Board index » General » Trial Minutes

Page 1 of 1[ 16 posts ]

Ace Attorney Movie's Opening WeekendTopic%20Title

Deputy of Self-Esteem

You know, I honestly can't remember the last time I've had to write this many updates in a relatively short amount of time. Things are just really happening around here lately! And I've still got more on Ghost Trick and the GS123 HD that's on the backlog.

But anyways, this past weekend, the much anticipated Ace Attorney movie has gone live, with a little promotional help from the Android and iOS apps. The results? It was the 5th highest in Japan. (The Japanese fans are reported to have responded to the news something like "5th... that's it? That's kinda awesome, right?") Seems they're happy it did well, but upset it didn't take 1st. Maybe if video games in general made good movies there might've been a greater attendance... I'm looking at YOU Super Mario Bros.

So how did the movie actually preform? Details thank to JapaneseGirl, who's mug currently resides on the forum banner in honor of all the info she's provided us in the past.

JapaneseGirl wrote:
http://eiga.com/ranking/
Feb. 11-12
No.1 ドラゴン・タトゥーの女 (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo)
No.2 ALWAYS 三丁目の夕日’64
No.3 麒麟の翼 劇場版・新参者
No.4 はやぶさ 遥かなる帰還
No.5 逆転裁判 (Gyakuten Saiban)
No.6 日本列島 いきものたちの物語
No.7 海賊戦隊ゴーカイジャーVS宇宙刑事ギャバン THE MOVIE
No.8 ロボジー
No.9 ペントハウス(Tower Heist)
No.10 ミッション:インポッシブル ゴースト・プロトコル(Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol)

Gyakuten Saiban
spectator numbers 85,382
box-office sales 117,956,400yen

Kotaku adds
Quote:
I had the pleasure of seeing this film with a non-gamer who had never even heard of the Ace Attorney games. He came out of the theater raving about the swerving plot twists, great characters, and amazing direction. He then proceeded to download Gyakuten Saiban 123 HD—the new iOS HD versions of the first three games—onto his iPhone. I don't know if there's any bigger praise than that.

So, like Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva before it, the new Ace Attorney movie is something that breaks the horrid tradition of video game movies being garbage and hoping they'll sell on brand alone, and is something that can be enjoyed regardless of if you're a fan or a newcomer.

So, if both series can have awesome games... break the tradition with making awesome movies. Does this mean that the collaboration will be the most AWESOME thing ever to hit the earth? We might need to stage a protest. I don't know if the earth could withstand such an impact.

SAVE THE EARTH! DON'T RELEASE PROFESSOR LAYTON vs ACE ATTORNEY

*is flogged with tomatoes*
Bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump
Re: Ace Attorney Movie's Opening WeekendTopic%20Title

World's First Attorney

*rests tomato-flinging arm*

OMFG I can't wait for this movie. I loved the Professor Layton movie (and to say that I was pleasantly surprised at a video game movie being, not just good but FREAKIN AMAZING, is an understatement) I can't wait to watch this!! I want to see this so badly!!!!!!!!!!!! The only thing I could want MOAR is Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright <3 <3 <3 But you're right...that level of awesomeness will bring about the apocalypse :odoroki: ...without a doubt...still *goes back to flinging tomatoes*
"Generally speaking, things have gone about as far as they can possibly go, when things have gotten about as bad as they can reasonably get."- Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
^^^Relevant to life in general but especially for AA, no?

Wooster wrote:
So, if both series can have awesome games... break the tradition with making awesome movies. Does this mean that the collaboration will be the most AWESOME thing ever to hit the earth? We might need to stage a protest. I don't know if the earth could withstand such an impact.

SAVE THE EARTH! DON'T RELEASE PROFESSOR LAYTON vs ACE ATTORNEY

*is flogged with tomatoes*

BRING IT ON APOCALYPSE!!! *joins QueenoftheCourt with tomatoes*

But seriously, I'm happy to see video games to break that awful tradition, and I'm even more happy to hear that it's Ace Attorney to break that tradition! :keiko:
~Credit to Jiaya on DeviantArt for the avatar!~
Charley vs. Zombies? Heck Yes!

Unobjectionable

I might have posted this in another topic, but the movie got a very good review over at Japanator as well.

Man, all this hype just makes me want to see it more!

Too bad. Waluigi Time.

*walks in with a bucket full of tomatoes for throwing* The Layton movie is amazing, and hopefully, the Ace Attorney movie will be too. We need Layton vs. Ace Attorney, but that would probably bring about the Apocalypse. *fills tennis ball launcher with tomatoes* So, as I was saying, it would bring an even bigger apocalypse if Descole were in it. Then my head would explode from the awesomeness.

OBJECTION!

It's a risk that we must take. I can't wait!!!

Ace Nobody

Awesome!

If Layton vs. AA brings the apocalypse, I'll at least die happy. *joins tomato-throwing party*

Mr. Eccentric

I'm gonna poke my friends to go to the theater with me when this comes around :odoroki:

Also, Layton vs. AA all the way! *takes out tomato shotgun*
Remember, don't feed her too many snackoos...

What am I Prosecuting fooooooor!?

So, basically, the movie made about 1.5 million dollars (probably a little more by now.) and came in 5th. I guess that's not too bad, (5th is bottom of the best) considering Japan isn't a very large country and doesn't have nearly as much movie theaters as the states does. I do wonder how much it cost to make the film. If it can stay in the top 5 and get it's money back, we could get a sequel. Considering international release and DVD sales will help with that too. :redd:

The Chords of Steel

Man! I want to watch this movie RIGHT NOW!!! (Good luck with that, Charlie)
And yeah, let's hope the movie continues to do well, so they adapt Justice for All too! (I really want to see Matt Engarde's breakdown in live action!) :enguard!:

prosecuting never looked so good ;)

The world is not allowed to end till this has been made, and then the film itself will end the world unless we can solve a puzzle filled with contradictions!

As for the movie reaching 5th place, i'd say well done. Miike definitely put alot of effort into making it and as evident both fans and newcomers all gave it great praise, and the reason it probably didnt get to the number 1 spot is that it was contending with a far greater known and anticipated set of films.

But aside from that i cannot wait for the international release in the UK.
When life gives you lemons, leave them and get a lollipop instead.

CHOO CHOO! ALL ABOARD THE HYPE EXPRESS!

zydrate comes in a little glass vial~

yay :phoenix:
... Well it probs won't be released where I live (it's a hole.) so i'll have to rely on streams :yuusaku:
I usually hate streams but I don't really have much of a choice if i want to see it :larry:

Go Layton VS PW :mina:
(chucks tomatoes at Wooster :edgeworth: )

世界中

Despite the fact it didn't reach No.1, I'm still pleased. At least the actual movie is good, and No. 5 isn't that bad of a position.

Dice-Off (Coming Summer 2013...)

The Japanese iTunes store has updated to say that the soundtrack for the movie will be released on the 29th of this month (Feb), and what's more, there are samples of all the tracks now, so have fun listening :shoe:

Deputy of Self-Esteem

Thanks for the tip. Listening to the previews and I can easily say that the sound quality trumps all the concerts.

I rather like the new Cross Examination 2001 remix. The strings give a very different, yet appropriate feel.
Bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump

World's First Attorney

irishmarcoos wrote:
The Japanese iTunes store has updated to say that the soundtrack for the movie will be released on the 29th of this month (Feb), and what's more, there are samples of all the tracks now, so have fun listening :shoe:

YAY!!!!!!! *puts down tomato rocket launcher* brb going to bliss out to gorgeous movie score now!!!!
"Generally speaking, things have gone about as far as they can possibly go, when things have gotten about as bad as they can reasonably get."- Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
^^^Relevant to life in general but especially for AA, no?
Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Board index » General » Trial Minutes