Board index » Roleplay » Berry Big Circus

Page 3 of 18[ 695 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18  Next

Re: Black Fable: The Town of Moonview (Prologue)Topic%20Title

"Um." Esther sniffed and blinked back the tears that threatened to well up. "How does Mad Dog usually kill people? Has she . . . done anything like this before?" She never looked away from the mayor's body as she spoke, and it was clear that it took some effort for her to breathe steadily.

Happy Maria

Howard simply stared at the mayor’s lifeless body, an empty look in his eyes. After regaining senses, he stepped back in fright, clutching his flat cap. “T-this is…it’s murder, tah be sure. B-but who the hell…it couldn’t ha’ been one o’ us, right?” He regarded everyone else around him with suspicion. “N-nah…no way… but who else coulda done this? It’s bloody murder, for lord’s sake…” He tipped his flat cap remorsefully in the direction on the mayor’s body. “Death…why can I never avoid ya…?” He mumbled to nobody in particular.

"Hmph." Cooper flashed a sheepish grin at Andre. "I'm better at finding people than solving murders."

UkuleleLady wrote:
"Um." Esther sniffed and blinked back the tears that threatened to well up. "How does Mad Dog usually kill people? Has she . . . done anything like this before?" She never looked away from the mayor's body as she spoke, and it was clear that it took some effort for her to breathe steadily.

"She once tied a man to a horse and then branded its ass. Thing bucked off for a miles, he was dead when they finally stoped the horse but all his skin was scraped off. That's not mentioning the the time she wrapped her partner-in-crime's mouth in barbwire and-you know what, this probably wasn't her so forget it." He hastily concluded. "Though if you want my seasoned instinct... it's a bit strange to me that none of us saw what happened to the ol' Mayor. I don't think it's one of us but three of us? Four of us... " He flashed a sly grin. "But that's impossible, ain't it? Cause none of us know each other and all met today for the first time during a strange ceremony for an uninhabited town?"

hi

"Not exactly impossible." Avis shook her head. "It's possible one of more of us could be lying about what they truly know about the body. I do think, however, it's best we search the woods before accusing anyone here in particular. Our killer or killers could be hiding there.

"A hunt for a human..." She murmured. "A little outside my normal range of expertise, but..."

With a sharp whistle, the large grey falcon in a nearby tree swooped over the crowd, finally landing on Avis' shoulder. "I will lead the search in the woods. If anyone else would like to join, speak now. And if I may request so, I'd like Cooper to help search as well. Your position as a bounty hunter could be very useful."

"Fine by me. Lemme just get some ale for my canteen." He briefly dipped off from the group heading towards the bar.

"A manhunt..?"

Amory sighed through his mask. He adjusted it a bit before laying down on the ground.

"You guys go ahead...sounds like a lot of work for something that might not even matter..."

"Ooh, I would love to run through the woods with you all! It sounds so nice, but I think I would just slow you folks down," Forsythia laments, pulling her hat further down in front of her head.

She turns her head toward the corpse for a moment and seems to startle herself.

"Eugh! This sickly shade of green! It looks like he was hexed, you know? Didn't someone talk about witchcraft yesterday? Maybe that triggered this! Some hexes work like that, you know?" she says, swaying lightly in place.

Gettin' Old!

Blinky wrote:
With a sharp whistle, the large grey falcon in a nearby tree swooped over the crowd, finally landing on Avis' shoulder. "I will lead the search in the woods. If anyone else would like to join, speak now. And if I may request so, I'd like Cooper to help search as well. Your position as a bounty hunter could be very useful."

André looked on with admiration as the falcon landed on Avis' shoulder "Beautiful creature for sure," he said looking at Avis "It would be an honour and pleasure to serve you in this endeavour." he bowed deeply. Stretching out his long athletic arms, he unbuttoned his cuffs and rolled his sleeves up to his elbows revealing equally tanned muscular arms "While I may have some...limited expertise that pales compared to your own I'm sure, I can handle myself pretty well and I've tossed more than one scoundrel out of a bar in my time."

JesusMonroe wrote:
"Fine by me. Lemme just get some ale for my canteen." He briefly dipped off from the group heading towards the bar.

André's eye twitched slightly though his beautiful smile stayed in place "Well I suppose I'll prepare some drinks and snacks for the trip." he said clearly not about to let the heavy-drinking cowboy loose in his bar he hurried off after Cooper, returning a shortwhile later with a sack full of dried meats and canteens of clean water for the search team.

Quote:
"Eugh! This sickly shade of green! It looks like he was hexed, you know? Didn't someone talk about witchcraft yesterday? Maybe that triggered this! Some hexes work like that, you know?" she says, swaying lightly in place.

Seeing her swaying, André placed a gentle but firm hand on Forsythia's shoulder in an attempt "Careful madam...it is a grotesque sight. If it is making you feel faint perhaps you had best lie down for a spell no?" he said offering her a canteen of water to drink from before looking back at the body "Witchcraft eh?" For a moment André paused, his handsome face furrowing into a frown before he closed his eyes and sighed letting his muscles relax again "I've not seen hexes before my dear but if you have something you'd like to say about what could do something like this it might help us in the search." he said with a hint of scepticism.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Shy guy

"I'd only slow you all down, I'll keep out of your way," Pétur said, quite composed already. "At a guess I'd hazard poison as what killed him, and a pretty potent one at that. We might well be dealing with a professional assassin of some kind, so, be careful out there. Watch each other's backs."

"Meanwhile, someone help me move the body. We don't need folk gawping at it all the time, it's causing enough distress already. I'd say we bury it, unless anyone's got any bright ideas about preserving the poor bugger for research purposes," he added disapprovingly.

Cooper comes back to the group also carrying a strange sack with him.

“Alright I’m ready.” He held up the sack. “It’s just coal. To leave a trail behind us as we go in the woods “

Happy Maria

Howard simply stood there in a trance-like state, focusing on the grotesque looking corpse while muttering to himself solemnly.

hi

Avis nodded to Cooper and André. "Alright then. Unless there are any objections, we'll be heading off now. The rest of you should bury the body, as Pétur said." She started walking off toward the woods, falcon still perched on her shoulder.

Cooper begins to whistle as he follows Avis. "♪♪♪ Summer dreams, making some memories... ♪♪♪"

Gettin' Old!

André flashed his most reassuring grin to the onlookers and patted Xander on the head before moving after the others "Adios friends! Take good care of each other and we'll be back by sundown!" he said giving the crowd a lazy wave before hefting the supply sack over his shoulder and turning to follow Cooper and Avis.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Happy Maria

"How the 'ell can we take care of each other if there's a murderer in the group? Howard angrily questioned. "It coulda been any of us for all I know. Coulda even been one o' you three. Ah don't see any reason to trust any o' you", he declared, pointing his pipe at the others in disdain.

Shy guy

"Who'd come all the way out here just to kill a guy?" Pétur replied incredulously. "Now come on, someone help me with the body," he said, turning to the remaining citizens. "You're going to need to touch it, so you'd best not be squeamish. Show the fella some respect here, he deserves that much at least."

fella

As André patted him on the head once more, Xander looked rather bewildered once again, and blankly watched the group of three depart. "U-Uh, good luck out there..." he weakly called out before turning to Pétur. "I can... can attempt to assist with the body. The man deserves a proper burial."

Esther finally looked away from the body, toward Pétur and Xander. "I would like to help with the body, too. He needs to be buried outside of town. Dead bodies . . . they spread disease, when they're buried too close to people." She inhaled deeply and looked at the mayor again. "I, um. Does anyone want to examine him more, first? I don't know what else we can find out, but - but once he's buried, we won't really be able to find anything."

[[Edited because I didn't notice the body was already down. Whoops.]]

Last edited by UkuleleLady on Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[[Avis already removed his body from the tree.]]

[[Also I'll post some search results in a bit as a little bonus thing when this day ends, which is in about an hour]]

Wibbly wobbly timey-wimey stuff

"Hmph, I still believe witchcraft is just a bunch of poppycock," Jonas piped up as the away team prepared to leave for their manhunt, "There is a logical and scientific explanation for everything, including what happened here."

"Please be safe, André, Avis, and Cooper," Jonas called as they went off.

Turning to the others who'd stayed behind, he mused, "For a proper burial, it would be favorable to have quite a large box. Barring that, we must at least find a shovel. Unless anyone else has any theories or can gleam some evidence from examining the body further." Jonas was fully calm at this point, the initial shock having finally worn off. He was still reluctant to approach the body. Esther had just explained his reasoning perfectly. "Very good, Esther. The sooner we can dispose of the corpse, the better." He walked over and patted her on the shoulder.
Thank you for reading. I hope you have a wonderful day.
100% pure Joy.
Excellent source of puns.
Refrigerate after opening.

Spoiler: Somewhere far in the woods where the town can’t hear
“What in tarnatinon?! Beeeeees! Aghhhh!”

Shy guy

"Good man," Pétur nodded to Xander, before turning to Esther. "And you, smart thinking there lass. Sure you'll be comfortable handling it though?" Finally he addressed Jonas. "We never did get a good tour of the town, someone will have to find the shovels. Anyone who doesn't want to have to deal with the late mayor, use your time to do that instead. And Jonas is right, see if you can't find something for a coffin while you're at it."

Gettin' Old!

Spoiler: Elsewhere...
"Oh god Cooper don't pass the beehive to ME! AIIIIGGGHGH! AVIS RUN!!"

Made by Chesu+Zombee

When Jonas placed his hand on her shoulder, Esther looked at him with a sad, grateful smile.

She closed her mouth tightly and nodded to Pétur. "Yes. I practice medicine, so I - I have handled bodies before." Then she blinked as she got an idea. "I have a cart. We could use that to carry him! I'll go get it."

She turned and jogged back to her house. Within a few minutes, returned with her supply cart, now emptied to make room for the corpse, save for a blanket spread across the bottom.

Last edited by UkuleleLady on Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"So what do..? Just dump him on the cart?"

Wibbly wobbly timey-wimey stuff

"Well, it will be a bit more ceremonius than that, but yes," Jonas responded flatly to Amory.

After a moment, Jonas offered, "With that, I shall survey the area for shovels or a large box. Would anyone be willing to accompany?"
Thank you for reading. I hope you have a wonderful day.
100% pure Joy.
Excellent source of puns.
Refrigerate after opening.

As the day passes, the search party finally returns with a grim expression on their faces. A few others try to ask what they found, but it is already very late, and the search party decides it would be best to show the rest of the group their findings in the morning, so that everyone has a chance to see them.

The agitated residents of Moonview return to their houses, and while a few of them attempt to stay vigilant, the night passes quietly and peacefully, with the moon retaining its pale white hue.

When the morning comes around again, everyone gathers at the town square once more, eagerly anticipating what Avis, Cooper and André had discovered.

...What they dump out of their satchel takes the town members by surprise. A human skull, some human bones and what appears to be a torn, mud-ridden page of a journal that reads:

"They found me."

Spoiler: Letters
Every player may now send a private, confidential IC letter to another player, which they may choose to sign or leave anonymous. All you have to do is DM/PM me your character's letter, and I'll forward it to the character you want. These letters will appear in your Court Records PM inbox, and not in your QuickTopic. You may send as many letters as you'd like to any of the other (living) characters.

[[Gentle reminder to start sending in your role plans, as the next Blood Moon will be very soon]]

Last edited by TheLetterF on Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

“So yeah, similar to what I said earlier. ‘They’ means at least two people. And since we couldn’t find anyone’s tracks in the woods... I’m inclined to think a good deal of us are lying.”

At the sight of the bones, Esther covered her mouth with her hands. The color was gone from her face, and her eyes were watery and wide.

"Excuse me," she croaked, barely above a whisper, before she turned and sprinted into her house and slammed the door behind her.

Happy Maria

Howard grimaced realising the implication of the note. "Aye...traitors are afoot, I see. Seems that someone did want the mayor dead, eh, Petur?" He glanced at the other man. "Not a soul you can trust, just like I said. I advise everyone be careful now... Wouldn't want yerself gettin' caught like Timm was."

Southern Corn wrote:
Howard grimaced realising the implication of the note. "Aye...traitors are afoot, I see. Seems that someone did want the mayor dead, eh, Petur?" He glanced at the other man. "Not a soul you can trust, just like I said. I advise everyone be careful now... Wouldn't want yerself gettin' caught like Timm was."

"Ah...you can trust me," Amory said, raising his hand.

Gettin' Old!

André raised a hand after Esther as she ran off before pulling it back morosely "Yes it's true my friends. Seems there is some trouble within town rather than outside it."

André leaned casually against a tree lighting up another herbal cigarette as he did. He shook the match out and looked at Cooper "Though wouldn't the decomposed skull mean that this poor soul had been dead a lot longer?" he sighed heavily allowing a perfectly formed smoke-ring to escape to the heavens "This might be an unfortunate traveller from a previous instance no?" André maintained his immaculate composure but his voice was layered with doubt.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

"Sure. I'd even go as far to say that's more likely." He then chuckled as if laughing at his own joke. "But I still trust my gut. I think what happened to the good Mayor is related to this skeleton. And this town... I don't know. I've been having a bad feeling since we first got here."

Sock

Vaughan grits his teeth. "Nobody's gonna want trinkets from a bloody ghost town. Let's all keep our heads screwed on straight, yeah? Panic is bad for business."

No other way than to make this mistake.

JesusMonroe wrote:
“So yeah, similar to what I said earlier. ‘They’ means at least two people. And since we couldn’t find anyone’s tracks in the woods... I’m inclined to think a good deal of us are lying.”

Averting her eyes from the bones, she nods. "I... I too think that's the case. Seems odd that nobody saw anyone do anything, anywhere. But there is something I can do, at least."

She turns around to face the others, taking the large book hanging from her waist. There's writing on the cover, although it's very faded out and barely visible. "To put it bluntly, I'm a medium. I can commune with the dead. I wanted to avoid messing with the spirits as long as possible, which is why I refrained from saying this much-- but I guess it has to be done now... If you're all curious, and think it's useful, I can attempt to talk to the dead mayor. It might take some time, however."

"Ooh! Traitors! Secrets!" Forsythia says somewhat excitedly, rubbing her hands together. "Scary, but fun!"

It seemed that she had more or less moved past the tragedy that had befallen Vic.

"Emilia! That's a great idea! I never would have thought we had a medium in our midst! That's wonderful! The dead say interesting things, or so I'm told... Keeheehee!"

Gettin' Old!

André almost choked on his cigarette from the surprise "Ahem...Emilia, while I see you are a..." he paused and examined Emilia "...gifted and talented woman...does mediumship not fall under the realm of witchcraft?" he asked with interest shaking some ash loose from his cigarette.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Shy guy

"Talking with the dead? Preposterous," Pėtur said scornfully. "It seems no matter where I go, there's always those enamoured by superstition. Still, if it sets anyone's minds at ease you may as well spin your tales. Just remember, no one-on-one meetings. Too dangerous right now."

fella

"Communing... with the dead?" Xander said, an eyebrow raised up in perplexity. "That sounds rather odd, but I suppose anything is possible...?" he stated uncertainly. "And... if the killers are within this village, i-it could be any one of us..." the boy grimly remarked to no one in particular, warily eyeing the various townspeople around him.

"Oh please." Cooper scoffed. "Weren't we just saying that witchcraft was a load of flummery? Either this lady's been eating one too many strange mushrooms or she's a gee golly witch. In witch case," He paused to laugh "We should be tying her up and taking her to the nearest sheriff."
Page 3 of 18 [ 695 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18  Next

Board index » Roleplay » Berry Big Circus