Board index » Roleplay » Berry Big Circus

Page 19 of 21[ 818 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Re: Ghost Fables ~ Living Thread Chapter 3Topic%20Title

Sock

"Just... what is going on here?" Agnes flutily asks. "How did... but...."

"How!?" Agnes began to shout, and turned to her family for answers, despite knowing she wouldn't get any. "Was Grandfather alive? But even then... Where is he?"

Shy guy

Verrier seemed pretty agitated by the discovery, and kept fruitlessly examining the room long after most of the others had stopped. "It can't have been him in the boiler... right? It wouldn't make any sense..." he mumbled to himself as he searched.

Kachu wrote:
"Just... what is going on here?" Agnes flutily asks. "How did... but...."

"How!?" Agnes began to shout, and turned to her family for answers, despite knowing she wouldn't get any. "Was Grandfather alive? But even then... Where is he?"

"No, no... Even if he were alive, there's no way out of the room. I placed the tape, right after we left too!" Ingrid shouted back. She was right there with Verrier still searching the room. "If someone got in through the window, they would still be hiding! Help me search, damn it!"

In a fit of mania, she even ripped apart the pillows that were in the bed. "... It's like Mia. The locks can be opened with the master keys, but the tape is infallible. Not just that, even if this entire island is conspiring against me, there's no way past the tape..."

Sock

KamiPanda wrote:
Verrier seemed pretty agitated by the discovery, and kept fruitlessly examining the room long after most of the others had stopped. "It can't have been him in the boiler... right? It wouldn't make any sense..." he mumbled to himself as he searched.

"...Is there truly no way to the boiler from here?" Agnes asked aloud, not too sure if what she's saying is even possible. "Even then... If that's not possible, just what happened here?"

ASCEND

“Albrecht vanishing from this study is just as impossible as his killer vanishing from it,” Fritz remarked, seeming to be remarkably calm (or at least numb to it all). “Most likely, the two used similar methods. Maybe our mysterious friend had something to do with it.”
Vesti and Lauren's Interdimensional Investigations
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

Meta wavers back and forth, a little unfocused.

Her eyes focus in on Ingrid, and there's a flash of something akin to anger. She lets go of it immediately, "The tape has become another toy for another killer."

She sighs, "Maybe someone left the window unlocked for themselves when we left earlier. If we accept the current arguments, I think it's fine to assume that."

Shy guy

"Yet the window was locked when we returned," Verrier pointed out, finally giving up with his search. He paced around for a few further moments, before continuing, "We should check on the other bodies, just to be sure. It might also be worth giving each of the crime scenes another once-over."

Happy Maria

"...So there's some way of evading the tape", Edna mused. "This must have to do with 2 years ago... and today, with M-Mia. I can only presume there's something obvious we're missing here, but I cannot imagine what it could be."

KamiPanda wrote:
"Yet the window was locked when we returned," Verrier pointed out, finally giving up with his search. He paced around for a few further moments, before continuing, "We should check on the other bodies, just to be sure. It might also be worth giving each of the crime scenes another once-over."

"Somebody either locked the window from the outside or pushed the body out before Ingrid locked the door. That's a fact, isn't it?" Meta massages her forehead. "Anyway, yes, I think we should perhaps check on Gideon. If the killer wants us to believe Gideon is alive, they must have moved his body, right?"

"I would like to re-examine Harley and Julia's crime scenes." Verrier decided. "Even with the shooter out there, I think this will be worthwhile."

It was hard to disagree. They were still stumped on several of these crimes, and they probably would not make progress without them. Still, it would be a bad idea to split everyone up into more than two groups since they only had two guns. The tomb still needed to be opened, so it was decided.

Tomb Group: Jolina, Edna, Agnes, Fritz, Ingrid
Revisiting Crime Scenes Group: Christof, Verrier, Angelo, Meta, Cici, Juna, Heinrich

[Snowymood]

Spoiler: Crime Scenes
Verrier examined Harley's body while Christof kept watch. They hadn't run into any trouble yet, but they still tried to move as fast as they could.

"You gotta be kidding me..." Verrier muttered to himself.

Spoiler: En Route to the Tomb
The group headed to the tomb, wrapped up in as much winter gear as they could manage. They brought tools and sledgehammers along, just in case they wouldn't be able to break through the doorway.

On the way, they found a set of tracks. It wasn't clear whether they were coming from or going to the tomb, or if it was one or several people. But amidst one of the indentations, they found a letter partially buried in the snow. It was also somewhat stained with blood.

My Dearest Family,

If you are reading this, either you are snooping through my things (in which case knock it off), or my friend has failed in his endeavor. I figured he wouldn't be able to pull it off.

I trust that my friend was able to sufficiently explain the situation. Please accept my deepest apologies for not attending our treasured reunion in person. Now that the cat is out the bag, I am confident you will treat my friend as you would any other guest of the family. The fact that I am not physically present does not affect his status as my guest. Please do not begrudge him for the deception; the entire burden rests with me.

As I recall, Geistfabel is full of shiny baubles, so (as long as Edna has not redecorated since my latest visit) I am satisfied that my friend will be able to keep himself entertained without getting in your hair too much.

Yours,
Raphael Fontaine Montague von Brandauer

[Only the tomb group can post]

Sock

Agnes, who was shivering due to the cold weather, held up the note and read it to the group just so everyone can be on the same page and nobody else has posted yet.

"So... The Raphael we were with was somebody else? Well, it could also be another trick, but I'm tired of doubting everything..." She sighed. "What's going on here? Why is this note here of all places?"

"...Why is there blood?"

"Nevermind all that... We're here to check the tomb, right?"

ASCEND

Fritz nodded in response, rubbing his arms against the cold.

“Whoever Raphael’s ‘friend’ was, it seems they failed to accomplish their task. Though we can’t be certain where they are now, unless they’re in that incinerator...”

Fritz shakes his head and marches on.

“We can deal with that later. For now...let’s open the tomb.”
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

Spoiler: January 1984
[Scene Music]

Lynde had spent his whole life growing up behind the iron curtain. Gideon particularly enjoyed traveling with him for this reason, getting to see him experience the world for the first time.

This time they found themselves in New York City, yet it was obvious that Gideon had another reason for coming beyond travel. He took Lynde to a simple bar in the downtown area, and the two waited in a booth.

“Is someone meeting us?” Lynde asked.

“Yes. He’s here on business, so I figured why not stop by and show you the area too?”

The two men sat silently, neither even bothering to initiate small-talk. After some time passed…

“Ah, he’s here!” Gideon jumped out of his seat like an excited child. “Angelo, I’d like you to meet my wonderful son!”

[Snowymood]

Jolina, Edna, Agnes, Fritz, and Ingrid had arrived at the tomb. Each of them tested the door, possibly not trusting the others to tell the truth if it were locked or not. It was locked.

Together, they prepared to charge the door. If they could not bust it down, they would have to use the tools but that was a last resort. It was certainly an unconventional way to open the door, and in the back of their mind they wondered if anybody had ever done it before. If any higher power were present, they would certainly tell them the tomb had never been broken into before this very moment.

They charged at the door, feeling it buckle slightly. Then they charged again, counting together. And again. And agai-

From the other side, they could hear one of the brackets the crossbar was set in being torn off the wall. The tomb was open.

[Scene Music]
Spoiler:
Stepping inside, it was clear there was nobody hiding. Not even behind the door they had just opened. The tomb was far too small, and had no intricacy at all in its design. The only possible place would be inside the coffin that was still resting on the altar.

If Gideon were here, he had to be in the coffin. There was simply no way Gideon could have walked up and left the tomb, certainly not while locking the door behind him.

Slowly, Edna opened the coffin. Inside was a familiar ‘face’--they could only assume it was Raphael, or his imposter friend. It was a corpse with outfitted with Raphael's signature mask and cloak on, partially stained with blood from a gunshot between their heart and left shoulder. They carefully took his pulse that and found that he was dead.

Carefully she took off the mask, finding a complete stranger behind it. A handsome man, but one that nobody recognized. There was nobody else in the coffin.

… there was nobody else in the tomb. Gideon was not here.

TO BE CONTINUED

[Everybody proceed to the Dead Thread]

Spoiler: Credits
Albrecht von Brandauer - Killed in the first chapter
Harley von Brandauer - Killed in the second chapter
Julia Weber - Killed in the second chapter
Mia Pfeiffer - Killed in the second chapter
Erik von Brandauer - Killed in the second chapter
The Imposter - Killed in the second or third chapter
Lynde von Brandauer - Missing in the third chapter

Edna von Brandauer - Alive at the story’s suspension
Agnes von Brandauer - Alive at the story’s suspension
Ingrid von Brandauer - Alive at the story’s suspension
Fritz von Brandauer - Alive at the story’s suspension
Cici von Brandauer - Alive at the story’s suspension
Heinrich von Brandauer - Alive at the story’s suspension
Juna Wessely - Alive at the story’s suspension
Jolina Wolff - Alive at the story’s suspension
Verrier Bain - Alive at the story’s suspension
Meta Richter - Alive at the story’s suspension
Christof Erhardt - Alive at the story’s suspension
Angelo Welcker - Alive at the story’s suspension

Gideon von Brandauer - ???
Re: Ghost Fables ~ Living Thread Chapter 4Topic%20Title

[There is no Chapter 4 in the living thread]
Re: Ghost Fables ~ Living Thread Final ChapterTopic%20Title

Final Chapter

Spoiler: February 1980
Just after Valerie’s funeral, Gideon and Edna had stepped away from the family onto the balcony. The group had just exploded like a powder keg into a massive fight, the two of them catching most of the blast. Edna was so weary that she felt she would collapse. She gripped the railing tightly, trying to ground herself as best as she could.

If I hadn’t lied about Agnes… none of this would’ve happened…

“I shouldn’t be here, Giddy.”

Gideon just looked at her. He said nothing for a while, just holding her hand. “I know--but we had to face it at some point.”

“No, I shouldn’t be here. Part of this family--it was never worth all this trouble.”

“Do you really think that?” He asked, looking away from her. “What about our child? What about us?”

Edna looked out at the horizon. If she told him, she would lose him forever. But if she didn't tell him... could she really say that they love they shared ever meant anything?

“... there’s something I never told you, Giddy.” As the words came out, Edna was afraid she would stop breathing. Panic gripped her heart. “Something… something that would make you hate me. I-”

“I don’t want to hear it.”

“No, please Giddy I ne-”

[Scene Music]

“I don’t want to hear it.” Gideon insisted, gripping her hand. “In this world, the last thing I want is to hate you. That would be the last thing I could take.”

Tears rolled down Edna’s face. Was there a point to any of this? Would she ever be able to tell anyone? Would she have to live with this forever?

“... I’m such a mess. Agnes doesn’t even want to look at us anymore. And the family--I can’t take them anymore. I can’t… I just can’t.”

And then, Gideon got on one knee. “We have turbulent waters ahead of us, Edna. And there’s nobody I’d rather do it with you than without you. So please, whatever you have to say, just hold onto it. No matter what, I won't regret choosing you.”

Edna’s eyes widened. He had promised long ago this would happen, but here? Of all places?

“It’s not worth living without you around, Edna. Do you have it in you to fulfill one last, selfish request of mine?”

“Giddy, this isn’t the place...”

“I know. But I wanted to fulfill my promise as soon as I could.”

Edna didn’t respond. She bit her lip, looking at the moon. Everything that happened could not be undone. All she had left were the choices she made.

“... yes. But let’s keep it quiet. Please.”

And then the old promise was fulfilled, and a new one was made: That they would be together for all eternity.

11:00 AM

Everybody searched the houses thoroughly, as well as re-examining the bodies. The locked rooms seemed to all have reasonable solutions, except for Albrecht’s death and disappearance. But they were left with one unshakable conclusion as they put their heads together in the foyer.

“Mia must’ve just thrown the gun out the window.” Meta surmised. “And then right before we discovered her body, the killer took it and shot the man pretending to be Raphael. Maybe he survived and walked off, but ultimately he died in the tomb.”

Verrier nodded. “Regardless of the facts, only one person could’ve wiped down the table. And only one person could've done the trick in the boiler room--that’s you, Juna.”

[This is the last RP-heavy scene, and then I can truck the rest out of with GM posts]

No other way than to make this mistake.

Juna tightened her grip on her left sleeve, though even she seems surprised by the accusation. "What makes you think that was me, of all people? Are you so eager to pin everything on me?"

Shy guy

"You're the only one with a key to the basement, that is, the master key. It all adds up: there's no-one else it can be," Verrier said, pointing his fan at Juna. "Just admit it! Dragging this out any further is pointless."

“It’s just the facts as we discussed them. That wound on Mia’s head didn’t kill her, and the shape of it looks just like the edge of a counter or table. She would have received that wound on the way to the ground while dying of poison, and there’s only one edge in that room that could have been cleaned of blood,” Meta pushes her glasses up her nose and gives Juna a regretful look.

“I saw you move to that table and put your hands on the edges. It’s a very clever solution to the locked room, but nonetheless dastardly. You must have had a very good reason.”

Sock

"Juna...." Agnes mumbles and stares at the maid silently, once in a while glancing over towards Edna as well. "Please. At least give us this much. To compensate from what you took away today, that life."

"So it was you..." Ingrid muttered. Ever since the tomb was broken into, she had been... Off. She seemed to be coming down with a heavy fever and had barely been able to walk back to the manor before sitting down collapsed on a couch in the foyer.

Without the strength to do much else, she glared at Juna. "... We don't need a confession. We already have the only answer that makes sense. I say we shoot her now."

Happy Maria

"Juna..." Edna looked distraught at this, unable to believe her own maid had done all this. "I-if it was really you, then p-please, just tell us... for my sake, at least..." Tears fell to the ground as she spoke.

DootDootDoot wrote:
Without the strength to do much else, she glared at Juna. "... We don't need a confession. We already have the only answer that makes sense. I say we shoot her now."

"N-No!" She shouted, despite everything. "T-that's too drastic... we can't be killers as well. The good detektiv must have some restraints or something of the sort on him should we need to keep an eye on her", she said, giving a hopeful glance towards Christof.

Southern Corn wrote:
"Juna..." Edna looked distraught at this, unable to believe her own maid had done all this. "I-if it was really you, then p-please, just tell us... for my sake, at least..." Tears fell to the ground as she spoke.

Juna looked rather distraught, but Edna's comment just made her evidently grimace. Tugging on her sleeve some more, she considered what to do for a while, then took a deep breath.

"I'm telling the truth," she said shakily, "It wasn't me in the basement. That was one of you."

ASCEND

“We don’t even know who the body in the basement is yet. Was it Lynde?” Fritz asked, pacing thoughtfully about the room. “And Juna, are you sure you never have that key to anyone?”

“I don’t think shooting her in necessary,” Fritz continued, “But if she had killed Erik I would be arguing for it as well. The point is that we don’t need to have a known murderer in the house while we’re trapped in this storm. We might be better off just throwing her out in the cold.”

"Agreed!" The Detektiv shouted. Cause he's totally still a character in this game. "We may have other mysteries to solve, but killing is killing. You're under arrest!" He approaches Juna, handcuffs in hand.

Juna froze, then stepped away once, a look of determination settling on her face. Then again, and a few other times. "No, no, I have one last ace up my sleeve... I'm not done just yet." The desperation in her shaky tone was more evident than ever, however.

Nearing the exit to the room, she spoke up again in a darker tone, with much the same desperation present, "I've... rigged this place with C4 connected to trapwires. If any of you try to leave, if any of you even try following me out of this place -- I'll make sure you never see the light of day again!"

Sock

“...I see.” Agnes doesn’t gasp or recoil in shock, she stares Juan down, almost as if she was calling some sort of bluff. “Do you mean to leave us here forever, or only once enough time has passed since you run off?”

“Do you think this will really work out for you? Is this really what you wanted, wha Tyru desire?” Agnes shook her head. “Don’t even bother answering. I don’t want to hear it.”

“I just hope whatever you’ve gotten has made you happy.” Agnes spat.

"Really? You? Set up explosives? Honestly I doubt you're even capable of setting anything like that up yourself." Jolina aims the gun at Juna with a pleasant little grin on her face.

Datamatt wrote:
Juna froze, then stepped away once, a look of determination settling on her face. Then again, and a few other times. "No, no, I have one last ace up my sleeve... I'm not done just yet." The desperation in her shaky tone was more evident than ever, however.

Nearing the exit to the room, she spoke up again in a darker tone, with much the same desperation present, "I've... rigged this place with C4 connected to trapwires. If any of you try to leave, if any of you even try following me out of this place -- I'll make sure you never see the light of day again!"

"...Well, you know, I'm not technically part of this family. It's okay if I leave, right?"

Where did he come from?

ASCEND

"Are you kidding me?" Fritz shouted, "When did you even have time to set this all up? I won't stand for this! Come on, this is just another locked room, right? There's got to be a way out."

Despite his objections, Fritz seemed to be making no move to approach Juna or do anything useful at all.

CaptainPancakes wrote:
"...Well, you know, I'm not technically part of this family. It's okay if I leave, right?"

Where did he come from?

Fritz stared incredulously at Angelo.

"You're still here, huh? Who even are you?"

Planetbox wrote:
CaptainPancakes wrote:

Where did he come from?

Fritz stared incredulously at Angelo.

"You're still here, huh? Who even are you?"

"Just a friendly neighbor," Angelo said, squatting on the ground.

"Should've killed her when we had the chance..." Ingrid said. "This is our punishment for refusing to avenge Mia. If I could still stand, I could've done it..."

ASCEND

DootDootDoot wrote:
"Should've killed her when we had the chance..." Ingrid said. "This is our punishment for refusing to avenge Mia. If I could still stand, I could've done it..."

“She’d already set up the C4, I imagine,” Fritz replied, “If we killed her then, we would have walked blindly into a trap and gotten blown sky high.”

“I know this is awful...but there’s still a chance. Once we get to the mainland, we’ll give the police a full report, and they can track her down! This isn’t over yet!”

Happy Maria

"...You wouldn't." Edna reacted similarly to Agnes, not particularly shocked in any way. "I know you wouldn't. Did we not throw away the C4s earlier, anyhow? In any case, I do not believe you are being honest to us here... Please, be honest with us for once. ...With me, at least." She asked, approaching the maid.

Shy guy

"I wouldn't put anything past her at this point," Verrier said warily.

"Nobody has to get hurt." Juna insisted, biting her lip. She slowly backed away, looking mournful.

Jolina fired, but the shot went wild as Edna pushed the gun out of the way and smashed the grandfather clock, making a cacophony of noise as it exploded. Juna ran off through the front door, shutting the door behind her.

She placed the final tripwire over the front door, successfully covering every exit of the mansion. She was still wearing a winter coat, so all that was left was to grab one of the spare boats. It would be incredibly risky, and she could die. But it would not be any more dangerous than crossing to West Berlin.

The group stood around in the mansion, defeated. They could not exit. Their best chance was leaving through the second or third floor, but there was no guarantee that Juna had not wired those windows as well. It was not worth the risk, they were stuck.

Ingrid tried to stand up, seeming like she was going to yell at Edna. But she had already gotten significantly more pale in the last few minutes... and just as suddenly she collapsed.

[Scene Music]

Shy guy

Despite his misgivings about his own value as a doctor, when Ingrid collapsed Verrier immediately rushed over to her to help. "Hey, stay with me!" he said, lifting her back into the couch she'd been in. "Dammit, did someone poison you? There wouldn't have been an opportunity to, though..." He tried to tend to her as best he could, but he couldn't at all figure out what the problem was. He was far more focused on this than he was Juna and the bombs.

Ingrid did not have any symptoms of poisoning. It was unclear what was wrong with her, or what could’ve made her sick.

It would not be possible for a natural being too diagnose. Her soul was simply trapped wasting away in another world.

Happy Maria

Edna stood by Verrier and Ingrid. She didn't intervene, but gave her a worried look. She shook her head. "This is all my fault... i-if only I'd understood Juna better, t-this wouldn't have..."

Sock

"Aunt Ingrid... Please..." Agnes hanged her head and silently watched her aunt writhe in pain or whatever.

"...Don't feel bad either, Mother. This cannot be your fault."

Meanwhile...

[Snowymood]
[Scene Music]

Juna stood by the cliffside, weeping softly. There would be time to prepare the boat afterwards, but now she would take a moment to say goodbye to the place she once called home. She clutched the headship ring tightly in her hand.

What’s even the point?

All this killing and for what? Running wouldn’t even accomplish anything, and if she had even the slightest hope the family would acknowledge her as head before, it certainly wouldn’t happen now.

“I did tell you that you would have to make tough decisions as head, didn’t I?” Gideon’s ghost asked in a sardonic tone.

“... I should’ve never listened to you. I should’ve… I should’ve...”

“Should’ve what? Given Albrecht the ring? Allow Mia to catch you? Raphael made it clear he would never acknowledge an outsider either.” Gideon shook his head. “Face it. In the end, you didn’t have a choice.”

“I had plenty of choices. For the first time in my life I had choices. I just needed time. I just needed… I needed someone to help me.” She collapsed to her knees, too weary to stand with her own strength anymore. The reality of killing two people had finally begun to sunk in.

She had taken one of the triggers to the C4 with her, and quickly tossed it as far as she could into the ocean. At the very least, she could save her from herself. The family would still be unable to leave because of the tripwires, but she would not allow herself make the decision on her own.

Soon she would have to gather a spare boat and leave. But for now, she clutched the ring in her hand and tried to keep the small flame of hope in her heart alive. There was still a path where she could be head... where she could see her family again... nothing was impossible...

[People in the foyer can still post, this was just a cutaway]
Page 19 of 21 [ 818 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Board index » Roleplay » Berry Big Circus