Board index » General » Trial Minutes

Page 4 of 6[ 208 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Re: AA:DD English Gameplay Videos and InformationTopic%20Title

I play videogames.

Inspector Cabanela wrote:
how does the CERO (B-C) rating work?

CERO is Japan's videogame rating system. B and C are two levels of said system, with B being 12+ and C being 15+. Up to this point, the Gyakuten series has had all but GS4 fall under the B rating, but this time GS5 got a C. Incredibly, GS4 got an A rating (all ages)...
Image Image Image

SeanHK wrote:

CERO is Japan's videogame rating system. B and C are two levels of said system, with B being 12+ and C being 15+. Up to this point, the Gyakuten series has had all but GS4 fall under the B rating, but this time GS5 got a C. Incredibly, GS4 got an A rating (all ages)...

12+ and 15+ are the ages?

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

SeanHK wrote:

Actually justice for all also got an A rating. Which is strange because i feel like Justice for All and Apollo Justice are the two that are MORE inappropriate than the others.

But yeah this is the first time GS has gotten a C. Really C isn't that different from M, though (only 1 year difference)
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

ADA McCoy wrote:
SeanHK wrote:

Actually justice for all also got an A rating. Which is strange because i feel like Justice for All and Apollo Justice are the two that are MORE inappropriate than the others.

But yeah this is the first time GS has gotten a C. Really C isn't that different from M, though (only 1 year difference)

as long as it oesnt affect AA:DD negatively then we shouldn't worry

Wired wrote an article about this
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/07/a ... destinies/

It sounds like part of it could be simply that they are getting more strict and part of it could be that there's a desire for M games on the 3DS.

Also, I want to say that I was under the impression that M had changed from being 17+ to 16+. I'm not quite sure why I thought that, I just thought for sure that they had changed that. But anyway, I am now aware of that, so yes, there should be something in between 13 and 17.
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

I play videogames.

ADA McCoy wrote:

Oh right, my bad. I always forget about GS2 for some reason... And yeah, it's weird that GS2 is rated for all ages. I mean, if I saw Case 2 when I was 9 years old, I'd be traumatized.
Image Image Image

SeanHK wrote:
ADA McCoy wrote:

Oh right, my bad. I always forget about GS2 for some reason... And yeah, it's weird that GS2 is rated for all ages. I mean, if I saw Case 2 when I was 9 years old, I'd be traumatized.

Not to mention the innuendo was a lot more frequent.

On another note, I wonder if we'll get anymore info tomorrow about the game or if this is it.

It said a group of Capcom producers will be at Comic-Con, so maybe Eshiro will be there to answer questions? They haven't planned any new info reveals ever, but at e3 when questioned he revealed stuff like the possibility of a Physical release and Fulbright's name so maybe he'll give us some new info.

OR MAYBE WE'LL GET A RELEASE DATE!
Probably not, but oh well.

wilddrawfour.tumblr.com

Whether the M rating is a problem or not, I really can't say much.
I started playing when I was 10.

HERE COME DAT SPIRIT MEDIUM!

I wish I WERE the best.

Maybe they'll reveal more information about Case 2 and the release date. Oh, and releasing another trailer, of course, translated from Japanese.

AnsweringNOW wrote:
Maybe they'll reveal more information about Case 2 and the release date. Oh, and releasing another trailer, of course, translated from Japanese.

Today afternoon they're supposed to update us with the latest news on the title, so I really hope the exact release date, the price, and the second full trailer (the one with the voice acting) will be featured there. Additionally I wish they would update the English verison of the official web site...

Oh wow, I am soo pumped for the game. I can't wait much longer, so please announce a September or early October release date.

AnsweringNOW wrote:

Comic-Con might have been the place to do this (rather than e3) because of the tone of the show and the fact that they have a more traditional panel rather than the weird live streams like they did at e3.

Btw. one guy from NeoGAF asked Capcom about the USK rating (Germany) of AA5. He got the news it's going to be USK 12, but it's not officially rated yet. However the USK only rate games they have played. So it means they got at least some kind of alpha/beta build to play through the complete game. So yeah, the localization should already be finished, but it still doesn't automatically mean they will release it next month or something like this.

Lusankya wrote:
Btw. one guy from NeoGAF asked Capcom about the USK rating (Germany) of AA5. He got the news it's going to be USK 12, but it's not officially rated yet. However the USK only rate games they have played. So it means they got at least some kind of alpha/beta build to play through the complete game. So yeah, the localization should already be finished, but it still doesn't automatically mean they will release it next month or something like this.

I still find it weird they actually gave DD a M rating :grey:

Levi x Tide detergent OTP

ADA McCoy wrote:
TopHatProfessor2014 wrote:
Are you kidding? Of course it's a big deal! If we had a 15+ rating, more people could buy games that would normally be rated M for Mature. Why do other countries get to have this, but we don't!?

Well Teen is 13 and Up, and Mature is 16 and Up. That's only a difference of 3 years. I don't really know how there would be something in the middle. But I think the system does need an overhaul.

Maybe MGS3 and MGS4, but MGS1 and MGS2 could have been rated T. Peace Walker on PSP has about the same level of violence as those games, and it was rated T. The language in Metal Gear is extremely tame, especially for a game series that usually has an M rating. In the entire main series, the f-word was used ONE time in MGS4, but that game deserved an M rating to begin with. There's practically no explicit sexuality, only some suggestive themes. Later on in the series, the violence does get more intense; but the original MGS and MGS2 aren't that graphic in their violence.

I would still say the violence level and blood would deem it an m rating, maybe not now a days though since everything has gotten more lax. It's still more graphic than, say, Ocarina of Time was. The scenes with Gray Fox especially. I see what you're saying, and I think if it was released now the first MGS might get a Teen rating, but at the time it was a valid rating.

Actually, Ocarina of Time had red blood in its original version. But that's besides the point. So basically, as the technology gets better; the rating has to get higher? Even if Twilight Princess does deserve a T rating, what about Brawl? There are probably young kids who couldn't play that game just because of its rating. That game is perfectly fine for gamers of ALL ages.

Yes, and they changed it to green because they didn't want to get a re-rating. So that isn't really coming into play because Twilight Princess is the first Zelda where Nintendo put in blood and stuck with it. I would actually argue that Brawl ISN'T appropriate for all ages. Yes, personally I'd let my kids play it fairly early on, but some parents might not want their young kids playing a game where you can hit women and small animals with swords and guns. Like I said, ESRB tends to air on the side of caution and I think that was a cautious rating. I think it could have been E10+ personally, but I don't think E is acceptable.

Is anyone paying attention to ANYTHING I write!? I'm not saying that the game SHOULDN'T be rated M. I completely agree with its rating. I'm talking about the MISLEADING DESCRIPTIONS that come with the ratings. ONE sex scene that's literally there for five seconds does not equal strong sexual content.

I understand what you are saying. I agree about the descriptions; they are too vague. But I also think that no matter how long the sex scene is, if there is a scene that in any way shows a couple having sex then that is "Strong Sexual Content", whether it is "One scene which contains strong sexual content" or "many scenes with strong sexual content".

Yes, I agree that a rating system should exist. 2nd graders most certainly should not play those games, but a rating can only do so much. The parents have to be smart and understand what's suitable for their kids and what isn't. Luckily, everyone here has grown up in the most important age of video games. If any of us have kids, we'll all be smarter because we grew up with games and truly understand them. Again, I have to reiterate this point. It doesn't matter if you're 15 or even 16. There are very strict parents out there who refuse to allow their kids to play M rated games. We need a rating in-between to create a compromise. How would that cost more money? It's not changing the entire system, it's adding ONE rating. Is that so much to ask?

Adding one rating wouldn't cost money; what I was saying was it would cost money to set up what they REALLY need to do: have a system that isn't in any way influenced by business or money that actually plays the games its rating to completion rather than just sample a video about it. If I remember correctly, M used to be 17 and up, but they changed it to 16. Like I said, there's not a big difference between 13 and 16. It's only one year off from the CERO and PEGI ratings.

It may not be a problem for you, but it certainly is for me and thousands of other teens. I STILL can't play Mature rated games without being yelled at by my parents. I have to sneak them into the house, and hide them so I don't get caught. I'm 15 years old; but I consider myself to be VERY mature. I can handle pretty much anything, but my parents certainly don't see it that way no matter how I explain it. The game's rated M? Sorry, you can't play it. It's not just me, it happens to a LOT of underage people. It doesn't matter if DD and GTA have the same rating. That doesn't mean shit to the adults that run our lives. They think they know what they're doing, but they simply don't understand and never will.

I am very sorry to hear about your situation, and I understand why you are upset. The problem is that for every parent who is very protective of their child there are 5 who don't even bother to look at the ratings. And I also know many parents who look at T as an equal to E and only worry about M, which means their kids are playing things they shouldn't really be playing at very young ages. Now, I don't think videogames are responsible for turning people into serial killers or anything, but I do think that if a young child (4 or 5) played tons and tons of hours of a game like MGS or Halo it could warp their sensitivity and/or emotions about violence, possibly creating problems later. So the ratings, specifically M, is very important and I'm not sure if adding another rating would change a lot of the issues for everyone.

About your situation, I understand why you are upset, but not all adults are like that. It usually has to do with how much they know about gaming. My parents didn't let me have any games when I was growing up until they let me buy a gamecube at age 11. I was always so into my games I'd show them stuff and play the soundtracks in the car and talk about the lore and etc. And as I got older I naturally got into more mature games and by that time they knew what was going on. I'm not trying to say my parents were amazing or anything, what I'm trying to say is that I was always actively getting them involved in the gaming process. It's none of my business, but if you want my advice on how to handle the Dual Destinies issue (although in theory you could just buy an eShop card and download it) I would wait until one of them was just hanging out and then talk about the game, how it's this great legal drama game that you're a big fan of and the new one is coming out. It's M, but it has great messages and is a wonderfully written crime drama. And then show them the trailer and the gameplay videos where you can see the blood, etc. and let them see what it really is that's making up the M rating. What kind of TV Shows do you watch? You could probably find a show that they know you watch that has the same amount of violence in it and say that its only as violent as that show.

Anyway, I understand this is an issue for some families but I also know that the ratings system is important in stopping less-responsible parents from screwing their kids up. And in the end whether or not I agree with it it is a parental decision and has to be worked out with them rather than blame the ESRB or Capcom. For all we know this is the best GS yet and it just happens to be darker and more violent. That might help the game a lot, and it is in the best interests for the game to not cut the game to get a better rating, the same way you shouldn't neccesarily cut an R rated move to make it PG-13 unless the violence is gratuitous.

I found it dumb they gave phoenix a young voice :yuusaku:

I think people forget Ben Judd's original effect or haven't actually heard it with good speakers.

It sounded like Jimmy Fallon inhaled helium.

I know Ben Judd isn't perfect (before the new trailer I was totally against him) but I actually think he sounds better than the original.
It's the Apollo and Edgeworth voices I'm worried about, since they were pretty great originally.

Nick's original voice was more high pitched when first recorded in 2001. Now he sounds older and more experienced in his years. I think the reason why Capcom chose Sam Riegel to voice voice him now, besides once being Phoenix in UMvC3, is probably because he kinda has the voice we could imagine 24 year old Nick having. Odoroki's voice actor sounds pretty close to the 2007 recordings, so if the guys at Comic Con today play the demo as Apollo, it's pretty much 50/50 if his English voice actor sounds decent or crap. As for Edgeworth, his Japanese voice sounds like the original but older, which is good. Though I don't think Capcom will reveal his voice actor until later since it seems that Edgeworth won't show until around case 4. :edgeworth:
"Girl, shut up and drink my spiked coffee." - Godot AckermanImage

fourtrass wrote:
ADA McCoy wrote:
Are you kidding? Of course it's a big deal! If we had a 15+ rating, more people could buy games that would normally be rated M for Mature. Why do other countries get to have this, but we don't!?

Well Teen is 13 and Up, and Mature is 16 and Up. That's only a difference of 3 years. I don't really know how there would be something in the middle. But I think the system does need an overhaul.

Maybe MGS3 and MGS4, but MGS1 and MGS2 could have been rated T. Peace Walker on PSP has about the same level of violence as those games, and it was rated T. The language in Metal Gear is extremely tame, especially for a game series that usually has an M rating. In the entire main series, the f-word was used ONE time in MGS4, but that game deserved an M rating to begin with. There's practically no explicit sexuality, only some suggestive themes. Later on in the series, the violence does get more intense; but the original MGS and MGS2 aren't that graphic in their violence.

I would still say the violence level and blood would deem it an m rating, maybe not now a days though since everything has gotten more lax. It's still more graphic than, say, Ocarina of Time was. The scenes with Gray Fox especially. I see what you're saying, and I think if it was released now the first MGS might get a Teen rating, but at the time it was a valid rating.

Actually, Ocarina of Time had red blood in its original version. But that's besides the point. So basically, as the technology gets better; the rating has to get higher? Even if Twilight Princess does deserve a T rating, what about Brawl? There are probably young kids who couldn't play that game just because of its rating. That game is perfectly fine for gamers of ALL ages.

Yes, and they changed it to green because they didn't want to get a re-rating. So that isn't really coming into play because Twilight Princess is the first Zelda where Nintendo put in blood and stuck with it. I would actually argue that Brawl ISN'T appropriate for all ages. Yes, personally I'd let my kids play it fairly early on, but some parents might not want their young kids playing a game where you can hit women and small animals with swords and guns. Like I said, ESRB tends to air on the side of caution and I think that was a cautious rating. I think it could have been E10+ personally, but I don't think E is acceptable.

Is anyone paying attention to ANYTHING I write!? I'm not saying that the game SHOULDN'T be rated M. I completely agree with its rating. I'm talking about the MISLEADING DESCRIPTIONS that come with the ratings. ONE sex scene that's literally there for five seconds does not equal strong sexual content.

I understand what you are saying. I agree about the descriptions; they are too vague. But I also think that no matter how long the sex scene is, if there is a scene that in any way shows a couple having sex then that is "Strong Sexual Content", whether it is "One scene which contains strong sexual content" or "many scenes with strong sexual content".

Yes, I agree that a rating system should exist. 2nd graders most certainly should not play those games, but a rating can only do so much. The parents have to be smart and understand what's suitable for their kids and what isn't. Luckily, everyone here has grown up in the most important age of video games. If any of us have kids, we'll all be smarter because we grew up with games and truly understand them. Again, I have to reiterate this point. It doesn't matter if you're 15 or even 16. There are very strict parents out there who refuse to allow their kids to play M rated games. We need a rating in-between to create a compromise. How would that cost more money? It's not changing the entire system, it's adding ONE rating. Is that so much to ask?

Adding one rating wouldn't cost money; what I was saying was it would cost money to set up what they REALLY need to do: have a system that isn't in any way influenced by business or money that actually plays the games its rating to completion rather than just sample a video about it. If I remember correctly, M used to be 17 and up, but they changed it to 16. Like I said, there's not a big difference between 13 and 16. It's only one year off from the CERO and PEGI ratings.

It may not be a problem for you, but it certainly is for me and thousands of other teens. I STILL can't play Mature rated games without being yelled at by my parents. I have to sneak them into the house, and hide them so I don't get caught. I'm 15 years old; but I consider myself to be VERY mature. I can handle pretty much anything, but my parents certainly don't see it that way no matter how I explain it. The game's rated M? Sorry, you can't play it. It's not just me, it happens to a LOT of underage people. It doesn't matter if DD and GTA have the same rating. That doesn't mean shit to the adults that run our lives. They think they know what they're doing, but they simply don't understand and never will.

I am very sorry to hear about your situation, and I understand why you are upset. The problem is that for every parent who is very protective of their child there are 5 who don't even bother to look at the ratings. And I also know many parents who look at T as an equal to E and only worry about M, which means their kids are playing things they shouldn't really be playing at very young ages. Now, I don't think videogames are responsible for turning people into serial killers or anything, but I do think that if a young child (4 or 5) played tons and tons of hours of a game like MGS or Halo it could warp their sensitivity and/or emotions about violence, possibly creating problems later. So the ratings, specifically M, is very important and I'm not sure if adding another rating would change a lot of the issues for everyone.

About your situation, I understand why you are upset, but not all adults are like that. It usually has to do with how much they know about gaming. My parents didn't let me have any games when I was growing up until they let me buy a gamecube at age 11. I was always so into my games I'd show them stuff and play the soundtracks in the car and talk about the lore and etc. And as I got older I naturally got into more mature games and by that time they knew what was going on. I'm not trying to say my parents were amazing or anything, what I'm trying to say is that I was always actively getting them involved in the gaming process. It's none of my business, but if you want my advice on how to handle the Dual Destinies issue (although in theory you could just buy an eShop card and download it) I would wait until one of them was just hanging out and then talk about the game, how it's this great legal drama game that you're a big fan of and the new one is coming out. It's M, but it has great messages and is a wonderfully written crime drama. And then show them the trailer and the gameplay videos where you can see the blood, etc. and let them see what it really is that's making up the M rating. What kind of TV Shows do you watch? You could probably find a show that they know you watch that has the same amount of violence in it and say that its only as violent as that show.

Anyway, I understand this is an issue for some families but I also know that the ratings system is important in stopping less-responsible parents from screwing their kids up. And in the end whether or not I agree with it it is a parental decision and has to be worked out with them rather than blame the ESRB or Capcom. For all we know this is the best GS yet and it just happens to be darker and more violent. That might help the game a lot, and it is in the best interests for the game to not cut the game to get a better rating, the same way you shouldn't neccesarily cut an R rated move to make it PG-13 unless the violence is gratuitous.

I found it dumb they gave phoenix a young voice :yuusaku:

I think people forget Ben Judd's original effect or haven't actually heard it with good speakers.

It sounded like Jimmy Fallon inhaled helium.

I know Ben Judd isn't perfect (before the new trailer I was totally against him) but I actually think he sounds better than the original.
It's the Apollo and Edgeworth voices I'm worried about, since they were pretty great originally.

Nick's original voice was more high pitched when first recorded in 2001. Now he sounds older and more experienced in his years. I think the reason why Capcom chose Sam Riegel to voice voice him now, besides once being Phoenix in UMvC3, is probably because he kinda has the voice we could imagine 24 year old Nick having. Odoroki's voice actor sounds pretty close to the 2007 recordings, so if the guys at Comic Con today play the demo as Apollo, it's pretty much 50/50 if his English voice actor sounds decent or crap. As for Edgeworth, his Japanese voice sounds like the original but older, which is good. Though I don't think Capcom will reveal his voice actor until later since it seems that Edgeworth won't show until around case 4. :edgeworth:

Oops; I just realized I said "I know Ben Judd isn't perfect" but I meant Sam Reigel.

I always thought Apollo had the most intense and best sound effects out of all of them, so hopefully the new voice lives up to it.
As for Edgeworth, I wonder if he'll actually be British or not. I like Edgeworth's Objection but the rest of his sounds sounded too high-pitched; I always imagined him sounding deeper more like Benedict Cumberbatch.

About 4 hours until the Capcom event; Hopefully we'll be hearing some news soon!

OBJECTION!

Sorry for being late to the party - only just noticed that DD would be M rated on Facebook.
Really surprised DD got an M rating - does that mean a 16+ rating for the UK?
The highest rating AA games have got in the UK is 12+ (or T in the US).
Maybe there'll be harsher language and more graphic violence (maybe due to the 3D) in DD?
Nick and Maya - Friends and Lovers....

I'm willing to bet that the content in Dual Destines will be about on par with Layton Brothers Mystery Room. That game was rated 12+ though. It really is stupid that the ESRB is rating this game M. Like I've mentioned before, every country besides the U.S. has an "in-between" rating between 12+/13+ and 17+/18+. We're the only country to NOT have this, so the game had to be rated M. Smart move, ESRB. :yuusaku:

Quote:

I'm not talking about the Twin Snakes. I'm talking about the very original MGS for PlayStation. I agree that TS deserves its M rating because of the amount of violence. What do you mean "valid rating?" The content in the game hasn't changed at all. It should have been rated T from the beginning. The ESRB stupidly said that MGS1 contained "Mature Sexual Themes." You've played the game just as I have and we both know that it has no such content. In fact, the Twin Snakes had the discriptor "Suggestive Themes." That just shows you how far off they were the first time around. :yuusaku:
The same goes for MGS2. There really isn't that much violence in this game, at least from what I can remember.

Quote:

What about Skyward Sword? That game was rated E10+ and it practically has the same gameplay as Twilight Princess. Just because the art style is different, should that really affect the rating? Is the sight of minimal blood that bad for people to handle? The blood in Twilight Princess isn't even that gratuitous. I never said that Brawl should be rated E. I think that it should be rated E10+ all the way. There's more violence in a Tom and Jerry cartoon for crying out loud.

Quote:

The way they mention Strong Sexual Content makes it sound like it's happening throughout the game, almost like explicit pornography. This most certainly isn't the case, but anyone reading the rating could easily assume so.

Quote:

I've already said this. It doesn't matter if a game is rated E or M. The parents have to be responsible enough to determine what's suitable for their child. A rating wouldn't mean shit if the parents don't even pay attention in the first place. If a young child is playing MGS or Halo, that's the parents' faults and not the game's.

And adding another rating WOULD change things. Why does EVERY OTHER COUNTRY have it then!? There's a HUGE gap between 13 year-olds and 17 year-olds. Why shouldn't I be allowed to buy Halo Reach, just because there's no alternative rating?

Quote:

I've already explained this, too. A lot of adults ARE very strict. There are many kids at my school who are my age, but their parents prohibit them from playing Mature rated games. The same goes for parents that don't pay attention either. Both types of parents exist, and they're both a problem. Just because you don't have to go through any of this, doesn't mean that it's not happening for a lot of kids.

That's great, I truly am happy that you're parents are so understanding. You were much luckier than most kids out there.

With me, my parents don't give a damn about the games that I play. All they care about is the rating, and that's it. No amount of persuasion is going to change that, and I have to deal with it by sneaking my games in without them knowing. I don't own a 3DS yet, but when I do; it's going to be the same. I'll play DD if it's the last thing I do, and I don't care what my parents think. And I don't watch that much TV or anything similar to Ace Attorney, either; so that argument won't work with them. It doesn't matter how huge of a fan I am or how "good" the messages are. I'm sorry, but you really don't understand what my life is like. I have my reasons for being angry at the ESRB, and they're the reasons why video games get so much shit from stupid politicians and adults who simply don't understand.

Last edited by TopHatProfessor1014 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OBJECTION!

Also just remembered the original PW:AA was rated 7+ over here, but T in the US. Strange.

Levi x Tide detergent OTP

grim_tales wrote:
Also just remembered the original PW:AA was rated 7+ over here, but T in the US. Strange.

I played PW:AA myself and I have to say, the first game was probably the tamest when it came to content.
"Girl, shut up and drink my spiked coffee." - Godot AckermanImage

I play videogames.

ADA McCoy wrote:
I always thought Apollo had the most intense and best sound effects out of all of them, so hopefully the new voice lives up to it.

Agreed! I felt Apollo's exclamations sounded like you were "hitting" the witnesses/prosecution the hardest. I liked how his original voice had such authority.
Image Image Image

Quote:
I played PW:AA myself and I have to say, the first game was probably the tamest when it came to content.

Actually, I thought the first game had more swearing and more apparent suggestive themes.

Spoiler: Rise From The Ashes Spoiler
Plus, who could forget that scene where Jake Marshall's brother is impaled on that suit of armor?:

I'm curious to see how intense the violence gets in DD. It doesn't seem that bad so far.

TopHatProfessor1014 wrote:

I'm curious to see how intense the violence gets in DD. It doesn't seem that bad so far.

Spoiler:
Wasn't someone impaled by a spear after being drugged?

I'm not saying that warrants an M, but it's a pretty messy way to die.

This is a series in which someone watches her sister burn to death in a car accident. It's always been grim.

Quote:
I'm not talking about the Twin Snakes. I'm talking about the very original MGS for PlayStation. I agree that TS deserves its M rating because of the amount of violence. What do you mean "valid rating?" The content in the game hasn't changed at all. It should have been rated T from the beginning. The ESRB stupidly said that MGS1 contained "Mature Sexual Themes." You've played the game just as I have and we both know that it has no such content. In fact, the Twin Snakes had the discriptor "Suggestive Themes." That just shows you how far off they were the first time around. :yuusaku:
The same goes for MGS2. There really isn't that much violence in this game, at least from what I can remember.

What I meant by valid rating was that video games were grader stricter back then, especially games with gun violence because of things like Columbine happening around that time. At the time, the game was rated M and that was a valid rating for THAT TIME. If the game was released now it probably would have been rated T, because everyone is a little more lax now. Perhaps there should be a discussion about re-rating older games, because this is no doubt an issue for a lot of them. This happens in movies, too; movies that should have been rated PG-13 or PG were rated R because of cultural standards at the time (especially since PG-13 wasn't invented until the 80's). I would still personally consider MGS2 to be M rated, but I tend to me more sensitive to violence so yeah I think if it had been released today it might have gone either way.

Quote:
What about Skyward Sword? That game was rated E10+ and it practically has the same gameplay as Twilight Princess. Just because the art style is different, should that really affect the rating? Is the sight of minimal blood that bad for people to handle? The blood in Twilight Princess isn't even that gratuitous. I never said that Brawl should be rated E. I think that it should be rated E10+ all the way. There's more violence in a Tom and Jerry cartoon for crying out loud.

I think the plot of SS was a little more classical-fairy-tale-tone kind of thing, and by extension had less frightening cutscenes. I would say SS is slightly more appropriate for children than Twilight Princess. And while YOU might not find minimal blood too much for people to handle, for many (including me at 14 or 15) any blood in the game could instantly ruin it. Everyone has their own level of sensitivity and the ratings need to ensure people who are sensitive about blood know about it.

Quote:
The way they mention Strong Sexual Content makes it sound like it's happening throughout the game, almost like explicit pornography. This most certainly isn't the case, but anyone reading the rating could easily assume so.

I understand what you are saying, and I agree that people worry about sexual themes in games too often (especially when our society seems to be totally alright with gruesome, senseless violence in most games) but to some very conservative families a sex scene in a game IS the equivalent of pornography. If the ESRB didn't make something sound like it's worst possible interpretation, they would get sued off their asses (which has happened before).

Quote:
I've already said this. It doesn't matter if a game is rated E or M. The parents have to be responsible enough to determine what's suitable for their child. A rating wouldn't mean shit if the parents don't even pay attention in the first place. If a young child is playing MGS or Halo, that's the parents' faults and not the game's.

I agree with that; I don't think its the game's fault at all. Parents are totally to blame. But my point was that the reasons why there needs to be a cautious ratings system is because parents usually aren't very responsible about this stuff. I know your situation is a problem with tons of kids, but there is no question that there are many more parents who just don't even bother to check the ratings. If a game getting an M rating can prevent a kid from playing a game that will disturb him, then I fully support it. And once again, that doesn't mean I blame the game. The game could be a work of art that the kid is simply TOO YOUNG to play and his parents don't spend the time to research and be smart.

Quote:
And adding another rating WOULD change things. Why does EVERY OTHER COUNTRY have it then!? There's a HUGE gap between 13 year-olds and 17 year-olds. Why shouldn't I be allowed to buy Halo Reach, just because there's no alternative rating?

You are correct, and I apologize because I made a mistake. I was under the impression that M-rated games were 16+, not 17+. As 16 was the same as PEGI 16 and roughly the same as CERO 15 I was confused as to why it was this big of a deal. Now I understand and can see why people are upset. The ratings system does need a rating in between T and M, and M probably needs to become 18+ because the 18+ rating AO is only used for games banned in stores, etc.

Quote:
I've already explained this, too. A lot of adults ARE very strict. There are many kids at my school who are my age, but their parents prohibit them from playing Mature rated games. The same goes for parents that don't pay attention either. Both types of parents exist, and they're both a problem. Just because you don't have to go through any of this, doesn't mean that it's not happening for a lot of kids.

That's great, I truly am happy that you're parents are so understanding. You were much luckier than most kids out there.

With me, my parents don't give a damn about the games that I play. All they care about is the rating, and that's it. No amount of persuasion is going to change that, and I have to deal with it by sneaking my games in without them knowing. I don't own a 3DS yet, but when I do; it's going to be the same. I'll play DD if it's the last thing I do, and I don't care what my parents think. And I don't watch that much TV or anything similar to Ace Attorney, either; so that argument won't work with them. It doesn't matter how huge of a fan I am or how "good" the messages are. I'm sorry, but you really don't understand what my life is like. I have my reasons for being angry at the ESRB, and they're the reasons why video games get so much shit from stupid politicians and adults who simply don't understand.

When I shared my story I was not trying to talk down to you or claim that my stories is everyone else's. I was simply explaining that my parents used to be totally anti-gaming and by getting them involved in the process I changed that. I wasn't saying you or anyone else was wrong for not doing that or that my situation was better than yours, I was simply throwing out what I did on the off chance it could help you. I'm not claiming to understand what you're life is like; there's no way I ever could. I never meant any disrespect towards you and generally feel for your situation, which is why I was just throwing out what I did.

However, I don't feel the ESRB is to blame for the mis-information about gaming. Like any other new form of media, like Rock & Roll, Movies, Comic-Books, and Heavy Metal, when it is new those who don't know it vilify it and make generalizations. And honestly, if we weren't gamers we would probably do the same thing, because it seems the majority of games we see now are gritty shooters in which people take headshots and hijack cars. A person who isn't a gamer isn't going to remember Mario, Zelda, of Phoenix Wright: They're going to think of the awful violence of Mortal Kombat or Grand Theft Auto and they are going to make decisions based on those images. And politicians will pander to that to get votes just like news organizations will air those images along with concern in order to get viewers.

I do believe violent video games are bad for small children. I do believe that more studies need to be done about video games' affect on people, not because I think they're going to turn into murderers but because things like stress and anxiety no doubt are triggered when playing games today. And I do think we need a ratings board to behave similarly to how it is now. You are right, there needs to be another rating; as I said, I was confused about M's age. And I do feel sorry for what you're going through. But once again, that's not really the ESRB's issue but rather you're parents.

As you said earlier, our generation will be much smarter when it comes to buying our kids games. And there will probably be some newfangled technology that we will worry and fear about and try to stop our kids from using. It's a repeating cycle.

Racing through the sky like a Missile

Thane wrote:
TopHatProfessor1014 wrote:

Spoiler:
Wasn't someone impaled by a spear after being drugged?

I'm not saying that warrants an M, but it's a pretty messy way to die.

More importantly, it's planted on the official site for anyone to see. Blood splatters everywhere. Murder weapon sticking out of corpse in plain sight. The scene is a mess. I have an urge to clean it.

The series isn't usually this open about its violent scenes. That one instance in Rise from the Ashes was secluded to a photo that appeared rather late into the case. The Investigations games tend to show the dead bodies out in the open a bit more, but they're also relatively mild, with only a little blood leaking out on the floor.

The most violent scenes of murder throughout the series have all either been hidden, implied, or taken out altogether. The rest is left up to imagination.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

Quote:
What I meant by valid rating was that video games were grader stricter back then, especially games with gun violence because of things like Columbine happening around that time. At the time, the game was rated M and that was a valid rating for THAT TIME. If the game was released now it probably would have been rated T, because everyone is a little more lax now. Perhaps there should be a discussion about re-rating older games, because this is no doubt an issue for a lot of them. This happens in movies, too; movies that should have been rated PG-13 or PG were rated R because of cultural standards at the time (especially since PG-13 wasn't invented until the 80's). I would still personally consider MGS2 to be M rated, but I tend to me more sensitive to violence so yeah I think if it had been released today it might have gone either way.

That just shows you how un-objective the ESRB is. If what you say is true, than they're obviously influenced by the current events and taboos of each year. That means that they don't rate the game's content objectively on its own. Like you said, a lot of games and movies SHOULD be re-rated; but neither the ESRB or MPAA care enough to do so.

Quote:
I understand what you are saying, and I agree that people worry about sexual themes in games too often (especially when our society seems to be totally alright with gruesome, senseless violence in most games) but to some very conservative families a sex scene in a game IS the equivalent of pornography. If the ESRB didn't make something sound like it's worst possible interpretation, they would get sued off their asses (which has happened before).

Then they ARE being misleading. They should be rating the game OBJECTIVELY, not because of certain families. What exactly can they do? If the family doesn't want their kid playing games like RDR, then MAKE SURE HE DOESN'T PLAY IT.

Quote:
If a game getting an M rating can prevent a kid from playing a game that will disturb him, then I fully support it. And once again, that doesn't mean I blame the game. The game could be a work of art that the kid is simply TOO YOUNG to play and his parents don't spend the time to research and be smart.

Yes, if a game genuinely deserves to be rated M and the parents actually do decide to actively get involved, then yes the rating does work. But if a game SHOULDN'T be rated M or has misleading discriptors, than that kid just got screwed over from playing a perfectly suitable game.

Quote:
When I shared my story I was not trying to talk down to you or claim that my stories is everyone else's. I was simply explaining that my parents used to be totally anti-gaming and by getting them involved in the process I changed that. I wasn't saying you or anyone else was wrong for not doing that or that my situation was better than yours, I was simply throwing out what I did on the off chance it could help you. I'm not claiming to understand what you're life is like; there's no way I ever could. I never meant any disrespect towards you and generally feel for your situation, which is why I was just throwing out what I did.

I appreciate your concern, but I was talking about how my parents don't even WANT to get involve. Like I said, they don't care enough or understand to be even slightly interested in my hobby. But I hide the games anyways, so it makes no difference really.

Quote:
However, I don't feel the ESRB is to blame for the mis-information about gaming. Like any other new form of media, like Rock & Roll, Movies, Comic-Books, and Heavy Metal, when it is new those who don't know it vilify it and make generalizations. And honestly, if we weren't gamers we would probably do the same thing, because it seems the majority of games we see now are gritty shooters in which people take headshots and hijack cars. A person who isn't a gamer isn't going to remember Mario, Zelda, of Phoenix Wright: They're going to think of the awful violence of Mortal Kombat or Grand Theft Auto and they are going to make decisions based on those images. And politicians will pander to that to get votes just like news organizations will air those images along with concern in order to get viewers.

They are partially. They don't give an accurate description for certain games, they give out wrong ratings, and they have no middle ground between T and M. But I do agree that it's mostly the stupid politicians to blame. It sickens me to think that these adults are trying to regulate the hobby of thousands of gamers, just because they want to fulfill their own personal agenda.

Quote:
I do believe violent video games are bad for small children. I do believe that more studies need to be done about video games' affect on people, not because I think they're going to turn into murderers but because things like stress and anxiety no doubt are triggered when playing games today. And I do think we need a ratings board to behave similarly to how it is now. You are right, there needs to be another rating; as I said, I was confused about M's age. And I do feel sorry for what you're going through. But once again, that's not really the ESRB's issue but rather you're parents.

Anything violent or intense is bad for young children. But again, that has nothing to do with the movie or game; it's up to the parents. Video games have no affect on violent people. The people playing these games usually have pretty shitty lives, and suffer from mental issues. It's not video games we should be worrying about, but mental healthcare and other issues. But that's another topic.

How is it NOT the ESRBs fault? Sure, my parent are stubborn too, but if they're an unreliable organization with no 15+ rating, me and thousands of other kids can't play games that have no choice but to be rated M since there's no middle ground. The ESRB needs to change drastically, but you know what? It's not going to happen. What can we as gamers do? There's almost no information about them available, and online petitions don't do anything. It's sad that we have to deal with this, but there's nothing we can do.

OBJECTION!

fourtrass wrote:
grim_tales wrote:

I agree. 12+ for JFA and T&T were about right though (though I played the US versions of both games), especially for 2-2, 2-4 and 3-5.
On the other hand I felt Rise from the Ashes (1-5) was pretty dark in places for 7+ (PG) game. You dont really see anything though.

grim_tales wrote:
fourtrass wrote:
grim_tales wrote:

I agree. 12+ for JFA and T&T were about right though (though I played the US versions of both games), especially for 2-2, 2-4 and 3-5.
On the other hand I felt Rise from the Ashes (1-5) was pretty dark in places for 7+ (PG) game. You dont really see anything though.

I wonder if the stuff they haven't showed us for the cases is the reason for the change in rating

Legend Lawyer

So...uhmm...was there something worth mentioning at the SDCC? :yogi:

The Law 'Shark'

drivojunior323 wrote:

Not really, no
~Beware of the Shark - He'll bite!~

Legend Lawyer

Sebastian Stark wrote:
drivojunior323 wrote:

Not really, no

Well, that's disappointing :sadshoe:

drivojunior323 wrote:
Sebastian Stark wrote:
drivojunior323 wrote:

Not really, no

Well, that's disappointing :sadshoe:

Thats san deigo for you :hotti:

Wow, this rating shook me up. I don't care whether a game is considered "mature" or not. (I'm 18, but I almost never play M rated games.) I care more about what's actually in there. I can handle more violence... but I detest sexual content. I'm really looking forward to playing it, but if the M rating scares me. It could have content in there I'm not comfortable with. If someone plays the Japanese version once it comes out, please explain what made it get a higher rating.

tayo wrote:
Wow, this rating shook me up. I don't care whether a game is considered "mature" or not. (I'm 18, but I almost never play M rated games.) I care more about what's actually in there. I can handle more violence... but I detest sexual content. I'm really looking forward to playing it, but if the M rating scares me. It could have content in there I'm not comfortable with. If someone plays the Japanese version once it comes out, please explain what made it get a higher rating.

Im pretty sure there wont be alot of sexual content it will probally be rated M due to the violence from the cases

Blah!

tayo wrote:

None of the descriptors say anything about sexual content, so you shouldn't see anything more than normal (if you can call Mia and Cammy's appearances normal).

blahmoomoo wrote:
tayo wrote:

None of the descriptors say anything about sexual content, so you shouldn't see anything more than normal (if you can call Mia and Cammy's appearances normal).

dont forget april may :hotti:

I wish I WERE the best.

Aww, nothing new? I was thinking they would show a trailer for the game.

AnsweringNOW wrote:
Aww, nothing new? I was thinking they would show a trailer for the game.

sadly they didn't very disappointed capcom :grey:

tayo wrote:

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=207849

It's only gotten a PG-rating in Australia, same as the others.

Maybe USA reviewers don't like the bombing?
LOL parody sig trend. Phoenix/Maya Day is Sept 5!
[ Read my fanfics! =) | Phoenix/Maya 'Evidence' List ]

icer wrote:
tayo wrote:

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=207849

It's only gotten a PG-rating in Australia, same as the others.

Maybe USA reviewers don't like the bombing?

hmm true maybe it could be due to the whole boston bombing scare
Page 4 of 6 [ 208 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » General » Trial Minutes