Board index » General » Trial Minutes

Page 1 of 1[ 8 posts ]

Last Window: Japanese ReviewsTopic%20Title

http://tinyurl.com/lastwindow

I was browsing amazon.co.jp and out of curiosity checked out Last Window's product page. Looks like the game is getting good reviews from users. Since there are so few reviews and impressions out there in English, I decided, why not translate some of these Japanese reviews? I just did the first 3 top-rated reviews on the page. Also, my Japanese is far from perfect, and I put question marks by a few things I was unsure of. Enjoy!

----

4 stars The amount of bonuses has increased
Spoiler:
I bought this because I liked the previous game.

First off, one of things I thought while playing this is that it's a much more forgiving game than the first. For example:
-You can get play-tips in the game
-Even if you stop playing for a while and forget the story, you can go back over it with the in-game book.
-Even if you get stuck on a puzzle and can't move forward, you can recieve hints by opening your notebook(?).
and so forth. But even though the game is more forgiving, to me it feels like the difficulty has dropped as well.

Also, during conversations you can decide whether to ignore or to press someone. After clearing the game once, I think you could have a pretty good time just trying things out to anger people and get a game over. haha

The music maintains the same atmosphere as the last game, all the tracks have become a little lighter(?). Sometimes you will hear some old tunes from the previous game as well.

And this time, the amount of bonuses has increased. If you go certain places, you will be able to play little mini-games. There is also a small bonus attached to the instruction manual. This bonus can come in really handy in certain parts of the game. Also, you get something nice after clearing the game once.

The atmosphere is very similar to the last game. I removed one star because it felt less difficult than the previous game.
If you liked the first one, I think you'll enjoy this as well. I keep saying 'previous game' 'previous game', but of course the game can be enjoyable for people who haven't played the last game as well. (If you have played it, you can enjoy this one even more)

If you had fun with this, I also recommend playing Wish Room(aka Hotel Dusk).

----

4 stars I beat it in 2 months

Spoiler:
I bought this game because I remembered having fun with the first one, but it had been a while so I had forgotten most of the story. However, I had no problem getting into this one, so first time players don't need to worry. You can get more immersed into the story if you have played the last one though--the first one is being sold cheap used, so it might be a good idea to buy a copy and play that first.

<The good>
-The hand-drawn art style is still wonderful. There is a very interesting video on the wii channel that shows how they create the art, take a look.
-The style of the music is outstanding. A kind of jazzy, moody feeling...same as the first game, after clearing it once you can go back and listen to the soundtrack.

-The main character is still cool. He's so cool that it makes me angry, the way he is so straightforward and unconcerned with trends and things is great, even his weaknesses is cool...but Rachel is my wife.

There's a lot more I could say, but I'll stop here.

<The Bad>
-the pacing is slow
-forced and irrational puzzle solutions
-Game overs are sudden but they feel light, inconsequential, they don't make you feel any panic or intensity.

But the story is interesting, and I don't think very many people will want to stop part way through.

----

5 stars Having completed it...
Spoiler:
I have been eagerly awaiting this game ever since the first one, so I immediately preordered it when it was announced. The unreasonable plot turns that were in the first are fewer here, and even if you get a game over you can reload from just before that point, so it's easy to relax and enjoy the story.

The puzzles aren't that difficult, so anyone looking for a game with deep puzzle solving might be a little unsatisfied. The puzzles are not the main focus. It's a game where you are meant to enjoy the bourbon (story). In that sense, I felt nostalgic seeing all the old hairstyles, fashion trends and other miscellaneous things. It reminded me of some scenes from the old movie [ame ga furu (it rains)](?). I love hardboiled stories, and I was reminded of myself as a young girl, enjoying reading Chandler and Hammet. I was able to enjoy this game in such a way.

Although the story has many dark and serious moments, in Last Window's character introductions you get to see each person's best smiles. There is a hint of hope at the end of episodes, and it's a game that leaves a pleasant and lingering aftertaste.

I was surprised to find that behind Hyde's always sour-face, I caught a glimpse of a quite innocent, dimpled smile, like that of an innocent child, and I felt my heart jump a bit.

As a continuation of the last story this game seems to wrap everything up, if another part in the series comes...that is to say, it might be unlikely, but as a fan I do hope that a new game can be made with these same characters. The faintly romantic conversations with Rachel that linger in the air, the gruff back-and-forths with Ed, the guardian/protector role Hyde takes with Mila, the nostalgic mood, I hope all these things continue, unchanged.

----

and I have to say, that last review really nailed it for me. Being a huge fan of Chandler, I can understand her love for the hard-boiled style of the series, and the wonderful mood the characters and world create...dammit, I want this game! NoA, get your asses in gear!

Admin's note:

First of, Dusk Style Franny courtesy of Karmi-Sempai.
And second off, can you believe it's been almost a month since our last Ace Attorney related story? Come on Capcom! Show us what's in store for Apollo!

Last edited by ashogo on Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Last Window: Japanese ReviewsTopic%20Title

Deputy of Self-Esteem

Thanks for posting those reviews. By default I love my games hard so I'm a bit miffed that they report the difficulty got tuned down. But, sounds like the folks who played Hotel Dusk really liked Last Window. So I doubt I'll be disappointed. If / when we get it.

Think this is front page material?
Bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump

Hate is Bad :(

I must have this game D:

They don't :c

Location: http://www.ezilon.com/maps/images/southamerica/political-map-of-Argentina.gif

Jesus Christ I need this game. Badly.

Seriously, Cing, like. Just unbankrupt. Like, duh.

@Woost: Yeah, this should go front page.

Wooster wrote:
Thanks for posting those reviews. By default I love my games hard so I'm a bit miffed that they report the difficulty got tuned down.

Yeah, I was dissapointed by the lowered difficulty too. Then again that's not the main reason I play these games so I quickly forgave it. Still a bit of a missed opportunity though.

But yeah, if the main complaints are the difficulty and the slow pacing, then I have no worries. The last review in particular was really promising. I am excited.

Guh, I need this pretty damn badly, especially after being shafted out of Trace Memory 2. Come onnnn, CiNG, we love you! I will import this from Europe if I have to (since the DS is region free and I can actually do this) ;_;

*plays Again: Eye of Providence while patiently waiting*
Phoenix/Maya Day: Sept. 5th. ♥
Phoenix/Iris Day: September 12th. ♥

Call me Ishmael.

Gah, I want it! ;_;
Wife: sparkleranger78, daughter: feedmechocolate247

世界中

Marche Tobaye wrote:
Gah, I want it! ;_;

THIS

but honestly NoA ofr someone better get this localized or there'll be a shightload of pissed off fans.
Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Board index » General » Trial Minutes