Board index » General » Trial Minutes

Page 2 of 3[ 91 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Re: Ace Attorney 6 Official JP Blog now live!Topic%20Title

Art Person

Blizdi wrote:
Klonoahedgehog wrote:
linkenski wrote:
On another note, hey Yamazaki is a big metal gear fan? That's nice, maybe we can have more references!

That actually explains that extremely forced metal gear joke in 5-3

Excuse me? That's no more forced than "That is SPARDA." and other pop culture jokes in Takumi games.

Remember that game predicted the Harlem Shake meme before it was a meme (With Grossberg's haemorrhoids)!

That SPARDA one was brilliant though! And they re-used it in DD XD (That DLC case made so many references XD 50 shades of grey AND Sharknado)

Gardevoir lover

SuperAj3 wrote:
That SPARDA one was brilliant though! And they re-used it in DD XD (That DLC case made so many references XD 50 shades of grey AND Sharknado)

I loved the sharknado joke. I just loved 5-DLC in general really.

The fifty shades of grey one was still kind of cringeworthy though, basically the 5-3 jokes kind of fell flat.

My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/

迷探偵

Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
That joke was exclusive to localization. It's got nothing to do with Yamazaki.

Precisely. In fact, most of the pop reference jokes are in fact exclusive to the localization. Takumi and Yamazaki (+ subordinate script writers) do use them occassionally, but a lot of their jokes are a lot more manzai-ish, with many boke comments followed by tsukkomi comments by whoever is the protagonist at the time.

It's pretty funny if you think about it, but a lot of what people experience as typical Ace Attorney, or even typical Takumi/Yamazaki/other involved writers, is actually localization exclusive.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

Mia Payne

SuperAj3 wrote:
Remember that game predicted the Harlem Shake meme before it was a meme (With Grossberg's haemorrhoids)!)

What? No... Harlem Shake has been a dance since 1981

Art Person

Blizdi wrote:
SuperAj3 wrote:
Remember that game predicted the Harlem Shake meme before it was a meme (With Grossberg's haemorrhoids)!)

It was a joke XD Because back when that was a Youtube hit people thought it was an in-game reference to that (When the game was translated well before that youtube thing).

Racing through the sky like a Missile

Ash wrote:
That joke was exclusive to localization. It's got nothing to do with Yamazaki.

Precisely. In fact, most of the pop reference jokes are in fact exclusive to the localization. Takumi and Yamazaki (+ subordinate script writers) do use them occassionally, but a lot of their jokes are a lot more manzai-ish, with many boke comments followed by tsukkomi comments by whoever is the protagonist at the time.

It's pretty funny if you think about it, but a lot of what people experience as typical Ace Attorney, or even typical Takumi/Yamazaki/other involved writers, is actually localization exclusive.

Speaking of pop references, I have long been on the lookout for a list of them made in the Japanese versions, but have found nothing, not even on hoso_boso's rather complete-looking collection of trivia. I have spotted at least two, maybe three instances of JJBA refs throughout the series. (And every one of them is golden.)

Straying on a tangent here, but I've been curious for a good while about Gumshoe's song in 3-5, which he sings to Kudo's theme. Apparently, in the English, it's a ref to Bob Marley. I have no idea what it is in the Japanese.

Anyway, the manzai-ish comedy does translate very well to English, since it's that sort of comedy just about anyone can get behind. It's kinda disappointing, really, how comedic duos have lessened in popularity in the west. I really wonder why.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

迷探偵

Straying on a tangent here, but I've been curious for a good while about Gumshoe's song in 3-5, which he sings to Kudo's theme. Apparently, in the English, it's a ref to Bob Marley. I have no idea what it is in the Japanese.

Pretty sure it's not a reference to something in particular in the Japanese version. Takumi just wrote out enka-ish lyrics to go with the song. Takumi uses few direct referential jokes, and we know from the Steel Samurai lyrics that Takumi does write random lyrics to songs just because he feels like it, so I don't think there's something big behind the song.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Anyway, the manzai-ish comedy does translate very well to English, since it's that sort of comedy just about anyone can get behind. It's kinda disappointing, really, how comedic duos have lessened in popularity in the west. I really wonder why.

Because stand-up is the shit, would be my guess. Although lately the "comment on a video and make jokes" gag has seemed to rise in popularity due in no small part thanks to YouTube.

But it's funny you mention the duo comedy, because even if it isn't technically duo comedy, Takumi's games always invoke a slight sense of Monty Python to me.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

Gardevoir lover

SuperAj3 wrote:

It was a joke XD Because back when that was a Youtube hit people thought it was an in-game reference to that (When the game was translated well before that youtube thing).[/quote]
I can see where they made the connection though, the case takes place in the same year the Harlem shake was popular,

wilddrawfour.tumblr.com

wasn't the whole point of Athena and the analytical psychology bit... to revolutionize the courtroom? It's not a re-hash per se, but it doesn't seem to be brand-spanking new idea to me. I mean the trailers called Athena the Courtroom Revolutionnaire... :athena:

HERE COME DAT SPIRIT MEDIUM!

Once again (as with DAotL) I think the theme is rather loosely applied and probably won't be the central theme even if the characters keep spouting it. Athena was a revolutionaire according to trailers but she didn't really use that slogan a lot in the game and she was more focused on pointing out how handy her abilities was than to be all high and mighty about it.

I also don't see how it would've revolutionized the court because two people know how to use psychology. Phoenix has used psychological manipulation multiple times too without tricks or gadgets so it's really just some fancy-talk to label it a new age of the court.

Then again, the courtroom revolution theme is fitting in AA6's premise because we know their law in Khura'in is out of order with defense attorneys being cast out or executed and that it makes sense if the plot ends with a reformation of their law that allows defense attorneys to defend again regularly. At the same time I hope the game explores the idea of Phoenix having to disprove the belief in spirituality to get emancipated the need for actual lawyers instead, but in turn he has to cross Maya's beliefs or his own mantra that the very notion of "belief" is required to find the truth in every case.

There's a lot of ground for AA6 to stand on for sure, but as with anything it all just comes down to how it's executed. They just need to keep whoever scriptwriter it was who wrote 5-3 and its "end justifies the means" talk out of tackling the more introspective aspects of AA6 :will:

New entry:
http://www.capcom.co.jp/gyakutensaiban/ ... 60530.html

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

Also, did anyone notice the orchestra hit in the new AA6 TV spot (along with some faint added percussion)?

...Proper variation of Pursuit theme confirmed.
POHLKUNKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Art Person

I'm going through the new blog post now and it's written by Daigo (?) one of the planners.
The beginning's him saying the advantage of trying out the 3DS demo over the web demo, then I think he talks about meeting Yamazaki? He's very animated in his writing XD

Yes, he mentions the 3DS demo comes with five new power-ups, four of which aren't actually included. Those who've played the demo know it's got an extra 3D intro with the game. The rest - the demo trailer, Rayfa's dance, Mitamaru, and the animated opening - are waiting in the final release.

His discussion with Yamazaki revolves around the Khura'inese treasure box and its development into what is shown in the 3DS demo. First from a 2D backdrop, to a 3D model, to a spinning 3D model, to a spinning 3D model lifting from the 2D backdrop. Apparently, this is enough to cause Daigo, Designer, & Programmer to snap and revolt... except they didn't, and came out with a beautifully animated intro.

At the very end are a few more quips between Yamazaki and Daigo and how the latter seemed to rip off the former's idea of "revolution". Daigo then revolutionized Yamazaki's face. It seems their special effects artist Ms. Akitsuki is appearing for the next entry.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu

迷探偵

Yes, he mentions the 3DS demo comes with five new power-ups, four of which aren't actually included.

Not included in the store demo. Obviously, all the 'power-ups' are present in the 3DS demo.

New blog post is up, by the Special Effects Akitsuki folk. They certainly looks like a much more composed bloke than the other previous two ;)

http://www.capcom.co.jp/gyakutensaiban/ ... 60602.html
ImageImageImage

Art Person

I'm reading it now, and yeah she's a lot more calmer and easier to follow!

So he's the guy that made the Divination Seance effects? Interesting how some of her ideas included using a doll, or having the scene of the crime be recreated in the smoke from an incense burner. (That would be cool to see! But yeah, animating the smoke moving to create pictures might be tough)

Next time it's on the scenario with one of the scenario writers Fukuda-san.

Last edited by SuperAj3 on Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lady Akitsuki. She's known to be the voice of reason amid all the madness of the other devs. I find her sense of humor on the cute side of things... like how she compared the production of GS6 to storing and distributing delicacies for everyone.

Interestingly, she mentions a couple examples they tried before finalizing the water mirror idea: puppet possession and ghostly apparitions - both of which seemed a bit too out there and creepy, so were tossed.

Next week, we're getting the Scenario Writer Fukuda discussing the early stages of drafting the story and plot.

迷探偵

I find her sense of humor on the cute side of things... like how she compared the production of GS6 to storing and distributing delicacies for everyone.

It wasn't really a comparison: she was just saying that her job (effects) consisted of keeping the snack table stocked. Which is a lie. But not really.

Quote:
Next week, we're getting the Scenario Writer Fukuda discussing the early stages of drafting the story and plot.

To be more precise, Fukuda will be writing about something that has not been mentioned yet about the creating the scenario (not specifically the early stages).

I just got an amazing line from this using Google Translate.

Quote:
"Yamazaki history of mortal combat with the D"

So I guess he has a history of being in mortal company with the D :S

迷探偵

linkenski wrote:
I just got an amazing line from this using Google Translate.

Quote:
"Yamazaki history of mortal combat with the D"

So I guess he has a history of being in mortal company with the D :S

That's not Google Translate, that's what Daigo really wrote. "Today, I want to tell you about my history of mortal combat with Director Yamazaki".

Art Person

「山崎D」means "Director Yamazaki" in the context it was written in, but that whole "mortal combat with the D" has a... slang interpretation that I think linkenski's referring to. (I'm not explaining it, so it should be safe to say this.)

Yamazaki has long been confirmed (in Daigo's blog entries) to be a D. This should come as no surprise.

A Kirby and AA fan

I never expected him to be a D man. I've always thought he was more a V man.
But hey, not that there's anything wrong with being a D man...

Art Person

Nurio wrote:
I never expected him to be a D man. I've always thought he was more a V man.
But hey, not that there's anything wrong with being a D man...

The URL to that vid really does help explain this even further LOL

And the latest entry is online: http://www.capcom.co.jp/gyakutensaiban/ ... 60606.html

It's apparently about how they created the scenario etc.

Mia Payne

Lusankya wrote:
And the latest entry is online: http://www.capcom.co.jp/gyakutensaiban/ ... 60606.html

It's apparently about how they created the scenario etc.

Quote:
"That hot discussion in the meeting rooms will be exchanged until midnight also often ‥‥.
Appearance of Yamazaki D to dream up ideas while wandering walked dizzy and in-house as of Kitaro Nishida to walk the road of philosophy,"

I wish Yamazaki D appeared at midnight in my dreams to induce hot discussion...

(Great read btw, very insightful :D)

Art Person

Started reading the article and I want this:
Quote:
「ナルホドを違法な地下裁判所で戦わせよう!」

Shady underground court!
Think Borscht Bowl Club style shady, with Nick defedning some Yakuza dude against a mob boss!

Also, they mentioned zombies. My GS7 prediction was not off mark!

迷探偵

Today's entry is by Fukuda, who's been responsible for both planning and the scenario. Today's topic is about the scenario, but as he obviously can spoil the story, he explains who the AA6 team worked on the scenario. Roughly put, the process has the following phases:

1) Brainstorming. Once the team has been decided, the scenario team, led by Yamazaki, set out to decide the game's overall theme and setting. They basically throw out any ideas they have. As it's brainstorming, they can't shoot down each other's ideas, it's just coming up with ideas, because you never know what may come out. Examples he gives are:
a) What about a case about the Olympic Games!
b) Let's have Phoenix fight in an illegal underground court!
c) Let's have the victim on the witness stand as a zombie!

Of course, Ace Attorney has been around for a long time, so what they are looking for are "ideas that build on the fundamentals of the existing works, but are still surprising and fresh". To do so, they also research and analyze all the previous works (not just AA5), go through user reviews etc. "What makes Ace Attoney, Ace Attorney?". "What makes Ace Attorney fun as a game". With a clear picture of the answer in their minds, they eventually decide on the overall theme and concept. Then it's to the next phase.

2) Plotting. Here they decide on the overall story of each separate episode. The 'building plans' of the game. Questions they look at here are for example:
a) How should the level design be? (i.e. difficulty)
b) What will happen when and where, and how does this develop the story?
c) Where will we pull the player in and surprise them?

Once the plots are ready, they review them within the team, pointing out bottlenecks if present etc. They discuss each episode thoroughly. The discussions take up a lot of time, as they often remained in the meeting rooms until very late at night or stayed cooped up in the meeting room for days. But once the plots are finished, they can go to the next phase.

3) Scenario writing. Here the individual talents of each writer come alive. Some are better at coming at a mystery plot, some are better in conversation writing, some better at comedy. That's why the scenario writing isn't finished when the main writer is finished: many lively discussions follow. It's this 'chemical reaction' with the others which helps make the scenarios better. And when the scenarios are finished, there's one more stage to go through.

4) Direction (presentation). Because Ace Attorney is a game, direction is also very important. Graphics, music and sound effects all make the scenario come alive. And the more potential a scenario has, the higher levels the direction/presentation can reach. The person responsible for this will probably write about this on the blog.

Fukuda describes the AA6 team which makes games in a logical way, with a clear order of thing to do. There is a certain logic to what makes a good scenario. Like how karate has basic 'kata', there are also basic 'kata' to master when writing. So a fun scenario comes from 'logic'. On the other hand, they aren't just mass producing something, but they are aiming to make a unique work. To present the players with a game that is filled with fun and shocks, they also need to hit upon great ideas, and have the passion to make a good game.

And has AA6 become a good game? That's for the players to decide. The next entry will be on the release date of the game, and will be done by producer Eshiro.

迷探偵

SuperAj3 wrote:
Started reading the article and I want this:
Quote:
「ナルホドを違法な地下裁判所で戦わせよう!」

Shady underground court!
Think Borscht Bowl Club style shady, with Nick defedning some Yakuza dude against a mob boss!

That could well be the case Phoenix talked about in Project X Zone 2, where he got Majima (of all people!) off the hook in a case involving the Tojo Clan.

Ash wrote:
Today's entry is by Fukuda, who's been responsible for both planning and the scenario. Today's topic is about the scenario, but as he obviously can spoil the story, he explains who the AA6 team worked on the scenario. Roughly put, the process has the following phases:

[...]
And has AA6 become a good game? That's for the players to decide. The next entry will be on the release date of the game, and will be done by producer Eshiro.

Thank you, that's really interesting. When I remember correctly Takumi is the only writer of his scenarios, right? Do we know exactly how Takumi's games were usually developed? I think AA1's plot was basically completely his work from scenario drafting to finish writing all the text.

Gardevoir lover

Ash wrote:
a) What about a case about the Olympic Games!
b) Let's have Phoenix fight in an illegal underground court!
c) Let's have the victim on the witness stand as a zombie!

I... Wha?

I'm trying to imagine how any of these would play out, but all that comes to mind is stuff like that one episode of Batman TAS where Batman was kidnapped to a courtroom made up of his old villains, Mario and Phoenix at the olympic games and Resident Attorney.

How would you even make cases around that?

Makes me wonder how conversations in the offices are like and if anybody just plainly asks "Can we have a more domestic case?" or something along those lines and everyone ignores and tries to come up with some of the most over the top ideas ever.

Blah!

Prior blog posts had jokes in the form of outrageous actions or ideas played straight, so I imagine the same thing applies here.

Lusankya wrote:

Thank you, that's really interesting. When I remember correctly Takumi is the only writer of his scenarios, right? Do we know exactly how Takumi's games were usually developed? I think AA1's plot was basically completely his work from scenario drafting to finish writing all the text.

Yes, Takumi on every project except AJAA and PLvPWAA was the sole director/planner/scenario writer. It was all exclusively ideas from his own head except the art director and co-workers probably give a lot of feedback too.

迷探偵

blahmoomoo wrote:
Prior blog posts had jokes in the form of outrageous actions or ideas played straight, so I imagine the same thing applies here.

That said though, I can easily see why these ideas would've come up in a brainstorm session, as they can lead to solid settings for interesting mystery stories. Actually, as a frequent reader of mystery fiction, I'm more surprised that people wouldn't see the potential in these ideas (of course, they don't work 'as is' in Ace Attorney, but that's why they're brainstorming in the early stages of the process).

Olympic Games: you could have a murder that could apparently could only have been committed by someone skilled in a certain sport. Or a murder during the opening ceremony, with countless of witnesses. There's potential for an international cast with various sporters. Loads of potential.

Underground court: Heck, Van Madoy wrote a whole novel series about a private trial set in Kyoto. Again, a lot of potential for interesting mystery plots. Great way to have trials with new twists, like different rules. Madoy's Revoir series was pretty cool, as everybody could even come up with fake evidence, as long as the other party couldn't prove it wasn't fake! The underground setting could also mean that there are a lot of witnesses who want to remain unknown, adding tension in the investigation segments.

Zombie: it's not that far away from spirit channeling, actually. And you don't have to take it literally. The common image of a zombie is an undead with limited powers of speech and weakened senses. So that would make interpretation of the testimony more difficult -> isn't that what AA6 is all about?

Blah!

Considering we have a case that involves time travel (even if it probably won't be real time travel), I see your point, Ash.

迷探偵

linkenski wrote:
Lusankya wrote:

Yes, Takumi on every project except AJAA and PLvPWAA was the sole director/planner/scenario writer. It was all exclusively ideas from his own head except the art director and co-workers probably give a lot of feedback too.

Yamazaki was also a planner for AA1DS (as well as for AA4, together with Keisuke Yamakawa). It's not exactly clear how much Takumi discussed with the planners/director for AA4, though he did mention in Capcom Sound Sphere podcast that 'this time they were with four of them' (as opposed to having to do everything himself), and he mentions specifically both director Endo and Yamazaki as being knowledgable about mystery fiction, so I'm going to guess that Takumi might've talked a bit about the scenario with at least them (Yamakawa was described as the strange new kid, but little information about his work, though Takumi did take him with him to Ghost Trick...).

As for feedback, Takumi did mention specifically Suekane (art) as being the person who actually pointed the necessity of actually writing characters to him and gave him pointers about that when they made the first game. Up until then, he was only thinking about mystery fiction.

Makes sense considering Suekane is a manga illustrator. Sometimes I wish she would return to make games with Takumi. Her artstyle was so charming and quirky.

迷探偵

Guess nobody bothered with this since the release, but a quick summary of the last three entries:

June 13: Hirata is apparently not only the only female in the programming team, but also the youngest member. Her jobs include preparing 'scripts', helping with the tool to make scripts and memory loading outside the actual game. For the Ace Attorney team, a 'script' is a simple piece of programming that allows them to control what appears on screen/on the speakers. So from the character models, to background, music, text boxes, the actual text to the UI, it's all controlled by a script. Scripts are made based on the scenario of the game, and because the scenarios were changed quite often (little improvements, additional text etc.), she too had to update the script every time.

June 16: Onishi is of the direction (presentation) team, and they are the ones who take the prepared scripts and really finish off the presentation of the game. Hence their titles of "scripters". They are the ones that add in all the effects and reactions to each and every line, timing of those movements etc. This job has existed ever since the first Ace Attorney game, but it's a lot more work nowadays, as they also have to do 3D camerawork etc. Also, because all the characters are 3D models now, they also make sure they load in each model in advance in the memory so the game runs smoothly. For something iike certain series of testimonies where the text beeps actually go with the rhythm of the BGM, they had to work together with the sound people to put markers in the music files, and time them up with the text flow.

June 20: Background design Ishikawa also worked on AA5, and he had hoped to use all his experience with that game for this game, but alas, most of the game was set in a completely different place. Having been described what kind of place the Kingdom of Kurain was, he came up with some concept designs you can see in his blog entry, like a courtroom on top of a pyramid (it's also at that stage he came up with the prototype of the Magataman). In the end, he realized *he* wasn't making the Kingdom of Kurain. It's the inhabitants of that place who decide how their country looks like. So after a few months, he finally came up with the now familiar Kurain courtroom, with the butterfly and magatama designs and the water mirror in the center.

Next up is Nakano of UI.
Page 2 of 3 [ 91 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » General » Trial Minutes