Board index » General » Trial Minutes

Page 1 of 1[ 19 posts ]

Capcom shares insight into DD, AA6 - NintendoEverythingTopic%20Title

Quote:
Last month’s issue of Nintendo Dream has a big interview with Takeshi Yamazaki and Motohide Eshiro from Capcom about all things Ace Attorney. The two developers provided some interesting insight into Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Dual Destinies as well as Ace Attorney 6. It’s several pages long, so we went ahead and made a summary.

http://nintendoeverything.com/capcom-sh ... ttorney-6/

There are some really interesting tidbits, e.g. Yamazaki actually wanted to quit developing AA games after Dual Destinies, but Eshiro convinced him to continue by letting him meet and greet enthusiastic Western fans in San Diego. But as a consequence Yamazaki now has a sub-director (Takuro Fuse) to relieve him of some of his work.

They were also asked if they ever wanted to publish two versions of an Ace Attorney game (imagine AA red and AA blue). At first they found this idea interesting, but then they realized they would need to create double the amount of cases. This would also increase the development time of a new entry by several years.

So a possible reason why AAI2 is so much better than AAI1 is because Yamazaki could completely concentrate on the scenario and didn't need to worry about the engine or new gameplay.
Now with Dual Destinies there apparently was also the problem that he had not only to write the whole scenario but also needed to help with the new 3D setting and gameplay.
But with AA6 he can once again focus completely on the scenario (especially with Fuse as a Co-Director responsible for art designs and gameplay), so I expect a similar improvement from AA5 to AA6 as we saw from AAI1 to AAI2.
Re: Capcom shares insight into DD, AA6 - NintendoEverythingTopic%20Title

supercalifragilisticexpialidocious?

This was such an interesting read! <3 I knew great things are to come for AA6! I'm so excited :D

Thanks for sharing! :)

The cape is self-fluttering

Lusankya wrote:
There are some really interesting tidbits, e.g. Yamazaki actually wanted to quit developing AA games after Dual Destinies, but Eshiro convinced him to continue by letting him meet and greet enthusiastic Western fans in San Diego. But as a consequence Yamazaki now has a sub-director (Takuro Fuse) to relieve him of some of his work.

Wow, to think how close they came to not continuing the non-DGS series.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

Jean Descole wrote:
Lusankya wrote:

Wow, to think how close they came to not continuing the non-DGS series.

If they continued it without Takumi, they would have probably continued it without Yamazaki, and just put someone else in charge again.

Zoinks

Quote:
some of them even learned Japanese just to be able to play Ace Attorney Investigations 2 (not available in the west).

This was the most incredible part to me. That's dedication, right there.
3DS Friend Code: 5129-1407-0950

| -#courtrecords- | -Last.fm- | -Twitter- |

What did he do this time...?

There's some interesting insight here. I am now expecting a better plot in AA6, so I hope they can deliver there.

I find it hilarious that they considered making two different games at once. Just because Pokemon and Fire Emblem are doing it does not mean that Ace Attorney can do it too.
Want to play my custom-made Ace Attorney case made on Ace Attorney Online? (you must be using Firefox to run it)
Turnabout Destiny

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

Danchat wrote:
There's some interesting insight here. I am now expecting a better plot in AA6, so I hope they can deliver there.

I find it hilarious that they considered making two different games at once. Just because Pokemon and Fire Emblem are doing it does not mean that Ace Attorney can do it too.

I think it would have been a good idea, with one following Phoenix in Kurain, while the other follows Apollo in Japanifornia. But still, "逆転裁判6:成歩堂バーション" and "逆転裁判6:王泥喜バーション" ("Gyakuten Saiban 6: Naruhodo Version" and "Gyakuten Saiban 6: Odoroki Version") would sound dumb.
POHLKUNKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

This is some rather interesting info. I had already suspected the difference in quality between AAI and AAI2 to be for similar reasons, so hopefully there'll be a similar change in AA6. Also, apparently Fuse will be in charge of the gameplay this time, so maybe he will make the game harder than Yamazaki did?

Oh, and they also said the game was almost finished. Maybe that means the game will be released soon.
Signature loading, please wait...

Racing through the sky like a Missile

Danchat wrote:

I would definitely prefer that they focus on bringing out one complete version, as it saves everyone a lot of trouble. But, I wouldn't mind seeing what they could come up with if they did take the parallel universes idea seriously. The AA games have always been largely linear, aside from a few of the games with multiple endings. However, the bad endings are never considered canon, so there wouldn't be nearly as much work put into them. They're basically there for extra perspective.

It's for the better that they leave the AUs to the fanbase, though. This sort of plan can lead to some nasty pitfalls in the scenario and be easy to leave open some plot holes.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
Danchat wrote:

I would definitely prefer that they focus on bringing out one complete version, as it saves everyone a lot of trouble. But, I wouldn't mind seeing what they could come up with if they did take the parallel universes idea seriously. The AA games have always been largely linear, aside from a few of the games with multiple endings. However, the bad endings are never considered canon, so there wouldn't be nearly as much work put into them. They're basically there for extra perspective.

It's for the better that they leave the AUs to the fanbase, though. This sort of plan can lead to some nasty pitfalls in the scenario and be easy to leave open some plot holes.

It almost seemed to me like they were just agreeing with the interviewer that the idea could be a good one and not, as the interviewer wrote, "Eshiro and Yamazaki almost agreed to that, but suddenly countered by saying if they were to do such a thing, they need to make even more episodes in each version." It sounds maybe like the author was reading too much into that, as I doubt they would do that considering the amount of work involved.

I wonder what specifically they mean by putting the finishing touches and how far along they really are? I guess we'll find out in a week.

I really liked DD but I would bet this game will be better, at least in the sense of a more cohesive and refined vision.
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

A New Chapter of Trials!

Wow, I'm really surprised that Yamazaki almost quit after DD. I'm glad we still have him around! It sounds an awful lot like AA6 is near the end of it's development cycle too, exciting!
Eureka!

I write to share my madness with all.

I found several points of interest in this interview. The first being that as has been pointed out a couple times, Yamazaki almost quit after Dual Destinies, and it said that it's because he was in charge of most things. This seems to indicate that regardless of director, Ace Attorney is at its best when the scenario/writing is given the proper attention it deserves.

Quote:
Leifa being an opponent to Phoenix despite being labeled as a heroine will offer something fresh in this series. Typically, heroines stand right next to the protagonist.

I really like the sound of this. It seems like Leifa has her reasons for being the way she is, and she'll be written in a compelling manner as result.

Quote:
There’s also talk about the flow of the scenario writing. First, Yamazaki determines the general direction. Then it’s brushed up through discussions with other writers. Each episode has its own writer in charge. Ideas for the episodes are talked about with each respective writers to solidify them, creating an imagery of writing the story in tandem.

Huh, I never realized that's how it was under Yamazaki. I already knew that Takumi prefers to be entirely responsible for the story, good and bad.

But having a large team with a head writer in charge certainly has its own merits as well. As Yamazaki and his team can now focus entirely on the scenario, I think we'll get a better story as a result.

Although it does make me wonder if previous Yamazaki games were like this as well. Like, I'd like to shake the hand of the people who gave us The Inherited Turnabout, my personal favorite case.
I fell into fanfic hell many years ago. This place is my home now.

Athena Internet Defense Force

Uh-oh, evidence of zombie franchise rears its head again...

The miracle never happen

I really hope AA6 will be like GK2, the great game that comes after the mediocre, that would be cool, and I seriously hope that it will be the game I've been waiting for, and this interview definitely made it seem that way, new 3D models from scratch, two directors, one for the art/gameplay, and one for the story, this should be great, as long as no stupid mistakes are made.
(Also fans learned Japanese just to play GK2? Jesus, the dedication man.)
"There is but one last shred of cheer for a soul far beyond redemption: The bitter darkness that lies at the very bottom of this mug."
-Diego Armando

迷探偵

Snowthefirst wrote:
Although it does make me wonder if previous Yamazaki games were like this as well. Like, I'd like to shake the hand of the people who gave us The Inherited Turnabout, my personal favorite case.

I don't know about the exact team dynamics for his older games, but yeah, Yamazaki has always worked with other writers, with him as the head. I gathered all the writers for the series in this post.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

I had always just assumed that there were multiple writers in charge of the games just because there's always a lot of them in the credits (weren't Takumi and Yamazaki both writers for AJ?). I think sometimes the ownership of the success of the game (or failure) is thrust completely onto the person who the fandom knows to be in charge (in films, we often consider the Director as the all-encompassing reason for why a film is the way it is when that's not nearly as true as we think it is in most cases; in AA we generally consider the head writer as being the responsible one). It's similar to the famous Auteur theory of films, which I'm not particularly a fan of but seems to have entered into the mainstream's perception of media and art. I think that's why a lot of the debates regarding Yamazaki and Takumi put too much emphasis on them rather than the collaborative group that creates these games. This isn't to say Takumi and Yamazaki don't have a major influence and at the end of the day are the decision makers, but they don't write every line of dialogue and every line of code themselves). Bringing in the corporate and financial side of things affects the game even more; I doubt Yamazaki and his team would have returned to Phoenix as the main character if Capcom hadn't made them. Yamazaki obviously seems very interested in Apollo as a character.
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

迷探偵

D.A. McCoy wrote:
(weren't Takumi and Yamazaki both writers for AJ?).

The (Japanese) staff roll credits Yamazaki for planning (together with Keisuke YAMAKAWA). Takumi is credited for "original story" (scenario), as well as supervising director (the actual director being Mitsuru ENDO).

Planning is a rather broad job, including setting up the whole development cycle, making a development schedule, helping out with the direction of the story etc, etc. So Yamazaki might have helped with the story, but there's no way saying (For all we know, it might've been Yamakawa who did all that!). Yamazaki is not credited as a writer, that's all we can say for sure.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

Ash wrote:
D.A. McCoy wrote:
(weren't Takumi and Yamazaki both writers for AJ?).

The (Japanese) staff roll credits Yamazaki for planning (together with Keisuke YAMAKAWA). Takumi is credited for "original story" (scenario), as well as supervising director (the actual director being Mitsuru ENDO).

Planning is a rather broad job, including setting up the whole development cycle, making a development schedule, helping out with the direction of the story etc, etc. So Yamazaki might have helped with the story, but there's no way saying (For all we know, it might've been Yamakawa who did all that!). Yamazaki is not credited as a writer, that's all we can say for sure.

Ok, thanks for looking into that. I know I saw him somewhere in the credits, and it made me wonder how involved he was in AJ as it's my favorite game but it's reception much like AAI and DD tends to be mixed sometimes.

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

I imagine Yamazaki being planner involved crafting scenarios for mysteries. I think the whole deal with the stage in 4-3 felt really AAI-esque.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney
Page 1 of 1 [ 19 posts ] 

Board index » General » Trial Minutes