Board index » Roleplay » Berry Big Circus

Page 3 of 15[ 574 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next

Re: After•LifeTopic%20Title

Happy Maria

"You were once part of a duo, huh?" Pat asked Exie, not minding the comment about him being "old". "Must be hard performing all on your own." He gave her a sympathetic glance. "Feels like somethin's missin' from your life which ya didn't appreciate enough till it was gone... Hope your fans don't give ya a hard time for that or anythin'."

Talking with Charlie, he asked, "So how long have ya been at this for, huh bud? You like fixin' stuff or do ya do it for the pay?" While his words might have seemed pointed, his tone seemed rather friendly.

Shy guy

Southern Corn wrote:
"You were once part of a duo, huh?" Pat asked Exie, not minding the comment about him being "old". "Must be hard performing all on your own." He gave her a sympathetic glance. "Feels like somethin's missin' from your life which ya didn't appreciate enough till it was gone... Hope your fans don't give ya a hard time for that or anythin'."

"Exactly! I'm all alone now."
"I have to carry both of their torches with me."
"It's difficult, but also gets me fired up!"

Exie shed a single tear as she struck a pose, then recoiled in shock.

"Oh no, my makeup!"
"I can't go on stage like this."

She rushed outside, presumably heading to her dressing room. Kat stared at the door swinging shut behind her, then turned to address Pat.

"Honestly? She's probably happy Endea - that's her sister - quit."
"Endea was always the one with a bright future."
"After leaving the idol business she became an entrepreneur, and is now doing very well for herself."
"I think Exie was always a little jealous of her."
"She's probably happy she gets to stand out as an idol by herself."
"Even then, Endea's success is a sore spot for Exie. Best not bring it up around her."

Before anyone could respond, the door slammed open as Exie boisterously returned.

"All better!"
"Phew, I need to get a better handle on my feelings..."
"Then again, that's what the X-atics love about me!"

Southern Corn wrote:
Talking with Charlie, he asked, "So how long have ya been at this for, huh bud? You like fixin' stuff or do ya do it for the pay?" While his words might have seemed pointed, his tone seemed rather friendly.

"Er..."

For some reason Charlie looked quite thrown by the harmless questions.

"I've been doing this for a few years now, I suppose."
"Mainly for the money, though."
"Without money, I can't be a happy cog in the great machine of society!"
"I've had all kinds of jobs over the years."
"How about you? You strike me as a worldly fella."

Happy Maria

Pat gave Exie and Kat a concerned look but decided not to press it much further after what Kat said.

Going back to his conversation with Charlie, he happily shrugged. "Me? I'm just the local postman in my town. I've had this job for, say... a few decades now?" His smile didn't break but seemed a little forced somehow. "It's nothin' special, but it pays the bill and it's enough to keep me goin'. Never considered switchin' my jobs, though. Lets you have a lotta opportunities to talk with other people. Maybe a few dog bites along the way too, but once you get on their good side you don't have to endure it as much", he guffawed. "Anyhow, is there anythin' else you're good at? Man like you, havin' all kindsa jobs... Am I correct in guessin' you're one o' 'em 'jack of all trades' guys?"

Shy guy

"Even if it's just your local area, you'll have travelled all around it!"
"That's nice in its own way."

"I, er, guess you could call me a jack-of-all-trades, sure?"
"I've certainly done all kinds of work before!"
"Especially manual labour."
"I used to be a bodyguard! And other times I've been the guy who has to beat up unruly customers."
"...Come to think of it, a lot of my past jobs are variations on 'beat up annoying people'."
"So I guess being a technician is a neat change!"

Sock

KamiPanda wrote:
"I have a well-paying, steady job!"
"What makes you think otherwise?"
"It's how I afforded all this cool technician gear!"

Charlie took the proffered gumball, placed it on the pitch and then had some of the plastic players kick it about.

"Nice one! Quick thinking, there."
"You're probably onto something with that monetization idea."
"A game like this would be pretty popular, I'm sure!"

"Was just a feeling, that's all. Lots of people could always use a little more money. But if you're good, then you're good."

Light closely eyes the man playing with the new "ball" without bothering to ask if he could play himself. He didn't seem like he wanted to play, anyways.

Listening in on him and Pat talk, Light nodded slowly. "There's no shame in that kind of work, eh?" He smiles and flexes one of his arms. "Though there's nothing wrong with a change of pace. There's... less savory ways of earning money." Light scratches his chin a little awkwardly.

It might've seemed like he had something else to say, but after remembering that he's dead and nobody will remember this happening, he quickly gives up.

The American Dream

KamiPanda wrote:

"I used to be a bodyguard! And other times I've been the guy who has to beat up unruly customers."
"...Come to think of it, a lot of my past jobs are variations on 'beat up annoying people'."

"So would you say you're capable in a fight, then?" Maria asked. "I cannot imagine you would have been hired for such jobs if you weren't. Who's the toughest person you have ever had to take on?"

Happy Maria

KamiPanda wrote:
"Even if it's just your local area, you'll have travelled all around it!"
"That's nice in its own way."

"I, er, guess you could call me a jack-of-all-trades, sure?"
"I've certainly done all kinds of work before!"
"Especially manual labour."

"Sure have! Y'could say I know it like the back o' my hand", Pat commented proudly. "Bodyguard though, huh? Ya ever been a bouncer? Didn't take ya for that type. You're a strong 'un, eh? Do you ever feel bad havin' to beat up those poor saps, though? Seems like a tough job if you're the sensitive type."

Shy guy

Kachu wrote:
Listening in on him and Pat talk, Light nodded slowly. "There's no shame in that kind of work, eh?" He smiles and flexes one of his arms. "Though there's nothing wrong with a change of pace. There's... less savory ways of earning money." Light scratches his chin a little awkwardly.

Southern Corn wrote:
"Sure have! Y'could say I know it like the back o' my hand", Pat commented proudly. "Bodyguard though, huh? Ya ever been a bouncer? Didn't take ya for that type. You're a strong 'un, eh? Do you ever feel bad havin' to beat up those poor saps, though? Seems like a tough job if you're the sensitive type."

"You have to set your own boundaries, that's for sure."
"Unsavoury to one person is fair game to another."
"People I beat up usually deserve it."
"I set my limits, and make sure anyone employing me understands that."

WinterCoat wrote:
"So would you say you're capable in a fight, then?" Maria asked. "I cannot imagine you would have been hired for such jobs if you weren't. Who's the toughest person you have ever had to take on?"

"You guys sure like this topic!"
"I didn't expect to find a bunch of fun people like you in a place like this."
"Thought I'd be meeting 'et tu, Romeo?' types and the like."

"Let's see... There was this ex-cop once, really scary fella."
"He'd cobbled together some kind of reinforced metal bat."
"My leg's never really been the same since, to be honest..."
"We got to know each other a few years later, when we ended up working together."
"Pretty swell dude! Still terrifying though."

BEECH

"Oh jeebs!!! I can relate to that, sometimes I have to beat up customers as well..." GUNS said with no further explanation.

"Pretty cool that you guys could end up gettin' along!!"

KamiPanda wrote:
Franzise Deauxnim wrote:
All but totally ignoring the idol, Mai waltzed on over to the other living woman in the room and inclined her head. "Hey there, Kat, name's Mai, nice to meet you!" she beamed. "So what's your story? Always wanted to run a place like this? Ever thought of being an idol yourself? You have the looks for it, you know~"

Kat winced a little at the barrage of questions.

"I'm flattered, really, but I'm not that big of a deal."
"I just try to earn enough to keep my family fed."
"Managing this place isn't easy, but it pays... reasonably well."
"We don't just do idol concerts, you know. There's all kinds of performances or exhibitions people want to put on."

She took a drag while gazing at Mai analytically.

"You strike me as someone who might be in that line of work."
"An actress, perhaps? Model? Some kind of celebrity, certainly."
"You'll have to excuse me if I don't recognise you, Mai. It's normally my business to be up to date with these things."
"Not from around here?"

"Ohh, good eye!" Mai clapped her hands once. "Yes, yes, I'm a model... well, one on the rise, at least. I'm sure if you haven't heard of me yet, you will soon~

"Anyway, working here for the money, huh?" she asked, quickly redirecting the conversation. "There's gotta be more to it, right? I mean, there's so many ways to make money, less stressful ones, you know..."

"...You can get a job where you just beat up other people?" Kris asked, sounding a bit upset. "That's terrible! How uncouth!"

She clutched her crucifix a little tighter than usual.

Shy guy

Franzise Deauxnim wrote:
"Ohh, good eye!" Mai clapped her hands once. "Yes, yes, I'm a model... well, one on the rise, at least. I'm sure if you haven't heard of me yet, you will soon~

"Anyway, working here for the money, huh?" she asked, quickly redirecting the conversation. "There's gotta be more to it, right? I mean, there's so many ways to make money, less stressful ones, you know..."

Joker wrote:
"...You can get a job where you just beat up other people?" Kris asked, sounding a bit upset. "That's terrible! How uncouth!"

She clutched her crucifix a little tighter than usual.

Kat indicated to Kris with a hand motion while addressing Mai.

"Bluebell here sorta proves my point."
"Some people just have to do their jobs, even if they aren't all that great."
"I suppose there's some meaning to all this, though."
"I'm my own boss, and wouldn't have that any other way."

"Maybe some years ago I did it out of a love for the arts."
"Stay in this business long enough though, and you become disillusioned."
"...Well, saying that, I do still enjoy watching some of the performances."

Her eyes focused elsewhere on the middle distance, as she smoked thoughtfully.

Shy guy

After some time, the room around them started to fade to black. Focus shifted, and the group found themselves abruptly in another location entirely.

Free Time, Part 2

Time: 19:45

It was quite a nice café. It seemed the sort of place that didn't get many customers, but happily made enough money to get on by. Light headed outside, and saw what must have been the Venus House of Arts nearby. He got the feeling he wouldn't be able to move that far away from the café though.

There was only one employee manning the place. He gave the newcomers a bright smile upon their arrival.

"Hey, welcome! Wow, we don't normally get a crowd this big! Can I get you anything? Tea, coffee, hot chocolate? We've got plenty of snacks too, take your time choosing. You here for the concert? Lucky! I have to work here still. Though, I still get to go see a show a few times a week so really I can't complain. I hope you all enjoy!"

The deluge of words all came out in just a few seconds. The few customers already there paid him no mind, so were probably used to it.

"Greetings."
"Don't mind me, I will keep working even should you choose to converse with me."
"I am adept at multitasking."

"...tch."
"Keep to yourselves and we won't have a problem here."

The two were pretty notable in their own ways, one of course being Endea Thurman, Exie's twin, and the other giving off such strong 'don't come near me' vibes that it was a wonder everyone else at the café was so calm. Yet, somehow, the third customer was the one who stood out most to the dead visitors.

[Theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yIP02jvUxE]

"Hey! Nice meetin' ya."
"The name's Promethea Creed."
"You guys look a little lost. Maybe you're like me?"
"I'm only here because a friend dragged me along. No real interest in the show."
"It starts pretty soon. Any real fan would be inside already."

She was a punk with a wild, red mohawk. Every part of her outfit seemed designed to be a middle finger to the person seeing it, yet the blazing fire in her eyes seemed surprisingly honest. It was that look in her eyes which set her aside from the other three, though it wasn't yet clear why.

[Promethea Creed: https://i.imgur.com/dhfyFLF.jpg]

The group took another look at the three in question. The barista was a cheery, somewhat manic fellow with a gaudy fashion sense. His nametag read "Barry Star".

[Barry Star: https://i.imgur.com/adNiMym.png]

Endea was the splitting image of her twin, yet seemed a polar opposite in just about every other way. She was dressed in a smart business suit, and was currently typing away at a laptop. She was probably doing some work, even though it was already well outside normal working hours. Her eyes had only briefly left the screen to coolly assess the new arrivals, before returning to focus on the spreadsheet she was formatting.

[Endea Thurman: https://i.imgur.com/ZJin2tu.png]

The final customer hadn't bothered introducing himself, and kept his attention on his phone. His outfit was both sharp and intimidating, and those who'd been looking when he spoke could have sworn his teeth were pointed.

[Arrogant man: https://i.imgur.com/7lamemh.png]

Happy Maria

Pat didn't seem to like the look of the unsavory looking man with fangs(?) at all. "He did it", he whispered to the others. "My money's on him for sure."

"Hey, pal," He said, going towards Barry. "You, uh, sure got an outfit there. Is that a bag, on your back? Sure has a unique design."

Remembering that he was at a cafe, he decided to order something for himself. Sure, he was a ghost, but he wanted to see whether he could still consume food and drink. "Uh, one glass of coffee for me", he decided. Might as well go with something simple for now.

"So, you're Exie's sis, huh?" He asked Endea. "We met your sister just a while back. You're similar but... different at the same time. Are you gonna see her perform at her concert soon?"

BEECH

"Aww, come on, Pat! You shouldn't be so quick to judge!! I have a friend just like this guy, he wouldn't hurt a fly!" GUNS "whispered" back. She then turned to the people in the cafe.

"WOW!! I just love your 'fits!!!! It's always the small cafes that have the people with the most awesome looks."

"Also, epic choice for a pop of color, dude! More people should wear neon green regularly, I think!!" She said addressing the most intimidating guy.

"OOOH are we orderin' drinks?? I'd like a sodie-pop pleaase!"

The American Dream

Southern Corn wrote:
Pat didn't seem to like the look of the unsavory looking man with fangs(?) at all. "He did it", he whispered to the others. "My money's on him for sure."

Maria nodded and whispered back, "I would also put money on that, but let us see what happens." It seemed that she was also not fond of the shady man. That said, she still went over to talk to him.

"You there, sir!" she shouted and pointed at him. "...why are your teeth so sharp?"

Shy guy

Southern Corn wrote:
"Hey, pal," He said, going towards Barry. "You, uh, sure got an outfit there. Is that a bag, on your back? Sure has a unique design."

Remembering that he was at a cafe, he decided to order something for himself. Sure, he was a ghost, but he wanted to see whether he could still consume food and drink. "Uh, one glass of coffee for me", he decided. Might as well go with something simple for now.

"You mean this? It's my jacket! Cool, right? I keep this place nice and warm for the customers though, so I don't wear it indoors. It would be a shame to put it away though. What's the point of awesome clothes if you can't wear them? So I like to keep it around my shoulders like this. Milk, sugar?"

Barry had prepared Pat's order while yapping away, and threw out the last question without pausing for breath.

Southern Corn wrote:
"So, you're Exie's sis, huh?" He asked Endea. "We met your sister just a while back. You're similar but... different at the same time. Are you gonna see her perform at her concert soon?"

"Different. That's right, we are rather different."
"I am not here to see her perform."
"She invited me to visit after the show is over."
"I decided to get here early to avoid being late."
"I can work from my laptop, so it matters not where I am."

She took a quick sip from her coffee. Completely black, from the looks of it.

NIKI_4829 wrote:
"Aww, come on, Pat! You shouldn't be so quick to judge!! I have a friend just like this guy, he wouldn't hurt a fly!" GUNS "whispered" back. She then turned to the people in the cafe.

"WOW!! I just love your 'fits!!!! It's always the small cafes that have the people with the most awesome looks."

"Also, epic choice for a pop of color, dude! More people should wear neon green regularly, I think!!" She said addressing the most intimidating guy.

"OOOH are we orderin' drinks?? I'd like a sodie-pop pleaase!"

"Good eye, good eye! That tie of his is outstanding! I wish I could pull off a look like that."

The bespectacled man merely snarled at Barry and GUNS. Barry shrugged unconcernedly and literally tossed the requested drink to GUNS.

WinterCoat wrote:
Maria nodded and whispered back, "I would also put money on that, but let us see what happens." It seemed that she was also not fond of the shady man. That said, she still went over to talk to him.

"You there, sir!" she shouted and pointed at him. "...why are your teeth so sharp?"

"...Do you really not know who I am?"
"Stay outta my business if you don't want trouble."

The American Dream

KamiPanda wrote:
WinterCoat wrote:

"...Do you really not know who I am?"
"Stay outta my business if you don't want trouble."

"Such a poor attempt at being threatening will not work on me, my friend!" She drew her sword. "I am not afraid to force answers out of you! Now, tell me the secret of your teeth -- and, while you're at it, your name would be nice to know!"

Shy guy

WinterCoat wrote:
"Such a poor attempt at being threatening will not work on me, my friend!" She drew her sword. "I am not afraid to force answers out of you! Now, tell me the secret of your teeth -- and, while you're at it, your name would be nice to know!"

"Don Carcharo."
"Even a nimwit like you should know what that means."

The man grinned, seeming to think just uttering this name would get Maria to back down. He still didn't answer her question about his teeth.

The American Dream

KamiPanda wrote:
"Don Carcharo."

The man grinned, seeming to think just uttering this name would get Maria to back down. He still didn't answer her question about his teeth.

"...your name means nothing to me, my friend! Now, tell me the meaning behind your teeth! Do you sharpen them? File them?" Maria pointed her sword at Don. "Are you some unholy creature, such as a vampire, or even one of demonic origin? You would not be the first I have encountered, Donny!"

BEECH

KamiPanda wrote:
"Good eye, good eye! That tie of his is outstanding! I wish I could pull off a look like that."

The bespectacled man merely snarled at Barry and GUNS. Barry shrugged unconcernedly and literally tossed the requested drink to GUNS.

"Thank youuuuu!! I'm sure you could pull off something like that! Most of the time you just gotta have the right attitude..." GUNS crossed her arms and winked. But no one could tell.

KamiPanda wrote:
"Don Carcharo."

"Don....? Are you, like, famous? OMG are you an idol too?! Also yeah I would love to have sharp teeth like that, what's your secret?!?!" She asked before attempting to drink her soda in under 3 seconds, just to see what would happen.

Shy guy

WinterCoat wrote:
"...your name means nothing to me, my friend! Now, tell me the meaning behind your teeth! Do you sharpen them? File them?" Maria pointed her sword at Don. "Are you some unholy creature, such as a vampire, or even one of demonic origin? You would not be the first I have encountered, Donny!"

"Jeez, little girl, you must not be from around here."
"Which planet do you come from? You a tourist, here to visit little old Earth?"
"Listen up, and learn it well! I'm the head of the Carcharo Group!"

"They're a crime syndicate."

"Hey now, we're a legitimate business!"

"Says the loan shark."

"Handling loans ain't a crime, kid. Shut it!"
"As for you, sword girl, you've got some funny ideas in your head about what I am."
"But let me tell you, truth is, I'm far worse than any of them!"

He very specifically ignored everything GUNS had just said.

NIKI_4829 wrote:
"Thank youuuuu!! I'm sure you could pull off something like that! Most of the time you just gotta have the right attitude..." GUNS crossed her arms and winked. But no one could tell.

"Hey, thanks! You're right, it's all about the attitude. I thought I already knew that, but sometimes you just gotta get a fresh kick to the head, you know?"

He proceeded to cheer GUNS on as she tried to chug the soda.

The American Dream

KamiPanda wrote:
"Jeez, little girl, you must not be from around here."
"Which planet do you come from? You a tourist, here to visit little old Earth?"
"Listen up, and learn it well! I'm the head of the Carcharo Group!"

"They're a crime syndicate."

"Hey now, we're a legitimate business!"

"Says the loan shark."

"Handling loans ain't a crime, kid. Shut it!"
"As for you, sword girl, you've got some funny ideas in your head about what I am."
"But let me tell you, truth is, I'm far worse than any of them!"

"Aha! A loan shark! That explains your sharp teeth!" Maria reasoned as she sheathed her blade, satisfied with that conclusion.

("Carcharo Group... good to know.")

"Well, in that case, what are you doing hanging around here? Don't you have some hustling to do, little boy?"

Shy guy

WinterCoat wrote:
"Aha! A loan shark! That explains your sharp teeth!" Maria reasoned as she sheathed her blade, satisfied with that conclusion.

("Carcharo Group... good to know.")

"Well, in that case, what are you doing hanging around here? Don't you have some hustling to do, little boy?"

"What part of 'mind your own business' don't ya understand?"
"Earth-speak ain't your first language?"
"I oughta warn you, you're wearing a pretty distinctive fancy-dress costume there."
"Makes you real easy to find."

"Don't make me call the cops, fuck-head."

"What would they charge me with?"
"It's a legitimate warning I'm giving out of the warmth of my heart!"
"Tch, lawyers. You guys're the real 'crime syndicate' in my book."

"Err... Anyone want some cakes? They always cheer me right up!"

Happy Maria

Pat nodded in affirmation. "That sure is a cool jacket. Just milk, please", he added. He seemed a bit disgruntled by Don but tried not to acknowledge him. It was clear he thought ill of the man, though.

"So you're not gonna see your sister play?" He asked Endea, raising an eyebrow. "Are you busy or just not interested?"

The American Dream

KamiPanda wrote:
"What part of 'mind your own business' don't ya understand?"
"Earth-speak ain't your first language?"
"I oughta warn you, you're wearing a pretty distinctive fancy-dress costume there."
"Makes you real easy to find."

Maria let out a hearty chuckle. "You are something, Donny-boy! I already made it clear that your thinly-veiled threats won't work on me." She put her hands on her hips and struck a pose. "Of course I'm easy to find and identifiable -- I like the enemies of justice and freedom knowing who took them down before their lights go out for good."

"Oh FUCK yes, finally I can get something that's not instant coffee." Edgar scored a three point shot by tossing his mug in a trash can before sitting down at the counter, making himself at home by spreading his papers on top of it. He then plopped a fat wallet stained with ink on top. "Listen, I don't have the energy to write and worry about money at the same time so just take whatever you want, so long as it keeps the coffee coming. Black."

BEECH

WinterCoat wrote:
Maria let out a hearty chuckle. "You are something, Donny-boy! I already made it clear that your thinly-veiled threats won't work on me." She put her hands on her hips and struck a pose. "Of course I'm easy to find and identifiable -- I like the enemies of justice and freedom knowing who took them down before their lights go out for good."

"Maybe YOU should be careful, Don!! This lady has a REAL sword AND is wearing a leotard, the most dangerous of fashion statements!!" GUNS said after successfully chugging the soda, surprised it didn't go through her or anything SCARY like that.

Shy guy

WinterCoat wrote:

NIKI_4829 wrote:
"Maybe YOU should be careful, Don!! This lady has a REAL sword AND is wearing a leotard, the most dangerous of fashion statements!!" GUNS said after successfully chugging the soda, surprised it didn't go through her or anything SCARY like that.

"A real nutcase, ain'tcha? Both of ya."
"Hey, lawyer girl, she's carrying a REAL sword!"
"Ain't that the criminal offense?"

"Hey, swords are rad!"

"Bah, you people are insufferable!"

Southern Corn wrote:
Pat nodded in affirmation. "That sure is a cool jacket. Just milk, please", he added. He seemed a bit disgruntled by Don but tried not to acknowledge him. It was clear he thought ill of the man, though.

DootDootDoot wrote:
"Oh FUCK yes, finally I can get something that's not instant coffee." Edgar scored a three point shot by tossing his mug in a trash can before sitting down at the counter, making himself at home by spreading his papers on top of it. He then plopped a fat wallet stained with ink on top. "Listen, I don't have the energy to write and worry about money at the same time so just take whatever you want, so long as it keeps the coffee coming. Black."

"Right on!"

He quickly finished up Pat's drink, then filled up an entire mug with espresso shots for Edgar. He slid it over with a conspiratorial wink.

"You strike me as a man who can appreciate the finer things!"

Southern Corn wrote:
"So you're not gonna see your sister play?" He asked Endea, raising an eyebrow. "Are you busy or just not interested?"

"The latter."
"Don't let her persona fool you, my sister is a callous woman."
"I do not trust her, and have no interest in watching a manufactured performance."

"O, what a terrible thing to say about X! You'd make all the X-atics and O-tees alike cry! You used to be so close, too..."

"We were never truly close."
"If it looked that way from the outside, it was only because Lucksy bridged the gap between us."
"After she died in that accident, the bridge died with her."
"Now the chasm between us is apparent to all."

Endea's blunt words clearly shocked Barry, who looked quite upset now.

Happy Maria

Pat was about to sip his drink and see how it would affect him as a ghost but then he heard Endea's blunt remarks. "What's this now? Lucksy? Was that somebody else who performed with you two? And what's this about dyin' in an accident?" He frowned.

Shy guy

[I misspoke, Lucksy didn't die in an accident. I must have gotten confused with an AA case.]

"It used to be a group."
"The three of us."
"Lucy Warner - 'Lucksy' - balancing us sisters."
"But then... 2 years ago, during a blackout at the venue, she died of a heart attack."

"It was horrible! Lucksy was a gentle girl, sure, but strong too! I can't believe something like that happened to her..."

"Yes. It was a terrible shock to us all."
"I had already been considering leaving the idol business."
"Idols do not typically have promising long-term prospects."
"But that incident was what finally pushed me away."

KamiPanda wrote:

"Err... Anyone want some cakes? They always cheer me right up!"

"Ooh, I'll take one!" Kris exclaimed happily. "May I please get a hot chocolate with that as well?"

TV-Head hides behind a booth far away from the others. Perhaps they are scared that their bad-cop routine won't play too well with this crowd.

After a while, TV-Head flops from their hiding spot and clears their throat, facing Promethea, "Where's the friend who dragged you here? I mean, you can say you're not an X-atic, but I am notoriously quite good at spotting fandom-related lies."

Shy guy

Joker wrote:
"Ooh, I'll take one!" Kris exclaimed happily. "May I please get a hot chocolate with that as well?"

Barry wiped his tears, thankful for the change of topic.

"Sure, sure! We always got room for people with sweet-tooths at Star★Café! Oh, but don't worry O, we've got plenty of room for people who prefer subtle, bitter flavours too!"

"I am lactose intolerant."
"My preference from black coffee stems from need, not want."
"That said, I've grown accustomed to it."

"A new O fact?? I need to write this down! Then later share it on the forum, and put it on the wiki, and tell all my friends, and"

He kept babbling as he prepared Kris's order. The hot chocolate had marshmallows in it, though she hadn't specified. He slid both over once they were ready, which didn't take very long at all. He was very fast.

Doctor Nanjo wrote:
After a while, TV-Head flops from their hiding spot and clears their throat, facing Promethea, "Where's the friend who dragged you here? I mean, you can say you're not an X-atic, but I am notoriously quite good at spotting fandom-related lies."

"A challenge?"

Promethea slammed her hands onto the table in front of her, palms down.

"The show starts in just 15 minutes."
"It sounds like you didn't know, so I was right earlier about you lot."
"A real fan, like my friend, would be in there already!"
"But I... prioritised getting some coffee first!"
"What do you make of that?"

Shy guy

Investigation

Just as before, after some 'time' had passed, the café faded to black. What followed was like a slideshow of scenes from the concert hall, as the group was brought step-by-step to a time after the murder. Kat and Promethea could be seen watching from off-stage and the crowd, respectively.

Spoiler: The Show
At 20:00, the show began. Exie and a collection of lesser-known idols took to the stage to perform for the raucous crowd.

Exie lost herself to the performance, getting really into it. Apparently this was the norm for her. Her movements on stage became increasingly reckless, culminating in her chucking a prop at the ceiling in her excitement. By some stroke of misfortune, the prop hit a stage light, which became detached from its supports. It fell with a crash onto the stage, hard enough to punch right through it and leave a large hole, scattering all the idols as they ran screaming. The crowd cheered: apparently this, too, was a relatively normal occurrence at an Exie concert. The show had to be paused while the damage was repaired, leaving an embarrassed Exie and the shocked lesser idols to wait backstage for a while.

Once the show resumed, Exie looked like she was trying to keep more of a handle on things to avoid a repeat. A little later however there was another interruption: a blackout. It was hard to make out anything happening over the commotion being made by everyone.

The next, and last, scene was from a totally different perspective, after power had been restored. It was now 21:19. They were now backstage, following a police detective flanked by officers as he headed for the main dressing room. Endea and Kat were outside the door, looking pale. The detective nodded to them, then pushed inside the room.

Inside, just as the police call had said, was a body. The limp form of Don Carcharo.

After this, the limbo period began as before. The dead were able to follow the perspectives of different investigators, and could somehow switch back and forth between them at will.

Spoiler: Investigation Start
"Finally got what was coming to you, eh, Don?"

"Sir! You can't say that!"
"...Can you?"

"He was a mobster. No-one who matters will miss him."

"Fair enough."
"Haha, loser!"

The detective, whose name was Bobby, sighed. Ella was, somehow, the most senior officer there other than him, and was usually assigned to assist him on investigations. He still hadn't worked out which higher-up he'd angered to earn this.

He was a scruffy, gloomy-looking fellow, smoking a cigarette even though he probably shouldn't. He'd seen Kat smoking outside though, so he had an excuse. He ignored the dead observers, treating them as if they somehow had the right to intrude upon a crime scene. Possibly he perceived them as additional officers.

[Bobby: https://i.imgur.com/qOreG02.jpg]

Ella meanwhile was dressed more like an actual officer... sort of. Really, it was a wonder she was allowed to dress like that on duty. Judging by the donut she was happily eating at the scene of a murder, she was the sort of person who lived life at her own pace and somehow got away with it.

[Ella: https://i.imgur.com/ZM4EZR0.png]

Spoiler: Bobby's Perspective
Bobby soon found an excuse to send Ella elsewhere, leaving him to investigate the scene and question the witnesses in peace.

Don's body had been taken away for autopsy, leaving a tape outline in his place. Bobby took a long look around the dressing room, taking it all in. This was the dressing room Exie, as lead idol, used. She was the only one with a key to the door, which should have been kept locked.

The dead also began exploring. The room around them was fairly standard for its kind, yet apparently it was the best in the venue. There was a large, three-segment mirror over a table. Upon the table were a sad, dry, neglected vase of flowers, a few cards from fans and a hefty amount of make-up. There were a few pictures on the walls, a couple of chairs around the place, and a clothing rack for Exie's one-of-a-kind outfits.

GUNS, who was skating eagerly around the room, searching for clues, tripped over something and went sprawling. That something was a very out-of-place object: a metal pipe segment. It looked clean, and no-one remembered Don having been notably bleeding anywhere.

There wasn't much else to find, and Bobby realised as much. He left the room to go talk with the two women outside.

"So, Katherine, you own this dump?"

"You sweet-talk everyone this way, or just me?"

"*sigh* Look, I just need to collect a statement, then you can be on your way."

"Yeah, this is my place."
"I try to run things as best I can."
"I was there watching the show earlier."

"Ah, before that, what can you tell me about Exie's actions leading up to the show?"

"Exie? Well, she arrived at the venue earlier in the day."
"Later went to her dressing room with the make-up artist to prepare."
"Changing into her outfit and all that."
"She was accompanied just about all the while, if you want to confirm it with people."
"Why, suspect her or something?"

"She's a person of interest."

"Wouldn't put it past her to do something like this."
"She looks bright on stage, but she's got a pretty shitty attitude beneath all that glamour and make-up."
"A diva through and through."

"And what makes you say that, Katherine?"

"I've worked alongside her for years now, I'd have to be blind not to have seen it."
"You know, just a week or so ago I heard her acting up while passing by the dressing room."
"Her make-up artist had found that she'd gone and surgically removed her mole."
"Exie was trying to hide it with make-up, but obviously she couldn't fool a professional."

"Don't give me that look, detective. It might not sound like a big deal to you, but an idol's image is everything."
"That mole was one of her defining traits. Part of her 'charm'. The fans would be devastated to learn she'd removed it."
"Yet she was talking about how she'd planned to do a 'surprise reveal' on stage, showing off her new look."
"She couldn't see how much of a slap to the face that would be to all her fans."
"She only thinks of herself."

"...I see. Well, uh, back to what you were saying earlier."
"You watched the performance?"

"Sure. Making sure things ran smoothly."
"Which, of course, they didn't."
"Exie just had to go and make a mess of things as usual."
"She might have been embarrassed, sure, but not remorseful."
"No concern for everyone she'd just inconvenienced."

"I sent out a call to every technician in the building to come fix things."
"I wanted the show back up and running as soon as possible."
"Exie's performance afterwards was... stilted, though."
"Still embarrassed, maybe. She was much calmer than usual."
"I suppose she didn't want to break something else too."

"Then... the damn blackout."
"I waited a short while, hoping it'd be fixed, to no avail."
"I got a bad feeling about it and headed backstage."
"I headed here, to this dressing room, and inside..."

"You saw the body."

"I saw the body, and Endea next to it, phoning the police."

Bobby nodded, satisfied, and turned to address Endea.

"So, what's your story? Not a good look for you."
"Wouldn't be the first murderer to call the cops to try and look innocent."

"I did not kill him. I found him here, and did my civic duty."

"Yeah, sure. Why come here in the first place?"

"My sister invited me to visit after the show."
"I was told to wait in the dressing room at 21:15."
"My old keycard is still valid. They must have never deactivated it."
"I used it to enter via the back door."
"The lights were all off, but that was no reason to stop. I used my phone light to navigate."

"I proceeded to the dressing room, where I was to meet Exie."
"I entered at exactly 21:15, only to find someone collapsed inside."
"When I went to help, I heard someone run out of the room. They must have been hiding inside."
"I did not see them. I chose to stay and help the prone man, but... It was too late."
"I called the police immediately. Kat entered at that point."

"There was someone already in there?"
"Yikes. Must've been the killer. You're lucky they didn't attack you too."
"How're you so sure about the time, anyway?"

Endea flashed her wrist at him. She was wearing the latest model of smart watch, and it was currently displaying the time.

"This wonderful device allows me to perfectly schedule my activities."
"Among other uses."
"It's really very convenient."
"I can wholeheartedly suggest getting one."

"Er... Sure, yeah, uh, thanks for the recommendation..."

Just then, an officer came running up to Bobby. "Sir, we've found a suspicious person!" Exie was in tow behind him, flanked by two more officers. "She was hiding in the office." Bobby nodded, unsurprised.

"Take her down to the station for questioning."
"The vic was found in her dressing room, and she's the only one with a key to its lock."

Spoiler: Ella's Perspective
In an effort to track Don's movements, Ella had been sent to the café to collect Barry's testimony.

"These donuts are amazing!"
"Seriously, I could eat these all day!"

"Hey, thanks! I have a personal supplier. I can't settle for anything but the best! She uses an old family recipe, updated for modern ingredients and techniques. Or so she tells me. She doesn't let anyone see inside the kitchen, because she doesn't want anyone to discover her secret! She could be summoning them from magic circles for all I know."

"It would explain the flavour!"
"They're soooo delish!"

...Eventually, Ella actually did her job.

"So you saw that loser- uh, the victim, here earlier?"

"Yeah, along with O. And some woman with awesome red hair!"

"Oh, that rude lawyer was here too?"
"Yeah we know about her, her alibi's solid."
"Just tell me about the other two, please!"

"Let's see... O, er, Endea got here at exactly 19:00. She's punctual like that. The other guy got here some time later, maybe 19:37 or so. Endea left to go for a walk afterwards, at exactly 20:40. She returned at exactly 21:00 to buy a quick snack. Don left barely a minute later, then Endea headed out again at exactly 21:10."

Ella nodded absently, playing a game on her phone.

"Sure, sure."
"Could I ask you to write that all down for me, please?"
"Oh, and I'd like to order another donut!"

Spoiler: Promethea's Perspective
Promethea pushed past the police backstage to reach the crime scene. She wasn't supposed to be there, but sheer force of will usually made up for that, at least for a while.

"Oh. You again. You sure you're not cursed?"
"People seem to keep dying around you."

"You scared? We seem to keep meeting like this."
"Maybe you'll be next, if I really am cursed."

"Har har."
"I know why you're here, but I'm not letting you in the crime scene."
"We only just arrested our suspect, you can't have become her representative already."

"You've already arrested someone? Who?"

"*sigh* I suppose you'll find out eventually. Exie Thurman."
"You know the rules. No entry unless you're official."

"Hpmh! There's plenty to find elsewhere, just you wait!"

She'd go down to the station later. First she wanted to explore the backstage area a bit. She headed in the direction of the venue's rear entrance, and the dead followed. Near the entrance was what remained of a vending machine, after it had been completely taken apart for some reason.

TV Head heard someone muttering nearby, and loudly pushed open the door to a nearby janitor's closet. The police officer inside jumped in surprise. "Oh! Hey, don't scare me like- Why are you wearing a TV? Never mind. Look, I'm busy here, please don't bother me. The fusebox is in here. It's been damaged, we're thinking someone sabotaged it. It would explain the blackout. I've got the details written down here: if I give you this, will you leave me alone? I need to analyse the damage."

TV Head triumphantly took the note and returned to the others.

After this, Promethea went the other way down the corridor and eventually arrived at the staff lounge. Inside she found Charlie Bolton, who probably had to stay put while the investigation was still ongoing. He looked happy to have someone to talk to.

"Howdy! Oh hey, are you a plain-clothes cop?"

"Er, no mate, I'm a lawyer."

"Oh. Oh no. I'm not supposed to talk to lawyers..."

"Did I say lawyer? I meant... toyer. I, er, make toys."

"Oh, that's alright then!"
"What a cool job you have!"

"Heh, thanks!"
"So you were here during the incident?"
"Just, er, you know, making conversation."

"Sure! I was working on the vending machine out there in the corridor."
"I tried to buy a drink from it earlier, but it just stole my money instead."
"I believe in the utmost importance of a customer receiving the product or service they paid for."
"The economy needs to function correctly for society to work right!"
"So I spent a bunch of time doing that."

"Yeah I... saw your handiwork earlier, I think."

"It was a harder job than I'd expected..."
"This whole backstage area is in a pretty sorry state, honestly."
"Makes me wonder if the building's even had a proper inspection recently."
"Even if I did fix the vending machine, it'd only be a small part of the problem."

"Yeah, what with the blackout and all. Place is a tip."

"I'm the one who fixed that, you know! The fusebox, I mean."
"When the blackout happened I was right near it, so I figured it was worth a try."
"Took a few minutes, but I got the power back on eventually."

"Nice one, dude!"
"Well, I got something to take care of, see you around."

After waving goodbye to Charlie, Promethea headed down to the station to meet her prospective client.

Exie looked far more subdued than usual, on the other side of the glass. She'd readily taken Promethea on as an attorney; apparently no-one else had been willing to.

"I don't really have much to say."
"After the blackout happened, I panicked."
"I remembered what happened to poor Lucksy, and thought, what if it's some kind of curse?"
"What if the building's haunted?"

"I ran backstage. I wanted to hide in my dressing room, but I heard someone moving around inside."
"Now I was even more scared, so I kept going and went inside the first room I could find."
"Turned out to be Kat's office. The cops found me there later, and called me suspicious..."
"But I swear, I didn't kill him! I'm not a killer!"

"Hey, it's cool, I believe you!"
"A lawyer should always believe in their client!"
"Now that you've officially taken me on, I can go investigate properly."
"I'll find something that proves you're innocent!"

"Thank you so, so much! I'll..."
"Well, I'll still be here. Can't really leave."
"Good luck! You've got an idol rooting for you, so I'm sure you'll win!"

Promethea grinned reassuringly, then hopped down from the visitor's stool she'd been crouching on. It was quite late in the day, and she didn't want to waste any investigation time. She headed straight back to the Venus House of Arts.

"Rep papers! Autopsy report, please."

"Yeah, yeah... These days I always get an extra copy printed."
"You're a real troublemaker, you know?"

"Nice! Thanks, mate."

The dead crowded around Promethea to look over her shoulder and read the report. The results were... unexpected.

"He drowned?"
"That wannabe gangster was in a dressing room, not a bathtub."

"His face was wet, and his lungs were filled with water."
"Seems like someone held his head underwater, the fiend!"

"An attempt to create an impossible murder?"
"Clearly the work of an amateur. There are restrooms down the hall, he was probably drowned there."

"Long distance to drag a body, though."
"Why even bother? Maybe the killer was jacked."

The group decided to go check out the restrooms regardless. They seemed to be the only source of water in the area; Mai half-jokingly suggested someone drowned him with drinks from the vending machine, but it turned out that even that only sold sugary drinks, and the autopsy report clearly stated it was water in Don's lungs.

The restrooms were pretty fancy. The taps were the automatic kind, only turning on when they detected movement underneath, and GUNS was amazed to find that the toilets talked to her.

"Hey, someone try sticking your head down one of these!"
"Someone other than me, I mean. That would be gross!"

Everyone except TV Head and Akari, who were excluded for obvious reasons, stared each other down as they prepared to play rock-paper-scissors to see who should do the honour. Then Pat suggested they simply measure his head with a piece of string and compare that instead. Everyone decided this was a better method.

As it turned out, it was impossible to fit someone's head all the way down the toilet. If Don drowned here, then it had to have been in one of the sinks.

From here, Bobby, Ella and Promethea could all be talked to, even though they were in different locations and at different times. This was a good opportunity to ask questions and consolidate all of the information, or just talk to the cool detective who only shows up during investigations.

Now was also the time for the players to decide which team they wanted to be on. Soon, the trial would begin.

[Please sort yourselves into two teams before the trial begins tomorrow. You can discuss on Discord to make it easier. There's 9 of you, so a 4-5 split is probably best. You're allowed to stay neutral if you'd prefer; I will assign any neutral players to teams as appropriate to get the numbers right. (This will also happen to anyone who doesn't respond before the deadline.)]

[Don't worry about recording evidence. I've already prepared a google sheet with all the details.]

Last edited by KamiPanda on Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

"So you're saying the victim drowned to death, right, officer... Robby." Edgar slammed back the last of the coffee he'd gotten from the cafe and uneasily shifted his weight from foot to foot as he waited for the cup to refill while he wasn't looking at it. Something seemed to amping him up somehow. "That's what this report says? That's right? I'm finding it rather up for interpretation. What if the water got in the victim's face or lungs post mortem? That's possible to plant, right? We could obfuscate the crime scene this way, even the method and time needed to kill..."

Happy Maria

[epic investigation music]

Pat seemed to be cursing his luck as he had been unable to try out the coffee Barry had given him earlier. Alas, he was now cooped up with MURDER INVESTIGATIONS and had to press on.

"The thing about the CoD I find hard to believe is how it was done. Ya need movement for the sink to work, right? That'd imply the victim was strugglin' while gettin' drowned in these sinks. But the man was a mobster!" He twirled his mustache in thought. "Ya can't overpower him that easily, especially if you're built like Exie is, right? And like we've already gone over, it's a strange way to kill somebody in the first place. I wouldn't expect someone like the defendant to beat him physically... Which is why I believe she's innocent!" He boldly declared, right off the bat. "I'll be defendin' her in the trial, I've decided. I'm not one to let a poor girl like that get unfairly accused of somethin' so preposterous."

Turning to Bobby, he decided to ask him some questions. "Say, officer, I could use some timestamps for when stuff happened. Mind giving us a full rundown of when things happened in what order? We still don't know when, say, the blackout happened and when it got fixed. Or when Exie threw a prop into a stagelight... Might be important, after all!"

Shy guy

DootDootDoot wrote:
"So you're saying the victim drowned to death, right, officer... Robby." Edgar slammed back the last of the coffee he'd gotten from the cafe and uneasily shifted his weight from foot to foot as he waited for the cup to refill while he wasn't looking at it. Something seemed to amping him up somehow. "That's what this report says? That's right? I'm finding it rather up for interpretation. What if the water got in the victim's face or lungs post mortem? That's possible to plant, right? We could obfuscate the crime scene this way, even the method and time needed to kill..."

Bobby shrugged unconcernedly.

"Hey, I didn't write it. They didn't find any other cause of death, though."

Southern Corn wrote:
"The thing about the CoD I find hard to believe is how it was done. Ya need movement for the sink to work, right? That'd imply the victim was strugglin' while gettin' drowned in these sinks. But the man was a mobster!" He twirled his mustache in thought. "Ya can't overpower him that easily, especially if you're built like Exie is, right? And like we've already gone over, it's a strange way to kill somebody in the first place. I wouldn't expect someone like the defendant to beat him physically... Which is why I believe she's innocent!" He boldly declared, right off the bat. "I'll be defendin' her in the trial, I've decided. I'm not one to let a poor girl like that get unfairly accused of somethin' so preposterous."

Turning to Bobby, he decided to ask him some questions. "Say, officer, I could use some timestamps for when stuff happened. Mind giving us a full rundown of when things happened in what order? We still don't know when, say, the blackout happened and when it got fixed. Or when Exie threw a prop into a stagelight... Might be important, after all!"

"We think he was disoriented by the darkness."
"Stranger things have happened."
"You say you'll be at the trial? You'll see she's got a very strong motive, then."
"Unlike everyone else here."

He then showed them a timeline the police had written up for the events.

19:00 Endea arrives at the cafe.
19:37 Don arrives at the cafe.
19:45 (Limbo period as players explore.)
20:00 Concert begins.
20:40 Endea leaves the cafe.
20:46 Exie accidentally breaks things.
20:58 Concert resumes.
21:00 Endea returns to the cafe.
21:01 Don leaves the cafe.
21:09 Blackout.
21:10 Endea leaves the cafe for a second time.
21:15 Endea reaches the dressing room.
21:17 Power is restored.
21:19 Police arrive.

The American Dream

“I will defend Exie!” Maria asserted by holding her sword up. “That is all I can say right now because I’m making a quick post. HYAH!”

ASCEND

It was difficult to tell if Akari was paying attention without any facial expressions to go off of, but she had been silent for a good while. She stood by the edge of the proceedings, watching like a wraith as the murder played out.

"Ah, now it's getting interesting," she eventually said. "Honestly, that gangster probably deserved it. Can't say I'm too upset. But guess it's Exie's fate we should be more concerned about."

"Exie doesn't strike me as a killer. Pretty sure she doesn't have the guts. Their case seems shaky too," Akari continued. "I'm planning to defend her. If she really did kill him, she'd better hope I don't make it back from here."

Akari drifted toward Promethia.

"I'm curious. At this point, who do you think killed him? Considering you're the defender and all."
Vesti and Lauren's Interdimensional Investigations
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

Page 3 of 15 [ 574 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next

Board index » Roleplay » Berry Big Circus