Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Hazakurain (GS3)

Page 4 of 5[ 184 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Re: Phoenix gets into a relationship with Iris after case 5?Topic%20Title

Squirtle!

Pearl knocks Phoenix out in GS3. I think that she can stop THAT relationship fairly easily.
For more proof, read the Official Casebook: The Phoenix Wright files.
Spoiler:
She smacks Godot!

Married to SnowWright! Father of Tornado of Souls!

That was mostly for the "hurr comedy" effect. Even if it wasn't, Phoenix and Maya would only put up with that slapping crap for so long before one (or both) of them puts their foot down.

And, uhh, the "Official" Casebook isn't canon proof of anything. Even if it was, according to that, Phoenix IS seeing Iris.

Witness my stand... FOUGHT THE LAW!!!

Everyone is taking their looks away from some lines that prove that Phoenix still loved Iris :

:ayame: Iris: After spending half a year by your side... My feelings for you... They changed.

:phoenix: Phoenix: ...... I have something to say to you, too.

:ayame: Iris: Y-Yes?

:phoenix: Phoenix: You really are the person I always thought you were. Even after Dahlia Hawthorne was found guilty... I still believed in you.

:ayame: Iris: ...... Thank you.

That proves everything ( if it`s even the theme trated now that everyone is talking about pearls beating phoenix and her madness for the :phoenix: X :maya: pairing)

I hope that proves enough things about this matter.

Thanks. Its a pleasure. :godot:
Thanks. It was, is and always will be a pleasure.
"Getting into law school will make you realize how fucking bonkers these games are... like REALLY"

Gray Godot wrote:
Everyone is taking their looks away from some lines that prove that Phoenix still loved Iris :

:ayame: Iris: After spending half a year by your side... My feelings for you... They changed.

:phoenix: Phoenix: ...... I have something to say to you, too.

:ayame: Iris: Y-Yes?

:phoenix: Phoenix: You really are the person I always thought you were. Even after Dahlia Hawthorne was found guilty... I still believed in you.

:ayame: Iris: ...... Thank you.

That proves everything

These lines do not prove Phoenix loves Iris, on the contrary, this was one of the writers' opportunity to have Phoenix profess love but he doesn't. We get a love admission from Iris, but in reply we do not get a love admission from Phoenix. Phoenix gives Iris the character validation she deserves (ie. she is NOT the same as her evil sister and is not a murderer, and even through the masquerading it was obvious that the person who he knew as his girlfriend at the time was not a murderer.) It's just a statement of fact 'You really are the person I always thought you were'. It's not an expression of love now, it's just further proof that Phoenix's law career has not been a fluke and his belief in clients is vindicated - Godot's impressions of deluded Feenie are wrong.

So Phoenix has freed Iris from her guilt so she can move on, just like Diego can now have closure over Mia, but it doesn't imply a relationship now.

Squirtle!

Incidentally, if he loved Iris, why would he have jumped across a burning bridge for Maya? Or defend a guilty man for her? Fight for her, even when she confessed to a crime? (GS2) Or could he have been doing what Godot did, and felt guilty about Mia, so he protected her?

Nick defended Edgeworth in 1-4 even after he "confessed" to murdering his father, too.

Phoenix watches out for people he cares about. That's just the kind of guy he is.

Resident Bookworm

jonathanrp wrote:
Incidentally, if he loved Iris, why would he have jumped across a burning bridge for Maya? Or defend a guilty man for her? Fight for her, even when she confessed to a crime? (GS2) Or could he have been doing what Godot did, and felt guilty about Mia, so he protected her?

Since this seems to be based on the argument that Phoenix loves Maya, not Iris, so I'll mainly address that. The argument is based on that idea so....

1. WHy would he cross a burning bridge for Maya? What if it HAD been Iris over there? Or better yet, let's say it's Pearls of all people over there (she was but he didn't know that). In the game, Phoenix runs across because he thought the murderer may have run across over there and he knew that Maya was over there for training. Like I said, if we replaced Maya with Pearl or even Edgeworth he'd still run across. Would that mean he loves Pearl (romantically?)?
2. Why defend a guilty man? Let's see, defend a guilty man OR let an innocent person die. Like my above point, let's assume it was someone else Phoenix knew. For the sake of argument, let's say it's Franziska. Do you really think that Phoenix would not try and help Franziska (or whoever is in that place), even to defend a guilty man, when someone's life is in his hands?
3. Why defend her when she confessed to a crime? As mentioned by an earlier poster, he does the same for Edgeworth.

As to whether Phoenix would still have feelings for Iris, I would say yes. That doesn't mean they'd end up together though. Basically, since most of my points of probably been said I'll just say my main reason that there's probably still something there. In the ending credits, Pearl punches Phoenix (unsurprisingly) because his eyes keep going to Iris. To be fair, Pearl whacks Phoenix over things her overactive imagination concocts (like with Desiree) but the fact that Iris acknowledges the fact he kept staring at her is interesting.

Whether Phoenix or Iris will have a relationship in the future, who knows? It COULD work depending on how developed but that's up to the writer's to do. Things are pretty left open...

Robin Goodfellow wrote:
1. WHy would he cross a burning bridge for Maya? What if it HAD been Iris over there? Or better yet, let's say it's Pearls of all people over there (she was but he didn't know that). In the game, Phoenix runs across because he thought the murderer may have run across over there and he knew that Maya was over there for training. Like I said, if we replaced Maya with Pearl or even Edgeworth he'd still run across. Would that mean he loves Pearl (romantically?)?

He's going for Maya, not to stop the murderer.
Phoenix:
The murderer might have
fled across the bridge!
Phoenix:
I have to make sure
Maya is safe!

[later]von Karma: All the ridiculous things you did made it a very interesting read, you know. Attempting to cross a burning bridge? Did you even consider the dangers?
Phoenix: No.
Phoenix: The only thought in my mind was, "I have to get across."

Recall that just that evening, Phoenix was petrified of crossing it. It was a really stupid and dangerous attempt. [Much like eating the poison bottle in 3-1.] And it actually brings to life Pearl's seemingly 'delusional fantasy' of "You'd walk across burning hot coals for Mystic Maya, wouldn't you, Mr Nick?"

Would he have done it for someone else? I doubt it. It wasn't even Maya in direct danger, only the possibility of it. And there is no evidence to support a theory that he'd do it for anyone else. Saving Maya is what the canon gives us. [He'd probably save Edgeworth or Pearl if they were actively about to fall to death or something, but this is just the possibility Maya might be in danger!]

Your other points... I will reply tomorrow [zzzz]....

Resident Bookworm

^You're missing something in that excerpt.

Phoenix:
The murderer might have
fled across the bridge!

Phoenix:
I have to make sure
Maya is safe!
"

I didn't say he was crossing the bridge to stop the murderer. What I'm saying is that he's crossing the bridge because the murderer might have crossed the bridge and a close friend may be in trouble. I find it highly unlikely he wouldn't do the same for Pearl or Edgeworth or anyone else that's close to him if they were stuck isolated and potentially trapped with a murderer via burning bridge. That's not his character (or at least I don't think it is).

And I'll wait for the your counters before I build further then.

Robin Goodfellow wrote:
^You're missing something in that excerpt.

No I'm not. The one marked 'later' is way later in the investigation. aka a different quote
Spoiler: 3-5 scene
Phoenix:
...Aaaaaaaaaah!

Phoenix:
Dusky Bridge...!
It's burning down!
(What the heck happened!?)

Butz:
What are you doing here?

Phoenix:
Aaaaaaaaah!

Butz:
Huh? What is it?
Is it me?

Phoenix:
D-Don't scare me like that,
Larry! I almost had a heart
attack!

Butz:
My name isn't Larry!
It's Laurice!

Phoenix:
Larry, hurry up and call
the police! I'm going to
the Inner Temple!

Butz:
D-Don't be stupid!
The bridge is nothing but a
burning wreck right now!

Phoenix:
Listen to me! There's been
a murder! Here! At Hazakura
Temple!

Butz:
Wha-Whaaaaat!?

Phoenix:
The murderer might have
fled across the bridge!

Phoenix:
I have to make sure
Maya is safe!

Butz:
B-B-But...

Phoenix:
Please! Call the police!
I've got to go!
...Get outta my way, Larry!

Butz:
It-It's too dangerous!
Nick, w-wait!

--------------------------------------------

Phoenix:
(I must have been crazy...)

Phoenix:
(I knew how dangerous it was,
but I still went for it...)

...*crack!*...

Hmm, what exactly about the burning bridge are we arguing here? Fact is, in a case you imply to the writers giving 'proof' to the continuing and ultimate canon implication of Phoenix/Iris the writers CHOOSE to make Maya (not Edgeworth, Pearl or, most significantly, Iris) the object which motivates this extreme behaviour. Not Iris or anything else. There's a huge implication of care for Maya and no precedents of him doing anything as extreme as this for Edgeworth and Pearl.

Sure, he might do something to save any one of his friends, but the utter dangerousness and stupidity of this attempt is emphasised - he knows it's dangerous, Larry has just warned him again, he was petrified of the bridge earlier even when it wasn't burning down.

Hey, he'd do something reasonable to save Edgeworth or Pearl, maybe something dangerous if they were directly in danger. But Maya isn't even confirmed to be directly in danger, but his attachment to her is so intense that he does something stupid, dangerous and irrational, almost by instinct and definitely on impulse, with no regard for his personal safety even though he knows it's dangerous. And yes, the obvious symbolic parallel of this was.. eating the poison bottle in 3-1. He even gets a cold from the attempt to emphasise the connection! But, instead of being for Iris, this time it's for Maya, even more significant because Iris is the one who right now is in danger and being arrested for murder like 'she' was in 3-1.

Taken alone, no it's not actually proof of romantic love in itself, (despite the irony of Pearl insisting both before and after, "you'd do anything for Mystic Maya, wouldn't you? Even walk on hot coals, right?"; ironic in that unbeknownst to Pearl, her 'delusional fantasy' actually did come true!) But it adds to a very interesting body of evidence made explicit in the trial - Phoenix's attachment to Maya far eclipses any feelings or loyalty to Iris. When anything starts pointing the finger in Maya's direction, he refuses to believe even 'Iris', completely forgets he's defending Iris and almost seems to forget her existence even though she's 'missing' and possibly in danger, loses all traces of professionalism, ability to rational contradiction statements or attempts to defend Iris, becomes irrational, and finally goes into emotional breakdown. Only after Maya is safe can he resume professionalism and focus on defending Iris.
Robin Goodfellow wrote:
2. Why defend a guilty man? Let's see, defend a guilty man OR let an innocent person die. Like my above point, let's assume it was someone else Phoenix knew. For the sake of argument, let's say it's Franziska. Do you really think that Phoenix would not try and help Franziska (or whoever is in that place), even to defend a guilty man, when someone's life is in his hands?

2-2. Maya's in danger! The trauma of this is so intense that everything's fading away! And then he's so desperate to have her safe he immediately hands the kidnapper a blank cheque! He's willing to do whatever the kidnapper demands, basically, he's that desperate.
Spoiler: 2-2
Phoenix:
Maya!
Where are you!?
Are you hurt!?

? ? ?:
Come now.
Don't fall apart on me yet.

Phoenix:
(Th-This... No!
This can't be!)

? ? ?:
Now that I have your
attention, Mr. Attorney,

? ? ?:
I have a modest proposal for
you.

? ? ?:
If you do what I require, then
I will return to you your
valuable "item" unharmed.

? ? ?:
...What is this called again
in your fancy lawyer terms?

Phoenix:
..."Kidnapping for ransom"...

? ? ?:
Yes, that's it.

? ? ?:
This is a kidnapping.

Pearl:
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!
Mystic Maya!
Mystic Mayaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!

Phoenix:
(M-My sight... Everything's
fading away...
)

Phoenix:
(Maya... Maya...
Maya's been kidnapped!)

? ? ?:
You there?
Mr. Wright, are you there?

Phoenix:
H-How much!?
How much do you want!?

? ? ?:
Very good, Mr. Attorney.
I'm glad you have such a good
grasp of the situation.

Phoenix:
Hurry up and state your
condition! And then return
Maya –

He's willing to subvert usual legal and police channels and break rules:
Powers:
Mr. Wright... I think we...
I think we should tell the
police what it's going on...!

Phoenix:
(No! We can't do that!
If we do, who knows what
will happen to Maya...)

He knows even at the beginning that Engarde is probably guilty.
Gumshoe: You really believe what a KIDNAPPER tells you, pal!?
Phoenix: (I guess he has a point... If Engarde is really innocent, then why the kidnapping?)

But he takes the case anyway in an attempt to save Maya, even though everything points to the client being guilty. Even when Engarde confesses to him, he continues defending and stalling, trying every cheap trick and ploy in the book to defend his 'client' longer. In fact, it's only Maya herself who convinces him that it's okay to get Engarde guilty and risk her, Maya basically insists to him to risk sacrificing her and get Engarde guilty and NOT save her, managing to get him the vital evidence before potentially sacrificing her life for the sake of justice and Phoenix not violating his career ethics.

Even after this, he tries every cheap trick he can, even pinning guilt on obviously-innocent Adrian, just for Maya's sake. When he does admit he can finally stall no longer, he's filled with remorse.
Phoenix: "Maya...
Maya... What am I supposed to do?"

Phoenix: "Maya... I'm sorry..."

He's been suffering significant distress form violating all his ethics both internally and from the public (The judge thinks he's an assassin, the crowds all loudly complain what an evil corrupt person he is, he gets a special Psychological Breakdown Over Maya sprite which didn't exist in game 1..) It's taking its toll but he keeps going for Maya's sake:
Phoenix: "This is to save Maya... This is to save Maya...
Even if the whole world turns against me, this is one fight I can't give up on."

When he does finally start incriminating Engarde instead, he still clings to the hope that a 'miracle' will occur, he seemingly can't deal with the possibility Maya will indeed die. (The 'bad ending' where the 'miracle never happen' just emphasises the depths of his disillusionment, so he can't have accepted he was sacrificing Maya when he wished for a miracle here.)

Someone's life is always in Phoenix's hands in a trial - the defendant AND partially whoever he decides to imply is really guilty. I don't think Phoenix would take a case of someone he genuinely knew was guilty because some associated blackmail would risk killing Franziska. It's a severe violation of his ethics to continue defending a guilty client (and it caused him significant psychological distress), especially when it means the person he knows is innocent (like Adrian) is charged in their place.

Phoenix would probably assist investigations where he could to try and help Franziska but he would not doggedly keep up a stalling 'defense' with every cheap ploy in the book long after he knows they're guilty and 'even if the whole world turns against me.' Note that when Maya is kidnapped, he's so worried about her safety rather than law and procedure that he makes the decision NOT to go to police and the usual justice channels, only goes to the trusted Gumshoe/Edgeworth. He's willing to break the rules way more than he would for Franziska or probably anyone else.
Quote:
3. Why defend her when she confessed to a crime? As mentioned by an earlier poster, he does the same for Edgeworth.

To start with, lots of people see the viability of Phoenix/Edgeworth, so trying to rebutt potentially implied love as false with other potentially implied love doesn't quite work.

As to the significant differences between Edgeworth in 1-4 and Maya in 2-2:

When Phoenix goes to the detention centre in 1-4 to take Edgeworth's case, he still has some doubt so he asks him point blank if he murdered the victim. Edgeworth says no and Phoenix believes him. When Edgeworth springs up in court proclaiming his guilt, Phoenix has extremely strong principled reasons (lasting since 4th grade) to support his belief in Edgeworth as a person, but he also has the rationalisations from his investigation to support them, particularly his theory of the second bullet which he constructs his defense around. When it's claimed that the bullet 'doesn't exist', he momentarily loses faith since his inherent belief was supported by this 2nd bullet, till Mia tells him it does exist and he manages to think of the real explanation.

In 2-2, Maya just tells Phoenix that she is a murderer and not to defend her. Phoenix has not had any proper investigation or rational reasons to support innocence given to him yet (Mia only says that thing about not having dreams later.) Phoenix only has his faith in her with no rationalisations or even any claim by her of innocence to support it. He gets quite emotional and upset, but still doggedly clings to defending her:
Spoiler: 2-2
Phoenix:
I'll be back later, Maya.
In the meantime, please make
sure you prepare it, OK?

Maya:
Huh? "It"?
What is "it"?

Phoenix:
The document requesting
me to be your attorney,
of course.

Maya:
...!

Maya:
But...

Phoenix:
What's wrong?

Maya:
Are you sure?
I mean, I'm guilty!
I'm a murderer!

Phoenix:
No one's decided that yet.

Maya:
But I did! I killed that
person... with these...
two hands...!

Phoenix:
That's enough, Maya.

Maya:
It's hopeless! If you defend
me, you'll lose, I'm sure...

Phoenix:
Stop it!!! *emotional sound effect*

Maya:

Maya:
...Help me...

Maya:
Nick, help me...
I'm scared...

Phoenix:
Don't worry, I will.
When is the trial?

He doesn't get all emotional over Edgeworth at the detention centre or any other client (Save 'Iris' in 3-1). But here, and in 2-4 (over Maya) and 3-5 (again over Maya), he has a significant emotional distress response.

Quote:
As to whether Phoenix would still have feelings for Iris, I would say yes. That doesn't mean they'd end up together though. Basically, since most of my points of probably been said I'll just say my main reason that there's probably still something there. In the ending credits, Pearl punches Phoenix (unsurprisingly) because his eyes keep going to Iris. To be fair, Pearl whacks Phoenix over things her overactive imagination concocts (like with Desiree) but the fact that Iris acknowledges the fact he kept staring at her is interesting.

I'll concede that the series took care to leave Iris open as a vague possibility (since it would be cruel otherwise to bring back some ex-girlfriend for parts of the audience to get attached to and then immediately say there was no chance whatsoever), but they seem to have gone out of their way to imply that a future together is very unlikely and not the canon intention.

3-5 is all about how Phoenix has matured and Godot's impression of him is in error. His career is vindicated as not a fluke based on stupid irrational belief and luck. Phoenix has matured since the incident (just like Mia matured from the Dahlia-trauma of 3-4) but like Godot/Diego, Iris was stuck in a limbo of guilt (Diego in a coma.) She doesn't warn Phoenix against the poison in 3-1 and Swallow (and almost Phoenix) dies, even 5 years later, she still doesn't warn Phoenix about the impending murder and Misty (and almost Maya) dies. The story repeats itself. Phoenix can give her validation that she is not the same as murderous Dahlia and free her from her guilt, but Iris is left behind as something relevant to his past. It's closure, like Diego finally has over Mia. Phoenix has moved on, Iris can only now begin to move on but she's stuck 5 years behind.

The nature of their relationship in 3-1 is so superficial that it's as if the writers deliberately wanted us to disbelieve it as empty. We really don't' get any indication whatsoever that they can actually function in a working partnership, instead we just get two very obvious examples of almost unbelievable level of communication failure with deadly consequences, one of which is in the present so things haven't changed. This is the evidence the canon gives us! In stark contrast, the popular Phoenix/Maya and Phoenix/Edgeworth have the games littered with examples that the pairs can complement each others' personalities in a mutually beneficial functional relationship.

In the ending, Phoenix and Maya will be together and Edgeworth is shown to be prepared to rush from the other side of the world, whilst Iris is in jail and Phoenix even looking at her is thwarted by the writers' own indicator, Pearl.

If they had wanted to imply a future in canon, it would have been so easy to make a more typical ending, like maybe a date with Iris or a proper indication of feelings in the credits, but instead they just jail her, a flawed character akin to Godot/Diego. Even when Iris makes her big love confession to Phoenix, Phoenix does not respond with anything in any way implying anything romantic. That would have been a key moment to imply the possibility of Phoenix/Iris as canon but they didn't. The sole 'evidence' we get is that Phoenix may have some lingering physical attraction, but that doesn't mean he considers a future relationship viable. (I mean, there are probably a hundred million people on earth any one person would find somewhat attractive but could you expect a functional relationship with most of them?) And the writers slap it down immediately. Note he didn't even go alone, only with both Pearl and Maya?

Clefairy Obsession

icer wrote:
Hmm, what exactly about the burning bridge are we arguing here? Fact is, in a case you imply to the writers giving 'proof' to the continuing and ultimate canon implication of Phoenix/Iris the writers CHOOSE to make Maya (not Edgeworth, Pearl or, most significantly, Iris) the object which motivates this extreme behaviour. Not Iris or anything else. There's a huge implication of care for Maya and no precedents of him doing anything as extreme as this for Edgeworth and Pearl.

Sure, he might do something to save any one of his friends, but the utter dangerousness and stupidity of this attempt is emphasised - he knows it's dangerous, Larry has just warned him again, he was petrified of the bridge earlier even when it wasn't burning down.

Hey, he'd do something reasonable to save Edgeworth or Pearl, maybe something dangerous if they were directly in danger. But Maya isn't even confirmed to be directly in danger, but his attachment to her is so intense that he does something stupid, dangerous and irrational, almost by instinct and definitely on impulse, with no regard for his personal safety even though he knows it's dangerous.

The bridge scene itself proves nothing more than that he cares for Maya deeply, something which does not necessarily imply romantic love. Maya is possibly Phoenix's closest friend, and a strong emotional connection to someone, whether friend, lover, or otherwise is inevitably going to create a response such as Phoenix's. Yes, he knew it was dangerous, but he still risked it so he could get to Maya, that's undeniable. But he would take any chance he had to get over that bridge, as I'm sure many would if they cared about the person on the other side. No real conclusions can be drawn from the bridge scene, or at least no conclusions that show any form of romantic love, merely that he cares for her.

Moreover, there's no evidence of what he would do if Edgeworth or Pearl were in a similar situation, so any reference to it doesn't really add anything.

Quote:
And yes, the obvious symbolic parallel of this was.. eating the poison bottle in 3-1. He even gets a cold from the attempt to emphasise the connection! But, instead of being for Iris, this time it's for Maya, even more significant because Iris is the one who right now is in danger and being arrested for murder like 'she' was in 3-1.

He got a fever because otherwise he wasn't injured enough to go to court. If he didn't have a fever, he would have probably been in good condition. I don't think there's any real connection between Phoenix's cold in 3-1 and his fever in 3-5.

Quote:
Taken alone, no it's not actually proof of romantic love in itself, (despite the irony of Pearl insisting both before and after, "you'd do anything for Mystic Maya, wouldn't you? Even walk on hot coals, right?"; ironic in that unbeknownst to Pearl, her 'delusional fantasy' actually did come true!) But it adds to a very interesting body of evidence made explicit in the trial - Phoenix's attachment to Maya far eclipses any feelings or loyalty to Iris. When anything starts pointing the finger in Maya's direction, he refuses to believe even 'Iris', completely forgets he's defending Iris and almost seems to forget her existence even though she's 'missing' and possibly in danger, loses all traces of professionalism, ability to rational contradiction statements or attempts to defend Iris, becomes irrational, and finally goes into emotional breakdown. Only after Maya is safe can he resume professionalism and focus on defending Iris.

That can partly be attributed to two things aside from attachment to Maya:

a) Phoenix had been given a different story from Iris previously, and therefore was entirely shocked.
b) Phoenix had no idea who Iris was. Despite learning her identity as Dahlia's sister, there had no sufficient explanation given as to why Iris seemed to know so much about Phoenix. Moreover, the fact that 'Iris' appeared to be giving a different story to the court and accusing Maya would further cause him to lose any trust he might have had in Iris. Why should he believe her, anyway?

In the bulk of it though, you are right, he does get extremely upset about Maya. Again though, so would many if their closest friend were accused of murder in such a way. If anyone were in his fairly unstable condition (what with Maya being missing as well as still feeling sick and bruised from his fall), I would be surprised if they didn't have some kind of emotional breakdown upon hearing the news. Maya was almost like a sister to Phoenix.

Quote:
2-2. Maya's in danger! The trauma of this is so intense that everything's fading away! And then he's so desperate to have her safe he immediately hands the kidnapper a blank cheque! He's willing to do whatever the kidnapper demands, basically, he's that desperate.

When my guinea pig died, everything seemed to fade away. It seemed unreal. I'd had it for only a year or two, but I'd formed an attachment to it. Does that mean I'm in love with my guinea pig? Of course not. He had a strong sibling-like relationship with Maya, and her life was in danger. It seems natural to me that he would not hesitate to offer large sums of money. Moreover, it doesn't really make a huge difference if he didn't call the police. Phoenix wouldn't have done that with anyone, as it would be foolish and merely prompt the kidnapper to kill their 'item'.

Quote:
But he takes the case anyway in an attempt to save Maya, even though everything points to the client being guilty. Even when Engarde confesses to him, he continues defending and stalling, trying every cheap trick and ploy in the book to defend his 'client' longer. In fact, it's only Maya herself who convinces him that it's okay to get Engarde guilty and risk her, Maya basically insists to him to risk sacrificing her and get Engarde guilty and NOT save her, managing to get him the vital evidence before potentially sacrificing her life for the sake of justice and Phoenix not violating his career ethics.

First off, Enguarde appeared innocent initially - no Psyche Locks and all. Skating over the stuff I've already said about sibling-like relationships, recall that Phoenix was waiting for evidence that he believed would save Maya. Of course, he received that evidence, but the point is would he have done without the evidence he was waiting for? Perhaps he would've, but Maya had told him to get Enguarde a guilty verdict, and all the stalling might not have happened if not for the evidence. It would be debatable whether he would choose justice or Maya.

Quote:
Even after this, he tries every cheap trick he can, even pinning guilt on obviously-innocent Adrian, just for Maya's sake. When he does admit he can finally stall no longer, he's filled with remorse.
Phoenix: "Maya...
Maya... What am I supposed to do?"

Phoenix: "Maya... I'm sorry..."

He's been suffering significant distress form violating all his ethics both internally and from the public (The judge thinks he's an assassin, the crowds all loudly complain what an evil corrupt person he is, he gets a special Psychological Breakdown Over Maya sprite which didn't exist in game 1..) It's taking its toll but he keeps going for Maya's sake:
Phoenix: "This is to save Maya... This is to save Maya...
Even if the whole world turns against me, this is one fight I can't give up on."

Once more, it doesn't prove anything romantic.

Quote:
When he does finally start incriminating Engarde instead, he still clings to the hope that a 'miracle' will occur, he seemingly can't deal with the possibility Maya will indeed die. (The 'bad ending' where the 'miracle never happen' just emphasises the depths of his disillusionment, so he can't have accepted he was sacrificing Maya when he wished for a miracle here.)

I can't face the possibility that my grandmother will soon die of heart disease, and would also cling to a similar hope, though my rationality might oppose it. Phoenix certainly loves Maya, but evidence shows nothing more that he loves her as a friend or a sibling.

Quote:
Someone's life is always in Phoenix's hands in a trial - the defendant AND partially whoever he decides to imply is really guilty. I don't think Phoenix would take a case of someone he genuinely knew was guilty because some associated blackmail would risk killing Franziska. It's a severe violation of his ethics to continue defending a guilty client (and it caused him significant psychological distress), especially when it means the person he knows is innocent (like Adrian) is charged in their place.

Again, I point to the beginning of the case, when Phoenix talks to Enguarde. He asks him if he killed Corrida; Enguarde says no. Phoenix sees no Psyche Locks, and therefore believes in his client's innocence, at least until he actually confesses, at which point it was too late to quit. If it was Franziska, he possibly wouldn't have taken the case, but he certainly wouldn't quit at that point, with her life and other people's expectations resting on his shoulders.

Quote:
Phoenix would probably assist investigations where he could to try and help Franziska but he would not doggedly keep up a stalling 'defense' with every cheap ploy in the book long after he knows they're guilty and 'even if the whole world turns against me.' Note that when Maya is kidnapped, he's so worried about her safety rather than law and procedure that he makes the decision NOT to go to police and the usual justice channels, only goes to the trusted Gumshoe/Edgeworth. He's willing to break the rules way more than he would for Franziska or probably anyone else.

Probably true in the case of Franziska, but there's no real evidence for anyone else. Pearl, for example. I imagine he would go to great lengths to save her, as well. Either way, no intelligent person would go immediately to the police with someone's life at stake, even a stranger. It would merely prompt the kidnapper to kill his...kidnappee.

As for the rest, it proves nothing but that Phoenix is a loyal and compassionate friend. I imagine my personal reaction to having my closest friend kidnapped would not be much different.

Quote:
When Phoenix goes to the detention centre in 1-4 to take Edgeworth's case, he still has some doubt so he asks him point blank if he murdered the victim. Edgeworth says no and Phoenix believes him. When Edgeworth springs up in court proclaiming his guilt, Phoenix has extremely strong principled reasons (lasting since 4th grade) to support his belief in Edgeworth as a person, but he also has the rationalisations from his investigation to support them, particularly his theory of the second bullet which he constructs his defense around. When it's claimed that the bullet 'doesn't exist', he momentarily loses faith since his inherent belief was supported by this 2nd bullet, till Mia tells him it does exist and he manages to think of the real explanation.

Recall that Phoenix himself claimed that the Edgeworth he knew had "died," which I believe he said in JFA, though he was referring to sometime that was probably closer to the first game. At that point, at least (1-4), his attachment to Edgeworth was very small. He still chose to defend him nevertheless, which seems a feat in itself considering what he thought of Edgeworth.

Quote:
In 2-2, Maya just tells Phoenix that she is a murderer and not to defend her. Phoenix has not had any proper investigation or rational reasons to support innocence given to him yet (Mia only says that thing about not having dreams later.) Phoenix only has his faith in her with no rationalisations or even any claim by her of innocence to support it. He gets quite emotional and upset, but still doggedly clings to defending her:

He doesn't get all emotional over Edgeworth at the detention centre or any other client (Save 'Iris' in 3-1). But here, and in 2-4 (over Maya) and 3-5 (again over Maya), he has a significant emotional distress response.

It doesn't seem that odd looking at his past behaviour. The fact that he still had trust in Edgeworth, despite his apparently changed character, shows that he is, as I said, a loyal and compassionate friend. Now, with Maya, it's like Edgeworth but much bigger, as he clearly has a strong emotional bond with her. All of these things are easily explainable as responses to a sibling or very close friend being in danger. The two spent much of their time in the same place. It would be weird if they didn't have a strong loyalty to one another.

Quote:
I'll concede that the series took care to leave Iris open as a vague possibility (since it would be cruel otherwise to bring back some ex-girlfriend for parts of the audience to get attached to and then immediately say there was no chance whatsoever), but they seem to have gone out of their way to imply that a future together is very unlikely and not the canon intention.

Then the writers have weird ways of indicating things. I was left with the distinct feeling that the two were still in love.

Quote:
3-5 is all about how Phoenix has matured and Godot's impression of him is in error. His career is vindicated as not a fluke based on stupid irrational belief and luck. Phoenix has matured since the incident (just like Mia matured from the Dahlia-trauma of 3-4) but like Godot/Diego, Iris was stuck in a limbo of guilt (Diego in a coma.)

I really can't see the comparison between Godot and Mia and Phoenix and Iris as a fair one. The Godot/Mia situation is clearly stated, but the Phoenix/Iris situation is pure speculation.

Quote:
She doesn't warn Phoenix against the poison in 3-1 and Swallow (and almost Phoenix) dies,

Though she could have told him of Dahlia's evils beforehand, she had no knowledge that Dahlia was going to attempt to kill Phoenix, and thought that she had convinced Dahlia not to kill him. She merely was trying to retrieve the potion, and why? Because she believed in her sister, and wanted to regain her trust. Despite that, she did not expect either of them to die, as Dahlia had not told her. Of course she felt guilty, but it's hardly a comparison.
Quote:
even 5 years later, she still doesn't warn Phoenix about the impending murder and Misty (and almost Maya) dies. The story repeats itself.

Again, she did not expect her to necessarily die. The idea was to foil Morgan's plan, not to kill Misty Fey. The original intent was to get Pearl to go and see Elise/Misty up in her room, which she didn't do, at which point they decided to have Misty channel Dahlia. Moreover, it was a private issue, and one which she had no reason to discuss with Phoenix.

Quote:
Phoenix can give her validation that she is not the same as murderous Dahlia and free her from her guilt, but Iris is left behind as something relevant to his past. It's closure, like Diego finally has over Mia. Phoenix has moved on, Iris can only now begin to move on but she's stuck 5 years behind.

Phoenix does not explicitly state this. He does free her, as such, from her guilt, but there is no proof that he has fully moved. I point, as many have, to the credits scene, which, while not infallible proof of attraction, certainly seems to suggest the contrary.
Quote:
The nature of their relationship in 3-1 is so superficial that it's as if the writers deliberately wanted us to disbelieve it as empty. We really don't' get any indication whatsoever that they can actually function in a working partnership, instead we just get two very obvious examples of almost unbelievable level of communication failure with deadly consequences, one of which is in the present so things haven't changed. This is the evidence the canon gives us!

There's two large problems with your case:

a) There is no evidence that their relationship is empty or not. We see nothing of Iris and Phoenix together. Phoenix, nor the player, does not, at any point, see Iris during 3-1, which means that firstly, the testimony of Dahlia proves nothing, as she was not in the relationship. She's completely superficial anyway, so it stands to reason that she would interpret love, an emotion that inspires altruism, as such. Secondly, Phoenix testifying alone does not prove anything about his relationship. What does he do? He claims that he loves his "Dollie" and that she would never betray him, which she didn't. No judgement can be made on the nature of their relationship from 3-1.

b) I'm assuming the "communication failures" are the two instances you mentioned earlier. The first is questionable. As Iris didn't know that Phoenix was to be killed, she had no pressing reason to tell him about the poison, especially at the beginning of their relationship, when she only wanted the bottle. She thought that Phoenix was safe from Dahlia. What she really wanted initially was her sister's trust back, and when she fell in love with Phoenix, she became torn. You can hardly blame her, too. It does nothing but point out flaws in human nature, ones that any of the characters could have fallen into. The first instance provides no canon evidence of a poor relationship, as this supposed communication failure can be attributed to Dahlia. As for the second instance, I already went over that entirely. Iris had no reason to tell him, as it couldn't affect him, and they weren't even going to kill anyone originally in the first place.

Quote:
In stark contrast, the popular Phoenix/Maya and Phoenix/Edgeworth have the games littered with examples that the pairs can complement each others' personalities in a mutually beneficial functional relationship.

Platonic relationship. There is nothing to suggest anything more in Maya's case. Phoenix/Edgeworth does have the occasional hint, but it seems, at its best, one-sided.

Quote:
In the ending, Phoenix and Maya will be together and Edgeworth is shown to be prepared to rush from the other side of the world, whilst Iris is in jail and Phoenix even looking at her is thwarted by the writers' own indicator, Pearl.

If you can call Phoenix and Iris' relationship "superficial" with no prior evidence, I don't see how you can call Pearl's silly fantasies legitimate hints of anything. The writers intended her sections to be a bit of comic relief.

Moreover, Iris' jailing seems to make the pairing more likely, looking at GS4. Whilst Iris can be accounted for, seeing as she would still most likely be in jail (accomplice to murder, after all), Maya and Edgeworth are nowhere to be found. At least Iris still exists. I would guess that she would be in jail for a number of years, and that's in a pretty liberal place too. Nevertheless, it seems to imply that Iris is one of the few members of the original cast that could still be nearby, and looking at the standard of Adrian Andrews' virtually non-existent penalty after tampering with a crime scene, I can't imagine her being in jail for any longer than twenty years in Phoenixwrightland.

Quote:
If they had wanted to imply a future in canon, it would have been so easy to make a more typical ending, like maybe a date with Iris or a proper indication of feelings in the credits,

I could say the same about any character. Neither Maya nor Edgeworth became canon either.

Quote:
but instead they just jail her, a flawed character akin to Godot/Diego.

Already explained why I see this as beneficial, rather than the reverse.

Quote:
Even when Iris makes her big love confession to Phoenix, Phoenix does not respond with anything in any way implying anything romantic. That would have been a key moment to imply the possibility of Phoenix/Iris as canon but they didn't.

It's more than they ever gave to Maya, firstly. Ignoring that though, he hadn't been with her for six years, all this other nonsense was happening, and I think he'd just be completely overwhelmed by that point, and in no shape to make a romantic confession. I see it as a new beginning for Phoenix/Iris, not evidence against it. It suggests that a relationship between them could happen in the future, if not immediately. To say it then would be hasty and unrealistic. I doubt anyone would behave like that. He'd already opened a six-year-old can of worms, and it needed more time to heal.

Quote:
The sole 'evidence' we get is that Phoenix may have some lingering physical attraction, but that doesn't mean he considers a future relationship viable. (I mean, there are probably a hundred million people on earth any one person would find somewhat attractive but could you expect a functional relationship with most of them?) And the writers slap it down immediately. Note he didn't even go alone, only with both Pearl and Maya?

At least he's shown some sort of attraction, something which he's never done with Maya. Maya was always just like a sister to him, but he actually was attracted by Iris. Moreover, the game frequently hints at this attraction, whether by having Maya make jokes about it. Pearl hardly counts as "slapping it down," she's a fantasizing nine-year-old put in for some comic relief. The credits scene seems to suggest that he does want to get back together with her to me, and I see no reason why Pearl should be able to get in the way. Also, he obviously went alone for the credits scene, because Iris starts talking about "everyone else" and Pearl in the third person. Also, I'd hardly call "constantly [having] your eyes on me" lingering physical attraction. I'd call it longing.

DarkRidley wrote:
[...]

That was long. Well, I'll address your points soon.

No offensive but this whole debate is a big waste of time. It reminds me of Tifa vs. Aeris for Cloud in FF7. Why are you guys hate Iris so much? I dunno.

As a fan of Phoenix/Iris, I think she deserves a second chance.

You've been hit by, a smooth prosecutor

I can't beleive the ammount of hatred for :phoenix: / :ayame: . Especially when it comes down to a lengthy debate like the one above. Some like it, some don't. Leave it at that.

As for my opinion on it; :phoenix: / :maya: has some merit (and cuteness, because of :pearly: ) but :phoenix: / :ayame: is the most logical IMO.

Here's your Kryptonite haters :karma:

My 1,000th post. :pearl:

Johnny Rotan wrote:
I can't beleive the ammount of hatred for :phoenix: / :ayame: . Especially when it comes down to a lengthy debate like the one above. Some like it, some don't. Leave it at that.

If you say 'I like the idea of Phoenix and Iris together, so I like to imagine they get together after 3-5' that's great! Have fun.

But the title of this topic is a question basically, "Does Phoenix get into a relationship with Iris after 3-5?" (not 'Do you like Phoenix/Iris') And it's a widely held view that the writers never actually intended to imply that Iris was going to be the 'canon-implied' girlfriend after 3-5. The way the story and relationship is executed in the games does not point to the writers wanting to indicate post 3-5 Phoenix/Iris as anything but a very remote chance. The problem happens when Phoenix/Iris fans claim that Iris is strongly implied by the canon as 'Phoenix's future girlfriend', when she isn't. (Also, not supporting Phoenix/Iris post 3-5 does not mean you 'hate Iris'.)

And yes, DarkRidley, I'm still going to reply to you when I have the time to do your post justice. (I have no idea how the thread veered to attacking Phoenix/Maya, but if someone has issues, it's just polite to address them :) The pairing does stand up to scrutiny... and there's no way I'd make such a dismissive claim over Phoenix/Iris if I didn't have reasoning to back it up, even if I personally didn't like the pairing.)

Squirtle!

As much as I support the Nick and Iris relationship, I'd have to support the Maya/Phoenix one just simply because they had gone through so much together, whereas Iris had abandoned him after Dahlia got arrested for murder. I vote the Larry/Iris relationship though (lol).

Iris didn't "abandon" Phoenix. :yuusaku: She got out of his life because, after everything that happened with Dahlia, she thought it would be best if she stayed away from him so he could heal and move on.

Icy, its just a game. Its up to the creators to create whatever they want. I dunno about Phoenix/Maya or Phoenix/Iris, but I know they're not going have Phoenix/Edgeworth .

The reason there are Phoenix/Iris fans out there is because the pairing kinda fits perfectly, unlike pairing with a girl who is 7 years younger or a yaoi pairing.

DarkRidley wrote:

Well, DarkRidley, your reply.

Spoiler: Addressing your points....
Quote:
The bridge scene itself proves nothing more than that he cares for Maya deeply, something which does not necessarily imply romantic love. Moreover, there's no evidence of what he would do if Edgeworth or Pearl were in a similar situation, so any reference to it doesn't really add anything.

He crosses the bridge because she ‘might’ be in danger, not even because he knows she ‘is’ in danger. I ALREADY said that of course the bridge scene alone is not ‘proof’ of Phoenix’s romantic love (though it’s proof of love, he’d DIE for her without thinking twice.) . The point is the context. If Iris is to be the ‘canon implied future girlfriend’, opportunities to engineer connections would have been devoted to her in this case to elevate her to that role.

Instead, the writers choose to have a scene implying a HUGE connection of love to Maya consume the spotlight, at the expense of engineering potential connections to Iris. (Don’t say this is invalid because ‘he didn’t know who Iris was then’ the story could have been re-arranged in any way. The Maya scene didn’t’ even have to happen, he could have been put out of action a different way.)

Speculating about whether he ‘maybe’ would have done it for Pearl or Edgeworth is irrelevant. The writers choose to present this and this alone, advance the portrayal of one insanely close relationship here, Phoenix->Maya. They suddenly throw massive evidence of extreme love (romantic or otherwise, it’s irrelevant in terms of bearing on Iris) toward Maya, NOT his re-introduced ‘love interest’, Iris. Then yet again in the trial, it’s Maya who he breaks down utterly over; Maya who he clings with undying belief to; Maya with whom he’s again proved to have a extreme emotional attachment eclipsing all else, again NOT Iris even though she’s the one on trial and would have been in a commanding position to receive greater attention from the writers. Instead the writers just use the case to continually imply Phoenix’s closest attachment is to Maya, which is the opposite of what we’d expect if they’re trying to engineer a framework for a future Phoenix/Iris implied by canon.

Whether or not it’s ‘romantic’ love toward Maya is irrelevant, regardless it is proven to be a far stronger loyalty than anything the writers choose to depict towards Iris. Not the kind of implications you set up for a canon future Phoenix/Iris (though fitting in that I guess arguably Iris’ strongest loyalty was to Dahlia.) The writers are kind enough not to immediately ‘sink the ship’ but it’s never implied as the favoured pairing of canon intention, arguably coming behind Phoenix/Maya, Phoenix/Edgeworth and Phoenix/nobody.

Quote:
He got a fever because otherwise he wasn't injured enough to go to court. If he didn't have a fever, he would have probably been in good condition. I don't think there's any real connection between Phoenix's cold in 3-1 and his fever in 3-5.

Oh come on, he fell off a BURNING BRIDGE. How about giving him burns, broken bones, concussion, injuries from fall impact which required several days attention to prevent him from attending court etc. a COLD is not what we expect from that kind of accident, yet it’s precisely what we got in 3-1, an obvious link. And just like the poison bottle, various lucky elements have conspired that it’s not fatal.

Quote:
That can partly be attributed to two things aside from attachment to Maya:

Phoenix had no idea who Iris was. Despite learning her identity as Dahlia's sister, …would further cause him to lose any trust he might have had in Iris. Why should he believe her, anyway?

Nah. the basis of the plot (and Phoenix/Iris, really) is that he thought that Iris might be his girlfriend from pre-trial 3-1 (and he always maintained evil twin Dahlia was some kind of fake, he even tells Mia this after the trial). And when Dahlia is revealed as Dahlia, it’s obvious that Iris was the girlfriend he really knew at least some of the time. Only final confirmation and revealing the extent it was Iris and not Dahlia in the relationship is required.

Why should he believe Iris anyway? Because he always did believe in Iris, that’s the point of Phoenix/Iris. Most importantly, why exactly are the writers choosing to depict some extreme psychological breakdown over Maya and further emphasise their attachment?. It’s not like he had them in other cases. They could have used the time to establish attachment to Iris, if they were setting her up as ‘future girlfriend’.

Quote:
2-2[...]

I thought this topic was about Iris… Throughout the games, a steadily building emotional attachment is engineered by the writers between Phoenix and Maya. Is he ‘in love’ in 2-2? Of course not. Are things moving steadily into a more intense emotional intertwinement that just increases throughout the whole of the series and is implied by canon as moving closer to a romantic direction? Why, yes it is. Phoenix and Maya are not actively engaged in a ‘romantic relationship’ in game 2 or 3. However, abundant evidence is supplied to (arguably deliberately) imply the potential for future Phoenix/Maya romance. The canon begins to imply this in game 2. And nothing is ever generated to deny this potential.

Quote:
x incident in game 2 does not ‘prove’ romantic love

I could address all these individually if you really want, but this is too long so I state:

Game 1 did not set up more than a friendship between Phoenix and Maya, however in game 2 the writers deliberately set up the CONCEPT of future romance between Phoenix and Maya as a plausible, reasonable, beneficial and relevant scenario to both characters. This is NOT framed in a ‘can only ever be siblings’ bond, undertones of potential for romance in the relationship are expressed by the writers. (A big deal is made by the writers of setting up the fact Maya is now an adult with her own reputation in occult circles, she stays with Phoenix because she likes him, not because she has nowhere else to go, and the potential for a romantic edge to their relationship is established by the writers.)

Quote:
First off, Enguarde appeared innocent initially - no Psyche Locks and all Phoenix was waiting for evidence that he believed would save Maya. Of course, he received that evidence, but the point is would he have done without the evidence he was waiting for? Perhaps he would've, but Maya had told him to get Enguarde a guilty verdict, and all the stalling might not have happened if not for the evidence. It would be debatable whether he would choose justice or Maya.

Phoenix could have turned on Engarde and indicted him in court, at any time after Engarde explicitly admitted his guilt. Instead, he still doggedly perseveres in stalling, even after Maya told him to get the guilty verdict. The stalling isn’t just over the ‘evidence’ it’s also to give time for the police to ‘find Maya.’

The scenario if the evidence hadn’t arrived and he couldn’t get Engarde guilty and save Maya is irrelevant; it’s the sheer extent he went to in potentially destroying his reputation, career, morals and ethics. He was willing to put all these on the line for days on end, driven to the brink - something he would not have carried out for anything beyond a very superficial point for Franziska or even Edgeworth. And he does so even after Maya has demanded he get Engarde guilty instead of saving her (Maya knew it meant her likely death –she tells Pearl to look after Nick after she’s gone.) He didn’t consider only briefly whether or not to ruin all his most fundamental career and moral ethics in favour of saving Maya – it took him days on end driven to the utmost of extreme to even contemplate not to.

Quote:
As for the rest, it proves nothing but that Phoenix is a loyal and compassionate friend. I imagine my personal reaction to having my closest friend kidnapped would not be much different.

Would you risk a ‘miracle never happen’ style ending on your life to save them, violating everything your life and career ever stood for?

Quote:
Once more, it doesn't prove anything romantic.

NOTHING individual in any game ‘proves’ romance of any couple. There are no canon pairings, only heavily implied ones – and some far more deliberately implied by canon than others.
Quote:
I can't face the possibility that my grandmother will soon die of heart disease, and would also cling to a similar hope, though my rationality might oppose it. Phoenix certainly loves Maya, but evidence shows nothing more that he loves her as a friend or a sibling.

You’re admitting it now, so obviously part of you can (let’s hope the example isn’t literal.) So, you’re going to deny your love for your grandmother? You love her by virtue of genetic relation and life role since you were born. Phoenix and Maya did not ‘grow up together’, are adults, are not related, and have only known each other ~2years, yet some other insanely strong bond of love has formed, unarguably by 3-5. Can it be quantified as specifically romantic in 2-4? Probably not. Does this mean it cannot evolve further in a romantic direction?

The bond of extreme love between Phoenix and Maya merely increases steadily during the course of the games. Maya complements and supports him in a away that ‘siblings’ really don’t. ‘Cousins’ would be closer (how many older brothers would let their younger sister treat him like Maya does Nick? They’re equals in a curious sort of way.) But what’s more intense chemistry has been established between them. Nothing is ever implied to quash the potential of their canon love developing further to include admitted romantic feelings. All the basis is already excessively and blatantly established in canon, making it an entirely plausible scenario.

It’s an atypical romance and an atypical path to romance, but that’s half the attraction. Stereotypes and Mary Sues are boring.

Not it’s not ‘canon’ but it’s a possibility strongly supported and implied by canon. In contrast, past Phoenix/Iris is canon but future Phoenix/Iris is only ever implied as a very vague possibility. The option to ship Phoenix/Iris is canon, claiming it’s the most likely pair implied by canon is not.

Quote:
Recall that Phoenix himself claimed that the Edgeworth he knew had "died," which I believe he said in JFA, though he was referring to sometime that was probably closer to the first game. At that point, at least (1-4), his attachment to Edgeworth was very small. He still chose to defend him nevertheless, which seems a feat in itself considering what he thought of Edgeworth.

I think you must have forgotten game 1 and 2 then. Phoenix saved Edgeworth when he believed that the Edgeworth he knew as a 9 year old had not really died and he still believed in him as deep down still that person from the class trial, not a murderer or ‘demon prosecutor’. That’s the point of game 1. It’s only after he’s gone to the trouble of saving him and Edgeworth disappears anyway that Phoenix feels betrayed and stops believing in him, because he assumes Edgeworth left over his ‘perfect record’ being destroyed and his belief was in vain. Losing attachment to Edgeworth only occurs after 1-4 (and after 1-5, if we include it, remember 1-5? his attachment to Edgeworth there is still strong and it’s a while after 1-4.)

Quote:
It doesn't seem that odd looking at his past behaviour. The fact that he still had trust in Edgeworth, despite his apparently changed character, shows that he is, as I said, a loyal and compassionate friend. Now, with Maya, it's like Edgeworth but much bigger, as he clearly has a strong emotional bond with her. All of these things are easily explainable as responses to a sibling or very close friend being in danger. The two spent much of their time in the same place. It would be weird if they didn't have a strong loyalty to one another.

But it’s not just loyalty. Not only does he believe in her, but the thought that he can’t rationalise an evidence based reason to do so (and she keeps telling him she’s guilty) clearly hurts. A lot. And the intense bond grew in… less than a year together and she’s been away training for many months and hasn’t even seen him? It is unusual to build this type of intense loyalty and attachment so quickly. (Before you object - No of course nobody is trying to claim such an incident is ‘proof of romance’ – but the mutual relationship which is built up and develops further over the course of the trilogy is very, very interesting..)

Quote:
Then the writers have weird ways of indicating things. I was left with the distinct feeling that the two were still in love.

I wasn’t. Earlier, you kept saying he didn’t even know who Iris was till the end. If they were still in love all this time, why did Phoenix not confess at the opportunity of the court scene or (even more tellingly) in the credits visit. The writers had ample opportunity to do so.

Quote:
I really can't see the comparison between Godot and Mia and Phoenix and Iris as a fair one. The Godot/Mia situation is clearly stated, but the Phoenix/Iris situation is pure speculation.

Throughout game 3, for purpose of writing the trios Phoenix-Iris-Dahlia and Mia–Diego-Godot are obviously two sides of the same coin. There are excessive amounts of symbolism and parallels established between them. I have a huge amount of reasoning to back up this assertion – and I’m happy to provide it, but I don’t know how many pages the essay will be….

Quote:
Quote:
She doesn't warn Phoenix against the poison in 3-1 and Swallow (and almost Phoenix) dies,

Though she could have told him of Dahlia's evils beforehand, she had no knowledge that Dahlia was going to attempt to kill Phoenix,

Iris knew Dahlia wanted to kill Phoenix. That’s why she started the ill-fated bottle retrieval sessions in the first place. She knew Dahlia was going to kill him and hoped that she could get the bottle back instead so she wouldn’t’ ‘have’ to kill him for it. After 6 whole months of not getting the bottle, she must have known Dahlia was losing patience. Iris didn’t know the exact day Dahlia was doing the deed, but she knew it was a time-bomb waiting to go off. Seriously, 6 months? It might have been unexpected after 1 or 2 months but by 6 months she would know Dahlia would imminently lose patience. Him not being killed was contingent on returning the bottle, after all – Dahlia hadn’t said she wouldn’t kill him, only agreed not to if the bottle was retrieved through the non-lethal method. That was the deal they made, not that she wouldn’t kill Phoenix, only that she’d give Iris a chance to try something first – something which it was clear wasn’t going to work.

Quote:
Quote:
even 5 years later, she still doesn't warn Phoenix about the impending murder and Misty (and almost Maya) dies. The story repeats itself.

Again, she did not expect her to necessarily die. The idea was to foil Morgan's plan, not to kill Misty Fey. The original intent was to get Pearl to go and see Elise/Misty up in her room, which she didn't do, at which point they decided to have Misty channel Dahlia. Moreover, it was a private issue, and one which she had no reason to discuss with Phoenix.

Private? Iris can tell that Maya is important to Phoenix, right away. If someone is planning to kill her, he’d want to know about it. Or maybe… tell Maya about it? It would be nice to warn her someone might murder her tonight so she can watch her back? Like Godot admits later, the entire thing could have been prevented by telling Phoenix in the first place, he and Iris had colluded over it for a while (of course, it’s not Iris’ fault she didn’t go to Phoenix pre-his arrival at Hazakurain, but she knew about it well in advance and could have told police, Maya or not gone along with the stupid dangerous plan in the first place. Just like in 3-1! Exactly like 3-1 she just goes along with a stupid, dangerous plan with high risk of failing to protect anybody (and someone dies over it both times) without warning those in danger (Phoenix, Maya) and without telling police or other parties which most likely could have prevented the situation. Even the justice system decided Iris’ actions were faulty and puts her in jail.
Quote:
He does free her, as such, from her guilt, but there is no proof that he has fully moved.

Where is the proof set up by the writer’s canon that she is still fundamentally relevant to his life now? Relevant enough that even though he has changed and matured from his 3-1 situation, there is a relevance and need for IRIS in this life?
Quote:
There is no evidence that their relationship is empty or not. We see nothing of Iris and Phoenix together. Phoenix, nor the player, does not, at any point, see Iris during 3-1

Actually, the writers do choose to give us a depiction of their relationship, as narrated by Phoenix. Even though we never see Iris, how the writers choose to portray their relationship is obviously how the writers desire us to interpret it! And Phoenix’s perceptions of Iris don’t seem to be very grounded in reality, as is evidenced by lines such as:
Phoenix:
What are you SAYING,
Miss Fey!?

Phoenix:
Toilet!?
My perfect little Dollie
doesn't poop!
---
Phoenix:
Mmm! Her mini-omelettes are
magically delicious!
Eheh heh heh.

and the basis for his falling ‘madly in love’ in the first place is under the misapprehension that being given the bottle was a profession of ‘her’ love, which so immediately moved him. (You note even the Judge is immediately seduced by Dahlia to her whims.)

Phoenix:
As soon as I first set eyes
on her, I knew she was the
one for me.

And it was actually Dahlia who he first set eyes on and ‘fell madly in love’, under the context of the poison bottle being a love confession. He was in love with an illusion before he even met Iris.

Quote:
I'm assuming the "communication failures" are the two instances you mentioned earlier. The first is questionable. As Iris didn't know that Phoenix was to be killed. The first instance provides no canon evidence of a poor relationship, as this supposed communication failure can be attributed to Dahlia.

No it can’t. Say there’s a dangerous precipice where there’s proven that there’s about to be a landslide. I know it’s going to happen.. it might be today, or next week, but it’s guaranteed to happen soon. Oh, this guy who’s in love with me camps day in and day out right where the rocks are imminently going to fall. Every time I visit, I venture pathetically… “Could you maybe move now, please?”

“Why?” queries Boyfriend – but I don’t give a REASON. So he doesn’t. I do this every day for 6 months. He ignores me. (I don’t tell anyone else, or put up preventatives to minimise rock damage, or try any other method to minimise risk)… After 6 months, I turn up one day and… Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies. It’s the rocks’ fault Boyfriend is dead – but it’s entirely my fault that the communication was a failure. It’s my fault I couldn’t succeed in warning him and preventing disaster, not the rock’s.
Quote:
As for the second instance, I already went over that entirely. Iris had no reason to tell him, as it couldn't affect him, and they weren't even going to kill anyone originally in the first place.

Maya dying sounds like it would affect him greatly, but I also covered that before… She knew Morgan/Dahlia definitely planned to kill Maya that night, she merely hoped it would be prevented by their risky method.

Quote:
Quote:
In stark contrast, the popular Phoenix/Maya and Phoenix/Edgeworth have the games littered with examples that the pairs can complement each others' personalities in a mutually beneficial functional relationship.

Platonic relationship. There is nothing to suggest anything more in Maya's case.

The point of this is that both relationships are shown as being feasible as a functional and mutually beneficial relationship. Relationships which could work in a romantic context as partners, with complementary personalities and characteristics already proven throughout the games to work as [non-romantic] partners. However, everything we are given by the writers of Phoenix/Iris points to severe dysfunction and failure to communicate or work together on critical issues. They’re in love ‘because they are’, without required personality dynamics or chemistry to demonstrate much partnership beyond this superficiality. And what we are given of them interacting together on anything significant is negative. If the writers wanted to imply functionality in the relationship they had opportunity to do so, but instead they just imply dysfunction, both in the past and present, with lethal consequences.

Quote:
If you can call Phoenix and Iris' relationship "superficial" with no prior evidence, I don't see how you can call Pearl's silly fantasies legitimate hints of anything. The writers intended her sections to be a bit of comic relief.

‘Comic relief’ of an insistence of a (not entirely implausible potential relationship) is a strange type of comic relief to choose for no reason. No, the fantasies themselves are obviously delusional and not to be taken literally, but Pearl is a vector used by the writers to advance certain perspectives and imply certain comments. And what’s being implied by the writers here is very obvious. Pearl isn’t even on the credit screen, so they had no reason other than lack of canon support to choose to ruin what would have been the perfect opportunity to imply the hint of further Phoenix/Iris, not hit it with such a resounding disaffirmation.
Quote:
Moreover, Iris' jailing seems to make the pairing more likely, looking at GS4. Whilst Iris can be accounted for, seeing as she would still most likely be in jail (accomplice to murder, after all), Maya and Edgeworth are nowhere to be found. At least Iris still exists. I would guess that she would be in jail for a number of years, and that's in a pretty liberal place too. Nevertheless, it seems to imply that Iris is one of the few members of the original cast that could still be nearby, and looking at the standard of Adrian Andrews' virtually non-existent penalty after tampering with a crime scene, I can't imagine her being in jail for any longer than twenty years in Phoenixwrightland.

Wrong. Maya is the only one proven to exist, there is not evidence, even in Easter Eggs of Iris in game 4. In fact, Maya is the only one of those 3 proven to be in close communication with Phoenix (she’s sent ~100 DVDs, from Steel Samurai series including those from after game 3, and Phoenix feels compelled to writer reports on 'every single episode'’ so it must be the tip of the iceberg of their communication.

I don’t think she would have been in jail very long, Bikini talks about ‘when Iris comes back’ to Hazakurain. A few years, 5 max? Adrian hardly got anything. I don’t think she’s in jail at GS4 time. And aren’t they even less likely to be relevant to each other then? How did the game ever establish that they had some kind of fundamental cosmic relevance of that kind, that they were, say ‘soul mates’? It’s a nice fantasy, so enjoy yourself with it, but it’s unrealistic to say it has any functional support in the actual canon.

In addition, 3-5 was designed as an ending, so whatever is shown in game 4 has no bearing on what the writers chose to imply in 3-5 as Phoenix’s likely future.
Quote:
Quote:
If they had wanted to imply a future in canon, it would have been so easy to make a more typical ending, like maybe a date with Iris or a proper indication of feelings in the credits,

I could say the same about any character. Neither Maya nor Edgeworth became canon either.

No you can’t. Though the official policy is no explicit canon ship for Phoenix, because the writers are well aware of multiple preferred pairings in the fanbase and want an ending which will please everyone, significant canon support was thrown behind pairings other than Iris and not enough canon support was given to present/future Iris to render it as a likely implied ‘canon future girlfriend’ for Phoenix’s ‘happy ending.’

Edgeworth won’t be canon due to controversy. However, unlike Iris, no evidence is ever given to dissuade the Phoenix/Edgeworth reading of game 1 and the writers kindly supply additional hints to support the idea in games 2 and 3 (being overseas doesn’t stop him rushing back in the middle of the night!).

Iris was introduced in the role of ‘past girlfriend’ but next to nothing was done by the writers to develop her status to a game role feasible as ‘future girlfriend.’ Instead, time which could have been devoted to this was spend on articulating the Phoenix-Maya relationship to even greater extremes of attachment. This merely built on the relationship the writers have developed between them over the course of the 3 games. The foundation supporting a potential future romance as totally reasonable and feasible is laid by the canon in abundance, not making it explicitly ‘canon’ is irrelevant. (People are free to DECIDE they want to see it as only ever being ‘familial’… or not.)

However, the necessary foundation was not laid for Phoenix/Iris to make it a natural implied assumption from the canon. Iris would have required more development to bring her to the role of ‘implied canon future girlfriend’ – development the writers chose not to give her.

And of course, Maya is still at Wright and Co with Phoenix, Edgeworth is just a call away… and Iris is in jail.
Quote:
Quote:
Even when Iris makes her big love confession to Phoenix, Phoenix does not respond with anything in any way implying anything romantic. That would have been a key moment to imply the possibility of Phoenix/Iris as canon but they didn't.

It's more than they ever gave to Maya, firstly.

The entire weight of canon is behind the Phoenix/Maya relationship concept. He loves her intensely, he’d die for her (and she for him – AND THEY PROVE IT), they complement each other like they’ve found their cliched 'other half', he’d do almost anything for her, he mopes and pines without her, she’s his emotional and functional support, he finds her invaluable to him… There’s nothing to imply Phoenix would feel or do any of this for Iris in the present, nor is there the slightest assertion of present romantic feelings or expressed desire to continue the relationship even when the opportunity is specifically given, like in such a scene, or the jail one.
Quote:
At least he's shown some sort of attraction, something which he's never done with Maya. Maya was always just like a sister to him, but he actually was attracted by Iris.

Phoenix actually does show evidence of attraction to Maya. When they first met, she was sightly too young for him to be hitting on her (a big deal is made that she’s an ‘adult’ when she returns in game 2, this is where the subtext begins). In 3-3, all that’s needed is Phoenix to view her slightly out of context:
Phoenix enters Tres Bien, alone, after Maya has begun working there

Maya [offscreen]: Welcome. Bee-avenue
Phoenix: Wow. What a cute voice.
Maya: Oh. It's just you, Nick.
Phoenix: M-Maya! <discomposure!
Maya: Well? How do I look? [in maid costume]
Phoenix: ...
Maybe you should quit being a spirit medium.

In other words, this implies he must think she looks good in it! [Since there's no other way of rationalising away what he said.]

And then Old Seedy Guy doesn’t think Maya’s up to scratch in terms of attractiveness, which just further implies that Phoenix’s taste runs specifically to ‘Maya’.

Here it’s proven: physical attraction developing between them is entirely possible, they are not people who ‘can never find each other physically attractive’. As for Maya? With the way she acts around Phoenix (physical contact, not denying and even playing up idea of romance etc.) she’s broken every rule in the ‘I can never be physically attracted to you’ book. Trust me.
Quote:
Moreover, the game frequently hints at this attraction, whether by having Maya make jokes about it. Pearl hardly counts as "slapping it down," she's a fantasizing nine-year-old put in for some comic relief. The credits scene seems to suggest that he does want to get back together with her to me, and I see no reason why Pearl should be able to get in the way. Also, he obviously went alone for the credits scene, because Iris starts talking about "everyone else" and Pearl in the third person. Also, I'd hardly call "constantly [having] your eyes on me" lingering physical attraction. I'd call it longing.

And why in a case ‘supposedly’ designed to establish connections to imply Iris as a ‘happy ending implied canon girlfriend’ was the entire thing overshadowed and spotlight consumed by hurling the sheer extent of Phoenix’s attachment to Maya to previously unprecedented extremes? It’s basically THE climatic moment of the series, Phoenix’s breakdown over MAYA when he thinks she’s dead, obliterating any attention to Iris the writers might have instead chosen to form.

So hey, ship Phoenix/Iris all you like as a vague possibility you prefer to think happened - the canon gives you that. But trying to claim that the writers intended Iris to be strongly implied as Phoenix's future girlfriend...

My argument was that Iris was not intended by the writers to be implied as a serious contender as a 'canon girlfriend' role post 3-5. Supposedly, your argument is that Iris was implied to be the most serious contender to fill the 'canon implied girlfriend' role post 3-5 ie. Iris is intentionally implied by canon to be likely to fulfill the role of 'canon girlfriend' after the credits.

How have the writers implied that Iris is directly relevant to Phoenix's life now? How have they demonstrated that the presence of her character in his life would be of immense benefit, in order to engineer a canon utility to this relationship? How have they signified the basis for their worthwhile partnership during the abundant opportunities of the entire writing-space of the lengthy 3-1 and 3-5 combined?
How have they implied that Phoenix, now so matured from his 3-1 self and gained so many other new relationships during the trilogy, still requires the presence of canon girlfriend Iris in his life as a worthwhile asset or need for his character? Assuming your theory is true, they will have conclusively proved such things in the game.

A literal ghost from the past - and technically the 'beginning' of Phoenix's journey of personal growth and law career path - resurfaces. Phoenix defeats the ghost from the past, eclipses his mentor to the heights of lawyer competency whilst finishing her life's work, proves himself as being vindicated in his career not being a 'fluke' and the personal growth since 3-1 under Mia being affirmed. He finds final closure on his trauma after his greatest test.

So, how have the writers implied that in making peace with Iris and closure over the incident, anything but closure is NEEDED in his association with Iris? How have the writers implied that he again desires or requires her support to his character to continue in the present and future? If Iris is the 'canon implied' future girlfriend role, such things would have been strongly implied in the canon of 3-1 and 3-5 and a framework supporting their future together would have begun to have been constructed. If Iris is still relevant, canon present relevance would have been established.

You dismiss Phoenix/Maya because it's 'familial'. Prove it. What in the games ever implies that Phoenix and Maya's relationship can only ever be and will only be 'familial' at any future point in time, that it is either unreasonable or impossible that admitted romantic feelings will spring forth. You must think you have some weighty evidence to preclude the future possibility of it ever taking on a romantic edge, as the entire canon has been spent developing an intense love, partnership, mutually beneficial dynamic and working relationship. There'd be no 'building up' a relationship, relevance or intense love: it's all already there.

It's fine to say 'I prefer to think it won't happen because I don't like the idea of it ever being more than familial' - that's a perfectly acceptable option with the ending. But trying to claim that implying of the strong possibility of future relationship doesn't exist in canon is unreasonable.

Anyway, there's probably not much point in deconstructing every line in the game yet again, so have fun with Phoenix/Iris, just don't claim it's strongly implied by canon as Phoenix's likely future.

:objection:

In the quote in the above mind numbing post i found a contradiction in this portion (highlited).
Quote:
Phoenix actually does show evidence of attraction to Maya. When they first met, she was sightly too young for him to be hitting on her (a big deal is made that she’s an ‘adult’ when she returns in game 2, this is where the subtext begins). In 3-3, all that’s needed is Phoenix to view her slightly out of context:
Phoenix enters Tres Bien, alone, after Maya has begun working there

Maya [offscreen]: Welcome. Bee-avenue
Phoenix: Wow. What a cute voice.
Maya: Oh. It's just you, Nick.
Phoenix: M-Maya! <discomposure!
Maya: Well? How do I look? [in maid costume]
Phoenix: ...
Maybe you should quit being a spirit medium.

In other words, this implies he must think she looks good in it! [Since there's no other way of rationalising away what he said.]

And then Old Seedy Guy doesn’t think Maya’s up to scratch in terms of attractiveness, which just further implies that Phoenix’s taste runs specifically to ‘Maya’.

Kudo didn't find Maya attractive because he viewed her as too young. And here's the proof:
:takethat:
Image Image

And the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd8vKiOwJs0

At least we know he isn't part of Gant's club :meekins:

1337aznprincesz

my opinion on him 'staring' at her is that he can't believe this is actually the girl he was with all those years ago.
i like to believe that she loves him but he doesn't return the feelings.
because i hate her with a passion. D:<
and i'm a big phoenix/maya lover.

Johnny Rotan wrote:
In the quote in the above mind numbing post i found a contradiction in this portion (highlited)....
Kudo didn't find Maya attractive because he viewed her as too young. And here's the proof:

So what? The point still stands that he found her physically 'unattractive', the exact 'reasoning' he had for it was irrelevant. (I mean, Maya wasn't actually under-age). And I can't see that it voids my argument in the slightest anyway. (Besides, Maya's just going to keep getting older..)

But this is way off-topic, the original topic being Does the canon imply that Phoenix is likely to get into a relationship with Iris post 3-5? As for 'mind-numbing', DarkRidley's reply to my post was so long, it was only polite to respond in kind.

icer wrote:
Johnny Rotan wrote:
In the quote in the above mind numbing post i found a contradiction in this portion (highlited)....

So what? The point still stands that he found her physically 'unattractive', the exact 'reasoning' he had for it was irrelevant. (I mean, Maya wasn't actually under-age). And I can't see that it voids my argument in the slightest anyway. (Besides, Maya's just going to keep getting older..)

But this is way off-topic, the original topic being Does the canon imply that Phoenix is likely to get into a relationship with Iris post 3-5? As for 'mind-numbing', DarkRidley's reply to my post was so long, it was only polite to respond in kind.

But he had no way of knowing how old she was (and of course Maya's look doesn't change at all during the game but that's another story) and since she still looked under 18 (16 in Japan) he was obviously the type who doesn't take a chance on saying something wrong to someone underage (that was all i was pointing out).

I think this thread is starting to be nothing more but an arguement waiting to explode in a not so nice fashion.

Johnny Rotan wrote:
I think this thread is starting to be nothing more but an arguement waiting to explode in a not so nice fashion.

Well, at risk of further fanning the embers, yes it is it you continue arguing over a point I already said was irrelevant both to the thread title topic and to the point I was implying...

so let's just forget it okay? It's nothing to do with Phoenix/Iris and has no bearing on whether or not Phoenix could potentially/did show physical attraction to Maya in that scene. Next Topic.

Faith is for the transient people.

I'm going to say this right now, as I respect your opinions and wish to voice mine.

I believe Phoenix/Iris is my most plausible pairing, however I do not consider it the most canon, I go with the fact that Capcom intended for Phoenix NOT to be with anyone.

I'd rather not jump into the argument about which is most canon. SO!

I say no, Phoenix is alone after 3-5, as is shown in AJ, and there's your most plausible canon, because it already happened.

But I shall continue to ship Phoenix/Iris, with Phoenix/Maya as my lighter-supported pairing. (The only thing that bugs me about P/M anymore is the age difference. XD)

(Until AJ2 comes out and perhaps Maya or Iris or Pearl or SOMEONE shows up. Come on, Capcom, don't leave us in the dark!)
Proud supporter of Phoenix/Iris, past, present and future
Thank you Elriel! :D

I'm just starting in on 3-5, and while examining the stuff in the training hall came across this stuff (did the best i could to take photos of the screen):

Maya (in her usual fashion XD) prods Nick about Iris.

^
You're actually dedicated enough to take photos of the screen?

But how does this imply Phoenix 'gets into a relationship with Iris' after the situation is cleared up? It's not like Phoenix responds affirmatively. It's factual the issue involving Iris is troubling him, it doesn't mean he's 'in love' now.

And we have 2 games' worth of extreme level of insistence by Pearl (and Dahlia, Dr Grey...) that Phoenix/Maya are an active 'couple', which even I wouldn't accept as any kind of useful 'proof'. (For what it's worth, Oldbag seems to think Phoenix is gay for Edgeworth.)

(As for Maya... oh yes, I can explain this... but I was kind of hoping we could stop this turning into the Phoenix/Iris vs Phoenix/Maya thread.)

icer wrote:
^
You're actually dedicated enough to take photos of the screen?

But how does this imply Phoenix 'gets into a relationship with Iris' after the situation is cleared up? It's not like Phoenix responds affirmatively. It's factual the issue involving Iris is troubling him, it doesn't mean he's 'in love' now.

And we have 2 games' worth of extreme level of insistence by Pearl (and Dahlia, Dr Grey...) that Phoenix/Maya are an active 'couple', which even I wouldn't accept as any kind of useful 'proof'. (For what it's worth, Oldbag seems to think Phoenix is gay for Edgeworth.)

(As for Maya... oh yes, I can explain this... but I was kind of hoping we could stop this turning into the Phoenix/Iris vs Phoenix/Maya thread.)

When did i say i was trying to prove something with it? Just thought it was funny. Sheesh.

Johnny Rotan wrote:
^Great. Guess I was erroneously following on from your previous post ^_^;

Xero Wright wrote:
But I shall continue to ship Phoenix/Iris, with Phoenix/Maya as my lighter-supported pairing. (The only thing that bugs me about P/M anymore is the age difference. XD)

Just a small question for you, what do you think about Gumshoe/Maggey?

Re- reading this topic seems to have restarted a fire in me, so i'm bumping it. :chinami:
(I think this vent topic is needed again anyway.)
icer wrote:
Would he have done it for someone else? I doubt it. It wasn't even Maya in direct danger, only the possibility of it. And there is no evidence to support a theory that he'd do it for anyone else. Saving Maya is what the canon gives us. [He'd probably save Edgeworth or Pearl if they were actively about to fall to death or something, but this is just the possibility Maya might be in danger!]

Give me a break.
Anybody would do it for a close friend or relation. Or even a stranger. Unless the're like peta and have the "if a dog and a child fall into a pool, save the dog first" attitude. Which i don't think Phoenix has. I'm sure Phoenix would've even done it for Godot.

icer wrote:
Johnny Rotan wrote:

Actually that did have relevance to the topic.

icer wrote:

But this is way off-topic, the original topic being Does the canon imply that Phoenix is likely to get into a relationship with Iris post 3-5?

Anyway, there's probably not much point in deconstructing every line in the game yet again, so have fun with Phoenix/Iris, just don't claim it's strongly implied by canon as Phoenix's likely future.

Don't claim P/M is either because it's not. The more i think about it, i still don't see the proof of P/M after 3-5. You'd have seen it if it was. Phoenix is alone in GS4 (the screwed up timeline means nothing) so he isn't with Maya or anybody else.

Sorry but i've had this building up inside for awhile and i needed to release it. And better here than one of the fan threads.

Last edited by Johnny Rotan on Fri May 29, 2009 6:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

Moo.

I doubt it, but some quotes make it possible...

"I still belived in you"
"I'm glad you always had your eyes on me, Feenie.
But I felt bad for you when the little one slapped you so hard you got a nosebleed."

There are more, but I can't remember them exactly.
Moo.

Thanks Vickinator for the Sexy Avi ;D

Woah this pairing sure has alot of hate. :|. Whilst I *am* Pro-PhoenixXMaya, I really do wonder why so many people hate Iris and Phoenix x__x. I reckon it's an adorable pairing and I do appreciate it and the moments it previously had. The way people are hating on it now is like they're denying the fact that Iris and Phoenix *did* have a romance in the past. This fact is pure canon, and it doesn't matter if Phoenix thought Iris was Dahlia or not, he did previously love her, and his behaviour in 3-1 shows that. Whether the girl was called Dahlia or Iris, it was the person he was in love with. The name doesn't really matter :|. Whether or not he still had those feelings for her or not isn't something I know/care of but still, it happened. There shouldn't be so much hate ^^''.

...But that's just my two cents. Nothing on the super legnthy long debates up there.

~Formerly Phantom Dream

I just...I don't know.
I hate this pairing, maybe because it's so popular?
It seems that wherever I go, somebody has Phoenix/Iris in their sig or avvy, and, frankly, it bugs me.
I don't like Iris that much either, so maybe that's part of it.
Everybody *loves* Iris, and thinks she's adorable and sweet, and she just looks like a weird eight-year-old to me, and her "sweetness" makes me sick.
I don't know exactly why I hate this pairing, but...I do.
Sad to say, I've left C-R. I may still occasionally come on, but, y'know...
I just lost interest, but, this is still an awesome site.
I'll live on through my sprites, I hope. And my major contributions to the Max fanclub. ^_^
Bye ;_; ^_^

I find it hilarious that there are people who go to great lengths to point out that Phoenix/Iris is NOT canon, and then find convoluted evidence to support that Phoenix/Maya IS.

Guess what? NEITHER IS CANON. You can find evidence for and against both; all it comes down to is personal shipping preference. I don't understand this het-ship obsession with the relationship being canon -- you ARE allowed to ship non-canon pairings, you know. Phoenix obviously cares a lot about both of them, so you all have plenty to base your ships on, but arguing semantics and over-analyzing the dialogue isn't going to change the fact that NEITHER SHIP IS CANON.

(Disclaimer: I am not a Phoenix/Maya shipper, Phoenix/Iris shipper, or Phoenix/Edgeworth shipper, though I'm sure they all have their merits. Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be in the corner slashing Iris with all the pretty girls :P)

Miss Tetra wrote:

...what.

Phoenix/Edgeworth and Phoenix/Maya are far, far, FAR more popular than Phoenix/Iris. 80% of the art and memes on DA alone are Phoenix/Edgeworth.

Miss Tetra wrote:
I just...I don't know.
It seems that wherever I go, somebody has Phoenix/Iris in their sig or avvy, and, frankly, it bugs me.
Everybody *loves* Iris, and thinks she's adorable and sweet, and she just looks like a weird eight-year-old to me, and her "sweetness" makes me sick.

Miss Prince wrote:
I find it hilarious that there are people who go to great lengths to point out that Phoenix/Iris is NOT canon, and then find convoluted evidence to support that Phoenix/Maya IS.

Guess what? NEITHER IS CANON. You can find evidence for and against both; all it comes down to is personal shipping preference. I don't understand this het-ship obsession with the relationship being canon -- you ARE allowed to ship non-canon pairings, you know. Phoenix obviously cares a lot about both of them, so you all have plenty to base your ships on, but arguing semantics and over-analyzing the dialogue isn't going to change the fact that NEITHER SHIP IS CANON.

(Disclaimer: I am not a Phoenix/Maya shipper, Phoenix/Iris shipper, or Phoenix/Edgeworth shipper, though I'm sure they all have their merits. Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be in the corner slashing Iris with all the pretty girls :P)

Could we be looking at the same person with 2 accounts here?

And sorry. P/I IS canon. Iris was in fact with phoenix before 3-1, in place of Dahlia. And allthough it was to get the bottle back, she did wind up falling in love with him, and he fell for her too.

Miss Prince wrote:
I don't understand this het-ship obsession with the relationship being canon

Why's it a het-ship obsession? I ship Phoenix/Maya because I like the pairing, even better than Phoenix/Edgeworth, nothing to do with het. And various people go to just as many lengths to 'prove' Phoenix/Edgeworth is more plausible than Phoenix/Iris or Phoenix/Maya.

Yes. Dahlia/Iris... it makes canon sense and is sort of touching. :gant:

Rotan: they're not the same person.

Miss Tetra wrote:

I think because some people who don't examine the game more than superficially assume it's the default 'canon' ship or something. And it isn't. I think Phoenix/Edgeworth is the most popular pairing in terms of people who actively ship it though.

~Formerly Phantom Dream

Johnny Rotan wrote:
Miss Tetra wrote:
I just...I don't know.

Miss Prince wrote:

Could we be looking at the same person with 2 accounts here?

I SWEAR ON MY COPY OF HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS THAT I AM JUST MISS TETRA. (This, if you really knew me, is a promise that you know I can't fake.)

I know and understand that it WAS canon, Phoenix WAS dating Iris. Is he now? It doesn't seem likely to me, but all that time he was "missing" during AJ could've been some visiting with friends from the past...
Sad to say, I've left C-R. I may still occasionally come on, but, y'know...
I just lost interest, but, this is still an awesome site.
I'll live on through my sprites, I hope. And my major contributions to the Max fanclub. ^_^
Bye ;_; ^_^

:)

Wow, many meaty posts in this thread.
Makes me wonder really. It's obvious to me that Iris and Phoenix both care about close ones. I like both Iris/Pheonix and Maya/Pheonix though, I don't really pay attention if it's canon or not, I just freely ship.

Now for my response to the topic. :maya:
Who knows really? Maybe it might have been left to the player's imagination. If they did, I don't think it would be a rush, they would need a lot of time to get over it and handle it. If they're not in a relationship anymore, I'm sure that Iris and Feenie would still remain friends or even good friends. ^-^
Page 4 of 5 [ 184 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Hazakurain (GS3)