Board index » General » Trial Minutes

Page 1 of 1[ 7 posts ]

Capcom Legends Interview with Takumi (DGS)Topic%20Title

迷探偵

A fairly long interview with Takumi in the Capcom Legends interview series was put on the Capcom site today. For those interested: an I-translated-it-as-I-read-it-so-there-are-probably-a-lot-of-little-mistakes-there translation.

Q: How did this new project, Dai Gyakuten Saiban, start?
A: It started when they asked me early 2013 if I wanted to make a Gyakuten Saiban seperate of the numbered series. I proposed a game with Sherlock Holmes and that how it got rolling.

Q: So Sherlock Holmes was there from the start?
I had considered other ideas. For example, I also looked at civil trials as a hook. But I realized the game would be about rather ugly topics, like "Mediation between family members fighting over an inheritance" or "Settling Things Out of Court In A Case of Being Falsely Accused of Molesting", cases with no clear-cut conclusions.

Q: That's true (laugh)
A: Originally, I came up with the idea of Gyakuten Saiban because I wanted something else than just choosing options. I thought about a way to have the player input their own deductions themselves directly, and the answer I came up with was the system where you point out contradictions between testimony and evidence.

Q: (W)right! GS is indeed a bit different from those games where you just have to make a choice between command options.
A: And so I came up with a laywer as a detective, and the setting of the courtroom, instead of the crime scene. But another answer I came up with at the time was: Maybe I could make a mystery game where a great detective made the wrong deductions, and where you needed to correct and lead him to the truth. That idea was "Sherlock Holmes (temp title)"

Q: The new "Joint Reasoning" system! When did you think of that?
A: Around 2000, somewhere around the first and the third GS game.

Q: That long ago?! So DGS started with joining that idea with GS?
A: I had been wanting to do a Holmes game for a long time, so with the opportunity presented, I schemed to make it happen one way or another! So yes, DGS started with Sherlock Holmes. But there's a lot of reasons for Holmes appearing in the game. For the game mechanics of course, but to set this project apart from the numbered series, it was the easiest to set this game in a different time period, which also opened up new opportunities for the mystery plot. It was perfect for the game. So I thought about how Japan looked like when Holmes lived, which is how I came up with the in-game universe.

Q: Takumi-san, what is your impression of 19th century London, where Holmes lived?
A: After first reading Holmes in middle school, I only read mystery fiction set in that period. So it might be all in my head, but I am fairly familiar with the setting. The late Victorian age was when scientific investigation started when they first accepted fingerprints as evidence and there was the technological revolution with photocameras, gramaphones and automobiles and the move from gas and steam to electricity... anyway, it was a period of much change and therefore interesting. This big center of energy is what lies at the base of the story.

Q: I see. By the way, what Holmes story do you like best?
A: I'm often asked that, but I find it hard to answer. But I think the easiest answer is the first 12 stories that make up the first short story collection. People think of Holmes as the great detective, but even he makes mistakes at times and feels bad because of them, and there's the friendship with Watson. He's a very human character. You'll understand that as you read more of his stories, so I recommend reading a lot of them.

Q: What was difficult about directing this project?
A: It's been a while since I wrote a GS scenario, so there was the pressure to write something that in terms of quality, wouldn't lose from GS1 to GS3.

Q: You wanted something that could compete with GS?
A: Yes. So with that pressure, I just started writing without thinking about pacing or anything. And for various reasons, the story structure changed several times and I had trouble keeping the scenario in check. You might think that a scenario should be written from start to finish after you've decided on everything, but in reality it doesn't go like that. As you write, you suddenly see things in a way you had never considered before, as if driven by a mysterious energy. Could it be Holmes' energy? Mystery fiction is about surprises, but I even was sometimes shocked by what I had come up with, something more surprising than the surprises I myself had planned, so you can expect the unexpected from the story. I've been making games for 20 years now, so by now you'd think I'd be better at controlling this process though (laugh).

Q: There's something profound in the creation process, right?
A: A large part of it comes from the staff members who watched over me with warm eyes, but we did everything until it wasn't possible to do anything more. That's also true of the development schedule.

Q: A question about creating the DGS characters. I think that characters made alive with polygons started for you with Ghost Trick, and now DGS, but what was difficult about that and what is new?
A: Ghost Trick was in the end 2D graphics, but from Layton VS GS and now DGS... I think the motifs have become bigger now. GT was like a theater where I wanted to show the whole bodies of the characters, so I used spotlights and had them dance and stuff, very different from GS. Now with DGS, I'm letting them do that too, and more.

Q: Now you mention it, the use of the spotlight in GT was very memorable.
A: We used motion capture for DGS. In the original stories, Holmes could deduce the most incredible things from a man's tiniest movements or the movements of the eyes and to reenact those scenes in DGS, we used mo-cap. This time we can control the movements of the eyes of the characters and to show that off at the start of the game, I came up with... restless-eyes-Ryuunosuke.

Q: Ah, yes, his eyes did move around a lot in his character introduction PV.
A: That's the thing we wanted to mention the most today! (laugh). We can now control the eyes of all the major characters, but that takes a lot of time and by the end, our eyes too hurt. But it looks very good on the screen, so it was worth it. We didn't just use mo-cap to get realistic movements, but we also came up with "GS"-esque uses for it, so please look forward to it.

Q: Finally, something to say to all the players.
A: It's been 15 years since the first GS, but thanks to all of you playing the game, we've now been able to make DGS. From people who've been there since the first game to people who only started last week, when I think about it and realize that DGS is a game made possible because of a long history of people after people playing the games, I can only be enormous grateful for it. GS is a series that has developed because of those playing the games and I myself too am only here because of the reactions of the fans. DGS is the game where I poured all my feelings of thanks in, hoping to repay your kindness. I'd be happy if you'll play the game!
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear
Re: Capcom Legends Interview with Takumi (DGS)Topic%20Title

Art Person

Ah Takumi, you're such a swell guy!
So Holmes was the inspiration from the get-go!? I like how he can incorporate his old ideas into this now. It's like we're getting the "What if GS was like this?".

Also they used motion capture! I can't wait to see these subtle movements. (As a spriter, I'm gonna dread it if people want me to make animation sets... Athena's DA poses are hard enough as it is).

Ash wrote:
DGS is the game where I poured all my feelings of thanks in, hoping to repay your kindness. I'd be happy if you'll play the game!

Then tell your producer to frigging localize the game already.

Racing through the sky like a Missile

I'm pretty sure Kojima doesn't have much to do about Capcom US' side of the work. We'll have to wait to hear from those people regarding localization.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

[Whip the cream!]

Quote:
A: It's been 15 years since the first GS, but thanks to all of you playing the game, we've now been able to make DGS. From people who've been there since the first game to people who only started last week, when I think about it and realize that DGS is a game made possible because of a long history of people after people playing the games, I can only be enormous grateful for it. GS is a series that has developed because of those playing the games and I myself too am only here because of the reactions of the fans. DGS is the game where I poured all my feelings of thanks in, hoping to repay your kindness. I'd be happy if you'll play the game!

Awwww. :acro: That sounded incredibly sweet.
Gimme a "P"! Gimme an "I"! Give me a "P" and an "E"! What's that spell?! Pipe!

Winter Flag Trademark

I finally got to know the answers I was looking for. But I'll have to agree... Takumi was very sweet when he said he'll be happy if all plays his game. He may not know this, but... NOT ALL PEOPLE HERE KNOWS JAPANESE!! :ka-whip:

Sorry for my exaggeration, but that's the truth. Someone probably need to work on the localization of DGS. Or else it's Japan-Only.

...unless there's a way to modify the 3DS System, and I doubt that'll happen anyways. If it does happen, it'll take 2-5 years to completely localize it when it's fully released.

Seriously, people. :youngmia:

This account is dead. Link to my DeviantART.

Art Person

Ace Pointer wrote:
...unless there's a way to modify the 3DS System, and I doubt that'll happen anyways. If it does happen, it'll take 2-5 years to completely localize it when it's fully released.

If it's confirmed Japan only, and the in game scripts are as easily readable as the demo (which they most likely won't be) we could get a fan translation? Fire Emblem if's fan translation started the day the game realeased, and they finished the 1st chapter, so it's not impossible.
Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Board index » General » Trial Minutes