Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Hazakurain (GS3)

Page 28 of 28[ 1112 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28

Re: Whats your rule?Topic%20Title

Kill the spare, that's my rule.

My childhood right here

DoMaya wrote:
Old enough to pee, old enough for me.

LRA LRA
That's my rule.

Last edited by サンドラ on Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

I've felt worse.

Screw the rules, I have money!
Respect other people's opinions, otherwise you'll only start a flame war.
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

You spout shit, I shoot your kneecap. :that-b-word:

C-A

Let it go and move it move it

Do not be gullible, back up your arguments and try not to give in so easily. A rule I made up a few years ago and have stuck by ever since.
Within Temptation

Pathetic Politician

A RolePlayer must be always able to join a RP. That's one of my rules.

Being diplomatic is always the best. That's one of my rules.

During school lessons you shouldn't raise your hand without thinking about an answer and how to explain it. That's one of my rules. (Though it isn't useful when you want to bring yourself in. Teachers often say I don't raise my hand often enough.)

Don't do something just because the society wants you to do so. That's one of my rules.

Hey, they are simply my favourites.^^

King Derpey III

Derp herp the derpy derp.

That's my rule.

Always save ze game before any important decision is made.

The Real Human Being

If you don't get pissed off when you lose, then you have no right being happy when you win, rage is half the fun.

Master of sharp things!

Trust no one, that way you can't be disappointed when they turn out to be evil.

That's my rule.

Lacks the brain for meaningful posts.

If in doubt, turn away. That's how I do it.

King Derpey III

chief_skye4444 wrote:
Always save ze game before any important decision is made.

I prefer to save the game whenever Suspense plays.

"Is it poisoned?"

Rule 1: If someone has made a spelling error, do not be afraid to point it out.

Rule 2: Honesty is ALWAYS the best policy, even if it means admitting something you have kept doing wrong, or sounding like Temperance Brennan.

Rule 3: If something is not making sense, you either need to ask a question, or point out a contradiction. :phoenix:

Rule 4: It is entirely okay to daydream about Ace Attorney, The World Ends With You, or Trauma Center (insert your game of choice/fandom you're planning on getting into here). Especially if it involves getting mad at that one character whom you love and hate at the same time. :kristoph:

Rule 5: Tackle hug people whenever necessary.

Rule 6: Sometimes, people are tired of the memes.

And finally, rule 7: Math is fun, and it is not boring. Aggravating at times, especially when you aren't calculating a tangent right, but still fun. You just need to make sense of it first before you can find it fun, that's all.

Those would be my rules. :pearl:

Quote:

Of course, this could backfire into that person being all angry at you and saying things like "You know that English is not my first/native language and yet you have to point out my mistakes to make yourself feel better" although you really had no idea how you were supposed to know that. Seriously, that happened to me only a week or two ago. How the fuck was I supposed to know that guy wasn't a native English speaker? And even if, that is no excuse to write posts with such bad grammar.

C-A

Gettin' Old!

CatMuto wrote:
Quote:

Of course, this could backfire into that person being all angry at you and saying things like "You know that English is not my first/native language and yet you have to point out my mistakes to make yourself feel better" although you really had no idea how you were supposed to know that. Seriously, that happened to me only a week or two ago. How the fuck was I supposed to know that guy wasn't a native English speaker? And even if, that is no excuse to write posts with such bad grammar.

C-A

N...No Cat....not having it as a first language is a perfectly good excuse to have bad grammar when writing in that language. They wouldn't necessarily know all the nuances and rules of the language. Unless you wanted to impose some cruel rule where "Don't post in another language unless you know it perfectly" it's a totally viable excuse.

Besides I'd say you really don't achieve anything other than looking like the bad guy when you correct spelling and grammar like that. I correct some of my friends when they use 'internet speak' but it's all in good humour. Wouldn't want to try it with others unless it was really creating a language barrier.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

☆☆☆ Kira ☆☆☆

Pierre wrote:
N...No Cat....not having it as a first language is a perfectly good excuse to have bad grammar when writing in that language. They wouldn't necessarily know all the nuances and rules of the language. Unless you wanted to impose some cruel rule where "Don't post in another language unless you know it perfectly" it's a totally viable excuse.

Besides I'd say you really don't achieve anything other than looking like the bad guy when you correct spelling and grammar like that. I correct some of my friends when they use 'internet speak' but it's all in good humour. Wouldn't want to try it with others unless it was really creating a language barrier.

Stupid Pierre. English is the official universal language on the Internet.
I'm Blak, and I have shit taste.

Gettin' Old!

Blak The Great wrote:
Pierre wrote:

Stupid Pierre. English is the official universal language on the Internet.

Probably the case sure but the "Don't post in another language unless you know it perfectly" rule is still not a thing on the internet.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

1 - Be tough on other people at least three times more than they are tough on you. That is the faster way of earning respect.

2 - Don't intentionally hurt someone unless they hurt you first.

3 - Judge someone by their intellectual capacity, tastes and interests; most of the times, it will tell you who they really are.

4 - Always analyze your own behavior, past actions and be harsh on yourself sometimes. It is an effective way of avoiding mistakes.

Gettin' Old!

dangerousoffender wrote:
1 - Be tough on other people at least three times more than they are tough on you. That is the faster way of earning respect.

2 - Don't intentionally hurt someone unless they hurt you first.

3 - Judge someone by their intellectual capacity, tastes and interests; most of the times, it will tell you who they really are.

4 - Always analyze your own behavior, past actions and be harsh on yourself sometimes. It is an effective way of avoiding mistakes.

Gah these rules make me sad as well XP

Ah well, takes all kinds to make a world.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Quote:
N...No Cat....not having it as a first language is a perfectly good excuse to have bad grammar when writing in that language.

I do not have that as a rule. But I have seen a ton of decent, coherent and good English posts that make sense and all that all have at the bottom, "PS: Sorry for my bad English, I am Portugese/Brazil/French/Other Language" so I cannot say that not speaking English as a first language is a good excuse, what with all those decent posts I have seen.

C-A

☆☆☆ Kira ☆☆☆

CatMuto wrote:
Quote:
N...No Cat....not having it as a first language is a perfectly good excuse to have bad grammar when writing in that language.

I do not have that as a rule. But I have seen a ton of decent, coherent and good English posts that make sense and all that all have at the bottom, "PS: Sorry for my bad English, I am Portugese/Brazil/French/Other Language" so I cannot say that not speaking English as a first language is a good excuse, what with all those decent posts I have seen.

C-A

Just because you've seen Internet posts from users who can use English well doesn't undermine the fact that not everyone can pick up a second language as easily others.
I'm Blak, and I have shit taste.

Dracarys!

CatMuto wrote:
Quote:

C-A

Not everybody speaks English at the same level of fluency. Languages are complicated things. They take a lot of time and effort to learn properly. Just because one guy knows it well doesn't mean another is going to. And putting a disclaimer after your posts shouldn't have to be a requirement for anybody, regardless of how poor their English grammar may be.

I don't care if someone has a poor english as long as they are aware of it. I'm perfectly aware about how my english sucks and I try to analyze and improve it everytime I can.

Problem is: there are a great amount of people who don't even realize about how bad their english is and for that reason they don't try to detect and correct mistakes. Damn, if english is your second language there is a high probability that you'll commit some grammatical mistakes now and then, so be aware of it.

Quote:
Just because one guy knows it well doesn't mean another is going to. And putting a disclaimer after your posts shouldn't have to be a requirement for anybody, regardless of how poor their English grammar may be.

I have seen tons of posts from various people who have better English than English speakers, so I do think I have the "right" to think that somebody should be somewhat capable of writing in a language they do not know perfectly.
And of course a disclaimer shouldn't be a requirement but I am not the one who tells them to put that at the bottom of their post. Speaking of, I have forgotten majority of my french and I still comment on some french videos on YouTube (at least I used to) and I looked up translators and dicitonaries, because I didn't want to make a bad grammatical mistake.

C-A

Gettin' Old!

CatMuto wrote:
Quote:
Just because one guy knows it well doesn't mean another is going to. And putting a disclaimer after your posts shouldn't have to be a requirement for anybody, regardless of how poor their English grammar may be.

I have seen tons of posts from various people who have better English than English speakers, so I do think I have the "right" to think that somebody should be somewhat capable of writing in a language they do not know perfectly.
And of course a disclaimer shouldn't be a requirement but I am not the one who tells them to put that at the bottom of their post. Speaking of, I have forgotten majority of my french and I still comment on some french videos on YouTube (at least I used to) and I looked up translators and dicitonaries, because I didn't want to make a bad grammatical mistake.

C-A

Funny cause I've seen tonnes of posts from people who don't have a good grasp of English but try anyway. You can't just justify insulting someone's English just because other people are great at it. There's nothing gained by correcting English unless it's really so bad it's creating communication issues, you only risk hurting feelings.

Though lets drop this subject. It's clear Cat doesn't care enough of what people think of her to change her opinion. :ron:
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Quote:
There's nothing gained by correcting English unless it's really so bad it's creating communication issues, you only risk hurting feelings.

I dunno, does someone having pitiful on me count as bad enough to cause communication issues? And also, I have seen people write such bad English posts that I had to re-read it twice or three times until I got it, at which point I realized the person typing was Japanese, due to writing stuff like zeruda twairaito purinsesu.

And as I pointed out, if you're gonna write in a foreign language, at least try hard to make the thing make sense grammatically. Don't write crap and then be all, "Waaah you hurt my feelings" cause I pointed out how bad your grammar was that can't even be excused by foreign language. Or even "internet speak".

C-A

Gettin' Old!

CatMuto wrote:
Quote:
There's nothing gained by correcting English unless it's really so bad it's creating communication issues, you only risk hurting feelings.

I dunno, does someone having pitiful on me count as bad enough to cause communication issues? And also, I have seen people write such bad English posts that I had to re-read it twice or three times until I got it, at which point I realized the person typing was Japanese, due to writing stuff like zeruda twairaito purinsesu.

And as I pointed out, if you're gonna write in a foreign language, at least try hard to make the thing make sense grammatically. Don't write crap and then be all, "Waaah you hurt my feelings" cause I pointed out how bad your grammar was that can't even be excused by foreign language. Or even "internet speak".

C-A

That's the thing, there's no proof that they AREN'T trying hard to write in English properly but they don't have the knowledge how. "having pitiful" on someone is easily understandable but even if it's not it's not too bad to correct them unless you are being mocking or petty in it. It's the part where you say "I don't care if it's not your first language" that's where you step off the scale of acceptability.

Saying their language is so bad that even not knowing the language isn't a good enough excuse, is pretty insulting. You complaining about it here....it's like you are asking them to accept blatant insults to their lack of linguistic skills lying down. You aren't making the forum a welcoming place for them in that situation. You are creating your own conflicts by being so abrasive to them.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Quote:
That's the thing, there's no proof that they AREN'T trying hard to write in English properly but they don't have the knowledge how. "having pitiful" on someone is easily understandable but even if it's not it's not too bad to correct them unless you are being mocking or petty in it. It's the part where you say "I don't care if it's not your first language" that's where you step off the scale of acceptability.

Okay, I should elaborate.
The guy I corrected and then snapped at me was an ass to begin with. When he made the "having pitiful" mistake, I pointed out that it is to have pity (noun) on someone and being pititful (adjective) is what he used. That is when he said "Oh so now you're just pointing out mistakes in my grammar, although you know that English is not my first language, just to make yourself feel better"
That was not the reason I corrected him.
And at that point, I said "I didn't know English isn't your first language. And how the fuck should I have known that?" His previous posts had bad grammar in it, but none that was as bad as having pitiful. And I really had no idea how I was supposed to know that.

C-A

Gettin' Old!

CatMuto wrote:
Quote:

Okay, I should elaborate.
The guy I corrected and then snapped at me was an ass to begin with. When he made the "having pitiful" mistake, I pointed out that it is to have pity (noun) on someone and being pititful (adjective) is what he used. That is when he said "Oh so now you're just pointing out mistakes in my grammar, although you know that English is not my first language, just to make yourself feel better"
That was not the reason I corrected him.
And at that point, I said "I didn't know English isn't your first language. And how the fuck should I have known that?" His previous posts had bad grammar in it, but none that was as bad as having pitiful. And I really had no idea how I was supposed to know that.

C-A

The specific incident itself isn't really the point here and I'm not gonna argue about that.

The point is in any given situation saying "I don't care if it's not your first language do better in grammar!" is never going to come across as inoffensive or acceptable behaviour.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

"Is it poisoned?"

Gah! I didn't realize that correcting spelling was going to start a debate...And what I meant was that if, say, a teacher spells something wrong on the white board, or you're beta reading some fan fiction, you should correct their spelling. As far as the internet goes, I realize that people don't really think about the laws of the English language when they're posting on a forum. However, just because someone is either purposely or accidentally illiterate on a forum, doesn't necessarily mean they're used to another language, it could be that they're a troll or something. I think the best things to do when seeing illiteracy on a forum are a) politely correct them and b) be literate yourself. I mean, all you can control is you, right?

And I'm sorry if I come across as rude, I really am not trying to come off that way!

PS: Sometimes, with languages, it seems like it would be in the wrong order for us English speakers, but it makes sense for the people who speak the other language. Example: Ich habe Hunger. Literal translation: I have hunger. What it actually is saying: I'm hungry. Language is weird like that.
Page 28 of 28 [ 1112 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Hazakurain (GS3)