying to prevent us from doing something that would give us vaccines..." Helios admitted, "But since we have another trial available, I don't think it matters that much."

"Oh I'm getting what Ghost is saying. I think, if we only have key 1 and 2, well then we can only do the first and second enneagram types or whatever. That means we can only unlock the Reformer and whatever number two is, which probably isn't either Peacemaker or Enthusiast," Midge points out. "It looks like we might actually have to do whatever this thing is."

Midge stares down the door, lost in thought.

1000% Knight

"It didn't look like PEACEMAKER actually needed a key, but... only Ghost could get close to it," Teddy remarked.

"Type 2 would be the 'helper'." Emma elucidated. "Peacemaker is number 9, but what Ghost said made it sound like they could already start the trial but didn't want to. Either way, we have the key for 'The Reformer' so that's what we should do. We can check out the other trials when we are done with this one."

"Hmm... well if Ghost has a hole in their suit, I guess it can't be helped. Just sit tight alright, buddy?" Midge says without a hint of irony.

Midge continues sizing up the door in front of her, "I'm getting the feeling I might have to bite the bullet on this one. I can take it out. Someone get me the '1' key."

Midge inserts the key into the door but it zaps her. Ouch.

Midge laughs.

"Okay, well there you go, I tried to be a hero, but looks like it wasn't meant to be. Maybe Ghost really should go for the peacemaker. What if this one puts one of the kids in danger and not you, Ghost? I mean I guess bad things could await us no matter what, but still."

Gettin' Old!

Bradley mulled it over "Rational...self-controlled...and principled...that might be you Miss Emma?" He suggested
Made by Chesu+Zombee

"I'm not sure I quite fit that type, but it's worth a try." She walked over to Midge to collect the key.

The key turned. A rumbling sound could be heard as the door opened.

Through the door appeared to be some sort of cavern that only wound down further and further. Emma faced it with a sense of trepidation.

“Hello. Emma. Welcome to your trial.”

Everybody exchanged nervous looks as Null continued. “The participants of this trial will be: Emma. Teddy. Ghost. Midge. Not participating will result in death.”

“Let’s not waste time.” Midge encouraged. “I have a feeling she’ll keep her word on that one.”

“Oh dear…” Ghost clenched a fist. “Well, let’s head down.”

Everybody headed down with that group of four. At the bottom of the cavern was a metallic platform. Warily, Emma stepped on it.

Without any warning, four glass walls suddenly surrounded her. She would not be able to leave the platform.

“Emma!” Violet shouted.

“Please continue moving.” Null advised. “Nobody besides the trial participants should go beyond this point.

“There will be a fork shortly down the cavern. Ghost and Teddy should go left. Midge should go right.”

“Be careful.” Bradley meekly offered what comfort he could.

The three of them crossed. As mentioned by Null, there was a fork. They went in their designated directions, a glass wall coming up behind them as they crossed.

“What’s in there?” Helios yelled.

“It’s a dead end.” Teddy grumbled. “We have an intercom, but there’s nothing in front of us besides a wall of rock. Nothing behind us except the glass wall blocking where we came from.”

“Same here.” Midge shouted from her side.

A hiss of steam could be heard. Then the powering up of machinery. It seemed the platform Emma was on was beginning to accelerate in place. Underneath the earth, a set of tracks began to rise through the dirt. It appeared they had been buried underneath.

“Emma. Please pay attention.” Null advised. “In NINETY seconds, the platform you are on will propel itself forward along the tracks. It will collide with Ghost and Teddy, killing them. However, you can press the button in front of you to switch the track towards Midge.”

Emma’s face whitened. It seemed like she was about to collapse but she stood still.

“You will receive a vaccine if you make the right choice.”

“What’s the right choice?” Emma shakily asked.

There was a long stretch of time, to the point where it seemed Null wouldn’t respond. “You know in your heart what the right choice is.”

[Note: This is a long 90 seconds with no real irl deadline. Feel free to spend time shouting at Emma/each other]

Gettin' Old!

Bradley's feelings of smugness at having assessed Emma's character correctly quickly evaporated as the new murder-trial popped in front of them.

"No! None of it is the right choice! Please Mr Teddy! Ghost! You need to break out of there somehow!" he cried.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

1000% Knight

"What the fuck!?" Teddy shouted. After the initial shock had worn off, he pulled out a gun and...

...started banging on the glass with it. Unfortunate.

"Whichever choice it is, just... get that damn vaccine!" Teddy screamed at Emma while continuing to try to break through the glass.

hi

Violet glanced back and forth between the trials participants. "How is there a right answer? Either way, someone dies! Maybe there's some hidden button that stops the whole thing."

Shy guy

"Please, don't worry about us!" Ghost shouted, banging on the glass alongside Teddy with their gloved fists. "Whatever decision you make, it won't be your fault!

ASCEND

"This makes no sense!" Helios shouted, "This is essentially the trolley problems, one of the cornerstones of moral philosophy! But the trolley problem is a thought experiment. It's entire purpose is to not have a correct answer! So there must be some secret, right? Some way to keep anyone from dying?"

"H-hey... this seems a little unfair, doesn't it?! M-maybe there's another way out?!" Midge stutters as she yells, uncharacteristically shaken.

"Emma... Are you going to kill them or me?! Just tell me, okay?!"

Midge looks down, whispering something, completely inaudible in the panic.

"The right choice..." Emma said to herself, shaking.

She raised her hand, touching the button but not pressing it yet. She spent what feelt like an eternity thinking, until she heard Midge's voice.

"I-" She stammered , her usually calm voice starting to crack. "Midge-no, Clara...I'm sorry. I already knew this is what I had to choose." With that, she proceeded to press the button.

"EmmaaAAAAAAAAAAAA!!" Midge shrieks, her voice cutting over the sound of the tracks.

She clutches her neck, her knees shaking.

"There's so much... I still had to tell you."
Re: NG7: The Nullification Game (Timeline B1)Topic%20Title

There wasn't anything else to be said. Wordlessly, Emma's cart launched forward, moving unstably along the tracks.

It barreled towards Midge, smashing through the glass in front of her, and with nowhere to run, over Midge as well. The crash was so thunderous that it was unclear whether or not Midge had even been hit, and the air felt deathly silent after the cart's immediate impact into the wall.

Emma stumbled out...collapsing to the ground. Ejecting from the cart behind her was a small box...it was for an adult vaccine.
Re: NG7: The Nullification Game (Timeline B1)Topic%20Title

Happy Maria

“D-dammit!”, Albert shouts, shock on his face after the results. “T-that was one hell of a choice… I don’t blame you for having a hard time with that, Emma… B-but, ‘Clara’? Have you known who Midge was all this time? Then why…?”, he asks, trying to reason things out for himself.
Page 30 of 48 [ 1897 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 48  Next

Board index » Roleplay » Berry Big Circus