Board index » General » Trial Minutes

Page 1 of 1[ 28 posts ]

The Court-Records 2015 OC Contest is here!Topic%20Title

元・超会社員級の管理人

It may be a bit later than normal this year, but the Court-Records Original Character Contest is back! Not familiar with it? The idea's simple: come up with Ace Attorney fan characters and you could win some serious AA swag! (Not to mention some internet bragging points.)

This year, we're celebrating Dai Gyakuten Saiban, and so the theme is Victorian London and Meiji Japan - create an Ace Attorney OC that would fit one of those settings. These characters must be depicted in the form of a fanwork, in one of four categories: fanart, fanfiction, spriting, and - for the first time - 3D models! The four categories will be judged entirely separate from each other, and after a round of private judging, the finalists will be voted on by the public.

What's up for grabs? Well, a whole bunch of DGS, AAI, and AA5 swag, plus - for first-place winners - their character immortalized in a piece by Eisner Award-winning artist (and former C-R contest winner) Nina Matsumoto! Check out the prizes section of the contest page for details.

For the full rules and details, check out the contest page! At present, entries will be accepted until November 29th.

When you're ready to enter, we have entry topics set up for Fanfiction, Fanart, Sprites, and Models.

And finally, if you're an AA fan and would rather help out than enter yourself, we're still looking for a few judges! Please get in contact via e-mail or PM if you're interested. Any questions can either be posted in this topic or e-mailed to us at courtrecord@gmail.com.

Good luck, everyone!

-----

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: Do I have to theme it around DGS?

A: Yes, but that's a very broad 'yes'. Don't feel like you have to include specific DGS references - all we're looking for is "Victorian London" or "Meiji Japan" as the background.

Q: Can I create an ancestor of a canon character?

A: Yes! Just be a bit creative - they should be more original than “canon character in a top hat”.

Q: Can I adapt an existing Holmes character not featured in DGS?

A: Yes, but again, originality is key! To use DGS itself as an example: Iris and Garrideb would be fine, as they take only light inspiration from their canon counterparts. Gregson would be much more borderline. If you’re concerned, reach out to us and we’ll make a call.

Q: Can I have more than one OC in my work?

A: Yes, but you should choose one to be your submission.

Q: Do I have to be 100% period-accurate?

A: No, not really. While you should of course try to make your character fit in to either Meiji Japan or Victorian London, we won’t be going over entries with a fine-toothed comb for slight anachronisms.

Q: I’m not very familiar with the setting, since I haven’t played DGS. How can I enter?

A: In addition to the spoiler-free profiles, try poking around the Japanese DGS site to get a feel for the aesthetic of the game! It’s a world of cultural upheavals in Japan as Westernization begins to show, and of pride and technological advancement in Britain. And for those looking for an exact date, DGS takes place sometime in late 1899/early 1900 (give or take a year).

We’re very aware DGS is less accessible than some other games in the series (cough cough Capcom cough cough), so we really aren’t looking for lavish canon-complicity. Again, you don't need to use specific DGS details to make a character.
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.
Re: The Court-Records 2015 OC Contest is here!Topic%20Title

So, for the characters, do we need to get the clothes as close as possible to correct for the time-frame? (Or "AA-Meiji/Victorian"?)
Ditto with hair? Not forcing us to use only certian hairstyles that were the norm then, but... like, if we have a Victorian woman with very short hair, do we need to explain why she has short hair? (It would work for a background)

C-A

In Justice We Trust

Just discussed it on Skype, and this is what the current consensus is, although not everyone on the staff has spoke on the matter yet.

Bad Player wrote:
The contest is going to be judged by CR members, and then the internet at large. While the theme of the contest is Victorian England and Meiji Japan, I doubt many of us are experts or even knowledgeable in authentic fashion of the times. If you have a character that looks like Jake Marshall or Lisa Basil, that probably wouldn't fit very well. But small anachronisms (like short hair on a woman) are probably fine, and if you want to explain them and flesh them out in your character's backstory/description, more power to you.

I'll always love you, Max.

Quote:
I doubt many of us are experts or even knowledgeable in authentic fashion of the times

No offense, but you can easily google images of the clothes or hairdos, so it's not... you know, an impossibility or something that requires expert knowledge. Heck, I just looked up museums in Tokyo, specifically one that may have Chinese exhibits, so as to put it into my story

But good to know, nonetheless.

C-A

In Justice We Trust

Certainly true, although I question the extent to which rudimentary Google searches give someone anything more than a rudimentary understanding of fashion at the time. Still, a loose understanding of something is better than no understanding at all (at least as long as one recognizes the limits of one's own knowledge).
I'll always love you, Max.

1000% Knight

It's certainly true that you can study authentic fashion of the time on the internet, but the question is if the voting population will do so, which is a totally different issue.
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

A Kirby and AA fan

Another point is if it matters too much. It's all about making it fit the setting, and not necessarily making it 100% authentic, I'd say.

Wotter boy

I've been waiting for this..

Nurio wrote:
Another point is if it matters too much. It's all about making it fit the setting, and not necessarily making it 100% authentic, I'd say.

Hence I asked if it had to be 'proper' Meiji/Victorian or AA-Meiji/Victorian, what with the Victorian having a steampunk theme with two of the prominent characters.

C-A

Prosecutor

Mh, i don't know if i will join this time.
Last year i failed (much probably because of the story, and also, i was forced to give 2 characters instead of only one)...But i don't have any new sprites or artwork to show at the moment.
The contest ends this November, right? If i have time i will try to make some new sprites and/or artwork.
Good luck everyone.

The Enigma

Probably a lame question, but for fanfiction writing, does it have to stick to canon?
I've heard rumors… Bramimond, one of the eight legends, devoted himself entirely to the dark. All emotion, all memory… dissolved in a river of dark. That is how he received the power to best dragons

元・超会社員級の管理人

We're not gonna be super-sticklers over Victorian/Meiji authenticity. As long as you don't have a Baker Street Irregular in converses, you're probably doing fine.

Bramimond wrote:
Probably a lame question, but for fanfiction writing, does it have to stick to canon?

We like to keep things semi-reasonable, but given DGS is Japanese-only right now we're happy to be more lenient.

On that note - we're looking at getting a spoiler-free DGS page up so people can get a better feel for the characters and settings without having to spoil themselves. Stay tuned!
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.

Great Revival

If the OC is an ancestor of an existing character, is it allowed?

元・超会社員級の管理人

Yes! Obviously you shouldn't just take an existing character, put them in a top hat, and call it a day, but ancestors are fair game.

Wooster wrote:

Great Revival

Bolt Storm wrote:
Yes! Obviously you shouldn't just take an existing character, put them in a top hat, and call it a day, but ancestors are fair game.

Awesome! :edgey:
Also, how is that spoiler-free character page going?

The imagination justifies the pimp

Well, looks like I'm late to the party :yogi:

Eh well, I'll participate nevertheless.

Kind of been offline for a while

I think That I may enter, I'm working on my first sprite now, in fact.

元・超会社員級の管理人

There's still two weeks to enter! In addition, an FAQ has been added to the first post.

Wooster wrote:

Bolt Storm wrote:
There's still two weeks to enter! In addition, an FAQ has been added to the first post.

Thanks for the notice. It seems like everyone's probably either not participating, or submitting their sprites towards the bare end of the deadline. I do hope other people do this though, It would be kind of boring if I just turned in my sprite, and it was the only one there.

Last edited by ThatoneJimmy on Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Great Revival

ThatoneJimmy wrote:
Bolt Storm wrote:

submitting their sprites

Or fanfiction or art or 3D Models.

Oliver wrote:
ThatoneJimmy wrote:
Bolt Storm wrote:

submitting their sprites

Or fanfiction or art or 3D Models.

I have not checked those yet, so I didn't know if anyone made any yet.

Great Revival

The art one has like 8 people participating so far.

The Enigma

ThatoneJimmy wrote:
Bolt Storm wrote:

Thanks for the notice. It seems like everyone's probably either not participating, or submitting their sprites towards the bare end of the deadline. I do hope other people do this though, It would be kind of boring if I just turned in my sprite, and it was the only one there.

I'm entering the Fanfiction division. Getting the story done is taking a while though.
I've heard rumors… Bramimond, one of the eight legends, devoted himself entirely to the dark. All emotion, all memory… dissolved in a river of dark. That is how he received the power to best dragons

Great Revival

And I'm entering none because I don't know how to write, draw, model or sprite

The Enigma

Oliver wrote:

Are you gonna be a judge?

Great Revival

Bramimond wrote:
Oliver wrote:

Are you gonna be a judge?

Nah, only old bald people can be judges. :yogi:

But honestly, who would want some stupid kid on the internet to be a judge?

The Mad Storywriter

I just read the rules and it says only ONE character. So this contest is not like last year were you could submit several characters? (like a prosecutor or a witnesss etc.)

元・超会社員級の管理人

Correct. But if you want to have more than one OC in your entry, that's fine - but you should only choose one as your 'submission'.

Wooster wrote:
Page 1 of 1 [ 28 posts ] 

Board index » General » Trial Minutes