Court Records
http://forums.court-records.net/

My client, Matt Engarde, is...
http://forums.court-records.net/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=12180
Page 1 of 13

Author:  neoswordmaster [ Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:56 am ]
Post subject:  My client, Matt Engarde, is...

Spoiler:
Remember that part in 2-4 where you are forced to make a discision. Either Have a not guilty verdict and save Maya, but let a killer go free and an innocent person be found guilty in his place, or guilty where you sacrifice Maya, but you get the bad guy.


Which did you choose in that moment?

Author:  Pearl the Barrister [ Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:21 am ]
Post subject:  Re: My client, Matt Engarde, is...

Spoiler: Farewell, My Turnabout (2-4; JFA Case 4) DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU HAVE NOT PLAYED 2-4!
I chose guilty.
I knew it didn't really matter (DAMN YOU SPOILERS!), but I chose Guilty. Then, Franzy bursts in with the evidence!...

Author:  Franzise Deauxnim [ Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:27 am ]
Post subject:  Re: My client, Matt Engarde, is...

Not Guilty.

I've always believed it's better to let a criminal get away than let an innocent person die.

Author:  General Luigi [ Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:31 am ]
Post subject:  Re: My client, Matt Engarde, is...

When I was given that choice, I semi-shouted, "he's guilty!" as I pressed Guilty.

Spoiler: Farewell, My Turnabout
I don't care what others say. Matt destroyed a very happy relationship just to hurt his rival, and he had his rival killed just to protect his reputation. I hope Franziska reduced his skin to ribbons with that whip of hers.

Author:  Bad Player [ Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:49 am ]
Post subject:  Re: My client, Matt Engarde, is...

I chose "guilty" to kill Maya since I already knew she would turn out okay xD (from the cover of T&T, not 'cause I read spoilers!)

Author:  FSTA [ Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:52 am ]
Post subject:  Re: My client, Matt Engarde, is...

Guilty, because I knew that that was what Edgeworth had meant by "what it truly means to be an attorney"

Author:  Oos [ Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:33 am ]
Post subject:  Re: My client, Matt Engarde, is...

MY CLIENT MATT ENGARDE IS GAY.

...um

I chose Not Guilty because he's too hot to die.

Yes.

Author:  MaimJay [ Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:52 am ]
Post subject:  Re: My client, Matt Engarde, is...

^AHAHAHA OH Oos :gant: ^

Guilty, cause I knew everything would end up right in the end (and also I thought the case would end if I said "Not Guilty") though if it was a real situation, I would probably say Not Guilty.

Author:  aquachump [ Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:48 am ]
Post subject:  Re: My client, Matt Engarde, is...

Guilty, 'cause it's the truth and it's what Maya and Edgey wanted.

Just on a side-note - I can't remember who posted it and where, but someone pointed out that following the dialogue at that point you get...

:phoenix: : My client... Matt Engarde is...
(Franziska comes in)
:ack: : Franziska von Karma!

It's silly but now every time I go through that bit I can't help but laugh. :edgy:

Author:  NinjaMonkey [ Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:27 am ]
Post subject:  Re: My client, Matt Engarde, is...

Not guilty...both times :psycho-matt:

Only because I didn't fancy having Pearl with me all throughout the next game (which is what I thought would happen if MAya died :ack:).

Author:  ∑ή¡gΜåг [ Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:35 am ]
Post subject:  Re: My client, Matt Engarde, is...

I chose guilty because Maya was like.. "YOU LET HIM GET AWAY, AND I'LL HAUNT YOU BAD, YO.."

Author:  Salutation Here [ Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:51 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: My client, Matt Engarde, is...

Guilty because Maya told me to. And also, I sort of guessed that it wouldn't actually matter what I chose.

Author:  Prosecutor Manella [ Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: My client, Matt Engarde, is...

You know what confuses me about the whole case?

Afterwards, when Pearlmia talks to you, and flashes back to when you were about to say that, she then says 'Your decision that you made then shows what you really are, and what you think an attorney is all about.'

Now, I chose Not Guilty for lulz, so does that mean I'm a shit lawyer who does things for lulz?

Author:  Detective Ryo-oh-ki [ Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:07 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: My client, Matt Engarde, is...

I took about five minutes debating in my head what to do. I knew Maya would be alright in the end (I played T&T before JFA). Maya told me that if I chose Not Guilty, then she'd never forgive me...Even though I knew she'd be okay, I kept wanting to choose Not Guilty...but I had to do the right thing. I chose Guilty both times.

Author:  Nadindi [ Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:10 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: My client, Matt Engarde, is...

Prosecutor Manella wrote:
You know what confuses me about the whole case?

Afterwards, when Pearlmia talks to you, and flashes back to when you were about to say that, she then says 'Your decision that you made then shows what you really are, and what you think an attorney is all about.'

Now, I chose Not Guilty for lulz, so does that mean I'm a shit lawyer who does things for lulz?


Yes, Baris. Yes it does >.>

Personally, I tried for the GUILTY, but I didn't know how to do it, so I ended up with a NOT GUILTY and so I tried again ^_^;;

Author:  Jenna_Darknight [ Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: My client, Matt Engarde, is...

I was wavering between the two until I finally just said, "Eh, I don't like Maya much anyways and Enguarde's a bastard who needs to go die in a fire." and hit guilty.

Author:  Gozu [ Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: My client, Matt Engarde, is...

i chose guilty

it is always better to have the truth come out - no matter what that may mean

Author:  Prosecutor Manella [ Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: My client, Matt Engarde, is...

So, then, you're a dumbass lawyer who likes doing things twice over?

XD

Author:  General Luigi [ Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:29 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: My client, Matt Engarde, is...

Jenna_Darknight wrote:
I was wavering between the two until I finally just said, "Eh, I don't like Maya much anyways and Enguarde's a bastard who needs to go die in a fire." and hit guilty.

Amen. I have nothing against Maya, though. Still, as I said, I hope Franziska reduced his skin to ribbons with that whip of hers. As things stood, had Adrian been indicted, she would have surely gotten the death sentence. Were it not for those last pieces of evidence, an innocent person would have died no matter what. Better to get the killer, too, than to let them go and commit crimes again. You've seen the kind of person Matt is; I have no doubt that had he gone free, he would have committed some horrible crime again in the future.

Author:  fatalfeline [ Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: My client, Matt Engarde, is...

Dude, when that part came up I freaked out bad. D: Since I was being a pussy and was afraid I'd screw myself over if I chose wrong, I ran to Gamefaqs and found out it didn't matter what I chose. -_-"

So I chose GUILTY! D<

And I wasn't expecting Franny to bust in right after that. :D That was awesome! I actually audibly cheered. XD

Author:  et91 [ Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:46 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: My client, Matt Engarde, is...

Franzise Deauxnim wrote:
Not Guilty.

I've always believed it's better to let a criminal get away than let an innocent person die.


Except then Adrian would be the one dieing

Author:  Franzise Deauxnim [ Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:15 am ]
Post subject:  Re: My client, Matt Engarde, is...

et91 wrote:
Franzise Deauxnim wrote:
Not Guilty.

I've always believed it's better to let a criminal get away than let an innocent person die.


Except then Adrian would be the one dieing

Except you can always appeal a conviction. You can't appeal de Killer throat slicings. :lana:

Author:  General Luigi [ Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:04 am ]
Post subject:  Re: My client, Matt Engarde, is...

I don't deny that. However, thanks to the double jeopardy law, Engarde could not be indicted after being acquitted. And, since no one else could have conceivably committed the crime, that means that no matter how many appeals are done, Adrian will be found guilty.

Author:  Bolt Storm [ Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:57 am ]
Post subject:  Re: My client, Matt Engarde, is...

Actually, the logical thing to do there would be to say "Not Guilty."

If Franziska hadn't burst in, saying Guilty would've gone like this.

Phoenix: He's guilty!
Judge: ...Do you have any conclusive proof?
Engarde: Like, lawyer man, I dunno what you're trying to pull, but, like, if you're going to be like that, I can manage the rest of this without you. *opts for self-defense*
*Phoenix gets ejected from the courtroom*
*de Killer kills Maya for Phoenix breaking the rules*
*Adrian is convicted*
*Engarde does the evil laugh*
*The miracle never happen*

Author:  moonfall [ Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:52 am ]
Post subject:  Re: My client, Matt Engarde, is...

aquachump wrote:

Just on a side-note - I can't remember who posted it and where, but someone pointed out that following the dialogue at that point you get...

:phoenix: : My client... Matt Engarde is...
(Franziska comes in)
:ack: : Franziska von Karma!

It's silly but now every time I go through that bit I can't help but laugh. :edgy:



:object: That's impossible! I saw them in the same room the other day! There's no way they could be the same person.

:franny: *pulls off Engarde mask* I told him this wouldn't work...

:phoenix: Huh?

:franny: Matt Engarde is dead. He stabbed his eyes out with a plastic fork in the detention center. Since we have no way of proving this to de Killer, someone has to show up as the defendant.

:nick-sweat: If you're Franziska, then who is that wearing your clothes?

:ditz: Like, I'm a total master of disguise!

Author:  Jenna_Darknight [ Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:39 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: My client, Matt Engarde, is...

...*falls out of chair laughing* You win the net!

Author:  Prosecutor Manella [ Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: My client, Matt Engarde, is...

I imagine it as such...

:phoenix: WTF R U DOIN N00B WHER DID MAT GO

:franny: I am prepartoraly enclothing myself as the late Matthew Brontosaurus Enguardical.

:edgeworth: Miss! Miss!

:franny: What would you be inquiring after?

:edgeworth: H-How did that Arn Gard man die? Also, c-can I go to the bathroom?

:phoenix: WER IN A TRYUL U N00B

:edgeworth: W-W-WAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAAAAAAAAAA!

:franny: He proceeded to grab a sharp utensil known as a forkula and gouged at his eye socket until his vision was so impaired he bled to his rest.

:phoenix: OMGWTF HU IS THT THEN

:ditz: YOYOYO I CAN TAKE MAH HOMIES IN THA HOOD AND DRESS MAHSELF LIKE A PROPER BAD BOY YO

Author:  General Luigi [ Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:17 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: My client, Matt Engarde, is...

Bolt Storm wrote:
Actually, the logical thing to do there would be to say "Not Guilty."

If Franziska hadn't burst in, saying Guilty would've gone like this.

Phoenix: He's guilty!
Judge: ...Do you have any conclusive proof?
Engarde: Like, lawyer man, I dunno what you're trying to pull, but, like, if you're going to be like that, I can manage the rest of this without you. *opts for self-defense*
*Phoenix gets ejected from the courtroom*
*de Killer kills Maya for Phoenix breaking the rules*
*Adrian is convicted*
*Engarde does the evil laugh*
*The miracle never happen*

Actually, it's still possible to prove Engarde guilty.

Phoenix: Your Honor, there's still a problem here.
Judge: There is?
Phoenix: Yes. As we proved just a moment ago, de Killer's client did not know how to disassemble the puzzle. Therefore... the client COULD NOT have been Adrian Andrews!
Judge: Whaaaaat!? But... But that means...
Phoenix: That's right, Your Honor. My client, Matt Engarde... is guilty. This whole time, I was deceived by him.
Judge: But... the prosecution...
Phoenix: The defense rests, too, then.

Author:  hippietree12 [ Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:31 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: My client, Matt Engarde, is...

I totally freaked out at that point and took forever thinking about it even though I knew Maya would be alright (played T&T before JFA) then I selected Guilty. I don't care what anyone says, it's better to have justice be served to the guilty party.

Author:  fatalfeline [ Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:38 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: My client, Matt Engarde, is...

Prosecutor Manella wrote:
I imagine it as such...

:phoenix: WTF R U DOIN N00B WHER DID MAT GO

:franny: I am prepartoraly enclothing myself as the late Matthew Brontosaurus Enguardical.

:edgeworth: Miss! Miss!

:franny: What would you be inquiring after?

:edgeworth: H-How did that Arn Gard man die? Also, c-can I go to the bathroom?

:phoenix: WER IN A TRYUL U N00B

:edgeworth: W-W-WAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAAAAAAAAAA!

:franny: He proceeded to grab a sharp utensil known as a forkula and gouged at his eye socket until his vision was so impaired he bled to his rest.

:phoenix: OMGWTF HU IS THT THEN

:ditz: YOYOYO I CAN TAKE MAH HOMIES IN THA HOOD AND DRESS MAHSELF LIKE A PROPER BAD BOY YO


I haven't lol'd like that in a while! :gant-clap:

Author:  Katana [ Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:38 am ]
Post subject:  Re: My client, Matt Engarde, is...

In response to one of the first few people, about an innocent person dying being worse than letting a killer go: Either decision results in an innocent's death (Adrian), and that's what REALLY makes the moral dillema for me.
So far, only one of my friends has completed that trial; I'd like to get some others, and see what their decision is (that is, if they've actually started to care for the game at that point)

Author:  Slash_3-D [ Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:21 am ]
Post subject:  Re: My client, Matt Engarde, is...

Oh my, I think this question is what made this case my favorite, I never thought this much in my whole PW playing. I think I said not guilty, because I was thinking of Maya. But the Adrian fact kept me from pointing ''Not Guilty''. Then Franziska pops up...

THANK GOD!!!! :larry:

Author:  Haruhi [ Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:11 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: My client, Matt Engarde, is...

I chose Not Guilty because I wanted Phoenix to have a perfect record. :karma:

Author:  WallofIllusion [ Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: My client, Matt Engarde, is...

I chose guilty.
I think it was because I thought that was what the game wanted. In real life, I almost certainly would have chosen not guilty, especially with Mia standing right there. Plus, there's a chance that Adrian's lawyer would have been able to get her declared not guilty, so... yeah.
I'm depressed that I chose "guilty," honestly... *is pathetic*

Author:  Hylian100 [ Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:38 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: My client, Matt Engarde, is...

WallofIllusion wrote:

I'm depressed that I chose "guilty," honestly... *is pathetic*


No, you're not. Thast's what Phoenix would do, because he believes in the power of the truth, and he trusted the miracle to come. And Mia would support him, and Maya, fighting for justice whilst cornered into a tiny manouevring space.
I chose "Guilty". Always have, always will. Purely for the fact that he wanted to kill Maya/

Author:  ILikeShinyMirrors [ Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:29 am ]
Post subject:  Re: My client, Matt Engarde, is...

Guilty, definitely.

Partly because I just couldn't get myself to lie. I mean, and get Adrian convicted and everything...

But more probably because I knew it was what the game wanted me to do, and I knew that as long as I didn't make some huge game-ending mistake the Capcom writers would never kill Maya.

Author:  Metaler [ Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:25 am ]
Post subject:  Re: My client, Matt Engarde, is...

Always chose guilty.
If this happened in real life, that would make me less worried about the situation, knowing that a criminal was brought to justice. But yeah, all this moral dilema was what made this case so fantastic. ^^'
Also, I couldn't imagine how Maya would feel if Matt was declared Not Guilty. o.o'

Author:  ToastButler [ Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:39 am ]
Post subject:  Re: My client, Matt Engarde, is...

WallofIllusion wrote:
I chose guilty.
I think it was because I thought that was what the game wanted. In real life, I almost certainly would have chosen not guilty, especially with Mia standing right there. Plus, there's a chance that Adrian's lawyer would have been able to get her declared not guilty, so... yeah.
I'm depressed that I chose "guilty," honestly... *is pathetic*


I chose guilty for the same reasons and, similarly, would have chosen not guilty in real life. That, after all, is the job of a defense attorney, whereas the game focuses on the job of lawyers being to bring out the truth.

Of course, I'd be helped in real life by the lack of capital punishment. I couldn't do that to Adrian. And that, in a nutshell, is why I keep my lawyerly exploits limited solely to Phoenix Wright. No one would ever hire me in real life in case I took the moral high ground on them. :oops:

Author:  WunderbarPhalanges [ Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:07 am ]
Post subject:  Re: My client, Matt Engarde, is...

moonfall wrote:

:object: That's impossible! I saw them in the same room the other day! There's no way they could be the same person.

:franny: *pulls off Engarde mask* I told him this wouldn't work...

:phoenix: Huh?

:franny: Matt Engarde is dead. He stabbed his eyes out with a plastic fork in the detention center. Since we have no way of proving this to de Killer, someone has to show up as the defendant.

:nick-sweat: If you're Franziska, then who is that wearing your clothes?

:ditz: Like, I'm a total master of disguise!


Oh, man.
:mattphone: stabbing his eyes out with a plastic fork... I can see it. I can.
Though I can't help but replace the fork with a spork... because sporks are made of awesome.

Author:  ILikeShinyMirrors [ Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:22 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: My client, Matt Engarde, is...

wunderbarphalanges wrote:
moonfall wrote:

:object: That's impossible! I saw them in the same room the other day! There's no way they could be the same person.

:franny: *pulls off Engarde mask* I told him this wouldn't work...

:phoenix: Huh?

:franny: Matt Engarde is dead. He stabbed his eyes out with a plastic fork in the detention center. Since we have no way of proving this to de Killer, someone has to show up as the defendant.

:nick-sweat: If you're Franziska, then who is that wearing your clothes?

:ditz: Like, I'm a total master of disguise!


Oh, man.
:mattphone: stabbing his eyes out with a plastic fork... I can see it. I can.
Though I can't help but replace the fork with a spork... because sporks are made of awesome.


Oh my goodness! Someone else who thinks sporks are made of awesome! Along with puppy sized elephants and Shakesperean insults?
To be more on-topic, it seems here to me that people are agreeing that the 'right' thing to do would be to put 'not guilty'. I disagree, but that doesn't necessarily mean that I think putting guilty is the right thing to do. But, you can make a case for it. In-game, you're standing there, as a lawyer, all personal problems aside. Your job is to find the truth. You know the truth, so concealing it would only be wrong.

Granted, concealing the truth would save the life of your best friend. But it reminds me of that old story in which a father sees his child playing on the train tracks. A train full of people comes roaring toward him. The father can switch the tracks, thus sending the train off a cliff and killing tons of people but saving his son, or he can watch his son die because he didn't do anything.

The circumstances are a little different though, because choosing not guilty doesn't ruin the lives of a lot of people, just one (Adrian Andrews). It also lets a criminal go free. So the case you can make for choosing not guilty is that the life of one you are close to and really care about is more important than someone you just recently met. To you, anyway.

What would I do in real life? Heck, I don't know. I'd probably just have a heart attack on the spot and die. :beef:

Page 1 of 13 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/