In Justice We Trust
Location: Southern California
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:31 pm
How it works: You take the word from the previous post and replace, remove, or add one letter.
Example sequence: Cat --> Hat --> Hate --> Rate --> Rite --> Site --> Sine --> Sin
- Your new word must be an actual word in the English language and must be spelled properly in the variety of English you speak (I spell it "color" while a user from England spells it "colour," for example). Proper spelling is just to prevent accidental (or intentional) cheating through a misspelled word. "Tab" can't be changed to "taby," for example.
- No proper nouns. A proper noun is anything that's normally capitalized in English even if it's not at the beginning of the sentence. Names are a common example. I feel the wide variety of proper nouns, especially when all the world's languages are taken into account, kills the challenge.
- No curse words and no derogatory terms. Offensive language varies from place to place, so if you just didn't know that the word you used was offensive on another player's end, you won't get in trouble unless I have sufficient reason to believe you actually did know of the word's offensive nature.
- No splitting words.
Things to avoid when possible:
- Repetition kind of kills the challenge. If I say "ball" and the next poster says "mall," you shouldn't say "ball" unless there are no other words you can think of. Give other players time to post, though, if you can't think of a word yourself.
- Slang words without non-slang alternative meanings should be avoided due to the large variety of regional and sub-culture slang words out there, to say nothing of the frequent lack of standardized spelling.
With that, I'll start us off with the last word in this post.